Author Topic: What things did you do outside your comfort zone today?  (Read 10153 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
What things did you do outside your comfort zone today?
« on: October 24, 2018, 12:49:04 AM »
It is supposed to be good for you to challenge your fears and get out of your comfort zone from time to time.

For me this week: On Saturday morning I went snorkeling in cold water with a harpoon (in a wetsuit). For me it is pretty far outside my comfort zone to go out in the sea and do this. My DH has free diving as a hobby and wanted to introduce me to the amazing world underwater. It is indeed interesting under water and that's why I do it. I get really nervous each time I see a jellyfish floating almost into my face.

The other thing I did today was driving (backwards) with a big hanger. I can borrow a hanger at my office. Guess who is allowed to drive it home and back it up into the parking place at home? And the next morning back under a roof at work, pushing it there with the car? Me. Even though I always think this isn't a good task for me, I notice that I am in fact getting better at it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:40:30 AM by Linda_Norway »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: What things did you do outside your comfort zone today?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 05:55:46 AM »
Good thread. I've been challenging myself and my family to seek experiences outside of our comfort zones. I have been continuing to bike my daughter up to her gymnastics classes despite cold weather settling in. Hoping to get out today to walk some trails despite battling a nasty head cold.   

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »
I submitted e-mails of interest to various department heads of graduate programs. That doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is super intimidating to me.  I so want to go to grad school, but some of the steps (talking to professors, asking for letters of recommendation, etc) are way out of my comfort zone. Studying/taking the GRE is the easy part because I'm good at studying...but talking to people I don't know, and contacting professors from undergrad to ask for a favor like a letter of rec completely terrifies me.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 09:18:56 AM »
I love this thread! I signed up for a pressure points class at work, and will (hopefully) learn how to loosen up some of my hip tightness.

In other things, I started a journal here, which is pretty outside of my comfort zone, but I wanted to get better at spending time on writing.

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
In August, I got a barely-above minimum wage part-time job (starts after my full-time job each day) with the intent of stepping way outside my comfort zone.  The idea is that I have to try new things, like all people, to find out if there is something of interest that I just haven’t been exposed to, and if not that, anything I can learn about something I’m not too keen on.  So I got a PT job at a gym [gym: noun.  A place, in general, which has me scared shitless to step foot in to as a comfortably sedentary person].  I am still working my way through the extreme discomfort, mostly mental at this point – it’ll be two months this week – and try to not regret making the decision to do this (because that’s just fear talking me out of doing something..again..).  So I collect, wash, re-fold, and re-distribute the towels.

You’d think it’s no big deal.  But it’s a huge deal to me and I am so proud every night when I come home that I made the effort through another day.  I’m meeting and talking to new people (scary!), learning about my personal boundaries/limits and how to stick up for myself through a shaky voice (no, we cannot discuss our drug habits, or why you think there is too much culture (non-white people) in this country and why I need to defend my position of more diversity = better, etc..), getting exercise (instead of coming home from a cubicle job and sitting around until bedtime, I’m constantly standing/walking for 5 hours a shift).  I’m growing muscles in places, physical and mental, that I didn’t know I had.  I’m learning about health, about people, about bodies, about what’s acceptable in the workplace, etc.  I am SO HAPPY that I introduced something new to my routine, something that makes me feel very nervous, which means there are just a whole bunch of unknown unknowns and fears that I need to overcome.  Plus I get paid and a free gym membership (another hurdle I haven’t explored yet).  :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »
@Cezilous - that is a huge step, and it sounds like you are getting a lot out of it already. Congrats!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 11:56:45 PM »
@Cezilous , you are doing great. Your second job gets you active and in touch with other people, challenges you to speak your opinion and teaches you to no be afraid of the gym. Soon, you can start doing some excersizes there. Most machines have a modus for light work, to start with as a newbee.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 07:18:38 AM »
This is a great thread.

I'm sure if I think more deeply I can think of something else I've done recently, but I'll just stick with today.

