Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427498 times)

swick

• Magnum Stache
Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« on: August 23, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »
EDIT/UPDATE: What is Whole 30?

This thread is getting a little long, it's full of some awesome and totally supportive mustachians! For those that don't know, Whole 30 http://whole30.com/ is a 30 DAY program designed to cut out food groups you might have issues with so your body can heal, reset and you can figure out how food affect YOU.

It is basically a stricter version of Paleo. It's good place to start if you want to go that way long term (it also helps you figure out your mental and emotional relationship with food)

Want to quite sugar? It is a great plan for that too!

RESULTS: EVery mustachian so far in our group has seen some positive effects. Wieght loss, reliving of syptoms, reduction in chronic pain, higher energy levels. Everyone is diffferent, your milage will vary. BUt it's only 30 days (although many of us have kept on longer or are doing a modified version of the program to fit their needs and goals)

Hi Musiatchians!

EDIT/UPDATE: Several mustachians took up the September challenge, we have had a few join along the way. What we discovered is such a drastic change in quality of life and life style, many are sticking with it (or finding their own healthier groove) and this thread is a WEALTH of info and support. So...Wherever you are on your whole 30 journey, Starting out, or well on your way, please join us!

Hubs and I are going to be doing our first "Whole-30" starting Sept 8th. Why Sept 8th? We have a large family reunion the weekend before and no control over the food. Also, our 2nd Anniversary is on the 7th, so figured it would be a good, healthy way to start a new year of marriage.

So...anyone want to join us? Anyone have any specific hints/tips/recipes/experiences they would like to share?

I'm thinking my biggest challenge is making sure Hubs has enough to eat. He's not very keen on most egg preparations, mushrooms or avocados and is pretty reliant on carbs. If anyone wants to join us, that'd be awesome!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:42:27 AM by swick »

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Whole-30 Starting Sept 8th. Want to join us?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 03:45:23 PM »
My wife and I did this earlier this summer. I found it very easy to be full and not hungry but my wife was much more hungry.

Sweet potatoes are a great staple-ish food. We made quite a few bakes with them, which were great.

Some meals we liked:

- Baked veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, sweat potatoes, etc) with Italian sausage
 - Stirfry can be great, just no rice
 - crock pot - pork spare ribs, tomatoes, onion, frozen peaches, some spices. This is something I loved and we still make

I liked it, I find a lot of these meals to be better. Bulk meat is a good thing to think of.

For snacks, we kept around some nuts/raisins which I liked (Sams has good deals on these).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 04:14:18 PM »
My wife and I did this earlier this summer. I found it very easy to be full and not hungry but my wife was much more hungry.

Sweet potatoes are a great staple-ish food. We made quite a few bakes with them, which were great.

Some meals we liked:

- Baked veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, sweat potatoes, etc) with Italian sausage
 - Stirfry can be great, just no rice
 - crock pot - pork spare ribs, tomatoes, onion, frozen peaches, some spices. This is something I loved and we still make

I liked it, I find a lot of these meals to be better. Bulk meat is a good thing to think of.

For snacks, we kept around some nuts/raisins which I liked (Sams has good deals on these).

Thanks, Ender :)

The crockpot chicken with peaches sound great! We have a lamb and chicken order coming in so we should be good for meat, although some of our cured pork products have sugar in them - so we might have to get some non-cured stuff. We live in an area with lots of local organic farmers, we are very fortunate in that regard!

Hubs loves stir-fry's but most of the sauces he uses have some form of sugar or soy in them, so it is going to take a little bit of brain retraining (or just being super conscious) of it so we can find alternatives.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:55:32 PM »
I'm in!  I did my first Whole 30 in July and LOVED it!  Unfortunately I didn't do the reintroduction phase as planned (due to vacation/family visiting), and of course now I feel like crap.  I may start a little earlier, just because I want to feel good again. 

My biggest tip is to keep it simple.  What worked for me was to make the same thing for breakfast all week, the same thing for lunch all week, and then mix it up a little for supper or on the weekends.  I know some people don't want to eat the same thing over and over again, but it really works for me. 

It was surprising easy the first time around, other than finding things without sugar!  That was my biggest eye opener....sugar in EVERYTHING!  You (We) can do it!  You will not be sorry you did!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 02:25:36 PM »
I'm in!  I did my first Whole 30 in July and LOVED it!  Unfortunately I didn't do the reintroduction phase as planned (due to vacation/family visiting), and of course now I feel like crap.  I may start a little earlier, just because I want to feel good again. 

