Author Topic: Whole30 - February 2019  (Read 19137 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole30 - February 2019
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2019, 07:41:05 AM »
This is getting boring since I eat mostly the same thing each day.  Yesterday's food:

bfast: banana, macadamias & almonds (I've been lacking in AM protein lately)

lunch: sardines over basmati rice

dinner: Big Ass Salad (leftover pan-fried chicken thigh).  Also added diced apples to this one, yum.

snacks: 2 apples, sesame nori, 1 clementine, cinnamon + banana slices + PB on rice cakes, 1/2 serving dark chocolate
Does posting get boring, or your food? :-) I love apples in salad, gives it an awesome sweet/crunch.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2019, 07:56:21 AM »
Day 4

Exercise
• Rest day for me. :-)

Nutrition
• Coffee with some Nutpods creamer at work to start the day.
• Flank steak, chimichurri & brussels sprouts (roasted in duck fat + MMP) for lunch.
• Coconut chips for afternoon snack.
• Buffalo burger for dinner.
• Frozen cherries for dessert.
• La Croix/water with lime.

Weight
• -2.6lbs from start - no change today.

So far so good. I'm going to a marketing event today for work so I will just order a soda water with lime and pretend I'm drinking vodka soda. No big deal. I'm debating going to my workout class at 6:15 tomorrow morning if I'm out late tonight, but we'll see.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2019, 08:13:14 AM »
Day 7 for me.
Office temptations are at an all time high.

For free in the office today:
An entire baguette
Scones
Muffins
Peanut butter m&ms
Mini candy bars

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs and half an avocado
Lunch: ??? I didn't pack, so I'm going to need to eat out. Wish me luck finding something heh
Dinner: ??? Undecided. Probably a re-vamp of "burrito bowls" with sweet potatoes, or some vegetable soup.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2019, 08:19:11 AM »
I haven't even had breakfast yet, and I'm already excited for 'roasty bowls' for dinner. Roast sweet potato pieces, shredded and roasted brussel sprouts, either beef or elk steak pieces (we'll see what I grab to thaw), and then raw bell pepper, red onion, and paleo ranch dressing. My latest obsession, part of my recent love affair with sweet potatoes.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2019, 08:44:35 AM »
Does posting get boring, or your food? :-) I love apples in salad, gives it an awesome sweet/crunch.

Hah -- I meant my posts about same-old food are boring (to other people).  Maybe my food is boring as well, but I enjoy it!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2019, 08:45:25 AM »

Hah -- I meant my posts about same-old food are boring (to other people).  Maybe my food is boring as well, but I enjoy it!
Righ! I was going to say - as long as you enjoy eating it, it’s not boring! :-)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2019, 08:47:02 AM »
Day 7 for me.

An entire baguette
Scones
Muffins
Peanut butter m&ms
Mini candy bars

Lunch: ??? I didn't pack, so I'm going to need to eat out. Wish me luck finding something heh
Dinner: ??? Undecided. Probably a re-vamp of "burrito bowls" with sweet potatoes, or some vegetable soup.
Any grocery stores near you? I usually default to grabbing a bag of greens and a green goddess or other compliant dressing.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2019, 08:51:07 AM »
I haven't even had breakfast yet, and I'm already excited for 'roasty bowls' for dinner. Roast sweet potato pieces, shredded and roasted brussel sprouts, either beef or elk steak pieces (we'll see what I grab to thaw), and then raw bell pepper, red onion, and paleo ranch dressing. My latest obsession, part of my recent love affair with sweet potatoes.

'Roasty bowls' -- love it!  On recent weekends we've been making a big meal out of roasted veggies.  Typically sweet potatoes, turnips, butternut squash, brussels sprouts.  Red onions also work great.  It surprises me how filling this meal is!  Short on protein for sure, but I'm OK with an occasional carb binge when it's mostly root vegetables.  I like your idea of mixing in pieces of steak.  I have some stew beef that would work well for that.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »
Day 7 for me.

