Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427599 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Whole-30 Started as a challange, now an awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #800 on: December 23, 2015, 01:24:42 AM »
Thank you so very much to everyone who has taken the time to post ideas and encouragement for me --- most appreciated.

This truly is The Season of Insanity. I'm faced with challenging choices related to sugar Every. Single. Day. and can't wait for it to be over. I LOVE Christmas, I really do. The lights, the tree, the presents, the candlelit church services, the music. And the food. I'm totally realizing how much of Christmas is tied up in food. Ugh!

Today, I made candy cane bark for all the neighbours and though I admit to a few samples, I got it onto plates and covered it with plastic wrap lickety-split to get it out of here and to make my kitchen safe again.

I've been pondering my sugar addiction these last few days and wondered if reintroducing a little cheese might help keep me off of sugar and add a little variety and excitement to my diet.  I had a small piece of colby at lunch and a little tex-mex cheese mix on my fajita salad tonight (kids had fajitas in burrito shells). I've felt a little bloated all evening, but I"m not sure if its the onions or the cheese. I will continue to experiment with cheese unless I have an adverse physical reaction.

I have been more physically active these last few days with running around to stores, doing a massive $600 grocery shop to get us through from now till Christmas dinner (it costs quite a bit to feed my big crew). I'm hoping that will keep my weight at least static and not going back up.

Many good food choices were made today:

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 1/2 cup spinach, refried potatoes from last night, 1 large italian sausage from my emergency stash (as per Faraday's recommendation).
Lunch - carrot salad, 1 slice of ham, small piece of cheese
Dinner - plate of romaine, chicken breast, onions, peppers, olive oil
Snacks - raspberries and coconut cream, herbal tea, water

I would love to make it through a whole day, this Christmas week, where I don't eat a single piece of crap food. I wish I hated baking!!

When I reread what I ate today, I don't feel so bad. But I also don't want to become complacent where I get to the point where I'm eating a little of this crap, or a little of that crap every freaking day!!!!!!!

How is everyone else surviving The Season of Insanity????

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #801 on: December 23, 2015, 07:38:19 AM »
So I am finally doing this. Day 1 is today. It was supposed to be Dec 25th but my long scheduled lunch for Dec 24th got cancelled so I am starting early. It will be nice having most of the initial phase over a long weekend but since we have been easing into this, I suspect we shouldn't see the worst of the starting side effects. I will let you guys know how it goes.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #802 on: December 23, 2015, 08:07:31 AM »
WAHOO Caoineag! Way to go with beginning this time of year, totally bad ass :) Please keep us posted and check in whenever you need to!

Great update, 1967mama, it's good to acknowledge our successes while we realize the things we need to change and work on too :)

1967mama - I get what you are saying about the baking and cooking for others. We have been in a similar boat, and it has brought up a lot of moral questions for us. We had decided we were going to do a totally homemade Christmas this year (way before Whole 30), and it should have been very easy for us because making food treats is so easy and so appreciated. Enter Whole 30.... after finding out how bad for you some of these ingredients are, we just didn't feel right making them for our families (especially those with a history of cancer) It feels a little hypocritical and now that we know it is, essentially, poison, we have an obligation to do things differently. Sure they are still going to eat it, but we don't have to be the ones providing it. It has added a wee bit of stress this year; we'll have more time next year!

*Now we aren't perfect, and it is definitely a process, and we are gifting the homemade/homegrown apple port we have been lovingly tending for the last five years.

My "Season of Insanity" other then the two Christmas parties we went to really starts today. Going back home for Christmas. I'll be staying with the dog at my parents house. Hubs will stay at his parents house (which is like a 10 min walk away) I'm getting off easy as far as the food and temptations will go. It'll be around, but a background note, at my parents house. It'll be front and center at his parents.

Strategies
 - My mom has made a big pot of complaint chili to have the in the fridge anyone can grab when they need it.

- Sending Hubby with some homemade, unsweetened apple sauce for his breakfasts or when everyone is eating sweets if there is nothing else he can eat. He'll come down to my parents house for as many meals as he can.

- We traditionally do Christmas Eve Appetizers at my parents house. Much bigger focus this year on healthy and compliant.  I'll make my chicken wings. It's an easy appy that everyone will love.

- Decide before hand what we are willing to eat, so the decisions have already been made, especially with "treat" foods - and then really enjoy them consciously and in very small portions!

- Ask family to respect our first "no" if we say we don't want something (this is big, because it is such a habit for people, even the educated ones!) and each time they ask we have to remake the decision and that takes some of our limited reserve of willpower...speaking of...

- Willpower is a finite resource. Anytime we can remove ourselves from a situation or remove the temptation, so we don't have to make a decision; we will.

- Communicate clearly. Some members of our family are trying really hard to be accommodating - so having the conversations of if/when/how much is great to do ahead of time. My sister called and asked if she made our family's traditional Christmas cookies with Einkorn and honey if I would want to try some. I said I appreciated the thought, but don't want to risk it.

She then asked if I wanted a special version of her homemade Hot Toddy mix on hand - which is ususally awesome healthy fats, spices, and coconut sugar. I asked for a non-sweetened version. She was totally down with that :) That way if I want a little bit of honey in it (big if!) I can add it myself.

How is everyone else doing? What strategies are you all using to combat the "Season of Insanity"?

Also - I just want to say I appreciate every one of you for joining me on this journey, and I wish all of you a very Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #803 on: December 23, 2015, 08:54:40 AM »
Faraday, don't make me blush.  An Imperial anything is usually pretty good, but needs to be handled with care.  We have a new one picked out for Christmas.

1967 - Have you experimented with non-compliant whole foods and/or natural sweeteners, or have your forays into sugar just been of the fudge variety?  Are you thinking of reintroducing any legumes or rice to your diet?  I ask because I've started using a bit of honey and maple syrup, and also eating a few legumes (and cheese/yogurt) and the variety goes a long way for me without triggering cravings like processed stuff and refined sugar does.  It might be worth experimenting with some of these things and seeing if they can add some flexibility to your diet without derailing you the way fudge does.

Caoineag, congrats on Day 1, looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Swick, sounds like you have an awesome plan in place and are set up for success.  I hear you on giving gifts of food.  DH had to buy a white elephant gift for his office party last night, and was looking at boxes of chocolates and the like.  It was kind of turning my stomach thinking of heaping more sugar on people who are clearly overconsuming year-round, and now especially (far as I can tell, 90% of his co-workers have terrible eating habits).  He eventually went for a non-food gift.  So glad we don't do that sort of thing in my office.

