Author Topic: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?  (Read 241068 times)

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
Re: Whole-30 info thread and awesome group. Want to join us?
« Reply #1750 on: December 13, 2016, 08:25:04 PM »
Here we go, just finished day 2 of my second whole30.  My first was 5 years ago.  Can't wait for all those positive changes I experienced the first time: no inflammation, no acne, awesome buzzy energy, glowing complexion, and bubbly happiness.
Make $22/hr teaching English from home FOR REALZ! https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=4568896

Latest blog post --> teaching conflict resolution to littles--> http://www.mycasacaoba.com/teach-kids-problem-solving/

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1751 on: December 13, 2016, 11:16:50 PM »
you guys. all my clothes are too loose! hardly anything fits right now!
Whole 30 problems.

NSV: my thick itchy dandruff has cleared up and disappeared. Ive had this for YEARS.

Ooh, I had a couple pieces of my kids broccoli that had Earth Balance on it. BIG MISTAKE. seriously uncomfortable reaction all the next day. Will not be ingesting that again.

Im still having some cravings and doing my best to thwart them with drinking water, eating fats along with the template at meal times, and good self talk :)

Ill be starting R2 on Jan 2 and until then, trying to be compliant as much as I can.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1752 on: December 14, 2016, 07:07:14 AM »
way to go N!
Make $22/hr teaching English from home FOR REALZ! https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=4568896

Latest blog post --> teaching conflict resolution to littles--> http://www.mycasacaoba.com/teach-kids-problem-solving/

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1753 on: December 14, 2016, 08:45:29 AM »
Awesome to hear, N!

I hear you about the clothes. I have refused to buy anything new at this point, since clothes are lasting me less than a month before they get too big, I'll buy some new things when it all starts to even out.

So exciting about your dandruff clearing up! I imagine the healthy oils have helped contribute to that :) Also could be an allergy side effect as well. So cool to hear your progress!

Sucks about the Earth Balance, but I'm not horribly surprised, it's still kinda frankin' food.

Welcome, LadyStache!

Shadowmoss - It sounds like the Whole 30 would be good for you. A couple of suggestions getting started. Planning is going to be KEY for you. Definitely pick our collective brains to help solve any issues you might have with ingredients/kitchen setup/motivation etc!

Also, if you have been eating lots of fast food/really carb heavy stuff for a while, you are going to find the first week or so of whole 30 absolute hell as your body detoxes and your brain keeps wanting the simple fast sugar stuff. Even if you are staying away from sugar, simple carbs break down in a similar way.

My suggestion would be to take Dec and try to ease into the whole 30 way of eating. Then it won't be as big a shock to your system. I know that is hard to do with the holidays or "season of Insanity" here - but anything you can do to limit it now will help. Also, you'll need a plan of easy grab and reheat foods for the first week when you are feeling like shit and won't want to cook. Is there a chance you could plan on spending the first week with your BF or someone who can be around to support you?

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1754 on: December 14, 2016, 09:06:18 AM »
I am eating up my non-compliant foods, and putting a moratorium on fast food.  My friend of the Bullet Proof Coffee laughed and told me to just toss out the food, it isn't good for me.  I will probably chart a path down the middle.  As I finish off the bread (one English muffin left) I won't buy more.  Same with peanut butter, about enough left for the one English muffin.

I am not participating in the Season of Insanity.  I'm unemployed/retired (haven't decided if I'll look for another job yet or not), it is just Mom and I and she is 75 miles away, I have no TV, so I have no seasonal excuse to go totally nuts.  So far the first issue I may have is that I'm to take 3,000 MCG/day of B12 per doctor's orders to correct a deficiency, and what I have now has soy lecithin in it.  I'll start reading labels on what is available as I'm taking OTC B12.  I've heard good things on here about the stuff from Costco, so I'll be renewing my membership there.  My favorite tomato sauce from Costco has cane sugar in it, so it will go into the off-limits pile at least for the duration.  I still have a case of it in storage.  sigh.  May give that away.
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/

MEJG

• Stubble
« Reply #1755 on: December 14, 2016, 09:27:20 AM »
Last night we had no readily available dinner food;we were gone over the weekend and had left overs from our visit Monday night. After a long day running to different appointments and being the the car a LOT, and taking a munchkin to piano lessons the last thing I wanted to do was cook.  But, instead of ordering take out I packed all three little kids in the car- hit up Big Y and bought all compliant food -except for two trays of sushi....  Stocked up the house for the week and then we came home and made burgers, green beans, and roasted sweet potatoes (and sushi) for dinner.  Not perfect :) but my official start date is 1/2/17- AND it was cheaper and better for us that Chinese take out.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1756 on: December 14, 2016, 12:31:41 PM »
So "feeling like shit for the first week" is normal?  Day 3 here, and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.  That, and my fingers are swollen as if I had binged on flour tortillas....detox symptoms?

Also creaky cracky neck?  Is this whole30 related or am I just getting sick?

