Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 427514 times)

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #2150 on: April 05, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »
We're on day 4 now, pretty sure. So far so good. I miss my dark chocolate squares- I would usually grab one along with brazil nuts or walnuts before the whole 30. (I always try to eat some brazil nuts after a fish meal- selenium to chelate the mercury and all that jazz.

Here's an old, fun post on whole30.com about chocolate http://whole30.com/2013/12/great-cocoa-debate/ .  I eat 100% Chocolate bars as part of my regular diet, with nuts just like you do.  I usually get Bakers brand but Ghirardelli makes one too.  They're almost entirely fat, are very bitter, and pack a good portion of anti-oxidants.  It is VERY hard to over eat this stuff as it tends to stick to the roof of the mouth if you eat too much.  Might be worth buying a bar to check out.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2151 on: April 06, 2017, 10:36:30 AM »
We're on day 4 now, pretty sure. So far so good. I miss my dark chocolate squares- I would usually grab one along with brazil nuts or walnuts before the whole 30. (I always try to eat some brazil nuts after a fish meal- selenium to chelate the mercury and all that jazz.

Here's an old, fun post on whole30.com about chocolate http://whole30.com/2013/12/great-cocoa-debate/ .  I eat 100% Chocolate bars as part of my regular diet, with nuts just like you do.  I usually get Bakers brand but Ghirardelli makes one too.  They're almost entirely fat, are very bitter, and pack a good portion of anti-oxidants.  It is VERY hard to over eat this stuff as it tends to stick to the roof of the mouth if you eat too much.  Might be worth buying a bar to check out.
I eat 100% Baker's chocolate routinely too.  My co-workers think I'm crazy.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2152 on: April 06, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »
Bracken: I might try those egg cups.  I've made an 18-egg frittata a couple times, but. 9x13 pan of eggs takes forever to cook.  The muffin tin thing looks like a good variant.

I have silicone muffin liners which are reusable and just wonderful. Otherwise if the eggs stick it's a nightmare. Foil cups also work pretty well, but I've found regular muffin liners, and/or just greasing the pan, to be a messy proposition. You're forewarned =P

I eat 100% Baker's chocolate routinely too.  My co-workers think I'm crazy.

I'll definitely look into this. We've been doing the "dark chocolate lover's" by trader joe's, it's 85%, but it's got soy lecithin in it. No bueno =(

Reading that, though, since we're not "carb addicted choco-holics", I think we'd be fine. We've gone for *years* just have 1 or 2 of those tiny TJ's squares every day. I have literally never binged on chocolate (as an adult). Sweet tooth/sugar dragon isn't my issue at all, and isn't why I'm doing the whole 30. It's funny, because I didn't even think about cocoa powder possibly being verboten. I used it to make a "psuedo mocha" to replace my usual homemade dairy calorie-bomb I drink on the way to work, to hold me over in case the shift is the apocalypse incarnate, haha.

Dang, I was just at the grocery store, shoulda picked up 100% chocolate then. I can eat more nuts if I do it with chocolate. And for me that's a good thing, haha, I sometimes struggle to get enough calories given my activity level and height.

Oh, and update: still going well, DH didn't have to break his streak yesterday since the work dinner was cancelled. HOWEVER. I noticed that there's sulfites in our lemon juice >.< Which I've been using in all sorts of dressings and chimichurri and such. Picked up fresh lemons today, but just... ugh, not sure how to proceed.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2153 on: April 06, 2017, 07:50:07 PM »
Day 16 was a big UGH!  Compliant but not template due to being away.

M1: hard boiled eggs and banana from bfast bar.  Nothing else compliant
M2: ordered in for meeting, salad with chicken and oil/vinegar dressing.
M3: well, since they booked me in a hotel not in walking distance of anything edible (plus it's rainy and windy and 36 degrees), I faced a 7:30 pm choice of taking an Uber to a restaurant and hassling with finding something compliant or eating what I had stashed for my early pre-flight breakfast for tomorrow.  So dinner was 3 hardboiled eggs, a banana, and the last of my emergency nut stash.

Blech.

Did I mention I had a 3rd trip just added to my schedule during W30?  Fortunately this one is to a city where I can stay with a sister and control what I eat. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2154 on: April 07, 2017, 04:11:31 AM »
@Weedy Acres -- just wanted to say I admire your strength.  Traveling on the W30 is HARD. 

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2155 on: April 09, 2017, 04:42:06 AM »
Weedy Acres - I agree with Trifele. I can't imagine traveling on this. Amazing job!

Update: day 29 / 19 for me. Tomorrow is my blood test if I get my act together before I have a sip of coffee (need to fast) otherwise it can be Tuesdsy or Wednesday. I stepped on scale this morning (my first time this month). Weighing 137.2 or 137.4 (I don't remember), so I did lose about 5-6 lbs, without exercising other than walks around neighborhood. I definitely have aversion to eggs that seemed to strengthen throughout the month. :0(   I have been feeling better once I just avoided eggs. The last few days have been tough, but thankfully I have my blood test to keep me motivated. I miss my life with eggs - homemade mayo, hardboiled eggs, egg this, egg that. So delicious! Oh well.  What's weird is that I am thinking a bit about sugary cupcakes and such, but really I want a SANDWICH with some really thick crusty chewy fancy bread, red leaf lettuce, tomato, and turkey.

