Author Topic: Using up fabrics , sewing, and crafting supplies  (Read 45379 times)

SingleMomDebt

Re: Using up fabrics , sewing, and crafting supplies
« Reply #300 on: April 02, 2017, 05:15:57 PM »
Thanks sparkytheop! DD really loves it. I am sure it will have paint on it in no time. ;)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: April 02, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »
This weekend I finished up a quilt top to donate to charity. I used a large packet of fat quarters that had been around for several years.

I can use more older fabric to back it, so that is less stash and more space in my studio. Progress!
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

Maya

• Stubble
« Reply #302 on: April 04, 2017, 10:09:55 PM »
Just getting back into sewing after buying a bunch of new jalie patterns. Used up about 3 m of fleece sewing two hoodies and a pair of sweat pants for the kids, recycled a failed project for me into a cute dress for DD.

Pieced together a pattern tonight so I'll trace off a skirt for DD shortly. Also traced off a top for me, just need to prep the fabric.  New patterns but that will use up another 2-2.5 m of fabric. Then I'll start on the projects I recently bought fabric for.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #303 on: April 06, 2017, 02:42:17 AM »
I love Jalie patterns Maya. My cora running leggings are the best!

So after my phase of 'I need to by stuff to finish stuff' (zips, buttons, lining etc), I got a load of items finished and in the wardrobe, yay! I've also got my haberdashery and fabric stash down to its designated drawers and cupboards, which is great, my house looks a lot better!

But I am once again at the needing to buy stuff stage. I have some underwear all cut out, but I need stretch lace elastic. I have a dress cut out, and I have a zip for it too. But no white lining and every other colour is showing through. I was short some bias tape so I made it from scraps rather than buying it. Much cheaper and the store-bought stuff is always stiff and scratchy no matter how much I wash it. But a little frustrating, for sure.

Maya

• Stubble
« Reply #304 on: April 06, 2017, 10:08:19 PM »
Theadvicist the Cora's are one of my new patterns I can't wait to sew. I bought some fabric to test them out with money problem is I'm 32 weeks pregnant and debating what size to start with. Current solution is to put that project on hold till I've had the baby and focus on sewing some nursing tops and maybe the elenores for post partum. I'll have to sew up smaller versions once I've started to lose weight again.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: April 07, 2017, 03:34:25 AM »
Oooh they have great patterns for nursing / post-partum!

The leggings are really tight (in a good way, they feel supportive, not constricting) so if you're in between sizes I would go up. You can always take 'em in, you know? But yeah, you might be best of waiting for a bit. Also, check the seam allowance (I think it is 6mm. I sewed up a top of theirs at 1cm and then wondered why it was a bit snug! Yeah, what an idiot!)

Maya

• Stubble
« Reply #306 on: April 08, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
I have one nursing shirt cut out and partially sewed up (from four years ago with my first, I'm on my third now LOL) and have traced off he pattern for the other nursing shirt, to use some of the fabric I bought four year ago. Need to get motivated.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »
I was just posting to ask for more pictures, but saw a post that said pictures were not encouraged here.

What the blankety-blanket what?
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
I have one nursing shirt cut out and partially sewed up (from four years ago with my first, I'm on my third now LOL) and have traced off he pattern for the other nursing shirt, to use some of the fabric I bought four year ago. Need to get motivated.

I am in desperate need of nursing shirts - flannel button-downs bought on sale or used are now too warm. What pattern are you using?

Maya

• Stubble
« Reply #309 on: April 14, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »

I am in desperate need of nursing shirts - flannel button-downs bought on sale or used are now too warm. What pattern are you using?
https://jalie.com/jalie3132-nursing-tees-sewing-pattern-464

I've a bunch in thmy same style made by momzelle. I'm excited to try this one out as most of my nursing tops are long sleeved in the bigger sizes and short sleeved in smaller ones. Need to make some short sleeved ones in bigger sizes for this summer when baby is young. Due end of of summer.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: April 18, 2017, 10:43:46 AM »

https://jalie.com/jalie3132-nursing-tees-sewing-pattern-464

I've a bunch in thmy same style made by momzelle. I'm excited to try this one out as most of my nursing tops are long sleeved in the bigger sizes and short sleeved in smaller ones. Need to make some short sleeved ones in bigger sizes for this summer when baby is young. Due end of of summer.

Oooh! Thanks! That has potential! Assuming I can get my husband to hold the baby for a few hours while I sew very, very quickly... ;)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: April 21, 2017, 03:45:21 AM »
So timely for me this thread has taken a turn to towards maternity wear, as I've just found out I'm pregnant! It's very early days, but wow, this has wrecked my 'sewing-drive'. I just don't want to make anything because hopefully it won't fit!

But I've been wondering might a jacket be a sensible project to make it my current size? The particular style it is I would probably wear it open anyway. Can anyone who has been through this advise? Am I likely to be a similar size through the shoulders and arms at the end of all this? I don't want to put time and materials into something I won't wear, but I am really missing sewing and this is the only thing I can think of that doesn't need to be fitted through the midsection.

I'm thinking of this burda pattern: http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/asymmetrical-moto-jacket-112013

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »
Gosh, it's been a while since I updated here.  Lots of sewing talk recently...I'll represent for the knitters :)

Since Dec, I did make the sweater I was planning, but it used far less yarn that I expected.  So I've had that super-bulky chenille in a holding pattern while I find a charity project suitable to this yarn (maybe Project Linus?).

