Author Topic: $100k to be a single dad or travel the world?  (Read 29761 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: $100k to be a single dad or travel the world?
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2019, 07:21:17 AM »
The only aspect that I would comment on that generates concern is whether the birth mother/surrogate would be around to nurse the baby and nurture it in infancy.   I realize that many infants aren't breastfed and many don't have their mother present but to intentionally exclude that part of the bonding, feeding and mothering for lack of a better word, would seem sad to me.

I wasn’t breastfed. Neither were any siblings or cousins or parents. Lots of people I grew up with weren’t breastfed. I have friends who can’t breastfeed for various reasons. I would still feed the kid and we’d bond. I’ve been told there are also milk banks, but formula will be fine and has its own advantages.

I also meant and obviously didn't express this well, that excluding a mother from the infant's life, intentionally due to your current situation, seems sad to me.
Again, JMHO.

Sure. There’s lots of things that are sad: infertility, losing babies, marriages crumbling under the weight, watching families with 2 parents hurt and abuse children, men abandoning women and letting children grow up fatherless, etc. I could wallow in the sadness or I could do act. I could look at how to get the tummy mummy involved, or ensure there are plenty of women around who love my kid, and ensure I love my kid and I’m present the child every day. I can do something about the sadness. Will life be perfect? Nope, no one gets a perfect life. No one. I can choose to the best parent I can be every day. That’s what matters.

A-fuckin-men

For some reason, you are being held to a higher standard than most people who choose to reproduce P-in-V style.

I've seen countless cases of people having babies in circumstances that would be considered "sad" or "tragic" and yet nobody really thinks much of it because babies were conceived in loooooooooooooove or whatever. 

Bitches gonna judge.

Be a crazy good dad, hope your kid doesn't end up a serial killer or something, and don't worry too much about the opinions of people on the internet.
Sane parents don't do that...they just feel guilty about everything in general...always...yeah...you're kind of fucked.

From the OP:
"Anyways, love your thoughts, but please be gentle as this is quite personal and sensitive and I’m not looking at getting into an argument with anyone. If you can’t have kids and you want them, it sucks so much you wouldn’t believe it. "

The OP asked for thoughts.  I didn't attack him, I didn't curse at him, I didn't denigrate him.  I gave my thoughts.
The opinion, or judgement or thoughts, as he included above was how he was framing the discussion.

Now, obviously, he doesn't agree and perhaps doesn't want to hear any thoughts that might point out a downside such as that which I shared.
But, he has opened it up in a public forum and is bound to get opinions that are different than his own.
Again, I constructed my response as respectfully as possible considering that I was presenting something that is what I consider a major flaw in his plan.
A pre-meditated choice.   Not equivalent to some of the examples that he gave which are circumstances often well beyond the control of the individual(loss of a child, infertility, domestic abuse, death, etc....)

I would hope that one could have a reasonable discourse here but your best response was:
Bitches gonna judge.

One will just have to consider the source.....

Sorry to offend.
"Bitches gonna judge" is one of my catch phrases said generally to mean that no matter what decisions one makes that they will be judged by people, so trying to avoid judgement is impossible and pointless.

For what it's worth I do think your input was well written and thoughtful and valuable, and I don't find your posts to be overly judgemental at all. Also, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that what you are saying isn't important to hear and consider.

My response is more a general criticism of the fact that society will seem hold him to a much higher standard than couples who have children in all sorts of circumstances.

I could have been more thoughtful of how you would read my reply and said something like "this is not an attack on pp, as they have posted an opinion I disagree with rather thoughtfully and it's worth seeing this from both sides" but I admittedly wasn't thinking of you, I was just thinking of OP when I replied, which was inconsiderate on my part since I quoted you.

I might be a bitch, but I'm not a total bitch, so I'm sorry.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2019, 07:28:57 AM »
All good....thanks for your reply....

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2019, 08:13:52 AM »
Is there a way to DIY surrogacy? Without going through an agency and contracting directly with the surrogate? It may be exponentially cheaper to go that route, but I don’t know the legal implications.

I have colleagues who practice surrogacy law, so depending on your state I may be able to get some names/referrals for you (I have an extended network I can reach out to, too). DM me if that’s something you’d like me to look into for you.

Good luck.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2019, 11:34:40 AM »
Is there a way to DIY surrogacy? Without going through an agency and contracting directly with the surrogate? It may be exponentially cheaper to go that route, but I don’t know the legal implications.

I have colleagues who practice surrogacy law, so depending on your state I may be able to get some names/referrals for you (I have an extended network I can reach out to, too). DM me if that’s something you’d like me to look into for you.

Good luck.

