Author Topic: Go Whole Food Plant-Based (WFPD) Diet in 2018  (Read 66472 times)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
Re: Go Plant-Based (Vegan) Diet in 2018
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2018, 12:12:46 PM »
so, uh - can you bullet point for us some of your travels from roadside carnist to full on vegan?  Standard questions apply. Act Now!
Alas, was never a roadside carnist. Lifelong vegetarian, went vegan in elementary school because I was precocious as fuck. No drama or anything interesting to tell. My partner was also raised vegetarian, but eats dairy on occasion.

I've never lived in a meat-eating house - either lived alone, with vegetarian housemates, or in vegetarian intentional communities. So..I know pretty much nothing about meat. But I know a lot about cooking vegan!

Travel frequently outside the US so am pretty knowledgable about how to find vegan food anywhere. Last year I was in Russia and China and on the trans-siberian railway for 6 straight days (I brought all my own food and ate too many pringles since that was the trainside veg food).

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2018, 12:39:59 PM »
so, uh - can you bullet point for us some of your travels from roadside carnist to full on vegan?  Standard questions apply. Act Now!
Alas, was never a roadside carnist. Lifelong vegetarian, went vegan in elementary school because I was precocious as fuck. No drama or anything interesting to tell. My partner was also raised vegetarian, but eats dairy on occasion.

I've never lived in a meat-eating house - either lived alone, with vegetarian housemates, or in vegetarian intentional communities. So..I know pretty much nothing about meat. But I know a lot about cooking vegan!

Travel frequently outside the US so am pretty knowledgable about how to find vegan food anywhere. Last year I was in Russia and China and on the trans-siberian railway for 6 straight days (I brought all my own food and ate too many pringles since that was the trainside veg food).

Wow! I'm impressed. Vegan from elementary school onwards. China and Russia won't be the easiest places to find vegan food, so good job on the pringles ;)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »
China and Russia won't be the easiest places to find vegan food, so good job on the pringles ;)
Moscow has an amazing vegan grocery store and at least 5 moscow-made brands of vegan cheese (all of which were great!) I stocked up for the train on halva and ramen and vegan cheese and such from the store.

China was very easy to eat in - just look for the buddhist restaurants (they have their "swastikas" - a buddhist symbol-  to mark them even if you don't speak the language..

Unfortunately the buddhist restaurants don't use spicy food or garlic/leeks, but they always have simple, delicious vegan meals ("temple food") and usually pretty cheap.

There's some really nice fancier veg restaurants in Shanghai and Beijing too.

You can always find local recs on the HappyCow app, which is my favorite thing when traveling. 2nd to that is the "Vegan Passport" which has over 100 language translations of vegan dietary requirements that you can hand to a host/restaurant to see if you can get fed.

I'm hoping to bike the Cherry Blossom route next year in Japan, and am bringing a friend with me to help translate. I suspect rural Japan will be harder since they use fish flavoring in everything. But in Korea, veganism is getting chic so it wasn't that hard.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »
Here's something I just came across for those interested :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBKnG9Y0owQ&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2018, 07:56:18 PM »
-100 posts, back to stubble or whatever for me.

I think I figured out my mysterious itch issue and it appears I am in the clear to go back feasting on nuts.

I feel kinda silly, so i'm going to just pretend these posts never happened.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2018, 12:03:59 AM »

I think I figured out my mysterious itch issue and it appears I am in the clear to go back feasting on nuts.

Come oooon, don't leave us with that cliffhanger!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2018, 01:04:21 AM »

Come oooon, don't leave us with that cliffhanger!

yeah, @Drole , explain yourself!  Be honest - were you eating laundry detergent again?

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2018, 06:57:50 PM »
It's hard not resist the urge to tell everyone how amazing mustacianism and vegetarian/veganism is, but most people just really don't want to hear it. I let small bits slide in, but for the most part keeps things to myself. Most people know that I'm big into personal finance and am vegetarian, so I just let my happiness and my health speak for itself.