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1757 on: December 14, 2016, 04:39:28 PM »
I am eating up my non-compliant foods, and putting a moratorium on fast food.  My friend of the Bullet Proof Coffee laughed and told me to just toss out the food, it isn't good for me.  I will probably chart a path down the middle. 

I really struggled with this, especially after whole 30 when I realized that all my awesome hard to find ingredients were not in-line with how I needed to eat. Every day I was in the kitchen, shifting stuff around, feeling guilty, feeling tempted. Then I finally got to the point where I just had to let it all go. I hate wasting food. I gave away what I could but a lot of it ended up in the bin. The mental and physical and emotional space it cleared up was AMAZING. So I know you have to process everything in your own way - but I'm with your friend :)

MEJG - That sounds like a win in my books!

So "feeling like shit for the first week" is normal?  Day 3 here, and I feel like I'm coming down with a cold.  That, and my fingers are swollen as if I had binged on flour tortillas....detox symptoms?

Also creaky cracky neck?  Is this whole30 related or am I just getting sick?

While you might be getting sick, the don't call it the "Carb Flu" for nothing, and Day 3 is ususally when it kicks in. The first couple of days, yeah it's easy...then it's like your body rebels and hates you. Definitely practice self-care and take it easy. It will get better.

marioarm2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1758 on: December 14, 2016, 07:00:01 PM »
Hi All!

I'm not new to Whole 30, but I've also never successfully completed one before.. My carb and sugar intake has been particularly out of control lately, so I have my sights set on successfully completing a Whole 30 come January. In the meantime, I'm going to try to tone down the unhealthy eating (sugar, carbs, fast/processed food) so I don't have to suffer as much during initial Whole 30 detox.

Looking forward to having some support and making it to Day 30!

Allison

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1759 on: December 14, 2016, 07:34:03 PM »
Hi All!

I'm not new to Whole 30, but I've also never successfully completed one before.. My carb and sugar intake has been particularly out of control lately, so I have my sights set on successfully completing a Whole 30 come January. In the meantime, I'm going to try to tone down the unhealthy eating (sugar, carbs, fast/processed food) so I don't have to suffer as much during initial Whole 30 detox.

Looking forward to having some support and making it to Day 30!

Allison

Welcome, Allison!

Limiting as much as you can before hand will certainly help, as will taking the time to have a good plan in place! Use us as a support network!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1760 on: December 16, 2016, 07:55:48 AM »
Day 5!  I feel great!  My skin is clearing up.  Late last night I still had energy to clean up after my baby.  Low-carb flu or actual sickness, whatever it was, is gone.  If it was an actual pre-cold, then this nutrient-dense diet must have sent it packing!  :)  :) :)

lol, I'm really excited.

I can also tell that I'm going to make it this time.  After my first whole30 I tried to do a repeat several times and never could!  Not even a whole7!

But this time feels different  :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1761 on: December 17, 2016, 02:02:33 AM »
I ate a lot some of my homemade granola yesterday and felt sleepy/foggy for hours. So remarkable how far I've come from a year and a bit ago when I first started my Whole30 journey. I never would have noticed the food/feelings connection.

Still down 50 lb but another 40 to go. I'll be joining in on the January Whole30 and am intrigued by your Mastermind group, Swick! I've never heard of that before!

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1762 on: December 17, 2016, 06:07:27 AM »
I could do a January Whole30 and the group intrigues me, though I'm curious what the "in person" aspect is...

I've been doing a "Whole30 plus peanuts/dairy" like setup recently and while I probably will keep doing that indefinitely. And by doing, I mean actually doing, not sort of doing.

I ate a lot some of my homemade granola yesterday and felt sleepy/foggy for hours. So remarkable how far I've come from a year and a bit ago when I first started my Whole30 journey. I never would have noticed the food/feelings connection.

I also am surprised how much eating sugary things affects me. It's pretty obvious to me my stomach/GI issues are highly correlated with starchy food, deserts,  and/or overeating (normally by eating lots of not-really-Whole30-complaint-food).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1763 on: December 18, 2016, 08:06:07 PM »
I am in for January... sort of.  I'm heading to DC to work for 55 days starting on January 9th, and have been mulling over what I'll be eating while I'm there.  I want to shed about 10# before next spring when I'll hopefully be starting to ride my horse regularly.

The plan I am settling in on is to maintain a Whole30 household while I'm there.  I think this will be somewhat Mustachian as well, as it will limit the number of ingredients I purchase and I'll be less likely to have leftover things when I leave. It will actually be kind of nice to start with an empty kitchen and only buy compliant ingredients. This fits in with my plan to eat out only one day a week.  So essentially, I'll be W30 6 days a week, and get one day off so I can enjoy some of the restaurants in the city and take full advantage of the tourist opportunities on the weekends.  I'll do a soft start over the next couple weeks, and my first official day will be around January 12, since I travel all day on the 9th, and report to work the morning of the 10th, and it will take a few days to get groceries sorted and all that.  DH is visiting in February, and I might have some other visitors as well, so those will be days off, but otherwise I plan to stick with this until I come home in March.

