Author Topic: Uber Frugal March  (Read 21457 times)

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
Uber Frugal March
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »
Thought I would go ahead and kick off thread. Will edit later with my March goals. 6 days left till March 1!

LindseyC

• Stubble
Re: Uber Frugal March
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 02:58:06 PM »
I'm actually already in my March budget because I run my months by my CC statement date (23rd). I spent $2 on cat treats, money well spent, a cat without treats is a terror.

My goals this month is to keep all expenditures under $2000, with the exception as always of savings and debt repayment. I will continue my longterm 2017 goals of eating up the food stores, using up the toiletries stockpile, no eating out / takeout or convenience foods and of being uber frugal with any purchases. Bring on March!!!!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 03:27:31 PM »
January was great, February was a total bust (oooh I made a pun, I bought a bunch of bras, haha). Anyway, in for March, will clarify goals and challenges later.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:32:40 PM »
I'm actually already in my March budget because I run my months by my CC statement date (23rd). I spent $2 on cat treats, money well spent, a cat without treats is a terror.

My goals this month is to keep all expenditures under $2000, with the exception as always of savings and debt repayment. I will continue my longterm 2017 goals of eating up the food stores, using up the toiletries stockpile, no eating out / takeout or convenience foods and of being uber frugal with any purchases. Bring on March!!!! 

I'm with you, Lindsey, or just about anyway.  I get paid once a month, on the 25th, or closest prior business day.  So, tomorrow (24th) in this case. 

Also with you on sticking to the basics, as I have been doing since I joined Uber Frugal mid-January.  Participation in "Eat All the Food" thread, minimize the grocery spend to just produce, bread and dairy as needed.  Minimal eating out (occasional social stuff is ok, but should be modest - like eating a bit at home and having just an appetizer, stuff like that).  Reduce utilities consumption where possible.  No recreational shopping - I must be starting to get discipline fatigue, because the lure of Michael's (craft store) has been strong when I've driven past a couple of times recently.  But I have resisted.  Cheaper sources for the things that I do need, such as thrift stores for the clothes I recently purchased, and starting to plan ahead for Christmas presents (thrift and homemade).

The big challenge for me coming up is birthday presents for most of my family in April and in June.  There's a project that I'm aiming to do for all of them, but when it's time to buckle down on it, I will try to sort out the best way to do it to reduce costs.  And will likely seek help from the forums for advice too!

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 06:14:40 AM »
I almost made Frugal Feb, but it fell apart at the last minute! I'm in for March, with a different approach. In the past I have set a number but this time I'm going to set spending rules and see if I get better results.
Guidelines:
#1) No restaurants
#2) No clothing
#3) No physical items (aside from food & medical)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:15:44 AM by westtoeast »

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
March will coincide with the Whole 30 I'm doing, so there will be no eating out. I expect I'll be able to increase the savings I managed in Feb ($600) by about $100. Goal $700.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 07:03:32 AM »
I'm in. My goal is to keep up the changes we've made to our life to do Frugal February:

- all home-cooked food
- no going out
- no ordering in
- more free activities around town when possible
- no random purchases when walking around
- no buying clothes or home stuff
- more no-spend days

This is going to continue to coincide well for me with the One "Odd" chore a day and the Upcycle / Found / Made / Budget Home Decor threads. The odd jobs usually keep me entertained/happy about my house enough to keep my "I need to buy something to cheer myself up" feelings away, and the thread about upcycling reminds me that I love making things, and that if I'm feeling like the couch needs a new throw cushion, it's pretty easy to whip one up from my stash of stuff.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »
I'm in. Thanks for starting this. My March budget starts today.

My uber frugal February was spendy on necessary items. We really need a frugal month.

