Author Topic: Young retirement bored after FIRE?  (Read 2418 times)

neonlight

• Stubble
Young retirement bored after FIRE?
« on: June 11, 2019, 11:45:37 PM »
Hi,

Have been living a busy and fulfilling career life, but at the same time want to FIRE and live a live of discovery and travels, and finding a partner.

Last weekend something happened, I had the whole weekend off doing nothing which i don't get often, and it bore the hell out of me. How did it work for you, and did boredom get the better of you?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Young retirement bored after FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 02:57:40 AM »
I think you should get a hobby (or more than one). Something that engages you and that you can grow in (becoming board member of a club). I feel that I don't have enough time for my hobbies as long as I work.
The other thing is that you can fill your retirement days with doing voluntary work for as much as you would like to.

Maybe for you, some social isolation plays in. You should try to get a network of people. Maybe check Meetup?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:08:01 AM »
A weekend is not a lifetime. However, I can’t imagine getting bored in a weekend! Surely you have a list of all the things you need to do that you haven’t had the time to do?

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 04:51:37 AM »
A weekend is not a lifetime. However, I can’t imagine getting bored in a weekend! Surely you have a list of all the things you need to do that you haven’t had the time to do?

You are right, it’s probablg a weekend deflate. Am just worried that post FIRE I might feel the same

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 06:03:53 AM »
Most of the things I want to do I can’t do with my current lifestyle, location, or the weekends I have off. I’ve had two, 4 month sabbaticals, and my lifestyle during those is entirely different than what I would do in a weekend or even a week. It was very reassuring, because, like you, I can get very bored on the weekends. Especially because I have a stay at home wife with no kids, so it’s not like I spend my weekends cooking, cleaning, errands, laundry, etc..

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 06:04:38 AM »
Why do you want to FIRE?

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 09:49:52 AM »
Are you still mentally in 'work mode'? I find that that keeps me from totally relaxing even though I have nothing to do. Maybe try meditation, or biking a long way.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »
Hi,

Have been living a busy and fulfilling career life, but at the same time want to FIRE and live a live of discovery and travels, and finding a partner.

Last weekend something happened, I had the whole weekend off doing nothing which i don't get often, and it bore the hell out of me. How did it work for you, and did boredom get the better of you?

For me boredom is impossible because I have  so much to learn on the World Wide Web and discuss via  social media.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:29:32 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 10:33:22 AM »
Once FIREd you have endless time to try everything. You can use boredom as motivation and opportunity to change your life for the better and really expand it any way you want.

Indeed!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 10:45:36 AM »
I can't even remember the last time I've had a free weekend with nothing going on, no pending projects, etc! My next four weekends are booked (or double booked and I have to decide what I'm doing) already...

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 04:59:03 PM »
Inspiring guys, thank you!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »

I FIREd last year and honestly, the idea of weekend doing nothing sounds soooo relaxing right about now.  I wish I could do that.  One of the biggest pitfalls of FIRE is that people seem to always take on too many new responsibilities too quickly, instead of enjoying their new found freedom for a while. 

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 10:03:57 PM »
Year six of FIRE, rarely bored. I think it's somewhat individual though.