Author Topic: Whole30 for Lent - 2018  (Read 8475 times)

Gyosho

• Stubble
Whole30 for Lent - 2018
« on: January 26, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »
Is anyone interested in joining me in doing the Whole30 for Lent 2018? We can post here for mutual support.

I have done *a few days* of Whole30 (I know this means I actually haven't done a Whole30); then I fall off the wagon, so I am really looking forward to challenging myself for Lent this year. Lent is actually 46 days, so I will be doing a Whole46.

Even the few days that I have done of Whole30 have been extremely beneficial - they showed me right away that I had a dairy allergy and did not know it. Once I stopped all dairy, my nose stopped running and I lost 5 pounds overnight and have not put it back on.

I substituted lots of delicious beef and pork for all the dairy I was eating, and am now feeling pretty good.

I am looking forward to full "tiger blood" state. My weaknesses, which I will have to combat during Lent/Whole46 are:

- nibbling on dark chocolate bars through the day
- soy creamer in my coffee
- approximately 6 alcohol units per week
- Soylent (delicious! I love it)
- bran flakes cereal

Maybe I can go full-on medieval and imagine the Devil trying to hand me these "treats" on a silver platter, with brimstone and sulfur billowing around him, and the flames of Hell behind him.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Re: Whole30 for Lent - 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:18:41 AM »
I was just looking at a previous forum Whole30 post last night, and the volume of posts was quite overwhelming! I just started a Whole30 diet yesterday, so I'll participate in this thread :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:39:34 AM »
LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I love doing something focused in Lent (even though I'm not religious) and because we were about to do Whole30. This thread feels like an ideal fit for me.

Ash Wednesday is Feb 14 this year?
Are we starting Feb 14 or 15?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 09:42:28 AM »
Also, I was thinking a few days ago of doing something like: Skip some calories each day and donate the financial savings to charity. Which is quite lenty. This thread ties all my dreams together :)

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
I'm in!

I've done a full Whole30 once before about a year ago and, while it was hard at first, absolutely loved it. I ended up figuring out that I am allergic/sensitive to soy and eggs. I almost never eat beans or grains other than bread anymore out of habit -- it really changed the way I eat and I love how good I feel. That said, some of my habits have gotten out of control and I could definitely use a reset on my alcohol and chip consumption. :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:39:17 AM »
Preparing...

Ordered heaps of new recipe ideas from library.
Reviewing: https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 07:45:36 AM »
Anyone else interested in joining? Lent starts Wednesday.

Luckily I celebrated Valentine's Day yesterday at a wine and chocolate tasting.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
Yesterday started defrosting stew meat, today threw it and a gazillion veggies into the pot.
Meant it for tomorrow when we're on the ski hill... Have eaten 1/3 of it already and my teen hasn't even gotten going yet. lol.

Lots more veggies in the fridge, plus fruit.

All those recipe books I got to inspire new ideas? Opened it up to a recipe, then did my own thing 100%. I'm sure having it open helped, though ;)

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »
I am 20 days in, and missing all kinds of delicious things - but also feeling pretty good! We had marinated grilled chicken thighs and roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli for dinner.

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:18:01 AM »
Joining.  How’s everyone doing?  I started mine on February 2nd.  Feel much better already and the cravings are minimal.  I have struggled with my coffee, but found that adding a little coconut milk and dash of cinnamon is pretty good.  Ate out once at chipotle.  Had to watch my hubby and kids eat pizza one night,  but my chicken sausage and sweet potato was pretty good😃

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 08:35:19 AM »
I did so well yesterday, it blew me away. Some big life stress had resulted in major cravings, which seemed unmanageable...for about 6 minutes. Then I came up with a snack that filled me with delight; all was well. I'm using the 46 to give me some transition days in and and out on either end of the 30, yet yesterday had only one transitional ingredient!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 08:03:38 PM »
Mains So Far:
*ginger beef stew
*chicken fajita filling with avocado
*salmon patties
*tuna-stuffed roasted bell peppers
*shepherd's pie

Running the dishwasher 2x per day vs 1.

Have had black coffee twice. Even though I don't generally drink coffee, I consider it a great feat to have had it black!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 12:04:07 AM by jooniFLORisploo »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
The first few days, I felt like I was treating myself, more than anything. The first time a Lenten commitment didn't feel like much of one!

Today I'm experiencing my first challenge, and it's not one I had expected! The lingering scents of food. Blech. I live in a small, one room space and I sleep in the kitchen. There is no escaping the scents. I've scrubbed my kitchen down, food is in the fridge, dish of coffee grounds in the fridge, compost in the freezer, running the air purifier on max, had windows open during cooking and for an hour after... But when I came back in just now, ugh.

Probably some people like cooking smells. I like air to smell only like a leaves and rain.