The good news is that I think that I would splurge on it, not in my own kitchen (I make a GREAT) bread, but at one of those artsy craft kitchen type places. This is a big change for me to wait to have this decadence ONLY if it is the real deal and exactly what I want, rather than a thoughtless, mindless snack. Huge win!

I don't think I will make it to the full 30 after my MSG issue (so no day 40 / 30) because of Easter. My local pasture had an Easter ham order and it has sugar in the ingredients. I ordered it anyway. But it is nitrate free, free range, pasture, himalayan salt, etc.   So I might have "indulgent" Easter but be back on Whole 30 lifestyle the next day. I am calling it good enough if I keep my changes up. Otherwise, I will redo another Whole30 after our trip to FL. But I foresee, assuming my blood work concurs, continuing like this. I generally want to stay away from sugar...it is a slippery slope for me and bananas taste plenty sweet.

I still have no Tiger blood, but I have read that people get it after Whole 30 if they had poor diets. What is great that other than when I am HUNGRY (like my stomach growling hungry), I don't really think about food. I feel more even keeled. My sleep makes so much more of a difference on Whole30. Yesterday, I slept poorly and was kind of headachy all day. Last night, I got exactly 8 perfect hours of sleep and I expect to feel great today. Coffee midday is generally too much caffeine for my system now (I get sort of shaky). So I am seeing changes like that.

My doctor's appointment is next week, so I can't wait for my blood test results. He was very concerned when I last saw him with my blood work, so I will definitely post back on if this Whole 30 made a difference in my blood work.

Sorry I have not posted much as I have been busy with life and refinancing our mortgage (we are kind of officially FI once the funds settle on Wednesday! Woo hoo!). I think of you guys! Thank you so much for everything.

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2156 on: April 09, 2017, 05:43:36 AM »
Wow, Weedy Acres!  You're doing so well!!  I'm craving beans, believe it or not!  I just got some great grass fed ground beef and I fantasized about making chili with two cans of beans.  How sad is that?  I can't wait to add them back into my diet and see what happens.  I'm on Day 40 - five to go!! 

After my W45 ends, I want to continue to stay off dairy and keep my alcohol and sugar consumption low.  It's so great to have this community here as a place to vent and keep things in check.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2157 on: April 09, 2017, 06:40:26 AM »
So great to see the updates! Nottolate, congrats on the impending FI too! That is super awesome. And Weedy Acres, I'll +1 the awe at W30 while traveling. I'm gone for 12 hours today, and *should* be given a compliant lunch (baby shower, mom has done a whole30 and is doing whole30 'rules' now that she has gestational diabetes- and she is hitting incredible blood sugar #s! Her doc says she's one of the most controlled they've ever seen, and they downgraded her from weekly appointments- woo W30! Anyway, so she said she's planning W30 compliant food for both of us <3). Even with that short of a trip and 1 meal provided I've still been scrambling with the food prep!

Update for me: We started last Sunday, and we're on Sunday again. First the 'failure'. Yesterday I was out with DH and stuck in a waiting room and got super nauseous (happens sometimes early in the day, esp if I couldn't get through enough breakfast) and so I grabbed my emergency Larabar- forgot I hadn't swapped it in my purse for a compliant one. It was one of the coconut chocolate chip ones, so it had some added sugar. I'm not too fussed about it to be honest. I wasn't craving the chocolate and went for it because of that- it was just what I happened to have as my 'emergency food protocol'. No rebound sugar cravings later in the day or anything like that.
Now the 'success'. I had only committed to one week without rice, in case it was just too hard to plan around the carbs thing. Luckily, I found the miracle of little red potatoes. These puppies are 25g carbs apiece, and I can easily eat 3 at a meal- so roughly what I was getting with rice. So I've been doing those with one meal per day, generally dinner, and usually a higher fat/lower carb salad for lunch, and with fruit as my mid-day mini-meal (sometimes with almond butter, or with nuts). Blood sugar seems to be doing well, and it's not too hard to plan meals around them, so I'll probably stick to the 'no rice' plan. I decided to skip my run yesterday though, since I'll be in the car for so long today- I didn't want to get super stiff and miserable. But yesterday DH and I did help my BIL move, and we were totally fine the whole time- no issues moving big heavy stuff. I'm super grateful we haven't hit any of the crappy feelings, exhaustion, any of that. I guess because it hasn't been a radical departure from our usual? I don't know. Either that or it will slay me next week ;) Stay tuned.

Really glad you guys are here. I really appreciate this thread.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2158 on: April 09, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
I got back from my travels last Friday and devoured a huge plate of leftover ratatouille and spaghetti squash.  I felt malnourished from my trip. 

Days 17-19 have been same old same old.  I decided to cut out nuts for a few days just to see if it made a difference.  On the forums they often tell people to cut out nuts if they feel bloated.  I wasn't particularly bloated, just decided to do a small experiment.  No difference.  Still not pooping as regularly as before.  But still that's the only difference physically I've felt since starting this.  No crashes, no tiger blood, no better sleep. 