Yeah! It's hard to keep quiet when a lot of my coworkers are on a diet and complaining about not being able to lose weight.

Lately, I find myself wanting to share with people a before and after photo of my fiance's to show just how effective eating healthy can be, and how effortless losing fat is without even trying to focus on that aspect.  The other week I found some old photos of him where you can only really see his face, and it looked incredibly bloated and chubby.  He has since lost 20 pounds and has had to purchase new clothing, and the other day he said his shoes have been fitting looser. I always thought he looked the same since I see him every day, but I guess these days he is looking a lot leaner, especially in the face.  While I was not a big person with much to lose to begin with, my friend has also commented that my face looks slimmer in the cheek bones (but not in an emaciated way, mind you!).  I used to be pretty critical about my arm fat (even if I was "thin") and that was a goal when working out/lifting weights before, and now that fat is gone.   Both of us have been thinking lately we could probably have visible "abs" if we actually worked out.  I need to do that anyway, though, for general health, but I'm really happy how positive a vegan diet has been for us.

He likes to joke that it comes at the price of social/public awkwardness, though, lol...

K60

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2018, 09:48:09 AM »
Thanks very much, Malaysia41, for starting this thread.  Just found it and so glad I did.  I've been vegetarian for more than 10 years, and went vegan about two years ago.  That was simply a matter of totally cutting out the cheese and fish.  For me it started with looking for solutions for acid reflux, but I soon benefitted from lower cholesterol levels and lower blood sugar. 

I'll be interested in checking out recipes and food ideas as well as how to keep up the good fight!  I do talk about it and try to get people interested, and I've had a few modest successes.  I try not to sound pushy or dogmatic.

I've found some really great recipes in Dr Greger's "How Not To Die Cookbook" -- some of which I've used for non-vegan guests over for dinner.

One thing I've noticed when bringing veggie/vegan dishes to dinners is that they always go first!  Same with ordering a veggie/vegan pizza with a non vegan crowd.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
I've found some really great recipes in Dr Greger's "How Not To Die Cookbook" -- some of which I've used for non-vegan guests over for dinner.

Ooh, can I ask which recipes in particular you liked? I bought this cookbook and haven't gotten a chance to try any of the recipes yet.

K60

• Bristles
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2018, 08:53:31 PM »
I liked the chickpea and cauliflower curry recipe on page 130 very much.  The first time I made it I skipped the jalapeño pepper, but found the resulting dish a bit too bland.  So next time I made sure to include it and it was delicious.  This is the recipe that I served to friends and it was a big hit.

My DH and I love the Mac & Cheese on page 143.  The first time I made it we scarfed down the entire pan, which has four servings, ourselves.  It was scrumptious.

I'm still trying the recipes.  I plan to try to Bean Patties on page 138 tomorrow.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »
I liked the chickpea and cauliflower curry recipe on page 130 very much.  The first time I made it I skipped the jalapeño pepper, but found the resulting dish a bit too bland.  So next time I made sure to include it and it was delicious.  This is the recipe that I served to friends and it was a big hit.

My DH and I love the Mac & Cheese on page 143.  The first time I made it we scarfed down the entire pan, which has four servings, ourselves.  It was scrumptious.

I'm still trying the recipes.  I plan to try to Bean Patties on page 138 tomorrow.

@K60 - welcome to the thread!  would you be willing to post the chickpea curry recipe? (Or the mac n cheese ) They sound really good. I may have to buy the book. 

edit: closed parentheses.  /shudder.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:32:17 AM by Malaysia41 »

K60

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
Vegan Mac N Cheese

Ingredients:
3 C veggie broth
1/2 chopped red onion
1 1/2 C chopped carrots and/or butternut squash
8 oz whole-grain or bean based macaroni or other bite sized pasta
    (I like Penne)
1/2 C nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp almond butter
2 tsp lemon juice with some of the meat of the lemon
2 tsp white miso paste
1 tsp stone-ground mustard
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp turmeric
1C steamed chopped greens or small broccoli florets, liquid pressed out
1/4 C whole-grain bread crumbs (I use wheat germ)

Directions:

In a large saucepan heat 1 C of the broth over medium high heat.  Add the onion, garlic and carrot.  Cover and cook until veggies are very soft, 8 to 10 minutes.  Remove from the heat and set aside.

