Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427531 times)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #900 on: January 19, 2016, 10:42:48 AM »
It's so wonderful to hear that it's helped you guys in so many ways :))

My co-worker just asked if I wanted anything from the bakery down the street. I said no. +1 willpower point to Oro!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #901 on: January 19, 2016, 10:46:52 AM »

My co-worker just asked if I wanted anything from the bakery down the street. I said no. +1 willpower point to Oro!

Way to go Orvell! Do you have anyone you can recruit to do Whole 30 with IRL? It makes it so, so much easier.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #902 on: January 19, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »

Way to go Orvell! Do you have anyone you can recruit to do Whole 30 with IRL? It makes it so, so much easier.
Not... as such. There is a co-worker (different one) doing what I believe amounts to paleo diet right now, but her method isn't the same and involves days off etc.

In a strange way, I want to keep it private? Not secret. I'm telling lots of people, especially people who might be tempted to make me food in the near future, what I'm up to. But I don't really want to deal with questions from certain co-workers.
I work in the construction industry. My being vegetarian for a few years here was scandalous enough. ;) The idea of cutting out donuts is nigh inconceivable.

Luckily I have supportive friends outside of work, irl and on the internet both. :)))

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #903 on: January 19, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »
This week is starting not good.....I'm already off plan. This week I had/have 3 unplanned lunches.  One was with a group of friends on Sunday, after a friend from out of town showed up.  I ordered a salad, and told them to leave off all the things I couldn't eat.  Well, the salad comes along and there's cheese on it.  UGGG! It wasn't the time or place to send it back so I ate it.  Today I had lunch with my parents for my dad's birthday, and the SAME FRICKIN' THING happened!  The frustrating thing is that they didn't even list cheese on the ingredients for BOTH salads so I didn't ask to have it left off.

Well, the old me would have been like 'What the hell....I'm just gonna eat everything bad since I blew it'.  But the new me rolled with the punches.  Yes, I went off plan, but only with the things I couldn't control.  I didn't have a dab of the sour cream sitting on my plate, or go wild and eat the chips and salsa that was served with the meal.  Officially I'm back to day 1 with Orvell, but I'm still counting it as a victory! 

Now to work on exercising......Swift - you're motivating me to getting moving again. We have been in the deep freeze that just doesn't make me want to go into the cold garage and workout.  I just moved my treadmill inside the house though, so no excuses.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #904 on: January 19, 2016, 01:19:47 PM »
Hey there everybody!

I've been doing Paleo on-and-off since mid 2010, and have done a Whole 30 every January since 2012. Saw this thread awhile back, holy crap it's gotten huge! Slowly making my way through the backlog, but wanted to comment to let y'all know that I'm in this with y'all. Doing our typical January Whole 30, going well so far. Here is what a typical week of groceries looks like for my wife and I during Whole 30:

- 15-20 lbs meat (this translates to 9oz/7oz cooked meat for me/her each lunch and dinner)
 - 10-15 lbs sweet potatoes (baked, hashed, or pressure cooked to fuel our Crossfit habit)
 - 10 lbs of vegetables/greens (roasted, grilled, or stir-fried)
 - 2 dozen eggs (for my breakfasts and spicy bacon avocado deviled eggs)
 - 5-10 fruits, typically oranges, for me to eat after lunch
 - Assorted condiments, spices, salsas, etc.

We buy sugar-free bacon, hot dogs, and ground pork from US Wellness in bulk. We've purchased a half a cow before from a local farmer (lasted about 9 months making 1/3-1/2 our meals each week from it) and plan to again sometime in the near future.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:23:22 PM by Philociraptor »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #905 on: January 19, 2016, 01:48:59 PM »
Hey Philociraptor,

Thanks for joining in! I loved reading your list of groceries. It's such a sea change when you have never eaten this way before, so I'm still hit and miss with buying the right amount of fresh produce every week. How many people are you feeding? We bought two sides of beef and 50 chickens from our friendly organic farmer. I supplement with fish from Costco - mahi mahi tonite. I also buy salmon and cod and halibut when it's in season.

Happy eating!
1967mama

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #906 on: January 19, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »
Hi. I'm not sure if I can join in for a whole30 due to budget constraints and a couple of dietary restrictions (no pork, no cheap eggs...best local price is $3.00 per dozen). I've done whole30 and paleo before but at that time I was spending $600-$800 per month on groceries or we could hunt/have a big garden.

Any blogs/links/suggestions for a whole30/paleo on a very low (~$300 for 4 people) budget? No farmers market close by until summer. Some of the food has to travel to work/school and I will have to use part of the budget for gluten free flours (kiddos are very little and want bread + weird public school culture). I apologize if this has been covered before. I haven't read the whole thread but did search the forum.

Right now, I'm planning on dropping wheat for me and replacing it with lentils. I'm sure it's causing my anxiety spikes. We're working hard on repairing the effects of a double job loss so hopefully the budget can loosen up a bit in the next year or so. In the meantime, I would love to get as close to either whole30 or paleo or primal as possible.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #907 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:39 PM »
Welcome to our little corner of the forums, Mongoose :)

I think that the best way to approach is is to do the best with what you have available.  You mentioning hunting, do you know anyone else who hunts that might want to barter some meat?