Dog help us, we are having pie and ice cream for Christmas.  Apple and pecan pies, homemade, but hopefully after a good dinner of pot roast, mashed potatoes and Brussel's sprouts we won't go too crazy on the pie.  I'm feeling like I'm in a good spot right now where the random junk food is nearly eliminated, and the worthwhile treats are occasional enough to be reasonable.  Yesterday I had one small cookie and piece of fudge a co-worker brought in, since they were homemade.  Enjoyed them with my coffee, but was not preoccupied with going back for another and enjoyed the pea soup I brought for lunch. 

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #804 on: December 23, 2015, 11:01:45 AM »
Hi everyone, it is hot here and I'm actually not that hungry. It is a crazy hangover from times of old that we still eat roast dinner, hot fruit pudding and custard despite the scorching temperatures. I have manipulated our menu so there are compliant foods aplenty but will follow Faraday's cheat instructions to enjoy a small fruit mince pie and a piece of pavlova. In the past I have been one for guilty treat scoffing, inhaling food so fast that I barely taste it. So slowing down and really enjoying it will be a revelation. I'm also getting good amounts of exercise.  Today I'm taking the kids to the pool so we will play tag in the water which is truly exhausting. My focus for Christmas Day is to minimize the food component and up the family time. Rather than hole up in the kitchen on the day, I am doing lots of advance prep so I can be I involved with the kids and enjoy watching them play with their new toys rather than sitting in the kitchen nibbling. I feel a bit like we're in the trenches if war, ready to go over the top. Best of luck everyone! Happy holidays and hugs, KS.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #805 on: December 23, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »

If your weakness is Doritos then never, ever try eating them with cream cheese. You will wake up with an empty bag and a new addiction.

*reformed Doritos and cream cheese addict.
[/quote]

Haha and NOTED!:)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #806 on: December 24, 2015, 10:41:27 PM »
Merry Christmas everyone! As the first to complete the feasting, I feel obliged to report. A lovely day had here with my family. On the plus side I decided my treats in advance and pretty much stuck to the plan. I got exercise - a big water fight with the kids (with giant water pistols -was so much fun. Played frisbee and cricket in the park for a good hour between main course and dessert. And now that the festivities are over I have come home and had a session on my dad's rowing machine and preparing to go for a long evening walk after the kids are in bed. My mum served almond croissants for breakfast which I enjoyed much less than I thought I would. This was at 7 and I didn't eat again until lunch at 1pm. Had cold meats, salads and vege dishes.  Dessert was always going to be my splurge and it was but I didn't enjoy it as much as previous years. I offered to drive so was sober and in control of my food choices. I think I ate about a third less than last year and feel better for it. The exercise definitely helped.  I left all the leftovers at the hosts and am really looking forward to getting back to my usual healthy eating tomorrow.  Christmas done for another year. Best wishes to you all. Ks

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #807 on: December 25, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »
Awesome work, Sonya!

I always do a double-take thinking about having Christmas when it's hot.  It snowed here yesterday, so we're having a white Christmas, but there's not really enough to make a snowman, much less go sledding.

I made chili with beef and black beans last night.  Beans seem to be fine. 

Then for some reason I ate 3 of the little tiny Milky Way Dark candies that have been in the cupboard since Halloween.  They tasted waxy and overly sweet; not nearly chocolaty enough.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #808 on: December 25, 2015, 09:24:36 AM »
Day 3 check in. Hubby and I haven't had the hangover effect but, as I mentioned before, we spent the last 2 months prepping for this so not too surprising. I have a Moroccan cookbook that I am testing a bunch of recipes out of today, including a roasted beet dish, creamed greens (olive oil and lemon juice) and chicken smothered in olives with lemon juice. All are compliant naturally, no need to modify. I will roast some carrots as well. For us, keeping a variety of dishes available will be the key to success because I don't tolerate a lack of variety. I am hoping to avoid restaurants for the duration of this challenge because I am using this as an elimination and restaurants add all sorts of ingredients I prefer to avoid. So it should do wonders for our food budget as I cook from scratch which is really cheap.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #809 on: December 27, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »
Hope everyone is having an amazing holiday season!

It has been an enlightening one for us. I've felt very much like an sociologist observing and studying people's food habits/comments and beliefs. It was very interesting to observe our habits and seeing what our old habits use to be like living out in other people. 

Despite the extravagance of sweets and snack foods available I had one little sugar plum over the three days of events, we have had so far. It was just dried fruit and walnuts, rolled in coconut, so I thought that was pretty good.  I decided my one thing that I was going to to really consciously enjoy was a glass of egg nog. So last night a poured an inch in a glass, cut it with an inch of milk and really enjoyed it...

Until less than an hour later when I was violently sick. I've had food poisoning before (this wasn't it) it was like my body had an invader and it's only concern was getting it out of my system as fast as possible. I don't know if it was the HFCS or the artificial flavorings or what it was in the egg nog but my body was NOT having it! Luckily it was only about a 1/2 hour or so of yuckiness and I was back to normal - well, weak kitten, freezing cold, shaking normal :) I'm just rather glad I was at my parents house instead of at my Hubby's parents!

This whole year seemed more relaxed, though, we got less "stuff" and far less junk food than usual. Our homemade gifts seemed to go over really well, which we are pretty excited about.

It was also a year of new traditions since most of my family's traditions revolve around food, we tried a few new things this year. Overall, all the substitutions or new things we tried to replace the old ones went over really well and even those who are ver tied to tradition liked the idea of creating some new ones!

We have two more Christmas parties to make it through, and then life will be back to our new normal. Loveing the family time, but looking forward to getting back in the groove:)

How is everyone doing?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: December 27, 2015, 01:01:33 PM »
Hi Swick and all!

Christmas was unfortunately a 48 hour orgy of horrible pre-whole30 eating for me. From the evening of the 24th to the evening of the 26th, I ate like a gross pig and was so disappointed in myself. I thought I had learned, during my whole60 how to eat great and feel great. Instead I felt bloated and my tummy sounded like something out of Alien:-( I think the saddest, most telling part of the 48 hour food fest was that I didn't even care. I wanted to eat the sweets and appetizers and chips and crap and didn't even care how I felt or whether or not it mattered.

Fast forward to late afternoon on Boxing Day (the 26th) and I have a shower and have an ah-ha moment. So I made a decision that I would give myself from that moment to the morning of January 1st to snap back to Whole30ish with no grains, no dairy, no sugar except trace amounts in ketchup and such. Basically Whole30 with a little tiny bit of freedom.