I've always said I had an iron gut...maybe it's really true.  Maybe tiger blood is my natural state and I didn't realize it.  Hmmm.  In any case I guess re-intro will really tell.

I do miss bread.  And popcorn.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2159 on: April 10, 2017, 03:47:20 AM »
that's the only difference physically I've felt since starting this.  No crashes, no tiger blood, no better sleep. 

I've always said I had an iron gut...maybe it's really true.  Maybe tiger blood is my natural state and I didn't realize it.  Hmmm.  In any case I guess re-intro will really tell.

I do miss bread.  And popcorn.

I'm with you WeedyAcres.   I just got Day 24 of the W30/AIP in the bag, and I am concluding that tiger blood is my natural state, and these last 3+ weeks have been a very painful experiment.   Cannot wait to start re-introduction... Hoping I learn lots of things.  Though I  am afraid that I may be about to say goodbye forever to some old friends, like tomatoes . . . [sob!].   My favorite food of all is tomatoes (see avatar and forum name -- that's a delicious tomato variety). 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2160 on: April 11, 2017, 12:38:53 AM »
Watching Forks Over Knives on Netflix this weekend to support my Whole30 wellness program. Any other food/health movie recommendations (I watch while on treadmill)?
Heh, Forks Over Knives isn't exactly compatible with the Whole30 ethos, but it can always be good to seek out differing opinions.

I don't know if its on Netflix, but "That Sugar Film" is excellent!

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2161 on: April 11, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
Trifele: I hope you don't have to give up your tomatoes!  What makes you think they're the culprit?

Days 19 and 20 are checked off the list.  The timeline says this is when food boredom sets in, but I don't have that issue.  In fact I've got pork chops and a roast waiting their turn in the fridge to be cooked, and I'm going to try homemade sausage tomorrow.

Of course I haven't had weird food dreams either. 

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2162 on: April 11, 2017, 08:15:10 PM »
Made it through Whole30! Blood taken this morning for next week's appointment. Today was day 31 and I didn't eat a single sweet or beer or wine. I was ok - eating food for fuel. Success!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2163 on: April 12, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »
Made it through Whole30! Blood taken this morning for next week's appointment. Today was day 31 and I didn't eat a single sweet or beer or wine. I was ok - eating food for fuel. Success!

Woohoo!! You made it =) Good job.

Upcoming challenge for us: easter dinner. In-laws want to go out. They always make it a Huge Thing if we are doing anything with our eating, and poor husband hears about it for *weeks* afterwards. (I think because he was pretty overweight when we got together, and now he is in incredible shape, and they see it as rejecting their 'food culture' (aka restaurants and kraft mac n cheese) plus I think that they think that we think we're bette than them.) Anyway, the restaurant is some fancy italian place, so I feel like odds of 'sneaking in' a compliant meal are pretty non-existant. DH and I are talking about just giving up for that meal and resetting the Whole30 counter. We're not having any problems eating this way- in fact, DH is a huge fan. Wants to get up to 4 different week's meal plans so we can keep most of this long term. Personally, I just want rice and half and half for my coffee back ;) Everything else I'm fine with as a baseline.

Resetting the counter could be a good idea anyway, considering I almost certainly 'failed' on Sunday at the baby shower, particularly with the diary elimination- pretty sure the frittatas were done with butter, not ghee. And I did have a canker sore the next day and an acne flare- not sure if that was from the food, or the stress related to going to a baby shower when you haven't been able to conceive for almost a year and 10 hours of driving to do it, lol.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2164 on: April 13, 2017, 08:21:38 PM »
Congrats nottolate!!  What's your plan for re-intro?

Bracken: people who "insist" on making me do something I don't want typically make me dig my heels in, not cave.  Why should you accommodate them?  Can you offer to cook instead, and make a fabulous compliant Easter spread?

I'm done with days 21 & 22.  I decided to completely eliminate fruit for 5 days, just to see if it changed anything.  I've been eating above the W30 RDA because I love fruit.  Of course, day 1 of this I find huge pineapples on sale for $1.99.  Bought a couple to ripen on the counter.  They'll keep till 5 days are up.  :-)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #2165 on: April 14, 2017, 07:46:42 AM »
If it's a *truly* fancy Italian place, they should be able to make you compliant food, no problem. Those restaurants are often my go-tos for safe gluten-free food. It doesn't all have to be pasta and cream sauces. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2166 on: April 14, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
Congrats nottolate!!  What's your plan for re-intro?

Bracken: people who "insist" on making me do something I don't want typically make me dig my heels in, not cave.  Why should you accommodate them?  Can you offer to cook instead, and make a fabulous compliant Easter spread?

I'm done with days 21 & 22.  I decided to completely eliminate fruit for 5 days, just to see if it changed anything.  I've been eating above the W30 RDA because I love fruit.  Of course, day 1 of this I find huge pineapples on sale for $1.99.  Bought a couple to ripen on the counter.  They'll keep till 5 days are up.  :-)

So are you day 2 of the fruit elimination? I'm curious how that goes for you!