I have noticed that there is definitely a difference in they types and quality of veggies between summer and winter. We have been relying a lot more on sweet potatoes. They tend to go on sale fairly often and store well. 

While not strictly Whole 30, I have made these Keto gluten-free buns which use fairly cheap ingredients and are tasty made savory or sweet:
http://healinggourmet.com/healthy-recipes/keto-paleo-dinner-rolls/

Here is a site with a Whole30 Once a month cooking meal plan. I haven't had a chance to dig into it too deeply but it looks like some good stuff!http://blog.stuffimakemyhusband.com/p/whole30-oamc-freezer-menu.html

I have been doing meat + Veg stew/sauce lately. You could stretch it oven further by using sweet potatoes or potatoes as a "base" This is from an earlier post: "Also - I'm resorting to the old trick of stuffing as much veggies as I can into meat sauce. It seems to be working great :) I made a veggie/meat stew that had a huge zucchini, roasted red peppers, two eggplants, a roasted squash, onion and tomato and a ton of spices. Pretty tasty, and, as a bonus will feed us for the next few days easy. Want to see how far I can stretch it by just adding more and more veg."

Also, keep an eye out for sales and case lot specials. Coconut milk sometimes goes on sale for super cheap, so it never hurts to buy lots when you can!

I'll definitely be interested to see if anyone has some more tips on eating this lifestyle without it breaking the bank.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #908 on: January 19, 2016, 06:35:13 PM »
I'm still new to all this, but I've done one sort of healthy eating or another off and on for the last 4 years, and always keeping it cheap. 1) Make sure you're shopping at the best (in your case, most affordable for produce and meats) place (can you do any shopping online? Especially for specialty things it might be wise to investigate) and 2) Bulk is your friend, but only if you have a plan for leftovers and don't run into issue 3) Make sure you're eating 100% of what you buy. Food waste is money straight down the drain.

The obvious answer to me looking at your situation, is buy and eat less meat. $3/dozen for eggs isn't cheap, but it isn't crazy either, and can still supplement and be a part of your protein plan (just not Gaston from Beauty and the Beast style.... ).

But protein *is* important, and Whole30 doesn't let you sub in beans, so it's a balancing act. I picked up a huge tub of cashews from Aldi for under $11, so there are deals out there on protein if you can find 'em. But also don't get obsessive about protein sources imo, especially if you're not meat-free completely, eat some eggs and fish, and eat nuts. It shows up in the plant side of things, too. Heck, broccoli, spinach, all the good shit has protein, you just have to eat more of it to get your quantities. Carrots, imo one of the damed cheapest veggies out there, have 1.2g of protein per cup chopped. Huh! Even I didn't know that one. :) Basically, don't forget you're getting supplemented on it with your healthy diet when you do your 'but i need to eat x lbs of meat for protein' calcs.

Good luck! I bet you can do it! :)

Swick: where do you see the coconut milk sales? Online or on meatspace? I'm down to my last can! :O

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #909 on: January 19, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »
Swick: where do you see the coconut milk sales? Online or on meatspace? I'm down to my last can! :O

Good tips! Oddly, my local family owned grocery store always has cheap organic coconut milk. Usually 2.00 a can reg price (I'm in Canada) but sometimes it will go on sale for 1.00 a can. I buy them out then :)

Definitely shop your smaller/ethnic grocery stores and price compare. Mine is owned by an Italian family and they bring in the Huge size jars of roasted red peppers. It is way way way cheaper them buying them for 5.99 a lb and in a much easier to use (and tasty) form.

Also bone broths - if you aren't making your own broth and stock it is an easy way to save. We have found recently that one of our cheapest protein sources is whole duck. (now granted it is just the two of us, so one duck will feed us both with some leftovers) but once I render the skin, I usually get over a cup of duck fat (usually sells for above 10.00 here) and several quarts of bone broth.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #910 on: January 20, 2016, 12:10:06 AM »
Welcome, Mongoose! There's lots of flexibility within this group (some strict whole 30, some whole 30ish, some reintroducers, some Paleo, some keto) so pull up a chair and join in!

One thing I've noticed is that my grocery bills are stabilizing (after really spiking at first) now that I'm NOT buying other foods. I'm not buying junk food, I'm not stopping for fast food, etc. And that would include not buying that stuff for the kids either.

When I think of what used to be on my grocery list: potato chips, pop, ice cream, cookies, sour cream, boatloads of yogurt, cheese (oh the cheese), cereal, taco chips, candy treats,

And my grocery list now: boatloads of fruit and vegetables, huge variety of spices (all bought in bulk), frozen fish, juice, nuts, eggs, canned tuna and salmon.

Another tip I've picked up along the way is to serve rice for the non-Whole30 members of your family. I serve rice A LOT to fill up my large family. Potatoes are a wonder food for the 3 of us in my house doing Whole30 -- we have them quite often and my daughter claims they have cured her of bread. I am so surprised that I no longer crave bread!