So far, from that moment yesterday afternoon, I've had a 100% success rate. I DON'T want to go back there! I still have over 50 pounds to go to get to my ideal weight. I'm still in the "obese" category on the BMI scale. I'm still in a size 14.  So yeah, NOT DONE!

Looking forward to hearing how others coped/didn't cope with the Christmas season. I'm so glad I have this safe place to report in.

Ironically, while my son is here watching a football game (on an HD antenna, of course!) there was a new Weight Watchers ad featuring Oprah and I immediately thought "Oh brother! It sure didn't work for me!"  Nothing has ever worked for me except Whole30!

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #811 on: December 27, 2015, 03:30:03 PM »
Day 5 check in. No grumpiness for either of hubby or I, thank goodness. The one thing we miss is using the scale to check our progress. I am used to using it to evaluate the effect food has on my body so right now I have to take it on faith that I am not gaining weight and just console myself with the fact that my pants are getting looser (and boy are they getting looser, the incredible shrinking dimensions finally made it to my thighs, hips and waist, hooray!). The previous 2 months had seen a loss of 10 pounds so having a month with no scale will be a little disheartening. Meanwhile both of us are still upping our exercise and making a lot of progress on that. We will have 4 days of work starting Monday and then another 3 day weekend so we picked a really good time for us to do the challenge. No restaurants means meal planning needs to be excessive as dinner needs to be quick and easy.

My sympathies for anyone trying to be remotely faithful to this while visiting family though. Neither side of our families would be a safe one for us to visit while doing this. They both rely heavily on wheat and dairy. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #812 on: December 27, 2015, 04:31:38 PM »
Swick and Caoineag, awesome job. I went from a B grade at my parents to a D grade at MiLs. I thought I would be fine because she is supposed to be doing Whole30. But unfortunately her house is awash with xmas leftovers because she hosted a large family gathering and isn't eating any of the rubbish so it is just sitting there. There was hardly any compliant food in the house and I suspect mil thinks that as long as a food doesn't taste obviously sweet it's ok. In a couple of hours she ate 4 things that aren't allowed.  I pulled her up on one but then decided for sake of harmony to let it go. She is eating better rhan before and has lost some weight so that's a good outcome regardless of following the rules.  But I need to restart whole30 and get rid of the shit that fills the cupboard and fridge. I politely asked if we could give away the non compliant food to family but she didn't seem keen. We are having lots.of family gatherings so I will take the crap to offload as fast as possible.  Anyone got any other ideas? I was tempted to smuggle the amount might otherwise eat into the bin with the wrapping paper. This is a tough time.  Kia kaha (stay strong in Maori, our indigenous language).

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #813 on: December 27, 2015, 06:51:56 PM »
Ok, situation partly remedied by a splurge at a posh grocery store. $100 worth of the best meat, fruit and vege that money can buy has made the home baking seem much less appealing.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #814 on: December 27, 2015, 07:40:47 PM »
ks, what a great solution to the food problem! We did a version of that yesterday and went out and spent $100 on yummy fruit like pineapples, oranges and 2 small boxes of raspberries, 4 packages of chicken thighs that we had tonight (large family) and some kombucha. It really helped me get over the junk food that still resides in my home during the Season of Insanity.

I have now been eating great for 24 hours, and let me tell ya Bob, I feel great! No more stomach upset, no more fog, oh man .. what was I thinking??!!

ETA: My parents gave me (and my hubs) a Fitbit for Christmas. I'm excited t start tracking tomorrow. Bet I'm no where near 10,000 steps a day. I respond well to this kind of motivation and challenge and I think getting moving will help speed things along in the health department for me! Yay!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:37:14 PM by 1967mama »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #815 on: December 28, 2015, 08:05:41 AM »
Hi Everyone!

One more party down, only one to go!

1967mama - I think it is important to have one or two of those episodes where you experience and remind yourself "why" you are choosing to eat the way you are. There is nothing like a little negative reinforcement to get you back on track :)

It is definitly odd not having that "food hangover" I honestly don't think I could have coped with all our Christmas commitments this year if I had been eating the way I use to. I get sick every single year, it's a tradition. Part of it is I don't give myself enough down time to recharge (I'm really rather introverted) and I tend to medicate or distract myself in social situations with food and drink. You know, if you have something in your hand or mouth, you have a safty blanket!

But things have been going remarkably well this year. I went to two large events and didn't drink a drop, or really go off plan, except a small bit of dairy. Actually, one of my sisters co-workers, who I didn't have a chance to chat with at the party but have known forever commented to my sister afterwards that she didn't recognize me, except I was with my sister! That was pretty cool. I look at myself in the mirror and I don't recognize me either :)

KiwiSonya - Good idea going to the store and grabbing some healthy stuff! It sounds like the situation with MIL was not ideal. I can kind of understand the unwillingness to just "get rid" of the food that is not good for you. Especially coming from the mustacian/saving/not wanting to waste background. I have to keep checking myself. It doesn't matter that it was free, or we paid good money for something, or it is cheaper to eat that way. Those are hard mindsets to get out of - I still stuggle with them all.the.time. And if she is kinda following Whole 30 but not really getting the intent and reasons "why" she is doing it, I imagine it would be difficult. Does your MIL have any other support systems? It might be something to "Team up" and do together n the new year!

Caoineag - Way to go on your Day 5! If you haven't taken measurements, definitly do! That is probabaly the one thing I didn't do that I really wish I had, I have absolutly no idea how much I have lost in inches. Would probabaly be even more motivated, if I knew. My mom made my wedding dress in 2013, and that was probabaly about my heaviest, so I am planning on comparing to that ince I get them.

Staying true to the whole 30 program and eating out is almost impossible. When we were actually on our original 30 days, I think we went out twice (to my parents, who actually made some stuff out of the whole 30 cookbook) Every other social obligation we either joined afterwards, re-jigged to not involve a meal, or said no to.

It can be super frustrating, doing this style of eating outside of the house, even when you have the best-laid plans. On the 23rd we went to an Italian restaurant which is tradition for Hubby's family. This is old-school spaghetti and meatballs. I emailed and asked about Gluten-Free options. Found out the meatballs are coated in bread crumbs (bummer, they are the only thing I really like there) but was told no worries they have lots of other options.