I wore a flannel shirt under my blazer to work today.  It's a pretty casual and nearly butch look for my religious office workplace, but I disagree with ALL of the politics and ALL of the mission statement at the day job and it's merely a place that pays me money.  This is perfectly appropriate for the nature of my work, there's no formal dress code, and honestly I am sick of the BS of the organization.  They pay me well, but it's kind of an awful organization.  So, my tiny protest?  A flannel shirt. :)

I'm uncomfortable, and have a few meetings today, but they can take me as I TRULY am or they can fire me.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 10:00:29 AM »
Today, I traveled to Berlin for work, by plane and by public transport. I've never been in Berlin before, so this was all new. I expected there to be another Norwegian familiar person, but he is injured and stayed home. In an hour and a half from now I will travel to another part of the city to meet with unknown people from a company in the same branch, to have dinner with them, for networking. Then I will try to get back to my hotel in the dark, maybe I'll use a taxi. My hotel doesn't seem to be in the best part of the city, but at least it is not far from the conference center. Tomorrow I will join the gala dinner of the conference. Stupid decision, because I hate gala dinners. But I also hate eating alone at a restaurant. I haven't brought any gala clothes, just normal work clothes which are pretty casual. I should have gone for buying supermarket food at my hotel room, which is much better for an introvert like me.
I just mentioned to DH that it starts to feel a bit pointless to network at conferences, if we plan to FIRE next year. He had the same experience on his conference a few days ago.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 10:26:23 AM »
I got my hair cut reasonably short (for me). It's actually more work than longer hair, but feels so much lighter! Love it.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »
I emailed my senior VP to provide feedback on something. I've never done anything like that in my career. I work for a very large company, & he reports to the CEO. He answered back & was so friendly & polite. Not sure what I was afraid of!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »
Love this thread.

Just returned from a longer meditation retreat (11 day retreat with up to 10 hours of meditation for 10 days, total silence including no eye contact/gesturing to others).
Was seriously out of my comfort zone since I normally meditate for 20 minutes at a time (and in bed, ha!) but it was a great, interesting and challenging experiment.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 07:38:02 PM »
Love this thread.

Just returned from a longer meditation retreat (11 day retreat with up to 10 hours of meditation for 10 days, total silence including no eye contact/gesturing to others).
Was seriously out of my comfort zone since I normally meditate for 20 minutes at a time (and in bed, ha!) but it was a great, interesting and challenging experiment.

OMG, do you keep a journal on here?  I'd love to hear more about this.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 12:26:09 AM »
Love this thread.

I figure that might have been a bit like in some of the old monasteries where the monks don't speak.

For me the alternative could have been to go alone for a long hike in the mountains. My DH did that once, 2 x 2 weeks with a little break in the middle to get more food. Being alone for 2 weeks, a good distance from civilization is very special. I am not sure whether he meditated, but he did of course have a lot to time to think about his life.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 07:53:30 AM »
This thread helped me over the hurdle - I've just booked 2 nights in Germany, the Schwartzwald (Black Forest) region. It's gotta be gorgeous in fall. I was very hesitant, because I'm quite tight with my money and while I love travelling, I don't like to spend money on myself. Well, I worked frigging hard and I need a break and I'm going to enjoy it. Might even get a massage in one of the spas. Ha!
(Yes it's a bit anti-Mustachian but all work and no play makes Jack a freaking axe-murderer okay?)

Ducknald Don

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 09:33:05 AM »
I took part in a medical trial that involved a sponge on a string being dragged up my throat, a most unpleasant experience and definitely outside my comfort zone.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »
I took part in a medical trial that involved a sponge on a string being dragged up my throat, a most unpleasant experience and definitely outside my comfort zone.

Yikes!! You're braver than me. Well done!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »
Love this thread.

I don't have a journal yet but it truly was an interesting experience @JanetJackson
I'm in a pretty solid place both emotionally and in life, but it still stirred up so many interesting emotions and thoughts. When you spend so much time in introspective examination of your mind you really see the repetitive thought patterns and notice how difficult it is to stay in the present moment (even when that is the ONLY task at hand), etc--it really can rock your understanding of yourself. Or at least that was my experience. Conceptually I've understood these ideas before but this was like a boot-camp experience of your own mind-loops.

My personal mental conditioning and habits of reactivity became more apparent..it's hard to look at but also an amazing opportunity for growth.

