Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 255310 times)

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1850 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »
I'm back for R3(?)D9!

Timeline is different this time, had the bloating early but my belly is already flatter.

Fiance is doing it with me (his first round), which is a completely different experience. I always do the cooking, and hadn't realized how much he eats breakfast and lunch out or at his work cafeteria. Cooked food disappears from the fridge at an ALARMING pace with two adults! On the flip side, he's doing nearly all of the dishes, which is AMAZING and should stave off my cooking fatigue.

Dishes I've made so far (mostly from Nom Nom Paleo):
Mexican Beef
Pulled pork
Cracklin chicken
Broccoli with bacon
Roasted Kabocha
Lots of side salads with vinaigrette
Stir-fried brussels sprouts
Turkey sausage patties
Egg salad
Lettuce tacos
Pork belly
Pan-roasted salmon
Chilean sea bass
Scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon - this is our standard weekend breakfast anyways, so I just add veggies for me

Upcoming:
Wings (sub baking soda/cream of tartar for baking powder...for crispyness)
Short ribs
Sweet potato fries
Chili
Roast chicken thighs
More pork belly (roasted instead of pan-fried)

Between rounds, my diet varies greatly from mostly-compliant to not-at-all-compliant. I do love my high-quality chocolate, but don't actually have the sugar dragon to tame anymore...I don't normally eat sweets every day. Carbs and cheese are tougher to manage.

This round is my first with the Instant Pot and it really helps (yay being able to make Kalua Pork on a weeknight with no prep). I came down with a cold last Thursday and have been pretty grumpy about no cough drops. I take Benadryl some nights and allergy medicine during the day, plus Throat Coat tea. Not being able to make my default rice porridge has been kind of a downer, but I just ate leftovers, smaller portions due to less appetite -- that probably was best anyways because I wasn't expending much energy, so why would I need to eat as much as usual?

For next week I'm going to try bigger batches of food so I don't have to spend quite as much time cooking. Haven't hit any extraordinary challenges yet, but I'm traveling for a few days near the end of the month so will have to plan for that.

Oh and grocery spending has been HIGH. Last weekend I went to Whole Foods and went a little nuts -- fighting feelings of deprivation with luxury foods. But I think with not eating out (except while travelling, and a few local meals at a Mediterranean place) it still may be a wash. I also ordered sugar-free bacon online because fiance claimed he couldn't live without it *eyeroll* Oh but our food waste is expected to be super low this month because all the leftovers get eaten, yay! (Usually I have trouble figuring out what fiance will eat leftovers of and subsequently things go bad).

Do you guys always use top-quality meat? After reading about factory farms I mostly do...Whole Foods and local farms aren't that different on cut prices though. Trader Joe's has grass-fed ground, but I don't know how the rest of the meat is raised, really. I got a chest freezer for Christmas, so at some point we'll buy a half cow or pig or both.

Great to see everyone here doing their first, or several-th, Whole 30!

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1851 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »
Day 11, Round 1
Wins: I think tiger blood hit me last night! I went sledding last night under the moonlight with my family and ended up running up the hill between runs to get my heart rate going. And today I woke up with tons of energy and had a dance party with my toddler on "drums" (aka knitting needles and chair) before getting started on work for the day. A special thank you to Adele for inspiring us.
I've also noticed that the little fat pad on my lower back has disappeared. Yes! Why is there even fat there anyway? Good riddance little fat pad.

Challenges: My fridge is out of fresh veggies and fruit so it's time to 'Eat everything in the freezer' for a few days. Frozen broccoli, cherry tomatoes, blueberries and cherries are my choices. Recipe ideas anyone?

Great idea on the wins/challenges format, swick!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:03:56 PM by Landlady »

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1852 on: January 11, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
  My husband noted today that he's feeling great, he thinks his skin has cleared up and his clothes are fitting a little looser so he's happy.

YAY! That is great motivation to keep on going! Sorry you are still feeling crappy :S at least it gets you out of the cocktail party?

Rawr237 - Great job so far! Thanks for the detailed updates - I'm especially interested to see how things are different with your fiancee in on this round! Your list of meals has inspired me as well :)

Re: Meat: I'm in Canada so it is all damn expensive, I think the important thing is to do what you can with the funds you have available. Costco in the US usually has ground organic beef for not too outrageous (I mean compared to our prices!)

Challenges: My fridge is out of fresh veggies and fruit so it's time to 'Eat everything in the freezer' for a few days. Frozen broccoli, cherry tomatoes, blueberries and cherries are my choices. Recipe ideas anyone?

Way to go on the tiger blood (isn't it awesome!) and the body changes! That is fantastic! If it is showing already on your outsides, imagine how good your insides are becoming!

Re: frozen food: For veggies I think roasting makes everything better. Even the frozen stuff.  I love roasted cherry tomatoes, toss them with some oil, chopped garlic, salt and pepper  and roast them till they pop. This is also a good soup base or sauce base - there will be a lot of liquid so use a baking dish.

Frozen Fruit: This MAY BE SWYPO depending on your point of view but I made a cobbler this morning with frozen fruit and the cobbler from this recipe (doubled for a larger skillet of fruit that will feed us for a couple of days): http://athleticavocado.com/2016/02/20/paleo-elvis-breakfast-cobbler/ Leave out the maple syrup and vanilla and bacon. I added orange zest and poppyseeds. 

