Author Topic: Investing a lump sum  (Read 2037 times)

skip207

• Bristles
Investing a lump sum
« on: July 07, 2018, 03:45:01 AM »
Part of my NW is a property which I am looking to sell for one reason or another. 

Anyone got any suggestions how to invest this?  I am probably going to put just under £40k into the ISAs as not really put much in yet this year.  (VLS80?)  That will leave a considerable chunk.

SIPP is not an option. (or right for my circs)

Part of the conudrum is the property has been generating a return as its been rented but its time for it to go now and I still want that capital to generate a return.  IYSWIM.

Any advice is much apprecaited as the property is likely to sell quite quickly. 

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
Re: Investing a lump sum
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 05:42:18 AM »
Put it in a taxable account in VLS 80 if that is what you like. It works like an ISA except that it isn't tax-free, but it is still incredibly good. If you are happy with your ISA provider, open an account there, otherwise check out the Monevator list.

Use INC funds not ACC funds; you'll pay the same dividend tax but you won't hate yourself when you do the paperwork.

In February or March, read about defusing capital gains (also on Monevator) and decide how much to sell - remember that you might want to set up next year's ISA allowances.

If there are two of you and you share finances, you get two lots of dividend and Capital Gains allowances - so it makes sense to split the house funds into two accounts.

FIFTWUK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 03:50:22 AM »
Silly question (I'm confused like hell this morning), since Vanguard LS 80 (or HSBC European Index Fund, or Fidelity Index World Fund) is based on GBP, this brings the currency advantages and disadvantages, correct?

Therefore if one would prefer to hedge against having all their assets in GBP and would prefer to have some tied to USD or EUR, which funds would fit the bill? What should one look for?

Thank you very much in advance!

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 05:54:58 AM »
Good question.

Update on the sale, the property has Sold STC so if all goes smoothly (50/50 chance!) then the funds should land with me in roughly 8 weeks.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 07:12:26 AM »
Silly question (I'm confused like hell this morning), since Vanguard LS 80 (or HSBC European Index Fund, or Fidelity Index World Fund) is based on GBP, this brings the currency advantages and disadvantages, correct?

Nope. If the fund is unhedged (which most funds are), then the currency it's based on is pretty much irrelevant. You could see this effect after the Brexit vote, when the value of the pound dropped, but the value of index funds holding non-UK assets increased in GBP terms to compensate for this.

FIFTWUK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 08:45:52 AM »
Hah, I expexted something similar from FTSE 100, there being the majority of international companies in it. This story had me a bit confused this morning, I guess it still does.