Sorry if this is full of typos -- iPhone!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #911 on: January 20, 2016, 07:53:21 AM »
I agree with you, 1967mamma. It seems like our groceries are starting to stabilize...crazy food prices aside. But yeah, the first few months really had me down. Oh the cheese! Americans don't know how good they have it with cheese selection and price!

An interesting way of looking at it is through an overall budget perspective and how much is your health really worth it for you. If it is a couple extra hours a month, is it worth it to downgrade your cable or phone, entertainment budget or drive less? Now, I know this isn't really helpful for you right now, Mongoose.  But it is is some interesting food for thought.

I was reading that the average emergency hospital visit in he US,  for diet/lifestyle related illnesses upwards of $18,000? I always make sure we have travel insurance when we go stateside. I had a friend who had a heart attack across the border and they lost their house because of the medical bills. Sorry off topic...I just think if you have to pay for your own healthcare it is double motivation to get as healthy as you can!

As far as looking at the whole budget there are lots of OTHER areas we have been saving money because of this lifestyle, even though our food budget has gone up.

- Haircuts - I use to get really bad headaches from my hair if it got too long, so would need a cut every 1.5-ish months. Yearly savings: About $180.00

- Over the counter meds - We get less heartburn, headaches, aches and pains in general. I don't really have an estimate here but imagine it is quite a bit.

- Eating out/entertainment - We not only eat out less, we are doing more "free" entertainment as we have the energy to hike and explore and enjoy the outdoors. Yearly savings, Est:$1,200 (probably on the low side)

- Better health = less sick days and time off work. My income has increased quite a bit because I run my own business and actually am feeling well enough to do the work to bring in the $. Fun side benefit, more confidence = more $ :)

-Becuase we have more energy, we have been doing a lot more DIY, instead of paying people. Tons of savings there on home maintenance and upkeep. Savings so far: At least a 300.00 call out to the furnace guy, $500.00 minimum for an electrician

I'm sure there is more, I'll have to keep thinking about it, I actually hadn't looked at it this way before, and it does really help make me feel not quite so bad at over spending on the food budget, but I am still working on getting it down!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #912 on: January 20, 2016, 07:54:27 AM »
Hi Mongoose!  Ditto what everyone else said.  $300 is a tough budget, but I think you can stay wheat free and whole foods on that.  I wanted to add on to 1967's mention of rice.  White rice, particularly, is basically non-problematic in terms of allergies, inflammatory issues etc.  So if you guys can handle the carbs, it should be a good staple, along with potatoes.  Fried rice with little bits of meat and veg is a very Mustachian meal.  I am also with you on the lentils; legumes are supposed to be a no-go, but lentils and other smaller beans seem to be less problematic.  Just be sure to soak them or better yet, sprout them, and don't eat canned beans (more expensive anyway).

For oil, I ordered coconut oil from Bulk Apothecary and it's pretty affordable that way, if you can manage the up-front cost for bulk.

You might check into Bountiful Baskets or a similar food co-op in your area for produce.

Seek out the best deal on chicken - sometimes it's whole birds, other times it's the drumsticks or quarters.  Sometimes turkeys end up cheaper by the pound, and could keep your family in protein all week.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #913 on: January 20, 2016, 11:05:41 AM »
Mmm, lunch time! This is what a standard lunch/dinner looks like for me, Kindle and clementines included for scale.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #914 on: January 20, 2016, 11:24:20 AM »
That looks super yummy, Philociraptor! :D
My lunch is pretty blah (cooked cabbage anyone? It kinda looks like Yoda's barf...), but that's self inflicted more than anything else. >__> Tonight I'm going to make carrot+sweet potato soup (it's a puree and I add unsweetened almond milk as the creamy bit) and pack that in for lunches the rest of the week. Blah is getting old, so time to add in some delicious. :)

Today is Day 2 for me.
I've been referencing the http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ but I'm not sure how well I'll match up with the goings on reported there. I went through huge lengths of time eating really healthy, followed by smaller lengths of time eating Real Not Healthy. I don't have any daily addictions I'm conquering (no soda, no daily candy bar... etc.), it's the long term ones I'm hunting to kill. *Stares at pre-packaged cookie isle* It knows what it is.
According to the timeline that at least some people go through while on the Whole30 plan, days 2-3 are the "Hangover" days.
I *do* feel tired, but I'm not confident that's diet related (could be hydration, sleep, or the fact that it's Wednesday. Damn it, Wednesday!)

One of the owners of the company asked me why I was eating lawn trimmings (aka my delicious smoothie this morning that was a pretty shade of green from the spinach and kale that I shoved in as its base). I feel like this must mean I'm on the right track. ;)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #915 on: January 20, 2016, 11:25:32 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes and suggestions. We've moved from where we hunted to another area and most folks in these parts don't have the means to share their largess. In fact, a few of them have what are technically very Paleolithic, but extremely questionable health-wise, eating habits... I hope we are never that desperate. I want to tell them that they could eat much less questionably if they hadn't financed their truck but that doesn't go down well. A low cost of living area seemed like a great idea but in retrospect we should have been much more selective. It is possible to get too LCOL (for us, at least before FI). Lesson learned...hope to move relatively soon...