Thank you and I might take you up on that. I’d be quite concerned about the DIY route only because of the various complexities and this isn’t the type of thing you want to mess up. It also would require me finding on my own a donor and surrogate, the clinics and then all of the legal work to be coordinated. Some surrogacy centers have a DIY type of service where they will consult with you and help you along, it might save around $20-40k. I think if I do this I have to go all in and not really get hung up on the cost, it’s incredibly expensive. The only way I know how to make it cheaper would mean losing knowing who the tummy mommy is and that connection and I think I want that so the kid feels some connection.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: January 31, 2019, 11:39:47 AM »

Good luck.

Thank you and I might take you up on that. I’d be quite concerned about the DIY route only because of the various complexities and this isn’t the type of thing you want to mess up. It also would require me finding on my own a donor and surrogate, the clinics and then all of the legal work to be coordinated. Some surrogacy centers have a DIY type of service where they will consult with you and help you along, it might save around $20-40k. I think if I do this I have to go all in and not really get hung up on the cost, it’s incredibly expensive. The only way I know how to make it cheaper would mean losing knowing who the tummy mommy is and that connection and I think I want that so the kid feels some connection.
That makes sense. I think even within your parameters you have some wiggle room. Depending on whether you want the donor to be a specific person and/or separate from the surrogate. There are a lot of lower income women who have easy births who enjoy being pregnant that you could look for (they exist!) if you wanted to go that route for a lot less than you’d think. Some even live with you as part of the contract, if you want to go that far (they get free room and board, and you get to see they’re healthy and eating well). Even without that, I’d consult with a surrogacy lawyer too just to make sure you’re preserving all of your rights from the get-go.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: January 31, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »
The only aspect that I would comment on that generates concern is whether the birth mother/surrogate would be around to nurse the baby and nurture it in infancy.   I realize that many infants aren't breastfed and many don't have their mother present but to intentionally exclude that part of the bonding, feeding and mothering for lack of a better word, would seem sad to me.

I wasn’t breastfed. Neither were any siblings or cousins or parents. Lots of people I grew up with weren’t breastfed. I have friends who can’t breastfeed for various reasons. I would still feed the kid and we’d bond. I’ve been told there are also milk banks, but formula will be fine and has its own advantages.

I also meant and obviously didn't express this well, that excluding a mother from the infant's life, intentionally due to your current situation, seems sad to me.
Again, JMHO.

Sure. There’s lots of things that are sad: infertility, losing babies, marriages crumbling under the weight, watching families with 2 parents hurt and abuse children, men abandoning women and letting children grow up fatherless, etc. I could wallow in the sadness or I could do act. I could look at how to get the tummy mummy involved, or ensure there are plenty of women around who love my kid, and ensure I love my kid and I’m present the child every day. I can do something about the sadness. Will life be perfect? Nope, no one gets a perfect life. No one. I can choose to the best parent I can be every day. That’s what matters.

A-fuckin-men

For some reason, you are being held to a higher standard than most people who choose to reproduce P-in-V style.

I've seen countless cases of people having babies in circumstances that would be considered "sad" or "tragic" and yet nobody really thinks much of it because babies were conceived in loooooooooooooove or whatever. 

Bitches gonna judge.

Be a crazy good dad, hope your kid doesn't end up a serial killer or something, and don't worry too much about the opinions of people on the internet.
Sane parents don't do that...they just feel guilty about everything in general...always...yeah...you're kind of fucked.

From the OP:
"Anyways, love your thoughts, but please be gentle as this is quite personal and sensitive and I’m not looking at getting into an argument with anyone. If you can’t have kids and you want them, it sucks so much you wouldn’t believe it. "

The OP asked for thoughts.  I didn't attack him, I didn't curse at him, I didn't denigrate him.  I gave my thoughts.
The opinion, or judgement or thoughts, as he included above was how he was framing the discussion.

Now, obviously, he doesn't agree and perhaps doesn't want to hear any thoughts that might point out a downside such as that which I shared.
But, he has opened it up in a public forum and is bound to get opinions that are different than his own.
Again, I constructed my response as respectfully as possible considering that I was presenting something that is what I consider a major flaw in his plan.
A pre-meditated choice.   Not equivalent to some of the examples that he gave which are circumstances often well beyond the control of the individual(loss of a child, infertility, domestic abuse, death, etc....)

I would hope that one could have a reasonable discourse here but your best response was:
Bitches gonna judge.

I’m not quite sure what would motivate you to write that I perhaps don’t want to hear any thoughts thst point out a downside. I clearly heard you and responded. Just because I have a response that doesn’t confirm with your thinking doesn’t mean you weren’t heard, it just means I didn’t agree with you. I appreciate all opinions and feedback, and the fact that people are taking time from their very busy days to assist me with my issue. I’m still working through this and trying to figure out what’s best, for everyone thst would be affected. You’ve expressed a great deal of sadness at the potential decisions I might make. I get that.  I’m fortunate though to not have to live with your sadness. Whatever decision I make, it will be as thought out as I can make it, and I am comfortable with that level of responsibility and commitment.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2019, 11:48:39 AM »

Good luck.