My biggest tip is to keep it simple.  What worked for me was to make the same thing for breakfast all week, the same thing for lunch all week, and then mix it up a little for supper or on the weekends.  I know some people don't want to eat the same thing over and over again, but it really works for me. 

It was surprising easy the first time around, other than finding things without sugar!  That was my biggest eye opener....sugar in EVERYTHING!  You (We) can do it!  You will not be sorry you did!

WHOOT! Looking forward to having the company! Funny you should mention the re-introduction phase. I have been reading a lot of people's blogs about doing the whole-30...but none of them really go into the re-introduction part.  I'm rather curious how it will all go for us. I imagine I'll learn some things I'd rather not know!

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »
I'll be just coming off my 3rd Whole 30 at August end; I'm in a month on then off rotation at the moment so not sure I'll line up with you this year but I'll follow along with interest.   

Personally I find it easier to do the Whole 30 in summer.  A variety of Salads and grilled vegetables = less effort/burn out for me. 

I'll probably squeeze in one more before the end of the year but want to do my first Whole 90 starting in January if anybody wants to psyche themselves up for that.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »
I'll be just coming off my 3rd Whole 30 at August end; I'm in a month on then off rotation at the moment so not sure I'll line up with you this year but I'll follow along with interest.   

I'll probably squeeze in one more before the end of the year but want to do my first Whole 90 starting in January if anybody wants to psyche themselves up for that.

Wow, that is awesome! Any chance you can share some of your experiences? How are you feeling? Notice any improvements?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »

Yeah this is helpful too.

For breakfasts, I was just having a tilapia filet (Aldi's has them about $5.50 for 2#) fried in a pan. Works great, and I'm still doing it since they come perfectly packaged into individual filets!

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »
Like many I find it easier to stay on and be totally strict for 30 days vs. WW or others where you have more flexibility.   YMMV but I've found flexibility is not my friend in the case of weight loss. 

First off I've been gluten free for almost 5 years and I've done rounds of sugar fasting in the past so I didn't really hit the 'carb wall' or maybe feel the extremes that total newbies would.  Seconding the previous poster about using sweet potatoes judicially - I usually start week one with a small one baked and cut up into a cold salad portioned for the week.  +1 on batch cooking for breakfast and having the same thing all week.

First time round it was bit expensive too as I had to test and try new condiments but now Coconut Aminos & Red Boat are just staples like Ranch and Mayo used to be.  I'm also much better at estimating how greens and vegetables are going to cook up/last for meal planning so less spoiled food and my Spiralizer is already a sunk cost.   To be successful I think you really have to try and eat foods and spices you wouldn't normally buy.  Squash and Fish got more play for me but whatever your blank spot is keep the recipes simple but ingredients expansive.

Liquids.  I don't drink coffee and I had already kicked Pop a few years back.  While you don't have to be caffeine free I decided to give it up too. It was a mental argument I made that this wasn't a diet it was a fast to reset my body.  So I gave up the unsweetened ice tea in the morning too.  Which basically means I drink only water during Whole30.  That's actually something I stick with between Whole 30s now; I add back in Wine and Alcohol but still mostly drink just water.

I don't weigh myself as per their advice.  The biggest changes for me are in how I feel and how my clothes fit.  Don't get me wrong I've lost weight too but it's secondary to how differently my clothes fit and my body feels.  It's pretty exciting when clothes that were tight on you switch to super loose and then --OMG I think this is too big for me.  Feeds the virtuous circle that keeps me coming back to the Whole 30 again and again.   

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 05:53:53 AM »
My go-to breakfast is coconut milk/banana smoothie - easy and full of fat/protein goodness. Normally I'll add some peanut butter but that's out under Whole-30 so I'll either go without or will substitute almond butter if allowed.

I'm not trying to be a rule-nazi....but I know the program recommends to not do smoothies/protein shakes.  The reason is because it's becoming a trigger food for people.  But, I'll leave it up to you to do your reading and see what you think.

I'm in the same boat with the carb-binge.  Gotta get clear again!  I'm going to start on Sept. 1 too.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
Whole-30 Starting Sept 8th. Want to join us?
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 06:09:13 AM »
My wife and I have done a couple of whole 30 stretches this year (just finished another, actually).

1) Whomever mentioned the impossibility of finding most foods without sugar is spot on
2) Don't try to go whole 30 and give up a raging caffeine addiction together. Pick one.
3) Do expect to see all the stages of resetting they discuss. Examples are fatigue and "kill all the things"
4) Do NOT kid yourself and sneak just one thing--your body is not fooled and you will set your progress back.
5) Do experiment with new foods, or you will hate eggs by the end.
6) Do expect your grocery budget to go haywire, especially if you are used to staples like rice, beans, white bread, etc. There are ways to reduce the bill to MMM levels but it takes a while to figure it out.

