Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 255330 times)

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1900 on: January 19, 2017, 09:33:40 PM »

Wins: There's definitely a little less of me around my hips and belly button area. This feels a little like an easily earned accomplishment because I've never felt hungry on W30. That hungry dieting feeling is my main complaint about weight-loss diets and why I don't do them. W30 is definitely busting my preconceptions of what it feels like to loose some weight.

Challenges: I'll be traveling Friday through Monday and will likely not have time to cook meals for myself. I'm considering cooking up a batch of something big tonight that I can freeze and take with me so that I always have something to fall back on. Maybe the soup above or maybe another batch of bolognese since that's always easy and tasty.

So happy for your wins :) For hubby's lunches I have been roasted a bunch of sweet potatoes and them topping them with various sauces (Thai red curry, "Butter "chicken sauce with ground beef instead of chicken, spaghetti meat sauce...the I portion them out in containers and they microwave really well. Also Cottage pie with ground beef, spices, topped with mashed potatoes/cauliflower etc. I did a mashed squash/potato topping that was good.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1901 on: January 20, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »
^__^ reading along has been fun.
I decided against doing a "proper" Whole30 round, but am trying to incorporate a lot of the things I learned from doing it the first time around.
This is more along the lines of a maintenance eating plan than anything else, trying to eat lots and lots of plants. ^__^ Real goal for me is to make sure I eat real and filling things, with an embargo against added sugar. Beans are occasional for me (and don't give me trouble) and grains are limited but not off the menu completely.

This morning I had a salad with half a scotch egg for breakfast, and it was delish!
For lunch I'll have my pork and cabbage soup, with a side of brussel sprouts, and an orange for a snack. :D
I'm thinking of making an eggplant rattatoi for dinner... We'll see!
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1902 on: January 20, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
Landlady - Wow that soup sounds incredible *drool*, let us know how it turns out! I love the richness coconut milk adds to soups.

10dollars - Congrats on your results! So thrilled for you that you're already seeing such great benefits at Day 12.
It looks like certain kombucha is allowed http://whole30.com/2016/08/kombucha/ so you could find a ginger flavor, or make your own. Or you could just add ginger (crushed, or juice squeezed from pulp) to sparkling water. It's not a bad thing to try to satisfy cravings that aren't unhealthy at the core -- aka if you're craving the spice and the refreshment and not the sugar. The issues come in when you're trying to replicate something non-compliant with a mashup of W30-approved ingredients ('Whole 30 muffins'), or if the food is a crutch (replacing afternoon candy with Larabars).

Maybe invite your friend over for a delicious Whole 30 meal?

horsepoor - Color me jealous, my dad's retirement party is Sunday and he's renting out a whole (small) Japanese restaurant...so many delicious things for free (to me) that I can't have, but at least there's sashimi!

swick - Can you pack me lunches too please? I don't cook curry often because fiance loathes the smell, but I do so love a good chicken curry. Similar to your spaghetti meat sauce, sometime I just make meatballs in tomato sauce and don't miss the spaghetti at all (Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce recipe is the best, just sub ghee for butter).

Win:
This morning I woke up early and made breakfast for myself and fiance (homefries, scrambled eggs, bacon, coffee) which made him very very happy. Thank goodness his favorite breakfast is compliant (though lacking in veggies, ha).

Challenge:
I find an unhealthy mindset creeping up on me...thoughts like "oh if I eat a little less then I'll keep losing weight quickly" because my natural hunger sensor has been messed up for some time. I need to keep eating solid, balanced meals to support my active lifestyle, but my stomach doesn't always 'force' me to do so. I've never had a full blown eating disorder, but definitely some issues with obsessing over food/calories. I guess the best way to combat this is to keep cooking food that I look forward to eating.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1903 on: January 20, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
10dollars - Congrats on your results! So thrilled for you that you're already seeing such great benefits at Day 12.
It looks like certain kombucha is allowed http://whole30.com/2016/08/kombucha/ so you could find a ginger flavor, or make your own. Or you could just add ginger (crushed, or juice squeezed from pulp) to sparkling water. It's not a bad thing to try to satisfy cravings that aren't unhealthy at the core -- aka if you're craving the spice and the refreshment and not the sugar. The issues come in when you're trying to replicate something non-compliant with a mashup of W30-approved ingredients ('Whole 30 muffins'), or if the food is a crutch (replacing afternoon candy with Larabars).

I make my own kefir.  The grains are like pets without faces that give me probiotic soda. :)

I think I'd probably be safe experimenting with it.  I don't crave the sugar.  I just love really spicy ginger soda.  Like... the kind you have to sip or it will burn the back of your throat and cause you to cough.  My problem is that you have to add something to the second ferment for the bacteria to eat to make the fizz.  Sugar (not allowed) or fruit juice, which is why I'm thinking apple juice.  Date syrup is a possibility, but sitting at the fuzzy edge of ok.  I'll feel better trying that one when my 30 days are up.

Maybe invite your friend over for a delicious Whole 30 meal?

This would require having someone in my house, and my hermit-ness will not currently allow for this.

... I have ridiculous issues with ridiculous things... I'm working on it. :)
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1904 on: January 23, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »
Babyshark, I found a compliant beef jerky stick at Trader Joe's. It's called Chomp and it's pretty good and saved me on Saturday when I didn't have lunch.

Day 23
Wins: I made it through a weekend away from home and even a visit to a friend's new bakery without breaking Whole30. I also picked up a bunch of compliant ingredients at Trader Joe's while I was in the city. RXbars, coconut milk and cream, Chomp sticks, ghee...
I had an nectarine yesterday and it tasted so amazingly sweet. My taste buds have definitely changed.

Challenges: Constantly explaining Whole30 is annoying... My mother in law is either very curious or very judgemental and I can't tell the difference between the two with her. I hate the feeling of not eating someone's home cooked food because of a diet. It feels so rude to not even take a no-thank-you-helping.
I am loving the taste of the cashew butter from TJs, but for three days now I've have a little GI distress and I'm starting to think the cashew butter is the cause. :( The other possible cause is a chicken apple sausage I've been eating. So out with both for now and I'll try cashew butter again in a few days. It is ridiculously good on bananas.... sigh.

How's everyone doing?