Double checked again when I made the reservation and was told not a problem the server would take care of me. Well, we get there and I am told the only other thing I can eat is Rice pasta, but it will take an extra 1/2 hour to cook. They were out of steak, don't really have any other veggies than roasted potatos and iceberg lettuce. Took a quick look at the menue, the only thng I could find that wasn't horribe was polenta. So I ordered that, really I would have perferred not to eat but that wasn't an option with Hubby's grandmother there.  It was pretty bad, I needed to top it with cheese to get it down. I had a crappy night sleep becuase I was congested from the cheese I didn't enjoy eating. And to add insult to ingury, they charged 14.95 for a tiny dish of polenta with a skiff of sauce, no sides, no other food on the plate.  50 cents of cornmeal. Bah! The mustachian whole 30'er in me was outraged.

But we did a groccery shop on our way up and then cooked some sausages when we got to my parent's house that we kept in the fridge. We also took some roasted sweet potatoes with us. Those saved the day quite a few times.  Aslo, coconut buzzed coffee, making sure to start the morning with that made saying no to all the treats that much easier.

My sister did make us a jar of lego brick shaped gummy candies for Christmas and I have been happily nothing on those whenever I get the urge to have a treat. She made them witha bit of fruit juice, coconut milk and gelatin, so no sugar or other nasties to worry about and all the good stuff in the gelatin :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #816 on: December 28, 2015, 10:27:25 AM »
Great to hear everyone's updates!

Swick, that restaurant experience sounds really annoying.  There's an Italian restaurant here that we were thinking of checking out.  I was looking at the menu online and many of the appetizers were denoted as GF, but were served with bread.  WTF?  It seems really irresponsible to claim that something is gluten free when it's clear that they're making no efforts not to cross-contaminate.  They make their pasta in-house, so there's going to be wheat flour flying all over that kitchen. I couldn't imagine being celiac or otherwise extremely sensitive and having to try to eat at restaurants.

We actually haven't gone out to eat since before W30 in early November.  Once since then husband picked up burritos - I just got a carnitas burrito and turned the contents out into a bowl and threw away the tortilla, but obviously that wouldn't fly with someone who really needs to stay gluten free.

Anyway, we had our little Christmas pie extravaganza and we're both totally over it.  TMI, but we've both been really gassy and last night DH said "yeah, it's probably the sugar."  He's going on another ski trip tomorrow, and said he wants to re-start W30 when he gets back.  Of course he's not strictly eliminating much of anything in what he thinks of as W30, but if it means he's not bringing beer, chips and icecream into the house for a month, I'm happy.  I'll see if he wants to put the book in his Kindle before he leaves so he can get a better understanding of the process.  I have to start traveling for work again in February, so I may as well eat clean until I'm sucked into the morass of traveling with coworkers, but will probably keep cheese, white rice and Friday/Saturday red wine in the rotation, so I'm not calling it W30 from here out. 

After my gloating over not getting sick... yeah, I got sick and have been taking forever to get back to normal.  I haven't been too bad, but it's been a little hard to find motivation to eat properly when I just end up feeling like garbage anyway.  Hopefully that's my one bad cold for the year and I'm done.  I've signed up for the 2016 Strength and Fitness gauntlet, so I need to start hitting the gym seriously again soon.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #817 on: December 28, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »
Hi everyone. Swick, you sound like you are doing a great job navigating the holidays.  Your restaurant experience sounds frustrating.  I have been dodging invites and it has worked so far. 1967mama, yay for the fitbit, can't wait to hear your progress. I wore a pedometer for a few months a while back and found myself jogging on the spot at bedtime to get to 10,000. Since the holidays started and sugar gas crept back into my diet I have developed stiffness in my mid and upper back - like I hiked with a heavy pack yesterday, or did 1000 press ups, except I didn't. Sounds a bit weird but I kinda welcome some negative consequences to help me get back on track. Yesterday was much better but I still need to avoid the huge Christmas cake whispering to me from the kitchen. Might try some visualization suggested by Faraday - being offered it and saying no thanks, and seeing it but not taking any. I wonder if throwing a cloth over the tin might help - out of sight, out of mind and all that. Take care everyone. Ks

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #818 on: December 28, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
Thanks Swick. I actually had managed a measurement before it started to come off my waist and hips and then after so I have managed 1 inch from the waist and 2 from the hips which is very recent. I actually lost at my ankles of all places first and then it worked its way up. I didn't measure my legs but didn't need to. I have a variety of sized pants and a pair of winter boots that come half way up the calf that illustrated the progress there. I still need to lose about 30 lbs to get back to what I weighed before the desk job but have no idea what the final number will be. I actually started all this as just wanting to be the healthiest version of me I could be no matter my weight but once I gave up the diet soda and started the stair climbing, the weight started falling off.

Day 6 and while my energy levels aren't great, they were actually worse one of the weeks before we started the 100% compliance. In the past 2 months, we have come pretty close as we didn't want cravings or energy levels to derail us once we started the real thing. After all, by the time you finish reintroducing food, this is definitely not even close to just one month and I can't imagine anything worse than messing up the re-intro phase and having to start over to actually figure out your food issues. *Shudders*

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #819 on: December 28, 2015, 08:23:16 PM »
Welcome Caoineag! It's fun to see more people joining the thread. Sounds like you are off to a great start!

I'm back from another frustrating visit to my parents over Christmas.  One morning my dad commented how I looked like I needed more sleep (and this was at 8 am).  I said no...this is just what I look like after eating sugar.  It was a terrible 3 days of eating, so much so, that I decided to leave a day early and get back home where I could control my food.  The last two days haven't been perfect, but much better. Today I went with no sugar and I feel like I'm not walking in my sleep any more. 

Tomorrow will be even more on plan, and then I'll be 100% back to Whole30 on January 1.  I may even start earlier if I get my shit together.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #820 on: December 29, 2015, 11:44:09 AM »
mom22boys - I'll join you in January for another round, Anyone else in?

Hubby, rather tongue in cheek, said he couldn't do another round in January, because he won't be finished his Christmas goodies yet. (I think) he was joking.

I'm super proud of him, he had some indulgences, but did it mindfully, selectively and really enjoyed them. I think it is somewhat easier for me because I have to make many less decisions as everything with wheat/gluten is an automatic out for me. He set some awesome boundaries with his family and stuck to them and didn;t bow to pressure, and ended up not sounding like an ass about it, so It's a win :)

I am really happy to have all the events (except NewYears) over with! While I coped much better this year, I think we still have too many events going on and not enough down time, except they are all family events, and we have some time to make up now that we live closer, so not sure what to do about that.

Sounds like you are doing AWESOME Caoineag! I totally hear you about not wanting to be derailed especially during the re-intro phase. I do think that is a much longer than 30-day process to do it right, and if there is any weakness int he Whole 30 program, it is how to handle the re-intro.