My wife has a bunch of recipes she's assembled or created as we do whole 30ish eating most of the time anyway, except for wine occasionally. If anyone wants them I'll collect them in a pdf and share them on Google drive.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:14:42 AM by IndyPendent »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 10:38:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences cryinginthepool, what is "Red Boat"?

I don't know what I am going to do on the caffeine front. I know I should quit and have several times over the years (you'd think after spending 3 days on the floor each time, I'd get the hint that year those are classic withdrawal symptoms)

I blame my love of good coffee on being Danish and working in and then managing an independent coffee shop starting when I was 16. 4 shot affogato for breakfast? sure seems like a good idea! (sarcasm)

So going to switch to tea for the whole 30, maybe splurge on some matcha. I don't like black coffee unless it is super high quality (Gosh I sound like a snob) so going to spend the money instead on some better food ingredients. But a splash of steamed milk in a french press is just lovely. I have been trying some of those "Paleo" cream substitutes ...blech!

Wow I got side tracked! IndyPendent - if you and your wife would be willing to share a google Doc of tried and tested recipes, that would be amazing!

RE: starting earlier in September, that is awesome! I can learn from all of you :)

Hubby also has the week of the 8th off, that is another reason I chose the date it will allow us to have a week of adjusting and cooking together and trying to sort out breakfasts and lunches and such before we have to worry about feeding him at work. He usually gets dinner leftovers. At least his lunchmates won't tease him during the whole 30 about never having "MEAT" in his lunch kit. He usually does, but we tend to use meat more as a flavor accent, so should be interesting.

To add to the challenge, we are trying really hard not to eat any food made in China and support local as much as we can. This  will probably make our grocery budget higher, we tend to eat a lot of beans and lentils and supplement with higher quality meat.

Has anyone made their own Ghee?

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »
My GF and I just are getting off it. She made ghee aka clarified butter. Basically just put in in a pan over a low heat and strain it if I remember correctly. Be careful not to do it too much or it will brown some. She actually likes it that way. I didn't.

My GF was much better off than I was. I was cranky and hungry a lot. She was hungry a lot too but felt a lot better. We both lost some weight. She had/has more to lose so maybe that makes a difference. We've both been paleo/keto/low carb/whatever you want to call it for a while so it wasn't a huge thing for either of us. Just the little things. Lack of cheese for her and lack of a little honey in my green tea for me. Besides the taste since I started having some local honey in my tea my seasonal pollen allergies have been so much better. I used to have to take antihistamines at least once a week from May until October but since only once or twice a year.

On the plus side we are planning on reducing our sweeteners and paleo treats to much lower levels than prior to this. I think that is the biggest thing to get out of it. Find out what your "bad" foods are and make adjustments for you. We are still easing back into things but just a few tiny things are making us both feel much better.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 03:44:08 PM »
My GF and I just are getting off it. She made ghee aka clarified butter. Basically just put in in a pan over a low heat and strain it if I remember correctly. Be careful not to do it too much or it will brown some. She actually likes it that way. I didn't.

I learned from doing the Whole30 that there is a difference between clarified butter and ghee. Clarified button is if you do NOT let it brown. If you let it brown, then it's called ghee, and has more of a nutty flavor.  I made clarified butter the first time around (still have some in my fridge) and I used it mainly for frying eggs. I didn't think there was much flavor to clarified butter, since you're supposed to make it with unsalted butter. Boooo!  I found the salt made a big difference in the flavor. I might have to try ghee next time and see if there is more flavor.

sugarsnap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 08:38:59 PM »
I just finished. I have auto immune issues so I didn't see the "Super Amazing Energy!!" As I think it takes my body longer to heal. I lost 8lbs.  I've been dairy free for 5 years and mostly sugar free and I didn't really get a carb flu or anything like that.

My digestion is better and it's really great to feel full for hours and not need to snack. It was hard for me to get used to eating lots of fats and meats and I still haven't found a great breakfast besides eggs even though I'm not a big fan of eggs.

I didn't try many whole30 recipes, I just kept to the basics. Palm size portion of meat, a bunch of veggies and some fats. I had a lot of chicken salads with avocado and homemade basaltic dressing.

I'll be keeping to the whole30 for another few months but I will have some wine and a few squares of dark chocolate occasionally as well as muffins made from whole30 ingredients.