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1764 on: December 19, 2016, 08:57:11 AM »
I'm still clearing out the non-compliant food.  One tortilla left for bread products.  I am segregating the other stuff.  Most will probably go to my Mom or boyfriend.  My only internet at home right now is my phone as I moved to a different RV park and no longer have free wifi.  Until I get it sorted any long posts will beade from the library.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1765 on: December 22, 2016, 07:37:01 AM »
Holiday advice:

Eat a big, filling meal just before you go, and have a big filling meal waiting for you in a crockpot for when you get back.

Swick, I'm interested in your group, but 1-1 virtual call turns me off because my life is too busy as it is and adding another appointment sounds terrible.  Is that a central aspect of your program?  I'd be way more interested in 1-1 email consultation!  just my two cents.

MEJG

• Stubble
« Reply #1766 on: December 23, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »
Hey folks!

Working out the planning.  Found a compliant coconut milk (silk brand no sugar added) for BP coffee in the morning.  I may try adding an egg into my BP coffee.....  Working on some meal planning for January but it is slow going.  I started prepping the kids, letting the 6 yr old know we are focusing on fruits, veggies, meats and homemade food to start the year.  Our plan is to keep all food in the house compliant.  Mr. six was concerned about the icecream social at school- I let him know thats not a problem :) we are just not going to BUY icecream for the house in January.

Swick- I'd love to join up a group like that but I'm not sure if it would fit in my schedule. 

I am planning on trying some breakfast casserole recipes.  Any other QUICK and easy breakfast options?  Kids usually have either eggs or oatmeal for breakfast.  Our littlest kiddo is allergic or eggs and just starting to eat breakfast with the rest of the family.  I know we can just do leftovers or give him sweet potato and avocado for breakfast but it would be nice to have a good option for everyone.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1767 on: December 23, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »
Done with work until Tuesday and sitting down for a bit of planning now.

I thought I would re-post my Whole30 Pinterest board for anyone looking for resources:  https://www.pinterest.com/kapelakin/whole-30/

I will be working on editing it over the next week or two to make it work better for the limited pantry I'll have in DC, and try to find some basic menus to pin.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1768 on: December 28, 2016, 09:09:28 AM »
I'm in. I was going to start Jan 1, but why wait??

A few years ago I lost 65 pounds, and since then it's crept back up 35. I don't ever want to slide back all the way where I was, but it's getting dangerously close already. I've been trying halfheartedly to lose weight the last year, lost 10, gained 10. So here I am. I need to do something serious and shake things up a bit. I need to get real, like the first time I lost weight so successfully.

My goal is 31 pounds in the next 31 weeks, but for now I'm working on step one. January goal: Whole 30, starting Friday Dec 30. I know the carb cravings suck to get through the first few days, and without a goal I haven't been able to break through this tough wall recently. In fact, I find myself WAY more sugar and carb craving than usual over the past few months.

The good news is, I have a freezer full of meat and garden veggies that I need to work through, and a few buckets full of potatoes which I see are now allowed! I just need to stop making bread, and to hide the rice, flour, sugar, butter, soy sauce, oatmeal, and yogurt.

I can do this, ya? I have a day and a half to figure out a game plan, learn the rules, and hide or use up the not-allowed foods in my house.

I'm excited. :)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1769 on: December 28, 2016, 11:04:54 AM »
I'm pushing my start date back a week.  For Christmas, I'm taking my Mom to afternoon tea at the Grand America.  Pricey, but everyone I've talked to says worth it.  It's something we've never done before, and I try to have all of my Mom's gifts be experiences.  A couple of years ago, I took her for a mani/pedi.  First either of us had ever had. :)

Anywho.  Problem with waiting until Christmas to tell her is that I couldn't get a reservation this week.  So we're going next Saturday and I'll start my whole30 the following Sunday. 

The book came in at the library this week, so I've been reading through it.  I'm working on prepping ingredients; chopping, parcooking, and freezing winter squash, freezing frittatas, riced cauliflower, homemade sausages, etc.  Trying to make this as easy on myself as possible, considering that I have multiple 16 hour work days lined up in January. 

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1770 on: December 28, 2016, 04:57:22 PM »
ARGH!  Help!  I'm on Day 16 and I am struggling!  Seriously craving crunchy stuff and also flour tortillas.  Surprisingly handling the sweets ok so far.  I've never been one to struggle with chips, usually sugar is my thing, but right now I want crunchy chips!  Tortilla chips, potato chips, whatever. 

Willpower is weakening......

Helmet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1771 on: December 29, 2016, 12:00:58 AM »
This is my first post outside the welcome thread but I'm on board for a Whole30 starting January 1st. I completed a double (Whole60?) about 2.5 years ago but totally fumbled the reintro by having a cheeseburger and milkshake on the first day off the program. Hopefully this time around I can do a better job there.

LadyStache, might you be craving salt? I had never put salt on anything, maybe ever, until I did Whole30. If you crave a crunch is there a veg that does the trick (bell pepper, carrots, celery)? You're more than half way, you can do it!

