Author Topic: New FI related group in Yorkshire (and potential meetups)  (Read 4975 times)

Mrs UpMountFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New FI related group in Yorkshire (and potential meetups)
« on: April 25, 2018, 04:10:15 AM »
Hello fellow UK FIers,

I am not sure if this is an OK thing to do/post here on MMM forum but some of you might be interested. We have a new, FI related, closed Facebook group in Yorkshire / North of England and are hoping to have  a meetup soon. Here is a link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChooseFIYorkshireGroup/. I, personally, am not a big Facebook fan but organising meetups seems to be a lot easier then through forums.

I know there are meetups in London but this might be closer for some of you!
It's nice to have an online community but many of us are dying for some meaningful, face-to-face, no-small-talk interactions with like-minded people...

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
Re: New FI related group in Yorkshire (and potential meetups)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:54:15 AM »
Hey there, I'd be interested if you could post the details here when it is confirmed. I don't do Facebook.

Mrs UpMountFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 06:12:47 AM »
Hey there, I'd be interested if you could post the details here when it is confirmed. I don't do Facebook.

Yes, will do! We are looking at Leeds or Bradford as the location as it seem to suit most people and also weekend daytime. Would that be convenient for you?

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »
Is Lancashire allowed for this, or is that illegal? ;)

Seriously though, I really don't want to go to London for a meetup. Preston or Manchester are the closest cities to me, but Leeds or somewhere is MUCH more easily doable than London, Land Of Expensive Train Tickets And Expensive Restaurants. I mean, I might still not come anyway, depending on what I'm doing...

Mrs UpMountFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 03:10:19 AM »

Seriously though, I really don't want to go to London for a meetup. Preston or Manchester are the closest cities to me, but Leeds or somewhere is MUCH more easily doable than London, Land Of Expensive Train Tickets And Expensive Restaurants. I mean, I might still not come anyway, depending on what I'm doing...

Hello BookLoverL, Lancashire is totally illegal, lol! But we still have some Lancashire folk in our Yorkshire group. I guess we are a contrarian bunch in the FI community! I shall post a meetup time and date here, once it's set and you can decide if you want risk coming over the border to see us ;-)

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 03:05:54 AM »

Yes, will do! We are looking at Leeds or Bradford as the location as it seem to suit most people and also weekend daytime. Would that be convenient for you?

Sounds good to me. Thanks.

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 03:34:54 AM »

Hello BookLoverL, Lancashire is totally illegal, lol! But we still have some Lancashire folk in our Yorkshire group. I guess we are a contrarian bunch in the FI community! I shall post a meetup time and date here, once it's set and you can decide if you want risk coming over the border to see us ;-)

Well, we have a couple of people from Yorkshire over here in our village, and they seem nice enough so far, so I might be able to risk it. ;)

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 05:16:45 AM »
Ooh count me in! Having spent 2 hours in Meadowhell yesterday, I need some Yorkshire-based anti-consumerism.

Mrs UpMountFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 04:19:26 PM »
As promised, here are the details for the upcoming FI meetup in Leeds. All details copied from the Facebook page:

ChooseFI Yorkshire Meetup

Our first meetup will take place on Sunday 20, May at 11:30am. Location: inside Starbucks 9-11 St Paul's Street,  LS1 2HL, Leeds.
Starbucks as a location might not seem very FI but it is quite a big place, close to the train station and apparently not busy on Sunday mornings. (Yes, coffee is rather average, we should still purchase some, otherwise they won't have us again!;-)

We might start with introductions. If you want - prepare an answer to a question: What led you to find the FI movement, when did you discover it and (optional) where are you on that journey? Nobody is obliged to disclose their figures - confidentiality is assumed.

We will not have any rigid structure but maybe having a list of questions/topics will help if we get stuck or if small talk starts to creep in!
Here are some example questions:
Talk about your biggest money mistake, and what would you do differently?
What advice would you give your younger self?
Do you talk to your friends and family about FI? And if so, how do you do it and what reactions do you get?
Talk about an early memory of money and how it affects you now.
How do you economize and on what? How do you feel about it?
What do you splurge on and why?
What is your favourite life hack?

If you have other questions or want to suggest topics that interest you the most - please comment!
It will be lovely to meet you!

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »
I'll be there :) has anyone listened to the UK Chataqua episode of the Mad Fientist podcast? Pretty sure the 'in case of small talk' questions are from Vicki Robbins' financial communication tool / gane used on that episode (No shade, just an observation!)

Mrs UpMountFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 04:43:00 AM »
I'll be there :) has anyone listened to the UK Chataqua episode of the Mad Fientist podcast? Pretty sure the 'in case of small talk' questions are from Vicki Robbins' financial communication tool / gane used on that episode (No shade, just an observation!)

Great! See you there! And you are absolutely right, some of the questions are from that Chautauqua podcast, others are the questions that the guys at ChooseFI ask their guests. No re-inventing of the wheel here;-) (The cards that Vicky Robbins was talking about don't seem to be available yet...)

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
I think I'm free then, so I just need to check train times and stuff. :)

Mrs UpMountFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 05:41:35 AM »
I think I'm free then, so I just need to check train times and stuff. :)

Great BookLoverL, hope to see you there!

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:01 AM »
Just bumping this to say that the next Yorkshire Meetup is on Saturday 20th October at 10:30 - 13:00 at the Showroom Café in sunny Sheffield, in case anyone here is interested :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:44:15 AM by Runner5 »

UK Dancer

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 01:03:33 AM »
Hey Runner, just realised that the 3rd of Oct isn't a Saturday, are we talking the 13th? I may be able to make it depending on other plans coming to fruition...

Runner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 03:46:09 AM »
Well spotted... We were aiming for the 13th, but it's now set for the 20th. Just triple-checked the fb event so I'm not lying this time!

Kookaburra Risotto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 07:24:39 AM »
I've just requested to join the FB group. I live in York but happy to travel to Leeds for a meet-up :)

TacheTastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »
I just nuked my facebook, but I am interested in real-life people, and also live in Yorkshire. Is this still a going concern?

Mrs UpMountFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 05:03:57 PM »
Yes, it's still going! Will certainly post here when there is a meetup comming (hopefully soon)!