Author Topic: Stick to a food budget of 100$-Austere August  (Read 1581 times)

soopy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Stick to a food budget of 100$-Austere August
« on: July 27, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »
I am a vegetarian and I've got a decent stock of rice,lentils, dried beans,oil, salt and sugar.
I am gonna live on 100$ - fresh groceries and eat outs combined.
No frozen food,no cheap boxed meals, no ramen or other such shit and I shall eat my 5 prescribed helpings of fruit and vegetables.
In case I cook a meal at home,I shall also leave food for my lazy ass roommate and not charge him a penny.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:50:30 PM by soopy »

centwise

• Stubble
Re: Stick to a food budget of 100$-Austere August
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 08:49:09 PM »
I'm in -- sort of! I had a good lean grocery budget all Spring, but the grocery spend has zoomed way up for the past couple of months.

My grocery budget for August: $25/week (for 2 people) though August 21. After that, I'll have relatives visiting for the rest of the month, so I expect to spend a lot more. Saving money in early August will go a long way toward offsetting the cost of hosting the visitors at the end of the month.

Edit: I'm not vegetarian but I do have some meat in the freezer, a few small containers of frozen leftovers, and plenty of dried beans/lentils on hand. So $25/week for freshies should be plenty. *No frozen yogurt bars or ice cream allowed!*
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:53:23 PM by centwise »

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:22:58 AM »
Well it looks like it's just us, soopy!

Reporting in on the austere August challenge: I'm not off to a great start. I already spent my week's grocery budget ($25.06) on the first day of the month! I bought some fresh fruits and vegetables, plus a big block of cheese which was on sale. So now the challenge will be: eat only what we already have in the house for the next week. I'll report in from time to time to help me stay on track.

centwise

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
Just checking in -- after spending $25 on Aug 1, have spent $0.0 on groceries/restaurants for Aug 2 through 6! Hoping to stay on track...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!