I haven't tried adding in gluten again and I'm a little afraid to do so! I don't plan on eating dairy. I'll probably get a little more lax about trace sugar in foods but continue to avoid it where I can. I guess I'll try out soy at some point.

I didn't find it hard to find stuff to eat at all. I had chipotle once which was slightly off plan because of the wrong type of oil. I also reverted to regular paleo (had some rice and honey, and a small bit of jerkey with soy) on a grueling multi day backpacking trip but otherwise was easily able to comply 100%.

Good luck! I find I'm feeding my whole family better now. My husband lost 10 lbs just by eating the food I cooked for dinner but not going paleo or whole30. Men!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »
Go Eirene! I'm starting tomorrow too. I'm not quit as well planned this time, but I at least have the basics ready to go. I'm impressed you found chicken that only has whole ingredients. I couldn't find any my first time, so I made a lot from scratch. Which is kinda the point.

Breakfast is scrambled eggs with fresh salsa, fruit
Lunch is lettuce, tomatoes and tuna. Nothing fancy.
Supper is salmon with veggies, maybe green beans and potatoes

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 04:46:16 AM »
I've been thinking about doing this again and just saw this thread. Last year, I made it through day 15 and was just tired of it. I'm going to start today and try to make it the whole 30 days this time.
I bought some meat and vegetables last night to start with and want to keep track of how much $ I spend. I'm not going to try to figure out the cost of stuff that I already have though.

chicken - $15.55 (2.36 lbs)
beef - $ 17.68 (2 lbs)
green beans - $5.99 (2 lbs)
baby spinach - $4.49 (1 lb)
eggs - $3.55 (16). I buy eggs from a guy w/ backyard chickens - 18 for $4, but my husband ate 2.

I guess this is a start. I have some watermelon, 1 grapefruit and some strawberries in the freezer and that's about all the food I have in the house right now anyway. I'm going to need some more vegetables.

breakfast - eggs w/ spinach and watermelon
lunch - chicken and green beans
dinner - idk

I work 12.5 hr night shifts and sometimes only eat twice a day so may just do that instead of trying to plan 3 meals/day.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »
I freaking loved doing this. The first two weeks were absolutely miserable. Over plan and overcook. We didnt' do this. Went to the gym, brought some snacks for after, and then went to see harry potter (the last one - it was like 3+ hours). We then went shopping. My wife almost broke down into tears when she coudln't find a sauce for chicken that wasn't approved.

In the end though, we had a great routine after 2 weeks and had a blast with the rest of it.

On the whole, I've taken some of my lessons. I don't drink milk anymore (didn't realize how bad it was making my bathroom time) and I drink my coffee black. I eat more veggies, although it's definitely not enough.

I lost 10 lbs when I did it even though I ate non-stop. I was also at my most fit and playing lots of volleyball and doing crossfit 3x per week so that's not very surprising.

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 08:50:39 AM »
I did a whole30 in February. I had picked up running again and lost 15 lbs in 6 months, then on the W30 I lost another 15 lbs.
The main reason I wanted to do the W30 is because I tend to get bingey on sugar. I am the sort of person who can flip a switch in my head and just cut something out entirely if it is forbidden, so this worked very well for me.
That said, I went on vacation and started up eating a bunch of non W30 stuff again and started to gain weight back. I kind of want to do it again but I think I will just force my cooking to trend W30.

Non-scale victories? Yes definitely energy, better, faster, stronger workouts. Clearer skin. Moods evened out after a few days.
The timeline they describe was fairly accurate. I needed naps at times, I found 'tiger blood' at a certain point as well.

I ate a LOT of eggs and used a lot of coconut milk. I also did trays of chicken thighs with salt, pepper and paprika. Those were my go-to items. I did go and buy some alternative flours and coconut aminos that were on sale -- didn't use the flours much and did enjoy the coconut aminos as a soy sauce substitute. After the program there's a much cheaper replica recipe that uses trace amounts of sugar I've been meaning to try.

At times I absolutely had to eat more than 3 meals a day. Do not worry about eating too much food. I did up sweet potatoes, roasted carrots and yams for when I was after something "substantial". Zoodles and cauli-rice are your friend. I didn't really miss any of the foods in particular, it just required work. And it is more expensive, but eye-opening.

What worked for me was making a big pan of something, eating a bit of it, then an hour and a half later finishing it off as a 'snack'.
Yes, they speak against 'snacks' but the thing is it took me about a week to be able to force myself to eat those huge quantities of food required in one go.

Also on Saturdays when I work and don't have time to have a real sit-down, I hauled out nut butters, bananas, coconut flakes, veggies, and little pieces of chicken. It wasn't "perfect", it wasn't "template", but it was what I needed to do to make it through the program.