I won't quit on this count, but there's my first challenge!

Now have a beeswax candle lit and a bowl of vinegar out.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 12:03:18 AM »
Congrats on a smooth first few days!

If you figure out the smell issue, please report back. As I ease into Mustachianism I have been cooking more, and it turns out that my wife can't tolerate cooking smell. Her mother didn't really cook growing up, so she is totally unused to having to smell food as it is being prepared and smell the lingering leftover fumes. We have yet to find a good solution since I'm not going to stop cooking. We even got an ozone odor neutralizer, but it just makes the kitchen smell like ozone instead....

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 03:28:29 PM »
If you figure out the smell issue, please report back.

All the stuff I did seemed to do the trick in the end. The vinegar-in-a-dish trick often seems to do wonders.

I grew up in a household full of homemade food, and don't remember it bothering me there. And if I were making only [unspeakable items], I'd be happy with the scents! But things like oil, meat, onions, ugh -love to eat 'em, can't stand the house perfumed by them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:23:45 AM by jooniFLORisploo »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 03:35:02 PM »
I'm stunned that I get excited now about a "black coffee and an orange" as an afternoon snack, lol.

I've run out of food ideas, so time to pull out the recipe books. I have 9 from the library, and that's after returning 5 I immediately wasn't into. My favourite of the bunch so far is "Paleo in 28" by Kenzie Swanhart. Really simple recipes, and so flavourful!

Kid is coming up with really neat ideas that make him so happy. We had perfect avocados to use up, so I suggested dipping carrot and celery into guacamole. He decided that guac via spoon + a banana was better. I like the wider variety of snacks he's coming up with for himself.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 03:42:04 PM »
I am trying to do this, but struggling a bit

I am away from home 6-8 nights a fortnight for work and dont have access to cooking facilities and only a small fridge, so i have to rely on what is supplied and I dont really have much control over what oils things are cooked in or the quality of meat and vegetables.

I dont diink coffee and when I have tea I have it with no milk anyway so its not too bad

Breakfast is probably the hardest for me as I always use to have Greek yogurt with oats and now I am restricted to fruit while away for work.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:13:31 PM by nnls »

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »
That IS tricky, nnls...   By any chance, do you drive to your locations such that you can bring a single burner electric hot plate? On a thread about cheap, healthy travel food, this travel oven also came up: https://www.amazon.com/HotLogic-Mini-Personal-Portable-Black/dp/B00EC7XJ00

I feel like most of my happiness in this so far is coming from the meat breakfast. Do you feel sustained/well/happy on the fruit alone? If not, maybe we can brainstorm ideas?

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 06:03:23 PM »
I like to have an apple chopped in bite size pieces and mixed with some almond butter and slivered almonds as a snack, but it would make a pretty good breakfast.

We had friends over today and besides not being able to have a beer, I didn’t miss the usual carb laden snacks we would normally have.  We made pot roast with potatoes and carrots, yum!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 07:07:11 PM »
That IS tricky, nnls...   By any chance, do you drive to your locations such that you can bring a single burner electric hot plate? On a thread about cheap, healthy travel food, this travel oven also came up: https://www.amazon.com/HotLogic-Mini-Personal-Portable-Black/dp/B00EC7XJ00

I feel like most of my happiness in this so far is coming from the meat breakfast. Do you feel sustained/well/happy on the fruit alone? If not, maybe we can brainstorm ideas?

That would most definitely not be allowed in our accommodation. I am looking forward to flying home on Wednesday night and being able to cook whatever i want. I feel ok with the fruit breakfast, I think its doable for 8 days in a row and I am liking that already I am feeling less bloated and my pants are fitting a bit better. but will see how I go

They have cook up breakfasts here, but its bacon and sausages and I doubt either would be whole 30 compliant 

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 07:14:12 PM »
I like to have an apple chopped in bite size pieces and mixed with some almond butter and slivered almonds as a snack, but it would make a pretty good breakfast.

We had friends over today and besides not being able to have a beer, I didn’t miss the usual carb laden snacks we would normally have.  We made pot roast with potatoes and carrots, yum!

that sounds delicious

I may have to give it a try

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »
I find Chia pudding a great breakfast option, and it doesn't have to be always refrigerated.

Easy peasy recipe:
1 can coconut milk + half cup Chia seeds + tsp vanilla (optional; technically not-compliant because it's alcohol-based). Mix well and let sit at room temp a few hours or overnight.

Then you can always add nuts, fruit, cinnamon, etc. to your liking.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 12:27:32 AM »
Feeling great.

New dishes today:
*coconut milk whip over frozen berries (there was an ingredient I assumed to be nonW30, so I left it out)
*attempt at sauce over sole (didn't work out, transformed it into soup)
*apple/carrot/celery/cabbage/walnut/seeds/etc salad (fantastic!)