An entire baguette
Scones
Muffins
Peanut butter m&ms
Mini candy bars

Any grocery stores near you? I usually default to grabbing a bag of greens and a green goddess or other compliant dressing.
A place downstairs in my building can probably make something work for me. :)
It's an absolute ice rink where I am today and I don't want to risk walking the mile to the grocery store just now. Seriously. The sidewalks are a quarter inch thick with ice.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2019, 05:12:16 PM »
This ice all over the place is such a beast this year! I feel like everyone I know across the continent is dealing with it today.

Breakfast:
  2 eggs
  goat milk yogurt (not compliant)
  chopped dates
  walnuts
Lunch:
  baked chicken
  roasted potatoes/carrots w/oil & rosemary
  greens
Dinner?
  I may just have a couple clementines, make some tea and hit the hay when I get home

...I had to wait until 3pm to eat lunch, and wanted a grilled cheese from the cafeteria SO BADLY. My body does NOT like wheat or most dairy so this is a terrible idea! But my brain LOVES grilled cheese dipped in RANCH. I'm so glad I know after doing elimination diets before that this is 100% a psychological craving.

My packed lunch did just fine and I was just as satiated. And I won't be bloated and cramping all day tomorrow!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »
This is so much easier to do than I anticipated. I actually think my body is trying to tell me to eat only twice a day and since I ate all my caramels I'm not overly tempted to eat the rest of my stash of chocolates either.
Tomorrow I'll be near the store that carries my favorite caramels - will I stay away?:)

@katscratch - yup, same here, some tea and a clementine would have been a better choice than having veggie soup - now I am way too full.
Mr. R. is recuperating from surgery and wanted soup, I just ate with him - bad move.

This is turning into a really good exercise to find out what agrees with me and dare I say it out loud - less wind.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2019, 09:18:34 PM »
oh gosh, yes, less bloating and all the ways that manifests! I had terrible food sensitivities as a child, with intense gas pains and cramping, and go figure those are totally the foods that give me trouble now that I'm past the age of my stomach tolerating junk food every day :)

I ended up doing tea and cashews. By the time I got home I forgot I had clementines in my lunch bag, ha!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:22:07 PM by katscratch »

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2019, 06:01:57 AM »
bfast: banana, macadamias & almonds, a few pieces of bacon, 2 fried eggs

lunch: Big Ass Salad (made some more pan-fried chicken thigh)

dinner: leftover taco bowl (taco-seasoned ground pork over basmati, diced tomatoes, guacamole)

snacks: 2 apples, a couple handfuls of macadamias/walnuts/raisins, 1 clementine, 1 serving dark chocolate

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2019, 02:11:28 PM »
Day 8

Starting to feel the urge to stray for the first time. It's 80% social stuff. There's a dinner on Sunday I may or may not go to, but that will have no food for me and I don't really want to be That Person. And a friend today asked if they could come over and we could make pie. Ug. I told them I'm doing no sugar and focusing on savory stuff, and they get it, but I feel bad. Like I'm missing out.
I'm doing the W30 for habit resetting purposes and to kick start some weight loss. I've already done a W30 before and learned from it that soy doesn't love me. I'm not doing this for the knowledge an elimination diet brings. So in many ways that makes it much easier to entertain the notion of pressing pause on it.

Food wise and body wise, I'm feeling good, though. :)
Breakfast was two slices of sugar/nitrate free turkey bacon, and egg, and half an avocado.
Lunch was leftover beef and veggie stew from last night.
Dinner will be a big salad with salmon.
:)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2019, 05:23:38 PM »
Day 9:

Still hanging in here. :)
Breakfast: Polished off the last of the beef and veg stew leftovers
Lunch: Salmon and avocado "salad" on an actual green salad
Snack: A banana and peanut butter; walnuts
Dinner: More of the salmon and avocado "salad" with 2 slices of turkey bacon and a bunch of olives

\o/

Tomorrow I plan on cooking up a bunch of sweet potatoes, some brussel sprouts, and a salmon fillet. Early next week I'm going to make a parsnip, mushroom, and beef "risotto"

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2019, 07:56:24 AM »
PTF.  I had planned to do a W30 thisonth but didn't get the food sorted.  I'll read along for inspiration.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »
PTF.  I had planned to do a W30 thisonth but didn't get the food sorted.  I'll read along for inspiration.
Yeah, planning is critical, especially if it's not the sorts of foods you usually cook.
Good luck!
^__^

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
Whole30 - February 2019
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2019, 10:56:13 AM »
I was quietly following along. Most meals have been Whole30 as of last week.