Cook the macaroni until al dente.  Drain well and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375.

In high-speed blender, combine cooked veggies, remaining 2 C broth, and nutritional yeast, almond butter, lemon, miso, 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, turmeric.  Blend until v smooth.  Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.

Combine sauce with drained macaroni, stirring gently.  Stir in cooked greens.  Transfer to a 2 1/2 qt baking dish.  Sprinkle bread crumbs and the remaining 1/4 tsp of paprika.  Bake until hot and golden on top, about 20 minutes.  Serve hot.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2018, 10:18:57 AM »
I recently purchased the book "What the Health" for less than $3 (Kindle). It explains why animal products are harmful to health and the environment and why plant based is the way to go. It's a 4.5 star book and there's also a documentary under the same name if you prefer video to reading. There's probably not much in the book that is new to long time vegans and fans of Dr. Greger, Dr. Kahn, etc. but for $3 I highly recommend it. Yesterday I read the chapter on dairy and decided to replace my skim milk with almond milk. I think I will still cheat with pizza once a week but small steps to a better and healthier world....

Here is the Amazon link for the book:

https://www.amazon.com/WHAT-HEALTH-EUNICE-WONG/dp/1524575747/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521734726&sr=8-3&keywords=what+the+health

Yesterday I ate the "Impossible Burger" for the first time:

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/burger/

It is perhaps the most hyped "fake meat" in the marketplace right now. It looked just like ground beef and the texture was very close to the actual thing. However, it was a bit salty and I could tell it wasn't a real hamburger. Although I wasn't fooled, it was still very tasty - I would grade it an 80 out of 100 - and I would order it again. However, it cost close to $14 (!) and didn't come with any side dishes, so it's not something I would eat regularly when I can get a decent frozen veggie burger from the supermarket for $1 or $2. If I am going spend money on eating out I would rather buy an $8 veggie burrito at Chipotle or a $12 vegetable ramen - multi ingredient things that are labor intensive to make.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:24:57 AM by Yankuba »

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
I personally don't like any of the "fake meat" burgers out there.  I stopped eating meat for a reason, I don't need you to replicate it.  I do like a good homemade veggie burger - some good ones use beets, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, kale as the main ingredient/base.

Maybe I just like veggies more instead of fake meats?

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2018, 01:40:02 AM »
Thanks for the mac n cheeze recipe @K60.

@Yankuba - I'm with you on the fake meats - but I gotta say the Beyond Burger product is pretty a-freaking-mazing.

I'm so excited - on Sunday, my son and I head to Bologna to participate in a Cube of Truth with the group Anonymous for the Voiceless. My vegan training wheels are coming off. :).

The other day, I was out for birthday drinks with my friend from the UK.  Her girlfriends from Nottingham flew down for the weekend. My friend of course announced to everyone that I was vegan. Whatev.

Later, one of her friends said she'd been vegetarian for years, and wanted to give up dairy, but she was confused as to how she'd get her calcium.* I explained that as long as she ate a wide variety of plants, from oranges to almonds, from kale to tofu, she'd get all the calcium she'd need. Also I told her we take a weekly Ca+D supplement just in case.

The next day, I mapped out my food for the day and posted it on my website and sent it to her. It kinda blew me away how much calcium is in everything.

