Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 260965 times)

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #2250 on: July 24, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
I actually don't have much of a fondness for cooked broccoli.  I tend to add it to salads, or toss a few florets on top of left-overs for the last 30 seconds of re-heating.  I think I like the crunch.  I eat about 1.5-2 cups of florets any time I make a salad, and around 0.5 cup or so if I toss it on leftovers, so there's not much room in my diet for more broccoli.  I need some variety!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #2251 on: July 27, 2017, 11:23:30 AM »
Ugh! Sucking at life over here! So the biggest kink in our lovely whole30 lives is the children. You all know cooking this way tends to take a lot of effort: lots of chopping and trying new things. So then I make these beautiful masterpieces and the kids don't like it, so they stay hungry and I have to make them shitty food an hour later (cereal, P&Js, easy stuff). I've got 4 that are 5 and under, so you can imagine.

Any advice?
Make $22/hr teaching English from home FOR REALZ! https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=4568896

Latest blog post --> teaching conflict resolution to littles --> http://www.mycasacaoba.com/teach-kids-problem-solving/

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2252 on: July 27, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
Ugh! Sucking at life over here! So the biggest kink in our lovely whole30 lives is the children. You all know cooking this way tends to take a lot of effort: lots of chopping and trying new things. So then I make these beautiful masterpieces and the kids don't like it, so they stay hungry and I have to make them shitty food an hour later (cereal, P&Js, easy stuff). I've got 4 that are 5 and under, so you can imagine.

Any advice?

If you always make them the foods they want after an hour, they will continue to delay their meal by an hour in order to eat those foods.  When they get hungry enough (or understand you're not going to make those foods) they will be a lot more open to eating what they DO have access to.  I think it would be easier for you if you cleaned all of those things out of the cupboard to remove the temptation.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2253 on: July 27, 2017, 08:53:35 PM »
+1. Kids won't starve; let them go a day without cereal and see what happens. They'll eat the masterpieces when they get hungry enough. You don't "have to" make them shitty food, you choose to.

We never forced our kid to eat; if she liked what we made, she ate it. If not, she didn't eat. She just turned 19 and is about as healthy and happy as you can get as a 19 year old woman. This may sound like a radical idea, but it isn't really. Make meals, ask your kids to eat them, if they don't, just wait 4-6 hours and try again with the next meal. They will come around.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2254 on: July 27, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »
Another thing you can do is serve food one item at a time.  Put the broccoli on their plate and don't serve the next thing until they eat it.  You can put foods they prefer towards the end of the meal.  They will see that they need to make it through the healthy stuff, and after they will be allowed to eat something they are more interested in.

Stashing Swiss-style

• Bristles
« Reply #2255 on: July 28, 2017, 02:19:14 AM »
Don't give in - you have really young kids so starting now will make things better for everyone later one.  Keep it really simple.  Boiled eggs, raw carrots, cooked chicken, tomatoes etc.  If they don't eat what you serve, just put it back in the fridge.  Generally, they will copy each other, so if one refuses to eat, they all will.  But the shitty food cycle has to stop.  My 3 kids are great eaters and we have only ever served one menu (with some slight variations to allow for taste - eg one kid will basically throw up if I make him eat cauliflower :-))

BUT YOU DON'T SUCK AT LIFE!!!!  YOU ARE EXTREMELY BRAVE TO TRY A WHOLE 30 WHEN YOU MUST BE PERMANENTLY EXHAUSTED!!

marioarm2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2256 on: July 28, 2017, 01:04:04 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm new to this thread, but just wanted to pop in and say hello. I'm currently on Day 15 of my first Whole 30!

I've previously attempted the Whole 30 a BUNCH of times, but never made it through the initial first few days. This time around didn't seem nearly as challenging, so I'm assuming my mindset has shifted and that I'm finally "ready" to succeed!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2257 on: July 28, 2017, 02:16:35 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm new to this thread, but just wanted to pop in and say hello. I'm currently on Day 15 of my first Whole 30!

I've previously attempted the Whole 30 a BUNCH of times, but never made it through the initial first few days. This time around didn't seem nearly as challenging, so I'm assuming my mindset has shifted and that I'm finally "ready" to succeed!

Hey marioarm2, welcome!  I'mlad to hear your W30 is going smoothly!  What made you want to try it, and what made this time so successful?  Are you looking to achieve anything in particular?

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2258 on: July 29, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! My kids actually like broccoli and healthy food. They just don't like it when it's been chopped, diced, stirred, seasoned and made into a masterpiece. Stashing swiss-style is right, I need to have simple sides included in the meal so they have something that will appeal to them.
Make $22/hr teaching English from home FOR REALZ! https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=4568896

Latest blog post --> teaching conflict resolution to littles --> http://www.mycasacaoba.com/teach-kids-problem-solving/

marioarm2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2259 on: July 31, 2017, 06:57:28 PM »

Hey marioarm2, welcome!  I'mlad to hear your W30 is going smoothly!  What made you want to try it, and what made this time so successful?  Are you looking to achieve anything in particular?

At some point I stumbled upon paleo eating, and then from there I discovered the Whole 30. I did eat paleo for a brief period of time, but I've always been crazy for processed food and sweets, so it didn't stick.

Honestly I've always considered W30 for weight loss purposes, although I know weight loss is only one of MANY wonderful things brought on by completing the program. The last few times I've unsuccessfully attempted W30 were indeed for weight loss, but this time around I know it's a "now or never" scenario to get a grip on my sugar dragon, eating, and life in general. Today I'm on Day 19 and know I'll cross the finish line!

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2260 on: July 31, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »
Cool!  Hope you see the changes you're looking for.

All in all the W30 is going well for me too.   I had a huge craving for sweets, so I gorged a bit on a carton of blueberries, and no such cravings since.  This week I'm eating sauteed green beans with onion and garlic, steamed kale, pork sausage, salmon, pan fried hamburger with everything, and I have a few salads mixed up as well.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2261 on: August 01, 2017, 10:01:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys! My kids actually like broccoli and healthy food. They just don't like it when it's been chopped, diced, stirred, seasoned and made into a masterpiece. Stashing swiss-style is right, I need to have simple sides included in the meal so they have something that will appeal to them.

Haven't read this, don't know if it will be helpful, but http://realeverything.com/guest-post-getting-your-kids-excited-about-real-food-real-food-with-kids/

It sounds like you're already almost there if they just like simple, real food.  I'm not a parent, but I'd probably just veer towards their preferences and eat fairly plainly.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2262 on: August 02, 2017, 04:27:17 AM »
<3 great article Horsepoor!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2263 on: August 02, 2017, 10:16:03 PM »
<3 great article Horsepoor!

Glad you liked it!  I remembered something about Paleo Parents, but they oddly didn't have any posts to their blog on the topic that I could see, but linked to that article.

marioarm2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2264 on: August 04, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »
Cool!  Hope you see the changes you're looking for.

All in all the W30 is going well for me too.   I had a huge craving for sweets, so I gorged a bit on a carton of blueberries, and no such cravings since.  This week I'm eating sauteed green beans with onion and garlic, steamed kale, pork sausage, salmon, pan fried hamburger with everything, and I have a few salads mixed up as well.

Oh I just got so hungry reading your food line up! I'm on Day 22 and I've been getting tired of making the same old things. I've also noticed my vegetable intake is pretty non-existent aside from the occasional salad, cucumbers, sweet peppers, and roasted carrots. I'm going to make it a priority to try some new recipes this upcoming week and bump up the veggies.