That makes sense. I think even within your parameters you have some wiggle room. Depending on whether you want the donor to be a specific person and/or separate from the surrogate. There are a lot of lower income women who have easy births who enjoy being pregnant that you could look for (they exist!) if you wanted to go that route for a lot less than you’d think. Some even live with you as part of the contract, if you want to go that far (they get free room and board, and you get to see they’re healthy and eating well). Even without that, I’d consult with a surrogacy lawyer too just to make sure you’re preserving all of your rights from the get-go.

Thank you, much appreciated. Those are great suggestions although I don’t live in the US currently and that would require moving or bringing the person to me, which has so many issues and have to make sure nothing is construed as human trafficking. As mentioned, for a variety of reasons, all the easy and affordable routes are closed to me. Fortunately I have the means to still go down this path, if I want. It would be great to have some surrogacy contacts.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »

Again, JMHO.

A-fuckin-men

Bitches gonna judge.

From the OP:

Bitches gonna judge.

Sorry to offend.
"Bitches gonna judge" is one of my catch phrases said generally to mean that no matter what decisions one makes that they will be judged by people, so trying to avoid judgement is impossible and pointless.

For what it's worth I do think your input was well written and thoughtful and valuable, and I don't find your posts to be overly judgemental at all. Also, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean that what you are saying isn't important to hear and consider.

My response is more a general criticism of the fact that society will seem hold him to a much higher standard than couples who have children in all sorts of circumstances.

I could have been more thoughtful of how you would read my reply and said something like "this is not an attack on pp, as they have posted an opinion I disagree with rather thoughtfully and it's worth seeing this from both sides" but I admittedly wasn't thinking of you, I was just thinking of OP when I replied, which was inconsiderate on my part since I quoted you.

I might be a bitch, but I'm not a total bitch, so I'm sorry.

I love your advice and support and don’t find it bitchy at all. It reminds me that there will be people in my corner passionately supporting me even when it feels like the world is against me. That’s a nice feeling.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread yet, but let me speak from the the following vantage points:
- a close relative went through IVF and had twins in her 50s. She's married but sole breadwinner, was very tired, but things seem to be settling down. 
- my best friend went the sperm bank route at age 42.  She is now considering having another at age 48.
-  I had children at ages 33, 39, and 43. Energy is definitely lower, but we're a lot better off than when we had our first child.

Some questions/thoughts:
- How big and supportive is your extended family? My single mom friend is well off and has a good job, but she has a very small family, and basically she is leaning on her single older brother as a backup.  However, she is determined to have another child, mostly for the sake of her first child. She doesn't want him to be alone in the world when she passes.

- On the subject of extended family, a possible minus to not raising a child with a partner is less extended family... fewer cousins, uncles, aunts, grandparents to play with or spoil your child.  Cousins often play important roles with an only child. If your network is not big, you need to start building up a group of friends as additional mentors and supports for your child.

- On the other hand, my single mom friend (who is divorced but her ex has no relation to her child) clearly relishes not having to deal with in-laws of any sort.

- An advantage you have in being an older single father, is that childbirth will not wreak havoc on your older body. 

- You may not get the kind of kid you thought you would get. And children become adults soon enough.  You may be nodding now and thinking "I know that", but you really don't know until you live it!    Could you do well with living with a young adult who doesn't share your interests or think the way you do-- in fact, seems to go out of his way to be the opposite of you?

- On a more positive note, whatever you do, you're probably not going to regret raising a child. Few people seem to do so. And most people don't consider all this stuff before they become parents, and yet they do, so you'll be ahead of the game.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2019, 02:09:23 AM »
I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread yet, but let me speak from the the following vantage points:
- a close relative went through IVF and had twins in her 50s. She's married but sole breadwinner, was very tired, but things seem to be settling down. 
- my best friend went the sperm bank route at age 42.  She is now considering having another at age 48.
-  I had children at ages 33, 39, and 43. Energy is definitely lower, but we're a lot better off than when we had our first child.

Some questions/thoughts:
- How big and supportive is your extended family? My single mom friend is well off and has a good job, but she has a very small family, and basically she is leaning on her single older brother as a backup.  However, she is determined to have another child, mostly for the sake of her first child. She doesn't want him to be alone in the world when she passes.

- On the subject of extended family, a possible minus to not raising a child with a partner is less extended family... fewer cousins, uncles, aunts, grandparents to play with or spoil your child.  Cousins often play important roles with an only child. If your network is not big, you need to start building up a group of friends as additional mentors and supports for your child.

- On the other hand, my single mom friend (who is divorced but her ex has no relation to her child) clearly relishes not having to deal with in-laws of any sort.

- An advantage you have in being an older single father, is that childbirth will not wreak havoc on your older body. 