Re: easter dinner. It's a 'pick my battles' situation. I don't have a great relationship with my in-laws really, we are all just *very* different people. But DH works for the family business, so playing nice is kinda a requirement upon occasion. They don't live near us anymore, so we haven't seen MIL in a couple months. They're just over for the afternoon, and MIL really wants to take the whole family out to Fancy Restaurant.

Added bonus is this keeps my very destructive druggy BIL out of our home. When we hosted Christmas, he brought people we didn't know, they all reeked of cigarette smoke, and then he passed out on the couch. So NOT hosting is actually pretty awesome for Easter.

So anyway, having to reset the timer after 2 weeks is preferable to the actual hosting, and saves months of rude, weird, passive aggressive, and inappropriate questions and comments.

Anyway, we're on day 13 I'm pretty sure. So far so good. I made a second meal plan and accompanying grocery list, so we'll rotate our plan for next week. I *did* talk to Friend who's baby shower it was. The frittatas were not made with butter, but the pans were greased with Pam. That's mainly canola oil (fine), but has soy lecitihin. I know I have issues with soy, so *maybe* that was the cause of the canker sore/acne flare? Or, like I said, could have just been stress, hard to say.

We eat a lot of potatoes on whole30 =P We're half way through our second 10lb bag, plus a couple sweet potatoes (I don't mind them in pork egg cups), so that means we do more than a pound of potatoes each day. (3-4 small red potatoes each per day is what that works out to). It's really interesting, I have found I have a major mental hangup about potatoes. Rice never equaled unhealthy to me. But potatoes equal unhealthy, because potato chips and french fries and all these things I avoid. Anyway, it's just really interesting, because white rice generally has a higher glycemic index than white potatoes (although apparently it depends on the person pretty significantly). Definitely a bias I noticed in myself.

Re: activity. I've still been doing well on my runs. I just finished week 9 of the couch to 10k, so 4 cycles of 10min run, 1 min walk. As usual, I am ravenous after my runs, but the potatoes seem to do a good job of getting me the carbs I'm craving.

If it's a *truly* fancy Italian place, they should be able to make you compliant food, no problem. Those restaurants are often my go-tos for safe gluten-free food. It doesn't all have to be pasta and cream sauces. :)

It still involves asking for modifications in front of my in-laws, which is what I want to avoid.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2167 on: April 15, 2017, 08:19:04 PM »
Days 23 & 24 are in the bag.  And day 4 of no fruit.  Digestion isn't any different, but I'm feeling a bit irritable today, and wonder, looking at the W30 timeline if I've triggered my "kill all the things."  Like there wasn't an initial sugar withdrawal because I don't eat that much, but my equivalent is fruit.  There could be other reasons (stress) for my being irritable, so I'm not going to chalk it up to fruit quite yet.  But it's something to think about.

I've also been low energy for a couple days.  I planted 45 berry bushes and I just was not moving very fast.  Again, don't know if it's food related, but there it is.  I am eating template, with varied veggies, and including starchy stuff (white and sweet potatoes) so the only thing different is the fruit.

I'm getting on a plane tomorrow for yet another quick trip.  I warned my sister that I'm eating clean, so I may be cooking my own meals on the side.  But at least I won't have eating out to figure out.

Good luck with Easter, Bracken!

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2168 on: April 16, 2017, 05:10:37 AM »
Bracken - can you let them know you are monitoring things because of doctor's orders? Or you have upcoming bloodwork? That worked for me (but I actually did have blood tests coming up). Would that help with ordering? I found that people were more accomdating if they knew it was for bloodwork vs some "fad diet", if that makes sense. Good luck. My MIL watches food like a hawk and makes comments.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2169 on: April 16, 2017, 06:03:36 AM »
Done with the "ultra" AIP!!  What a month. Although this last week has been much easier, and I feel better.  I even went running yesterday, first time in a month and it felt ok.

It turned out to be easier for me not to even try to make recipes or anything with my 10 items. I actually pared down the list, and for the past two weeks have only eaten five things.  I pretty much ate the same thing every meal, and that made it easier mentally. 

Reintroduction is going to be in order of things I feel like will probably be ok -- grains, dairy.   Then start on the things I am pretty sure are going to be problems -- tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, berries.   Eggs I am not sure.  Probably do those in the middle.   

Thanks for the support everyone.  Congrats to you too Nottoolate!     

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2170 on: April 16, 2017, 07:49:36 AM »
Bracken - can you let them know you are monitoring things because of doctor's orders? Or you have upcoming bloodwork? That worked for me (but I actually did have blood tests coming up). Would that help with ordering? I found that people were more accomdating if they knew it was for bloodwork vs some "fad diet", if that makes sense. Good luck. My MIL watches food like a hawk and makes comments.

Nope. I've tried this before. MIL is really health illiterate, and I'm a nurse. She gets drunk, keeps trying to ask me questions about my health (super super prying type things) then that turns into 'you shouldn't have kids' or 'when are you having kids' or 'will my grandkids be #$*#*ed up too' type comments. Definitely not worth it.

We broke the whole30 on our own terms yesterday by going and getting a drink with my BIL. Will restart tomorrow.

I appreciate everyone's attempts, but this isn't something I need advice on fixing. Doing the whole30 is much, much easier than giving my MIL easy ammo. We're just going to restart the whole30. It's a bit annoying, but not the end of the world. Some battles just aren't worth it.