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1905 on: January 23, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »

Challenges: Constantly explaining Whole30 is annoying... My mother in law is either very curious or very judgemental and I can't tell the difference between the two with her. I hate the feeling of not eating someone's home cooked food because of a diet. It feels so rude to not even take a no-thank-you-helping.
I am loving the taste of the cashew butter from TJs, but for three days now I've have a little GI distress and I'm starting to think the cashew butter is the cause. :( The other possible cause is a chicken apple sausage I've been eating. So out with both for now and I'll try cashew butter again in a few days. It is ridiculously good on bananas.... sigh.

How's everyone doing?

Way to go on your wins, landlady! The bakery visit would have been HARD.

The quoted above: is the hard part. It is all in how you word it though. If you say no to people's home cooked food because "You are on a diet" it is much easier for them to get offended, or have their own opinion or...or...or

Phrasing it as " I'm trying to figure out some food allergies, so I'm on a pretty plain eating plan right now, so I can't have it. But it looks amazing and hopefully, it isn't x...y...z (whatever is in what they are offering) that is the problem. I'm looking forward to getting healthier and figuring this out!" It doesn't leave them much to argue with, it makes it a little less scary because it is not a "diet" and it has an end date in sight - so they don't have to be worried about you or how your eating affects them forever.

Unless you find something out and it does :)

This works most of the time, Although there will always be people who will be a challenge.

We are on Day 15 Nothing really exciting to report.

Win: Figured out a meal plan for the next couple of days that allows us to be lazy and not have to go to the store while using up pantry and freezer staples and eating like kings. Funny how that tends to work :)

Challange: Totally didn't look at the calendar when making arrangements for Hubby's family to come over for a potluck dinner (our new solution to eating out which is expensive, usually not tasty, and doesn't meet our main reasons for going out, which is visiting.)

MIL wanted to do a Chinese New Year themed meal. She found a recipe for Wonton Soup that doesn't use wrappers and asked me about the ingredients and they are all good. I'll make some complaint Chicken dish. Hub's brother will do some sort of pulled meat dish (Probably won't be compliant) and Grandma will probably bring buns and an ungodly amount of commercial dessert. Should work out. Will have to explain to the whole family what whole 30 is (again) but when I was talking to MILI made it very clear that this round was entirely Hubby's idea :D

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1906 on: January 24, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »
I've been really bad at keeping up on this thread (and also you may see me on the 10% body weight thread because I've been weighing in even though I know I'm not supposed to on W30, shhhhh) but I had to pop back and say that I cannot believe I've gone three weeks without dairy.  It blows my mind.  The longest I've gone before this is one week in college where I cut all dairy to see if it was causing some stomach issues and I woke up at the end of the week covered in red blotches the day we were leaving for a mock trial competition.  I am happy to report that has not happened this time.

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1907 on: January 24, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
Babyshark - Yay for surviving without dairy! It's so odd that you seemed to have...a reverse allergic reaction? I definitely find that I typically add cheese to things all the time as a flavor-booster, so doing without requires more creativity.

Landlady - I use the word "detox" (which still confuses people who expect it to mean a liquid diet). Having a history of GI issues is a good excuse.

Win: My dad commented that Dave and I looked "shiny" (pretty sure he meant glowy) and like we had more energy. My skin is pretty clear compared to the last few months.

Challenge: I attended my dad's retirement party at our fave local Japanese joint. My parents supplied great wine and beer and an amazing spread of Japanese food (MY FAVORITE), most of which fiance and I couldn't eat. I had Perrier, sashimi, and green tea -- which on a normal day would be lovely, but being faced with so many foods I love (and which were free to me) was pretty depressing. Having to listen to my mom comment on how they got too much food and everyone would have to take home leftovers (I love leftovers)...*sigh* Add to that the stress of interacting with "family friends" (really, parents friends) without the aid of alcohol...I was grumpy and exhausted when we got home. I could only stand it for about an hour. I'm still a little bitter, in case you can't tell.

Guess this is the Day 22 Interlude because the enthusiasm is gone, now it's just counting down the days and trying to make sure we stay on track during our California trip. It's possible the stress of wedding planning (the venue we currently have our eye on is already filling up in 2018) is also a contributor. I'm going to take a day off from the gym and just go home to read/rest.

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1908 on: January 24, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »
rawr237 it was the weirdest thing and I was nervous about it happening again.  Maybe it wasn't the dairy, but I had a big glass of milk and a grilled cheese for lunch that day and I was all cleared up a little bit later.  And your will power is incredible, for you to have survived your dad's retirement party.

My upcoming fear is that Super Bowl Sunday is going to roll around and I'm going to just go ham on a ton of non-compliant food.  I'm not sure if I'm going to do the complete reintroduction or what, I know I probably should, but man I want a cheeseburger.  I've also done pretty well with my weightloss that I'm nervous I'm going to totally blow that progress come Feb. 1.

monkeymind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1909 on: January 24, 2017, 06:28:28 PM »
rawr237 - I admire your strength.  I'm not sure I could have resisted.  Sushi and other Japanese foods are my favorite.  I'd have been hard-pressed to avoid all the things. Kudos!

BabyShark - I'm getting a bit nervous about reintroduction, too.  I want to do it well but fear I'll cave during upcoming special occasions.  If anyone has any advice for the reintroduction phase, I'm all ears.

Wins:  I don't know if this is exactly a win, but I had to miss lunch today due to circumstances.  It didn't even phase me.  No hunger pangs, no need to snack or cheat.  I didn't even over-eat when I finally got to eat dinner (late).  It was just easy.

Challenges:  My whole work crew keeps talking about the need to drink when we go out this Friday after our big hard week.  I floated that I'm doing "sober January" so they won't be shocked, and it was just awkward.  I'm not even a big drinker but it was just so foreign to everyone that I wouldn't drink when we go out. 

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1910 on: January 24, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »
Monkeymind: THIS.
I did a sober November (not a W30) and I'm doing a sober January (and doing ... something inspired by a W30) and it's illuminating to see people's reactions to not only the sugar avoidance etc... but the alcohol abstention.
It's very much a part of my work culture, too. We have "beer Fridays" where at 3:30 on Friday, beer goes around. Free beer. Good beer (I buy it for the office, lol. I get the good stuff).
It's funny how not taking part in that, even only for specified periods (let alone if someone didn't drink at all) creates confusion. It's such a "social binding" thing.
The "X is so hard, Y is so annoying, god I need a drink..." thing is cute and funny, until you start to worry that people really do, and don't recognize it as a numbing mechanism, and instead see it as liberating. Don't get me wrong, I really love a good beer...

