Author Topic: Whole30 - February 2019  (Read 19140 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Whole30 - February 2019
« on: January 29, 2019, 07:44:03 AM »
Hi all! I will be doing a Whole30 starting on Monday, February 4, 2019 and going until March 6, 2019. If anyone wants to join in, feel free to post starting stats, meal plans, use this as a journal, whatever! I am trying to be more mindful about what I am eating and I think that I can do this in a MMM-approved way by focusing on home-cooked meals, basic ingredients (I will be attempting to spatchcock a chicken!) and buying on sale.

I'm going to include below a basic FAQ for the diet for those who haven't read up. FULL PROGRAM PDF HERE.

What is the Whole30?
The Whole30 is an elimination-type diet that emphasizes whole foods. The goal is to investigate how your body responds to certain foods, by first eliminating them and then slowly reinstating them after the 30 days are up. If they still work for you — great! If you find something that helps you feel better in your body, that’s great too.

What SHOULD you eat on Whole30?
  • Vegetables! Including potatoes, to your heart's content.
  • Fruits. Fruits are allowed in moderation, remember - you're trying to limit your sugar intake during the 30 days.
  • Unprocessed meats. Sausage is still okay, but check for sugar and other off-limit preservatives.
  • Seafood. Fish & shellfish are all good!
  • Eggs. So many.
  • Nuts and seeds. With the exception of peanuts, which are legumes.
  • Oils and ghee. Olive and coconut oil and ghee are your friend. (No peanut oil, because legumes.)
  • Coffee. As long as there is no dairy in it! Almond milk (unsweetened) or other nut-milks are A-OK.

Avoid for 30 Days -
  • Added sugar. Don’t consume sugar that is real or artificial during the 30 days. This includes honey, maple syrup, agave, Splenda, xylitol, and Stevia. When it comes to grocery store finds, this one might be the trickiest to avoid. Common household ingredients — like Sriracha — include added sugar. You need to check the label on everything.
  • Dairy. This means no cheese, cow milk, yogurt, cream, sour cream, kefir, and butter. The only exception to this rule is that you can have ghee.
  • Grains. This means no corn, rice, quinoa, wheat, rye, millet, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, bulgur, or sprouted grains.
  • Alcohol. No alcohol for cooking or drinking is to be consumed while doing Whole30. This includes vanilla extract. You can have something like kombucha, however, which does include a very minor amount of alcohol (as long as there isn’t added sugar from outside of fruit juice).
  • Legumes. For 30 days you can’t eat beans of any kind, soy of any kind (including tofu, soy sauce, miso, edamame), chickpeas, peas, lentils, and peanuts.
  • Carageenan, MSG, and Sulfites. Avoid processed foods while doing Whole30. If you see these three things on any ingredient list, it’s out.
  • "Junk" Food. This means that you can’t recreate your favorite junk food or baked good recipes even if they use Whole30-compliant ingredients. This is less to do with your physical reactions to food, and more to do with the mental side of things. Don’t try to recreate “pizza crust” out of cauliflower, and don’t make “pancakes” out of eggs and banana.

The Golden Rule of Whole30
The most important thing to remember when doing Whole30 is to check the label on everything you buy. A lot of everyday condiments and prepackaged goods have added sugar or additives that you might not be aware of. When in doubt, choose whole foods, especially vegetables, but also fruits, nuts, meats, and seafood.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:20:23 AM by lexde »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole30 - February 2019
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:49:58 AM »
^__^ Thanks for creating this. I'll be starting on Feb 1st.
My plan will to be veg, eggs, and fish heavy, and meat light (but still consumed). I'm looking forward to busting out my recipes and getting my groove back on.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 10:17:47 AM »
Starting to get a Plan In Place.
It is somewhat complicated by my mom coming into town this weekend, and trying to figure out what would feed us both and make us both happy, hahaha. She's an adventurous eater, which helps... But it makes gauging how much leftovers we'll have more difficult.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »
It is somewhat complicated by my mom coming into town this weekend, and trying to figure out what would feed us both and make us both happy, hahaha. She's an adventurous eater, which helps... But it makes gauging how much leftovers we'll have more difficult.
Nice! I like seeing people plan! I have a prior engagement on Sunday, which is why I bumped my start date to Monday the 4th.

Also just as a heads up, peanut butter is a no-go on Whole 30 since peanuts are legumes. If you’re modifying the plan that’s fine, but just wanted to bring it to your attention just in case. :-) Almond butter & banana is awesome, too!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 11:27:50 AM »
Nice! I like seeing people plan! I have a prior engagement on Sunday, which is why I bumped my start date to Monday the 4th.