Here it is, "How Do You Get Your Calcium?" if you're interested.

for the lazy, here's the list minus the commentary:

Shootin’ for 700mg a Day
BREAKFAST:

3/4 c oats     63 mg  Ca
1 orange       74 mg
100g tofu     30-680mg*
1 tsp turmeric  4 mg
onion slice   2 mg
5 almonds   15 mg
3 walnuts   12 mg
1/2 oz goji berries  14 mg
1/2 oz raisins 7 mg
80g soy yogurt  100 mg
coffee             2 mg
TOTAL BREAKFAST: 323 mg Ca
*(tofu Ca content depends on coagulant agent used. Nigari=30mg,calcium sulfate= ~680 )

LUNCH:

1 c Lentils      37 mg
potato             26 mg
tomatoes         10 mg
80g soy yogurt  100mg
2 large strawberries 6mg
1 oz avocado    4 mg
2 tsp chia       50mg
orange             74mg
TOTAL LUNCH: 307 mg Ca

DINNER:

1 c Lentils      37 mg
potato large   40 mg
tomatoes        10 mg
kale (30g)       42 mg
80g soy yogurt  100mg
1 tbsp chia seed  75mg
TOTAL LUNCH: 304 mg Ca

Grand Total Please …
323+307+304: 934 mg Calcium – all from eating a varied whole food plant based diet. No supplements, no nuthin’ – just plants.

* My UK friend's confusion was testament to effectiveness of dairy industry propaganda
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:45:58 AM by Malaysia41 »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2018, 01:42:33 AM »
Here I am in my Anon for the Voiceless uniform:

K60

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2018, 12:46:21 PM »
I like the uniform!

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2018, 04:37:29 PM »
Me too :)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2018, 11:46:07 AM »
Nice uniform M41! How was the Cube of Truth? Do you feel like you reach many people this way?

I still haven't missed eggs, so I think they're definitely out of my routine now. WIN! I also bought a vegan margarine/butter. They also had one without palm oils, which I'd prefer but unfortunatly it was 3x the price so for now I'll try the cheaper palm-oil containing alternative first.

Monday I'll go out for dinner with my lab and they picked a venue which is very butcher focussed, but I've spotted 2 vegetarian entrees and one of them might even be vegan (not specified on the menu, but don't see any non-vegan ingredients).

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
Great shirt!

Hirondelle, have you ever tried scrambling tofu with some turmeric and whatever seasoning? It's a good alternative if you do happen to want something like that.

I'm happy because yesterday we went out of a bar/restaurant place and they had 3 vegan options! We don't eat out a bunch, especially for the money-saving aspect, but it was nice to get out and eat like a "normal person (meaning, not having to feel like a second-rate citizen or have to ask a bunch of questions about what's in this and can we substitute this with that). We got a pizza, which was really well-done and did not use fake cheese (and I don't like fake cheese anyway... except those nut cheese varieties, but those are better with crackers). I also liked it because it seemed to be a healthier choice and I didn't end up feeling bloated/full/gross like how pizza and typical "going out" food usually made me feel before.  We also found a sushi place near us that has an entire vegan/vegetarian menu with plenty of really good options where it's just as good as real sushi (yup, I said it) so I'm glad local chefs are offering some creative options. Hope more restaurants catch on.  Recently, we have become aware of some of beer/wine not being vegan due to the fining process, so we are going to try to be diligent about looking up stuff before we drink on Barnivore.

A while ago we were looking at a wedding venue and found out the chef is a vegan "in his personal life" - meaning he'll test out creations with animal products at work but at home prefers vegan food. This is interesting because with wedding food, we would like to try a vegan menu.  Usually catered food for vegetarians, even, are very bad (i.e. some unidentifiable beige mash, usually a polenta or shepherd's pie or risotto).  Hoping to curate a "foodie" type of menu.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2018, 01:37:25 AM »
Tofu scramble with turmeric, ginger, garlic and onion is our daily breakfast. My son eats that before school to get in a big nutritious meal because the vegan options at school are pretty much just refined pasta with red sauce.

I agree with imadandylion - t's definitely worth a try Hirondelle.

As for palm oil - I get you on the $ part - and I totally appreciate you moving toward vegan options but yes - if you can find a non-palm oil product that'd be better. The environmental destruction for palm oil is bad. Esp in Indonesia.