Done with the "ultra" AIP!!  What a month. Although this last week has been much easier, and I feel better.  I even went running yesterday, first time in a month and it felt ok.

It turned out to be easier for me not to even try to make recipes or anything with my 10 items. I actually pared down the list, and for the past two weeks have only eaten five things.  I pretty much ate the same thing every meal, and that made it easier mentally. 

Reintroduction is going to be in order of things I feel like will probably be ok -- grains, dairy.   Then start on the things I am pretty sure are going to be problems -- tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, berries.   Eggs I am not sure.  Probably do those in the middle.   

Thanks for the support everyone.  Congrats to you too Nottoolate!     

Wow, I'm glad you could thrive on such a reduced menu! That's awesome. I always admire people who can do that. Out of curiosity, what have you been eating?

Good luck with your reintro! And good job!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2171 on: April 16, 2017, 02:07:02 PM »
@Bracken_Joy -- for the past two weeks I have eaten only bacon, sweet potatoes, spinach, bananas, and mushrooms.   And I drank coffee.   I think "thrive" is too strong a word,:), but I am still here. And will slowly build back up.   Good luck to you!

jordanread

« Reply #2172 on: April 16, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
[...] for the past two weeks I have eaten only bacon [...]   I think "thrive" is too strong weak a word,:)[...]

FTFY

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2173 on: April 17, 2017, 08:08:27 AM »
Well, Easter dinner was every bit as nutritionally and emotionally terrible as I expected. Back to the whole30.

Day 14/1, started.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2174 on: April 17, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »
Day 27 is done, and day 6 of no fruit.  Really good church yesterday made me lose the irritability, so I guess it wasn't the diet.  :-). I'll probably take it one more day to make it a full week and then pork on the pineapple waiting for me on the counter at home.

Easy peasy to eat W30 while here.  And I'm still feeling the same.  The tough part will be the airport travel home, as it's about 12 hrs from door to door.  I'll have emergency carrots and nuts with me, and will try and find decent food in airports.

Bracken: congrats for surviving the Easter dinner with the in laws.

Trifele: how's the re-intro going?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2175 on: April 18, 2017, 04:52:31 AM »

Trifele: how's the re-intro going?

Going well thanks!  I did dairy first, and I don't notice anything yet.  No symptoms.   Not sure how "kosher" this is, but I am doing a quicker reintro with the things I am pretty sure are fine -- one day on, two days off.  With the other things I am doing a slower reintro -- two days on, three days off.   

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2176 on: April 19, 2017, 07:33:05 AM »
Congrats, Trifele!

Bracken - you know what is best for you and your interaction with MIL.

Weedy - I hope your travel goes well. You win prize for most difficult time staying W30 compliant

Update:
BLOOD TESTS ARE IN!!!!!!

Drum roll please. I previously had 2 other tests done in Dec 2014 and June 2015 - so about 2 yrs ago. Last week's blood work was day 30 or 31 of whole 30, I forget off top of my head.

Previously total cholesterol was 208 and 226, respectively. Results last week: 192. I am no longer considered high! Note that I have family history of high cholesterol, which is what prompted me to do W30 and knowing that I had bloodwork tests is what kept me going when I felt like giving up on W30 when I was not feeling well or boredom of W30. W

LDL previously "calculated": 133 and 133, respectively. Last week 119. Google says "calculated" LDL is based on total and HDL cholesterol and triglycerides. So a 10% decrease

HDL previously: 56 and 68, respectively. Last week: 61

Non HDL Chol: 152 and 158, respectively. Last week: 131

Cholesterol ratio to HDL: previously 4 and 3, respectively. Last week, stayed at 3

Trigylecrides (sp): previously 93 and 125. Last week: 59! About cut in half.

All in all, moved in right direction! It was only 30 days, so I would hope to see even better results after 60 days, 120 days, 180 days, etc. Plus, other than walking for errands, I did no exercise (my usual) so this was entirely diet driven.

What's funny is that my favorite W30 food is probably ground beef and I consumed a lot of red meat. Doctor commented that my low trigylcerides meant that I was not eating a lot of fatty foods....hehehe.

Hope this helps others! I am super pumped!

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2177 on: April 19, 2017, 08:51:09 PM »
Trifele: my understanding of reintro is that the main thing is that you're doing a controlled experiment, so some 2 days apart and some 5 days apart doesn't make a lick of difference as long as you're eating W30 in between.  I think your approach is a sane one.

Awesome test results, nottolate!  That's a good reminder for me that I need to do an "after" on mine too.

Which will be FRIDAY!!  I've just got one more day to go.  I have to admit that I'm ready to be done.  It's tiring to stay on plan when you can't cook for yourself.  I'll do a summary of my stuff after I weigh and measure and blood test.  And I am curious on the results of reintro, though not expecting much since I didn't really feel different.

I am back on fruit again.  My body thanked me.  :-)

thatgirlwholaughs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2178 on: April 20, 2017, 03:04:31 AM »
I want to start a series. Anyone else?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2179 on: April 20, 2017, 04:13:19 AM »
Quick question -- So I just did my first reintro (dairy) with no problems.  Do I leave dairy in as I move on to the second one?  Or drop it again?  Thanks!