But, I think for me that's been the biggest take-away from doing W30 and W30 adjacent eating styles - I use food to numb myself and escape. And if it's not food, I'll do the same with drink. And if you take away both you sort of have to deal with yourself.
Which is scary as fuck.
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1911 on: January 24, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »
I'll be starting March 1st sans eggs and nightshades to see if it helps my chronic pain. I should have enough time between now and then to domsome serious meal planning.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1912 on: January 25, 2017, 08:59:13 AM »
RE-INTRODUCTION: you owe it to yourself to NOT eat that pizza and why it matters....

Hi folks!

Lots of awesomeness happening and lots of people close to reintro and expressing some nervousness/cravings and such. I'll try and provide you with some info, things to think about and ideas for your reintro.

Truth: Whole 30 is not a "Diet" So why did you do it?
If you did the Whole 30 just to lose a little weight and give yourself a rest after Christmas, Awesome, carry on, you might not need to do a reintro.

The whole premise around a whole 30 is to eliminate foods that might be causing you a problem and REINTRODUCE them. 

If you skip this part, or go out and eat a bunch of different foods at once, you are basically cheating yourself out of the knowledge to make your life better. You are doing all the work and basically deciding at the last minute that it doesn't really matter and that your cravings/psychological need for things etc is stronger than you are. 

This thread has been around a while, and the main difference between people who are successful in making lasting changes and those who aren't,  or that come back for another round from the same place they were before is the reintro. It is a super important part of the process. It is the REASON you spend all the time detoxing and re-examining your relationship with food in the first place. The data and information you will learn about how different foods affect you (or hopefully don't) is the main reason to do a Whole 30. The weight loss is awesome, the other benefits are great, but don't you want to keep feeling that way? The reintro provides the knowledge and power for you to do so! You are stronger than whatever psychological bull crap your mind (and body!) is trying to pull on you right now.

For those who just want on keep on going:
It is also tempting to keep eating this way forever if you have noticed a big improvement. I don't recommend this either - unless you have systemic chronic inflammation and stuff going on that you don't think is quite gone yet. You may want to extend which is fine, but when you feel like you are in a good plane DO THE REINTRODUCTION!!!

I am so so glad that I spent some time in reintro-mode. It makes getting back on the plan (or whatever your version of it ends up being) so much easier.

A reintrroduction gives you context to your decisions - and power. With the whole 30, there are a bunch of rules that, at times, seems arbitrary.  The initial appeal is "it is only for 30 days!"  but doing it longer without the re-intro it makes it much harder to stick with and be motivated if you don't have a "personal" reason for staying away from certain foods. It is the extra little bit of self-knowledge and understanding with your body that adds another level of determination and creates a new lense for how you interact with food. 

Especially if you discover problem foods. It is much, much easier for me to resist the sirens call of wheat/gluten when I know that I will be paying for it with a fibro flare-up that lats days. I'm not denying myself and resisting becuase a plan tells me I must, I am doing it because I know how it affects me and no moment of temporary pleasure is worth the consequences.

Stratagies for dealing with cravings:
Just realizing that a food has this kind of psychological hold is a big breakthrough! Sit with it for a while, become the observer of your thoughts and feelings around it and don't  let the feelings and cravings take hold. Make your choices conscious and deliberate and from a place of knowing how far you have come, how amazing you feel, and the "new" you.

Creating your Reintro Plan:

1.  Spend some time making a list of all the things that you have noticed have gotten better since you started your whole 30. That way you have an idea of what to look for to see if anything gets worse. It is also a great way to track and realize your successes.

2. Create your Reintro timetable:http://whole30.com/step-two-finished
I did a slower reintro that started like this:
week1: - Milk (unfermented dairy)
week2: - Fermented dairy (Yougurt, Kefir)
week3: - Cheese (casin can apparently cause issues)
week4: - legumes
week5 - Fermented soy - (soy sauce, miso)
week6: - Non-gluten grains
week7: - gluten grains
week8: - Sugar

Now, it went much faster because I discovered I had issues to dairy and wheat and if I have more than trace sugar. So after having some immediate negative effects on a few of these, I had gotten enough data and didn't need to break it down as much as I had planned.

Keep a journal while you are reintroducing foods Sometimes the effects will be really notable and swift, sometimes they will be slower. Sometimes you will notice old aches and pains coming back slowly. Or the brain fog that comes with wheat, even if you have no immediate physical reaction.

3. Develop a Maintenance plan - or figure out how you are going to live!

Once you have all this data, you get to figure out what to do with it! You might decide to do another round of WHole 30, you might develop some guidlines that you want to follow depending on what you may have reacted to. This is pretty much where your training wheels come off and you get to decide what works best for you!

This is the maintenance plan we settled on that we generally follow while not on Whole 30:
 - no sugar or natural sweeteners (except for the occasional special occasion out, and it is deliberate and thoughtful)
 - No dairy (except for the occasional special occasion out, and it is deliberate and thoughtful)
 - No Wheat
 - Small amounts of other grains/seeds (Buckwheat, chia, quinoa, rice, oats) mostly when we want a bit of variety or for Hubby's breakfasts or are going out to eat
 - Legumes - Occasionally.

I know if I eat wheat it will trigger my fibro and I'll feel it for days. I know that dairy causes sinus issues and congestion and such - but will go away in 10 or so hours. So I know to stay away from wheat and can choose to have dairy knowing what it does to me. This is the power that comes with reintro. It allows you to make the decisions that are best for you.

Okay that is a lot, and I don't mean to get preachy, I just think it is such a key to success. You all have been doing awesome and I want to see you all feeling better and rocking life :D

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1913 on: January 25, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »
I'm on day 27 and doing ok. The last two days I have wanted to bury my face in a chocolate cake, so your post is in good time for me swick!

I'm wondering how I'll handle re-entry. I don't feel much different and I don't think I have any foods that I react poorly to, but I don't want to rebound with sugar and grains like I'm trying to make up for missing a month's worth!

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1914 on: January 25, 2017, 11:45:18 AM »
I'm on day 27 and doing ok. The last two days I have wanted to bury my face in a chocolate cake, so your post is in good time for me swick!

I'm wondering how I'll handle re-entry. I don't feel much different and I don't think I have any foods that I react poorly to, but I don't want to rebound with sugar and grains like I'm trying to make up for missing a month's worth!

Hi, Cookie!