Problem areas:
1. grocery spending - my goal is to be under budget without deferring spending. Once our Whole30 is done, we're planning to economize portions and ingredients. Current spending is too luxurious for our incomes and waistlines. We previously bought most of what we need to finish the whole30 so we're starting the month stocked up (normal for us).
2. eating out - goal of zero times for everyone until at least April. We may make an exception for a business trip (DH only) and for 2-3 meals on a family trip. I need to have easy and quick prep options on hand more to grab if we have to go to town unexpectedly. Need to investigate picnic possibilities for our trip.
3. unnecessary luxuries - alcohol, chocolate/desserts....not needed. Goal of zero unbudgeted expenses.

We don't have any anticipated house repair expenses but I may need to work on my car a bit after hitting a deer last night. Hopefully it's just some body work we can DIY. Repair estimated at $4000 to have it done. I will also need to spend on a few pairs of contacts (that and my PT copays are hopefully the last of our deferred medical spending...been playing catch-up this year). Contacts for the year should run around $200 or less.

Edited to modify trip eating out: 3 meals out (excluding any breakfasts included with hotels) during a 10 day trip. This is somewhere luxurious but we will be in countries where we don't speak the language and groceries are unfamiliar. Still might be easier than navigating restaurant menus in languages we don't speak. This will need to be covered by our regular grocery money or our $200/month all-other-spending budget.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:24:40 PM by Mongoose »

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 08:27:21 AM »
I'm in. My goal is to keep up the changes we've made to our life to do Frugal February:

- all home-cooked food
- no going out
- no ordering in
- more no-spend days

This is going to continue to coincide well for me with the One "Odd" chore a day and the Upcycle / Found / Made / Budget Home Decor threads. The odd jobs usually keep me entertained/happy about my house enough to keep my "I need to buy something to cheer myself up" feelings away, and the thread about upcycling reminds me that I love making things, and that if I'm feeling like the couch needs a new throw cushion, it's pretty easy to whip one up from my stash of stuff.

I think we might be soul sisters, I could have wrote this entire post. :)

leftcoastenvy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
I am hoping that March will be a frugal month. We need to get an inspection and oil change on the car and pay car property taxes this month, but I already have that budgeted in. We also driving with all the kids to go visit some friends in DC for the weekend. I think the biggest issues will be eating out and groceries, but I will keep meal planning to lessen costs.

Also, all 3 kids will need a new pair of shoes for spring/summer. Their feet grow so fast and yet they completely wear out their shoes in that time. I probably won't buy new shoes for them until April.

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 10:07:50 AM »
Joining in for March. Spending exceptions: a few clones for the garden, 4 museum tickets for my kid's birthday, oil change and wiper blade, aaaannd... a bunch of money toward a new roof. And maybe rental fee for a pressure washer. I have dangerously slippery decks.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 10:20:13 AM »
I'm going with an uber-frugal/consciously spending hybrid approach to March  - With that being the habits/life I want to develop going forwards.

Challenge:
Hubs and I both need to basically get whole new (to us) wardrobes. I've been putting it off as long as possible, but it needs to be done. Am taking the UF approach by thrifting what we can, looking for deals and getting pieces that are more capsule based. Add to the fact that my newest business venture involves actually being out in the business community, I need to look professionally put together and not just from the waist up. I suppose I need new shoes too. My trusty hikers have seen thousands of miles and many continents over the past 10 years, but they are not professional and only keep my feet dry part of the time :) Uhhh....I have no idea how to do this. I hate clothing shopping, I hate trying to "dress to impress" so this will be a challenge in more ways than one!

Will come back with more goals and such once I've thought about them and closed out Feb :)

geekinprogress

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »
I'm in.  I'm trying to give myself some concrete goals to help me build better habits.  They're ambitious, but I think I can hit them in March.  At the very worst, I'll be in better shape to hit them in April!