We head down for Bologna in a few hours on the train. We intend to take some pictures and video. I'll post them later this week.

In the meantime, I was checking that I'd posted everything from an interview with a local heart surgeon Dr. Fusco - and found I was missing this. So I did the subtitles and posted. Check it out if you've got a spare 5 min.

https://youtu.be/Ngo1AidKHjc

the tl;dr on fusco - his take is totally the health take - he's not against animal products ethically - but says you should eat less meat - and it should come from natural farms (not CAFOs).  He's totes cool with eggs, but advises against dairy except for kefir once in a while for the macrobiotics (but you can get plenty of macrobiotics in sauerkraut as an alternative too is my understanding so kefir is hardly necessary).

Cheers and thanks for the support guys!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2018, 12:40:31 AM »
Here we are at the cube of truth in Bologna.  DS12 was the camera guy. He did great!

Here are 4 of ~20 pictures in our imgur album ( https://imgur.com/a/RTdzx )

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:42:40 AM by Malaysia41 »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2018, 09:17:03 PM »
Found Dr. Greger's "How Not to Die Cookbook" at the library--seems basic but good/accessible.
Some good tips for savoury herb mixes, freezing blended lime & lemons, lots of grain & bean dishes.

I made a double batch of the blackbean & oat burgers for a group dinner last night and everyone loved them
(including my SO, a non-veg,  who said they were so tasty he would eat them all the time if beans didn't make him so gassy..ha)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:26:03 PM by Serendip »

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2018, 10:42:04 AM »
@Serendip - so satisfying when meat eaters love your vegan offerings. Isn’t it?

I just made this seitan salad based on classic tuna salad recipe. Yet another example where a classic dish may be named by the meat ingredient, the the flavors are defined by all the veggie cast members.

Should be called ‘pickle celery yum yum salad’.  Instead of mayo, I used unflavored, unsweetened soy yogurt.  Instead of tuna, we used seitan. So good.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:50:00 AM by Malaysia41 »

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2018, 12:59:25 PM »
Hirondelle, have you ever tried scrambling tofu with some turmeric and whatever seasoning? It's a good alternative if you do happen to want something like that.

I didn't try the scrambling tofu thing yet (maybe tomorrow morning, cause Easter must have some sorta eggs, right?) but your post did remind me that I hadn't had tofu in forever while I like it a lot! So I got some tofu at the Asian supermarket yesterday and made myself some yummy Thai green curry. Wasn't 100% vegan due to the curry mix having like 1% shrimp paste but I can live with that. I was waaaay to excited being in an Asian supermarket and seeing all the brands and foods that I like to pay attention.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2018, 02:45:51 AM »
My vegan activism this past weekend.

https://youtu.be/ThCCYWTkeTY

I'd really appreciate feedback ( + or -) on the video, if any thoughts come to mind as you watch.

Have you seen Cube of Truth demonstrations before? What do you think of this kind of activism?

I started plant based diet while assessing my allergy issues. The more I learned, the more I went from a health PBD'er to a fully committed health|environment|ethics PBD'er. So now I do Cube of Truths in my spare time ( which is most the time - being fired n all (yeah!))  I'm organizing a cube of truth near where I live in Verona in two weeks. I worked with the city and got the okay.  Woot.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2018, 08:12:58 AM »
Hi @Malaysia41 since you asked for feedback :) I personally find that very off-putting, the masks and costumes alone a major turn off. If I weren't already vegan, that type of activism wouldn't impact my views except to make vegans seem like incredibly weird extremists!

There are many takes on activism and what actually makes people change behavior.

Heard activist Selina Juul speak last week in Berlin, and one of her key points was to not tell people what they're doing wrong, but what they can do better.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2018, 11:12:55 AM »
I'd prefer to do stuff that's funny - but the cube of truth doesn't really lend itself to humor. :/. So I tried to make the video representative of the mood of the day.

