Author Topic: Uber Frugal January  (Read 153527 times)

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Uber Frugal January
« Reply #700 on: January 18, 2017, 12:12:31 PM »
Ugh. Sometimes, being a socially anxious person is the WORST. I got my courage up today, and headed out to Trader Joe's early, so I could price book before it got slammed (super narrow aisles, so it's hard to be slow in there!) And it went really well, but toward the end I just like... panicked? And had written the price of beef, and thought "DH really wanted tacos! I'll make him tacos" and grabbed the beef. Never mind my plans to buy no meat this month. =\

So... win on the price booking front, fail on the "oh god what if they judge me ack BUY" front.

When I am recognized by barristas, I know I am in a bad way.   :0
This is funny to me - I have had a lifelong dream of being recognized by the baristas/bartenders and getting to order the usual, but I haven't since I worked as one.  I'm too cheap so I never get to be a "regular".

...I'm still facebook friends with 4 past baristas who I was a regular for. And had a bartender know me by sight in college and give me my 'regular', because I would drink Irish coffees while working on papers. One coffee shop (I always worked there when I was in online classes) was to the point that other regular knew me, and I could put drinks on my 'tab' and top it up periodically (basically they held a GC behind the counter for me, lol), and the owner would randomly give me like lasagna and stuff he had cooked. Not even on the menu- just gave me random free foods.

It's been quite a journey to frugality for me in several respects, haha.

I have similar barista and bartender moments in my before-frugality history.... um but not because I was writing papers hahaha. 

It sounds like your meat will go pretty dang far, at least! 

- DH had to take a bus home from work (~20 km) - unexpected $4. He often bikes, but it was absolutely POURING rain...like, torrential.
- DH also had a dentist appointment that I forgot about - $40 co-pay
- I went out for a coffee date with an old friend - $4
- Managed to save about $10 on birthday gift for young relative & still got them something awesome (spent $20), so that balances out some of the above.

Not perfect, but still within target, so I'm not sweating it. :)

I am also going to visit a friend in a neighbouring community this weekend - will have to pay about $6.50 toll for highway. Small costs like this are worth it for me, because maintaining strong relationships is super important. I will willingly & happily cut back on many other things (ie: I have been cutting my own hair for at least 15 years, no cable in 20 years), but not on small costs to spend time with people I care about. :) We will be going for a hike together and have tea at her house.

Keep up the great work, everyone!

Being more mindful and taking effort to maintain my relationships is a huge goal of mine this year.  I've managed by complete accident to have all my social outings in town be free so far this month, which I didn't plan for (I assumed $5-10 spend per event) but I realized today I'm now reluctant to spend anything.  I have plans this weekend to meet a friend at a bakery and found myself hesitating!

On one hand I'm glad that I'm really thinking about my spending choices, but I don't want to go so far I end up declining invitations.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:18:06 PM by katscratch »

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #701 on: January 18, 2017, 12:18:50 PM »
I'm a big fan of this lentil taco recipe - uses all basic spices & ingredients (no mix) I substitute regular chilli powder for the ancho - http://www.isachandra.com/2011/05/ancho-lentil-tacos/

Oh wow, that looks amazing.  Bookmarking!

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #702 on: January 18, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »
OK survived the dreaded "money talk" with the wife. Wasn't easy as were trying get out from a bit of a debt overhang but we discussed our spending goals for the month!

Business trip, kind of fell of the fugal wagon, not only got a coffee and snack on the way there but again on the way back, but shockingly went only 14€ over budget whoot whoot

Got a parking ticket, didn't see the no parking sign, explains why there was space free. Only 10€ so not so bad

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #703 on: January 18, 2017, 12:20:34 PM »
I was all bummed when Isa removed PPK from her branding.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #704 on: January 18, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »
On one hand I'm glad that I'm really thinking about my spending choices, but I don't want to go so far I end up declining invitations.

I made a conscious decision to say yes to outings with people I care about. I try for free whenever possible (hikes, beach days, coffee at home, movie & game nights, bike rides, etc....), but I am also OK with spending a few dollars here & there (ie: occasional beer / camping trip / take out / coffee / movie / event) if that is what it takes.

This is an issue we have as expats, new to the city and don't have a lot of friends yet. Only way to meet people to to go events and meetups but they always happen in the city and at restaurants and your looking at parking and drinks and sometimes diiner. Wife and I were discussing what ones to join and what ones to pass on.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #705 on: January 18, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
Weekly Update Time! I'm not sure why I've taken to updating on Wednesdays, but I'm sticking with it. Overall things went well this week but there is room for improvement.