- You may not get the kind of kid you thought you would get. And children become adults soon enough.  You may be nodding now and thinking "I know that", but you really don't know until you live it!    Could you do well with living with a young adult who doesn't share your interests or think the way you do-- in fact, seems to go out of his way to be the opposite of you?

- On a more positive note, whatever you do, you're probably not going to regret raising a child. Few people seem to do so. And most people don't consider all this stuff before they become parents, and yet they do, so you'll be ahead of the game.

If my child was a racist, sexist, homophobic serial killer who voted Republican, I’d have some issues, otherwise, you do you kid.

Phoenix_Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2019, 02:42:23 PM »
MTD, here's something else to consider in your FIRE plans with a kid.  You mention that you plan on moving to a LCOL country as part of your FIRE.  If you succeed in having a child, would you still want to move them away from your family?  Having cousins around might be a good experience (although I never had any close), and you might want to have the extended family support, even if you aren't relying on it.  If you were to stay, I am guessing your estimated FIRE expenses would go up.  You might want to estimate expenses if you stayed where you are or something similar versus just assuming you will move no matter what.

Also, I'm in the go for the kid camp!  Good luck!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »
MTD, here's something else to consider in your FIRE plans with a kid.  You mention that you plan on moving to a LCOL country as part of your FIRE.  If you succeed in having a child, would you still want to move them away from your family?  Having cousins around might be a good experience (although I never had any close), and you might want to have the extended family support, even if you aren't relying on it.  If you were to stay, I am guessing your estimated FIRE expenses would go up.  You might want to estimate expenses if you stayed where you are or something similar versus just assuming you will move no matter what.

Thanks. Outside of the first year, it’ll just be me and the kid, without any regular family support, so that’s why I’ll need an au pair or nanny (very affordable in LCOL places), and I’ll have to be very good at meeting other parents with kids for play dates.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2019, 01:12:35 AM »
Been thinking about some points recently made and now thinking that I might need to move back home after I become FI to be around family so the kid is around cousins and everyone. That’s a sacrifice I’ll have to make but I’ll be up for that, as I’m only having one kid and there won’t be siblings.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2019, 10:29:21 AM »

Thanks. Outside of the first year, it’ll just be me and the kid, without any regular family support, so that’s why I’ll need an au pair or nanny (very affordable in LCOL places), and I’ll have to be very good at meeting other parents with kids for play dates.

Can you explain this?  Is your extended family planning on moving away right when your kid turns one?  How do they know that they are going to do this when you haven't even had the kid yet so they don't know the timing?  If your family plans to move away from the area when your kid is one, I revise what I said above.  Raising kids without a partner and without family help is a really tall order.  We're raising our kids without family help as our families are either far away or, in the case of my in-laws, no longer living and it's tough. 

Earlier you said that you'd have extended family help raising the child - but you never mentioned the one year cut off.  I really don't understand this.  I suspect that if your extended family (I'm assuming your parents and siblings) get attached to your child after spending so much time with him/her during the first year they'll probably re-think their moving plans as they'll want to continue to be in his/her life.  In this case, Phoenix's point is a very good one.  You should also think about private school fees as local schooling can be difficult for a western kid in many LCOL parts of the world.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: February 02, 2019, 11:36:02 AM »
Been thinking about some points recently made and now thinking that I might need to move back home after I become FI to be around family so the kid is around cousins and everyone. That’s a sacrifice I’ll have to make but I’ll be up for that, as I’m only having one kid and there won’t be siblings.

I think it's best that way, if you have a good and supportive family.  If something were to happen to my friend as mentioned above, and to her brother (who is older than her and not in the best of health), she has asked me to be her child's guardian, but although I have agreed to adopt her child if necessary, it is a rather large thing to ask of someone not related. Being of limited means and having my own family to care for, I would not have agreed to this for anyone other than a lifelong childhood friend. Good parenting means having at least 2-3 guardians lined up in case of the unexpected. 

As I think about it, becoming a parent often means, paradoxically, accepting that you will become dependent on others more than if you were childless and free.  It is not a bad thing-- probably in fact a good thing-- but you are forced to make more connections with society than you might otherwise choose.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:39:49 AM by Poundwise »

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: February 02, 2019, 12:22:29 PM »

Can you explain this?  Is your extended family planning on moving away right when your kid turns one?  How do they know that they are going to do this when you haven't even had the kid yet so they don't know the timing?  If your family plans to move away from the area when your kid is one, I revise what I said above.  Raising kids without a partner and without family help is a really tall order.  We're raising our kids without family help as our families are either far away or, in the case of my in-laws, no longer living and it's tough. 

Earlier you said that you'd have extended family help raising the child - but you never mentioned the one year cut off.  I really don't understand this.  I suspect that if your extended family (I'm assuming your parents and siblings) get attached to your child after spending so much time with him/her during the first year they'll probably re-think their moving plans as they'll want to continue to be in his/her life.  In this case, Phoenix's point is a very good one.  You should also think about private school fees as local schooling can be difficult for a western kid in many LCOL parts of the world.