That is the super interesting thing, everyone will have a different experience. My sister was MUCH healthier than I was and she didn't really think that any foods had an affect on her. She makes most of her stuff from scratch and eats organic and all of that. She basically did a Whole 30 to support my mom, even she was very surprised to find that she just "felt better" staying away from Wheat, it wasn't anything drastic, but she definitely felt her motivation and ability to focus and think clearly was affected. 

She is still trying to narrow down exactly what it is, but for most of her life she has had periodic outbursts of really bad cold sores, about every month or so and especially after her body gets stressed. After eating whole 30-ish for three or four months she noticed, no cold sores. Then she had a weekend way and ate all the things and had an outbreak within 12 hours. 

It's always interesting to see how people react.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1915 on: January 25, 2017, 11:47:21 AM »
Also, cross-posting from another thread because this is really interesting:

How long does it take for wheat-related symptoms to subside? (i.e. haven't had any today; last wheat product was a sandwich around 4PM yesterday.)

It really depends on what your symptoms are and how long you have been dealing with them. Besides the problems with wheat, there is Non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS). Interesting paper here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4517012/

Quote:

Non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) is a syndrome diagnosed in patients with symptoms that respond to removal of gluten from the diet, after CD and wheat allergy have been excluded [1,2]. The description of this condition is mostly restricted to adults, including a large number of patients previously labeled with “irritable bowel syndrome” or “psychosomatic disorder” [1].

The “classical” presentation of NCGS is, indeed, a combination of gastro-intestinal symptoms including abdominal pain, bloating, bowel habit abnormalities (either diarrhea or constipation), and systemic manifestations including disorders of the neuropsychiatric area such as “foggy mind”, depression, headache, fatigue, and leg or arm numbness [1,2,3]. In recent studies, NCGS has been related to the appearance of neuro-psychiatric disorders, such as autism, schizophrenia and depression [2,4]. The proposed mechanism is a CD-unrelated, primary alteration of the small intestinal barrier (leaky gut) leading to abnormal absorption of gluten peptides that can eventually reach the central nervous system stimulating the brain opioid receptors and/or causing neuro-inflammation.

It's complicated, and the research is still pretty new. That's why trying to see what works best FOR YOU is worth a shot.

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1916 on: January 25, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »
Wow, thank you for your helpful and convincing post, swick! I was thinking of extending to a whole45 because this is feeling so good, but then your post convinced me that reintro is similar and a more thoughtful approach.
The reason a whole45 is tempting for me is to figure out if my skin clearing is part of my typical monthly cycle or due partially or fully to a food I've eliminated. I guess it's a bit of pessimism in me waiting for my skin to cycle back to bad again just as soon as I get used to it being clearer. I'm not convinced it's food related yet.

Here are my benefits which I will watch next week in reintro:
-slightly clearer skin
-weight loss (measured by how my pants fit, I don't own a scale)
-no food coma after eating
-slightly more energy in workouts (maybe due to less weight being carried around)
-no more urges for carb or sugar loaded snacks or desserts (freedom!)

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1917 on: January 25, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »
In other news, I came down with a cold and will be making Avgolemono today: http://www.dinneralovestory.com/avgolemeno/
I highly recommend it. You can substitute something in for the orzo or just leave it out. I think I'll try diced or shredded potatoes. The eggs make it creamy without dairy.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1918 on: January 25, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »
The reason a whole45 is tempting for me is to figure out if my skin clearing is part of my typical monthly cycle or due partially or fully to a food I've eliminated.

This would be a totally legit reason to stay on whole 30 longer. There are lots of cases where your body simply needs more time. You tend not to develop health issues in 30 days (unless you are really trying, like Supersize Me) so it is unrealistic to think 30 days will solve them all.

For me, I consider my first Whole 30 as the kick-off I needed, it provided me with *enough* proof that it was working for me. but it didn't solve many of my issues. Really, it's an ongoing process and to get to the point I am at now, I would say has taken about a year and a half, but then I had a lot of issues :)

But if you are looking at any ongoing process, doing the reintro really does give you the data and helps your brain understand the "why" behind what you are doing because you will be challenged, you will feel like giving up, or slipping into old habits, or feeling like changes aren't happening fast enough.

Aww, feel better! and I love the idea of an Avgolemeno. I haven't made it in ages! Thanks for the inspiration!

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1919 on: January 26, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »
Day 26
Challenges: I tried the chia coconut pudding that a neighbor raves about and nearly gagged on it. Thankfully my son likes it. I guess I'll be giving her the rest of my chia seeds bag. I learned that I'm not a fan of the gelatinous texture.
We have guests coming from Friday to Tuesday so once again I will be around a ton of non-Whole30 foods. But at least this time I'm armed with some good advice on how to frame the discussion and with a loaded fridge of good food.

Wins: I made it through the worst day of my cold yesterday. All I wanted was to take a bath in warm carbs, but I held strong and made lemony, chicken soup instead.
I told my dad about Whole30 and he was so supportive of me. He's in chemo treatments right now, but I could see us doing it together next year once he's healthy again.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1920 on: January 27, 2017, 07:44:34 AM »
Yesterday, Day 28 was so hard. Tons of delicious food AND chocolate cake were available at lunch. I ate the grapes and melons and cauliflower. The hardest part was the food that was available that MAY have been compliant. There was chicken, but it had some sort of baked on sauce on it and I couldn't tell what type. It was home made, but I couldn't find out who had made it. I eventually tried a very small bite and it was incredibly spicy, but not sweet. Could have been compliant, but I didn't enjoy the taste!

Against all re-entry rules, I did take a piece of cake to have on Sunday. It's currently in my freezer. I almost liked the icing off my finger, but stopped just in time.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1921 on: January 27, 2017, 08:22:46 AM »
Day 26
Challenges: I tried the chia coconut pudding that a neighbor raves about and nearly gagged on it. Thankfully my son likes it. I guess I'll be giving her the rest of my chia seeds bag. I learned that I'm not a fan of the gelatinous texture.
We have guests coming from Friday to Tuesday so once again I will be around a ton of non-Whole30 foods. But at least this time I'm armed with some good advice on how to frame the discussion and with a loaded fridge of good food.

I can see how you might dislike the texture :) Here are some ways I use chia, that I shared in the use it up thread. Warning not all of these are compliant, bust most can be tweaked or can be used after your whole 30. You might like the chia seed pudding texture MUCH better.