Also just as a heads up, peanut butter is a no-go on Whole 30 since peanuts are legumes. If you’re modifying the plan that’s fine, but just wanted to bring it to your attention just in case. :-) Almond butter & banana is awesome, too!
:)
I'm keeping peanut butter even though it's not W30! But thanks for (gently) bringing it up in case I wasn't aware. :)

Any favorite recipes you're looking forward to?

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 11:43:00 AM »

I'm keeping peanut butter even though it's not W30! But thanks for (gently) bringing it up in case I wasn't aware. :)

Any favorite recipes you're looking forward to?
I’m definitely looking forward to making some fresh chimichurri and eating it on everything! I love and for some reason totally forgot about it until I was meal planning!

Also topped baked potatoes (with pulled chicken or pork).

And slow/pressure cooked pork shoulder! So many options.

I am NOT looking forward to giving up soda. I drink way too much Coke Zero and know that it will be the most difficult part of the next 30 days. :-( Maybe it will break my habit once and for all, though! I did make a huge 3-gal jug of mint-hibiscus tea which is excellent, so I will plan to have that in my fridge at all times to curb the cravings.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 11:49:48 AM »
I’m definitely looking forward to making some fresh chimichurri and eating it on everything! I love and for some reason totally forgot about it until I was meal planning!

I am NOT looking forward to giving up soda. I drink way too much Coke Zero and know that it will be the most difficult part of the next 30 days. :-( Maybe it will break my habit once and for all, though! I did make a huge 3-gal jug of mint-hibiscus tea which is excellent, so I will plan to have that in my fridge at all times to curb the cravings.
I've never made chimichurri! If you have a favorite recipe, let me know? :)

Re: soda
For me, it's beer. Even NA beer. I love the stuff, like, the taste. Ha! So something I've been getting used to is carbonated water with various fruits or other flavorful things added. Wedge of lime, hank of ginger, fistful of frozen raspberries, etc.
It satisfies that FIZZY THING IN MOUTH need at least a liiiiitttle bit.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 12:57:17 PM »

I've never made chimichurri! If you have a favorite recipe, let me know? :)

Re: soda
For me, it's beer. Even NA beer. I love the stuff, like, the taste. Ha! So something I've been getting used to is carbonated water with various fruits or other flavorful things added. Wedge of lime, hank of ginger, fistful of frozen raspberries, etc.
It satisfies that FIZZY THING IN MOUTH need at least a liiiiitttle bit.
This is the recipe I will be making:
https://cafedelites.com/authentic-chimichurri-uruguay-argentina/

Probably a double-batch! It’s very good on...everything. Grilled meats and veggies, especially.

My office stocks La Croix so I may go for that carbonation; I’ve heard that sparkling water with a bit of tart cherry juice is really good for soda cravings, too.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 07:15:44 AM »
It's the finnnnallll count downnnnnn.

Last day before The Happening. Got my car running despite the -23 F degree temps and plan on using it to make a Trader Joes run after work today to replace some of my staples with sugar free versions.
How rude is it that my powdered peanut butter* contains sugar?
And that my dried blueberries have added sugar too??
FUCKING RUDE, that's how rude.

* I'm a peanut butter rebel.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 09:22:59 AM »
Day 1!
My planning was important, my plan is useless. ;) As almost always is the case.
Breakfast/lunch is leftover "nachos" from last night (idea stolen from @Bracken_Joy ) aka thinly sliced sweet potatoes, baked, topped with spiced ground beef, avocado, olives, and a lime, date, and hemp heart sauce. It's super fucking yummy.
Tonight I'm going to make a pesto and spaghetti squash chicken dish. :)
Let it begin!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »
Day 1!
My planning was important, my plan is useless. ;) As almost always is the case.
Breakfast/lunch is leftover "nachos" from last night (idea stolen from @Bracken_Joy ) aka thinly sliced sweet potatoes, baked, topped with spiced ground beef, avocado, olives, and a lime, date, and hemp heart sauce. It's super fucking yummy.
Tonight I'm going to make a pesto and spaghetti squash chicken dish. :)
Let it begin!
That sounds super good!!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 10:18:09 AM »
I am starting on Monday since I have an event on Sunday that will not (nor should it!) comply with Whole30. That said, I am trying to get a jump start now so I am not totally shocking my system.

This morning was strawberries for breakfast, then a baked potato and buffalo patty for lunch. Dinner will probably be a big salad with a protein mixed in.

