Author Topic: Would anyone be interested in thinking about a Camp Mustache UK?  (Read 20456 times)

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
Would anyone be interested in thinking about a Camp Mustache UK?
« on: November 09, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »
Inspired by the thread:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/camp-mustache-events/camp-mustache-(your-city)-suggestions-wanted!/
it would be really cool if we could get a UK thing going....trouble is, I don't know if we've got enough people that would be interested?

Random thoughts are somewhere scenic, I'd be up for actual camping and chatting round the campfire with good food and drinks, but not sure this would scare more sensible people away who'd prefer a bit more civilisation.... Thoughts anyone?

Moiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Would anyone be interested in thinking about a Camp Mustache UK?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:34:12 PM »
I'd be up for it...

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:09:36 AM »
That could be quite fun, though I'd have to confess to my family that I've been talking money with strangers on the Internet ;-)

It's scenic enough where I live and the hiking is good too, but you wouldn't want to camp except in summer. Well, you might, but you'd be tougher than I am if you did.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 02:39:03 AM »
We're in Italy, so depending on the date and Ryan air fares, we might be interested in joining a Camp Mustache UK.

twistedfirestarter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 06:41:25 AM »
We’d be interested in this too

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 01:16:35 PM »
Yep may be up for this too

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
Me too

Perhaps more Premier Inn than camping overnight, but these days it’s more about the facilities at night than saving a few quid. It’s my age rather than class you understand.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 07:47:25 AM »
Thanks all - going to see how many interested parties we get, then have a think what we could do 2018...

poppydog

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 01:10:40 AM »
That could be quite fun, though I'd have to confess to my family that I've been talking money with strangers on the Internet ;-)

This!

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 01:19:50 AM »

This!

You know what, the internet thing I think is normal nowadays, but it's the *money* thing that's the stigma!

poppydog

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 01:57:41 AM »

This!

You know what, the internet thing I think is normal nowadays, but it's the *money* thing that's the stigma!

Yes, exactly so.   The information we sometimes give out here is so personal, other family members may not understand that the support and exchange of views we get here is of real benefit to us.

elementz_m

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 07:12:54 AM »

This!

Yes, exactly so.   The information we sometimes give out here is so personal, other family members may not understand that the support and exchange of views we get here is of real benefit to us.

Absolutely this. I mentioned to someone that I laid all my spending out for Internet people to go over, and they were really weirded out by it. But the suggestions I got over the Internet were much better than the ones in real life.

I'd be up for a camp in 2018, anything from muddy field right up to budget hotel.

tinkertailor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 07:41:53 AM »
I'd definitely be interested.  Somewhere fairly accessible via train or National Express would be ideal for those of us who don't drive much.

mubington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 07:41:29 AM »
Count me in!

watchingthewheel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 02:43:41 PM »
Hi all, just signed up on the forum and from the UK. A meet up sounds like a great idea. If the dates fell into place I would be up for it. Is there a place on the forum where UK people hang out?
Cheers

elementz_m

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »
Hi all, just signed up on the forum and from the UK. A meet up sounds like a great idea. If the dates fell into place I would be up for it. Is there a place on the forum where UK people hang out?
Cheers

It's here! Apparently, the requests for a UK-only forum were answered with the UK tax forum. We discuss anything UK here, no need for tax-only threads. Welcome 😊

financialfreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 07:47:26 AM »
Posting to follow. UK based and interested.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 03:56:15 AM »
I'm interested.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 05:54:28 AM »
Maybe?

I haven't read much about the North American camps, but I wonder whether the equivalent here might be an outdoor adventure centre?  They are usually for kids, but a date during school term (exam time?) might be possible.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 07:05:27 AM »
Cool, what a fabulous response - so much that I think I will formally commit to organising and Informal Camp Mustashe UK/ Weekend Meet up in 2018.

Ideas I've had so far
  • Taking it literally, and having a weekend camping (campsite with toilets/showers); this would need to be in the summer, and would rely on some decent weather - guesstimate price £10/person/night
  • Off season you can hire whole youth hostels for bargainous prices, which gives you lounge/kitchen etc - guesstimate price £30/room/night
  • Searching for other group accommodation / AirBnB / outdoor bound centres etc.

I want to keep it open and inclusive, so all Mustachian's are welcome, from beginners to advanced, and on the locations, I'm thinking countryside rather than urban. I'm London based and happy to drive / picking up people from stations, and happy to travel as far as the West Country / Peak District / Lakes.

So if you are interested please let me know your thoughts, then we can get some dates pencilled in diaries.