Unfortunately I can’t go into detail without it sharing too much information about myself. In short, I don’t live in the US now, but would move home for the kid’s first year, but then need to move back to where I live and have a good job. After about 4-5 more years, I’d FIRE and move back to the US to have the kid around family. So from 1-4ish, the kid would need day care, nanny and/or au pair options while I work. I would travel back and family would visit over that time.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: February 02, 2019, 12:26:48 PM »

I think it's best that way, if you have a good and supportive family.  If something were to happen to my friend as mentioned above, and to her brother (who is older than her and not in the best of health), she has asked me to be her child's guardian, but although I have agreed to adopt her child if necessary, it is a rather large thing to ask of someone not related. Being of limited means and having my own family to care for, I would not have agreed to this for anyone other than a lifelong childhood friend. Good parenting means having at least 2-3 guardians lined up in case of the unexpected. 

As I think about it, becoming a parent often means, paradoxically, accepting that you will become dependent on others more than if you were childless and free.  It is not a bad thing-- probably in fact a good thing-- but you are forced to make more connections with society than you might otherwise choose.

Yes, I’m understanding this more and more as I work through everything. Could I manage by myself if I had to? Of course. But, I have a loving and caring family and we have some new babies in the family so the kid would have cousins in a 3-4 year time frame, which is pretty good, they can all be buddies and there is no logical reason for me to deny that if it’s possible. I can always find time to take the kid on trips and adventures. Not quite sure what I’ll do with my time when kid is in school but I’m sure I’ll find something.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2019, 03:22:03 PM »
Update:

Well, I’m progressing this and it looks like I’m going to give it a go.

Actions so far:
1. Have identified an agency that is responsive, affordable and answering my questions
2. Have set a target date of August this year
3. Have shared with mom and she’s fully supportive and on board
4. Have researched company and government family leave policies (make too much for gov)
5. Have booked in for surrogacy conference where I’ll meet the owner of the agency I like

Once I meet the owner and confirm all my remaining questions I’ll then book appointments for medical testing and psychological counseling (for my own benefit), while continuing to save money for the first stage payment.

Still a long way to go and who knows if a healthy baby will end up in my arms in 18 months, but it won’t be from a lack of love, planning and effort.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2019, 07:37:45 PM »
Congratulations! For what it's worth, I think you'll be a great dad!!!

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2019, 11:53:52 PM »
Congratulations! For what it's worth, I think you'll be a great dad!!!

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Thank you!

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2019, 01:33:40 AM »
I’m struggling with this and trying to work through it. I’m single now and fine with it but there’s a part of me that still would like to raise a child, but I’ll be 50 in a couple of years. If that doesn’t happen, then the plan will be, live my best life traveling the world. Honestly not sure what path to go down as the former is fraught with many concerns. But I’d be such a great dad!

So, Option A, the kid: I’d have to the surrogacy route (please don’t suggest other ways, they’ve all been thought through and won’t work for various reasons). Most places that were more affordable have closed to single men so that basically leaves the US, where it will cost over $100k.  If I go that direction, it would mean putting my FIRE plans on hold for probably 3-5 extra years as all my plans now are focused me as a single guy, not a single parent. That’s not horrible, but to be honest, I’d love to be a SAHP for my kid as much as possible and not work, especially the first 5-7 years, so FIRE would be ideal during that time. It also just feels like so much money, when most people have them for free.  Depressing.

Option B: accept that I’ll always be childless, focus on being child free and a great and generous uncle and FIRE in 4 years, spending my life traveling the globe. Sounds great and I love it, except nothing obsesses me more than watching parents with kids and imagining what my life would be like if I had that? I’m so envious. I think I would trade anything, but then, push come to shove, I wonder because I worry that the cost is too great.

Anyways, love your thoughts, but please be gentle as this is quite personal and sensitive and I’m not looking at getting into an argument with anyone. If you can’t have kids and you want them, it sucks so much you wouldn’t believe it.

Hi, I don't want to suggest anything ill-minded (for the lack of word) but maybe you can move to a third world country and find someone you can fall in love with, and kinda-travel in an exotic country and also get married and have kid all at the same time?

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2019, 02:42:42 AM »
I’m struggling with this and trying to work through it. I’m single now and fine with it but there’s a part of me that still would like to raise a child, but I’ll be 50 in a couple of years. If that doesn’t happen, then the plan will be, live my best life traveling the world. Honestly not sure what path to go down as the former is fraught with many concerns. But I’d be such a great dad!

So, Option A, the kid: I’d have to the surrogacy route (please don’t suggest other ways, they’ve all been thought through and won’t work for various reasons). Most places that were more affordable have closed to single men so that basically leaves the US, where it will cost over $100k.  If I go that direction, it would mean putting my FIRE plans on hold for probably 3-5 extra years as all my plans now are focused me as a single guy, not a single parent. That’s not horrible, but to be honest, I’d love to be a SAHP for my kid as much as possible and not work, especially the first 5-7 years, so FIRE would be ideal during that time. It also just feels like so much money, when most people have them for free.  Depressing.