I have to "confess", I did buy more yarn*.  This is for a sweater that is currently in progress as my main project, so I'm using it up quickly (1 of 9 skeins used in the last 2 weeks).  So my focus on "using up" yarn has switched over to that rather than pre-existing stash.  Once I make adequate progress (measured against a deadline in October), I will switch back over to the stash.

*I never vowed that I wouldn't, but this group is focused on clearing out space, not buying more stuff!
Motto for 2017: A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Jornal is now here

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: April 24, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »
So timely for me this thread has taken a turn to towards maternity wear, as I've just found out I'm pregnant! It's very early days, but wow, this has wrecked my 'sewing-drive'. I just don't want to make anything because hopefully it won't fit!

But I've been wondering might a jacket be a sensible project to make it my current size? The particular style it is I would probably wear it open anyway. Can anyone who has been through this advise? Am I likely to be a similar size through the shoulders and arms at the end of all this? I don't want to put time and materials into something I won't wear, but I am really missing sewing and this is the only thing I can think of that doesn't need to be fitted through the midsection.

I'm thinking of this burda pattern: http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/asymmetrical-moto-jacket-112013

Make baby clothes, baby blankets/quilt, etc. Anything for the home.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: April 25, 2017, 03:24:13 AM »

Make baby clothes, baby blankets/quilt, etc. Anything for the home.

Thanks Sibley but I think I'm too superstitious to make anything for a baby, and we don't need any new curtains or anything. I've ordered stuff for the Burda jacket, if the pregnancy progresses well I guess I can just wear it open.

Maya

• Stubble
« Reply #315 on: April 26, 2017, 10:02:45 PM »
Tshirts or cardigans. Look at jalie's patterns for maternity wear.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #316 on: April 27, 2017, 02:54:00 AM »
Oooh thanks Maya, I have a cardigan pattern I've been meaning to make for a while, that is a great idea. I'll be able to layer it (open!) over tops and tanks all summer. Thank you.

Potterquilter

• Stubble
« Reply #317 on: May 28, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »
I made a big stack of microwave bowls and gave them to family and friends. Then I made 6 pillowcases for a charity "pillowcases for Ryan" which benefits cancer kids. 

Tomorrow I start on bibs.  One of my fellow quilters contacted local nursing homes and asked what would help them. They said large bibs which would help keep patients clean during feeding. So I have a pattern and that is my next project.

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
« Reply #318 on: June 20, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »
Having pledged at the beginning of the year not to add any crafting supplies to my household this year, I've gone a little further and have been reducing my much-too-large knitting yarn stash. I've chopped some 100% undyed wool that I'd accidentally felted into little pieces and left it out for the birds to use for nesting materials or used it to secure staked plants in the garden, let friends help themselves to any of my yarn that took their fancy provided they intended to use rather than stashing it themselves, donated around 2.5kg of acrylic and acrylic blends to charity, stuck price tags on almost everything in my Ravelry catalogue, and trickled a few skeins at a time on to eBay.

Take that, Mr Sunk Cost Fallacy ;-)

I still have too much, but I didn't collect it all in a couple of months and I'm happy to spend a few years finding new homes.

Fish Sweet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #319 on: June 21, 2017, 01:52:37 PM »
Pulled out some cloth I haven't touched in a good 7 years and had JUST ENOUGH to bust out the top for my most recent costume and feel comfortable throwing away the scraps.  I'm also steadily burning through my collection of black scrap fabric (though inevitably I'll have to buy more...) with miscellaneous costume projects that come up.

And this isn't quite in the vein of using up existing craft supplies, but I just made my first craft item sale on my etsy store!  The price is enough to recoup all the supply costs and to allow me to buy more to hopefully grow that a bit. :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
Finished a quilt using fabric I'd loved for ages but never found a use for (cute whale print seersucker) and made the binding with scraps from the other fabric. Next up is finishing a quilt that's been WIP over a year...

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: October 09, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »
Well, it left my house. My sister had asked for pillows for her couch, and got fabric. I took some and my mom took some. Mom was visiting and took it home with her because I haven't had time to make them. It counts I think.

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #322 on: October 11, 2017, 03:44:22 PM »
Random thought on yarn since this thread popped back up:

My cousins have a Christmas gift exchange going that I've been trying to get out of for some time now.  I'm the oldest, and I have some cousins that are under 5, so we have a limit of $20 on it.  There's rarely anything I want for Christmas, so I always end up getting junk.  I usually give a hat and scarf or sometimes an afghan, which I like doing.  So last year, I came up with the idea to ask for a Hobby Lobby or Michaels gift card, and then we'd rig it so I'd get whoever gave me the card for the next year.  It might not pay for an afghan, but it'd definitely pay for hats and scarves. 

So this weekend I'm going to go find some yarn to make my cousin an afghan.  I think this will be the first Christmas present from a cousin I haven't donated in like 5 years, so I'm pretty psyched to use it.  I've even been told that he wants it white and blue, so at least it's narrowed down some.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: October 12, 2017, 02:05:12 PM »
Giving a few jewelry presents this Christmas - so there will be a slight reduction in my natural gemstones, Czech beads and other jewelry making supplies. Looking forward to finishing an Egyptian style necklace for myself that I started months ago and designing several new and all different styles necklace and earring sets for gifts.
It probably will not put much of a dent in my supplies - but it will be fun and energizing to create something beautiful.

I've started taking inventory and organizing so I'll have a nice workspace soon. The Mustachian in me gleefully scooped up a clearance deal at a high end merchandise clearance store which normally does not carry jewelry supplies. It was just what I needed for that Christmas gift for a good friend. Can't wait to get started on that piece - beautiful cobalt blue art glass beads.