No diet soda is going to be the most difficult part of this for me, hands down. I have a black coffee on my desk right now to curb the caffeine-headaches and am sipping lime-water throughout the day. If I break down I may grab a la croix from the work fridge. :-)

bocopro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »
Hello!

Just finished January Whole30 (yesterday!). It's my fifth successful one (don't ask how many failures - yeesh). Finally, it feels like cooking this way has finally "gelled" for me and on Day 31 (today), I just got up and made a Whole30 breakfast and packed lunch like no big deal. It really makes you feel better, so keep it up even when you get cravings.

I'm going to link a few helpful articles and recipes below for anyone who enjoys this kind of eating:

Whole30 Timeline (found this accurate the first few rounds, at least): A lot of Whole30 is mental.
https://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Random tips:
- Have a plan BEFORE you're hungry. Cannot emphasize this enough. Especially if you'll be doing errands, etc. That way you don't panic and sprint into a Panera for one of those crunchy cinnamon sugary bagels covered in cream cheese.
- Put food in your purse/backpack/car/desk - you will be shockingly hungry at weird times. Have it otherwise you'll be staring down a vending machine, nearing tears at some point. All of my food panic moments are coming out strong in this post.... :)
- Pre make food. A lot. I find food volume eaten goes WAY up on Whole30. Whoever suggested above pork shoulder - yes! That makes days and days of lunches.
- Definitely pre-make breakfast. I will include breakfast recipes below (because I love it). Breakfast is the one meal people typically have the most time adjusting to- because the general population doesn't "cook" at breakfast time, or plan. You'll have to and it takes time in the mornings. Whole30 also allows/encourages "non-breakfasty" foods in the AM (savory things, salad, soup, etc.) so if you can do that, more power to you. I can't quite stomach salmon and kale at 6am...
- If you are a coffee drinker, Nut Pods. (This is a Whole30 approved coffee creamer made with almonds and coconut and isn't that bad, really.) Amazon, Kroger, etc. has this in a couple of appropriate flavors and also plain.
- Eat more fat than you think you should. It's pretty  much your energy source. I find I get sad and hungry after too many Whole30 meals of grilled chicken and broccoli. (too few calories, not much energy).
- You can do it!

Recipes:

Egg Bake - Mexican style - so good
https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/mexican-breakfast-casserole-paleo-whole30/

Egg Muffins - you can put anything in these:
https://realsimplegood.com/healthy-egg-muffins/

Whole30 Chili - great for leftovers - and sweet potato in chili = bomb
https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/chorizo-sweet-potato-chili-paleo-whole30/

Chia Pudding - may be totally yucky to you, but I kind of crave a different flavor "palate" mid-whole-30 and this sort of solves it.
https://sunkissedkitchen.com/chia-breakfast-pudding-whole30/

- Also, coconut milk curry - lots of options online and so yummy

I'll be following along this thread to keep at the style of eating (I relapse, which is why I keep repeating Whole30) and as I reintroduce.
Good work, everyone!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 09:51:00 AM »
Hi Bocopro.
Can I ask why you keep doing W30? As I understand it, the elimination part of the diet isn't really meant to be prolonged. It's either a behavior re-set for habit changes (why I'm doing it) or a way to learn about what makes your body feel good etc. Then you move forward, and if you like the style, do something Paleo ish with a bit more flexibility.
Congrats on making it through your W30, though. :)

Today is my Day 2:
Another round of 'nachos' for breakfast. Lunch will be zuchini noodles, chicken, and pesto. Dinner will be spaghetti squash and whatever else is in my fridge.
The salad plan I had got nuked since my delicate leafy greens froze. Thanks, polar vortex.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 11:48:44 AM »
Made some fruit salad today that should last me 4 days or so.

Recipe

Didn’t have grapes on sale, so it’s plum, peach, nectarine. I may go to the store and grab some blueberries to add more texture and colors. It’s yummy as is though!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »
Made Kalua Pig & Cabbage from Nom Nom Paleo’s recipe linked above.

The recipe for me made 6 servings + 1 hungry chef serving as I was shredding the pork. Hold your judgment until you make the recipe and THEN tell me you can wait to portion everything out. ;-)

Overall really good. I may need to freeze 2 or 3 of them and rotate into a later week.