EDIT: Beverages!! I almost forgot. Black coffee is not that bad. I cut it with coconut milk now but on W30 I drank it straight. Also, lemon juice in water is a lifesaver, and will taste amazingly sweet, so so so good.

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »
+1 on the lemon juice in water...  total lifesaver.   I'd recommend avoiding the generic brand lemon juices or plastic fruit container types.  I found those upset my stomach and left at bad taste in my mouth. 

Totally worth the extra couple of $$ for a good organic brand - i prefer the Santa Cruz Organic Lemon Juice.  I bought multiple bottles; one for work, home, parents house.    It's also good  in a pinch for W30 based marinades.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 10:50:49 AM »
Shout for water too!  I didn't do lemon water, just plain old ice water.  Make sure to drink a lot of water (for me it is 100+ oz a day) at least for the first week.  I found it really helped me during my first round of Whole30 in July.  I didn't even have a sugar-headache, which was a huge thing.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 12:24:54 PM »
orange water is better than lemon water.

Oh, and Frank's red hot is allowed and should be put on everything.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 04:36:08 AM »
Eggs. I love eggs. I was eating ~7 eggs a day when I was on whole 30. LOL. Now the price has gone up a TON though. Over $20 for my 7.5 dozen from Sams Club.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 07:35:41 AM »
How was day 1 for the few that started today?  About half way through the day, I thought why the heck am I doing this again?  But, I quickly got over it and made it fine the rest of the day.  I don't make my boys abide by the rules 100% so that makes it a little harder, but I have to remind myself that it just makes it more challenging for me, and I like a good challenge. 

The salmon wasn't thawed in time for supper, so I ended up making a big batch of crumbled turkey sausage (which I use almost the whole week). Since my boys had already eaten left overs, and it was getting really late for my supper, I used a little turkey sausage with 2 eggs, added some oil for the fat, plus a little fruit, and called it good.  Not the ideal day, since I was too low on veggies, but today will be better.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 10:00:02 AM »
Been out of town without an internet connection, so stoked to see how everyone is doing!

Good tip on the Franks hot sauce! Anyone else have suggestions for condiments that are approved?

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »
There are a lot of salsas that are compliant.  I have a couple from Natural Grocers (can't remember the name), but I think that even Pace is compliant.  I'm going off memory, so please read the labels just incase I'm remembering wrong. 

I'm dying to try some of the sauces from Tessemae's. http://www.tessemaes.com/  I checked at my local Whole Foods, which was supposed to carry them, but they didn't have them.  Frustrating! So, I may just have to order online and have them shipped.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that the Tessemae's website has a filter for Whole30 so you can be sure to only order things that are compliant.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 02:37:17 PM »
I've decided this weekend I'm going to finally try to make mayo.  I've always been a little scared of trying, due to what seems like a lot of failure that I've heard from others. Need something new to add to my meals, besides salsa. May even venture and try the BBQ sauce from the Whole30 book. Anyone else had any luck with the sauces?  If they fail, I may finally break down and order some Tessemae's. I'm holding off since I also want to do the Savetember challenge.  No wastin' money!

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »
Swick, are you ready for tomorrow? Eirene and Naomi, haven't heard from you in a while. Still on track?

This round has been even easier for me so far. I'm getting into a good routine with the food options. I haven't tried making the mayo yet, but I did make the chicken coconut curry from the whole30 book. Wowza! That is amazingly good. I made a double batch of the sauce and have been using it for multiple meals.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
Still ready to join you, although I have been super, duper sick for the past week and haven't been eating much of anything. Can still do oil of oregano, but my throat is not going to be a happy camper not being able to take some menthol drops. Will have to experiment, maybe some slippery elm tea.

Found these recipes for mayo/ghee sauces, might help, mom22boys? I'll be trying them.
http://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/ would you be able to share the chicken currey recipe? Sounds good!

I have a fridge full of veggies Lack of appetite and several CSA drops, so should be good once we get going :)

How is everyone else doing? Any wins? Challenges?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 11:27:28 PM »
How is everyone else doing? Any wins? Challenges?