• What part of the country are you based?
  • Where are you prepared to travel to?
  • Would you come to a camping outing?
  • Would you come to a hostelling outing?
  • Any other ideas?

elementz_m

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 09:00:30 AM »
Cool, what a fabulous response - so much that I think I will formally commit to organising and Informal Camp Mustashe UK/ Weekend Meet up in 2018.

Ideas I've had so far
  • Taking it literally, and having a weekend camping (campsite with toilets/showers); this would need to be in the summer, and would rely on some decent weather - guesstimate price £10/person/night
  • Off season you can hire whole youth hostels for bargainous prices, which gives you lounge/kitchen etc - guesstimate price £30/room/night
  • Searching for other group accommodation / AirBnB / outdoor bound centres etc.

I want to keep it open and inclusive, so all Mustachian's are welcome, from beginners to advanced, and on the locations, I'm thinking countryside rather than urban. I'm London based and happy to drive / picking up people from stations, and happy to travel as far as the West Country / Peak District / Lakes.

So if you are interested please let me know your thoughts, then we can get some dates pencilled in diaries.

• Any other ideas?

1. Peak District
2. I have an obvious preference here, but realistically I'd travel to most of England.
3. Yep, no problem with camping
4. Wouldn't mind a hostel, but I'd rather not share a bed with anyone other than the missus.
5. Local youth hostels seem to be £19ish per person per night if you book the whole thing, which I'd be happy to pay. I also wouldn't mind picking people up from the nearest train/bus station if the camp's a bit out of the way.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 12:30:50 AM »
I'm in Cambridgeshire.
Most of England is fine, I'd be hesitant about going further north than Middlesbrough or further west than Bath.
Camping is fine, but I'd like to do something sooner than camping-season if possible.
Hostelling is fine.
I've had good luck renting out big houses on AirBnB. We could have a mix of private and twin rooms but share bathrooms and a kitchen. It can work out cheaper than hostels and gives a bit more personal space.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
Take all this with the caveat that I'm actually supposed to be giving birth in April 2018 so, er, probably won't come this time! But in the interests of polling UK Mustachians in general and with an eye to future years...

What part of the country are you based? - London
Where are you prepared to travel to? - It's not so much the distance as the ease of travel. Happy to sit on a single train to Penzance, not happy to get a train and three local buses to get to Bude. However, I imagine a few people might be going from London area so perhaps someone might take it upon themselves to drive. Somewhere like the Peak District in roughly the middle of the country seems fairest.
Would you come to a camping outing? - I...dunno. I've never actually been camping. Depends on the setup/specific facilities. Probably not.
Would you come to a hostelling outing? - This is more my style. Indoors and with proper toilets. :) And presumably a communal kitchen? I'd be happy to share a twin room but probably not to sleep in a larger dormitory-style room.
Any other ideas? Strong preference for somewhere rural! Obviously this makes it less easy to travel to, but I think it would be really nice. Bonus points if we are actually allowed to light a campfire! Also, based on having organised similar outings myself in the past, be a total hardass with getting people to commit and pay. You sign up by X date or you're not coming. The money is sitting in my account on X date or you're not coming. It's be much less stressful for you.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 02:45:36 PM »
Thanks elementz, PwF & Slhe_lives_the_dream...

I like these places, but they feel a bit too remote for a weekend...

http://exclusive-hire.yha.org.uk/properties/england/yha-honister-hause

http://exclusive-hire.yha.org.uk/properties/england/yha-langdon-beck

elementz_m

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 01:00:57 AM »

If it's going to be remote, maybe consider tacking on the price of large-car/minibus hire locally, for taking people to/from the train station.

I think 30 people might be optimistic, don't be afraid to broaden your search until we have solid numbers.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »

If it's going to be remote, maybe consider tacking on the price of large-car/minibus hire locally, for taking people to/from the train station.

I think 30 people might be optimistic, don't be afraid to broaden your search until we have solid numbers.

Ha ha to filling it with 30 people - whilst that would be dirt cheap, that's my idea of hell.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 8 rooms filled with only one or two people!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 06:57:20 AM »
Bonus points if we are actually allowed to light a campfire!

+1 On the campfire or wood burner!!!

financialfreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 11:57:04 AM »
What part of the country are you based? Midlands
Where are you prepared to travel to? Anywhere
Would you come to a camping outing? Maybe
Would you come to a hostelling outing? Definitely, and this is our preferred.
Any other ideas?

If we could bring children that would be good. Also, if we can share as a family, rather than a dormitory type thing that would be preferred.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 01:33:08 PM »

If we could bring children that would be good. Also, if we can share as a family, rather than a dormitory type thing that would be preferred.