Goals:
Food spending total of $200 or less (avg for last 6 mos or so has been ~$410; I think the cut will be achievable through better planning, reducing waste, cooking at home more, and the fact that I'm slowly transitioning to a vegetarian diet)
"Fun" spending total of $300 or less (avg for last 6 mos has been $807 a month)

Both of those categories include eating out since reducing that spending is a particular focus right now.  "Fun" also includes things like non-critical clothing purchases (i.e. if my last couple bras gave out in succession I'd have to buy a couple), travel, entertainment, and goods & services that are non-necessities - pretty much everything that's not groceries, utilities, mortgage, etc. 

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »
As Mongoose and swick have both referenced, it's not really about deferring spending, or stocking up, but about making best sustainable choices over the long term. 

Making/doing things for ourselves, like Road42 and LindseyC talked about.

Taking care of priorities (like maintaining our homes, or saving for retirement), as StarBright, Mezzie and lemonverbena are doing, rather than letting that money slip through our fingers.

Planning ahead, like leftcoastenvy said. 

I know I didn't capture everyone who's posted in the thread so far, but I think I have captured the basic ideas that are going to get us all through Uber Frugal March. 

Anything to add? 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »
Nice Summary, PJ!

I'll add:

I think for me, it is also going to be about investing time into relationships and building reciprocal support systems and networks. I'm rather introverted and an INFJ so I'm pretty good at supporting others, but I don't generally take the time to actually build relationships. It's too demanding, I tend to put it off.

But I was reminded how it can be a frugal and fun! thing to do. I got a message from a friend overseas (okay, I ignored the original message longer than I should have) who had another friend who was in our area on vacation.

He wanted to go back country skiing but all the paid guides were booked. I was able to use my social network to introduce him to some new friends and a great free back country experience.  He offered us sailing and a free place to stay should we ever want to visit San Fransisco, so that might lead to a frugal vacation in our future :) Plus the warm fuzzies of being able to make someone's day is good too.

Building more (and maintaining) community will be one of my UFM goals :)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 12:04:02 PM »
I'm in. Goal is to spend $1300 or less for the entire month. Fixed costs are a little over $900, which leaves us with $400 for all food and other expenses. (Family of three, but we live with other family and when we cook, we buy the ingredients. As some family are/will be out of town for part of the month that will reduce costs somewhat.) $1300 is also roughly what I bring home, depending on the month, so all of HusbandX's pay would go straight to savings. This will be a little bit of a stretch for us, so I'm planning meals as cheaply as possible while staying in our required standard of health and taste.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »
SisterX, living off of one salary is a great goal for an Uber Frugal month.  Make sure you post over in Eat All the Food or Rein in the Grocery Spend if you need help with getting the most bang for your grocery dollar!

Thanks swick, investing (mostly time) into social capital is a great addition to the list of Uber Frugal strategies.  And I realized I forgot something I'd meant to include, which is prioritizing experiences over "stuff."  Which I think ties in nicely with what you're talking about, but also includes things like lemonverbena's gift of museum passes for her kid's birthday.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 12:31:32 PM »
As Mongoose and swick have both referenced, it's not really about deferring spending, or stocking up, but about making best sustainable choices over the long term. 

Making/doing things for ourselves, like Road42 and LindseyC talked about.

Taking care of priorities (like maintaining our homes, or saving for retirement), as StarBright, Mezzie and lemonverbena are doing, rather than letting that money slip through our fingers.

Planning ahead, like leftcoastenvy said. 

I know I didn't capture everyone who's posted in the thread so far, but I think I have captured the basic ideas that are going to get us all through Uber Frugal March. 

Anything to add?

I think it sums it up.

I will have expenditures in March, if not this weekend, for our lawn. I have been wanting to contract out the work (would probably be 400-500) but today I learned where the trimmings go in my town (& visited it to drop off leaves) so I likely buy an electric saw thing-y for <100 that will set me up for years of trimming. After surveying the situation, a hack saw will just not do (not worth it with the work I need to do to keep these evergreens off my bricks). I will look for coupons and discounted gift cards since this will actully be a well planned purchase.