Also this type of meditation focuses on breathing and body sensations so there was a reckoning to be had with the realization that I was disconnected from many parts of my body and actually could not feel anything in many areas..but with patience and attention, this changes. It's a life-practice that's for sure!

I had definite up and down moments throughout each day, and have to admit was excited to come home afterwards  but my take-aways have been noticeable. I would even consider doing it again in a year if I can maintain a daily practice going forward.
This place had pretty strict rules around the non-engagement with others to keep your work and experience truly your own. I loved that component, others hated it (when silence was broken on the 10th day, I had to go back into the meditation hall to get away from the racket..while others were practically exploding with excitement to speak) :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:22:23 PM by Serendip »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »
This is a fantastic idea, although today I'm simply posting to follow.  I spent the day indulging all the things that are comfortable for me and not doing much of anything outside my comfort zone, because I just finished "working" far more than full-time on the American elections. But I am facing the rest of my life as an honest-to-go retired person starting now.  And doing things outside my comfort zone is *on my list*!  I have lots of specific items on the list, but also love the idea of this thread and just want to find random ways to do it frequently as well. 

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 07:43:16 PM »
Love this thread. Today I uninstalled my water heater instead of paying someone to do it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
Just wrote the editor of a local magazine and pitched a story (for the first time!)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 10:15:09 AM »
I juuuust turned down a client who was trying to negotiate my rates down for a booking on the thanksgiving holiday ( I own and operate a dog walking business ). 
I’m a people pleaser and cringe when I even THINK about turning away money... but I know from the volume of holiday requests that this was the right thing to do. And they were understanding.
STILL... very uncomfortable.  I feel physically sick.

Update: Got a smaller, but easier booking 10 minutes later from a client who was happy to pay full price.  Still marinating in the idea that I could have done BOTH (and stressed myself into oblivion), but I think I did the right thing.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:15:21 PM by JanetJackson »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 08:20:48 AM »
@JanetJackson - you did the right thing! I am also a total people pleaser, and can relate. But, it's not always helpful. Do what's right for you!

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2018, 10:19:00 AM »
Good for you @JanetJackson! Fighting that people pleasing urge can be tough. And I'm pleasantly surprised to see your story yesterday, because I literally opened this thread to post a somewhat similar one of my own.

I wouldn't say I'm typically a people pleaser, but tend to isolate more than speak up for myself. Speaking up for my needs in relationships always brings up an insane amount of anxiety and insecurity for me, so I don't really give people the opportunity to adjust in a way that satisfies me. Well, right now talking to a company about joining them and starting a research division for them. I'm excited about it, because it's a great crew of people doing interesting and meaningful work in an area where I want to live, but I'm also worried that I'd be isolated as "the lone researcher." I had dinner with them last night and, rather than dodging that issue, I brought up that it was a concern of mine. Everybody seemed very willing to talk about it, and we brainstormed what collaborations between the new research division and existing roles could look like. Everything is still very abstract right now so I'm not completely satisfied, but I like how willing they were to discuss it. It was a moment of growth for me, and a very positive experience. Now I just need to convince my emotions to see it that way ;-)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2018, 11:02:45 AM »
You totally did the right thing JJ!!

My out-of-my-comfortzones achievements
- Went to drinks of my sports club. I haven't been a member yet for a long time so I was a bit hesitant to go. It was fun and it will get easier to go over time as I get to know more and more people.
- Uploaded some teaching resources on an onine sharing website. I'm currently sharing them for free, but intending to upload some larger ones that need to be paid for in the future.
- Booked a hostel with a really low rating for a weekend trip as all the good price/quality hostels were sold out and everything left was at least twice the price of this one. It will be for 1 night only so as long as I'll get 6+ hours of sleep I'll take it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2018, 12:29:39 PM »
Spoke up about an issue at work to a different person when I felt that the first person I spoke with was not receptive/didn't take action.

dollarchaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2018, 06:34:00 PM »
I am glad to visit this thread. since august my life has lost normal comfort for me. We quit our jobs, sold our house and moved to the country. It was meant to reduce expenses and have recreation at our front door. that was the easy part.
My factory job was repetitive and paid well but I gave it up. Now I am a plain old laborer in a city park. everyday has constant changes;tasks, weather, equipment, boss's temperament. The idea was a more meaningful purpose to my work; and it is true to an extent, but convincing all parts of my brain how great that is is hard.
Home life includes painting, wiring issues, plumbing and not much "down" time.
The market won't even throw a bone of contentment my way. Down since our move. Getting this out is helpful and thanks for being there MMM community.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 12:10:53 AM »
I am glad to visit this thread. since august my life has lost normal comfort for me. We quit our jobs, sold our house and moved to the country. It was meant to reduce expenses and have recreation at our front door. that was the easy part.
My factory job was repetitive and paid well but I gave it up. Now I am a plain old laborer in a city park. everyday has constant changes;tasks, weather, equipment, boss's temperament. The idea was a more meaningful purpose to my work; and it is true to an extent, but convincing all parts of my brain how great that is is hard.
Home life includes painting, wiring issues, plumbing and not much "down" time.
The market won't even throw a bone of contentment my way. Down since our move. Getting this out is helpful and thanks for being there MMM community.

I'm sorry your life hack didn't work out all the way you expected.
Do you think your move would have worked out of you wouldn't have to work? Did the are itself work out?

The market also sucks for me. I think the Norwegian crown is very low at the moment. All the stock I buy now is very expensive compared to the rest of the year. Difficult to make a profit of it later. The market is supposed to go up again in the long run.

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 09:08:32 AM »
My part time job asked me if I could cover a few shifts during the month of December.  Usually I try to help out and take 1 or 2 extra shifts each month.  This time I said no, I can't take on anything extra (and I had already taken 3 of my regular days off).  I felt really bad about it, I sat there and sweated over hitting the "send text" button with my "no", and now I'm working through why I felt bad about something I shouldn't have felt that for.  It's an opportunity to learn about my emotions and self expectations.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 05:18:28 AM »
My part time job asked me if I could cover a few shifts during the month of December.  Usually I try to help out and take 1 or 2 extra shifts each month.  This time I said no, I can't take on anything extra (and I had already taken 3 of my regular days off).  I felt really bad about it, I sat there and sweated over hitting the "send text" button with my "no", and now I'm working through why I felt bad about something I shouldn't have felt that for.  It's an opportunity to learn about my emotions and self expectations.

It is because you feel responsible for your job. You boss could also hire more personnel, so that the amount of overtime per person could be less.

I once had that too. I called in sick for a physical job (coffee serving/bartending in a theater), because I was sick. I was told that I was the third called in sick that day. Could I please not come to work anyway? I felt bad about claiming my sick leave, even though it was the only sick leave in my 2 year career there.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »
This is a great thread.

I'm sure if I think more deeply I can think of something else I've done recently, but I'll just stick with today.

I wore a flannel shirt under my blazer to work today.  It's a pretty casual and nearly butch look for my religious office workplace, but I disagree with ALL of the politics and ALL of the mission statement at the day job and it's merely a place that pays me money.  This is perfectly appropriate for the nature of my work, there's no formal dress code, and honestly I am sick of the BS of the organization.  They pay me well, but it's kind of an awful organization.  So, my tiny protest?  A flannel shirt. :)

Just following up on this as I've been dipping my toe more and more out of my comfort zone at Day Job... My dress pants ripped in the beginning of the month... I had already stitched them two times that I can remember, maybe more.  So... :::Drumroll plz:::
I've been wearing jeans to work!
AND NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE.
I was very very uncomfortable at first, waiting for people to take me less seriously, waiting for pushback from somewhere, but I do a great job, so... whatever.  It's jeans from now on.
:p

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 10:04:36 AM »

Just following up on this as I've been dipping my toe more and more out of my comfort zone at Day Job... My dress pants ripped in the beginning of the month... I had already stitched them two times that I can remember, maybe more.  So... :::Drumroll plz:::
I've been wearing jeans to work!
AND NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE.
I was very very uncomfortable at first, waiting for people to take me less seriously, waiting for pushback from somewhere, but I do a great job, so... whatever.  It's jeans from now on.
:p

Ha, amazing. Congratulations on your liberation from a perceived dress-code @JanetJackson !!