It sounds like your reaction to the cube of truth is similar to my reaction to activists marching into restaurants and barking at people who are dining on steak.  cringe. I think *that's* counter productive.

What I like about the Cube of Truth format is that people needn't engage. They can walk right by and no one is going to hand them a flyer or try to pull them in. It's a curiosity more than an in-your-face-you-asshole-carnist sort of demonstration.  At least that's how it feels in person.

It's only after someone's been watching videos for at least a couple minutes that anyone will approach them. At that point, the volunteer is supposed to use the socratic method to get the person thinking about their food choices and whether they're comfortable with their food coming from factory farms.  There's no shaming - well - there's not supposed to be any shaming.

I too didn't like the masks at first. Yes, it's costumey, but there's baggage with the whole Guy Fawkes masks and I'm not totally on board. But what I've found is that by hiding the faces of the people in the cube, people are more likely to look at the videos.  Also it looks like an art installation more than a demonstration.

It doesn't seem extreme to me at all.  But different people have different takes.  I like Melanie Joy's advice on talking with people.  It may be similar to Selina Juul.  It's a lot about showing people the path they could take, rather than shaming them for the choices they're making now. She also encourages compassion - and remembering that it wasn't long ago that we were all going along with the status quo way of eating too.

But yeah - different modes for different people. Do you do any activism? What do you do?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:20:44 PM by Malaysia41 »

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2018, 12:32:38 PM »
Yeah, "cringe" is a great summary of my reaction, and you're right everyone reacts a bit differently. The costume kinda reminds me of mimes and anarchists, which are not the most positive associations for me :)

Humor can be a great way to reach people about difficult topics, as can art, and more mainstream "marketing" methods. It's interesting how various activism movements have evolved, and some gain mainstream acceptance.

With veganism, it seems like the personal health angle has really shifted more people's opinions in recent years, and perhaps a lesser extent the animal cruelty and environmental impacts, though of course those resonate strongly with some people too.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2018, 06:44:23 AM »
My son and I just made these cauliflower hot wings. Highly recommend.

They're not super healthy as they contain vegan butter, but they really hold the sauce that's baked into them.

recipe: https://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2014/2/11/cauliflower-buffalo-wings

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: May 02, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
Just had this for dinner last night and really enjoyed it. Very filling too.

https://cookieandkate.com/2016/coconut-rice-with-brussels-sprouts-recipe/

mudstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #182 on: May 02, 2018, 04:14:59 PM »
My husband and I have been vegan since 1/1 this year!  Woot!  We have been vegetarian since 2012, and it just felt like a good time to take it up a notch.

Make this, double the peanut sauce, add extra veggies!  You won't be sorry, I promise!  https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/12/soy-marinated-tofu-bowls-spicy-peanut-sauce/

We've also started looking at her other vegan recipes.  The avocado black bean enchiladas are darn good too (we're playing with the right amount of salt - too much for us in the original recipe), so we'll keep working our way through her website.

Happy to see so many plant eaters! :)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #183 on: May 02, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »

That looks yummy - I bet my son would love this. We may be making it soon. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:03 PM »
My husband and I have been vegan since 1/1 this year!  Woot!  We have been vegetarian since 2012, and it just felt like a good time to take it up a notch.

Make this, double the peanut sauce, add extra veggies!  You won't be sorry, I promise!  https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/12/soy-marinated-tofu-bowls-spicy-peanut-sauce/

We've also started looking at her other vegan recipes.  The avocado black bean enchiladas are darn good too (we're playing with the right amount of salt - too much for us in the original recipe), so we'll keep working our way through her website.

Happy to see so many plant eaters! :)

Hey lisa_mustache, welcome to our thread!  When we first fired, we used the budgetbytes often. The recipes are always good.