Albondigas soup
Fish, squash, kale chips and a banana
Shredded chicken and broccoli
Eggs, sausage, kale and sweet potato

I do need to use better cuts of meat with regards to the meatballs and sausage. But its a start.

Switched milk-sugar coffee for plain black tea.

This morning’s breakfast was rock fish, avocado and cauliflower rice. Was actually pretty good with some seasoning.

I do still eat the occasional beans and oatmeal. So doing a high Whole30 ratio. :)

And have incorporated walking. But still not up to par with my goal yet.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2019, 06:31:43 PM »
Day 7

Exercise
• HIIT 60 minutes - 587 calories burned!

Nutrition
• Coldbrew coffee, nutpods (I caved and bought some, work is supplying the rest of it starting this coming week though!)
• Artichoke hearts (canned/whole)
• Compliant bacon
• Baked potato with homemade beef burger with onion
• Another beef burger with onion... was hungry after HIIT!
• Sparkling water with 1/3c tart cherry juice added as a spritzer, it was *okay*
• A bite of eggroll in a bowl I made for lunches M-W.

Weight
• -2.6lbs from start.

Sorry I was MIA for two days! Friday was just not a great day for me and I ended up calling in to work and telling them I wasn't coming in and was working from home. Ended up not really doing much work from home, so I'll have to make it up this week. I ate a LOT of food on Thursday night and was generally just completely ravenous AND low energy at the same time, but I stayed compliant. Saturday I pretty much did nothing all day, and today/Sunday I cooked for the week, went to look at a house (I'm going to put an offer in, yay!) and cleaned some. Low key weekend, I'm REALLY not ready for the week, but that's life. I went to the gym on Friday & Sunday and am going back again tomorrow, too! Weight is holding steady, which I'm happy about. I'm a little meat-heavy I've noticed but hopefully this week with the eggroll in a bowl (lots of veggies!) I'll even back out.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:04:15 PM by lexde »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2019, 06:47:13 PM »
Eggroll in a bowl is so good....
I think I'm going to make it later in the week, too, once I get through all the stuff in my fridge. :)

Today (Day 10):

Breakfast: leftover avocado salmon "salad" and 2 slices of turkey bacon
Lunch/snacks: olive tampenade on thin sliced sweet potato (~fine but not "good"); salmon; walnuts; dates
Dinner: olive tampenade with plantain chips (ACTUALLY good); brussel sprouts and salmon; walnuts
"Treat": hot cocoa (unsweetened cocoa powder, hot water, and a spoonful of canned coconut milk)

I feel like I went overboard with the plantain chips. Might have to be pretty careful with those.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2019, 07:00:03 AM »
I'm going to stop posting my daily meals, since they're virtually the same from day to day.  I'll make an exception if I have something interesting to say -- a new recipe or meal prep/planning success.

For diet, I'll just say that I had to make a decision to cut back on the dark chocolate.  I'll probably still have some, but I'm going to limit myself to 1/2 serving per day, max.  So in that sense I'm moving a little closer to the W30 idea.  But you'll still have to pry the basmati rice from my cold, starchy hands!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »
Yeah, planning is critical, especially if it's not the sorts of foods you usually cook.
Good luck!
^__^

I'm also following along for inspiration. I'm a picky eater so I'm going to have to recalibrate things a bit (e.g. I'm not a huge fan of bananas but it seems crazy to dismiss such an easy food when everything is so limited).

For those of you with significant others who are not also doing W30, do you just not share meals for the month?

Also, if making cauliflower rice in my blender a terrible idea? I don't own a food processor and don't want to grate it on top of all the other food prep I would have to do. I may also have seen it available at a local store in the frozen vegetable section but didn't have time to price check it.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2019, 10:21:57 AM »
For those of you with significant others who are not also doing W30, do you just not share meals for the month?
For better or for worse, my partner/roommate is out of the country for the next 4 weeks. XD So yes.
But otherwise, as the main cook in the house, I would just make the food I want in bulk; if she prefers other food she can make it. ;P But that's how we tend to operate anyhow.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2019, 10:57:42 AM »
Good luck!
^__^

I'm also following along for inspiration. I'm a picky eater so I'm going to have to recalibrate things a bit (e.g. I'm not a huge fan of bananas but it seems crazy to dismiss such an easy food when everything is so limited).