My reasoning why it is not SWYPO for us. These are all compliant foods Hubs should be eating. He has basically all these foods as a monkey bowl anyways. It doesn't set off any cravings or other food triggers. We are not substituting anything - this is the only version of cobbler he has ever had, so it is not a replacement for something familiar. Also, it gets eggs and some healthy fats in him and provides more nutrients and protein than his usual breakfast.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1853 on: January 11, 2017, 10:03:21 PM »
Today is R2 D9 and Im craving all the things. I even had a dream where I was just diving into a bowl of XXX and gorging myself. So weird! I actually woke up feeling guilty and scared it was real. I know this happens to people on W30, but still, so weird!

But Im hanging in there. Went to the store last night and now my fridge is bursting full of veggies. I had beef stew today, which is one of my favorites, so Im trying to eat foods I love to take my mind off the other stuff.

I dont think I got Tiger blood last time, so I REALLY hope I get some this round :) Just to see how it feels.

Kudos to you all who have to deal with coworkers and bosses taking notice of your eating habits. Im at home with the kids so I dont get too much flak.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1854 on: January 12, 2017, 07:53:59 AM »

Kudos to you all who have to deal with coworkers and bosses taking notice of your eating habits. Im at home with the kids so I dont get too much flak.

No kidding. I've always brought my lunch to work, so no one really noticed. I did tell a couple coworkers and when treats are out everyone has been very supportive. I've even convinced them to use a different table so the goodies aren't right beside me (I sit beside the most convenient table for treats). One coworker even let me borrow me her Whole30 book.

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1855 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:51 AM »

No kidding. I've always brought my lunch to work, so no one really noticed. I did tell a couple coworkers and when treats are out everyone has been very supportive. I've even convinced them to use a different table so the goodies aren't right beside me (I sit beside the most convenient table for treats). One coworker even let me borrow me her Whole30 book.

Right there with you. My coworkers love going out to lunch and it's a great chance for me to get to spend time with some of the older attorneys and bond/socialize.  But that doesn't happen when I bring my lunch.  They've slowly come around to the idea that I'm not going out to lunch with them (which is great for my wallet and my waistline) but they still ask all the time.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1856 on: January 12, 2017, 09:02:03 AM »
Great job N, Cookie and Babyshark! Finding coping strategies is great! Love that your coworkers are supporting you, Cookie!

N - It'll get better! Making things you love like the stew are a great way to get over the cravings faster. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water and figure out some non-food self-care distraction. It is easy to obsess a bit because there is so much more to keep track of and think about on the Whole 30.

WINS: Hubs is feeling more motivated. He forgot to weigh himself before starting, so I got him to do it this morning. He's at 202.7 He was 250+ when we started in Sept 2015. So he's lost weight a little slower, but he has been consistently losing without really realizing it. It is a GREAT place to be starting from. I don't think he's been under 200 his entire adult life.

Challenge: Hubs came home last night and said that he was going to have some problems with work. They are in full day meetings for a couple of days which are catered (IE premade sandwiches and industrial soup from the grocery store) because they don't want people to break for lunch. So no reheating his usual dinner leftovers.  Luckily we were going to the store anyways so with a bit of adjusting I was able to come up with a protein packed salad he will actually eat (I made a middle eastern spiced crockpot chicken), some dried fruit and nuts and an orange. Hopefully, this will tide him over for today and I'll have to do some planning for some non-heated lunches he'll actually want to eat.

Challange2 - It is uber frugal January, dammit and y'all are making me want to buy an instant pot!!

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1857 on: January 12, 2017, 09:11:44 AM »
An instant pot is frugal.  It makes frugal meals quicker and easier so helps the bottom line over all.  I just need to get mine out of the car (part of my storage as my RV is small) and practice what I preach.

My pork was delicious the other day so I will put that cut into rotation.  I have one frozen for next week.  I'm making small changes slowly this wk to me compliant by Monday. 

My phone isn't being compliant this morning so hope some of the above is readable.
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1858 on: January 12, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
An instant pot is frugal.  It makes frugal meals quicker and easier so helps the bottom line over all.  I just need to get mine out of the car (part of my storage as my RV is small) and practice what I preach.

My pork was delicious the other day so I will put that cut into rotation.  I have one frozen for next week.  I'm making small changes slowly this wk to me compliant by Monday. 

My phone isn't being compliant this morning so hope some of the above is readable.

Oh I'm sure that it is, I just have 3 crockpots already :P Although if I got an IP I could have a dedicated soap making crock and that would be awesome!

So glad your pork turned out! How are you finding the shopping, cooking, and whole food stuff right now?

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1859 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:54 AM »

Oh I'm sure that it is, I just have 3 crockpots already :P Although if I got an IP I could have a dedicated soap making crock and that would be awesome!

So glad your pork turned out! How are you finding the shopping, cooking, and whole food stuff right now?

I'm sure I could have survived Whole30 without my IP, but man does it make things a lot easier.  Cannot recommend it more.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1860 on: January 12, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »

Uhoh, did it trip up and eat a cookie?  ;-P

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1861 on: January 12, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »
Day12
I'm not a IP owner because every time I think about it I can't imagine fitting it in my kitchen cabinets. I guess if my slow cooker goes out I will get one.
I have had food dreams too! I used to dream about buffets of food when I was pregnant two years ago. My last food dream was on day 8 and I felt guilty in my dream! Then I realized I was dreaming and tried to go back to sleep to have the same dream guilt-free, but it didn't work. :/

Win: I'm finding it a lot easier to make non compliant foods for my son and husband and not feel left out. Last night they ate rice and I had no issue skipping it. And today I made them hot cocoa after spending hours out in the 0* temps and I made myself a hot coconut milk and cocoa drink with a date instead. The slight bit of sugar from the date was just enough.
Second win is that I no longer have a dessert craving after dinner now. If I get hungry again before bed I have no issue reheating leftovers even with the husband eating dessert right next to me.