Option B: accept that I’ll always be childless, focus on being child free and a great and generous uncle and FIRE in 4 years, spending my life traveling the globe. Sounds great and I love it, except nothing obsesses me more than watching parents with kids and imagining what my life would be like if I had that? I’m so envious. I think I would trade anything, but then, push come to shove, I wonder because I worry that the cost is too great.

Anyways, love your thoughts, but please be gentle as this is quite personal and sensitive and I’m not looking at getting into an argument with anyone. If you can’t have kids and you want them, it sucks so much you wouldn’t believe it.

Hi, I don't want to suggest anything ill-minded (for the lack of word) but maybe you can move to a third world country and find someone you can fall in love with, and kinda-travel in an exotic country and also get married and have kid all at the same time?

Umm, so, you want me to quit my high paying job before i’ve FIRED to move and somehow rapidly meet, marry and impregnate a third world woman?

That’s a better alternative what I’m planning?

LadyMaWhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2019, 06:40:35 AM »
Update:

Actions so far:

Still a long way to go and who knows if a healthy baby will end up in my arms in 18 months, but it won’t be from a lack of love, planning and effort.

Congrats! Maybe it's time for a journal? I just started one (which no one visits) and would love to be your older-single-aspiring parent buddy.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2019, 08:10:46 AM »
Update:

Actions so far:
1. Have identified an agency that is responsive, affordable and answering my questions
4. Have researched company and government family leave policies (make too much for gov)
5. Have booked in for surrogacy conference where I’ll meet the owner of the agency I like

Once I meet the owner and confirm all my remaining questions I’ll then book appointments for medical testing and psychological counseling (for my own benefit), while continuing to save money for the first stage payment.

Good work! It sounds like you are going to make it happen!

Another thought, since I just saw your move plan. As you plan your moves,  please also consider the consequences of moving your child.  It may be a little hard to move the child away from her/his home and familiar faces, unless you are both visiting your relatives several times a year.  To a young child, the people you hire for childcare are family, so if there is a way you can continue a relationship with them after your move, that will be better. Or could you persuade  your mother (though she must be quite elderly for travel) to stay with you for months at a time, to provide continuity for the child?

Anecdotal source: We also used to move around a bit, and I am amazed at how kids can form very strong connections by age 4.  My kids still feel close to children they met at age 3, and they still miss the crappy apartments we were living in when they were tiny. Also, my mother-in-law was raised by a foster family until about age 7, though her mother visited frequently and gave money for her support.  Suddenly her mother got married and whisked her away to the US... for which my MIL always resented her, for removing her from the family and surroundings where she was happy.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
Update:

Actions so far:

Good work! It sounds like you are going to make it happen!

Another thought, since I just saw your move plan. As you plan your moves,  please also consider the consequences of moving your child.  It may be a little hard to move the child away from her/his home and familiar faces, unless you are both visiting your relatives several times a year.  To a young child, the people you hire for childcare are family, so if there is a way you can continue a relationship with them after your move, that will be better. Or could you persuade  your mother (though she must be quite elderly for travel) to stay with you for months at a time, to provide continuity for the child?

Anecdotal source: We also used to move around a bit, and I am amazed at how kids can form very strong connections by age 4.  My kids still feel close to children they met at age 3, and they still miss the crappy apartments we were living in when they were tiny. Also, my mother-in-law was raised by a foster family until about age 7, though her mother visited frequently and gave money for her support.  Suddenly her mother got married and whisked her away to the US... for which my MIL always resented her, for removing her from the family and surroundings where she was happy.

Thanks, yes, all that is being planned for. Mom will be visiting (she’s not elderly, she was a young mom), and we will be visiting family over the years until we move back permanently. Most kid attachments build at 4-5, and travel, moving and meeting new people will be something my kid will learn as our norm and way of being. I plan on traveling with the kid a lot as I like the idea of world-schooling. We won’t have a conventional life, but we’ll have a fun, adventurous and stimulating one. That’s my current idea but you also have to see what kid you get, if the kid really can’t handle it and needs to be in one place, simple, we stay where my family is all the time. I’m not going to overthink this right now. Step one, have healthy kid. Everything else will flow from that, and since 99% of parents make it up as they go, I think we’ll be ok.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2019, 12:26:39 PM »
Update:

Actions so far:

Congrats! Maybe it's time for a journal? I just started one (which no one visits) and would love to be your older-single-aspiring parent buddy.