Chocolate Chia seed pudding. I usually sweeten with dates instead of what they suggest. Maple syrup works well too. I prefer this to the "Tapioca" style because sometimes chia seeds don't look all that appetizing, or I don't want to be picking them out of my teeth later.  Also this seems less healthy in pudding form :) http://wholenewmom.com/recipes/chocolate-carob-chia-pudding-dairy-free-sugar-free/

Refrigerator Jam pretty much any fruit combo will work, so it is good for using stuff up. Don't always need the extra honey depending on the fruit you use http://thankfulexpressions.blogspot.ca/2013/07/strawberry-rhubarb-refrigerator-jam.html

Rasinetes Protein bites - cuz, yum!  Alos handy to have on hand for grab and go snacks. http://teaspoonliving.com/2015/06/raisinets-protein-bites/

Lemon Energy Bites - Also delish, I really like making them with Brazil nuts instead of almonds! http://www.theleangreenbean.com/lemon-energy-balls/

Lemon Chia Pancakes (grain-free) Good if you have lots of coconut flour to use up. Again, use whatever sweetener you want, if any. http://www.anthonysgoods.com/blogs/recipes/102442374-lemon-chia-pancakes

Chia Buckwheat Pizza Crust
Okay this is a WEIRD one. My hubby made it while I was out of town and when he said he wanted to show me when I got back I was suspicious. I looked at the recipe and was even more suspicious. Then he made the "gloop" and I was thinking there is no way. Turns out I was wrong. It is surprisingly tasty. It is not really, yeast pizza dough, but it is the best gluten-free sub we have found and it is VERY filling. You just got to make sure you really bake it well before adding the toppings. We usually flip it over and bake for longer than it says. It might take some experimenting to figure out how you like it, but if you can't do gluten it is worth playing with. http://nyoutritious.com/grain-free-chia-buckwheat-pizza/

Wins: I made it through the worst day of my cold yesterday. All I wanted was to take a bath in warm carbs, but I held strong and made lemony, chicken soup instead.
I told my dad about Whole30 and he was so supportive of me. He's in chemo treatments right now, but I could see us doing it together next year once he's healthy again.

Glad to hear you made it over your cold, and sending your dad positive healing thoughts :)

Yesterday, Day 28 was so hard. Tons of delicious food AND chocolate cake were available at lunch. I ate the grapes and melons and cauliflower. The hardest part was the food that was available that MAY have been compliant. There was chicken, but it had some sort of baked on sauce on it and I couldn't tell what type. It was home made, but I couldn't find out who had made it. I eventually tried a very small bite and it was incredibly spicy, but not sweet. Could have been compliant, but I didn't enjoy the taste!

Against all re-entry rules, I did take a piece of cake to have on Sunday. It's currently in my freezer. I almost liked the icing off my finger, but stopped just in time.

You got this, Cookie! Way to go on resisting all the temptations! I'm going to make a suggestion. If you *really* want to have some of that cake after your Whole 30, do it in a way that won't derail your progress and will give you some data to work with.

Have a TINY piece (like a  couple of mouthfuls)and put it on a super fancy plate. Sit down with no other distractions and totally focus on it. Use all your senses. Have a bite. See what it brings up with you as far as feelings and emotions and cravings. Is it excruciatingly sweet? Do you still want to eat a bite, even though the other bite wasn't as satisfying as you would like?

Don't eat it all. save a bit and put it away in the fridge. See how that feels. Notice your response after the fact, do you spend a lot of time thinking about it? do you cave and scarf it down? are you okay with letting it sit there until you make a conscious decision to enjoy it again?

If you have ever struggled with sugar/sweet things going from 0 to cake will probably wake your sugar dragon something fierce. You just have to be conscious and aware of that, otherwise, it is so easy to slide and undo all your progress.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1922 on: January 28, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »
That is AWESOME advice swick. Thank you. I have been thinking about re-entry a lot and debating whether I really want the cake or not. My main purpose in doing Whole30 was to get past sugar cravings and I don't want to detail that progress on day 31.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1923 on: January 28, 2017, 10:42:07 AM »
That is AWESOME advice swick. Thank you. I have been thinking about re-entry a lot and debating whether I really want the cake or not. My main purpose in doing Whole30 was to get past sugar cravings and I don't want to detail that progress on day 31.

The sugar cravings are the hardest part for many of us. There is just a lot going on on every level. They say sugar is as addictive as cocaine and lights up the same chemical processes and addiction centers in your brain.  Add to that all the marketing for it, it's pervasiveness in EVERYTHING, our culture and beliefs about it, it is an uphill battle for sure.

From the people who have come and gone on this thread, and it seems like the other weight-loss threads it seems to be the biggest struggle for people and the start of going back to regular eating habits.

I have a somewhat addictive personality with a history of substance abuse in my family, I would definitely say in the past food has been my drug of choice. One thing I discovered is I am an "all or nothing" personality type so going off the rails for me means *really* going off the rails.  I found this article that someone shared here a while ago extremely insightful: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/the-100-per-cent-rule-the-simple-advice-that-changed-my-life-20160825-gr16da.html

the thing I have found interesting is when we do inevitably reintro sugar in any significant amounts neither of us enjoy it, we go, ugh that's kinda gross now - but if we let ourselves have more, your taste buds readapt very quickly.

I think Orvell's recent comment is really key:

But, I think for me that's been the biggest take-away from doing W30 and W30 adjacent eating styles - I use food to numb myself and escape. And if it's not food, I'll do the same with drink. And if you take away both you sort of have to deal with yourself.
Which is scary as fuck.

this is kinda the root of it all, and why I think a thread/group like this is so important, you sometimes realize it is not all about just the food, and then what? I think this needs to be a safe place to explore that "which is scary as fuck."

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1924 on: January 28, 2017, 10:43:46 AM »
Happy Day 30 Cookie!! You Did It!!

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1925 on: January 28, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
Congrats, Cookie!

monkeymind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1926 on: January 28, 2017, 04:03:56 PM »
Congratulations Cookie! I look forward to following your progress through the reintroduction phase.

Orvell - Thanks for chiming in.  You're absolutely right, this is an interesting experience in living through life without the crutches. Facing things (and myself) head on without the numbing agents. 

And I did it!  WIN!  We got through our horrendously stressful week and, at the last minute, one of my co-workers invited us to her house for wine and snacks instead of going to the bar.  Unfortunately, the lack of wine in my hand did not go unnoticed so I had to explain again how I was not drinking this month.  And then someone noticed how I was sticking with the veggie tray and leaving the cheese & crackers and chips & dip, and I had to go on to explain that I'm trying to eat more healthfully and maybe identify some allergy triggers.  "So that's why you didn't have a donut with us this morning, isn't it?"...