Also, if making cauliflower rice in my blender a terrible idea? I don't own a food processor and don't want to grate it on top of all the other food prep I would have to do. I may also have seen it available at a local store in the frozen vegetable section but didn't have time to price check it.
I wouldn't think of Whole30 as that limited - think of it more as a short-term opportunity to try a million other foods you wouldn't normally eat. If you don't like bananas, don't eat 'em! I don't like Avocado, but it's in nearly every recipe that holds itself out as "Whole 30 Approved". Just... no.

Instead I've been eating more cabbage, carrots, sweet potato, russet potatoes. I've also got celeriac in the works. I'm eating more fruit that I wasn't really putting into regular rotation before. A lot of raw coconut chips to snack on. Roasted radishes, I've found, are amazing! And I would have never tried them if I had the option of eating rice/other grains to round out my meal. I'm eating different proteins (pork belly, whole chickens, etc.) too.

So if you don't like bananas, tell bananas to go kick rocks. My avocados will be right there with 'em.

I am 99% sure that you can "rice" cauliflower in a blender. Just do a few florets at a time (maybe 1/6-1/4 of a head at a time?) and then pulse it to chop. You don't want to put in too much at a time or it'll stick to the sides and be uneven, but there should also be a number of youtube videos out there re: ricing cauliflower in a blender.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »
Day 7

Exercise
• HIIT 60 minutes - 432 calories burned

Nutrition
• Coldbrew coffee, nutpods x2 (once before and once after workout)
• Coconut chips
• Egg roll in a bowl
• Strawberries & pineapple
• Beef onion burger x2 for dinner
• Sparkling water
• Hearts of palm

Weight
• didn't weigh in today

I put an offer in on a house today which is super exciting. Fingers crossed I get it. I didn't weigh in today but I did go to the gym this morning and got a decent workout in. I'm still sore from yesterday, but I have tomorrow and Wednesday off. :-) Really enjoyed my egg roll in a bowl this afternoon, hope everyone has a good day today!

PS- I am SHOCKED that I am not missing Coke Zero almost at all. I think the LaCroix is the reason, but still.

ETA- I had to forgo my potato this evening as it had a big black spot running through the middle that I couldn't have seen washing/baking it. Bummer. It was my last one, too. I had a can of hearts of palm (because those + artichoke hearts I can eat like no tomorrow) with dinner instead.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:43:19 PM by lexde »

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »
Fingers crossed !!

I would think you could just take a knife to the cauliflower. I bought cauliflower rice. Convenient for sure. But I will be chopping it myself next time for cost savings. Let us know how the blender works for you. I may try using my Nutribullet for it.

Breakfast

Black tea
Chicken, cauliflower rice, egg, salsa, kale

DD is not doing whole30 but she really enjoyed the spaghetti squash version of spaghetti.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2019, 04:52:49 PM »
I thought for years I hated spaghetti squash and now I love it -- it's the best base for casseroles! The Buffalo Chicken one from Paleomg is a perennial fave around here -- spaghetti squash, ground chicken, frank's hot sauce, mayo, chopped celery/carrots, and an egg. YUM.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2019, 05:59:48 PM »
I thought for years I hated spaghetti squash and now I love it -- it's the best base for casseroles! The Buffalo Chicken one from Paleomg is a perennial fave around here -- spaghetti squash, ground chicken, frank's hot sauce, mayo, chopped celery/carrots, and an egg. YUM.
I... am going to have to try that soon. That sounds awesome, but admittedly I have never even had spaghetti squash!
I like acorn squash and some butternut squash, but am not a huge zucchini/summer squash fan. But that recipe sounds awesome!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2019, 07:22:48 PM »
It doesn't have much flavor on its own. The texture is not like pasta (not chewy) or other types of squash. It can make pretty much anything a casserole by adding an egg and the ingredients you want.