Challenge: Meal planning and thoughts of Whole30 are taking away from my working time. I find myself looking up recipes instead of working. I've GOT to focus better today.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1862 on: January 12, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
Wins: Finding this easy peasy up until now.

Challenges: I got hit by a mega-cold or something today and I can hardly breathe. Looking at the Buckly's non-medicinal ingredients it doesn't look pretty...

gelatin, glycerin, pharmaceutical ink, polyethylene glycol, povidone, propylene glycol, sorbitol, titanium dioxide, water.

Allowed? Yeh or Neh?

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1863 on: January 12, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »
Sorbitol is not, one.of the alcohol nas artificial.sweereners like xylotol, which I wish I could have.  At least I think it is, bases on my reading.

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1864 on: January 12, 2017, 07:40:39 PM »

Uhoh, did it trip up and eat a cookie?  ;-P

I saw what you did there...

missundecided

• Stubble
« Reply #1865 on: January 12, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
Day 5. I need better portion control lessons! I go to bed every night uncomfortably feeling like I ate too much but this morning I woke up randomly at 4 am and at 5 was feeling hungry. Made myself wait to eat at 6:30 like a normal person then as soon as I got to work at 9 felt famished again. After a really early lunch, all day I grazed on raisins.

I wish I could blame it on W30! But alas, this peckishness was present before too.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1866 on: January 12, 2017, 09:06:02 PM »
Day 5

I've done well so far.  No nasty cravings or anything.  I think my carb flu coincided with my cycle, making everything hellish for 3 days, but that was also what likely staved off the cravings.  I wasn't really tempted by the gourmet cupcake a client brought me yesterday.  Still pawned it off on the first employee who walked by so I didn't have to look at it though.

I'm in for a challenge the next two days... I'll be working a gig at a venue where I won't have ready access to a microwave, meaning I need to pack two cold meals each day.  (I prefer them hot!)  I'll put together a tuna or chicken salad for lunch, but am trying to figure out what else I can pack.  Probably will be hard boiled eggs, sliced turkey, veggies with sunshine sauce, and a couple of clementine oranges.  Will have to resist the pizza and rice bowls that my client usually provides.  If I can find my soup thermos, I may attempt to pack chili and a potato.
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1867 on: January 13, 2017, 06:59:56 AM »
Day 5

I've done well so far.  No nasty cravings or anything.  I think my carb flu coincided with my cycle, making everything hellish for 3 days, but that was also what likely staved off the cravings.  I wasn't really tempted by the gourmet cupcake a client brought me yesterday.  Still pawned it off on the first employee who walked by so I didn't have to look at it though.

I'm in for a challenge the next two days... I'll be working a gig at a venue where I won't have ready access to a microwave, meaning I need to pack two cold meals each day.  (I prefer them hot!)  I'll put together a tuna or chicken salad for lunch, but am trying to figure out what else I can pack.  Probably will be hard boiled eggs, sliced turkey, veggies with sunshine sauce, and a couple of clementine oranges.  Will have to resist the pizza and rice bowls that my client usually provides.  If I can find my soup thermos, I may attempt to pack chili and a potato.

I'd recommend this portable crock pot, so long as you have access to an outlet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H5V8QW/ref=twister_B006OBRA52?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
It's got a heating unit and you just plug it in an hour or so before you're ready for lunch and boom, hot lunch!  I love mine, it's very handy.

Also what is Sunshine Sauce??? That sounds amazing.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1868 on: January 13, 2017, 07:32:30 AM »
Day 5. I need better portion control lessons! I go to bed every night uncomfortably feeling like I ate too much but this morning I woke up randomly at 4 am and at 5 was feeling hungry. Made myself wait to eat at 6:30 like a normal person then as soon as I got to work at 9 felt famished again. After a really early lunch, all day I grazed on raisins.

I wish I could blame it on W30! But alas, this peckishness was present before too.

I am sort of feeling the same way.  Ate a bunch of chicken coconut curry Wednesday night, and then two bowls of chili last night.  Felt a little too full, but it didn't last.  I've also been eating way too many raisins.

Day 5

I've done well so far.  No nasty cravings or anything.  I think my carb flu coincided with my cycle, making everything hellish for 3 days,

Right there with you, though instead of carb flu, it seems to be a head cold.  I was in denial that I was getting sick until I went home and went to bed at 8:30 last night.  Trying to work through brain fog this morning.

Wins:  Keeping all grains, sugars, legumes and alcohol out of the house and not missing any of it.

Challenges:  Adapting to a totally different climate, time zone, commute, kitchen etc. while courting a cold and cycle simultaneously.  Looking forward to the three day weekend to hopefully kick the cold and have some time to regroup and do some prep cooking.  I've been bringing salads to work and I'm finding that I'm going to need a little more food to get me through the day.  I'll either need to start coming in earlier, or working out in the morning and then working later, but either way, I need to be able to wait until 7 or so to eat dinner.  Other challenge is currently eating a little more fruit than I'd like.  If my avocados would hurry up and ripen, that would help with both issues.  For right now, I'm just settling sticking with the correct foods and not worrying about ratios or timing.  Will kick it up a notch next week.

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1869 on: January 13, 2017, 04:25:53 PM »
I don't know how ya'll do it with colds and flus. I would buckle so fast for cough medicine. Feel better!