New challenge: The compost! We can only put it outside one day per week (bears). I have two 4kg yogurt buckets overflowing in my small freezer, with no space for more. Hmmmm...

Tomorrow's Meals:
*finish off the shepherd's pie
*finish off the salmon patties
*get a white protein to use up rest of veggies in stew or soup

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »
I grew up in a household full of homemade food, and don't remember it bothering me there.

Pffff... Just realized that's because I didn't live and sleep in the kitchen!! lol!! We each had a (shared) bedroom away from the kitchen, with at least 1-2 doors between that and our sleep/hang spaces, inside a giant home through which any scents would have well dispersed in any case.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 12:54:07 PM »
I grew up in a household full of homemade food, and don't remember it bothering me there.

Pffff... Just realized that's because I didn't live and sleep in the kitchen!! lol!! We each had a (shared) bedroom away from the kitchen, with at least 1-2 doors between that and our sleep/hang spaces, inside a giant home through which any scents would have well dispersed in any case.

Ha! Makes sense.

Our apartment is pretty small. We do have a separate bedroom and living room, but the doors don't close because of our bed and couch. The smell definitely lingers. I'll try the vinegar bowl trick next time I cook...

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 10:30:06 PM »

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 12:21:22 AM »
https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

:)

thanks for that :)

I thankfully didnt get the hangover phase, I had already cut alcohol and most processed sugars since January 1st to try and make lent a bit easier

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 07:23:16 AM »
Yeah, mine's been easier than described there, too, I think for the same reason you state, nnls -already doing close to Whole30.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 11:54:21 PM »
Today was so different! I felt no big need for meat, or big savoury dishes. (Thank goodness, because I had no more compost space! I think for compost going forward, I'll see if I can create two buckets -super smelly stuff in the freezer; okay stuff not.) I had eaten the rest of our prepped dishes before bed last night.

Today I made a W30 mocha (coconut milk and cocoa powder, blended to frothiness, added to brewed coffee).
Later, to the leftover blend added frozen banana to make a shake for my kid and me.
I have some chicken defrosting for tomorrow.
Bought a few new produce items to add some variety -I think I'll make zucchini noodles, put the chicken over that.

We're on the ski hill day after that, so I'll really have to have stuff figured out for then.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »
I haven't had any big cravings yet and everything is generally going well, but I had a very vivid dream last night that I ate a GIANT ice cream cone followed by a footlong Subway sandwich. Ha! These are not things I usually eat but I guess that's my subconscious telling me something...

Made a delicious slow cooker ratatouille and cauliflower rice for dinner last night, plus some grilled chicken that we didn't end up eating but will have for lunch today instead.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 09:10:52 AM »
hahahaha, cheddarpie!!! Too funny :)
Though between the two parts of your name, and those dream items, you might be setting me up for cravings!

Oooh, ratatouille... I might do that soon...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 11:47:44 PM »
I have failed :(

I will share my  excuse but it's not a great one.
I flew home from work (my plane landed early which was the only good part of the night) 

When I got home a fuse had blown and my fridge was off (NY neighbours tell me we had a black out on Saturday so that's when I assume it happened) so my pre prepared fly home day meal was  ruined.  And I was tired and grumpy after 9 days of 13 hour shifts and I cracked and bought non compliant take out.

I am annoyed with myself.  I could have just not eaten until I had time to go shopping the next day. But  I didn't :(

So an excuse of being tired and lazy and grumpy. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 12:02:47 AM »
We love you up!

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 07:24:00 AM »
nnls, that sounds like a rough day.  I was super frustrated last weekend.  I bought some apple gate bacon that was super expensive thinking I was good to go and then when I was making it I noticed it had sugar!  I resisted and watched my kids and hubby eat it but frankly I was pissed and wanted to eat it anyway.  I told myself at the beginning that I wouldn’t knowingly cheat but if I ate something I thought was ok and it turned out it wasn’t that I was just going to keep going😃

Anyway I wouldn’t beat yourself up😃

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »
Loving the coconut milk shakes (which is awesome, because I can't stand the taste of coconut milk or coconut oil generally).

Was simultaneously very hungry (poor planning) and approaching the due hour on some chicken drumsticks, which I've never prepared before. Google Whole 30 drumsticks, did these, yum: http://ohsnapletseat.com/2015/05/28/ridiculously-easy-and-delicious-oven-baked-drumsticks/

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 06:16:19 PM »
How's everybody doing??

nnls, have you managed to find your back to your plan?

Starting to see and feel physical changes.
Finally used up the rest of every vegetable -a ginormous cod soup.
Also made applesauce today!