Also, where I drop off trimmings for spring yard cleaning, I learned today they have FREE mulch that any resident can take when the recycling center is open. So if I can insulate my hatchback and bring a shovel, I could have free mulch for a few beds (especially since I will already be there for spring yard cleaning). Cool, huh?

These challenges are getting easier and easier, I have to say.

We will continue eating in, walking everywhere, avoiding clothes dryer, heat now down to 64 (4 degrees less than Jan 1).  I would say these are habits for us, no going back. Using the car is weird now for both DH and me.

I prepaid a lot of annual expenses in Jan and Feb., so I really hope to have cheaper month. My only bills will be cell, cable/internet, gas bill, water, groceries and husband's "fun money".  We prepaid electric, waste, sewer, mortgage, and paid off tuition for preschool already. Plus, it's a 3 paycheck month AND a separate bonus too (4 paydays). And dividends!!!! And should get tax refund.

Other goals for month:

- send gym cancellation notice in writing (contract ends in May)
- sell $125 worth of  crap I don't need to purchase new curtains and DIY curtain hardware for master bedroom (the one we bought with house are still up and falling off rod)
- I am going to withdraw ATM cash for my March grocery budget. I feel like I spend more using credit card and I really need to lower my 2017 annual grocery spend. Like, really this time. Really, really this time

I may edit this later as we get closer to month.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »
Nice Summary, PJ!

I'll add:

I think for me, it is also going to be about investing time into relationships and building reciprocal support systems and networks. I'm rather introverted and an INFJ so I'm pretty good at supporting others, but I don't generally take the time to actually build relationships. It's too demanding, I tend to put it off.

But I was reminded how it can be a frugal and fun! thing to do. I got a message from a friend overseas (okay, I ignored the original message longer than I should have) who had another friend who was in our area on vacation.

He wanted to go back country skiing but all the paid guides were booked. I was able to use my social network to introduce him to some new friends and a great free back country experience.  He offered us sailing and a free place to stay should we ever want to visit San Fransisco, so that might lead to a frugal vacation in our future :) Plus the warm fuzzies of being able to make someone's day is good too.

Building more (and maintaining) community will be one of my UFM goals :)

Great goal. I should do more of this but between my husband, kids, I really need to recharge.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »
Spent $14.38 on groceries today to get ingredients to fill out 10 meals for the family. Bought zero alcohol.

My damaged car can probably be fixed for around $300 and can wait. It's cosmetic/dents but seems structurally fine (as per courtesy mechanic check today).

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »
I confess I spent some money today. I thrifted a plant pot, vintage art glass vase ($7 for both) and then bought some new plants for the pots (reduced to $9 for both) I sorta feel bad since it is so early in the month, but I was trying to combat the winter blues and some new life in the house helps.

Ok, ok ....I also bought some face cream and some smarties, both which I could have lived without. :) but as I sit here eating my giant bag of happy smarties with soft dew like skin, I am having a really hard time feeling truly remorseful. 

To atone for my unfrugal spending I am going to put in some overtime from home...... tomorrow.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 05:55:15 AM »
Posting to follow.  March is going to be a busy and unusual month, since I'll be getting home on the 4th after eight weeks away, then have two business trips, a ton to do at work, getting the garden in and possibly taking on a new equine project.  Will look to you guys for inspiration to keep things from spiraling out of control. On the upside, I'll probably be too busy to buy anything that doesn't suit and immediate need.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
Spent $14.99 today on microfiber unders for our trip. We're not going to check bags so we don't have to pay the extra fees...one carry on per person. I have to pack for several days of professional duties as well so plus my computer so we're trying to minimize our things to take (how's that for an excuse?).

ketojenn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »
I will join for March.  No spending prior to our trips will be key.

I have a 50k trail race about 3.5 hours away and we will be staying with my son about an hour from the race in order to save any room costs, then a couple weeks later we have a much bigger trip planned to the Vegas area. 