I'll start with my biggest question: does anyone specifically source rice based on low arsenic content? It isn't problematic with a standard American (average) level of consumption but the celiac community I have been part of is concerned since it is such a common, easy, cheap replacement for most wheat products (in most recipes/commercial baked good and to just eat!). Trader Joes has reasonably priced low arsenic rice but that's in the big city (3 hours away). I especially hate to chronically dose the kids with arsenic, even in its less toxic form.

I have stocked up on turkey post holidays. I parse it out as 1 per month and we keep it cooked and frozen in broth for "fast food". We sometimes get chicken cheap at a nearby grocery. We do potatoes too. The rest of the family gets regular (cheap but not "cheese food") cheese but I can't do cow dairy or afford the nice sheep/goat cheese that doesn't make me sick. I wish I could cut back on expensive, processed groceries and replace those with the good stuff. Haven't bought those for years though. Or cut other expenses (cable, haircuts, entertainment, etc.). Zero dollars for those in the budget right now. We pay utilities, mortgage, gas for the cars (45 mile commute...our second or third target is to move to get this down but it's going to take awhile), minimums on debts, and groceries. I have about $100 in slush a month that can be used for groceries but might have to go towards car repairs etc.

I'm going to work on finding ways to prepare lentils that are more palatable (I really don't like most legumes), keep going with the potatoes, figure out how much rice I can be comfortable feeding my family, and just plug along. We can do gluten-free oats (I soak/prepare them a la Nourishing Traditions...also not whole30 but cheap).

An interesting way of looking at it is through an overall budget perspective and how much is your health really worth it for you. If it is a couple extra hours a month, is it worth it to downgrade your cable or phone, entertainment budget or drive less? Now, I know this isn't really helpful for you right now, Mongoose.  But it is is some interesting food for thought.

A lot. Once we get back on our feet (not living partially off our emergency fund), I'm going to loosen the food budget a bit before paying off the last of our credit card debt, before moving to cut down our commute...before anything else. I haven't found a food co-op anywhere nearby yet but will keep looking. I can continue to try to limit the other stuff. And, for now, at least get me off the wheat too. The kids love meat and vegetables. I would really love to encourage that by reverting to whole30/paleo. Hopefully we can get the income up soon.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #916 on: January 20, 2016, 11:48:54 AM »
Mongoose - Have you tried looking at other ethnic traditions for Lentil recipes? Turkish Red lentil Soup is my fave. Also there are lots of Indian Dahls that are very tasty.

RE: Arsenic in Rice: This has been bothering me and a lot of the research doesn't paint a good picture. Apparently Indian Basmati is better than rice grown in the USA, that is what we normally use.

If you are living in a more rural LCOL area, it might be worth it to look at Amazon and some of the other online retailers, especially if they have free shipping. I have had really good luck buying bulk staples from Amazon in the past.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #917 on: January 20, 2016, 12:29:06 PM »
That looks super yummy, Philociraptor! :D
My lunch is pretty blah (cooked cabbage anyone? It kinda looks like Yoda's barf...), but that's self inflicted more than anything else. >__> Tonight I'm going to make carrot+sweet potato soup (it's a puree and I add unsweetened almond milk as the creamy bit) and pack that in for lunches the rest of the week. Blah is getting old, so time to add in some delicious. :)

Today is Day 2 for me.
I've been referencing the http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ but I'm not sure how well I'll match up with the goings on reported there. I went through huge lengths of time eating really healthy, followed by smaller lengths of time eating Real Not Healthy. I don't have any daily addictions I'm conquering (no soda, no daily candy bar... etc.), it's the long term ones I'm hunting to kill. *Stares at pre-packaged cookie isle* It knows what it is.
According to the timeline that at least some people go through while on the Whole30 plan, days 2-3 are the "Hangover" days.
I *do* feel tired, but I'm not confident that's diet related (could be hydration, sleep, or the fact that it's Wednesday. Damn it, Wednesday!)

One of the owners of the company asked me why I was eating lawn trimmings (aka my delicious smoothie this morning that was a pretty shade of green from the spinach and kale that I shoved in as its base). I feel like this must mean I'm on the right track. ;)
For the record, since posting, I have been tempted by:
Molasses cookies the boss brought in.
Leftover sugar cookies from a networking event a co-worker went to.
A chocolate cake.

Treats in the work place suuuuuckkkkkk.
Holding strong.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #918 on: January 20, 2016, 12:48:13 PM »
For the record, since posting, I have been tempted by:
Molasses cookies the boss brought in.
Leftover sugar cookies from a networking event a co-worker went to.
A chocolate cake.

