Author Topic: Upcycle / Found / Made / Budget Home Decor  (Read 6052 times)

LindseyC

• Stubble
Upcycle / Found / Made / Budget Home Decor
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:00:21 AM »
Is anyone up for a challenge thread for home decor items that are made from found, thrifted, or upcycled items? I love decorating my house and would love to see other peoples budget choices and projects.

This would sorta be a thread about ideas, suggestions, humble brags, successes and even funny failures you want to share, past or present projects. We could even do in thread challenges for monthly projects if anyone is interested.

I will start. I work at a large scale tree nursery and today one of our outside guys brought in some cool wood cuts he made that I am absolutely going to make into something awesome. I am thinking of a picture frame for the one with a hole, and a wreath for the shape that looks like a heart.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Upcycle / Found / Made / Budget Home Decor
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:35:57 AM »
Is anyone up for a challenge thread for home decor items that are made from found, thrifted, or upcycled items? I love decorating my house and would love to see other peoples budget choices and projects.

This would sorta be a thread about ideas, suggestions, humble brags, successes and even funny failures you want to share, past or present projects. We could even do in thread challenges for monthly projects if anyone is interested.

I will start. I work at a large scale tree nursery and today one of our outside guys brought in some cool wood cuts he made that I am absolutely going to make into something awesome. I am thinking of a picture frame for the one with a hole, and a wreath for the shape that looks like a heart.

Those look awesome! I am totally in on this challenge.

I'm currently working on a design for 3D stars made from chipboard boxes, along these lines but with each star made up of 5 pieces in order to maximize use of each box. I plan to make a bunch of them and papier-mache them with colored tissue for a red, white, and blue wreath for summer and Memorial Day/4th of July. No pictures yet but I'll attach a screenshot of the design process from Silhouette studio.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:53:24 AM »
LindseyC, those are amazing! What a great find.

I try to make most decor-type things in my house from found or upchcled elements. Next on the list is a dreamcatcher wreath for the front door made out of whatever cool branches I find in the park and some seashells from the beach. I still have up a valentines wreath (scrap wood, string art hearts all over it).

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 05:22:31 AM »
So glad you guys are in and those sound like some cool projects!

I need to work in a wreath for my front door too. I like to have different ones for holidays and seasons. I definitely need an Easter and spring one.

Initially, my goal this winter was to repaint my entire upstairs, including the floors, but that quantity of paint was just a little bit out of my budget. So instead I decided to work on one room at a time, painting the walls and ceilings (maybe floors next year) and decorating as economically as possible while still meeting what I need that space to do.

I had fantastic luck in the fall and accumulated a pile of furniture (literally) in my garage of curbside / thrift finds that cost me next to nothing. This furniture is to go in the rooms once they are painted, but I need to do some serious work on each piece of furniture. I also have some existing furniture in my house I want to upcycle, so I have a ton of projects to get working on as soon as the weather is warmed and I can paint in my unheated garage.

i'm excited to make some real decor changes in my house, I have been putting of such projects for a few years while I was sick, so these changes have been percolating in my head for awhile and a long time coming to actual fruition.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 07:12:07 AM »
So glad you guys are in and those sound like some cool projects!

I need to work in a wreath for my front door too. I like to have different ones for holidays and seasons. I definitely need an Easter and spring one.

Initially, my goal this winter was to repaint my entire upstairs, including the floors, but that quantity of paint was just a little bit out of my budget. So instead I decided to work on one room at a time, painting the walls and ceilings (maybe floors next year) and decorating as economically as possible while still meeting what I need that space to do.

I had fantastic luck in the fall and accumulated a pile of furniture (literally) in my garage of curbside / thrift finds that cost me next to nothing. This furniture is to go in the rooms once they are painted, but I need to do some serious work on each piece of furniture. I also have some existing furniture in my house I want to upcycle, so I have a ton of projects to get working on as soon as the weather is warmed and I can paint in my unheated garage.

i'm excited to make some real decor changes in my house, I have been putting of such projects for a few years while I was sick, so these changes have been percolating in my head for awhile and a long time coming to actual fruition.

Sounds like a great plan, LindseyC! I've made over a few Craiglist furniture finds, and they tend to be my favorite pieces in my house. A few years ago I also made one of those "stump of wood" occasional tables that were all over the design blogs. It's now mostly used as a stool for when I'm teaching my kids piano. It was easy after finding the log (in a post-hurricane pile of chopped up trees) - mostly just a lot of sanding:

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 05:57:16 AM »
Posting to follow. I should have some things to add later.  You might also check out PBKMaine's journal for inspiration if you haven't already.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
I made a new wreath for spring using only salvaged parts from a flower arrangement someone sent us (and some cardboard for the back). The arrangement was wrapped in bark, which I cut up into trapezoid pieces, and among other things that dried less well, it had some eucalyptus leaves, mushrooms (?), and thistles. Here's my result. Reasonably cute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 11:09:37 PM »
I made a new wreath for spring using only salvaged parts from a flower arrangement someone sent us (and some cardboard for the back). The arrangement was wrapped in bark, which I cut up into trapezoid pieces, and among other things that dried less well, it had some eucalyptus leaves, mushrooms (?), and thistles. Here's my result. Reasonably cute!