Delicata squash is my favorite substitute for cream in dairy-based sauces, while I'm on the subject of using squash in everything :) 

Foods today:
3 eggs fried in ghee
Chicken breast, jasmine rice
...not so hungry today. Tomorrow I'll be ravenous so I packed a lot of food for my workday.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2019, 07:43:55 PM »
It doesn't have much flavor on its own. The texture is not like pasta (not chewy) or other types of squash. It can make pretty much anything a casserole by adding an egg and the ingredients you want.

Delicata squash is my favorite substitute for cream in dairy-based sauces, while I'm on the subject of using squash in everything :) 

Foods today:
3 eggs fried in ghee
...not so hungry today. Tomorrow I'll be ravenous so I packed a lot of food for my workday.
I've never even heard of Delicata squash! I have some produce to find!

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2019, 05:36:34 AM »

Foods today:
3 eggs fried in ghee

Any squash will be much tastier if you eat it grown locally.  Delicata is in season in the US approximately August-October, so it might be hard to find a good one now.  If you can find kabocha squash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabocha; comes in all colors), that and butternuts are your best bet for delicious squash this time of year.  Kabocha is my all-time favorite.  It's a little starchier (like a potato), nice and sweet, good for roasting, and you can eat the skin, which makes it easy to prepare.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2019, 05:38:15 AM »

Foods today:
3 eggs fried in ghee

Any squash will be much tastier if you eat it grown locally.  Delicata is in season in the US approximately August-October, so it might be hard to find a good one now.  If you can find kabocha squash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabocha; comes in all colors), that and butternuts are your best bet for delicious squash this time of year.  Kabocha is my all-time favorite.  It's a little starchier (like a potato), nice and sweet, good for roasting, and you can eat the skin, which makes it easy to prepare.

Awesome! I realize that my aversion to trying new produce has been seriously holding me back. I'll add this to the list! :-) Thanks!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:21 AM »
Yesterday was hectic and I didn't have the luxury to think about meals ahead of time.  So I threw together something at the last second for dinner, and it was pretty awesome!

I filled a large cabbage leaf with seasoned grass-fed ground beef, chopped tomatoes, diced red onion, a few slices of olive, and a bit of mayo.  Folded it up and ate it like a sandwich.

Come to think of it, it's not much different than my Big Ass Salad after all.  :D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:37:58 AM by Bird In Hand »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2019, 09:51:05 AM »
Like Bird In Hand, my last few days have been a bit weird and I haven't had prepared meals. More just eating bits and bobs of whatever. I've managed okay, though. :) Tonight I'm cooking again, and looking forward to it.

Day 12:
Breakfast -- two slices of turkey bacon, a handful of walnuts, a banana
Snack -- celery and peanut butter (not w30); date and nut cube things from the grocery store
Lunch -- leftover brussel sprouts, salmon; a side salad
Dinner -- beef, mushroom, and parsnip "risotto"

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2019, 06:19:01 PM »
Dinner:

(I had seconds, it was very yum!)

Recipe here: https://www.thepaleomom.com/beef-mushroom-parsnip-risotto/

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2019, 10:06:33 AM »
Day 8 (Yesterday)

Exercise
• Rest day

Nutrition
• Coldbrew coffee, nutpods x2
• Coconut chips
• Egg roll in a bowl
• Strawberries & pineapple
• Beef onion burger & hearts of palm for dinner.
• Sparkling water
• Almond butter, 3 chicken tenderloins cooked in compliant seasoning, some pickles, and almond milk for after-dinner snacks. I was ravenous yesterday. :-(

Weight
• didn't weigh in

I was so snacky yesterday and wanted to eat everything. :-( I think I probably need to eat more during the day, but I just haven't been packing enough, which results in lex-pocalypse in the kitchen later. Stayed compliant, though, and honestly it was probably more like one big meal, I just kept going back into the fridge looking for more haha. I'm thinking this means that (1) I should not forego breakfast as I usually do, or (2) I need a more substantial afternoon snack/lunch. I will take this into consideration!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2019, 10:12:23 AM »
Day 9