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1772 on: December 29, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »
Welcome to our Whole 30 thread Cookie78 and Helmet!

Helmet - A big welcome to the forums as well! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions as you find your way around :)
The reintro really seems to the key between people who are successful long-term and those who do a bit of a reset but continue to struggle. It is easier to avoid the things that don't work for you when you know exactly what they are.

Ladystache - Distraction is your best friend! Helmet is right, your body may be craving  salt. Another option is to eat a pickle, usually does the trick for me :) All of the crunchy stuff you are craving are also simple carbs - which are processed like sugar, so it might be your body going to "plan B" to get more of the fuel it is use to having.

Horsepoor - Thanks for sharing the link again to your Pinterest, it has some great stuff on it!

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1773 on: December 29, 2016, 01:42:15 PM »
Sent here by Swick, doing my first Whole 30 starting Jan 2.  Prepping right with a big batch of bone broth in my slow cooker today, fingers crossed I finally get a gel!

Looking forward to the mustachian tips!

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1774 on: December 29, 2016, 01:49:30 PM »
Sent here by Swick, doing my first Whole 30 starting Jan 2.  Prepping right with a big batch of bone broth in my slow cooker today, fingers crossed I finally get a gel!

Welcome to the thread, BabyShark! I have a much easier time getting my bone broth to gel in the crockpot on low, since the gel is destroyed if it boils. My mom's crockpot, even on low, I discovered, boils the heck out of it.   It also helps get a bit more nutrients and calcium out of the bones if you add a splash (like a tsp) of apple cider (or other) vinegar.

A successful and lower-cost whole 30 really depends on prep work and meal planning. I don't know if you have any produce liquidation shops near where you live? We don't where I am, but I have a friend in WA who found an AWESOME liquidation place that has tons of organic veggies. It has been a HUGE savings for her. Doesn't hurt to shop around. I also have a bulk place where I get the staples like coconut oil and coconut chips, nuts and such. If you have a Costco close by there are also a lot of saving to be had there on staples as well.

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1775 on: December 29, 2016, 02:17:31 PM »

Welcome to the thread, BabyShark! I have a much easier time getting my bone broth to gel in the crockpot on low, since the gel is destroyed if it boils. My mom's crockpot, even on low, I discovered, boils the heck out of it.   It also helps get a bit more nutrients and calcium out of the bones if you add a splash (like a tsp) of apple cider (or other) vinegar.

A successful and lower-cost whole 30 really depends on prep work and meal planning. I don't know if you have any produce liquidation shops near where you live? We don't where I am, but I have a friend in WA who found an AWESOME liquidation place that has tons of organic veggies. It has been a HUGE savings for her. Doesn't hurt to shop around. I also have a bulk place where I get the staples like coconut oil and coconut chips, nuts and such. If you have a Costco close by there are also a lot of saving to be had there on staples as well.

Fascinating! I had never heard that the gel gets destroyed if it boils. I added my splash of ACV and I'm using a whole rotisserie chicken worth of bones, which I haven't done before.  Doing my best to prep for next week, tonight's plan is to make breakfast muffins to stick in the freezer.  I'm going to hopefully swing by BJ's today (I don't have a Costco membership) and see what sorts of things I can pick up.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1776 on: December 29, 2016, 02:55:33 PM »

Fascinating! I had never heard that the gel gets destroyed if it boils. I added my splash of ACV and I'm using a whole rotisserie chicken worth of bones, which I haven't done before.  Doing my best to prep for next week, tonight's plan is to make breakfast muffins to stick in the freezer.  I'm going to hopefully swing by BJ's today (I don't have a Costco membership) and see what sorts of things I can pick up.

Apparently, the gel is caused by the collagen and that is heat sensitive. The nutrients aren't gone, but the structure gets nuked. It sounds like when you are making stock you are not using enough bones? Stock that doesn't gel for that reason may if you simmer out some of the extra water.  <----all this is according to my mom and Grandma and so on. It might not be 100% science grounded but seems to have held up over the years :)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1777 on: January 02, 2017, 09:33:34 AM »
3 days down! 10% done!

So far so good. I was craving sugary carbs pretty hard after 5pm on the first day, and after 2pm on the second day, but not so bad yesterday. That may have had something to do with the number of potatoes I ate!

I've been letting myself eat as much allowed food as I need to, at least for the first week while I get over the sugar/carb hurdle. It's included an astronomical amount of veggies and about twice as much fruit as usual. Lucky for me, I have enough frozen garden veggies ready to go to survive a few more months at his rate if I had to.

Also I've been adding wayyyy more herbs and salt than usual to my food, with fantastic results.

Today is my first day at work while doing Whole30. I was worried it would be a tough one since I have less food options and need to avoid the treats people bring in, so I made all sorts of food last night and brought in nearly 2 days worth, just in case I needed it. So far so good!

I find having food thawed or prepared ready to go is HUGE for my success so far. Also stir fried swiss chard, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, with herbs and salt is F'ing amazing delicious!