May I ask - what drove your decision to first go veg, then to 'kick it up a notch'?

mudstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #185 on: May 03, 2018, 09:20:17 AM »
We read Eating Animals back in early 2012, and decided it was a good time to make a change for the environment and our health.  And even though we were eating dairy and eggs, I've never really had a good relationship with dairy.  I watched "What the Health" in late 2017, and even though I thought it was pretty terribly done, I'm always up to find more health and environmental benefits, so we decided to see if we could do it! 

I spent most of January making nut milks and homemade vegan cheeses (The Nondairy Evolution cookbook is pretty amazing!) to see if I could work in some replacements for our homemade pizzas and stuff, so that was pretty fun, but just like when we went vegetarian 6 years ago, it really just does become easier to find recipes that are meant to be vegan in the first place.  Some of the subs are nice here and there, but they aren't the same, so it's silly to try to work them in when they aren't needed, you know?

Anyway, it's been much easier to go vegan from veg, than it was from omni to veg, so that has been helpful! 

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »

That looks yummy - I bet my son would love this. We may be making it soon. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Sure, no problem.

Mustachio Bashio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: May 03, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
Still need to catch up with the thread, but wanted to join :)  Though I guess I don't know if it counts as joining since I've been pretty much vegan for about 7 years (depending on where I travel to, if I see chickens running around or if it's kind of a difficult location and I'm depending on someone else to cook my food, I'll eat eggs).  I eat local honey though and oysters...so I guess I'm plant-based.  Looking forward to catching up with the thread and joining this MMM vegan community!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2018, 11:53:18 AM »
http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2016-03-22-veggie-based-diets-could-save-8-million-lives-2050-and-cut-global-warming

A global switch to diets that rely less on meat and more on fruit and vegetables could save up to 8 million lives by 2050, reduce greenhouse gas emissions by two thirds, and lead to healthcare-related savings. It could also avoid climate-related damages of $1.5 trillion (US), Oxford Martin School researchers have found.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2018, 02:22:39 AM »
Still need to catch up with the thread, but wanted to join :)  Though I guess I don't know if it counts as joining since I've been pretty much vegan for about 7 years (depending on where I travel to, if I see chickens running around or if it's kind of a difficult location and I'm depending on someone else to cook my food, I'll eat eggs).  I eat local honey though and oysters...so I guess I'm plant-based.  Looking forward to catching up with the thread and joining this MMM vegan community!

It counts!  Welcome!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2018, 02:29:23 AM »
http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2016-03-22-veggie-based-diets-could-save-8-million-lives-2050-and-cut-global-warming

A global switch to diets that rely less on meat and more on fruit and vegetables could save up to 8 million lives by 2050, reduce greenhouse gas emissions by two thirds, and lead to healthcare-related savings. It could also avoid climate-related damages of $1.5 trillion (US), Oxford Martin School researchers have found.

Yep.  I find it funny when they note the damages in terms of $, when the real damage is the global extinction event we are accelerating our way in to. Who gives a shit about $ when we're all dead, and > 1 million years need to pass for the next species to evolve and try for getting past the great filter.

I'm still on team human-earthling and I'm honestly pulling for us. But alas, I fear we've already lost. Can't stop trying though.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2018, 02:34:48 AM »
On May 6 I hosted my first cube of truth in my own city!  It was ok. With 7 activists we could only manage a 2 person 'cube', but we talked with 18 people who honestly considered switching to plant based diets! So - success overall.

My friend stopped by the event. She watched the video playing on my laptop as I stood in the cube. A colleague approached and answered her many questions. She was visibly upset. She said we need to have her husband and MIL watch this footage too.

A few days later she left me a v-mail inviting me to her house this coming weekend for ... wait for it ... a Brazilian BBQ. As in - traditional Brazilian BBQ. Not a vegan one, but full on feasting of cow and pig and who knows what else. :( ... :/

My husband said 'hell no' to going. "I'm not hanging out while the party centers on cooking cows and pigs," he said. Me, on the other hand, well, I'm going. My two Brazilian friends will be there and they are only visiting town for a few days. So, I said I'm unwilling to pay for dead animal and got an exemption from contributing 15€ to the food budget.  I'll bring my own food. So I want to bring super yummy stuff.