I still haven't re-introduced everything after my Whole 30 in Sept. I never got around to trying oatmeal or some of the other grains and legumes. I had quite noticeable reactions with the wheat and dairy, and kinda just stopped there. Since I know how those affect me, I'll probably finish the rest of the re-intro after my second round. In between I have been eating mostly on plan except for a little bit of rice and dairy when I am out of the house and the occasional trace sugar. I would like to test out how sensitive I am to the gluten, but I need a solid block of time to feel like crap in order to do that.

Anyone have any new and exciting Whole 30 Recipes to share?

Horsepoor - Hope you are feeling better! I hear what you're saying about the restaurants and GF, the other side of it I have noticed is thing WOULD be GF if something they served it with was just left off the plate. It would be nice to know that too :) Nothing like having to ask a million questions to a server in a rush on a busy night!

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #821 on: December 29, 2015, 07:46:18 PM »
Agreed on the re-intro. I am doing this as a true elimination diet which means I will be doing a real re-introduction and will not rush it. Needless to say, re-intro will be longer then the Whole 30 itself. *sigh*

My big issue I am trying to address with this is my Rosacea. Long story short, this diet is one of the many ways I am attempting to chase it back into remission which is where I had it for the past decade but its not spreading anymore and the areas affected are shrinking so I think I am on the right path.

Oh and Day 7 and energy levels are just fine. Saturday and Monday were my bad days of trying to work out and not really having the strength for it, no issues today.

As to recipes, I have a ton (I am a cook from scratch sort of gal). Do you like Moroccan? Because a quarter of my new cookbook is Whole 30 compatible. Did you want meat or veggie dishes? The latest things I have randomly tried is chicken smothered with olives, a frenched rack of lamb (not morrocan, but very tasty), very slow roasted beets (roll in kosher salt, wrap tightly in aluminum foil and cook for 2 hours at 325, you can sprinkle lemon juice and cinnamon on them or nothing at all), quick roasted carrots (slice them, coat them in ghee and a little seasoning and roast at 450 for 15 minutes), creamed spinach (creamed with olive oil and tender thanks to steaming rather than pan frying), etc. Though if you prefer something more mainstream http://www.health-bent.com/beef/paleo-unrolled-cabbage-casserole this recipe I can vouch is very tasty and a bunch of her other recipes are either safe or easily adapted.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #822 on: December 29, 2015, 09:35:26 PM »
Awesome, Caoineag, we can always do with more cooks on here. The chicken and olives sounds awesome.  I'm in New Zealand so wanting to eat summery salads and bbq meats at the moment. Will be interesting to see how your rosacea goes. We have all noticed improved skin on whole30 so hope it works for you. I have found a weird but successful trick for managing my pollen allergies. My sister suggested it and it works! It is applying sticky lip gloss (I used Blistex) around and a bit inside my nostrils first thing in the morning.  Apparently the pollen gets stuck on the lip gloss and doesn't go up your nose. Who knew? Am coping without my usual double medication with this trick alone! Eating has been ok but I am still living in a candy shop which is making life more stressful than I'd like.   I'd love to be able to head home but it's not just my call. Good on you for making the call mum22boys. I fear I would be accused of ruining our summer holiday and I don't want to go there. But it is exhausting trying to make good choices when surrounded by bad choices. But I'll just keep on trying. Hope all is well with everyone.ks

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #823 on: December 30, 2015, 07:46:27 AM »
KiwiSonya try a parsley salad if you have access to a kitchen, its just curly parsley, onions, tomatoes, and green bell peppers chopped up together with some seasoning, lemon juice and olive oil. It makes a really tasty side dish and holds up for quite a few days (flat leaf parsley would wilt but curly holds up very well). Also doesn't require heating the house. You can also make a vegetable salad with raw veggies of your choice covered in a homemade Italian dressing. The oil and vinegar in the dressing keeps the veggies crunchy for quite a few days (I use olives, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers and tomatoes in mine). The Italian dressing would have to be homemade though because anything bought would have soybean oil and Parmesan cheese in it.

In my household we like to have a bunch of side dishes to choose from so that we can mix and match. Keeps food boredom away.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #824 on: December 30, 2015, 11:13:51 AM »
Great tips and recipes Caoineag!

I love the idea of going Moroccan. We broke out our Ethnic cookbooks the first Whole 30 and ended up cooking a lot of Thai since a lot of it is coconut milk based for curries and such. 

Now that I have a freezer full of lamb, I'm looking forward to some Middle Eastern Recipes. I have some preserved lemons that I made six or so years ago. Chopped up preserved lemon adds an AWESOME flavour to salad dressings too!

This thread has gotten pretty long, I am wondering if there is any interest in starting a "Whole 30 Recipe" google Doc we can all add to? That way everything is all in one place.

How is everyone else doing? Anyone have some goals and plans for healthy eating and being the best versions of themselves next year? (I hate New Years Resolutions) but having a plan is always good!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #825 on: December 30, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
Oh yum yum yum, thanks Caoineag. That sounds delicious,  I'm going to make some parsley salad today. It has just dawned the 31 of Dec so tomorrow will be the start of my next Whole30. Yes, I am still in Xmas cake hell but I am hoping it will be easier to resist as I just can't have it. I found it quite easy to be black and white about food last time. I'm going to revisit my fancy food store and stock up with delicious provisions to help me start with a bang. It is going to be tricky while we are still on holiday but will use those food lists from when you guys were travelling for work to keep me going. Starting the day with a good old omelet and some blueberries - yum. Have a great day everyone.  Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #826 on: December 31, 2015, 08:33:09 AM »
Happy New Years Everyone!

I'm super excited for 2016 it seems like 2015 has all about laying foundations getting health back on track. I wouldn't recognize myself if I had seen future me this time last year.

So as a few of us are starting another round of Whole 30 starting January, I thought it might be useful to put together a list of our "Must Have" ingredients.

Mine are:

Coconut Oil
Coconut Milk
Coconut Amino's
Coconut Flakes (hmm seeing a pattern)
Pork Butt Roasts (for Nom Nom Paleo's Khalua Pork)
Cabbage
Kimchi (We didn't have any last time, since the stuff I made wasn't compliant, we really, really missed it so I have adapted my recipe. Without being able to have yogurt, I think the probiotics are important)
Sweet Potatoes (I'll try and do a bit of a lower carb version of Whole 30, but hubs will definitely need them)
Fully stocked veggies - I have found "what"" isn't as important is having enough and a variety.
Variety of Ground Meats - Planning sometimes doesnt happen and ground meats + sauteed veg can always make an emergency meal.