Also picked up chicken thighs, skirt steak & chimichurri. I 100% overshopped this week. I may make the chimichurri tomorrow though to meld in the fridge and the skirt steak after work Monday to have dinners set for a few nights.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 07:07:40 PM »
I forgot to add in the mustachian part to my post and I can’t edit on mobile, so here goes:

Shoulder roast was $16.00
Garlic I had, but maybe $.10?
Salt
3 slices of bacon $.30
1 head of cabbage $.99

Total: $17.39. Made 7 very generous portions. $2.48 per meal plus a bowl of rich stock that I had for dinner. Pup got to chew on the bone for a bit, and got a quarter cup of the stock in her bowl, so we are both happy and full.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 08:15:18 AM »
Nice, Lexde!
Yeah, trying to approach this with some money savings in mind is tough. @__@;;
I'm kinda giving myself a pass for the moment, but eventually I'll need to make sure it's sustainable financially.

Today is my Day 4. So far so good. :) Today is also really the first "test" though, as I'm at work and surrounded by the things that usually get me and my sugar dragon.
Free right now: girl scout cookies, candy bars, home made cookies

So far hanging strong. I had broccoli and collard green saag with (2) eggs in it for breakfast, and lunch will be an avocado, lime, and salmon salad on a bunch of leafy greens.
Snacks are a cucumber, and apple, and some peanut butter*

*Yes, I'm a rebel

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 08:33:23 AM »
So rebellious ;-)

Day 1

Exercise
• HIIT 60 mins (570 cal burnt) - New high score for the 60-minute time!

Nutrition
• Coffee with nutpods.
• 1 of 2 servings of fruit salad and a coconut LaCroix for breakfast.
• Lunch is Kalua Pig & Cabbage.
• TJ's unsweetened coconut chips for a snack.
• Dinner will be marinated flank steak and chimichurri. Plus baked potato if I'm still hungry, otherwise Omit.

I’ve been told that volume eating on Whole30 goes up (as evidenced, also, by the nearly-gone fruit salad I made).

Weight
• Recorded Start Weight
I know you aren't supposed to weigh in during Whole30 but I am going to be tracking this regardless. It's the only rule I plan on breaking, and doesn't impact what I do/don't eat anyway, which I think is the reason for the rule to begin with.

What I’ve learned so far...
• Fruit salad is good but not worth it. Too expensive and eaten too quickly! I used 8 fruits plus mint to make this, and I have one serving left that may be gone today (after 3 days). I could eat two whole fruits per day for this, and it’d last longer and stay fresher at that rate. Now I know!
• Coconut LaCroix is the best flavor (to me, by far). I can already tell that this will be what gets me through the next 30 days of being Coke(Zero)-free.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:44:40 AM by lexde »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »
Oof, to me that doesn't sound like enough food for the morning, especially after a big workout. But everyone is different. Speaking of different, I find that to be the worst flavor of LaCroix HAHA. But I'm really glad it works for you; those pop cravings are no joke.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »
Nom nom paleo's kalua pig and cabbage, slow cooked in the oven, is my all time favorite food to make and eat. I learned it that way first and cooking it differently just doesn't compare, so I save it for holidays with heritage pork. MMMMMMMMMMMM

Following for recipe ideas and inspiration to stick to my current eating. I've eaten 95% paleo for six or seven years now but this year am trying to reintroduce some foods like quinoa and lentils (the latter isn't looking so promising thus far).

It took me a good year to really feel like paleo was "easy". For instance meal planning, prepping and batch cooking are just things I do to get ready for my week now - I know those aren't exclusive to paleo but they weren't things I did before I had to prepare all my food for several months in the beginning. It also feels totally normal to travel or be out with friends while sticking to foods my body likes. My budget settled down after a few months - especially if you're coming off a more standard carb heavy diet, the hunger at first is ridiculous! Once your brain finally figures out different cues for satiety that does get better!

I've heard several times LaCroix and tart cherry or cranberry juice but always forget it! That sounds like it would be a good substitute for me for the acidity of wine, one of my chronic off and on vices.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 10:00:56 AM »
I've done many W30's in the past, and before that ate pretty strict paleo for a while.

In response to some joint inflammation last month, I started eating +/- W30-compliant* about a week ago -- after a holiday season filled with far more grain and sugar than I'd prefer.   I plan on continuing for a while, so I'll join this thread.

*My weight drops like a rock if I don't keep my carbs up a bit, and I suffer some unpleasant side effects if my carbs come mainly from fruit and potatoes.  So I do include white rice in my diet.  And pastured butter.  But I won't mention those any further in this thread.  :)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 10:03:14 AM »
I've done many W30's in the past, and before that ate pretty strict paleo for a while.