Also, sauces! I bought some almond/coconut milk (the only coconut milk at my store had soy in it) with the intention of making some sauce with it. Does anyone have any recommendations or favorites they want to share?

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #1778 on: January 02, 2017, 10:17:44 PM »
I started Round 2 today. I was compliant all day, even though I made turkey and gravy calzones for my family for dinner and they looked really amazing. LOL.

I really find having premade components in the fridge helps SO Much. cooked spagetti squash, some soups, broths, etc just waiting to go.

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1779 on: January 03, 2017, 05:01:31 AM »
I am back after 2 weeks off :-)  Planning to continue where I left off in mid-December and looking forward to hanging out with you all again.  I started another Whole 30 yesterday (with the exception for milk for my morning coffee for now - I may switch to black tea later in the month).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1780 on: January 03, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »
This WaPo writer is doing a second W30 while four of her co-workers do four other diets for the month.  Should be interesting to see how it all turns out.  Whole30, take 2: what I'll do differently this time
5 diets, a single resolution

I'm eating better than I was in the cookie avalanche that was December, but still not fully compliant.  Ran out of cream and have switched to coconut oil coffee, but still eating Kerrygold cheese.  Made a big pot of compliant Thom ka gai last night. Kind of a balance between eating well and using up perishable ingredients DH won't use while I'm gone. Felt like garbage yesterday but I don't think it was diet-related.

Discovered that I have The Paleo Cure by Chris Kresser on my Kindle, so I read through some of that the other night.  Since I'm not doing W30 for real, and my main goal is to lose some weight, I'm settling on going low carb for breakfast and lunch, and then eating some carbs each night.  I'll probably just have coffee with egg and coconut oil for breakfast, then a lunch of tuna or chicken salad and maybe some berries or a small orange, then a larger dinner with baked sweet potato or similar, so I'll be around 100-120 grams of carbs and restricting my carb intake to about a 6 hour window each day, but not strictly intermittent fasting.  This is all predicated on getting my butt out of bed and working out before work 3 days a week.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:39:07 AM by horsepoor »

ZiziPB

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1781 on: January 03, 2017, 07:59:05 AM »
This WaPo writer is doing a second W30 while four of her co-workers do four other diets for the month.  Should be interesting to see how it all turns out.  Whole30, take 2: what I'll do differently this time
5 diets, a single resolution

I'm eating better than I was in the cookie avalanche that was December, but still not fully compliant.  Ran out of cream and have switched to coconut oil coffee, but still eating Kerrygold cheese.  Made a big pot of compliant Thom ka gai last night. Kind of a balance between eating well and using up perishable ingredients DH won't use while I'm gone. Felt like garbage yesterday but I don't think it was diet-related.

Discovered that I have The Paleo Cure by Chris Kresser on my Kindle, so I read through some of that the other night.  Since I'm not doing W30 for real, and my main goal is to lose some weight, I'm settling on going low carb for breakfast and lunch, and then eating some carbs each night.  I'll probably just have coffee with egg and coconut oil for breakfast, then a lunch of tuna or chicken salad and maybe some berries or a small orange, then a larger dinner with baked sweet potato or similar, so I'll be around 100-120 grams of carbs and restricting my carb intake to about a 6 hour window each day, but not strictly intermittent fasting.  This is all predicated on getting my butt out of bed and working out before work 3 days a week.

Sounds very much like what I am doing in January as well. 

I did a strict Whole 30 in November, then the slightly modified one like you are doing in the first half of December.  Then ate a whole bunch of non-compliant foods for the rest of the month and now I'm back to where I left off in December.  My main goal is to lose weight - I'd like to go down 10 lbs by mid-March.

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1782 on: January 03, 2017, 11:19:59 AM »
I am pretty much compliant I think. Sunday I had a few handfuls of nuts for breakfast as my bf was out of eggs for the first time ever when I've been there, then I stopped at McDinalds and got two sausage egg McMuffin hold the muffin and cheese.  Not sure the sausage was totally compliant but I did my best.  Mostly fruit and coffee and dates until last night.  I ate about 1/4 of a Walmart roasted chicken.  I do have some veggies to cook today and I got the coconut milkto make it into a curry.  No bread or grains or dairy or sugar.  Lots of bananas and grapes and dates so I'm not missing the sugar stuff at all so far as I'm getting plenty.

MEJG

• Stubble
« Reply #1783 on: January 03, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
Yesterday was R1D1.  I stayed at my father's house a night longer than expected for the holidays.  So I woke up yesterday morning and made a compliant breakfast there: broccoli sautéed in olive oil, over easy egg, 1/4 avocado and 2 slices of complaint bacon.  I skipped the coffee since he makes it super strong and bitter and I didn't have any CCO or ghee to make BP coffee with, paid dearly with a headache all day for that choice.

Didn't have a scale with me yesterday, so weighed and measured today.