Day 13 for me and everything is feeling good. I'm enjoying all the hot meals I'm getting instead of cold, sweet things.
I've gotten in a bit of a coconut milk blended drink rut the last few days that I'm enjoying. It's because of all the foods we're eliminating, I miss dairy the most. Yesterday I tried coconut milk, a banana, some canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. I think someone on here may have posted a recipe that I recalled. Thanks, if you did!

Today I feel like I could eat this way the rest of my life. I'm curious how that will change over the rest of the month.

I enjoyed this roast last night especially because of the gravy:
http://www.primallyinspired.com/crockpot-balsamic-roast-beef/

In case anyone lives close to a TJs this looks helpful. Sadly, I do not: http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/5-trader-joes-foods-that-will-help-you-survive-whole30/ar-BBy7scG?li=BBnba9O

Happy Friday everyone! If anyone is big batch cooking for leftovers this weekend, please post your recipes!

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1870 on: January 14, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »
BabyShark - Not a cough drop, but I saw a suggestion on www.rootandbranchnutrition.com for Hyland's 4Kids Cold & Mucus medicine.  From the recommendation:
It technically is the absolute closest to Whole30-compliant I could find. Citric acid is an acceptable additive and sodium benzoate is an acceptable preservative. Glycyrrhiza extract and vegetable glycerin are sweeteners, but from licorice and vegetables, so I was willing to bend a bit-- there was no artificial junk, gluten, grains, soy, or dairy
Maybe that could be an option? Others here on the thread are likely better able to tell you if it passes muster or not. I hope you're able to find suitable relief.

I just wanted to highlight this suggestion for Cookie and others struggling with colds right now.

I have spent the last few days going over this entire thread. Wow there is a lot here! A couple of follow-ups:

10dollarsatatime: Have you noticed any lessening of your fibro symptoms?

Rawr237: How are things going with the Mr. joining you this time around looking back at a couple of previous rounds you mentioned it was really a struggle getting him to understand  the whats and whys you were doing this. What changed/ Why did he decide to do a round wit you?

Wins:
 - Survived Tutoring and avoided the sugar-filled tea. It was a bit of a struggle, luckily I had a translator with me...although imperfect, my student might think I have diabetes. oh well :D
 - Every time we do a whole 30 it takes a while for our bodies to sort out how much food we need. Last night ALL I wanted was some popcorn. had a few cashews and dried berries instead. Doesn't solve the snacking need but at least doing it healthier while bodies sort out.
 - Made a big batch of ragatooie so have 6 frozen lunches ready to go in the freezer. That means I can make dinners for at least a week and not have to worry about always having leftovers for Hubby's lunch. WIN!!

Challenges:
 - We are both having trouble adapting to hubby's early morning work schedule. I've been falling asleep sitting up at 6pm. The unfortunate part is then I get a second wind but should be going to bed around 9:30. So that doesn't happen and I stay up to late trying to fall asleep, or it does happen and I"m wide awake at 2am.

How is everyone doing? What are your wins and challenges? What new insights are you having?

monkeymind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1871 on: January 14, 2017, 07:51:02 PM »
Round one, day thirteen here. I'm still on track.

Win: I've definitely got extra room in my pants these days. I even had to pull a pair from rotation that just got to be too big.

Challenge: I share an office with a very opinionated and judgemental dieter. She's an avid Weight Watcher and doesn't think kindly of any other approach. It's just easier to fly under the radar than even mention Whole 30. I disguise my "weird" eating as bringing from home to save money. In the scheme of things, not a big deal, but irritating none the less.

On the bright side, I don't have to constantly pull out my phone to calculate points and I seem to be having an easier time avoiding sugary snacks than she is.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1872 on: January 15, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »
I succeeded at my first real social challenge last night! I went to a friends birthday party with loads of chocolate, crackers, cheese, cake, etc. and I avoided it all! I did eat a lot of the fruit, veggies, and drank quite a few glasses of water! Everyone was raving about the cake, but I wasn't even that tempted. When I went to eat my first strawberry, out of habit I moved to dip it in the whipped cream, but caught myself with half an inch to spare! Whew! I even skipped the little sausage things, not knowing for sure what was in them. Proud. :)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1873 on: January 15, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »

Not yet, really.  But today marks my day 8, so I'm still going through all the miserable transition stuff.   (I was exhausted yesterday!)  If anything, it was worse up until this morning when I'm feeling pretty good.  But then, it's always come in waves for me.  I'm optimistic though.

Survived my working weekend... I carted around all my meals and didn't even manage to feel deprived when everyone else was eating takeout from Noodles and Company.  Went to McDs after the show last night just to hang with the crew and performers.  They all asked why I wasn't having an icecream and were very supportive when I told them I was doing the Whole30.  A bunch of them had actually done it before, with varying degrees of success.

Today, I batch cook for the upcoming week.  I'm making an unstuffed pepper shepherd's pie, and roasting chicken thighs with a mixture of sweet potatoes and purple potatoes.  I think I'll throw together some tuna cakes as well.  This past week was the first time I'd had tuna in a long time, and it's agreeing with me.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1874 on: January 15, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »

Round one, day thirteen here. I'm still on track.

Win: I've definitely got extra room in my pants these days. I even had to pull a pair from rotation that just got to be too big.

Challenge: I share an office with a very opinionated and judgemental dieter. She's an avid Weight Watcher and doesn't think kindly of any other approach. It's just easier to fly under the radar than even mention Whole 30. I disguise my "weird" eating as bringing from home to save money. In the scheme of things, not a big deal, but irritating none the less.