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2180 on: April 20, 2017, 06:03:21 AM »
Quick question -- So I just did my first reintro (dairy) with no problems.  Do I leave dairy in as I move on to the second one?  Or drop it again?  Thanks!

You drop it.  Each reintro is strict W30 + the one item or food group you're testing.  That's why you wait a couple days between them.  To get "clean" again.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2181 on: April 20, 2017, 07:10:34 AM »

You drop it.  Each reintro is strict W30 + the one item or food group you're testing.  That's why you wait a couple days between them.  To get "clean" again.

Got it.  Thanks! 

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2182 on: April 22, 2017, 09:57:28 AM »
Woo hoo, finished my 30 days!  Dove into a big chocolate cake with thick icing.  NOT  (just kidding).

Results:
Lost 6 lbs, 1.5" on my waist and 1/2" on most of my other measurements.  Happy with that, as belly's slightly less rounded.  Still have more to go there (~10-15 lbs).

Body fat down from 30% to 27.7%.

Cholesterol (I did fasting blood test yesterday):
Measure                 Before         After            Good/Normal
Triglycerides            83              52                0-149
HDL                       71               81                >39
VLDL                      17              10                 5-40
LDL                       142             139               0-99
Total                      230             230              100-199

So I rocked it on dropping my triglycerides & VLDL (related), and bumped up my HDL, all good.  But my LDL is still pretty stubborn, keeping my total cholesterol in the high range.  There's a genetic component to that in my family, but I still want to figure out how low I can get it with diet.

NSVs:  other than cholesterol, zip, nada, none.  Just one anti-NSV, that of more irregular BMs.  No tiger blood (guess I already have good energy), no better sleeping (still wake up once/night), no reduction in hot flashes (not too bad, but recurring). 

So I've moved on to re-intro.  Picked dairy yesterday.  Put cheese on my M1 egg/veggie/sausage scramble.  No impact.  Had a yogurt with M2 and had a short-lived, very mild headache, but that could have been because the yogurt had been in my fridge for over a month and it didn't really "go" with my lunch, I just forced the dairy to do the re-intro.  May test that again.  Then for M3 mashed potatoes with butter, sour cream, and milk.  No noticeable impact, but pooped normal this morning.  So maybe lack of dairy was messing up my elimination.  We'll see. 

Mr. Weedy, who's been on-again off-again on W30 (eats what I make when home, eats junk when he travels) drank a much-missed glass of milk with dinner and had a big stomach gurgle an hour later.  He also said he ate McD yesterday and had bad diarrhea, so commented "I can't eat McD anymore."  Since he hasn't been real compliant, I don't know that his assessment is accurate, but if that'll get him to knock off the junk, so be it. He also said he's down to his smallest belt hole. And he's not a big guy.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2183 on: April 22, 2017, 10:19:48 AM »
Great number improvements, Weedy! It's interesting, I've always heard 'increase your HDL with exercise, decrease your LDL with diet' as a basic rule, but it looks like your body doesn't follow that! And thanks for detailing your re-intro, you so rarely see that written about online.

We're plugging away. Let's see, day... 6 of our restart. So like 22/6 I guess then? Something like that.

Today will be an interest test though, having friends by and going out to the march for science, so hoping we stick to the plan. We'll make dinner for our friends after, is the game plan. For anyone curious, I posted a couple of our meal plans on my journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/roughest-mustachian-on-the-nicest-block/msg1520862/#msg1520862

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2184 on: April 23, 2017, 07:57:59 PM »
I re-intro'd gluten today.
M1: waffles.  No problems.  Side note: our traditional Sunday breakfast is waffles with peaches or strawberries, ice cream, and melted chocolate.  I've sorely missed them this past month.  But I stayed true to the single-category re-intro.  Next week we'll do the whole thing.

M2: had pasta salad alongside our burgers and sweet potatoes.  Had a handful of grapes at the end, and it think that combo gave me a bout of diarrhea.  :-(

M3: had a slice of toast with clarified butter.  About an hour later had a mild, short-lived headache.  Perhaps too much gluten in the day?

I feel a bit like I'm forcing more of the re-intro'd food than I'd normally eat.  Kind of like the yogurt for lunch a couple days ago.  They say to do the food at all 3 meals.  Is that to be a bit extreme so you make sure to push the limits?  I contemplated the slow roll, one food at a time, because it's more like I'd probably have the food, but I don't want to wait forever to have my waffles & ice cream back.  Or to have to endure another 100% compliant travel, which I've got coming up in another week.

So I guess I'll plow ahead.  I should say I've also let trace sugar back in. Like the burger seasoning had some dextrose in it.  Nothing major yet.

Trifele: any new discoveries with your re-intro?  Have you tested tomatoes yet?

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #2185 on: April 23, 2017, 11:54:07 PM »
Hey All...
I keep telling myself that Im starting another W30, but then I blow it, cant even get one day in. Ive really got to just do it. I think overall, my meal choices are good, its snacking that gets me. Cravings. Tomorrow is Monday, and Im going to do some bulk cooking to have things ready to grab and make meals easier. Ill report back soon! Wish me luck :)

N

(havent been on the thread for a while. as a recap: did my first W30 in September '16, did a second one a couple months later. have been off and on compliant since. Have lost around 46 lbs since last fall. Still have significant amount of weight I would like to lose, but also I do have physical reactions to foods, and the w30 makes me feel great.)