Today I'm home, so easier to eat well.  I finally cleaned out our pantry of all non-complaint ingredients this morning.  So far, so good.  I have a head cold and had that caffeine headache yesterday so I can attribute none of my mystery to Whole30.  Wondering if we might go longer than 30 days in our household.  DH and kids eat what I cook/buy- but also eat out (ie at school).  If we go longer I might get a better read on dairy and grains on the kiddos during reintroduction.

BabyShark

• Stubble
« Reply #1784 on: January 03, 2017, 01:20:17 PM »
Today is R1D2 for me, yesterday was rough because I ended up being in the car all day and so went until about 6:30 before I got to eat.  Prepped a bunch of stuff after a TJ's run.  This morning I actually had breakfast, which is rare for me, because I prepped some spinach and egg cups.  Had a hardboiled egg at 10:30 and then my chili and snacks after the gym around 2:15.  I don't feel like I've eaten much differently than I normally would but I'm super foggy and not feeling right.  I feel like it's too early for this to be Whole30 related, so I'm hoping it passes shortly.

Philociraptor

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE Deadline: May 2029
« Reply #1785 on: January 03, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
Doing a Whole 30+rice this January with the wife. Today is day 1. Had 2 slices of bacon + 3 eggs for breakfast, 8 oz baked chicken thighs + roasted cauliflower + Mexican rice for lunch. Dinner will probably be 8 oz meatloaf meatballs + roasted zucchini and tomatoes + sweet potato hash. This will be our 5th year doing a January Whole 30.

monkeymind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1786 on: January 04, 2017, 02:58:11 AM »
You all are very inspiring.  I'm a little late to the party but you've encouraged me to throw my hat in the ring and join your thread. I'm on round one, day three. I'm looking forward to the mutual support and advice of this group.

I'm feeling good except for a wicked headache. I think I might need to find some tea to replace my coffee which I haven't learned to like without cream.   I definitely need to make a grocery run for some staples. The whole30 is hard when you've run out of eggs!

Here's to our good health!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1787 on: January 04, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »
The whole30 is hard when you've run out of eggs!

And fruit! I don't think I've gone through a bag of oranges so fast. Went to the grocery store on the weekend and bought my usual amount of groceries. Went back last night and spent $17 just on fruit and mushrooms because I was already out. Also forgot how much I like mushrooms!

So far at work I am not even tempted by the chocolates and treats. Not worth it. Pretty happy about that.

Landlady

• Bristles
« Reply #1788 on: January 04, 2017, 10:53:33 AM »
Hi gang! I started my first Whole 30 on Jan 1 and I'm excited to follow along with everyone's tips and progress. It's been going well so far for me because January is a slow month and I'm home often.

I think the hardest part is that I got a book for Christmas about baking bread. I really want to read it but I'm afraid to tempt myself!

Thanks for the tip about ACV in broths! I make lots of chicken soup from leftover rotisserie chickens in the winter.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1789 on: January 04, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
Collagen in my tea makes it taste cream-ish. Not exactly the same, but a reasonable facsimile.

http://whole30.com/2016/09/vital-proteins-faq/

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1790 on: January 04, 2017, 01:47:38 PM »
Love coming back and seeing so many new posts! Hubs and I are starting on the 8th...seems to be a pattern with us :)  Originally we were going to do a whole 30 plus buckwheat, but Hubs said he wants to do a full, complete whole 30. So I am back to struggling to find good breakfasts for him, but worth it if he is willing to do it!

Did anyone have any realizations or interesting Christmas experiences? I found that overall there has been a definite shift towards healthy for both our families. Very noticeable with mine as my mom and sister have done various rounds of whole 30 with me. We kept everything gluten-free and interestingly there was significantly less alcohol consumed - even family members who have a problem with it. It seems there have been some major attitude shifts overall. It highlights the type of shifts that can be hard and how important a strong support network is :)

Christmas day was a bit harder as we were at Hubby's parents. There was much less consumption than normal, and they tried to keep our healthy eating in mind for gifts for us (we got nuts instead of chocolate, that sort of thing) but there was still so so so much chocolate and candy everywhere. Willpower was tested...sort of... there was almost so much that it was all a turn-off. Every time I was tempted I'd go seek out the packaging.

Overall, despite serious lack of sleep, we felt much better after this Christmas than last. We had lots of practice eating consciously and figuring out what was worth it to indulge in and what wasn't.

Cookie78: This is a great roundup post for sauces: http://www.planksloveandguacamole.com/2015/01/Whole-30-Sauces.html

Way to go for not giving into the Chocolate temptation!

N: I think you re stronger than I, don't think I could make calzones and not eat them. I finally gave away my flour and most of my bread making cookbooks. I feel lighter and not as tempted.

ZiziPB: Good to see you back!

Horsepoor: How is the Paleo Cure? Worth the read? Any tidbits you could share?