Oh, and because I am putting off work, how about a top 10 list? My top 10 positive results from doing Whole 30 (in no particular order):

1. No more Fibro Symptoms
2. Realizing I can, in fact, breath through my nose
3. Closer relationships with my husband and my family as a result of doing this together
4. More self-confidence and assertiveness
5. No more Insomnia
6. All of my baselines for health, wellness, energy, mental clarity have gone up
7. My relationship with food has changed entirely
8. Knowing I can change a lifetime of ingrained, conditioned dietary habits in 30 days gets me excited and secure in knowing I can change any area of my life that I want to.
9. The physical lightness of not carrying around the extra 40 pounds is pretty good :)
10. I feel so fortunate to have spent the 4 months (has it only been that long?) with an incredible, supportive group of people who have been making major changes and sharing the journey with me. Thank you all! I think a large part of my success has been having this thread and all of you to share with. You all rock!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #827 on: December 31, 2015, 09:08:20 AM »
Great list!

I'll just add, eggs, eggs and more eggs.

Lower-sugar fruit (berries; this time of year, citrus)
Riced cauliflower (this freezes well, just microwave 4 minutes, wring out the water and make fried rice)
Winter squash
Avocados
Spaghetti squash - gets its own category
Fish fillets - can be cooked from frozen
Canned kippered herring
Compliant sausage - I like to make breakfast patties from scratch, and have some Mulay's hot italian sausages in the freezer for a quick meal
Ghee
Root vegetables - carrots, parsnips, potatoes, beets, turnips
Onions and garlic
Compliant condiments - mayo, salsa, sriracha, vinegars
Nuts - almond, macadamia, pecan, walnut, cashews
Tea

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #828 on: December 31, 2015, 09:12:23 AM »
Great list!

I'll just add, eggs, eggs and more eggs.

Lower-sugar fruit (berries; this time of year, citrus)
Riced cauliflower (this freezes well, just microwave 4 minutes, wring out the water and make fried rice)
Winter squash
Avocados
Spaghetti squash - gets its own category
Fish fillets - can be cooked from frozen
Canned kippered herring
Compliant sausage - I like to make breakfast patties from scratch, and have some Mulay's hot italian sausages in the freezer for a quick meal
Ghee
Root vegetables - carrots, parsnips, potatoes, beets, turnips
Onions and garlic
Compliant condiments - mayo, salsa, sriracha, vinegars
Nuts - almond, macadamia, pecan, walnut, cashews
Tea

Ugh, I think I was blocking out the idea of eggs, eggs, eggs! ;)

Good points on the root veggies, onion and garlic, sausages, nuts, avocados, compliant condiments (Is Sriracha compliant in the US? it isn't here in Canada although Cholula is)

I forgot a few things from my list! Thanks for the reminders, Horsepoor!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #829 on: December 31, 2015, 09:17:50 AM »
Sadly, sugar is like the second ingredient in Sriracha, but NomNom Paleo has a Whole30 sriracha recipe.  I made some but I used honey instead of date, so it's not strictly W30, but tastes less sweet than store-bought sriracha.

And crap, how could I forget:

BONE BROTH

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #830 on: December 31, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »
Swick, did you make kimchi or buy it?  I have some store-bought left that I'm going to use as a starter for a batch with a savoy cabbage and daikon.  I've made it before but it hasn't been as good as the over-priced healthfood store stuff.  Whole Foods has some made with black garlic that is awesome, except for the $9 for a little jar part.

There are lots of other veggie ferments you could play around with too.  I feel like Kombucha has too much sugar for W30 even though it's technically "on the list."  But fermented pickles are awesome, and I love fermented carrots.  Planning to do a batch of those today.  Unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is another probiotic source if you can find it there or make your own.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #831 on: December 31, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »
Sadly, sugar is like the second ingredient in Sriracha, but NomNom Paleo has a Whole30 sriracha recipe.  I made some but I used honey instead of date, so it's not strictly W30, but tastes less sweet than store-bought sriracha.

And crap, how could I forget:

BONE BROTH

YES! BONE BROTH! and Duck! I love sharing, it jogs the memory!

I make the kimchi, I have never used a starter for it, I suppose it might make it a little faster? It takes about 15 days to make.  I use to use the Gouchachage paste - which adds a ton of depth and flavor but it is a no go on the Whole 30. I managed to find some Korean red pepper which is spicy but also fruity. Turkish Marash Pepper makes a good substitute if it is easier to find. I usually do a blend of veggies, daikon, carrot, green onion, cabbage, and Bok Choy.

Is the Whole Foods Kimchi Pasteurized? It sure sounds good!  I have a 5-gallon jug of raw ACV. I love that stuff!  How do you make your fermented carrots? Sounds awesome and I have a huge bag of carrots to use up.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #832 on: December 31, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »
The Whole Paycheck kimchi is unpasteurized.  They have a bunch of kinds refrigerated near the produce section.  I also got one that was called a Salvadorean salsa, but was really just a spicy kraut that made a good condiment.

Fermented carrots - just do about 3 cups of water to 2 tablespoons of salt for a brine, then add in whatever herbs and spices, onions/garlic you might want and toss in carrot sticks.  They stay nice and crunchy - this time of year they'll probably take about two weeks.  You can also do grated carrot the same way you'd do kraut - instead of a brine, pack down the shreds and salt them.  Haven't tried that one yet but want to.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #833 on: December 31, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
Awesome, thanks Horsepoor! I'll have to start some carrots today!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #834 on: December 31, 2015, 12:50:39 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!  I'm really looking forward to this next whole30. My favorite results from my previous effort (completed 31 Nov) were constant energy levels, reduced sugar cravings, clearer skin, less moodiness /grumpiness and 6.5kg weightloss. My aim this time around is to break my sugar addiction by eliminating dried fruit and high sugar fruits, working towards no fruit. I am also going to check I'm hungry before eating (not emotional eating) and reduce portion sizes. I still have 10kg to lose and would like to achieve that before my birthday in April. Thanks for making my shopping list, ladies. Best wishes to you all.ks

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #835 on: December 31, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
I am surprised that you didn't list tomatoes as a staple. Look up a recipe for Shakshuka, my husband considers that a staple meal. Its the reason he learned to eat eggs over easy despite a life long aversion.

Tomatoes (usually diced and crushed in cans), onions, leeks, bell peppers, garlic, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, root vegetables (it is winter here), unsalted butter for making homemade ghee (I do it in 3lb batches), mushrooms, eggs, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, lemons, limes, fish sauce and whole chickens so I can make a ton of homemade broth and soup. Oh and spices galore. I had to make a homemade version of Nature's Seasoning because its good on everything. Though smoked paprika is a marvelous stand alone spice.