I am stepping out of my comfort zone by going to work and a Christmas party afterwards and having my SO host a dinner party at our home without me doing any pre-cleaning. This gathering is his thing and I will be home in time for dessert with everyone but I decided not to spend my morning scrubbing things.
Feels great!
:)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 10:29:24 AM »
I stepped out of my comfort zone yesterday by going to a Korean spa with a couple friends where the website specifically says it is not for modest people.  No bathing suits allowed!  I am pretty modest, and particularly in front of friends/people I know.  I find it easier to be naked, I guess, in front of strangers! (In the right context, of course!, like my previous experience - a Japanese on-sen.)

It worked out well, and I had a great, inexpensive spa treatment in addition to a couple relaxing hours in the tubs and saunas.  I think it's important for body image/positivity reasons.  We should see a lot more of regular naked people than airbrushed super model (nearly) naked people and we might all feel less bad about ourselves and more thankful for the great jobs our bodies do for us all the time.  After backpacking a rather tough trail last week and this experience being around "normal" women, I am significantly more appreciative and less critical of my body.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2018, 12:20:46 AM »
I stepped out of my comfort zone yesterday by going to a Korean spa with a couple friends where the website specifically says it is not for modest people.  No bathing suits allowed!  I am pretty modest, and particularly in front of friends/people I know.  I find it easier to be naked, I guess, in front of strangers! (In the right context, of course!, like my previous experience - a Japanese on-sen.)

It worked out well, and I had a great, inexpensive spa treatment in addition to a couple relaxing hours in the tubs and saunas.  I think it's important for body image/positivity reasons.  We should see a lot more of regular naked people than airbrushed super model (nearly) naked people and we might all feel less bad about ourselves and more thankful for the great jobs our bodies do for us all the time.  After backpacking a rather tough trail last week and this experience being around "normal" women, I am significantly more appreciative and less critical of my body.

One of my female co-workers had a free ticket to a sauna where visitors can choose bathing suit or not. She wore a bathing suit. For her it was very new being among so many naked people. The ones who behaved normally were no problem for her. But there was also a category of men explisitely showing off their bodies in a prominent way. She was very uncomfortable with that. Her conclusion was that she didn't want to go there again, because of those show-off types.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 07:36:13 AM »

One of my female co-workers had a free ticket to a sauna where visitors can choose bathing suit or not. She wore a bathing suit. For her it was very new being among so many naked people. The ones who behaved normally were no problem for her. But there was also a category of men explisitely showing off their bodies in a prominent way. She was very uncomfortable with that. Her conclusion was that she didn't want to go there again, because of those show-off types.

Oh that's several steps outside my comfort zone! Apparently I failed to specify that this was gender segregated. There were a couple non - segregated saunas, but they provided loose shirts and shorts to wear there.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »
I decided to go for a solo outdoor adventure today..often I go with my SO or friends but it was great to be on my own program
(and as luck would have it..I ran into someone who I recently met who joined me for a while, which was really lovely)

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2018, 05:04:03 PM »

This is true for me too! Going to gym or onsen where women of all ages and sizes are comfortable to be naked and interacting together leaves me feeling so much more comfortable and centred in my own body. My own mother has a very negative body image (eg won’t wear a bathing suit) so to see older, saggier, larger women totally at peace with their bodies was so eye opening for me as a young adult.

Today I stepped out of my comfort zone by seeing a counsellor to talk about some things I’ve been having trouble with. I’m a private person, and I wasn’t looking forward to it at all, but it’s done.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 03:53:30 AM »
Yesterday I drove two hours in FIL's car. He was picking us up at my mother's house and I thought it would be uncomfortable for him to drive such a long route twice in short time.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2018, 02:46:04 PM »
Just wrote the editor of a local magazine and pitched a story (for the first time!)

They wanted the story. Sending it in, now!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »

Congrats!!!!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2018, 03:02:33 AM »

Congrats!!!!

That's amazing! What's the story about?