Shadowmoss: Good job on the curry! You may want to be careful about how much fruit you are eating, especially the dates. They may keep your sugar dragon alive and kicking. You may want to slowly wean off of them as you are getting more used to eating this way. I know it is a HUGE shift for you, and you are doing awesome :)

MEJG: How are you feeling now? It would be interesting to see how your kiddos respond. I kinda wish I'd done this as a child, I would have found out 25 or so years ago that I could indeed breathe through my nose :) The breakfast you made at your dad's sounds great!

Babyshark: How are you feeling? Good job on having breakfast and being prepped for your day!

Philociraptor: Welcome! Nice to have a whole 30 veteran join us. What have been some of your biggest takeaways from having done so many? How was life changed for you? Have you kept up eating similar the rest of the year or do you do more of a reset and then go back to eating normally the rest of the year? So many questions!

Monkeymind: Welcome! How is the headache? This is a great place for support. If you don't like any of the bullet proofing or buzzed options for coffee, it would be worth it to try some tea. The caffeine withdrawals mixed with the carb flu and sugar withdrawals is a NASTY experience.

Landlady: Welcome! I would suggest putting away the bread book for the month. It makes it so much harder. Once I discovered gluten really doesn't work for me I would feel horrible just going by my cookbook shelf. I LOVE cookbooks and baking and bread and I've amassed a huge collection, so I felt bad that I didn't read them, then I'd feel bad because I'd read them and get cravings or just feel the loss of not being able to engage in the process. The sunk cost fallacy played a role (even though most of them were gifts or purchased cheaply) It did take me about a year, but I finally got rid of almost all of them. I took the time to find good homes for them with people who would enjoy them and I was able to make them happy and clean out the space on my shelf and in my head.

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's challenges, successes, and realizations :)

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1791 on: January 04, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
Did anyone have any realizations or interesting Christmas experiences?
We went to my mom's house for dinner on Christmas and told her ahead of time of our limitations.  She's not much of a cook but she put in a good effort and everything she made was compliant.  The roast beef was overcooked, the broccoli was undercooked (and not seasoned because reasons), and the sweet potato mash was the highlight of the meal.  We brought an apple cake my GF made.  Overall went very well.

We're nearly through our AIP reintroduction.  Just put bell peppers and paprika back on the menu this week.  I missed paprika quite a bit.

Philociraptor

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE Deadline: May 2029
« Reply #1792 on: January 04, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »
Philociraptor: Welcome! Nice to have a whole 30 veteran join us. What have been some of your biggest takeaways from having done so many? How was life changed for you? Have you kept up eating similar the rest of the year or do you do more of a reset and then go back to eating normally the rest of the year? So many questions!

Big takeaways:
 - Meal prep, meal prep, meal prep. Having a fridge full of Whole 30-compliant food is key to surviving being at home on the weekends, especially if you have roommates. I've always been one to look in the fridge/pantry when I'm bored, so I need ready-to-eat food on-hand to keep me straight.
 - On snack cravings at work: keep pouch tuna nearby at all times. If you aren't hungry enough to eat one on those, you aren't actually hungry. Go drink some water.
 - Missing non-compliant foods? Kill it with decadence! We make sure to include lots of uncured bacon, avocados, eggs, etc., especially during the first week. It's almost impossible to get too much salt when you make all your own food.
 - If doing high-intensity exercise, make sure you are getting plenty of carbs before your workout. I chug a pouch of apple sauce (the kind that's just apple and citric acid) about a half hour before I workout each day.

Life changes:
 - I've realized that losing weight is easy, just have to power through.
 - The converse to that is that keeping it off is hard if you don't have any muscle on your body. I'm of the opinion that everybody, and I mean everybody, could benefit from resistance training a few times a week.
 - I'm more aware of foods that make me feel terrible, whether it's in large amounts or small amounts.
 - Every year I get a bit closer to my ultimate goal weight and body composition, but it's really a life-long thing, and even after 5 and a half years I feel like I have plenty of room to improve.

During the rest of the year we go back to our normal eating, which is Whole 30 + rice/corn (aka the foods of our people) during the week, weekends are free to eat whatever, within reason. We almost never buy bread or flour tortillas, milk, snack foods, sodas, or desserts.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1793 on: January 04, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »

- On snack cravings at work: keep pouch tuna nearby at all times. If you aren't hungry enough to eat one on those, you aren't actually hungry. Go drink some water.

HA! I'm totally showing this to Hubs, he is not a big tuna fan so this would be the perfect little visual reminder for him to have at work!

Thanks for sharing, there is lots of good stuff in what you say! I do like the "Kill it with Decadance" theory. Whenever I'm feeling low my go to is a duck egg browned clarified butter hollandaise sauce. Hollandaise makes pretty much everything taste beyond decadent.

Nice to hear from you, Ketchup! I bet it is great to have paprika again! Since you are almost done your AIP reintro, have you found any problem foods for you guys that are part of a reg whole 30?

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1794 on: January 04, 2017, 03:35:56 PM »
Nice to hear from you, Ketchup! I bet it is great to have paprika again! Since you are almost done your AIP reintro, have you found any problem foods for you guys that are part of a reg whole 30?
We've confirmed that almonds are a no-go for me (very bad).  My GF is more sensitive to coffee than she thought.  White potatoes make our hunger/appetite regulation go a bit nutty if we have them too often (but "smashed potatoes" small potatoes boiled then smashed and baked on a tray with bacon are pretty much the greatest thing ever). 