Treats in the work place suuuuuckkkkkk.
Holding strong.
Keep going. One day you will deliberately decide to re taste what was once a treat and spit it out because it is so gross. At least that's what happened when DH and I decided to eat a mass produced chocolate muffin (don't ask...) after two years of not eating anything with preservatives. It was so chemically tasting we gagged...

spuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #919 on: January 20, 2016, 01:42:02 PM »
*waves from across the pond*
Hi, everyone! Long-time lurker but very infrequent poster, but I've read through the entire thread and think it's fantastic the way that you're all helping each other to stay strong in the face of (what feels like) almost constant temptation!
I'm 19 days into my first Whole30, and I'm actually pretty scared of reintroduction. I'm lactose intolerant, so dairy won't be reintroduced, but I've had some awesome benefits so far and don't want to lose them. I was taking at least two antihistamines a day and using a blue inhaler for asthma, which have both stopped dead since changing my diet and which I can't actually believe. I also have consistent energy throughout the day, which is probably my blood sugar stabilising but is really addictive - I can actually do things after work, rather than just collapsing in a heap of tiredness!
I'm just posting to say hello really, and thank you for creating such a welcoming thread :) I'll post back when I've figured out what causes the allergy-type symptoms, in case anyone else gets that too. If you do, and you've already figured it out for you, please do let me know!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #920 on: January 20, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »
WELCOME SPUGGY!!

Way to go on your first Whole 30! I think across the board the struggle most of us have had is with the re-intro. COme to think about it, I got so ill after the wheat/gluten, I never did end up reintroducing beans and legumes! I'll have to do that after this Whole 30 just so I have a base line.

My guess for the allergies is a wheat/gluten...but it might also be a perseverative/pesticide issue as well and those are a lot harder to isolate. As far as the asthma, it could be anything causing inflammation. My mom figures cutting out the wheat/gluten has definitely helped with her asthma.

Feeling good is addictive, isn't it? :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #921 on: January 20, 2016, 03:39:03 PM »
Hi spuggy!

I loved how you said:
I also have consistent energy throughout the day, which is probably my blood sugar stabilising but is really addictive - I can actually do things after work, rather than just collapsing in a heap of tiredness!

I can't believe the energy I have now. I must've really been abusing my poor body with food.

I hope you can figure out the rest of your allergies. I would think that if you go reeeeallllly slow in your reintroduction, you might be able to isolate it. So like maybe for a week, add in oats and nothing else. The rest of your food would be strict Whole30. The second week, as long as oats were ok, add rice to the oats and see how that goes. The third week, add one type of legume, etc, etc. Maybe keep a food journal to track any odd feelings or sensations that arise so you can see patterns developing.

What a neat thing that you're off your puffer! So great! Whole30 rocks!

*waves back to Spuggy from Canada*

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #922 on: January 20, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »
Sorry Orvell, but I didn't like your ginger and soda. I really wanted to like it, and drank 1/2 of it (in a mason jar, no less!) but the other 1/2 went down the drain.

I've been wracking my brain since then trying to think of what else I could add to club soda? I have flavored stevia that I was using, pre-Whole30, but that's obviously out for now. Suggestions, anyone?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #923 on: January 20, 2016, 03:55:30 PM »
Sorry Orvell, but I didn't like your ginger and soda. I really wanted to like it, and drank 1/2 of it (in a mason jar, no less!) but the other 1/2 went down the drain.

I've been wracking my brain since then trying to think of what else I could add to club soda? I have flavored stevia that I was using, pre-Whole30, but that's obviously out for now. Suggestions, anyone?

I usually use a squeeze of lime. When I feel like a treat I toss in a couple of chunks of frozen fruit instead of ice cubes. Berries are good, peaches are good, mango chunks, pineapple, whatever you have

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #924 on: January 20, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »

HA! Sorrrry! I have weird taste buds. :) I love strange things, and I don't begrudge you for not. ;)
Why not just throw in some fruit? Slice up a kiwi or something and chuck it in? Same for, say, a hunk of orange or something else that will permeate liquid well?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #925 on: January 21, 2016, 01:34:38 AM »
4:30pm snack -- before and after photos (before Whole30 and after 3 Whole30's)

Yes, that would be Nutella and graham crackers. After is tuna with Whole30 mayo and celery. I can't believe that's what I chose to eat when I was famished! Thank you, Hartwigs! You've actually changed my life!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #926 on: January 21, 2016, 06:21:44 AM »
Ooooh tuna+Whole30mayo+celery looks yummy! I'll need to add that to my to-make list. :) This weekend it's going to be some cooking and learning... Many of my go-tos aren't Whole30 happy. And I didn't prepare for lunch today, so while I'm getting dressed for work this morning, I'm nuking a a sweet potato, and shoving nuts and spinach into baggies. Not a well prepared lunch, but I'm hoping it'll do. :)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #927 on: January 21, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »
Day 3

So despite my "oh no I'm special" bullshit, yeah. That hangover period that happens to people in the first few days of Whole30? Happening. Yup. For sure.
>.< Last night I drank 2 glasses of water and went to bed a bit after 9 (and subsequently got up to pee...)

It's also strange. A few years ago I did a 36 hour fast, partially to just see if I could do it. I took care of myself, drank lots of good water and tea, and was seriously god damned hungry. But at about dinner time during that fast... I was feeling about how I do now (except now I'm not hungry, lol). I'm not sure how to verbally explain it, but your perception changes a bit. It's partially brain-fog, and partially something else. You feel... lighter. Different.