All are welcome, kids, families, singles, couples or any other combinations. And dogs if we're camping or the place is dog friendly.

If we hostel, I would definitely arrange it on a per room basis, you 'buy' the room and fill it with roommates of your choice - family, lover, friend, yourself etc.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »

I like / love the idea of a campfire ..... sitting round the fire enjoying a drink is bliss....if you have someone who knows how to tend it properly!

Once hired a lovely log cabin, with great wood burning fireplace with an ex. We spent hours trying to get it lit...ended up googling it, and searching the woods outside for suitable kindling. I had no idea it was so complicated... and it was very hard work!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 04:15:42 PM »
I like / love the idea of a campfire ..... sitting round the fire enjoying a drink is bliss....if you have someone who knows how to tend it properly!

Once hired a lovely log cabin, with great wood burning fireplace with an ex. We spent hours trying to get it lit...ended up googling it, and searching the woods outside for suitable kindling. I had no idea it was so complicated... and it was very hard work!

I have these skills.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 12:43:04 AM »

I have these skills.

You have now been elevated to hero status PwF.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 02:20:52 AM »
FYI: not that I imagine I'll be coming in 2018, but if dogs are allowed then bear in mind that some people (me!) are kind of scared of dogs. Not that we need to ban dogs because of that, but please don't bring your super-energetic dog and immediately let it off the lead to run free the whole time. And even if you're bringing your super-chill elderly dog whose idea of a great time is a nap followed by another nap, just be thoughtful. I'm quite happy to wear a big badge saying "Dogs make me nervous" the whole time to 'out' me, but there may be others.

ETA: I'm saying this not because I think people will be jerks, but because I'm aware that the afraid-of-dogs thing genuinely doesn't occur to most people unless it's brought up.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:26:29 AM by shelivesthedream »

elementz_m

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 02:38:16 AM »
It looks like most people don't fancy camping, but thought I'd put it out there anyway:

I have shares in a 10 acre orchard in South Derbyshire with toilet, kitchen, campfire (NO showers, no running water). Price is £40 per night for the site and two tents, £5 per additional tent. So if there were 10 people in 5 tents, it's £5.50 per person per night. 16 people in 8 tents is under a fiver each.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »
What part of the country are you based? The far South-West
Where are you prepared to travel to? Closer the better?  But would consider anywhere.
Would you come to a camping outing? Only if it's warm out.
Would you come to a hostelling outing? Yes.
Any other ideas?

I do have an elderly dog who would probably come (sorry, shelivesthedream), although he and I could stay off site as needed.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »
I do have an elderly dog who would probably come (sorry, shelivesthedream), although he and I could stay off site as needed.

I really don't want to put people off bringing their dogs! I sure they are lovely dogs and you are considerate owners, and both you and your dog can behave appropriately around people who are a bit scared. It's just I often find that it doesn't occur to people that a grown-up woman might still have an irrational childhood nervousness around ALL dogs. Once I mention it people are usually very nice and make an effort to direct the dog towards people who are delighted to see it (or at least don't mind it), but they can't do that if I don't let them know, and I don't expect people to be mind-readers.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2017, 10:23:28 AM »
Whoops sorry I forgot to answer the questions.

What part of the country are you based? South East
Where are you prepared to travel to? Most places in England.
Would you come to a camping outing? Maybe. I don’t own much kit.
Any other ideas?

I don’t have any pets. I’m not great around large dogs, lions, snakes or wasps. I’m on my own so may feel guilty at taking up a whole room if it was that sort of set up!

Slanhirn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2017, 12:28:38 PM »
What part of the country are you based? London
Where are you prepared to travel to? Agreed with Shelivesthedream, I'd pretty much go anywhere so long as I didn't have take 6 busses to get there. 6 hours on a train I could do though (ie St Ives, Edinburgh etc).
Would you come to a camping outing? Yes so long as it's warm out. If this was the case, I think a back up plan would be needed in case it's raining. From experience camping in the rain/drizzle is no fun.
Any other ideas?