Kid sure likes me doing this. He's getting a great deal :)

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2018, 07:09:07 PM »
I've been doing Whole30 wrong?!! hahahahahahahahahahaha!

I was looking up ideas for a dish, and came across an "official" page that said we're not to MIX W30 ingredients in ways they feel mimics other foods. e.g., No eggs + bananas to make banana pancakes. No frozen bananas + 100% cocoa powder because they feel that's too ice creamy. Even though the ingredients are allowed. There's this whole thing about what shapes you form them into!

Oh.

I have been 100% meeting my primary goals (eliminate honey -and other sweeteners but honey was the only one I was using- and cream). To do that, I've needed to rely far more heavily on W30 meats, fats, veggies, fruits, which has been having great effects.  It's a big deal for me to have kicked those, plus commercial stuff and junk food!

So, I carry on.

Workingmomsaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »
I have 6 more days in mine and now I have started trying to plan reintroduction.  We have a concert next weekend so I am planning to have a beer/ glass of wine!  Pretty excited.  I am honestly ready to be done.  Not sure my cravings r really gone.  I guess we will see.

We r having burgers and sweet potato fries for dinner! 

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 02:12:48 PM »
Managed to get back on track.
I think I counted forward and still get 30 days if I restart it from the day after my fridge incident.  If I slip up again I will continue but break for Easter and then try and do a full 30 days sometime in May.

I have noticed some physical changes but not anything too big.  I have been enjoying the chance to try some new recipes and rely less on packet sauces and things like that

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »

AWESOME!!!

I'm still calling mine Whole 30, but I'm recognizing that really, I accidentally created a food plan that is its own thing. I'm happy with it -it demanded huge changes, big commitment, etc, and that's what I was really aiming for.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 02:19:49 AM »

AWESOME!!!

I'm still calling mine Whole 30, but I'm recognizing that really, I accidentally created a food plan that is its own thing. I'm happy with it -it demanded huge changes, big commitment, etc, and that's what I was really aiming for.

As long as you met your aim thats the main thing!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2018, 03:13:43 AM »
I think meeting the original intention set is key for me, yeah. And I'm still doing it! I still aim to go all through lent.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2018, 12:15:01 AM »
my friend just tagged me in this

I tried whole30

I hope I don't end up lactose intolerant

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2018, 08:51:51 AM »
Last night felt like my biggest challenge moment to date. For some months, I've had a weekly ritual -borne out of necessity but that has become super enjoyable to me. A real "touch point" in my life. With my Lenten food plan, I thought it wouldn't be any good -all the location, timing, and activity, but without the junk that made it awesome, haha.

Did it anyway, and was amazed to find myself perfectly content with a hot coffee + fruit salad. Fruit salad?!?!??!!?!?!!??!?!!!!!!!??????????? WHO AM I???????

So far, so good!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2018, 11:36:41 AM »
Needed something very different (than meat or fruit, basically). Really enjoyed the Creamy Zucchini recipe from Voigt's Super Paleo Snacks. My paraphrase:

Peel, sweat, and dry zucchini strips
In ghee, brown them
In separate bowl, mash avocado, lemon juice
To mash, add halved cherry tomatoes and fresh basil (or add dry to zucchini while browning)
Mix zucchini into mash

SO GOOD!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »
Still on track, very happy for it, super grateful to find nothing around town tempting :)

I did balk when I looked up how many more days of Lent! Not sure why, though. No cravings, no issues. I think I was seeking laziness (grabbing stuff out and about versus cooking and planning). So now the effort isn't in sticking with a food plan, skipping certain ingredients, etc -it's committing to the work of cooking and planning.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
I suspect I may be all alone in here. Still, posting here keeps me on track, so I will :)

Today was the first time I considered quitting. Suddenly hungry! Deeply overcast day, so want stimuli! Bored of the food!

So I found a new recipe:
https://themovementmenu.com/recipes/baked-lemon-cod-with-ghee/

Whew.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2018, 07:41:18 PM »
I suspect I may be all alone in here. Still, posting here keeps me on track, so I will :)

Today was the first time I considered quitting. Suddenly hungry! Deeply overcast day, so want stimuli! Bored of the food!

So I found a new recipe:
https://themovementmenu.com/recipes/baked-lemon-cod-with-ghee/

Whew.

i am still here, I have been having my struggles at work again with limited compliant food making my work days even more boring but I am going ok :)

I did have a strong chocolate craving yesterday as someone in my team brought in a big box for everyone to share.

I also broke a whol30 rule by weighing myself, I have lost 3kg since January which I am happy with

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2018, 11:15:17 PM »
i am still here [...] I am going ok :)

YAY!!!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2018, 11:15:37 PM »
Tonight I danced and danced, and that kicked my hunger out.

Also, the cod dish was SOOO good. (I used coconut flour, as I had that on hand.)