On the bright side, I don't have to constantly pull out my phone to calculate points and I seem to be having an easier time avoiding sugary snacks than she is.

Way to go Monkeymind! It is so awesome to get rid of pants because they become too big!

If you have more weight to lose, I would suggest buying a belt with lots of holes! I found a great one that has the holes as part of the design so you can tighten it up the whole length of the belt. I grumbled because it was 2x the cost of all the other belts, but it has been a life-saver. Otherwise, even trying to thrift store shop you spend a lot of money on clothing!

RE co-worker: I don't phrase anything as "diet" if asked by someone I don't want to get into it with, I just say I'm trying to figure out some of my food allergies. There is definitely a difference between a "diet" something you are on short term and establishing eating patterns you may choose to make a lifestyle.

Just like the old and outdated saying "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" the WW program has some issues from my point of view. I don't know how many times I have heard a friend say "Well if I skip breakfast and have some veggies for lunch, I can have an extra appetizer tonight and still be within my points!" The quality and nutrition of food matters. Dealing with the "why" behind your food choices matter. Now I do realize that there is the group part of WW that covers some of that stuff. It's just not sustainable long term because you are learning a new system of eating (points) but you never really figure out how to eat the best way FOR YOU so inevitably people can't stay on the points system long term and in the process of yo-yo dieting it wrecks their metabolism. I have tried most of the diets out there over the years, nothing has ever worked. I use to think I was broken. Now I realize the focus on "dieting" vs. creating a lifestyle that is sustainable is what is broken.

Off soapbox! :)

I succeeded at my first real social challenge last night! I went to a friends birthday party with loads of chocolate, crackers, cheese, cake, etc. and I avoided it all! I did eat a lot of the fruit, veggies, and drank quite a few glasses of water! Everyone was raving about the cake, but I wasn't even that tempted. When I went to eat my first strawberry, out of habit I moved to dip it in the whipped cream, but caught myself with half an inch to spare! Whew! I even skipped the little sausage things, not knowing for sure what was in them. Proud. :)

That is awesome, Cookie, Way to win! Good call on staying away from those little sausages and enjoying the fruit! It gets easier and it is so freeing when you get to the point where you realize that good doesn't have control over you anymore.

Not yet, really.  But today marks my day 8, so I'm still going through all the miserable transition stuff.   (I was exhausted yesterday!)  If anything, it was worse up until this morning when I'm feeling pretty good.  But then, it's always come in waves for me.  I'm optimistic though.

I got worse before I got better as well. There is a bunch of detoxing your body has to do.  If it comes in waves or as I say "Flare ups" there is a good chance it is being triggered by something (for me it was the gluten) just want to keep track of your experiences because your the first person other then myself who is doing this so far who has the same issues and I am really, really hoping they will clear up for you.

Way to go on packing your own food and surviving your work weened and surviving socializing at McD's those are all huge wins!

Tonight I am making Nom-nom's tuna cakes with frozen cod instead of tuna hoping that will help Hub's like them better.  We are on day 7, other than being super tired, we're doing good. Have to dig out our Vitamin D and double check that there are no crappy ingredients in it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1875 on: January 15, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
I don't know how ya'll do it with colds and flus. I would buckle so fast for cough medicine. Feel better!

Oh, I am not that bad ass.  I took the pills.  Wasn't going to call in sick my first week on detail.  Yesterday was the worst, seem to be on the mend today, and need to get out of this chair and get some fresh air.

Have a small wild boar roast in the Instant Pot right now.  Added lots of lard instead of bacon, and used my chicken stock  instead of water.  Have acorn squash and coleslaw for sides.

Tuna cakes:  do you bake them in muffin tins?  I did, and they stuck terribly even though I greased the tins.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1876 on: January 15, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »

Have a small wild boar roast in the Instant Pot right now.  Added lots of lard instead of bacon, and used my chicken stock  instead of water.  Have acorn squash and coleslaw for sides.

Tuna cakes:  do you bake them in muffin tins?  I did, and they stuck terribly even though I greased the tins.
wow, that boar roast sounds AMAZING!! I just do them more like traditional cakes and pan fry them. Easier, less clean-up, more crispy that way too. Not as portable, but I just have them for breakfast so would be reheating them anyways.

Speaking of breakfast, I suppose I should drag myself up and make some. I love breakfast foods, I just hate actually eating at breakfast time, this is something I am trying to improve during this Whole 30.

monkeymind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1877 on: January 15, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »
I had a sugar dream last night. I dreamt that I accidentally ate gumballs and, when I realized it, I was SO mad.

I can't believe I wasted a cheat dream on gumballs.  I didn't even get to enjoy a guilt-free decadent desert or anything. ;-)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1878 on: January 15, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »
Lol, gumballs...

The board is excellent!  Was nervous because I've never had it and bought on impulse because it was marked down (but still not cheap), then started wondering wtf I was going to do with it, and whether it was going to be very gamey.  Not gamey at all, just really flavorful compared to pork.  Poured the extra liquid back in with my chicken stock to make a nice soup later this week.  Will shred the rest and eat with baked sweet potatoes for the next few dinners.

missundecided

• Stubble
« Reply #1879 on: January 15, 2017, 05:45:25 PM »
I didn't even think about the ingredients in my vitamin d pills! Soybean oil. Hmmm. I still have two bottles to work through so debating if I should just stop taking them for the time being or try to find a replacement.