Those items listed above are not permitted to run out and have to be restocked instantly, everything else can run out and be picked up a couple weeks down the road for variety.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #836 on: December 31, 2015, 07:16:54 PM »
Thought about adding tomatoes, but figured they go under veggies.  I haven't made shakshuka in quite a while, but need to put it back in rotation. 

I make unstuffed cabbage pretty frequently and that uses lots of canned tomatoes.

Cooked leeks and kale together with ghee tonight, had Salmon cooked with tangerines and the fingerling potatoes steamed and then crisped in olive oil and dipped in homemade spicy mayo.  Oh, the deprivation!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:15:42 AM by horsepoor »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #837 on: January 01, 2016, 09:31:11 AM »
  Oh, the deprivation!

<snicker> Love it!  And something I have to remember! We really do eat like kings on the Whole30.

Happy New Year everyone!  I'm excited to start day 1 today. I'm not overly prepared but I'm not worried at all. That's how I started out in September and it turned out great.  My kiddos are with their dad for the weekend, so I'm going to be getting back into the routine of cooking, cooking, cooking on the weekend.  I'm really looking forward to it, since I've realized it's a good stress reliever.  Who knew? I'm so ready for the return to a normal routine. As much as I like vacation, I've realized how bored I get if I don't have things planned (which leads to mindless eating). Something to work on before hitting FIRE too. :-)

Last night I decided that I'm going to cut the cord on my satellite. That will give me more time for food prep and time for exercising.

The shopping lists below are pretty close to mine also. The only thing I would add is almond butter.  I eat way too much of the stuff, but that's something I'll be working on this month.  Less apples with almond butter.  I want to get into keto for a while, so I'm going to limit my potatoes and fruit. 

Honestly, I've never even heard of some of these foods you all have mentioned......kimchi?  Shakshuka?  I've looked them up and will maybe give them a try this month.  I also joined a FB Whole30 recipe page for new ideas.  Here's one recipe I'm going to try this month:

http://www.platedwithstyle.com/2014/10/24/paleo-swedish-meatballs/

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #838 on: January 01, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »
Hi everyone, day1 went pretty well despite a few challenges.  Leftovers for breakfast, made and took a veggie omelet on our adventures for lunch and made roast chicken and vege for dinner. I feel great pretty much straight away and the metallic taste is back. Took the kids to the aquarium on a rainy day with thousands of others. The cafe offerings were terrible - kids lunchboxes for $9 with juice, crisps, chocolate fish and a white bread sandwich.  No thanks.  Glad I brought enough snacks to keep us going. Feels great to just avoid the holiday treats still hanging around.  There really is something about removing some of the decisions in our lives. Have cooked up lots of roast vege and ground meat with no flavours that will last me a couple of days. Thanks for the parsley salad idea, caoineag, it was awesome.  I finished it up for breakfast with ground beef and chilli sauce. I downsized my portions by about a third yesterday and didn't get ravenously hungry so will keep that up. Have a family lunch today and will take a salad with ground beef and some nuts to keep me happy. Hope all is well with everyone.  Thanks for the tip about whole30 recipe fb page, mum22boys, I need some more inspiration. Ks

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #839 on: January 01, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »
Happy 2016 everyone!

Day one is going well for us. Had coconut buzzed coffee and a nice Frittata for breakfast using up a bunch of meat and veggies my sister made for her NY party last night.  Stopped on the way home to pick up a bunch of veggies. Am glad it is only Friday, gives us the weekend for some food prep :)

I also took some measurements this time around, so it'll be easier to track that progress. 

So glad it looks like there are a few of us in this time around :)

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #840 on: January 01, 2016, 06:47:27 PM »
Day 10 here. Still no cravings and the appetite control is good. Though poor hubby nearly had to start over. I warned him just in time that we can't actually taste the milk solids toasted up when we make ghee because right now we are making ghee to remove said milk solids. He hadn't actually connected the dots between the two and had been planning to try them because he hadn't tasted them before. Fortunately, ghee is the only thing made from non-compliant ingredients in the house and lasts forever so that shouldn't be an issue in the future. Its things like this that make me dread anything requiring 100% perfection.

Hubby was very pleased though that he cooked two different items tonight for supper and both turned out well. I have been cooking up a storm to keep us well fed and he wanted to make dinner for me in order to contribute. He had his own grocery list and recipe cards for today. It was very sweet.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #841 on: January 01, 2016, 09:20:21 PM »
Phew, caoineag, that was a close call. I nearly had one today when I was given the wrong coffee at lunch. Looked suspiciously frothy so asked hubby to check and sure enough,  I had been given the flat white and he had my long black. But it was very sweet of our lunch hosts to google whole30 and make a delicious lamb salad for me. Lots of brownie points won there. My planned lunch will now become dinner -lovely, a night off cooking!  Feeling awesome. One of our hosts is a sugar/ carb addict who drinks juice/soda because she hates the taste of water - and she's a nurse. She's in her 50's and starting to worry about her health so she peppered me with a thousand questions.  She's always been very slim so was surprised that she was interested but I guess you never know what people eat and drink behind closed doors!  She even admitted to bags of lollies/candy in the car that she snacks on every trip which I guess could be a couple of times a day. I think I gave her lots to think about. She knows she needs to do better as I bet she sees plenty of diet related horrors through her work. Some unhelpful comments from hubby reiterated that he is not feeling in a supportive mood but at this point I just don't care - I'm doing this for me. Have a great day everyone,  Ks

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #842 on: January 02, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »
Happy 2016 everyone!

Day one is going well for us. Had coconut buzzed coffee and a nice Frittata for breakfast using up a bunch of meat and veggies my sister made for her NY party last night.  Stopped on the way home to pick up a bunch of veggies. Am glad it is only Friday, gives us the weekend for some food prep :)

I also took some measurements this time around, so it'll be easier to track that progress. 

So glad it looks like there are a few of us in this time around :)

Hey! I'm still here, have been off-the-net mostly. Transgressed on Christmas Day as planned, and popped up to The Number That Shall Not Be Named.

How to fix?
- 45 miles bike riding since Christmas, hoping to get to 100 miles by next week,
- DW is joining me on the shorter rides and making incredible progress,
- Since Christmas day, we've gone hardcore. New numbers will be achieved!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #843 on: January 02, 2016, 11:57:59 AM »
The Season of Insanity Continues it's Endless Cycle:

- The Weight Watchers, Nutri-System and local gym ads abound on TV. Oprah bought into Weight Watchers and is on the commercials now. Must be some good money in it!
- Big increase in ads for what I call "fake health foods" like yogurt and Olive Garden
- OMG, there's pizza ads every five minutes

We made no resolutions here - there's nothing to make. We went back to our preferred lifestyle and are very happy. Being strict is also DELICIOUS!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #844 on: January 02, 2016, 12:27:23 PM »
Nice to hear from you, Faraday!