Exercise
• Rest day again

Nutrition
• Coconut chips
• Egg roll in a bowl
• A lot of cashews
• Dates
• Buffalo burger
• EPIC chicken sriracha bar (not a fan)

Weight
• -4.0lbs overall

I weighed in this morning just for the heck of it and was pleasantly surprised. I'd be very happy if I could drop another 2lbs this month, but I won't push my luck. Now that I have a lot of the basics for Whole30, it's pretty cheap to eat this way. I'm out of potatoes, but can grab a 5-lb bag for about $3 which will last next week. Combined with some ground turkey for burgers (already have some beef on hand and then chicken thigh/tenderloins in the freezer) I'm pretty much set for next week, too.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:27:57 PM by lexde »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2019, 10:19:11 AM »
Dinner:

(I had seconds, it was very yum!)

Recipe here: https://www.thepaleomom.com/beef-mushroom-parsnip-risotto/
That looks so good! Did you like parsnip rice more than cauli rice? I'll have to try that.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2019, 10:21:15 AM »
Thanks Lexde!
I did! :) It adds a really complex flavor that's almost buttery? It goes well with the beef. I'd made this recipe before but without the carrots, and I enjoy it both ways.

I'm gonna copy you're previous dinner and make pork egg roll in a bowl tonight, though. ;)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2019, 10:24:47 AM »
Thanks Lexde!
I did! :) It adds a really complex flavor that's almost buttery? It goes well with the beef. I'd made this recipe before but without the carrots, and I enjoy it both ways.

I'm gonna copy you're previous dinner and make pork egg roll in a bowl tonight, though. ;)
I got a lot of compliments on the egg roll in a bowl at work! A bunch of people asked me where I “got” it and it took me a minute to realize that they thought it was restaurant-made. Nope! All me. :-) I like using regular cole slaw mix for prettier colors and more flavor instead of plain green cabbage. Both ways are excellent though! Normally it calls for a little extra sweetener but I found it totally unnecessary with the carrots in the mix. :-)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2019, 08:30:45 PM »

I made emergency snack bags for when I am working late and won’t get home until 6:30-7. They’re about 350cal each so quite substantial but also nutritious and filling.

1/4c raw cashews, 1/4c unsweetened coconut, a few slices of freeze dried strawberries.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2019, 06:51:37 AM »
:) That's a smart idea.
Do you hide them from yourself? If I made "emergency snacks" for myself, there's about a 60% chance I'd just eat them regardless of need, because that's how my brain works around shit like that.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2019, 07:36:57 AM »
:) That's a smart idea.
Do you hide them from yourself? If I made "emergency snacks" for myself, there's about a 60% chance I'd just eat them regardless of need, because that's how my brain works around shit like that.
I have a drawer at work that's filled with snacks so I just put them there. I do get into snack-attack mode sometimes, but lately (cutting out both sugar AND artificial sweeteners) I've been okay with self-regulation. Also have a bunch of NON whole-30 foods in there (valentine's candy) that for some strange reason I have no desire to eat. I think it's a combination of "I've made it this far!" and "I actually feel a little better cutting the junk out", but so far so good!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2019, 08:19:32 AM »
I've noticed I'm already over my grocery budget for this month, so I'm going to try to eat out of my freezer/fridge/pantry for the next 2 weeks. Double-challenge! We'll see how far I get, but I should be a-OK.

Off the top of my head, I've got:

- 12 of those snack-bags of nuts/coconut/strawberries
- A red cabbage, duck fat, onions and vinegar, so I may need to pick up an apple to make this braised cabbage dish.
- 2 buffalo burgers
- 3 turkey burgers
- 5 or 6 beef burgers (may use 2 or 3 to make a lighter-meat version of this)
- big bag of onions
- 5-lbs of russets
- 6-8 chicken thighs
- 10 or so chicken tenderloins (big)
- BIG bag of riced cauliflower (3lbs!!)
- 6 eggs
- 12oz pork belly
- 4 chicken sausages (compliant)
- bag of frozen cherries (I eat them after dinner, so good!)
- full bag of coconut chips for additional snacking
- nutpods & coffee (enough for another 1.5 weeks, going to save it for pre-workout coffee, on days I don't work out I'll wait and have it at work on their dime)
- condiments: hot sauce, coconut aminos, whole30 mayo, whole30 garlic aioli, ginger, garlic, green goddess dressing, ghee, coconut oil, mushroom salt, bunch of other seasonings