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1880 on: January 16, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »
Day 16. I'm over the hump and I survived another set of house guests this weekend. I even made them w*ffles this morning. They only poked fun at me a little bit. Stuff like "What CAN you eat?" or "Is this the diet of No Fun?". They don't understand, but that's ok. That's how I was when my previous coworkers were all doing it a few years ago. Now I'm on the bandwagon and my previous coworkers are all on to something called 21 day fix which sounds like a portion control and exercise plan.

Wins: I went out to eat yesterday at a German restaurant. It was surprisingly easy to eat W30 there. Two pork and apple sausages which are made at the restaurant (without sugar) with sides of roasted potatoes and sauerkraut.

Challenges: I'm struggling with acid reflux more so since starting Whole30 which seems to be the opposite of what most people experience. I'm guessing that's because I've been drinking my coffee black and eating richer winter-like foods with tomatoes. Tums have sugar in them so I'll be picking some OTC reflux meds today to try to stop the cycle.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:22:40 PM by Landlady »

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1881 on: January 16, 2017, 12:35:56 PM »
Reguarding the acid reflux, try drinking a swallow of vinegar instead.  I've had a few folks, including my Mom, stop taking prescription medication for that and using the vinegar.  As time goes on the need for even that was diminished.  Not a lot to lose trying it.

I'm on day 1 of my second attempt.  Im more prepared this time.  So far so good.

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1882 on: January 16, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
Thanks shadowmoss! I'm reaching for the vinegar now.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1883 on: January 16, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »
*waves*
Hi gang? Remember me? Possibly not, lol, but I flitted in and out of hear last year, doing 1.5 W30s.
I'm contemplating doing another one, as the Plight of the Baked Goods has returned in full force.
:)

Anyhow, just showing my face again.
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1884 on: January 17, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
Day 17. I woke up feeling very tired and not in the mood to cook anything. I did manage to make some eggs and spinach, but now it's lunch time and the fridge is empty of leftovers. Sigh. Can a chef come over and cook a delicious, compliant meal for me today? Pretty please?

Hi there Orvell!

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1885 on: January 17, 2017, 02:20:59 PM »
Day 16 for me.  My grocery bill has been pretty ridiculous compared to prior months but our restaurant spending has been next to nothing, so that's a win.

I prepped a bunch of food over the weekend and it feels like it's already almost gone.  I have another recipe planned for this week that I should probably make tonight so the leftovers are in the fridge for meal time but we'll see if I have the energy to cook when I get home.

DH started night classes last week so on M/Tu he needs to take both lunch and dinner.  I think the problem this week (how is it only Tuesday...) was we both took lunches yesterday and then I also ate one of the prepped meals for dinner last night when really I should have made something new. 

I'm with you Landlady, I'm exhausted.  That's been my permanent state since Law School though so I was hoping W30 would help with that.  There's still time though, fingers crossed.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1886 on: January 17, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »
A quick note about energy levels:
If you're a person with a uterus who menstruates, don't forget that this can be a major contributor, whether you are on the W30 or not. :)
Whether it's pooped or full of energy, where are you on your cycle might be at least part of it.

I sleep like shit for the half week leading up to my period. Just a fact. I'm always surprised by this, even though I've recognized it as a pattern, lol.

Just throwing that out there in case anyone is primed for an "a ha!" moment.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:49:01 PM by Orvell »
My Journal where I talk about money and writing and art and things.

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1887 on: January 17, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »
Just throwing that out there in case anyone is primed for an "a ha!" moment.
:D Truth!

My energy is back now. I think I let myself get into a calorie deficit last night which extended into today. So I just loaded up on a salmon burger (no bun) and zucchini, with a banana and coconut milk drink. Now I'm feeling the day.

I'm thinking tonight's dinner will be wilted spinach salad with chicken, bacon and poached eggs with oil/vinegar dressing. Maybe a side of frozen bluberries and toasted pecans. Visualizing how delicious my meal will be is very motivating to me. Thanks for listening!

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1888 on: January 17, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »

My energy is back now. I think I let myself get into a calorie deficit last night which extended into today. So I just loaded up on a salmon burger (no bun) and zucchini, with a banana and coconut milk drink. Now I'm feeling the day.

I'm thinking tonight's dinner will be wilted spinach salad with chicken, bacon and poached eggs with oil/vinegar dressing. Maybe a side of frozen bluberries and toasted pecans. Visualizing how delicious my meal will be is very motivating to me. Thanks for listening!

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner  - HI ORVELL!! -

RE: energy dips. It can be common if you are not getting enough calories. The idea is you don't have to track, but sometimes when your body is figuring it out and you get busy you can actually lose track of how much you are eating. making sure to add more good fats ususally helps.

Also you may be not getting enough carbs. There is a place between going keto and not where you are still burning glucose as your primary food source, but you are not getting enough to sustain that but still high enough to keep from going into keto. The usual reaction is no energy and feeling like shit. If you think this is happening, grab a banana, if you feel good after eating it there is your sign you need to up your carbs a bit. Hubs went through this quite badly so now I make sure he always has some sweet potato with lunch.

monkeymind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1889 on: January 17, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
Day 16 for me and I'm still trucking along.  I'm thrilled that I'm not feeling deprived. Though darn it, I accidentally bought Bragg's liquid aminos instead of Bragg's coconut aminos.  Fortunately, I caught that before I made the salad dressing I was planning.  I punted and had a balsamic vinaigrette instead. 

I was just invited to go for celebratory drinks next Friday so I'm making my plan now.  Ah well, I can celebrate just as easily with a soda and orange juice as with a glass of wine. 