My goal will be to keep our spending during our vacation at the end of the month at a bare minimum.  We are flying into Vegas and will be driving to California for a couple days, before heading to Utah for a half marathon we are signed up for.  The flights, car, and some rooms are paid for.  The only rooms we have booked in advance is the room we need the night before the race and the night before our flight home.  We plan to wing it the rest of the time, so cheap rooms, eating from the cooler, and not buying useless touristy crap will be the challenge.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 08:05:22 AM »
Off to the spending races. Also bought some of the same clothes online for DH (from the men's section though) and some fancy socks for me. All of the inexpensive socks I have tried so far rub on my right little toe regardless of which shoes I am wearing so I'm trying something more pricey ($11/pair...just got two different test models, if I like them, I will look for sales). I am so tired of my foot hurting.

I'm starting to gather homeschool curriculum for next year as it goes on sale but that's not included here since it comes out of a separate budget.

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
I'm in. :) February was my birthday and we were also sick for about half the month. I wasn't so frugal.

I'm getting my tax return soon and planning to pay off debt and build up some funds. Otherwise my main goal for March is to get back on track with the grocery budget! Everything else seems to be okay. In January I spent $173.46 and February was $497.02. Some of that was re-stocking basics and hosting but there was also a lot of processed food when we were tired/sick. My goal for this month is $300.00.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 04:42:09 PM »
All of the inexpensive socks I have tried so far rub on my right little toe regardless of which shoes I am wearing so I'm trying something more pricey ($11/pair...just got two different test models, if I like them, I will look for sales). I am so tired of my foot hurting.

Have you tried injinji toe socks? Not cheap, but they're the only thing that solves this problem for me. I even wear the super low profile ones under tights with dresses, to keep my feet comfy and blister free.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 04:43:30 PM »
I'm not sure whether I'm in for March - I need to buy some maternity wear, and it'll be a spendy month on a few fronts. But I'm reading along so I can cheer everyone on :D

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 06:22:39 PM »
All of the inexpensive socks I have tried so far rub on my right little toe regardless of which shoes I am wearing so I'm trying something more pricey ($11/pair...just got two different test models, if I like them, I will look for sales). I am so tired of my foot hurting.

Have you tried injinji toe socks? Not cheap, but they're the only thing that solves this problem for me. I even wear the super low profile ones under tights with dresses, to keep my feet comfy and blister free.

Yeah. DH loves his Injinji toe socks. They feel super weird. My little toes are curved and under my next toe so they get freaked out by the separation. I will try to increase my time wearing them but it's tough. I'm trying a type from DarnTough (when they arrive).

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 10:23:06 PM »

Yeah. DH loves his Injinji toe socks. They feel super weird. My little toes are curved and under my next toe so they get freaked out by the separation. I will try to increase my time wearing them but it's tough. I'm trying a type from DarnTough (when they arrive).

For me, it's my 2nd toe, which is longer than my big toe.  No matter what, it ends up getting a lot more pressure and friction - I buy shoes that are long enough, but then there's more room for my feet to move around inside.  So the tips of my toes are super sensitive, and especially, to the seams across the toes of socks.  If it's the seam that's bothering you on socks, you could try what I have to resort to sometimes, which is turning the socks inside out.  Not quite as good as owning socks that don't have a seam in the place that bothers you, but tolerable. 

Also, I don't think it's for the same reason, but my mom wears some kind of little mesh sleeve over one of her toes.  I don't know what they're called.  I just googled for "toe sleeves" and this is what came up:  https://www.amazon.ca/Visco-Gel-Little-Sleeve-Pack/dp/B000LX2X3S .  It's not the same product as what mom uses, but maybe something along those lines would help?