Things are going well, The plan today is to use some coupons, sales and gift certificate hubby got from work for Christmas to buy some good ground beef. We have a pretty good supply of other meats but beef is really expensive here, and most of my other meat is not in a "quick" to use form. 

My food prep plans for the day are bake off some sweet potatoes, make some mashed rutabaga, and maybe make a stew?

The only downside is we are back to struggling with what to make Hubs for breakfast. He's not big on the coconut buzzed tea - he likes everything black. So besides breakfast, getting enough good oil in him is a challenge too.

He has been doing really well for breakfasts lately, so I think we'll keep up with what he has been doing (even though it is not strictly whole 30 approved due to the idea of SWYPO) I have been making Flax pancakes which is basically just ground flax, coconut oil, coconut milk, baking powder and egg with a bit of warming spices and vanilla. He usually has these with a little bit of homemade no-sugar applesauce and some almond butter.  The plus side is these heat up in toaster oven really well, so when he is up at 5:00 to get ready for work, I don't have to get up and make a full breakfast he will enjoy less. 

I also justify it because he is eating a lot of healthy foods that he would otherwise have a hard time eating. So as long as the nutrients get in him, and they are all compliant, and surprisingly low-carb, I'm not going to worry about it :)

He is getting some external motivation though, he ran into one of the guys he has done project work with but works out of another part of the plant, haven't seen him in three or so months and the other guy asked if he was losing weight, cuz he looks great! His response has been "I've been cutting out sugar" and going deeper into it if anyone is curious to know more.

How is everyone else doing?

surething22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #845 on: January 02, 2016, 12:41:31 PM »
I've been vegan 6 years and did a little research on whole 30 when my gf told me she'd be doing it for January. I'm in it to cut out alcohol and sugar, but would find it extremely difficult to work a plan that excludes nuts, seeds, legumes, soy, and gluten. I found a modified grocery list but think I can manage without gluten and limiting processed isolated soy sources. Following this thread.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #846 on: January 02, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »
I've been vegan 6 years and did a little research on whole 30 when my gf told me she'd be doing it for January. I'm in it to cut out alcohol and sugar, but would find it extremely difficult to work a plan that excludes nuts, seeds, legumes, soy, and gluten. I found a modified grocery list but think I can manage without gluten and limiting processed isolated soy sources. Following this thread.

Welcome, surething22! You do not need to cut out nuts and seeds to do a whole 30 - Unless they show up as being a problem food for you.  There are also vegetarian/vegan suggestions for doing a  "Veg" Whole 30 http://whole30.com/2015/06/veg-whole30/

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #847 on: January 02, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »
Welcome surething22.

Great to have you back Faraday.

Today I stocked up at Costco. Now I have a happy pantry full of tuna, tomatoes (fresh, diced, and fire roasted), marinara sauce, salsa, nuts, olive oil, and fruit.  Today I'm making the spicy tuna cakes from NomNomPaleo and chicken fajitas, which I'll eat over my braised cabbage that I still have left. Oh, I'm also cooking up my turkey breakfast sausage, which I'll use with my eggs each morning for the week.  I'm also going to make mayo, and then some yummy deviled eggs!  I can't believe that I've never made deviled eggs while on the Whole30...I. LOVE. THEM.  Excited to get the homemade mayo done and eat those lovely eggs. Tomorrow I'm going to make the chocolate chili from Well Fed (I think it's in the Whole30 book took).

This time around I'm going to write down the food I eat each day. I want to try and get into a 3-month cycle where I can reuse the menus each 3 month. I'm sure I'll have some repeats of menus, but I know it will be easier for me to stick with it if I have a plan for my menus.

Looking ahead in my calendar, this coming week I have a birthday lunch for a friend from work. Normally I would give an excuse to not go, but I won't with this lunch because she's a good friend. I have no idea what restaurant we are going to so I'm a little concerned. I'll have to just play it by ear and see what I can find to eat.

Oh a side note....I finally had time over the holidays to get my pictures from my camera saved to my laptop. My boys had taken a picture of me while on our vacation this summer. I wanted to cry. It was taken after my first Whole30 in July. I've lost more weight since then, but it was still hard to look at. It was a great motivation to never go back there again.  I'm actually thankful for these little reminders that I need to change, and WANT to change.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #848 on: January 02, 2016, 05:47:02 PM »
I've been talking to my wife about doing this again (had the second post in this now huge thread! haha).

I'd like to do a longer trial of it because I really think that food affects my overall energy. I'd like to isolate that to what food does it.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #849 on: January 02, 2016, 06:18:01 PM »
Day 11 today. For lunch I suddenly decided I was on strike for cooking. I had plenty of things I could cook and quickly, but I was still on strike. First time since starting the Whole 30 but I had done research ahead of time on what restaurants would be safe (because I know that my greatest enemy is my impulsive nature) so I turned to my husband and asked which restaurant he wanted to hit. We decided to go with the one we trusted most to keep the cheese off our salad and had a glorious steak salad. Given restaurant portions, tea and a few pieces of fruit (if that) will be supper but so worth it and kept me from breaking the diet. I knew at some point I was going to have to contend with me wanting to eat out but was surprised how little warning I had before it hit. Funny part was no cravings, just suddenly decided I DID NOT WANT TO COOK (this apparently included microwaving anything already prepared or just eating some raw veggies).

*Sigh* Knew I would be fighting my own impulsive nature eventually, was just amazed that it took this long. I even know what triggered it. Hubby was hungry and I was starting to get there but I was ready to start my list and head out the door. I don't like being delayed (yes, I know it took longer to go to a restaurant and eat but clearly I allow for that because I like the experience of eating out).

This is why I prepared for this for 2 months. I knew at some point I would have to eat in places that were rife with bad choices and still have to make good ones. Good news is the impulse now satisfied should be tame for a little while and we have plenty of things to make in the future. I do have a number of restaurants that are safe to eat meals at but I really want to stay away from restaurants as much as I can because the risk of breaking compliance is much much higher there (I can make the right choices, but restaurants aren't always perfect in their cross contamination of items).

On a more positive note, I am making a lot of progress on my fitness goals again and was impressed at my length of run this morning so the energy levels are back up.