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #2186 on: April 25, 2017, 11:43:13 PM »
So, Im doing w30, with  an exception, I allow myself corn chips. I dont binge on them and I love them with guacamole which is very filling for me. But I completed 2 days! yay!

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2187 on: April 26, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
Non gluten grains came back today. 
M1: had oatmeal, plus a couple eggs+spinach to try and maintain a template-ish meal.
M2: tortilla chips and salsa as a side dish.
M3: made some yummy pecan rice to go with my steak and Brussels sprouts.

No noticeable physical impact.  So I guess I'm ok with corn, oats and rice.

I'm trying to figure out if you add something back in, what does it push off your plate?  Does anyone know?

N: I love the chips with fresh salsa or guac too.  Some people dip veggies instead of chips.  Have you tried that?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2188 on: April 26, 2017, 07:07:07 PM »
Still plugging along over here! Was hoping my nose stuffiness would have gone away by now, since I would be at nearly 30 days if we hadn't reset over Easter. Ah well, still chugging along. I do think I'll have a very hard time with the no alcohol if I'm not pregnant again this cycle. A commiseration glass of wine or whiskey has really been my big silver lining to this whole crapshoot so far.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2189 on: April 27, 2017, 03:34:38 AM »
Reintroductions going well.  Dairy was fine, non-gluten grains fine, avocado fine -- no symptoms. 

Wheat didn't produce any of the allergy symptoms I'd been having (hives, red itchy skin and eyes) but it made me feel bloated and a little crappy.  Lesson -- either eliminate or eat very little wheat.  Body does not like it somehow.  I'm fine with that -- I can live without it. 

Starting on eggs today.  Very curious about this one. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2190 on: April 29, 2017, 05:44:45 AM »
Whoa Nellie!  Had my first interesting result on the re-intros.  Eggs are a big problem.   No itching/hives, but I got fairly severe nausea, general feelings of sickness.  Crystal clear message from my body that I should not be eating those. 

WTH?  I have always eaten eggs and how could I not know this?   

This is a bummer, as I relied on eggs for cheap healthy protein (we have our own chickens!), but I am very glad to know it.  Eggs are now out for good.  The W30 AIP has been worth it just for this one result alone.   

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2191 on: April 29, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
Whoa Nellie!  Had my first interesting result on the re-intros.  Eggs are a big problem.   No itching/hives, but I got fairly severe nausea, general feelings of sickness.  Crystal clear message from my body that I should not be eating those. 

This is a bummer, as I relied on eggs for cheap healthy protein (we have our own chickens!), but I am very glad to know it.  Eggs are now out for good.  The W30 AIP has been worth it just for this one result alone.

WOW. Glad you got an answer! Even if it's *really* not a fun one. =( But hey, actionable! That's awesome.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2192 on: April 29, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
That's wild, Trifele!  But I've read tales of others with surprise learnings, so you're not the only one.

I re-intro'd legumes today.  Had a handful of "clean" peanuts at breakfast and felt a tad headachy all morning.  Ate some veggies with hummus at lunch and it got worse, plus I had some stomach gurgling.  I decided to hold off on black beans with dinner so I can get back to feeling normal first.  I don't eat many legumes other than peanuts so I don't much care if I never eat chickpeas again.  But it was unexpected.

So technically my re-intro is done.  I want to test a few more things, though. My "further investigation" list is:
Bread
Peanuts/peanut butter
Black beans

I want to try them in a more normal setting, as I'd typically eat them, rather than forced into 3 meals.  I'm going to go ahead and let dairy and non gluten grains back in to regular rotation, and test the others again.

I'm also curious about soy, so will probably cook my eggs in soybean oil sometime next week.

I do know that sugar gives me headaches (knew before W30) especially in more concentrated forms.  I ate a single bite of going-away cake last week and felt headachy.  And it wasn't that great tasting, so not worth it.

I'm traveling yet again next week, and my plan is to eat template-ish, no desserts or sweets, and without worrying about oils used or trace sugar in ingredients.

I am putting ice cream on my waffles tomorrow morning.  :-)))))

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2193 on: April 30, 2017, 03:44:39 AM »

I am putting ice cream on my waffles tomorrow morning.  :-)))))

Congrats on nearing the end Weedy Acres, and I like how you eat breakfast.  :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2194 on: April 30, 2017, 06:08:07 AM »

WOW. Glad you got an answer! Even if it's *really* not a fun one. =( But hey, actionable! That's awesome.

Thanks, Bracken_Joy -- I agree.  Better to know and deal with it! 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2195 on: April 30, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »
Guys. I got dairy'd =(

Neighbors invited us over for a game night, as they were having some friends over. Husband talked to me ahead of time and we decided he was going to go off whole30 and have a beer. He was only ever doing it to support me, and really wanted the beer+social outlet. (They've bonded over beer in the past, and we rightly guessed that neighbor would have gotten a special beer for him to try).