Edited to say:  Oh.  Just noticed the price on that product.  Don't buy those.  But maybe something in the "related items" section, a bit more reasonably priced?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:24:51 PM by PJ »

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 07:55:32 AM »
Thanks. I'll try the inside out trick until my new socks arrive. If they work, I'll buy more on sale. Usually I'm too cheap to buy anything for myself unless it's a dire emergency (last pair of pants getting an inconvenient hole type thing) but DH urges me rather strongly to replace non-functional items. And then I often get the cheapest thing available. I do, however, keep DH and the kids in sufficient levels of clothes at all times (spending on others is much easier for me). DH pointed out that a pair of socks in the regular weekly rotation will easily last me 10+ years so we can afford to get quality as it works out to $6/year for 6 pairs for example (it doesn't put us in debt or over budget or keep us from paying off debts since we retired our last non-mortgage debt last year). I do like to be under budget all the time so the savings builds up faster.

Today I go to the bank to replenish my grocery/food, clothing, and miscellaneous funds. I do those in cash, mainly because I am super reluctant to spend cash. Added bonus is that it's easy to see how much is left. I also pay for the kids piano lessons (aka homeschool music class) in cash. That comes out of a separate homeschool budget. Then we need to hit the grocery store. Goal is to stick only to my list!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2017, 09:45:53 AM »
I forgot to mention that one thing which might throw us off track: my husband's superpower of Breaking Shit. Roughly every 1-2 weeks something randomly breaks for him. Sometimes it's something small, like the handle of a metal measuring cup that breaks off while scooping flour (that's happened twice) and sometimes it's bigger. This week: the derailleur on his bike. The bike that just needed a new wheel because the chain kicked off and broke three of his spokes a couple of weeks ago. Which also means that he's driving everywhere for the time being, which means we'll probably have to fill up the gas tank this month. Sigh.

I will try to stay on planned budget and take repair expenses out of the food budget, but I'm going to be realistic too. If things are expensive to fix but necessary then I'm just going to file it under "we have no way of planning for this" and move along.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2017, 10:20:55 AM »
Over January and February, I had some "extra" money come in - expenses reimbursement at work, some gift money, etc.  I was super disciplined with all this, seeing as how I was participating in UFJ and UFF.  I made great progress in paying down one of my CC's, the one with the highest interest.

But, there are no such significant incoming monies this month.

I did some rough calculations late last night, since I just got paid a couple of days ago, and have my downstairs sub-letting tenant rent coming in too.  It will be much harder to achieve a satisfying reduction in the CC statement this month.  Need to do some more "official" (i.e. write it all out and make sure I'm not forgetting anything) calculations, but am realizing that I really want and need this to be a very UFM, so that I can get to my next CC balance target.  I have a minimum in mind, which should be doable.  But I have a desired goal in mind, which may be a stretch...

We'll see!  Praying for smooth sailing and no crises!

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 11:08:46 AM »
Posting to follow and will circle back.  Uber Frugal February was kind of a bust for me -- I haven't been doing several key things:
1. Set concrete goals for month.
2. Track spending regularly and religiously (every few days ideally).
3. MENU PLAN.  This has been my downfall.  Complete lack of meal planning, which has led to more frequent and more expensive grocery trips.

I think as far as overall spending goes, I've done OK (better than average spending pre-UFJ) but could have saved several hundred dollars by being more on top of things.  Gonna set some goals for March and will come back and share them here once I've done that.

Happy uber-frugaling!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
Off to the spending races. Also bought some of the same clothes online for DH (from the men's section though) and some fancy socks for me. All of the inexpensive socks I have tried so far rub on my right little toe regardless of which shoes I am wearing so I'm trying something more pricey ($11/pair...just got two different test models, if I like them, I will look for sales). I am so tired of my foot hurting.

I'm starting to gather homeschool curriculum for next year as it goes on sale but that's not included here since it comes out of a separate budget.

Forgive me if this is something you already do- but turning socks inside out helps a TON with seam rub on little toes! The seam being outside makes a big difference for me. Good luck.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 01:49:36 PM »
My February expenditures were under budget, except for food. Took advantage of a few sales and stocked up. Cut my gas bill in half. Sold some furniture that was just sitting around.