More than reasonably cute!  Pinterest cute!  Etsy shop cute!  You are really talented at this!

And, swoon at the whole photo.  The lion's head door knocker.  The pretty blue paint.  The cool vintage knob.  Love it all!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 04:10:34 AM »
Road42, I agree with PJ that the whole thing is pretty much fabulous. I looooooove the color of your front door.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 04:22:12 AM »
Aww, thanks guys!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
I am going to nail an abalone shell to the wall oabove the kids' art table and call it found art. We were given it last year while camping, so it carries nice memories.

Other found stuff, someone had curbsided a brass and marble lamp that I found selling on 1stDibs for $1500. Ours isn't in such good condition, but there is a good restorer nearby.

Also, I am sick of not having a coffee table, so am going to build one with my dad. It will basically be a plywood box on wheels. I plan to paint it glossy white and it will add a contemporary touch our living room sorely lacks.

Edited to fix spelling
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:05:26 PM by Hadilly »

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 11:40:17 AM »
P2F!  We recently bought our first house and have been (mostly) resisting the urge to buy a bunch of stuff to fill it up with.  My Pinterest page is exploding with DIY decorations, inspiration and projects that we plan to make soon.

gardeningandgreen

• Bristles
    • Gardening and Green
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 12:42:15 PM »
This is awesome! This lasts weekend DH and I started building a picnic table from leftover lumber. We built a garage last summer and had quite a bit of lumber that was used for supports that had like 2 nails in it so they couldn't be returned. Also we don't have much outdoor seating so this will be awesome! I will post pictures when it is done!

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »
I am going to nail an abalone shell to the wall oabove the kids' art table and call it found art. We were given it last year while camping, so it carries nice memories.

Other found stuff, someone had curbsided a brass and marble lamp that I found selling on 1stDibs for $1500. Ours isn't in such good condition, but there is a good restorer nearby.

Also, I am sick of not having a coffee table, so am going to build one with my dad. It will basically be a plywood box on wheels. I plan to paint it glossy white and it will add a contemporary touch our living room sorely lacks.

Edited to fix spelling

Can you find an old trunk?  I see them routinely at yardsales for under $20, I bought one, not in the best of shape, bought 4 wheels from home depot and screwed them in.  It's a rolling coffee table that I painted.  You want one of the old flat top varieties vs the ones with the wooden slats.  A plus side is that it doubles as storage as well.

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 09:16:28 PM »
I made a thick button-tufted headboard for our kingsize bed a few weeks ago.  We spent about $130 for the materials.  It's cozy, comfortable, and very luxurious.  Also made a coordinating tailored bedskirt and some snazzy custom fitted dog bed covers from 8 yards of beautiful, heavy duty washable cotton fabric I scored at Hancock's right before they went out of business for $18!

Now I just have to refinish all the wood furniture and will have a brand new, stylish master bedroom.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 04:59:57 AM »
Is it okay to share progress photos? I finally sat down and started cutting/assembling some cardboard stars for the wreath I'd like to make. I will probably cut most of the rest of the stars in 2 pieces to make them easier to assemble.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 07:09:37 AM »
Those look awesome! What are you using to get such precise cuts?

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 07:26:53 AM »
Those look awesome! What are you using to get such precise cuts?

Thank you! I'm using a Silhouette Cameo cutting machine. I originally purchased it thinking I would use it for vinyl decals and iron-on transfers, but the waste involved in that turned me off and I stopped using it as much. Trying to think of ways to use it for greener/less wasteful crafts is what inspired this project! I've been hoarding cracker boxes, beer 6-packs, and mailing envelopes to make the chipboard bases, and tissue paper to papier-mache the cardboard and hopefully avoid the need for paint. I still haven't worked out what I will use for the base of the wreath but I imagine it will take awhile to get enough stars made so I have time to figure that out!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 04:19:19 PM »
MishMash: thank you for the suggestion! I will see what I can find.

Very cool stars! Can't wait to see the final product.

I made a prototype of the clay butler tray I want to make. It was interesting because the design is very clean, and I tend to be pretty ragged in my hand building. So I am working on expanding my skill set.

Saw this tray on a design blog for eight hundred dollars, loved it, but figured I could make it myself. So I am!

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 08:05:22 PM »
I made a thick button-tufted headboard for our kingsize bed a few weeks ago.  We spent about $130 for the materials.  It's cozy, comfortable, and very luxurious.  Also made a coordinating tailored bedskirt and some snazzy custom fitted dog bed covers from 8 yards of beautiful, heavy duty washable cotton fabric I scored at Hancock's right before they went out of business for $18!