I've been waffling, but now I'm in. I celebrated tomorrow's start with 2 donuts, some doritos, and a strawberry flavoured ale. Now I don't feel so good :(

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 05:00:57 AM »
I'm still in. I worked an extra shift this past week so my eating was pretty boring -a lot of leftovers. Starting this has been surprisingly easy compared to the last time I tried. No major cravings or sugar/carb withdrawal. I felt really tired the first couple of days, but just focused on the food and stopped working out. Now I feel I back to normal though and am working out again.
Making mayo is really easy if you have an immersion blender. I've been making it w/one for years. I remember trying to make it by hand w/a whisk before, but don't remember if it worked. The whole 30 recipes swick linked to are pretty standard way of doing it.
And since I'm on mmm - still tracking my spending...

marinara sauce, crushed tomatoes,tomato paste - $7.16
potatoes - $6.98 (6 lbs)
carrots - $0.79 (1 lb)
onions- $1.40 (1.41 lbs)
grapes - $2.14 (2.16 lbs)
watermelon - $5.99
So, I've spent $71.72 + whatever I already had at home (was not very much at all). I shouldn't have to buy anything for at least another week though -except maybe evoo. Probably more expensive than eating rice and beans, but I don't think it's too bad.

My biggest thing is just getting bored cooking/eating the same stuff so I hope to see more people posting w/ more ideas since today is officially the start date.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 08:46:04 AM »
I'm in. I wasn't quite prepared, so I had stew for breakfast. I also brought in some chicken zoodle soup for lunch, so I feel like I'm set for the rest of the day.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
The recipe for the chicken coconut curry is in the Whole30 book, but here's how I made it (which is kinda a double portion of the recipe in the book). This is one recipe where you don't have to measure the ingredients perfect. You can make it to your taste.

Sauce
4 tsp olive oil
3/4 onion, diced small
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tbls yellow curry powder
1 can stewed tomatoes (I used 4 medium fresh tomatoes from my mom's garden)
1/2 cup coconut cream (the cream, not the milk, in a can of coconut milk), put the can in the fridge for a little bit to help the cream solidify more, easier to get it out
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until clear (about 2-3 minutes). Add the minced garlic. After you smell the garlic (about 30 sec), add the curry powder. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, making sure to not let it burn. Add the tomatoes and simmer for about 3-4 minutes, until the tomatoes break down.  Pour the mixture into a blender/food processor and pulse it until somewhat smooth (I pulsed about 5 times, and there were a few little chunks). Let the mixture cool a little, and then mix in the coconut cream, salt and pepper. (I left the mixture a little warm so that the cream melted into the sauce better.)

It's great on meat, but we also put it on our veggies and baked potatoes. For using it on meat, see below:

Chicken
Preheat the grill to 500. I used legs, thighs, and breast pieces. Cover the chicken top and bottom with the sauce (marinade a few minutes).  Put the chicken on the grill with the meat side down (if you have a bone in piece like thighs) for about 3 minutes. After that, the meat should pull away from the grates pretty easy, so flip and finish cooking over indirect heat (if possible). About 10-15 minutes depending on how thick the meat is.

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2015, 09:54:07 AM »
For the person who asked about Red Boat & other sauces a few links below.   Good luck to all.  Since I just came off a W30 last week I won't join you just yet but thinking the thread will help keep bad habits in check.

My W30 Staples:
www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6ZJ1W2
www.amazon.com/dp/B00P9I8U0U
www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLW3QD4

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 10:57:41 AM »
Hullo there mom22boys. I haven't tried paleo BBQ sauce, but I'm going to encourage you to make mayonnaise like a crazed cheerleader. Mayonnaise makers are like a secret tribe, and oh man, are we smug jerkfaces. Because we know how easy mayo is, compared to how terrifying people thing it is. Please come join us! We have cake*

I really like nomnom paleo's version, which can be found here: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/paleo-mayonnaise. She has good descriptions. If you've never made an emulsion before, the key is to add the oil very, very, very slowly at first. Alton Brown has a great segment on the the science behind emulsions in his Mayonnaise episode. I can't find it on YouTube, but it might be on Netflix.

As an aside, can anyone teach me how to embed links into words, instead of having the whole link visible? I want to be one of the smart kids.

*On second thought, I guess we don't have cake. Sooooo, yeah.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 11:24:30 AM »
Hullo there mom22boys. I haven't tried paleo BBQ sauce, but I'm going to encourage you to make mayonnaise like a crazed cheerleader. Mayonnaise makers are like a secret tribe, and oh man, are we smug jerkfaces. Because we know how easy mayo is, compared to how terrifying people thing it is. Please come join us! We have cake*

I really like nomnom paleo's version, which can be found here: Paleo Mayo. She has good descriptions. If you've never made an emulsion before, the key is to add the oil very, very, very slowly at first. Alton Brown has a great segment on the the science behind emulsions in his Mayonnaise episode. I can't find it on YouTube, but it might be on Netflix.