Goal for March is to be under budget, pay off motorcycle insurance premium, and sell some items on eBay. I also want to add $1,000 to my emergency fund.

Jet9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 05:19:37 PM »
I'd like to join in! I need to lower my astronomical grocery bill. Goals are to:

1. Eat from the pantry
2. Avoid dining out last minute by prepping emergency meals
3. Making the effort to shop at cheaper stores
4. Initial goal: Keep food budget below $605 (the USDA Food Budget "Moderate" plan for two.) That's got to be doable, right? I mean it's a MODERATE plan.
5. Separate non-food costs when entering receipts (batteries on my Costco receipt, etc).
6. Rice and beans or Indian Lentils (dal) at least once a week.

Baby steps!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
My uber frugal February was rather catastrophic, so I need to refocus for March. Our savings rate won't be impressive since the biannual car insurance premium will auto charge tomorrow, but that category is fully funded in YNAB.

My goals:
Normal spending less than 50% of take-home pay.
No spending on craft/sewing supplies (exception for elastic or thread I need for time sensitive gift projects)
$600 grocery spending (we will be stocking up on farm-raised meat or that number would be lower)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 07:42:21 PM »

Forgive me if this is something you already do- but turning socks inside out helps a TON with seam rub on little toes! The seam being outside makes a big difference for me. Good luck.

Sadly, the inside out trick for the socks was a total fail for me today. Same spot rubbing on the same toe. :-(   New socks are on the way. I'm hoping that'll help. May try my fancy dress socks. I wear them 2-3 days a year.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 07:51:14 PM »

Sadly, the inside out trick for the socks was a total fail for me today. Same spot rubbing on the same toe. :-(   New socks are on the way. I'm hoping that'll help. May try my fancy dress socks. I wear them 2-3 days a year.

YMMV, mongoose, but I have found that socks are one area where a little more up front actually saves you in the end. For example, I'll buy good running socks for $6-10/pair (though you often find them on sale cheaper), but they last at least 3x as long as the cheaper Hanes, etc socks AND they don't give me blisters. I just got really frustrated to find a hole developing in one of my favorite Balaga socks, but then I remembered that I have been wearing it for regular workouts and running for approximately 5 years.

akzidenz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 12:15:40 AM »

- all home-cooked food
- no going out
- no ordering in
- more no-spend days

Me too. I'm struggling specifically right now with furnishing my place—no furniture, no real household goods, so I'm starting from scratch!—and impulsive clothing purchases are a huge weakness for me. I've been fairly disciplined in January/February about food costs, but home goods/fashion are my frugality enemies.

Goals:
-Cancel my Sephora Play subscription (my 10 dollar treat to myself - but I can do without for a couple of months)

I should do this too! It's only $10.95/mo, but there isn't really an "only" when it comes to uber frugal months, I think! I originally kept this expense because I've banned myself from all makeup/skincare purchases until I totally run out of some product (I have 15 lipsticks, so…I basically shouldn't buy lipstick for the next 3 years, easily)…anyways, I was thinking the Sephora subscription would be a cute little thing to give me some variety in an inexpensive way. But I don't really use the products they send me…

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 05:06:19 AM »

- all home-cooked food
- no going out
- no ordering in
- more no-spend days

Me too. I'm struggling specifically right now with furnishing my place—no furniture, no real household goods, so I'm starting from scratch!—and impulsive clothing purchases are a huge weakness for me. I've been fairly disciplined in January/February about food costs, but home goods/fashion are my frugality enemies.