It all worked out very well though and nobody gave me any guff after that.  However, we did take a little tour of her wine cellar - temperature controlled wine closet actually, but it was stacked floor to ceiling with hundreds of bottles of wine.  It was lovely and I must admit I'm a little jealous. But still, I was fine and enjoyed my water and celery.  Ha! - reading that back, it sounds ridiculous, but it's true. ;-)

I'm on day 27 here and feeling good.  I randomly checked my blood sugar today and it was 71.  I'm very pleased to see it at the low end of normal (I'm not diabetic but have a deep family history and I have no doubt I'm insulin resistant though I've not been diagnosed).  I'm scheduled for a yearly checkup next month and am looking forward to seeing some lab results.

RE-INTRODUCTION: you owe it to yourself to NOT eat that pizza and why it matters....

Okay that is a lot, and I don't mean to get preachy, I just think it is such a key to success. You all have been doing awesome and I want to see you all feeling better and rocking life :D

Beautiful.  So helpful and not preachy at all.  I really appreciate the guidance.  I read the guide to reintroduction but I thought it was a little flimsy.  Your recommendations are very useful - for example, I hadn't thought of dividing dairy up like that and I think it's really smart. It's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thank you! 

Challenge -  As helpful as this thread has been through my Whole30, I have a feeling it's going to be especially important during the immediate aftermath.  One of my main goals is to stay away from those sugars that I've gone without so easily this month.  I think, like you- swick, I'm an all or nothing kind of person. It's actually easier for me to do NO sugar than try to navigate moderation. 

Enjoy your weekend, everybody!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1927 on: January 28, 2017, 06:04:35 PM »
Yay me!! Thanks everyone!

I'm cooking a delicious compliant meal at the moment, and I'm not even craving sugar at the moment.

A lot of what you said rings very true to me swick. I do best with all or nothing plans, which is why I'm worried about my sugar craving response tomorrow. If I let it happen I know my taste buds will adapt quickly also. We shall see how it goes! Maybe I'll try one bite of cake and think yuck!

Congrats everyone on your wins!! :)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1928 on: January 29, 2017, 12:23:20 AM »
Had an interesting week... Started fantastically, and then I started having adverse reactions to things... I think I need to extend doing the low FODMAP plan... I think I was reacting to canned artichokes and peppers.  Took three days to get the artichoke thing out of my system.  Just getting back to ok today.  Haven't decided how long to extend... if I'm going 45 or 60. 

On the bright side... My belt is on it's last hole today.  I'm going to have to shorten my belt. :)
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1929 on: January 29, 2017, 04:15:33 PM »
In preparation for my March 1st start date, I'm trying to eat my way through all my non-compliant staples so I don't have to toss stuff (or be tempted by it).

I also made a list of 7 dinners and sides, 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches (I generally have salads), and six snacks that I can choose from while I'm doing this. All of them are things I already like that happen to be compliant; I'm hoping that will make it go easier since I've got a master list to make my weekly meal plans from. I'm really looking forward to several of those meals, so I'm feeling less daunted by the whole thing. I also have the support of my husband, which is great (he always supports me, but I never take it for granted and appreciated his questions about the length of time I'm dedicating to this, the things I can and can't eat, etc.).
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/preparing-for-forced-early-retirement-due-to-disability/

Join my ibotta team for rebates: https://ibotta.com/r/bdtnbyj

Join my Shopkick team so we can start a Vespa gang (or you can get more practical gift cards...if you think those are better than a Vespa for some reason): https://app.shopkick.com/r/3eNYBE

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1930 on: January 30, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
Day 30
Last day before reintro and going strong. I've decided to do the typical introduction with legumes first tomorrow. I don't miss legumes at all so that's a good one to start with to keep any reintro cravings in check.
We had guests from Colombia and Italy this weekend so I made my typical white bread to go with dinner. Of course I didn't eat any. They loved it so much I made them two extra loaves the next day to take with them. I felt mildly bad that I had gotten my guests addicted to carbs during their visit. But I will say that it gave me a stark comparison to reflect on how my view of fast carbs and sugars have changed over a month. I no longer look at a loaf of bread so naively now. I do still enjoy the process of baking though. I'm like a drug dealer who doesn't do drugs. :P

I'm excited to see what reintro signals to me if anything! I'm feeling optimistic that my clearer skin is indeed due to a food and I'm excited to figure it out.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1931 on: January 30, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
WAY TO GO ON DAY 30 LANDLADY!!!!!!! YOU ROCKED IT!!!!

It'll be interesting to follow your reintro and see what you notice!

Also, the ethical questions that come up are super interesting. We have been having a hard time with Christmas presents because there is lots of cheap/easy and damned impressive sugary stuff we can make....But Should We?

People make their own choices, if they don't eat it from us they'll probably eat the crap anyways...on the other hand, we have immediate family currently in cancer remission. We know they should NOT be having any sugar. They seem to think it is fine.  Knowing that it isn't means we really shouldn't provide them with it, that is our choice - or it is our obligation? it is their right to eat whatever they want to. So where does one draw a line? 

On the bright side... My belt is on it's last hole today.  I'm going to have to shorten my belt. :)

Yay for changes! Crappy that you are reacting. How are you doing now?

In preparation for my March 1st start date, I'm trying to eat my way through all my non-compliant staples so I don't have to toss stuff (or be tempted by it).

I also made a list of 7 dinners and sides, 7 breakfasts, 2 lunches (I generally have salads), and six snacks that I can choose from while I'm doing this. All of them are things I already like that happen to be compliant; I'm hoping that will make it go easier since I've got a master list to make my weekly meal plans from. I'm really looking forward to several of those meals, so I'm feeling less daunted by the whole thing. I also have the support of my husband, which is great (he always supports me, but I never take it for granted and appreciated his questions about the length of time I'm dedicating to this, the things I can and can't eat, etc.).

Sounds like your planning is going great! I have made a secret Pinterest board of whole 30 recipes that have been shared over the thread. Send me your email via PM if you want an invite :)

Yay me!! Thanks everyone!

I'm cooking a delicious compliant meal at the moment, and I'm not even craving sugar at the moment.