I went to a concert all by myself last week. It was scary, but during the show itself it was totally fine. Just the break was awkward as I stood out quite a bit being a solo young woman attending a show that mostly attracts 50-something males.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2018, 02:33:21 PM »
This thread helped me over the hurdle - I've just booked 2 nights in Germany, the Schwartzwald (Black Forest) region. It's gotta be gorgeous in fall. I was very hesitant, because I'm quite tight with my money and while I love travelling, I don't like to spend money on myself. Well, I worked frigging hard and I need a break and I'm going to enjoy it. Might even get a massage in one of the spas. Ha!
(Yes it's a bit anti-Mustachian but all work and no play makes Jack a freaking axe-murderer okay?)

Germany is one of my favourite destinations for short trips. It's close to home, it's easy to travel by train / flixbus if you don't have a car like me. COL is quite a bit lower than in NL in most places. Food is great, people are friendly and some beautiful nature.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2018, 10:19:58 PM »

Congrats!!!!

That's amazing! What's the story about?

It was about another "out of my comfort zone" experience--the 10 day silent meditation retreat that I attended this fall! :)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2019, 05:29:55 PM »
On Sunday, I attended my cousin's wedding in a t-shirt and jeans, which was not within my comfort zone, but even more outside of it?  No make-up.  Luggage was lost! 

It turned out just fine and since I've FIREd I wear make-up a lot less anyway, so this was actually just an extension of events for which I was already not wearing make-up.  But definitely pushed it really far.  I had a tiny bit of lip gloss in my carry-on, but nothing else.  Having suffered from some minor rosacea in the past, I'm always sensitive about my pink cheeks and now being a post-40 female (aka might as well be dead), I'm [trying not to be] more sensitive about the area under my eyes being darker and the disappointing appearance of age spots.  But now I've done it and if I can go to a wedding without make-up, when do I really need to wear it at all??

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2019, 01:07:39 AM »
On Sunday, I attended my cousin's wedding in a t-shirt and jeans, which was not within my comfort zone, but even more outside of it?  No make-up.  Luggage was lost! 

It turned out just fine and since I've FIREd I wear make-up a lot less anyway, so this was actually just an extension of events for which I was already not wearing make-up.  But definitely pushed it really far.  I had a tiny bit of lip gloss in my carry-on, but nothing else.  Having suffered from some minor rosacea in the past, I'm always sensitive about my pink cheeks and now being a post-40 female (aka might as well be dead), I'm [trying not to be] more sensitive about the area under my eyes being darker and the disappointing appearance of age spots.  But now I've done it and if I can go to a wedding without make-up, when do I really need to wear it at all??

That is tough, not wearing makeup when you are so used to it. That was badass!

I stopped using mascara and skin powder at least a decade ago and it is liberating. There is so much less time to spend in front if the mirror, less to worry about and less to bring on a trip. But of course, you look more plane than those with makeup. On the other hand, nowadays young girls use a LOT of makeup and many look like models, with fake brows, fake eyelashes, a thick layer of brown cream over there whole face. They look so fake that that would never be an option for me to do it like that.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2019, 05:04:45 PM »
Was reminded of this thread when I agreed to go to a comedy show this week.
 I rarely enjoy comedy (even find listening to it on the radio awkward)..and haven't been to a show in 15 years due to a concern that the people on stage won't be funny and then I'll feel awful for them.
Strange phobia, I know.. but I'm stretching myself :)

Fields of Gold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2019, 07:56:11 PM »
Love the challenge!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2019, 01:38:25 AM »
I walked to work today. Do that very regularly. But now after a lot of snow. I even brought snowshoes for the stretch through the forest. It felt like quite an expedition. And I did it only because I hate driving on the road when it is snowing so much. Other cars often get stuck and create so much chaos.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2019, 10:04:17 AM »
Nice, @Linda_Norway - that's a serious commitment to walking to work!

For me, I've been trying to meet new people. Had lunch with an acquaintance earlier in the month, & had lunch with a MMM poster (just discovered we are near each other) yesterday. Also put a lunch on the calendar for someone I met at a leadership training last week.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »
On Thursday or Friday we are going to meet new people at our cabin. We are going to visit an event and some people we know from an outdoor forum have asked to be there. They want to camp behind our cabin. The next one or two days we want to go camping in the snow with them. We will see how this works out. Nice to meet new people with the same hobby.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!