I've got some sardines that I'm looking forward to eating.  I generally eat them in a nice salad with avocado and vinaigrette.  Anybody got a special sardine recipe that you really love?

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1890 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »
Its Round 2 Day 15 and I had a non compliant dinner.
Im not sure why I decided to do it (NC curry sauce, it had wheat and junky additives) but Im not going to let it completely derail me.

Overall Im doing ok. I stayed compliant at a party filled with tempting food and drink on Saturday evening. Im averaging 7.5-8 hrs sleep a night every week. Im not super tempted to snack, and make filling meals.

I could do better: Drinking more water, consistently getting more exercise during the week, sitting down and savoring each bite at meals.

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1891 on: January 18, 2017, 11:15:19 AM »
Day 18
swick Before you mentioned keto yesterday I'd only heard it mentioned in conversations with my nurse and doctor sister-in-laws talking about diabetic patients in their peds ER. So I looked it up and found the keto diet. Intriguing! It's possible I wasn't getting enough carbs as you said. Thanks for that enlightening comment. I added a potato to my salad and felt great afterwards. I'm getting a little tired of potatoes though which is why I think I went too low.

Bacon, eggs and spinach scramble for breakfast with a shot of vinegar (for acid reflux) and my black coffee. Lunch will be another salmon burger and zucchini. Dinner I'm thinking chicken thighs, roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts.

I'll be marching in Seattle on Saturday and I'm trying to come up with a compact meal to carry with me since it'll be a long day. I'm thinking pecans, dried apricots, beef jerky (compliant?) and larabars.

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1892 on: January 18, 2017, 01:04:28 PM »
Day 18
swick Before you mentioned keto yesterday I'd only heard it mentioned in conversations with my nurse and doctor sister-in-laws talking about diabetic patients in their peds ER. So I looked it up and found the keto diet. Intriguing! It's possible I wasn't getting enough carbs as you said. Thanks for that enlightening comment. I added a potato to my salad and felt great afterwards. I'm getting a little tired of potatoes though which is why I think I went too low.

Bacon, eggs and spinach scramble for breakfast with a shot of vinegar (for acid reflux) and my black coffee. Lunch will be another salmon burger and zucchini. Dinner I'm thinking chicken thighs, roasted potatoes and brussel sprouts.

I'll be marching in Seattle on Saturday and I'm trying to come up with a compact meal to carry with me since it'll be a long day. I'm thinking pecans, dried apricots, beef jerky (compliant?) and larabars.

I've had a really hard time finding compliant jerky, every package I've picked up has had sugar.  If you find one, please share the brand!

rawr237

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1893 on: January 19, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »
R3D17

Landlady - I had a digestive flare-up last week which turned out to by PMS-related. But during previous Whole30's I've found my burps got worse, eating more cooked vegetables and less raw helps me with that somewhat. You could do butternut squash or similar if you're tired of potatoes - I love delicata squash. Japanese sweet potatoes have a different flavor profile too.

Orvell - Hiya!

Swick - I'm honestly not sure why fiance is in this round with me. I think he may have realized that with me cooking W30 it wouldn't but much extra effort for him to join in. And I think it's partially to support me trying to make healthier choices. It's mostly been okay, though he was driving me CRAZY for the first week because he was weighing his food and tracking to make sure he got enough calories...I don't know how many ounces of ground beef are in your portion, because part of the point of this plan is not having to measure! It's also more pressure on me, feeling responsible for his W30 - but I feel that way about his diet in general as the person who shops and cooks. I do appreciate the ease factor of not having tempting non-compliant food in the house. It adds a little challenge because he's a pickier eater (mostly about vegetables), but meat is pretty safe.

Re: supplements
I realized at some point that the Zinc and allergy meds I take are probably not compliant. Stopped taking them, but I'm not starting over. It would be tiny amounts of non-compliant stuff anyways.

Lucky for me, my coworkers eat lunch in the cafeteria (at least one other guy brings lunch from home) so I can socialize without struggling to be compliant. I do envy them their sweet potato fries though.

WINS
I made a triple recipe of this chili over the weekend. Fiance happily ate it 6 meals in a row.
http://www.farmsteadchic.com/paleo-whole30-chili/
I'm doing better with making sure there are ample leftovers so that I'm not *forced* to cook if I don't feel like it.
My energy is pretty good, and my skin is clearer :)

Challenge
Eh, pretty much humming along right now. Trying to figure out the Spartan Sprint fueling plan. RXbar is good for pre-workout, but not mid-workout (feels like a rock in my stomach). Will try coconut water or Larabars.
My grocery bill was $$$ again, I stocked up on RXbars and Larabars in preparation for our training/race.

Meal Hack
It's not exactly frugal, but one of my go-to meals is...
Protein: grass fed hot dogs or roast beef (Applegate brand, can find at Target...hot dogs are at TJ's also)
Vegetable: Steamfresh broccoli or green beans with ghee and salt

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1894 on: January 19, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
I've noticed lately that my hunger is different, is that a common effect?

I used to be hungry and snacking quite often, mostly healthy snacks, but not always. After the first week of Whole30 my hunger level dropped a LOT, and even when I do get hungry it goes away if I'm distracted, or if I have something small to eat. I thought the amount of meat I eat would go up, but it's gone down. I wonder now if what I used to think was hunger, was actually just carb/sugar cravings.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1895 on: January 19, 2017, 12:02:41 PM »
I've noticed lately that my hunger is different, is that a common effect?