I know it's my blood sugar having to do a circus act while I restrain myself from eating the cookies set out on the break room table. I know it will balance out as I move forward. But it's... a strange experience.

Did/do you guys feel that too?

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #928 on: January 21, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »
I'm currently trying to get reorganized and need to cook/process food so I have stuff handy when I get hungry and short on time. The only convenient foods I currently have are either wheat or gluten-free items (bread, fruit, home prepared and frozen items) that I reserve for my celiac child. I have not, however, touched any wheat the last couple of days. Other than being a bit hungry (schedule is a bit hectic to prep food except on weekends), I feel a ton better. Anxiety is nearly gone. GI system is much happier. A bit of hunger isn't a big deal to me. I'm quite the skeptic but at this point I have enough data points from wheat/no wheat to determine that it really doesn't work for me. It's so nice to have the wheat options since I can do fast and cheap (make ahead with cheap ingredients and freeze) but so not worth it. Making lentils this pm so I can have some grab and go options. Dreaming of a bigger grocery budget...

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #929 on: January 21, 2016, 12:08:18 PM »
Day 3

So despite my "oh no I'm special" bullshit, yeah. That hangover period that happens to people in the first few days of Whole30? Happening. Yup. For sure.

I think e all think we are special unique snowflakes ;) Our timetable was a little bit off since we planned our first whole 30 to start when we had a week off. That week was pretty good, the second week hit us HARD when we had to go back to work. I'm glad we did it the way we did though, hubby had to work through some digestive issues that wouldn't have been pleasant to deal with at work.

Mongoose - if there is any way you can afford it, coconut oil (costco sometimes has good deals, also online) would, I think, be the best bang for your buck as far as having something healthy and satiating at hand for you. You can melt it and buzz it into hot beverages (I do every morning and keeps me full till (sometimes past) lunch. You can sautee fruit in it for a quick healthy, substantial snack or dessert. Heck you can take a spoonful if you really are in a rush (ick, not my favorite) But I bet it would be a good addition to your diet. Also, if it helps you feel full, you'll eat less at meals and snacks and save a bit of $ that way too.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #930 on: January 21, 2016, 06:20:43 PM »
Coconut oil! :D The Aldi near (ish) me was selling it for 4.95 a jar. I hope there's something near you, Mongoose, with decent prices for it. :) I've only used it for cooking, but now Swick is tempting me with getting creative! :)

Cooking up a big 'ol pan of roasted veggies tonight. Putting away food, I opened my fridge and had an, "oooooooooooooh" moment as I saw my perfect, beautiful, unopened bottle of Kewpie mayonnaise. Which, according to google contains MSG, and according to the back of the package, contains soybean oil, too. Butts! Tell it to me straight, kids. How much work is it to make your own mayo? Cause me and that bottle of Kewpie are having a staring context...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #931 on: January 21, 2016, 07:47:51 PM »
If you have a blender, mayo takes like one minute.  I keep my oil in a sriracha bottle, which is perfect drizzling it into the emulsion at the proper rate.  And there are all the flavor possibilities too... Garlic mayo, basil mayo, Chipotle mayo...

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #932 on: January 21, 2016, 07:58:55 PM »
If you have a blender, mayo takes like one minute.  I keep my oil in a sriracha bottle, which is perfect drizzling it into the emulsion at the proper rate.  And there are all the flavor possibilities too... Garlic mayo, basil mayo, Chipotle mayo...
*SALIVATES*
Is there a particular base recipe you rec?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #933 on: January 21, 2016, 08:05:23 PM »
This is the recipe I use. It's fantastic! Even my non-mayo eaters like it. I use "light" olive oil so that it doesn't taste so strong -- YMMV. I've also used some avocado oil in my most recent batch and it was tasty too. I make it on a Sunday afternoon and it lasts 2 weeks in the fridge. Super easy. Just remember to drizzle slowwwwwly!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:13:31 PM by 1967mama »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #934 on: January 21, 2016, 08:14:28 PM »
*SALIVATES*
Is there a particular base recipe you rec?

I like to make a smaller batch, so I so about 1 generous teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar and pour a little white off of the egg so I use the yolk plus about half the white, then a pinch of salt.  Drizzle olive or avocado oil in while blending g until desired consistency is reached.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #935 on: January 21, 2016, 08:25:36 PM »
WELL GUYS you've just helped me figure out one of my weekend cooking plans. 8D Excited to give this a try... it looks distressingly easy!
Yay!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #936 on: January 22, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »
Orvell - be sure to allow a good three minutes to make your mayo. Yes, it's that easy! :-) What else are you planning on cooking? Whole30 ketchup is equally fantastic to dip your oven baked potato wedges in! Mmmm!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #937 on: January 22, 2016, 06:18:15 AM »
Oh gosh, what else? Idek! I'm def thinking some massive soup making is in the cards; I need to start a better collection of "shit I'm late for work and don't have a lunch plan" stock. :) Freezing soup in flat baggies is a peeeerfect emergency plan.