In response to some joint inflammation last month, I started eating +/- W30-compliant* about a week ago -- after a holiday season filled with far more grain and sugar than I'd prefer.   I plan on continuing for a while, so I'll join this thread.

*My weight drops like a rock if I don't keep my carbs up a bit, and I suffer some unpleasant side effects if my carbs come mainly from fruit and potatoes.  So I do include white rice in my diet.  And pastured butter.  But I won't mention those any further in this thread.  :)
Welcome! And you don’t have to hide your modifications. No Whole30-police here. :-)

I hope you can narrow down the cause of your inflammation! That sounds awful.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »
Welcome! And you don’t have to hide your modifications. No Whole30-police here. :-)

Thank you!  *whew*, I will then boast about how much better sweet potatoes are with pastured butter vs coconut oil!  ;)

bfast today: 2 eggs fried in olive oil, handful of almonds + handful of macadamias (both home-roasted @ low temp w/ olive oil and sea salt), handful of raisins, banana, 2 olives, black coffee, medium-small apple

lunch today: 1 med sweet potato with pastured butter + copious ceylon cinnamon, steamed broccoli, and seasoned grass-fed ground beef with diced tomatoes and red onion

after lunch (planned): black coffee + 1/2 serving of 85% dark chocolate -- for the iron, fiber, and flavanols!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:17:43 PM by Bird In Hand »

bocopro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 02:53:13 PM »
Hi Bocopro.
Can I ask why you keep doing W30? As I understand it, the elimination part of the diet isn't really meant to be prolonged. It's either a behavior re-set for habit changes (why I'm doing it) or a way to learn about what makes your body feel good etc. Then you move forward, and if you like the style, do something Paleo ish with a bit more flexibility.

Short answers are:

- I routinely fall off the Paleo wagon and like a little "reset" because I'm an irrational person who *knows* grains/dairy don't sit well with me, but have trouble actually completely nixing them.
- I'm an abstainer, not a moderator (Gretchen Rubin's excellent book Better Than Before talks a lot about habit change) and Whole30's abstaining nature ensures I'll eat healthfully for an entire month as opposed to failing miserably at moderation.
- Having a few Whole30's under my belt means it's not as jarring or miserable as the first, thus, the huge inconvenience factor is gone, making them an easy "whoa there, better eat a little better" reset to keep doing when it seems I'm relying more on (expensive, unhealthy, sugary) convenience foods a bit more than my liking.

You're right, sticking to Paleo is a way more tenable solution. I'm working on habit change to get to that point at this very moment!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 02:54:33 PM »
Hi Bocopro.

Short answers are:

- I routinely fall off the Paleo wagon and like a little "reset" because I'm an irrational person who *knows* grains/dairy don't sit well with me, but have trouble actually completely nixing them.
- I'm an abstainer, not a moderator (Gretchen Rubin's excellent book Better Than Before talks a lot about habit change) and Whole30's abstaining nature ensures I'll eat healthfully for an entire month as opposed to failing miserably at moderation.
- Having a few Whole30's under my belt means it's not as jarring or miserable as the first, thus, the huge inconvenience factor is gone, making them an easy "whoa there, better eat a little better" reset to keep doing when it seems I'm relying more on (expensive, unhealthy, sugary) convenience foods a bit more than my liking.

You're right, sticking to Paleo is a way more tenable solution. I'm working on habit change to get to that point at this very moment!
Cool! :) I hope my comment didn't come across as too abrasive. Totally understand that we're all on our own food journeys. ^__^

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 06:02:22 PM »
End of day 1. I made flank steak, delicious and fresh chimichurri, and a baked potato.

Totally grumpy and it took me a second to realize that it’s because I haven’t had any sugar/artificial sweetener today. I didn’t even realize I often end my day with something sweet. I need to break that habit, now is as good a time as any!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 06:17:08 AM »
For dinner I made a Big Ass Salad (nickname courtesy of Mark's Daily Apple, circa 2010).  Salads are my favorite meal lately, and for dinner mine had: mixed greens, carrots, radish, red onion, tomato, olives, walnuts, cucumber, bell pepper, raisins, ham, sea salt, pepper, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar.  That describes almost every salad I make, but I vary the protein (chicken, egg, tuna, etc.).

Totally grumpy and it took me a second to realize that it’s because I haven’t had any sugar/artificial sweetener today. I didn’t even realize I often end my day with something sweet. I need to break that habit, now is as good a time as any!