I used to be hungry and snacking quite often, mostly healthy snacks, but not always. After the first week of Whole30 my hunger level dropped a LOT, and even when I do get hungry it goes away if I'm distracted, or if I have something small to eat. I thought the amount of meat I eat would go up, but it's gone down. I wonder now if what I used to think was hunger, was actually just carb/sugar cravings.

Totally normal :) Definitely could be carb/sugar but also plain old thirst as well. I use to believe I HAD to eat every couple of hours, Hypoglycemic since I was a teen. Turns out (for me at least) it was pretty much just feeding the cycle and making sure I had to keep eating, and the constant rising and lowering of insulin and blood sugar does a number on your system long term.

LandLady - glad the suggestion to eat a bit more carbs helped. It is a tough balancing act. The first part is getting to a point where you realize the signals your body is telling you, the second part if figuring out how to meet those needs :) I found some good stuff earlier in the thread that I'll repost about the whole keto thing and what is going on when I'm at my desktop.

Anybody got a special sardine recipe that you really love?

I wish I liked Sardines more. I would suggest mashing them up into some compliant mayo and making a dip/spread. Maybe caper/pickle (watch for sugar) lemon juice, salt and pepper for add in's?

Today is day 11 for us. 

Wins: I feel like I've finally made some progress on cooking and stocking a variety of freezer meals for Hubby's lunches. Knowing I have stuff in the freezer makes planning dinner so less daunting. Not feeling great? Leftovers that are enough for just dinner but not lunch, That's okay! Breakfast for dinner? That's ok!

I spent a good three hours shoveling out after a snowstorm yesterday. I'm tired and sore but it is "I haven't used these muscles in a while" type of sore and not the "I did a little bit of work and am going to have to spend a week recovering in bed" type of sore I used to get with my Fibro. So that is a win, even if I'm a little complainty-pants.

Challenges: Still feeling very snacky in the evening, I think it is because I'm not eating enough during the day, so have to get more conscious of this. I keep saying this, and it is nothing new, usually I'm good for a couple of days and then slip back into old habits.

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1896 on: January 19, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
R1D19
swick, isn't shoveling snow the most Mustachian workout you can imagine?! I just finished an hour during my lunch break. It was HARD work, especially where our driveway meets the road the plowed snow can be very compact and heavy. I'm still new to snow, but so far I like shoveling it as a free workout. I'll have to go out for another hour or two later today and I'm thinking of getting an audiobook from the library to keep me company.

rawr237, I think I'll try a squash soup inspired by your suggestion. I'm imagining... can of squash, can of coconut milk, chicken stock, curry powder and a garnish of chopped apple and bacon.

Wins: There's definitely a little less of me around my hips and belly button area. This feels a little like an easily earned accomplishment because I've never felt hungry on W30. That hungry dieting feeling is my main complaint about weight-loss diets and why I don't do them. W30 is definitely busting my preconceptions of what it feels like to loose some weight.

Challenges: I'll be traveling Friday through Monday and will likely not have time to cook meals for myself. I'm considering cooking up a batch of something big tonight that I can freeze and take with me so that I always have something to fall back on. Maybe the soup above or maybe another batch of bolognese since that's always easy and tasty.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1897 on: January 19, 2017, 08:03:40 PM »
Ooh, I got to enjoy a cheat meal tonight!  My houseguest took me out to a sushi restaurant and I had a fancy rum cocktail and poke, so still grain free and not much sugar.

I might get some wine and chocolate to drown my sorrows tomorrow.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1898 on: January 19, 2017, 09:15:17 PM »
Day 12

I've felt fantastic for the past few days.  Tired in turns, but my fibro symptoms are lessening.  I don't hurt as often, and it's amazing!  Add in an abnormally good mood, and I'm annoying everyone around me. :)

I've eaten out once.  Hit a local burger place and had the unfortunately named wedgie burger, which just means it was wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.  This means my eating out budget has fallen drastically, but this has been countered by higher grocery shopping costs.  This should even out, as I've been shopping Costco, and my freezer is now stocked. 

I almost feel bad, as eating out a few times a week was basically the thing I did with my best friend.  Certainly not healthy for the body or the budget, but it was our way of dragging each other out of our self imposed hermitism.  Neither one of us are people persons, but somehow we can stand to be around each other.  On the bright side, he's been watching my progress with interest and is considering trying the Whole30 himself in the future, especially when I told him I was thinking of taking it to a whole60 or longer.

I'm happy that water kefir is allowed.  My second ferment has been with grape juice canned from my parents' vines or with pomegranate juice.  Will have to figure out an awesome ginger kefir, maybe with ginger and apple juice?  I dunno.  Really spicy ginger soda is kind of the thing I miss the most, which means I probably shouldn't start working on that one until after my 30 days are up.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1899 on: January 19, 2017, 09:26:51 PM »
Day 12

I've felt fantastic for the past few days.  Tired in turns, but my fibro symptoms are lessening.  I don't hurt as often, and it's amazing!  Add in an abnormally good mood, and I'm annoying everyone around me. :)

YAYAYAY!!! ****does happy dance for 10dollars!**** This is so awesome to hear! I know for me, it literally felt like I got a new lease on life. I hope your symptoms continue to improve. There is so much you will be able to do and so much to look forward to.

I think once your bestie sees the changes in you and how much more life you will have, he'll help you come up with other things to do together :)  Now I don't want to rain on your parade, but do be prepared for a setback when you do your reintro. and as much as it sucks I do recommend doing it, just because then you KNOW and it makes everything afterward SO much easier.