Now I just have to refinish all the wood furniture and will have a brand new, stylish master bedroom.

I want to do this! Do you have a tutorial you followed? King-size headboards are so expensive, even on Craigslist, I'd love to make my own. I keep hoping I'll find one in the FREE section that I could easily re-cover.

I recently bought two kitchen chairs off of CL for $20 each and I plan to reupholster the cushions. My biggest success in the last few months was a set of Ikea Poang chairs that I bought for $30 each, painted, and made outdoor cushion covers for. The Poang chair is sooo comfortable, but looks fairly cheap. I'm really happy with the result, and now have two fun and comfortable chairs for our front porch.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 08:33:18 PM »
This is an unusual budget decor project but lately I have been thrifting unusual planters and then making little succulent gardens with plants that I have propagated, traded for, bought as cuttings or bought as plants on super sale. It is kinda addicting and I need more practice, but it's a lot of fun. I have also added a few tiny statues I have collected over the years, as well as some unusual pieces of wood.

Ironically I work at a large scale nursery (not a garden centre) but have nothing to do with the plants typically as I am the IT department. However, all my friends who have seen my gardens are now requesting one for themselves so maybe some of the plant stuff rubbed off on me.

I am actually debating propagating on a larger scale and perhaps selling some of my gardens. At the very least they are definitely going to be my handmade Christmas gifts for 2017!

Some samples:

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 07:54:14 AM »
Those are beautiful!!!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »
I love the white branch planter.

Am building my coffee table tomorrow. I will try to post pictures when it is finished.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 05:35:20 PM »
I can't wait to see you coffee table, that's a big undertaking!

I started some new propagation today with some cuttings I made. Here's hoping they grow, some of these varieties I have not tried before and have no idea if they will take. I have been looking for some cutting suppliers in Canada, but it's pretty slim pickings. If I can make a lot of my own it would be much more economical and truly a lot more fun. Now I just gave to wait a few weeks to see what happens!!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »
Posting to follow! All of these are very inspiring. =)

blueberrygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 10:33:01 AM »
I definitely want to join this! Does anyone have any ideas for cheap molding or flooring? I'm working on my dining room and I want to case the windows and replace the carpet with wood flooring. Thanks!

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 04:15:58 AM »
I pulled a small branch out of our trailer today (it is full of tree trimmings to be taken to the garbage dump). I pulled the leaves off it, brought it inside, put it in a vase and hung Easter decorations off it. It is now sitting on the bookcase near the front door.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 05:13:01 AM »
This is an unusual budget decor project but lately I have been thrifting unusual planters and then making little succulent gardens with plants that I have propagated, traded for, bought as cuttings or bought as plants on super sale. It is kinda addicting and I need more practice, but it's a lot of fun. I have also added a few tiny statues I have collected over the years, as well as some unusual pieces of wood.

Ironically I work at a large scale nursery (not a garden centre) but have nothing to do with the plants typically as I am the IT department. However, all my friends who have seen my gardens are now requesting one for themselves so maybe some of the plant stuff rubbed off on me.

I am actually debating propagating on a larger scale and perhaps selling some of my gardens. At the very least they are definitely going to be my handmade Christmas gifts for 2017!

Some samples:
I feel so silly, I've been trying to work out what pots to get for my succulents that would fit on my new plant stand - thrifted cups and things! Definitely in on this thread and going to try this out :)

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 05:55:08 PM »
I just bought 9.00 oops paint from Lowes for my bathroom...does that count?

lol...I have lots of projects around my house that have been DIYed...and I love seeing all of yours!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 06:22:33 PM »
My little succulent baby propagation's are about 50% successful. Unfortunately my cat decided to "play" with them one day and chewed some of the leaves beyond repair.  Luckily Christmas is not anytime soon so I have time to try again.

For my own collection of current succulents I have been trying to find some minimalistic wall planters to put up on my freshly patched and touched up bedroom walls. I want a pretty specific look and online even from the most economical sources, they are crazy expensive.

So....I decided to google if anyone had made their own and they have out of air dry clay! My next little project is going to be making my own wall planters with clay I already own, so this will be a totally free project!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 06:25:38 PM »
My little succulent baby propagation's are about 50% successful. Unfortunately my cat decided to "play" with them one day and chewed some of the leaves beyond repair.  Luckily Christmas is not anytime soon so I have time to try again.

For my own collection of current succulents I have been trying to find some minimalistic wall planters to put up on my freshly patched and touched up bedroom walls. I want a pretty specific look and online even from the most economical sources, they are crazy expensive.

So....I decided to google if anyone had made their own and they have out of air dry clay! My next little project is going to be making my own wall planters with clay I already own, so this will be a totally free project!
Ooh, can you post a link to the tutorial?

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »
Ooh, can you post a link to the tutorial?

Your wish is my command:

http://www.designlovefest.com/2015/04/make-it-wall-planters/

I am going to try one tonight when I get home. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!