I hear that!  I'll have periods where I forgo the after-dinner sweet snack, but if I make an exception just once, the very next day I feel a strong craving to have it again, even if I've stuffed myself silly at dinner.  I've settled on a reasonably benign snack of a piece of fruit and/or some dark chocolate.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 06:31:12 AM »
I've settled on a reasonably benign snack of a piece of fruit and/or some dark chocolate.
That seems like the way to go for me. I have some frozen cherries that should bridge the gap.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2019, 07:25:45 AM »
Today is my Day 5, and I'm a little off my game. Thankfully I made a good amount of food so I can afford to be so.
(Had to take my pet in for surgery this morning, appetite is all over the place)
Breakfast was a small bit of saag and an egg, supplemented with date and nut cubes from the grocery store because snacking is easier on a nervous tummy than a big meal.
Lunch will be pork "egg roll" stir fry bowl leftovers from last night (super yummy!) and my afternoon snack is a banana and some nut butter. I also have a cucumber and some baba ganouj as a back-up if I get ravenous.

Bird In Hand, your big ass salad sounds delicious as hell.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2019, 07:32:44 AM »
Today is my Day 5, and I'm a little off my game. Thankfully I made a good amount of food so I can afford to be so.
(Had to take my pet in for surgery this morning, appetite is all over the place)
Breakfast was a small bit of saag and an egg, supplemented with date and nut cubes from the grocery store because snacking is easier on a nervous tummy than a big meal.
Lunch will be pork "egg roll" stir fry bowl leftovers from last night (super yummy!) and my afternoon snack is a banana and some nut butter. I also have a cucumber and some baba ganouj as a back-up if I get ravenous.

Hope everything is okay with your pet today. :-( I know that feeling and it's awful.
Egg roll in a bowl is one of my favorite meals. Sounds like you've set yourself up for success today!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 07:39:02 AM »
Hope everything is okay with your pet today. :-( I know that feeling and it's awful.
Egg roll in a bowl is one of my favorite meals. Sounds like you've set yourself up for success today!
<3 Thank you! She's a good cat. <3

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2019, 07:40:54 AM »
Day 2

Exercise
• HIIT 60 mins (475 cal burnt) - I was gassed this morning even going in. I had trouble sleeping last night (was up from around 2:40-3:15am) and then tossed and turned a lot, so I went into the 6:15 class pretty tired as-is. Just went on autopilot, and stuck it out, so no complaints.

Nutrition
• Had a few pieces of flank steak dipped in chimichurri at 7:45 when I got back from class.
• Black coffee (maybe add nutpods but probably  not) soon to wake up.
• Steak, chimichurri and a baked potato for lunch.
• Fruit salad for afternoon snack.
• Coconut chips for another snack if I'm still hungry, but optional.
• Buffalo burger & baked potato for dinner.
• Frozen cherries for dessert if I can't kick the sweet tooth today.
• La Croix (coconut and/or mango) while I curb my diet soda habit. Also lots of water with lime (TrueLemon & TrueLime is a LIFE SAVER - cannot recommend enough!) and some iced hibiscus-mint tea at home.

Weight
• -1.8lbs from start - water weight for sure.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:45:04 AM by lexde »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2019, 09:08:18 AM »
Following, but I ended up not doing the w30 this time after all. My IVF timeline got moved up a little, so I didn't want too much on my plate at once. Still, eating predominantly paleo, but far from w30 level of perfect I'll admit! Following for inspiration/recipes/etc.

@Bird In Hand have you had ghee? I can't imagine eggs cooked in olive oil, that sounds really funky, I tried it once and it was pretty rough flavor wise! Ghee is delicious, esp for scrambling or frying eggs, and it's super easy to make.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2019, 09:21:20 AM »
@Bird In Hand have you had ghee? I can't imagine eggs cooked in olive oil, that sounds really funky, I tried it once and it was pretty rough flavor wise! Ghee is delicious, esp for scrambling or frying eggs, and it's super easy to make.

It's probably a little funky.  :)   The trick is 1) don't use a lot of EVOO, or 2) use refined olive oil, and/or 3) use EVOO so frequently that you get used to the taste.  I use a modest amount of EVOO and don't notice the taste anymore in the eggs.

I've also used refined coconut oil, butter, and ghee for frying eggs.  All good choices IMO -- EVOO is simply my go-to choice.

Good luck with the next round of IVF!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 11:31:54 AM »

It is!  Not only that, but it's very filling and a dead simple way to load up on a day's worth of veggies all in one meal.  Having it pre-made (1qt mason jars) for the entire week ahead is icing on the cake.