I'm gonna make the blondies (courtesy ScubaSTACHE), as well as some black bean brownies.  I'm also going to make blackbean pumpkin burgers and bring the beyond burgers we recently got from the states.  I think that's probably good enough. IDK, maybe I'll stop by Ziga bar and get 3 orders of one of their taboullehs to-go and bring that too.  Ooh - maybe I'll make the cauliflower hot wings. Those were AMAZING.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 02:39:20 AM by Malaysia41 »

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2018, 08:42:59 AM »
Today I found this article about all meat diets. I can't believe people eat like this

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/11/the-carnivore-diet-all-meat-health-benefits-dangers

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2018, 09:08:09 AM »
Today I found this article about all meat diets. I can't believe people eat like this

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/may/11/the-carnivore-diet-all-meat-health-benefits-dangers

Didn't click on it, but I assume it's part of or similar to the keto craze, which is pure bs.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/2/21/16965122/keto-diet-reset

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »
There's been some posts on it in another thread too.

Actually, one of the most fascinating parts of these kind of extreme diets to me is how the followers of just ANY of them (including some vegans) claim that it has solved ALL of their health problems. I'm like, how can completely opposite diets of all sort solve all the same problems?!

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2018, 10:16:34 AM »
I'm like, how can completely opposite diets of all sort solve all the same problems?!

Because, for the most part, nearly all diets focus on two things:

1) Eating whole foods / cutting out processed foods
2) Drastically altering your caloric intake (if it's a big change for that individual.  Going from vegetarian to vegan isn't a drastic switch, imo.)

There's a reason that almost no crash diets work in the long term (and that includes keto, according to the article) - work as in dropping weight.

I'm not a medical professional so that's just my observation.  I'm certain I'm probably wrong lol.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2018, 10:35:02 AM »

Hmm.. Shawn Baker, the guy who got lab work done and found he was low-T, high cholesterol and pre-diabetic? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/comments/8bg19r/here_are_the_blood_test_results_for_the_carnivore/ 

This one made me laugh out loud.

“Bitcoin is a revolt against fiat [government-backed] money, and an all-meat diet is a revolt against fiat food,” said Michael Goldstein, a “bitcoin and meat maximalist” based in Austin, Texas.

Thanks for sharing. That was disturbing/funny/cringey.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »
Hahaha I'm just watching a video on his blood tests and gosh he's just giving stupid explanation for any of his bad values "Oh it's just high cause I workout a lot..." WTF?!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #198 on: May 12, 2018, 12:07:47 AM »
Hahaha I'm just watching a video on his blood tests and gosh he's just giving stupid explanation for any of his bad values "Oh it's just high cause I workout a lot..." WTF?!

Yeah - and look at the picture in that guardian article that DarkandStormy posted. He's riddled with acne. So gross.

That's the kind of human who would repulse me from an entire party if he was holding court. Yuck. Not for the acne - but for the attitude, conspiracy-mindedness and unmerited superior attitude. 

K60

• Bristles
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »
Hi M41,   

I just watched a few of your videos and I must say that I did not find the V-cube off-putting at all.  Maybe because I'm a vegan, hah ahahahah.  That was a joke, but there is some truth to that.  Others might be discomforted by the truth of the matter.  My impression of the V-cube is that it is a very modern-art type of street art.  If it does make people uncomfortable, maybe that is the point.

My road to the pure plant based diet came from the health side.  Many of my "numbers" were way up.  I've gotten them down, but it's been a long hard slog. I started as a vegetarian and slowly worked my way toward a completely plant-based diet.  Although I considered myself an animal friend, I now realize how truly horrible the SAD (standard American diet) is to animals.

On the environmental side, I think that we are making progress.  If you ignore the hype and focus on how committed young people are, your activism can only have positive effects.  (I have crazies in my family too -- I just don't talk politics.  Not sure if that is the right approach.)

Edited to add:  Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try it.