Excess chocolate makes me feel not-awesome (excess as in half a bar of unsweetened baker's chocolate which I eat like candy because I'm a freak), same with too many raw cashews.  Neither of those are exactly unexpected.

Apart from that, we haven't really hit any sensitivities yet.  We've still got eggplant, milk, cheese, tomatoes, nightshade spices, and chili peppers to reintroduce.  And after that, we already have our date set for returning to our favorite local Thai restaurant (first time eating out together since late September) to see what our bodies think of white rice again.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1795 on: January 04, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »

HA! I'm totally showing this to Hubs, he is not a big tuna fan so this would be the perfect little visual reminder for him to have at work!

Haha, I tend to do the same thing, only with kipper snacks or canned sardines and packs of seaweed.  Haven't looked into Whole30 seaweed snacks, but might need to do that.  They are pleasantly crispy and salty, and tend to kill my urge to snack.  Some fermented pickles or kimchi does the trick too.

Swick The Paleo Cure is pretty good if you're new to Paleo, but there's only so much to say.  The part I found helpful recently was where he outlines the macro ratios to shoot for depending upon your circumstances.  Nothing you can't find online though.

I think I'm going to buy the new Gary Taubes book The Case Against Sugar to read on the plane and firm up my resolve.  I've been fighting off a cold and ended up on the couch last night noshing on chocolate chips.  Oops.  At least they were bittersweet?

My aunt brought me a huge container of Gomasio this summer, and I've been loving it on avocados.  It's just seaweed, sesame seeds and salt.  Need to find other things to sprinkle it on!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:05:36 PM by horsepoor »

monkeymind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1796 on: January 04, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »
1967mama: Interesting! I've never heard of using collagen as a cream substitute.

Swick:  Thanks for the welcome. Two Excedrin did the trick. I guess just that little bump of caffeine was enough to get me over the hump. I haven't really craved sugar yet but I guess that's because I just got started. Not hard so far but I won't fool myself that it won't get harder.

Cookie78: I've got two bags of tangerines on my list. Thanks for reminding me to get mushrooms!

Landlady: I feel your pain.  I got TWO bread cookbooks for Christmas! The giver doesn't need to know I've hidden them in the closet for now.

Day 3 is in the books, no more eating today. On to day 4. Anybody have recommendations for mentally preparing myself for the impending carb flu?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:46:43 PM by monkeymind »

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1797 on: January 04, 2017, 06:55:58 PM »

Day 3 is in the books, no more eating today. On to day 4. Anybody have recommendations for mentally preparing myself for the impending carb flu?

Drink lots of water. Be gentle with yourself. Know that no matter how crappy you feel, it is temporary. Figure out some non-food ways to indulge in self-care - use these whenever you need, as a pick me up or a distraction when cravings set in. Tell your support network you might be feeling icky and to support you as much as they can. Come here when you are feeling low and need to complain/have a pity party or strategize ways to cope.Get to know the timeline:http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/ YOU GOT THIS!

monkeymind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1798 on: January 04, 2017, 08:31:52 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  Aside from the headache, I haven't noticed the hangover yet. I didn't realize it was already time to want to kill all the things!

EMERGENCY!!!: I'm suddenly going out of town over the weekend and will undoubtedly have at least one restaurant meal where location will not be up to me and it will not be appropriate for me to mention my dietary restrictions. I'm planning to eat from my own stash beforehand and sneak in some homemade balsamic vinaigrette and have a veggie salad if I can't find anything else compliant. If necessary, I'll claim lack of hunger.  I'm nervous about this sudden monkey wrench.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1799 on: January 04, 2017, 08:49:08 PM »

EMERGENCY!!!: I'm suddenly going out of town over the weekend and will undoubtedly have at least one restaurant meal where location will not be up to me and it will not be appropriate for me to mention my dietary restrictions. I'm planning to eat from my own stash beforehand and sneak in some homemade balsamic vinaigrette and have a veggie salad if I can't find anything else compliant. If necessary, I'll claim lack of hunger.  I'm nervous about this sudden monkey wrench.

If you stick to the basics, you should be okay. Just curious, why wouldn't it be appropriate to mention your dietary restrictions? These days, everyone has them, there is much less stigma than there use to be. You don't have to go into all the details, but you could just say you are trying to figure out what some of your allergies are, or something along those lines.

Some ideas: Just ask for any dressings/sauces on the side. Baked potato, salad, grilled meat (salmon, chicken, beef)

If there is any chance you can find out where you will be going ahead of time, they may have an online menu you can look at. Or if you happen to be able to suggest a place, research a couple that might be okay to have in your back pocket should they be looking for suggestions. I have found while traveling the "Find me Gluten-Free" app is an awesome starting place. At the very least these places usually have easy info on their menus.