Thank you! I might just do that. I’d probably start it under a new screen name. I will say though, if this actually happens, it will all be because of MMM and what I’ve learned here. Couldn’t even have thought about it if I hadn’t improved my financial health.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: February 18, 2019, 12:57:15 PM »
I attended the conference, met the owners of the agency (really sweet people) and met and spoke with a client who fu,key endorsed working with the agency. I’ve made up my mind and I’m going to do this. I hope it works out, will be mentally prepared that it might not and I’ll make myself be at peace with that cause as I’ve said, I’ve done everything I could to become a father.

Thanks everyone who contributed with support and challenging my thinking. I won’t use this space as a journal since it’s served its purpose to help me work through it all.

Forever indebted to MMM and this community for helping to make me strong enough to try this as a single man.

Barton20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2022, 09:08:42 PM »
Any update to this? Curious how it turned out as the Mrs and I are considering the same.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2022, 12:34:58 AM »
Any update to this? Curious how it turned out as the Mrs and I are considering the same.
@MrThatsDifferent

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2022, 02:32:29 AM »
It didn’t work out for reasons I don’t feel like sharing. I decided to let go of that dream because it was too painful to keep having my hopes dashed. I ended up getting dogs and they have helped to deal with the parental feelings, but nothing can replace that want. Was a rough couple years moving on, but life does indeed move on. Honestly though I’m not quite sure how I would’ve gone if it worked out and then had to deal with the COVID madness.

My only advice would be to consider therapy to help you deal with things if it works out or if it doesn’t.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2022, 02:41:25 AM »
I'm sorry that things didn't work out the way you hoped, and glad that your life is still awesome.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #231 on: April 20, 2022, 11:18:16 AM »
It didn’t work out for reasons I don’t feel like sharing. I decided to let go of that dream because it was too painful to keep having my hopes dashed. I ended up getting dogs and they have helped to deal with the parental feelings, but nothing can replace that want. Was a rough couple years moving on, but life does indeed move on. Honestly though I’m not quite sure how I would’ve gone if it worked out and then had to deal with the COVID madness.

My only advice would be to consider therapy to help you deal with things if it works out or if it doesn’t.

Sorry to hear.  I know there were a lot of people rooting for you here.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2022, 02:11:00 PM »
I'm sorry, @MrThatsDifferent .  One of the most puzzling things in the world to me is how some people who have no business being parents, are, and those who would make wonderful parents, aren't.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2022, 02:38:52 PM »
I'm sorry, @MrThatsDifferent .  One of the most puzzling things in the world to me is how some people who have no business being parents, are, and those who would make wonderful parents, aren't.
100% this.

My aunt and uncle are wonderful people who should have been able to be wonderful parents, but it never worked out. I know they tried to adopt more than once but it always fell through. I haven’t asked them about it directly though because I know it is a painful subject.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2022, 12:37:08 AM »
Really unfair to the child, unless you are the pinnacle of health and fitness. You will be nearing or at 70 by the time they are 18.  Lot of people can go down hill fast and unexpectedly in their 60s and there is no backup if something happens to you.  You also won't be fit and have the endurance a child deserves in their 7-15 stage when you should be getting them out and active.

There is also a real risk you will leave that child alone in the world in their early 20s as you reach mid 70s.  One parent being much older is fine, but intentionally having only one older parent is selfish.

I'm inclined to agree, even as I respect the deep pull and call to parent.
I also want to bring up another point that no one has mentioned: children of old parents don't get to have relationships with grandparents.
In my family we have a number of kids born to 40+ parents. The loss of the grandparent relp (because dead, dementia) was really big even with parents who were super-engaged. The parent cannot make up for this. And despite trying hard, couldn't find older people who wanted to commit to that long-term relp with their kid.

The OP doesn't mention their own family or his relp with them. It's critical for their well-being that the child have a sturdy network of unconditional relationships, not just one aging parent.
If the child is a girl, its key that she have a trusted female 'mom' who can help her transition puberty with wellness. No matter how well intended, a man has not had this experience and cannot support the way another woman can. (and yes, the same goes for boys and single moms. and most of the ones I know are painfully aware of the effects of the lack of a good male role-model support for their son).

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #235 on: April 22, 2022, 07:43:38 AM »
@Missy B Please see above - it looks like this hasn't worked out for the OP and thus your advice may be painful to read.  Perhaps delete?  If so, I will delete my post too. 

But also please note that having young parents is no guarantee of grandparent help!  Grandparents can still pass away early (I say this knowing several people who lost parents this year), live far away, have emotional challenges that make helping difficult or simply be uninterested in helping.

Finally, I would like to plug that there are MANY non-traditional families with same sex parents, single parents by choice and otherwise (death, lack of interest, incarcerated, etc.) so focusing on a need for a particular gender role model is limiting and potentially stigmatizing.  I firmly believing the world is evolving and a parent can find resources if they want.  It might be more helpful instead to suggest where they can find such resources (family, social groups such boy/girl scouts or similar groups,  friends, church, etc.) than to just state it's needed, which seems to be discouraging rather than supportive of someone's desire for a family.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #236 on: April 22, 2022, 08:12:00 AM »
Really unfair to the child, unless you are the pinnacle of health and fitness. You will be nearing or at 70 by the time they are 18.  Lot of people can go down hill fast and unexpectedly in their 60s and there is no backup if something happens to you.  You also won't be fit and have the endurance a child deserves in their 7-15 stage when you should be getting them out and active.