Dang, now I'm hungry for cake!  :D

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 12:33:36 PM »
Following - but with a different agenda. I've declared 2019 my year for health, but I'm not quite up for a regimented whole30 for a month.

1. So, I thought I'd peek in and try all the recipes that sound good to me for a start.
We'll see how that goes - my goal is healthier eating in general, so I think whole30 is a good choice.

2. In January, I finally managed to switch back to all black coffee and started a 12-week Qui Gong class.
Now in February - I'm tackling salads.
I already have five good ones in my repertoire that I hardly ever actually make, duh. That is changing as of today.
My goal is to find five more salads that we both like.   

3. I don't want to diet either, but I want to cut down and out as much of the sweets that I'm hooked on as possible.
Chocolate and Caramel and Truffles - oh my:).
So to start with - no more sweets past six o'clock. I will allow up to three in the afternoon then work my way down to just one. I think I'll eat up my provisions and when I'm out, I'm done.
Sweets are my downfall - so I can't see myself cutting those out entirely-forever, but I should be able to cut it by 90%.

I'm contemplating sticking with my oatmeal, nuts and fruit,... boiled egg...or fruit, eggs and potato for breakfast. I guess oatmeal is a grain, but for now it is staying.
I do know dairy is a problem for me, so I am largely cutting it out and I suspect some grains might be problematic for me too.

If you don't mind @lexde I'll hang around since most my goals for February do fit in with your whole30.

Now I am looking at that 'big ass salad' recipe to see how much of that I can integrate into tonight's supper - grilled shrimp.
... and I am (almost) wishing I hadn't eaten a (small) slice of my birthday cheesecake - sliced up fresh strawberries (it's the strawberry season in Florida) and totally forgot I had whipping cream to go with it. Maybe my subconscious is trying to help me:)

I need to look up Salad Nicoise, I think it qualifies as a whole30 candidate. It does - yay! Haven't made that in ages.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14239/salad-nicoise/

or this version:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/255361/nicoise-salad/?internalSource=similar_recipe_banner&referringId=14239&referringContentType=Recipe&clickId=simslot_3

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 12:35:54 PM »
Welcome, @Rosy - the more the merrier! :-)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 08:35:26 AM »
Yesterday meals:

bfast: banana, macadamias, almonds

lunch: Big Ass Salad (usual recipe) with pan-fried chicken thigh

dinner: seasoned ground pork (taco seasonings) & green chili refried beans over basmati rice, with diced onions & tomato, topped with guacamole

random snacks during the day: 2 apples, 1 clementine, a handful of various nuts, olives, and a couple pieces of dark chocolate

The rice, refried beans, and chocolate are definitely not W30, but all three are relatively benign IMO.  I wish I could do without the refried beans, but my taco bowl was sad enough without the sour cream.  :(

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 08:37:48 AM »
Yesterday meals:

bfast: banana, macadamias, almonds

lunch: Big Ass Salad (usual recipe) with pan-fried chicken thigh

dinner: seasoned ground pork (taco seasonings) & green chili refried beans over basmati rice, with diced onions & tomato, topped with guacamole

random snacks during the day: 2 apples, 1 clementine, a handful of various nuts, olives, and a couple pieces of dark chocolate

The rice, refried beans, and chocolate are definitely not W30, but all three are relatively benign IMO.  I wish I could do without the refried beans, but my taco bowl was sad enough without the sour cream.  :(

Great sour cream sub for taco bowls: http://www.worthcooking.net/taco-salad-creamy-cilantro-dressing/ The hemp hearts make it super creamy and dairy like.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 08:55:24 AM »
Day 3

Exercise
• Rest day for me. :-)

Nutrition
• Coffee with some Nutpods creamer at work to start the day - not sure if I am going to buy more of this. It's nice, but expensive.
• Turkey burger with MMP + baked potato with ghee for lunch.
• Coconut chips for afternoon snack.
• Steak & chimichurri for dinner with riced cauliflower.
• Frozen cherries for dessert.
• La Croix while I curb my diet soda habit. Also lots of water with lime.

Weight
• -2.6lbs from start - water weight for sure. I'm trying to decide if this is from cutting out (diet) soda or not, since I drink just as much seltzer water right now as I was drinking soda, so it can't be the carbonation.

Either way, my skin is clearing up a bit (may just be coincidental since I'm only on day 3) and I've lost some water weight/bloating that I had, which is nice.