Goals:
-Cancel my Sephora Play subscription (my 10 dollar treat to myself - but I can do without for a couple of months)

I should do this too! It's only $10.95/mo, but there isn't really an "only" when it comes to uber frugal months, I think! I originally kept this expense because I've banned myself from all makeup/skincare purchases until I totally run out of some product (I have 15 lipsticks, so…I basically shouldn't buy lipstick for the next 3 years, easily)…anyways, I was thinking the Sephora subscription would be a cute little thing to give me some variety in an inexpensive way. But I don't really use the products they send me…

If it helps, I dont look at expenses on monthly basis. It costs over 130 dollars a year for something you don't fully use. Wouldn't you rather save it for a beauty item you want instead that you would actually use?

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2017, 05:55:10 AM »
It begins!! I started the month by redeeming myself from my massive February FAIL. I had been totally on budget and at the last minute bought a pile of clothes for my capsule wardrobe. And a pullover for my SO. But the stuff arrived yesterday and wasn't awesome and I'm returning everything! I also got paid for tutoring and got some b-day money so I'm back on track. Righting my past wrongs got me pumped up for this month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 06:41:08 AM »
I'm joining for March!

I've never joined one of these threads, but I think it'll help me to stay focused.

My goal is to not spend anything beyond monthly bills, groceries, and fuel.

Note:  Aside from a Fuel Filter I need to change.  It runs $70, and the dealership wants $200 to change it.  My Brother said he'd do it for $50, so I'm going to do it with him to learn how it's done.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2017, 07:12:19 AM »
My March started on Feb 23rd because I run my months by my CC statement. So I am 6 days in and I am annoyed with myself. I have spend roughly $100 on groceries already (my monthly spend is $250) and I am not even sure what I bought that added up so quickly. I feel like I need groceries already as I am low on a few key things.

The lesson learned is that when I am really busy with work / social I sometimes don't meal plan as wisely as I should and don't pay enough attention to my purchases. Luckily thanks to updating my budget daily I have been made aware of my oversight and can correct it for the rest of the month.

Back to focusing on meal planning and using up the stores!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
I know the month didn't start until today, but yesterday my win was to make dinner with only ingredients we already had on hand (free salmon in the freezer, some carrots, some parsnips that were in danger of being forgotten until they'd dissolved into a puddle in the drawer).

Then HusbandX and I had a conversation about our old lady dog. Her arthritis is so bad and we're (I'm) going to make an appointment to get her some medication. We'll also most likely be told that, despite regular cleaning, her ears are infected. So, we'll have the cost of the vet appointment and the medication to absorb this month. I doubt our food budget can absorb all of that, so I already know I'll be going over my stated spending goal. On the other hand, keeping our old lady comfortable and happy is worth it. I'd rather do that than save a few extra dollars.

I will figure out more meals like last night's, though, to try to make up somewhat. We'll see what my end of month spending actually ends up as.

Road42

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
My month has started with some unforeseen expenses - my kid broke his finger, poor guy, so we spent the day getting X-rays and doing doctor visits. Oh well, these things happen. Luckily he isn't in any pain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »
I will try an uber March.  I wont count necessary expenses though and an additional expense out of the norm will be my car insurance that will be due, but for everything else I am in.

I have really curtailed my shopping, even groceries, so another challenge will keep me pretty honest.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »
No spending today and even sold a book on Amazon. Have plenty of food in fridge. So ready for March!

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2017, 04:52:28 PM »
Day 1 - $52.03 at Aldi.  I'm completely fine with this because I haven't stepped foot in a grocery store since Feb. 11th!  I did get a few leftovers from work, and my bf bought and prepared a dinner (with leftovers for lunch).  I could get my food budget down but it's actually not bad.  And considering that my bf and I hardly ever go out, cooking is entertainment for us.  So far this year, I've only gotten take out once (my son stopped by and I wasn't prepared to feed him...) and haven't eaten out at all.  Haven't even bought anything at the vending machine at work (which is not even the least bit tempting).  I never go out for coffee.  So, all my meals are made at home. 

I will spend a little next week as my daughter is coming to town for a visit.  Nothing fancy but we will probably go out.  She's very frugal too so it won't happen much.  But then I'm back to my plan.