Day Four
Oh yeah bitches. I'm here.
And I'm tired. That is mostly on me though (stayed up too late, got up early because I wasn't productive in my staying-up-late... side note I'm doing this writing competition that's been a real challenge; a short story is due basically every week...)
Toady's food plan is a smoothie for breakfast (I'm on a roll with these suckers, and I've found adding flax really makes them filling), roasted veggies and a hard boiled egg for lunch, and cashews for emergency fuel snacks. :) Dinner is unknown, but I'm thinking an omelette with a side of sweet potatoes.
Has anyone tried to make hashbrowns with 'em? Is that crazy talk?

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #938 on: January 22, 2016, 06:47:55 AM »
Oh gosh, what else? Idek! I'm def thinking some massive soup making is in the cards; I need to start a better collection of "shit I'm late for work and don't have a lunch plan" stock. :) Freezing soup in flat baggies is a peeeerfect emergency plan.

Day Four
And I'm tired. That is mostly on me though (stayed up too late, got up early because I wasn't productive in my staying-up-late... side note I'm doing this writing competition that's been a real challenge; a short story is due basically every week...)
Toady's food plan is a smoothie for breakfast (I'm on a roll with these suckers, and I've found adding flax really makes them filling), roasted veggies and a hard boiled egg for lunch, and cashews for emergency fuel snacks. :) Dinner is unknown, but I'm thinking an omelette with a side of sweet potatoes.
When i had access to a food processer i had a go-to hasbrown substitute that kicked ass....

Get this: shredded turnips...they seriously did the trick!

I roast sweet potatoes frequently after i cut them into 1" cubes or so...i suppose if you cut them a lot smaller you could roast them to be a bit more crispy....or maybe even roast them first, then finish in a frying pan to crisp them up.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #939 on: January 22, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »

Day Four

I make big batches of Nomnom's Kalua pork: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

Keeps in the fridge for a while, anything I know I am not going to use in the next few days I split into meal size portions for hubby and myself and flat freeze. It has saved my bacon many times.
It can:
 -be pan fried to crisp up and top salads (make some homemade mayo with lime instead of lemon throw in a bunch of chopped cilantro, a bit of cumin and whatever pepper seasoning you want and you have a wicked salad dressing)
 - Pan friend and top some sauteed cabbage (we sautee the cabbage up with some coconut amions and add hot sauce and sesame seeds, sometimes a little leftover broth from the pork) and serve with Kimchi. It's very reminiscent of an Edo Japan Sukiyaki Beef.
 - Added to omelets, scrambled eggs
 - chopped up and added to soups
 - Crisped up in a pan and eaten with our fingers...ew try not to do this too much
 - Crisped and topped baked potatoes or sweet potatoes with salsa

There is a TON you can do with it!

RE: Sleep - You may find your quality of sleep is improved, I was a life-long insomniac that totally sorted itself out. The main thing I have found over the last few months is the two biggest factors in feeling awesome is food and sleep. Once you get your food dialed in, the sleep may follow, but when you screw with the new normal sleep patterns, you tend to really notice it! When doing the whole 30, it is especially important to get enough sleep your body is going through all sorts of cleaning and repairing and a lot of that happens when you sleep.

jordanread

« Reply #940 on: January 22, 2016, 08:12:41 AM »

Day Four

I make big batches of Nomnom's Kalua pork: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

Keeps in the fridge for a while, anything I know I am not going to use in the next few days I split into meal size portions for hubby and myself and flat freeze. It has saved my bacon many times.
It can:
 -be pan fried to crisp up and top salads (make some homemade mayo with lime instead of lemon throw in a bunch of chopped cilantro, a bit of cumin and whatever pepper seasoning you want and you have a wicked salad dressing)
 - Pan friend and top some sauteed cabbage (we sautee the cabbage up with some coconut amions and add hot sauce and sesame seeds, sometimes a little leftover broth from the pork) and serve with Kimchi. It's very reminiscent of an Edo Japan Sukiyaki Beef.
 - Added to omelets, scrambled eggs
 - chopped up and added to soups
 - Crisped up in a pan and eaten with our fingers...ew try not to do this too much
 - Crisped and topped baked potatoes or sweet potatoes with salsa

There is a TON you can do with it!

RE: Sleep - You may find your quality of sleep is improved, I was a life-long insomniac that totally sorted itself out. The main thing I have found over the last few months is the two biggest factors in feeling awesome is food and sleep. Once you get your food dialed in, the sleep may follow, but when you screw with the new normal sleep patterns, you tend to really notice it! When doing the whole 30, it is especially important to get enough sleep your body is going through all sorts of cleaning and repairing and a lot of that happens when you sleep.

I literally just put a roast in the slow cooker using that recipe. I hope that it turns out well. 7lbs barely fit in the slow cooker. :) I start tomorrow!! Should be awesome.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #941 on: January 22, 2016, 09:12:28 AM »
I literally just put a roast in the slow cooker using that recipe. I hope that it turns out well. 7lbs barely fit in the slow cooker. :) I start tomorrow!! Should be awesome.