There is also a real risk you will leave that child alone in the world in their early 20s as you reach mid 70s.  One parent being much older is fine, but intentionally having only one older parent is selfish.

I also want to bring up another point that no one has mentioned: children of old parents don't get to have relationships with grandparents.
In my family we have a number of kids born to 40+ parents. The loss of the grandparent relp (because dead, dementia) was really big even with parents who were super-engaged. The parent cannot make up for this. And despite trying hard, couldn't find older people who wanted to commit to that long-term relp with their kid.

The OP doesn't mention their own family or his relp with them. It's critical for their well-being that the child have a sturdy network of unconditional relationships, not just one aging parent.
If the child is a girl, its key that she have a trusted female 'mom' who can help her transition puberty with wellness. No matter how well intended, a man has not had this experience and cannot support the way another woman can. (and yes, the same goes for boys and single moms. and most of the ones I know are painfully aware of the effects of the lack of a good male role-model support for their son).

This is offensive to anyone who can't offer a traditional family. While individuals often lament the lack of a same sex role model in the immediate family, it isn't upheld by sociological studies as being at all important. In fact, kids tend to look around them and pick and choose traits.

And there are certainly cases where a single father can offer a girl better menstrual support because he isn't imposing his own experience. My mother decided to impose a practice that was so old fashioned she had moved beyond it and it was disastrous for my heavier flow.

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2022, 08:47:02 AM »
I think it's hilarious that some people say young parents get to have involved grandparents. Ha! My parents were nowhere to be seen in helping our young family or interacting with their grandkids, who are now grown/almost grown. Updates about their grandkids were and are met with disinterest. Despite that, we + grandkids do our best to support them now that they need it.

I also know several men in their 50s who became first-time dads.

As for Mr. That's Different, that's a painful update, I'm sorry to read that. Perhaps the energy of this noble desire of yours will bring you something deeply satisfying beyond your initial imagined outcome. Often, letting go leads to serendipity.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2022, 11:51:33 AM »

We were 36/38 and 42/44 when our kids were born.  Both my parents are dead, but my kids still have relationships with their other grandparents (my stepfather, my MIL, her boyfriend, my FIL, and his wife).  Okay, maybe the boyfriend and wife not so much.  But the grandparents are in their late 70s and still going strong. 

(Likewise, my father was 44 & 46 when my brother and I were born.  I know LOTS of men who had kids in their late 40s/early 50s).

My grandparents (each set) had 30-40 grandchildren - do you think there were super close relationships with all of them?  Well, my paternal grandparents family wasn't close, but regardless, my dad's parents were born in the early 1890s, so yeah, they died before I was born anyway.  But I had decent relationships with my mom's parents - but not a super duper close one because: 30 grandchildren.

Also, you seem to be ignoring death and such...I have multiple friends and relatives who grew up with single parents (you know, a parent died in a pesky war and such)... they obviously turned out JUST FINE.

So, girls can't go through puberty without a mother?  I'll have to tell all my older sisters that...their mother died when the oldest was 10...

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #239 on: May 01, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »

What an ignorant post!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: May 01, 2022, 07:17:58 PM »

What an ignorant post!

Couldn’t agree more. Please let this thread die so I don’t have to deal with anyone else making cruel remarks, particularly after what I’ve shared. All this is doing is reopening horrific wounds. I’m only responding this last time to gracefully ask for no more responses and let this disappear, like my dream did so painfully, forever. Thank you to all of those with the compassion to offer support and private messages. Those of you who judge, may you never experience what I’ve lived through to feel the inappropriateness of your judgement.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: May 02, 2022, 08:29:04 AM »
@MrThatsDifferent Per your request, this is my last post here, but I wanted to let you know you can ask a mod to close commenting on a thread if you would like.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #242 on: May 02, 2022, 01:23:04 PM »

What an ignorant post!

Couldn’t agree more. Please let this thread die so I don’t have to deal with anyone else making cruel remarks, particularly after what I’ve shared. All this is doing is reopening horrific wounds. I’m only responding this last time to gracefully ask for no more responses and let this disappear, like my dream did so painfully, forever. Thank you to all of those with the compassion to offer support and private messages. Those of you who judge, may you never experience what I’ve lived through to feel the inappropriateness of your judgement.
. Seriously. Let's get out of the stone ages, shall we?

mrblitz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2022, 12:02:21 PM »
Where will the mom's egg come from?   donor eggs are another 30k+

The entire surrogate cost could be $150-$200k.   

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!