Author Topic: FOREX  (Read 2928 times)

Dgibs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
FOREX
« on: November 09, 2018, 02:01:13 AM »
So,

Thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone has any input.
I'd have put it in the trading section but need UK specific info.

Forex day trading.
The gains made from that.
Tax free as it is akin to matched betting / gambling?
Capital Gains tax as its trading profits?
Neither?

I've spoken to some Tax people, and HMRC , and been given all 3 answers.

Also, would the answer change if I wasn't doing the actual trading, but someone else was on my behalf?

Any ideas, people?

All the best.

Dgibs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Forex UK
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 02:33:31 AM »
So,

Thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone has any input.
However, it needs to be UK specific, so I posted in the UK tax section also.

Forex day trading.
The gains made from that.
Tax free as it is akin to matched betting / gambling?
Capital Gains tax as its trading profits?
Neither?

I've spoken to some Tax people, and HMRC , and been given all 3 answers.

Also, would the answer change if I wasn't doing the actual trading, but someone else was on my behalf?

Any ideas, people?

All the best.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
Re: FOREX
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 03:26:44 AM »
LOL - you'll need to make a profit in order to worry about taxes. Good luck!

After that, it does get complicated, and as you have found, even HMRC will tell you "it depends".

There's 3 ways that forex (or indeed any other kind of "daytrading") can be classified - gambling, trading or investment.
  • If they judge that you are engaged in speculative/gambling activity, profits are free of tax.
  • If they judge that you are engaged in a business activity, you will be taxed like a business. I.e. based on what income you generate, but with the ability to offset profits with costs e.g. computers, subscriptions etc. (Or -  you'll be able to use your forex trading losses to offset profits you make in another business :-) )
  • If they judge that you are engaged in investment, you will be taxed like a private investor i.e. CGT rules apply.
There are no hard and fast rules - HMRC look at the pattern of your trading, why you bought and sold things, how long you owned them for, how often you trade, how many trades you make etc etc. To some extent, the instrument used makes a difference - a spreadbetting account is more likely to be treated as gambling than holding currency reserves, for example.

Important thing is to keep good records of everything and get proper advice if you actually look like you need to worry about tax.

Dgibs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 03:34:14 AM »
Thanks,

That's about how I have understood it also. Very Vague and sounds like they can just tax you any old way they please!

I guess i'll just have to submit the results and see how it lands.

I've already well passed this years CGT threshold with profits so whichever way it lands i'll likely owe something.

I'm still interested to hear from anyone with 1st hand experience.

All the best.

flipboard

• Bristles
Re: Forex UK
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »
Forums probably aren't the best place to get tax advice IMHO.

But is there any way of getting a binding answer out of HMRC? Some countries' tax authorities are happy to give an advance ruling for a small fee, that would give you protection in advance.

I'd be surprised if active day trading wasn't considered income, but tax laws are sufficiently complicated (and HMRC sufficiently obnoxious) that you really want something binding from HMRC, or failing that professional tax advice.

Manchester

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 03:33:48 AM »
I'm also interested in any advice people have on here.  I've made a good chunk of profit on Matched Betting so happy to risk a small amount on this.  Just want to know if anyone does it and what time/risk goes into it?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 02:12:52 PM »
I'm also interested in any advice people have on here.  I've made a good chunk of profit on Matched Betting so happy to risk a small amount on this.  Just want to know if anyone does it and what time/risk goes into it?

Forex trading is like stock day trading. It (arguably) is gambling, whereas matched betting is not. MB is gaming the system for guaranteed profit.

I mean - you could trade GBP-USD on Brexit news lately - every time something bad happens, GBP dips. A couple of days later it goes back up a bit. But... what if it doesn't?

Manchester

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 04:42:05 AM »
Fair enough @daverobev I thought as much.  I'll give it a miss!

soumailaadamou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • hello my name is ismo. i am trader
Re: Forex UK
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 04:06:54 AM »
I would advise you to go to a tax expert or there are very good online forums where you can ask the question. find an answer there, just do a google search.
https://top-forex-brokers.com/