Lol yeah, I have a large slowcooker and pack it full. I have found it does better with one big roast then two small ones. If you have access to an Asian grocery store, you can get frozen Banana Leaves. I usually cover up and tuck in the pork with a leaf before I put the lid on, it adds some more of that Island flavor. Also, I don't bother with the bacon on the bottom, I just make a run with the Alean salt and smoked Paprika.

Looking forward to hear how yours tuns out and what you do with it!

jordanread

« Reply #942 on: January 22, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »

Lol yeah, I have a large slowcooker and pack it full. I have found it does better with one big roast then two small ones. If you have access to an Asian grocery store, you can get frozen Banana Leaves. I usually cover up and tuck in the pork with a leaf before I put the lid on, it adds some more of that Island flavor. Also, I don't bother with the bacon on the bottom, I just make a run with the Alean salt and smoked Paprika.

Looking forward to hear how yours tuns out and what you do with it!

It started off exactly as I expected. I turned on the Slow Cooker and realized an hour later that I hadn't plugged it in. I had one big bone-in roast, but had to cut it in half so it fit. Too much food is one of my favorite issues to have.

I do a lot of shopping at my local asian market, so the banana leaves may be a good idea. I never could quite figure out what to use them for, but I've thought about it. That being said, when I initially started the Whole30, we used asian eggplants to make baba ganoush, which has got to be one of my favorite Whole30 compliant foods. If you like garlic, and haven't tried this, you totally should. It's probably going to be one of my staples during the next 30 days.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #943 on: January 22, 2016, 11:16:20 AM »
Tell it to me straight, kids. How much work is it to make your own mayo? Cause me and that bottle of Kewpie are having a staring context...

The key to mayo is an immersion blender. None of this drizzling business.  If you read from the beginning of this thread, I was scared to try making mayo too.  Now it's easy peasy.  Make sure your egg is room temp, put all your ingredients into a container that's just large enough for the immersion blender (like your Ball jars). Put in all your ingredients and put the blender to the VERY bottom.  Turn is on and let it sit at the bottom until you starting seeing white (THE MAYO) then slowly pull the blend up.

Works. every. time.  There are videos on the web too if you're more visual.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #944 on: January 22, 2016, 11:59:22 AM »
Tell it to me straight, kids. How much work is it to make your own mayo? Cause me and that bottle of Kewpie are having a staring context...

The key to mayo is an immersion blender. None of this drizzling business.  If you read from the beginning of this thread, I was scared to try making mayo too.  Now it's easy peasy.  Make sure your egg is room temp, put all your ingredients into a container that's just large enough for the immersion blender (like your Ball jars). Put in all your ingredients and put the blender to the VERY bottom.  Turn is on and let it sit at the bottom until you starting seeing white (THE MAYO) then slowly pull the blend up.

Works. every. time.  There are videos on the web too if you're more visual.
*Cackles* I have precious little in the way of kitchen gadgets, but I have an immersion blender. Yessssss.
Going to hit the store on my way home and pick up light olive oil (didn't even know this existed, and it seems important) and mustard powder. It's gonna be go timeeeeee.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #945 on: January 22, 2016, 12:06:17 PM »
I have a food processor so have always done it that way. I do have an immersion stick blender thingy that I received as a gift. Maybe I should try it???? Living on the edge here!!!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #946 on: January 22, 2016, 12:12:36 PM »
I have a food processor so have always done it that way. I do have an immersion stick blender thingy that I received as a gift. Maybe I should try it???? Living on the edge here!!!

Ohh if ya'll are just getting into immersion blended mayo...I probably shouldn't mention the life-changing nirvana that is Blender Hollandaise...

Thanks for the reminder Jordanread, I have forgotten about  baba ganoush, I keep meaning to make it (it is one of my favorites) every time I plan on making it I end up roasting the eggplant and using it for something else. This is on my list for the weekend!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #947 on: January 22, 2016, 12:18:47 PM »
Baba ganoush --- could someone share a whole30 compliant recipe you love for this?

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #948 on: January 22, 2016, 12:45:42 PM »
Baba ganoush --- could someone share a whole30 compliant recipe you love for this?

I think as it is it should be Whole 30 Complaint? There are some good looking recipes here:http://whole30.com/2014/10/best-whole30-recipes-sauces-dressings-dips-oh/

and here:
http://meljoulwan.com/2009/07/17/eat-your-vegetables-eggplant/

Honestly, I have never used a recipe and kinda just go by taste. I use to make it all the time (I learned how in Turkey) but it has fallen off my rader since it is kinda hard to find decent eggplant around here.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #949 on: January 22, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
I'd love to use coconut oil but I'm a bit afraid of it. When I did whole30 the last time I tried cooking with it and kept getting a weird tingling sensation in my mouth and lips. I don't seem to be allergic to flaked coconut and the flour gave a similar reaction to the oil but less intense. So, not wanting to tempt anaphylaxis, I haven't eaten it since. I'm not sure about trying it again or perhaps a different brand. :-(