A lot of what you said rings very true to me swick. I do best with all or nothing plans, which is why I'm worried about my sugar craving response tomorrow. If I let it happen I know my taste buds will adapt quickly also. We shall see how it goes! Maybe I'll try one bite of cake and think yuck!

Congrats everyone on your wins!! :)

How is it going, Cookie?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1932 on: January 30, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
How is it going, Cookie?

Yesterday went ok. I had only a bite of cake 3 or 4 times throughout the day, then ate the rest in the evening. I found, until the evening, that one bite killed any craving I had. Today I have no sweet cravings at all. I did, however, have a lot of crackers and cheese yesterday, spread out throughout the day. I added a little bit of rice to my dinner last night, and to my leftover lunch today. Just a little bit has been enough to keep me satisfied.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1933 on: January 30, 2017, 01:50:09 PM »
How is it going, Cookie?

Yesterday went ok. I had only a bite of cake 3 or 4 times throughout the day, then ate the rest in the evening. I found, until the evening, that one bite killed any craving I had. Today I have no sweet cravings at all. I did, however, have a lot of crackers and cheese yesterday, spread out throughout the day. I added a little bit of rice to my dinner last night, and to my leftover lunch today. Just a little bit has been enough to keep me satisfied.

Have you noticed any immediate affects (probably from the dairy, if you are going to) or any dips in energy/mental clarity that sort of thing? All things to keep an eye on.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1934 on: January 30, 2017, 02:11:53 PM »
How is it going, Cookie?

Have you noticed any immediate affects (probably from the dairy, if you are going to) or any dips in energy/mental clarity that sort of thing? All things to keep an eye on.

I haven't noticed anything different yet. Sunday my energy started a little low and dropped throughout the day, but I was working hard Friday and Saturday and didn't sleep much Saturday night. Today I woke up feeling full of energy, but this afternoon my eyes are getting heavy. I think both of these things are pretty typical for me before and during Whole30, so it's not really a change. I'm trying to keep an eye on everything, but my moods/energy levels/pain levels/mental clarity/etc have always (for the past two years) bounced around so rapidly like a yo-yo trick. It's hard to see any pattern.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1935 on: January 30, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »
Welcome to the thread, neo von retorch!

The headaches could be detoxing, or caffeine withdrawal. Are you or do you usually have caffeine-containing beverages? Some people cut them out completely because they don't like them black, but giving up caffeine cold-turkey is a bitch, doing it while ALSO on whole 30 is tough!

PRO TIP: no matter what, make sure you are drinking lots of water! Also, a cause of headaches if you are not getting enough.

So poop - yeah we talk about that from time to time, it's a really good indicator of what is going on in your system. Are the dates bunging you up?  It is good to incorporate coconut oil to loosen things, just start with a small amount you need to give your body time to adjust if it is not used to it.

If you are having lots of dates, you might be using them as a sugar krutch, something to keep an eye out for.

I totally hear you on the temptations around D&D and Boardgames. We may have planned our current whole 30 to end before we have an all day D&D session planned. We have been going to game nights at the library which has been really handy because we aren't allowed food or drinks in there!  As far as home gaming, we just tell people to bring whatever they want to drink or munch on and we'll provide some healthier options. Seems to work out pretty well :) Also, we use it as an excuse to ship out whatever unhealthy food seems to collect at our house from entertaining, no one leaves empty handed :D

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1936 on: January 30, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »
No "bunging" - yesterday was the complete opposite of "bunge" ;)

Yeah that could very well just be your body adjusting and...cleaning itself out.  If it continues of r more than a day or two, having a little extra fiber would help, ground flax, chia, psyllium.

Your body is used to producing a lot of extra bulk with bread products as well, if you are eating more nutrient dense foods there is less to get rid of.

I generally find the 100%-ing much easier than moderation. Interesting link here if you haven't seen it, I've been sharing it around lately: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/health-and-wellbeing/the-100-per-cent-rule-the-simple-advice-that-changed-my-life-20160825-gr16da.html

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1937 on: January 31, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
Today is my last day of whole30! I can't believe I did it!  The weightloss has been great, I don't necessarily feel much different but maybe when I start reintroducing things I'll notice.  First up, a glass of red wine!

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1938 on: January 31, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
Today is my last day of whole30! I can't believe I did it!  The weightloss has been great, I don't necessarily feel much different but maybe when I start reintroducing things I'll notice.  First up, a glass of red wine!

WAHOOOO!!! CONGRATS ON FINISHING YOUR WHOLE 30, BabyShark!!

Looking forward to updates and seeing how things go for you for reintro!

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1939 on: January 31, 2017, 10:28:52 AM »
Congrats Babyshark!

Major props to whoever posted the salt and pepper chicken wings a few weeks ago. I made drumsticks for guests last night and they were a huge hit and fairly easy to make too. The kids were begging for more "bones". http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/amazing-salt-and-pepper-chicken-wings/

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1940 on: January 31, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »
Congrats Babyshark!

Major props to whoever posted the salt and pepper chicken wings a few weeks ago. I made drumsticks for guests last night and they were a huge hit and fairly easy to make too. The kids were begging for more "bones". http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/amazing-salt-and-pepper-chicken-wings/

Aren't they awesome? I did them with thighs last week. Much cheaper than the wings!

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1941 on: January 31, 2017, 10:58:51 AM »
Thanks sooooo much swick for all your support and your delicious recipes! I didn't have anyone here physically to do whole30 with me this month. You all were my major support! Thank you. :)

I've got a pot of pinto beans soaking for reintro tonight but until then I'm still on whole30 since my house is so nicely outfitted with nutritious ingredients.

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1942 on: January 31, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »
Thank you!!!

I love all of my whole30 recipes, and I'm betting they're going to go into regular rotation in my house after we're done.  I'm wondering if we're going to be mostly whole30 just because it's easy to do now.  For example, my favorite recipe has been a chicken curry that I've made literally every Sunday this month to prep for lunches and even had to make it a few more times during the week because I was craving it.  I could eat it every day and I probably will still make it for lunches.

monkeymind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1943 on: January 31, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »
Congratulations BabyShark! Way to go!

Today is 30 days for me, too. I'm so pleased that I made it. Thank you to everyone for the advice and support.   My goal now is to do a slow reintroduction and maintain the whole foods aspect of this program.

I'll see what the scale says tomorrow but, regardless of what it says, this month has been a major success. Without question, I just feel better eating in a conscious and healthy way.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1944 on: January 31, 2017, 05:02:17 PM »
Thank you!!!