So meal planning off the top of my head,

This week:
Lunches Thur-Fri: korean beef with cauliflower rice (heavy on cauli rice) + nut snack bags for late snacks if needed
Dinners Wed-Fri: buffalo/turkey burger with garlic mashed cauliflower (just using the riced cauli, garlic aoili for creaminess, a little ghee, salt and pepper) + frozen cherries

Breakfast Sat-Sun: soft-scrambled eggs (2) with chicken sausage
Lunches Sat-Sun: chicken tenderloins with caramelized onions and cauli mash + nut snack bags for late snacks if needed
Dinners Sat-Sun: Braised cabbage with pork belly, need to find an apple!

Next week:
Lunches Mon-Thur: russets diced, seasoned and roasted in duck fat with bunless burger + nut snack bags for late snacks if needed
Dinners Mon-Thur: chicken thighs pan-fried in ghee with cauli mash (maybe more caramelized onions? I have...so many onions...)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2019, 10:32:54 AM »
I'm going to ease into this starting tomorrow.  I just started putting non-compliance foods into a bag to store outside my motorhome and there isn't nearly as much junk as there was last year when I did my first attempt.  Tonight I'll make up my meal plan for tomorrow.  I need to get bananas and some nuts, I have dates and eggs and hamburger.  If I get some potatoes and a couple of sweet potatoes and parsnips and maybe an onion I should be set up for a few days at least.

I'm not going to beat myself up if I slip.  I figure it will take longer get than 30 days to get totally compliant and make it for a month.  I have a complicated relationship with food and just need a jumpstart to eating healthier as well as figure what foods don't play well with my body.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2019, 07:39:24 AM »
Day 10 (Yesterday)

Exercise
• HIIT 60 minutes - 570 calories burnt!

Nutrition
• snack pack - freeze dried strawberries, cashews, coconut
• Egg roll in a bowl
• Buffalo burger & cauli mash for dinner
• olives, some pieces of roasted potato, frozen cherries after dinner

Weight
• didn't weigh in

I think I need to eat more, so I'll probably beef up my lunches next week to keep me full longer. Overall chugging along.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2019, 07:50:12 AM »
Day 11

Exercise
• HIIT 60 minutes - 543 calories burnt

Nutrition
• snack pack - freeze dried strawberries, cashews, coconut
• Beef burger with mushroom powder + roasted russet potato
• Buffalo burger & cauli mash for dinner + chicken tenderloins
• olives
• frozen cherries after dinner

Weight
• didn't weigh in

I had a dream last night that was super weird. I vividly recall eating a grilled chicken sandwich and crinkle-cut french fries having a great time, and then realizing (after the fries were all but GONE and I had the sandwich in my hands) WAIT. NO this is so wrong!

I don't have to start over because I ate garbage in my dream, right?!

The (apparent) moral of my dream: If you stop paying attention, you're bound to make a mistake! Stay vigilant!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2019, 08:45:28 AM »
Starting day 1.  Coffee so far, eggs, bananna, dates (3 kinds) and raisens to get through the morning, hamburger thawing for lunch/dinner.  Today should be fine.

I have several goals with this, only one being totally compliant.  If I want to make plantain tortillas or bananna pancakes I will.  I'm a rebel like that.  😉

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2019, 08:48:21 AM »
Starting day 1.  Coffee so far, eggs, bananna, dates (3 kinds) and raisens to get through the morning, hamburger thawing for lunch/dinner.  Today should be fine.

I have several goals with this, only one being totally compliant.  If I want to make plantain tortillas or bananna pancakes I will.  I'm a rebel like that. 
Welcome! :-) Dates are the best!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2019, 08:50:45 AM »
For dinner last night I had another cabbage leaf wrap (ground beef, red onion, tomatoes, and a bit of mayo).  Very yummy -- I think I'll keep this in my regular rotation.  It should be pretty easy to vary the ingredients a bit to keep it from getting boring.