As an aside, can anyone teach me how to embed links into words, instead of having the whole link visible? I want to be one of the smart kids.

So to make a clickable link you: Click "Insert your hyperlink" button

This will give you your url block. Add your website address in the first block (after url=) then add the text you want to show up between the blocks

It will look like this but with square brackets replacing the regular brackets.
(url=http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/paleo-mayonnaise)Paleo Mayo(/url)

PS your post was awesome, it made me laugh this morning :) I am a proud card-carrying member of the mayo-makers club :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:30:25 AM by swick »

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 11:33:49 AM »
Please come join us! We have cake*

Sailor Sam - LOL....now you have me thinking about eating cake!  But, the beauty is that the thought passed really quick.  I love Whole30 and how it helps get those temptations out of your system.  Thanks also for the nomnompaleo tip too!  What do you use for oil, avocado or the light olive oil? Or both or other? I'm really excited to try this, but I need to get the oil first.

Naomi mentioned using an immersion blender so I got one at Costco this weekend (Yes, bad for my Savetember, but health is important!). I read more blogs this weekend, and it sounds like the immersion blender can work miracles for mayo. 

Swick - Bummer about being sick!  Hope you're feeling well enough to start today. And thanks for the tip on the url.  I didn't know that either.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 11:44:30 AM »
Thinking finding breakfast stuff is going to be the most challenging. Primarily because I didn't plan that well. Best of intentions and all that.

I'm getting a delivery of duck and chicken eggs and a Turkey this afternoon. Planning on going to the store for some avocados, bananas and sweet potatoes, and some light olive oil for mayo.

I made some ratatouille out of our CSA garden veggies which I'll add some ground beef to make a stew. Maybe serve it over some cauli-rice. 

I did have a bit of success with making some Pecan Milk. By far the best soaked-nut milk I have made so far. Tasted awesome in some coffee with a bit of coconut oil.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »
I'm still in. I worked an extra shift this past week so my eating was pretty boring -a lot of leftovers.

My biggest thing is just getting bored cooking/eating the same stuff so I hope to see more people posting w/ more ideas since today is officially the start date.

Yeah Naomi!  Glad you're still sticking with it.  Last week I did a lot of leftovers too, and you know what?  That's ok! Do what you need to do to make it work. My first round in July I kept it really basic. This time I'm keeping it basic for breakfast and sometimes lunch, but trying to expand my recipe options for some slower weeknights and weekends.  This weekend I was at my parents, and I had the Whole30 book along, because I'm trying to convince them to also do this. (Mom has high BP for years and both are constantly on a 'diet'.) That's when we tried the chicken coconut curry from the book and WOW was I impressed.  The good thing....so were my parents!  I think it finally convinced them to try it, and they are going to start tomorrow.

Here are some other ideas (some of which I make and some I plan to make this round):
 - Chicken fajitas (with my own seasonings) and then eat it over romaine with guacamole
 - Beef stew
 - Chili (without the beans of course)
 - Pork chops (want to try the recipe in the Whole30 book with the walnut crust)
 - Shrimp with the same sauce from the chicken coconut curry

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 12:03:01 PM »
Yeah,  sign me up.   Won't be following the exact whole 30 but refocusing on my low carb, high nutrient focus.   No booze of course.  Reviewing the Whole 30 site now. 

Thanks for the motivation.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 01:02:47 PM »
It will look like this but with square brackets replacing the regular brackets.
(url=http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/paleo-mayonnaise)Paleo Mayo(/url)

PS your post was awesome, it made me laugh this morning :) I am a proud card-carrying member of the mayo-makers club :D

Yes! Thank you so much. Now I can insert with the best of em.

I'm glad I could bring you a moment of levity. It's wonderful to make people genuinely laugh.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2015, 01:16:22 PM »
What do you use for oil, avocado or the light olive oil? Or both or other? I'm really excited to try this, but I need to get the oil first.

I've used both, and found I vastly prefer avocado oil. I just like the taste better. But both oils work just fine for actually making the sauce.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2015, 09:25:49 PM »
So, how's it going? It's so quite here. Is everyone too busy laying on the floor and wailing to be on the interwebz?

I just finished making ranch dressing, using coconut milk. I can't eat dairy, so this has been a pantry staple for years. But it has never tasted so good as the glorious explosion of rainbow pooping unicorn that happened in my mouth today. Despite stuffing food into my maw on a regular, I'm starving. I've been starving for 2 days. And I have a headache.