I don't mind pets, dogs cats etc.

twistedfirestarter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2017, 02:34:06 PM »
I’m based in the Midlands, happy to travel, love camping even in the rain, hostel is fine too although no camp fire :-(

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2017, 02:35:39 PM »

I really don't want to put people off bringing their dogs! I sure they are lovely dogs and you are considerate owners, and both you and your dog can behave appropriately around people who are a bit scared. It's just I often find that it doesn't occur to people that a grown-up woman might still have an irrational childhood nervousness around ALL dogs. Once I mention it people are usually very nice and make an effort to direct the dog towards people who are delighted to see it (or at least don't mind it), but they can't do that if I don't let them know, and I don't expect people to be mind-readers.
Of course my dog is The Best Dog In All The WorldTM, but you are quite right to point out that dogs are not for everyone.    I'm a firm believer in dogs Having Their Place, and knowing how people feel in advance helps me to ensure that their Place does not interfere with humans.  So thanks to you (and never give up) for enabling me to plan proper arrangements.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2017, 02:59:11 AM »

Of course my dog is The Best Dog In All The WorldTM, but you are quite right to point out that dogs are not for everyone.    I'm a firm believer in dogs Having Their Place, and knowing how people feel in advance helps me to ensure that their Place does not interfere with humans.  So thanks to you (and never give up) for enabling me to plan proper arrangements.

:)

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »

• Any other ideas?

- I’m based on the South Coast - I can see the Isle of Wight on a clear day!
- Travel radius ideally no more than 4 hours driving, which would take me into deepest Midlands. But obviously open - I have been know to travel to North Wales, stay a night, and drive home!
- Camping - yes, why not. I was a Scout many years ago, how hard can it be?!
- Hostelling - ooh, toilets and everything - even better!
- Happy to meet for a beer or coffee to natter, plan or whatever if that helps. I’m in London some days if that’s more central.

The key thing is to get the time booked sooner rather than later. Family diary commitments tend to go in early. Strangely, a Thurs/Fri meet might actually work better.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 11:27:41 AM »
Thanks for all your input, I agree getting dates sorted is the key - I've got some options for a hostelling outing early in 2018. Again all people (big people and little people) are welcome, dogs by negotiation with all attendees.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:32:40 AM by dreams_and_discoveries »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2017, 12:10:13 AM »
Since many of you are UK based - I have a question:

Is there a brokerage in the UK that's like Vanguard in the US? I want to point my friend to a low cost brokerage where she can buy low cost index funds. But I've no idea about UK investing.

Thanks!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2017, 12:22:57 AM »
We just got Vanguard! It isn't the best choice for everyone. Here is a good table from Monevator

Remember to suggest an ISA (S&S, not Cash) if she is eligible to open one. And there is no way of getting money out of our pension accounts early.

Mrs UpMountFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2018, 03:45:36 AM »
Hello,

First time poster here (have been lurking for a while). I am not sure how this works and if people get notified when there is a new post on this thread? It has been inactive for a while. Anyway, we are in West Yorkshire and would be interested in a camp FI of any sort; hostels, cheap hotels or camping. The only thing is the we might have to bring the kids (reasonably well behaved 5 and 7 yrs old). Does anyone have a problem with that? We could always put them in a play pen with the dogs (joking! but.. kids would love it, not sure about the dogs ;-)

lizi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2018, 03:03:00 PM »
I just wanted to resurrect this thread by saying I'm about to move to the UK and I would be interested in attending a Camp Mustache there.

What part of the country are you based? : Cambridge
Where are you prepared to travel to? : With enough notice and a train timetable in hand, pretty much anywhere
Would you come to a camping outing? : Yes!
Would you come to a hostelling outing? : Also yes.
Any other ideas? : I attended the inaugural Camp Mustache Canada last year, which was amazing. If anyone is considering organising a UK version, I can say that lining up top notch speakers is probably not as important as you think. It was great having interesting, informative, lively keynotes and talks, but the time in between to mingle and chat to fellow attendees was really what made it for me. Obviously some sort of draw helps, but it definitely doesn't have to be the only focus.

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2018, 04:07:17 AM »
Ooh I must have missed this earlier. If this is still on the cards for this year / next, or even just for future ideas, here's my response

What part of the country are you based? South Yorkshire
Where are you prepared to travel to? Anywhere really.
Would you come to a camping outing? Absolutely
Would you come to a hostelling outing? Absolutely - bloody love a good YHA, me
Any other ideas? May be worth narrowing down locations to places easily accessible by train?

UK Dancer

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2018, 04:35:29 AM »
Ooh I must have missed this earlier. If this is still on the cards for this year / next, or even just for future ideas, here's my response

What part of the country are you based? South Yorkshire
Where are you prepared to travel to? Anywhere really.
Would you come to a camping outing? Absolutely
Would you come to a hostelling outing? Absolutely - bloody love a good YHA, me
Any other ideas? May be worth narrowing down locations to places easily accessible by train?

Also missed this, same answers!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2018, 01:03:16 PM »
Updated answers with baby in hand!

Still in London. Can totally travel with baby. Definitely no camping, would need a single room so the baby doesn't bother anyone - but he's very portable! Ease of travel still main factor in acceptable distance. Still keen for a campfire!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!