I love all of my whole30 recipes, and I'm betting they're going to go into regular rotation in my house after we're done.  I'm wondering if we're going to be mostly whole30 just because it's easy to do now.  For example, my favorite recipe has been a chicken curry that I've made literally every Sunday this month to prep for lunches and even had to make it a few more times during the week because I was craving it.  I could eat it every day and I probably will still make it for lunches.

I found this to be the case! Still loving the whole30 foods, though often with a small side of rice now.

After crushing my sugar cravings with a piece of cake on day 31 (sunday) I haven't been craving sugar at all. And besides a tiny dollop of chili jelly on a few crackers, I haven't had any added sugar since Sunday.

Yesterday was the first work day evening in about 2 years that I stayed up until 10:30, just working on projects, playing with the dogs, and reading at home. I'd been going to bed between 6 and 9, usually 8, and sleeping 10-12 hours. Today I feel just as energetic and excited to get home to finish painting. I'm hoping this new found energy is here to stay. Maybe it's a result of kicking the sugar habit, getting past grief, and letting a few grains back into my diet.

Will keep you all posted.

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1945 on: February 01, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »
Thank you!!!

I found this to be the case! Still loving the whole30 foods, though often with a small side of rice now.

After crushing my sugar cravings with a piece of cake on day 31 (sunday) I haven't been craving sugar at all. And besides a tiny dollop of chili jelly on a few crackers, I haven't had any added sugar since Sunday.

Yesterday was the first work day evening in about 2 years that I stayed up until 10:30, just working on projects, playing with the dogs, and reading at home. I'd been going to bed between 6 and 9, usually 8, and sleeping 10-12 hours. Today I feel just as energetic and excited to get home to finish painting. I'm hoping this new found energy is here to stay. Maybe it's a result of kicking the sugar habit, getting past grief, and letting a few grains back into my diet.

That is so great Cookie!!

And monkeymind I'd been cheating and weighing in every day but was very pleased to step on the scale this morning and see a 9.4 lb loss since my day 1.  I never felt like I needed to watch what I was eating on W30 because I always felt satisfied.  I hate hate hate calorie counting and am hoping I don't have to switch to that to maintain weightloss.

monkeymind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1946 on: February 01, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
Cookie, isn't it lovely to easily choose an option other than "eat all the cake!" Good for you.

BabyShark, NICE! 9.4 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. Good for you! I'm with you, I hate to have to count calories and record every little thing religiously. I lost just over ten pounds without weighing, measuring, or counting anything. Yay!

Two things of interest (to me anyway) today... First, last night for dinner, I had roasted sweet potatoes - Whole30 but not something I've been eating. I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible headache. Gone now but it was awful for a bit. Coincidence? I don't know yet.  Second, I reintroduced coffee with cream this morning (starting with dairy).  I haven't had coffee for something like 25 days. Immediately afterwards, instead of feeling energized and awake from the caffeine, I was ready to take a nap. I'm feeling fine now but, for about two hours, I just wanted to curl up in my warm cozy bed.

I'm going to try a glass of milk later today too, but I'm much more excited about the Whole30 approved ham hocks and collard greens I'm making for dinner.

Philociraptor

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE Deadline: May 2029
« Reply #1947 on: February 01, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »
Well, made it through with minimum non-compliant foods (we allowed rice and beans on ours, but no alcohol, wheat, or sugar). Here's my weight graph from 2016 with the result of our January Whole 30.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1948 on: February 01, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »
WAY TO GO ON FINISHING WHOLE 30 MONKEYMIND!!!!

Sorry I missed you, hard to keep track of where everyone is!

Thanks sooooo much swick for all your support and your delicious recipes! I didn't have anyone here physically to do whole30 with me this month. You all were my major support! Thank you. :)

You are most welcome! Major props for not having an in-person support network and making it, that is hard to do! Also, I love this thread and everyone who contributes. I love the positivity and motivation, sharing and real-ness. THANK YOU!

Thank you!!!

While I have found it frustrating at times and mourned the loss of being able to do all the traditional baking stuff I use to love, I have found so many good staple recipes and stretched myself in different ways because of the limitations. Being able to and willing to experiment is important in keeping up with whole food eating long term!

I'll see what the scale says tomorrow but, regardless of what it says, this month has been a major success. Without question, I just feel better eating in a conscious and healthy way.

This is AWESOME :D

This is great, Cookie, it sounds like you have had a great reset and a new lease on life. Hope the energy sticks with you and you get to enjoy those evenings!

Cookie, isn't it lovely to easily choose an option other than "eat all the cake!" Good for you.

BabyShark, NICE! 9.4 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. Good for you! I'm with you, I hate to have to count calories and record every little thing religiously. I lost just over ten pounds without weighing, measuring, or counting anything. Yay!

Two things of interest (to me anyway) today... First, last night for dinner, I had roasted sweet potatoes - Whole30 but not something I've been eating. I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible headache. Gone now but it was awful for a bit. Coincidence? I don't know yet.  Second, I reintroduced coffee with cream this morning (starting with dairy).  I haven't had coffee for something like 25 days. Immediately afterwards, instead of feeling energized and awake from the caffeine, I was ready to take a nap. I'm feeling fine now but, for about two hours, I just wanted to curl up in my warm cozy bed.

I'm going to try a glass of milk later today too, but I'm much more excited about the Whole30 approved ham hocks and collard greens I'm making for dinner.

Interesting on both the sweet potato and coffee. If you haven't been having sweet potato (which is pretty high in sugar) that may have been enough to overload your system? It might be something you will have to experiment to get a clearer idea - although if you don't generally eat them, not really any point in including them in your diet simply because they are whole 30.

Let us know how the milk reintro goes!

Day 24 here, keeping things pretty simple. Hubby's work and sleep schedule is all out of wack which has been hard for both of us. I too have been cheating this time around with the scale. I'm still losing but it is super slow compared to the past, which is to be expected I've gone down from an Obese BMI to well within the normal range. Thinking I'm at the point where diet alone has done about as much as it is going to do so I have to start upping my exercise again. Which I haven't been doing because it is too damn cold :)

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1949 on: February 01, 2017, 08:04:27 PM »
Well, made it through with minimum non-compliant foods (we allowed rice and beans on ours, but no alcohol, wheat, or sugar). Here's my weight graph from 2016 with the result of our January Whole 30.

Philociraptor, where do you track your weight?

And also did anybody have any issues with bruising more easily on Whole30?