Anyway, we didn't realize once stuff got pulled of the grill we would all sit down and eat together. And since I was playing with hostess' kiddo, she made me a plate. And a glass of wine. And she so, so sweetly didn't get any grains, and there was no soy.... but she forgot about the dairy and TBH I just wasn't going to mention it. She was being so kind and we're *really* trying to nurture this friendship.

I know, fundamentally, that's all excuses. And it's absurd really, since dairy was my main question mark going into the whole30. So far I feel fine. (It was a fair bit of dairy though- like, a cream sauce for the asparagus and meat, and lots of cream and butter on the asparagus. And then a glass of red wine. Again, I wasn't going to reject it- it was a local Pinot that they saved from their wedding from the vineyard where they got married to open for the party).

Maybe my view will change as time goes on, but as it stands right now, I can't picture doing a SECOND half way restart in a row. I think I might just finish out this w30 like nothing happened, and give it a break. That'll still mean like 40-45 days of whole 30 with 2 disturbances. I imagine we'll come back and try for a perfect one at some point, but I'm running out of steam for heavy avoidance. As you can see, things like dinner parties I don't do well with haha. And that's normally our approach- we do great at home, and one on one with friends, but larger groups and families we just normally don't fuss about it.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #2196 on: May 07, 2017, 07:12:54 AM »
How is everyone doing? 
@Trifele: any more findings on the re-intro front?
@Bracken: I'm sure you can still learn stuff from an imperfect W30.  I think the biggest potential downside is that your gut doesn't completely heal if it has been ailing you, because you interrupt the healing.  So it's better to do a mostly W30 than none at all.
@N: are you still with us?

I've allowed dairy and non gluten grains back in whenever they want, and am doing a slow roll on other specific things.  I traveled this week again, so had some conference food and restaurant food. 

I ate a template Chinese meal: roast pork and choi sam (leafy green) and had some post nasal drip afterwards (needed to clear throat, blow nose) I believe from the soy.  I want to test it one more time at home, cooking something in soybean oil, and if confirmed I'll probably avoid cooking with it anymore.  It's not a huge inconvenience, so I won't be Nazi about it when eating out, but it's a good example of how re-intro helps you ID "less healthy" stuff and decide how to handle it.

I've also eaten a few more breads (roll with lunch, Panera bread with dinner) and been fine, though I think it makes my belly swell a bit.  I'm going to do some more experiments with gluten to nail it down. And then decide how often to eat it.

And legumes, the one thing that definitely gave me a negative experience....we had a reception that included chickpea hummus, white bean hummus, and some mini pastries with black beans and avocado.  I avoided the chickpeas, had small servings of the 2 bean things and felt a mild response.  I still plan to test black beans and peanuts separately, from a clean eating standpoint.  Maybe later this week, since I'm not traveling.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2197 on: May 07, 2017, 08:46:42 AM »
Husband and I had a conversation, and decided to just start our re-intro. While I am bummed about our 2 failures (easter weekend, the neighbor's BBQ), we did start April 2nd, and so have been going a long time! We opted to try alcohol first, since we missed it, and neither of us have had any fallout from wine, cider, or whiskey. Night before last we did rice. I did well, overshare:
Spoiler: show
it actually seemed to firm up my BM a bit the next day, which is the right direction for me
, although husband felt a bit bloated the next day which was unexpected. We're going to test again with the rice. We will do corn separate, since I'm pretty sure I have issues with corn. (My popcorn, nooooooo... what will I say to my air popper?!). We're going to do dairy as the very last thing, so I have as much time off it as possible before trying to reintro. Frankly, I won't bother with a controlled intro of soy for me. I know I have issues with it, BIG time. Only one I will do I guess is check dark chocolate with soy lecithin- I've never seemed to have issues with it in the past, but hey, I have found I can find some chocolate with sunflower lecitihin instead so if it is problematic that isn't the end of the world. And of course, gluten and legume reintros. I need to sit down with husband and plan out when and how we'll do what, rather than our current plan of 'well we know diary is last...' Haha.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2198 on: May 08, 2017, 03:11:48 AM »
Hey everybody
I'm still doing reintroductions. I did corn, and I'm not sure . . . Just like with wheat, this was a 'maybe' result.   Felt a little 'under the weather' but not sure if it was the corn.  So I'm going back to template eating for three days and then try corn again.
There are a few things I am not going to reintroduce at all, because I already know they are a problem:  beans, lentils, and white potatoes. 
Still on the list for reintroduction: honey, peanuts, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, strawberries. 
Hope everyone has a good day.  :)

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2199 on: May 09, 2017, 07:16:26 AM »
Posting to follow. Mrs Axe proposed Whole 30 this weekend, and we're seriously considering it. Alcohol will be a challenge, but it's something I've wanted to do for a while, anyway. The one I'm really struggling with is dairy. I really enjoy my home-made Instant Pot Greek yogurt, and it's had some very positive effects on my middle-aged digestion. Planning to read through the thread and try to understand how big a deal it would be to make up my own rules for what is in and what is out.

As long as we stick to the rules for 30 days, the effects of elimination on the stuff we cut still works, right?