Also, I am seriously convinced that Nom Nom Paleo's Magic Mushroom Powder is in fact magic. I don't like mushrooms but I like umami a lot, so I figured I'd give it a go. I made the small-batch recipe: 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms (ground into fine powder); 2/3c kosher salt; 1tbsp crushed red pepper; 1tsp fresh ground black pepper (I used white/black peppercorn mix); and 2tsp dried thyme. It smells pretty earthy but the flavor it imparts on EVERYTHING IT TOUCHES is amazing. 10/10 recommend that you guys give it a shot. I got the dried mushrooms on Amazon, the rest I had on hand.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »
Great sour cream sub for taco bowls: http://www.worthcooking.net/taco-salad-creamy-cilantro-dressing/ The hemp hearts make it super creamy and dairy like.

Nice, thank you!  It didn't occur to me that there might be a reasonable non-dairy alternative to sour cream.  I'll definitely look into it.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 10:27:13 AM »

Nice, thank you!  It didn't occur to me that there might be a reasonable non-dairy alternative to sour cream.  I'll definitely look into it.
Can confirm, very yummy, too!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 10:29:11 AM »
Day 6!
Breakfast was re-heated pork "egg roll" bowl; lunch will be leftover avocado and salmon salad.
I need to make a fresh set of food today, though, for dinner and for lunch tomorrow.
Anyone have suggestions? I'd prefer it to be either vegetarian or egg/fish centered since I've used pork this week already.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »
Anyone have suggestions? I'd prefer it to be either vegetarian or egg/fish centered since I've used pork this week already.

You could make some egg salad (w/ homemade mayo -- avocado oil is my favorite for this) and put it on a Big Ass Salad.  That's always a welcome addition to my salad repertoire anyway.

If you don't want to bother with making the egg salad (to put on your salad), then a big heap 'o hard boiled eggs works well too.

Or Big Ass Salad with tuna.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:14:46 AM by Bird In Hand »

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
Yes yes yes on magic mushroom powder! I love that stuff! My local grocery chains carry a variety of dried mushrooms. It's tasty on so many foods.

Today's foods:
  • 3 eggs
  • black coffee x too many
  • goat milk yogurt w/frozen berries (not W30/paleo compliant)
  • super juicy baked chicken breast:
    * brine x 30 minutes
    * baste with melted ghee
    * rub with whatever spices suit your fancy (this time I used paprika, garlic, pepper)
    * bake in preheated 450F oven until internal temp reaches 165F (about 20 minutes for my oven)
    * rest, covered; let cool completely before popping into lunch containers
  • salad greens w/walnuts and olive oil
  • green tea
  • roasted baby potatoes and carrots w/ghee and rosemary

That's what I brought to work. We'll see if I eat anything else once I get home - around 9pm. More likely I'll just make tea and go to bed :)
[/list]

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 11:03:59 PM »
I’m not doing Whole 30, I just like reading threads with good healthy recipes, haha.

Anyway, I went to Trader Joe’s tonight and much to my surprise they have a new seasoning that sounds exactly like that mushroom powder. It’s called Mushroom and Company: Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend. It’s got salt, dried onion, mustard seed, porcini powder, white button powder, red pepper, black pepper, and thyme. It was only $2.99. I haven’t used it in anything yet but it tastes really good on its own. I thought other people might be interested. And also wanted to say thanks for the recommendation, because I wouldn’t have thought anything of it if I hadn’t read this thread today!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2019, 07:21:00 AM »
I’m not doing Whole 30, I just like reading threads with good healthy recipes, haha.

Anyway, I went to Trader Joe’s tonight and much to my surprise they have a new seasoning that sounds exactly like that mushroom powder. It’s called Mushroom and Company: Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend. It’s got salt, dried onion, mustard seed, porcini powder, white button powder, red pepper, black pepper, and thyme. It was only $2.99. I haven’t used it in anything yet but it tastes really good on its own. I thought other people might be interested. And also wanted to say thanks for the recommendation, because I wouldn’t have thought anything of it if I hadn’t read this thread today!

I love it. It's SO good on avocado. And HB eggs. And like... everything.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2019, 07:39:42 AM »
This is getting boring since I eat mostly the same thing each day.  Yesterday's food:

bfast: banana, macadamias & almonds (I've been lacking in AM protein lately)

lunch: sardines over basmati rice

dinner: Big Ass Salad (leftover pan-fried chicken thigh).  Also added diced apples to this one, yum.

snacks: 2 apples, sesame nori, 1 clementine, cinnamon + banana slices + PB on rice cakes, 1/2 serving dark chocolate