Anyone feel like commiserating? If not, I'm just, you know, gonna go back to laying on the floor and wailing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:39:26 PM by Sailor Sam »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »
It's worth it just to read your updates, Sailor Sam :)

Things are going ok, I have no idea of it is whole 30 or just the fact that I am recovering from traveler's plague and the vertigo/nausia/general ick is from that. Just about hit the deck this morning.

We are finding breakfasts a challenge, hubby really likes texture and isn't big on eggs. Breakfasts are usually carby starchy goodness so it is a bit of an adjustment.

We are also not good at the whole three meal a day thing, we skipped lunch and had an early supper, so will have to eat something before bed. I'm use to lots of little meals because I have hypoglycimia...so I might have to experiment and see what actually works for me.

How is everyone else doing?

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 07:34:17 AM »
But it has never tasted so good as the glorious explosion of rainbow pooping unicorn that happened in my mouth today.

Agree Swick....I love reading Sailor Sam's posts too.  I'm not sure I've had the pleasure of 'rainbow pooping unicorn' in my mouth, but the coconut curry sauce was darn close.  I am soooo wanting to try the mayo, but living the life of a single mom makes it hard to hit the groceries whenever I want/need avocado oil to make it.  Tomorrow my boys go to their dad's so I think this will be experiment-with-new-foods weekend. Mayo (aka rainbow pooping unicorn) here I come!!!

As far as other things, it's going awesome.  Yesterday I realized how HAPPY I was!  On Monday I was a grump to the kiddos, but the last few days I just can't get the smile off my face. I'm feeling great. I've had a few times where I've felt like snacking, but then I've stepped back and realized it's just my old ugly habits rearing their heads, and I wasn't really hungry.

Swick and Sailor...hope you get over the ickies soon.  I SOOOO hate the vertigo/nausea junk.  I actually had extreme dizziness about 10 years ago, and it was the worst thing ever. The doctors could never figure out what it was (not vertigo, meneir's disease, etc). Anyway, dizziness runs in my family, and I have noticed since on the Whole30 that I don't get it anymore. LOVE THIS EATING! 

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 07:35:59 AM »
Yeah,  sign me up.   Won't be following the exact whole 30 but refocusing on my low carb, high nutrient focus.   No booze of course.  Reviewing the Whole 30 site now. 

Thanks for the motivation.

Forgot to say welcome Bob! Congrats for cutting back on the junk.  I know you said you weren't going to do the exact Whole30, but I would highly recommend it.  It's really been a life changer for me.

Naomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2015, 08:26:08 AM »
I was so annoyed/stressed out when I left work this morning. Then, I had to stop by the grocery store and wanted to buy/eat all the junk food, but did not. I came home and ate some "buffalo chicken" (home made mayo+ frank's hot sauce), green beans, potatoes, and watermelon.
I'm about to walk to the store and grab a few things and then go to bed.
Thinking about a hamburger for dinner w/ some potatoes and something green.
I don't think white potatoes were allowed the first time I tried this last year ? I hate sweet potatoes -regardless of how they're cooked. Probably why I only made it 15 days. I'm running a lot more right now and there's no way I'd be able to do it w/out the extra carbs.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »
Great to hear, Mom22boys. Sounds like there is hope. One thing hubs and I have noticed, not sure if it is normal? It's like constant hunger, you eat you go from over-full and pass right through back to hungry without ever feeling "normal"

Awesome job, Naomi! I think they let potatoes in end of 2014. Its great that you didn't give into the junkfood cravings!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2015, 09:27:08 AM »
Didn't see this thread before, but coincidentally my girlfriend and I started this on Monday.  We've been 70%-99% paleo for the past two years, so this is more of a "reset" than a vast change for us.

We made this earlier in the week, and it made enough to be a side for a few different meals: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1356598429/worlds-best-braised-green-cabbage

Last night we had salmon and steamed artichokes.

Tonight we're making this: http://vahuntergatherers.com/2012/03/05/curried-ground-pork-with-carrots-and-celery/  I've made it before and it's quite good.

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »
Naomi - Great job on staying away from the junk.  I gotta try the buffalo chicken that you mentioned, sounds amazing!

Swick - I can't say that I've had the Full - Hungry direct flip without feeling 'normal' between.  One thing I do between meals though is drink water, water, water. Have you tried that? You often hear that people often truly aren't hungry but really just thirsty. I found that to be true with me.  Of course everyone is different. :-)

Ketchup - Glad you're joining us, by accident!  That cabbage dish sounds delish.....I've just discovered Nomnompaleo.com and I love it. The biggest thing I struggle with on Whole30 is what to serve for side dishes. and getting more variety.  I better try this one, and also I just read her recipe for the riced cauliflower.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!