Wins:
-Spent all day downtown & spent $5 total on food (free concert, free political rally). This maybe shouldn't count as a win... but it could have been much much worse and it is tricky for me to think of portable snack food that I'm not intolerant to that I can bring in my purse.
-Spent $41 at the grocery store. This keeps me on track for my goal of $200 for the month. I honestly don't know how people get it so much lower! I am limiting myself to one meat item a week and don't buy packaged foods. Meals include things like Lentil Shepard's Pie, White Bean Potato Soup, bean/rice/veggie stir fry, and sausage/cabbage scramble. 

Challenges/Facepunches:
-Bought a Bota Box of wine. This is a good deal (17 bucks for 4 bottles worth) but still unnecessary. I just really enjoy a glass of wine while painting and I swear my paintings are better...
-Spent $90 on pre-planned medical expense, but then was given a prescription that cost another $68. This breaks my budget goal.
-I tried to buy some meat in advance because it was on sale. I opened it up 2 days before the expiration date and it smelled very bad. So that is $5 lost.

Frugal Weekend Plans:
-Woman's March (not DC, but another major city)! This is free, of course, but I am worried that I will spend on food because I will be downtown for so long. I will need to investigate affordable snacks to bring with me. 

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #706 on: January 18, 2017, 01:52:23 PM »
Today my husband took my daughter to her yearly eye appointment about 45 minutes away. It's not for vision but for her lenses.. anyways. Then to the dentist for him, then to the doctor for some yucky sinus stuff, I haven't heard the verdict but I got an email that he spent $68 at the pharmacy with my HSA card. So HSA took a hit today, but that is what it's for I suppose.

I haven't eaten out or gotten coffee away from home this month, so that's a win. I have a $25 subway gift card but haven't used it yet. Still loving the library and I just finished my 4th non school book of the year . Calico Joe by John Grisham which I enjoyed.

Plugging along. Doing okay.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #707 on: January 18, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »
Spent the afternoon at the local children's hospital, after an emergency call from the school and an ambulance ride across town. Son is fine, but we incurred $14 in parking, $10 in snacks, and $15 for dinner. Not so bad in the grand scheme of things...

tortoiseshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #708 on: January 18, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
Day 1: $10.00 (church offering)
Day 2: $0
Day 3: $2.00 (DH coffee)
Day 4: $27.93 ($9 groceries, $18.93 OTC medication)
Day 5: $0
Day 6: $85.75 (internet: the price was raised this month; I have to work on getting it down.)
Day 7: $23.75 (groceries, including cat food)

Week 1 Total: $149.43

Day 8: $10.00 (church offering)
Day 9: $7.04 (eggs and loaf of bread)
Day 10: $4.25 (cat treats and DH coffee)
Day 11: $22.55 (groceries for DH lunches, vitamins, shoe polish)
Day 12: $39.49 (electric bill and DH coffee)
Day 13: $0
Day 14: $33.53 (groceries)

Week 2 Total: $116.86

Day 15: $106.41 (cell phone bill, anniversary dinner, church offering)
Day 16: $35.00 (prescription medication for cat)
Day 17: $11.05 (groceries for DH lunches, DH coffee)
Day 18: $1.79 (DH coffee)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #709 on: January 18, 2017, 07:07:35 PM »
A zero spend day!

I got inspired by katscratch's post to actually read the Frugalwood's blog post, and sign up for the email. It took awhile, but I was finally able to articulate why I'm doing an UFM. I'm participating because 2016 felt both too restrictive, and too spendy. Looking at the trend, I definitely got into a cycle of financially restricting, freaking out, then binging. It's ultimately sill to refuse myself new kitchen towels, and then sooth all the angst by spending the same amount of money, plus some, on spontaneous self soothing.

So my short-term goal is to take this uber frugal month to create a mental checklist, so I have some independent metric that will help me decide on when to pull the trigger on wants. I've read other people's checklists, but they never seem to work for me. I need to come up with my own.

Spending
1/09:  $0
1/10:  $0
1/11:  $0
1/12:  $8.40 on groceries
1/13:  $38.86 on 13 gallons of primo gasoline
1/14:  $64.62 on groceries. First big grocery shopping for 2017. I'm using the receipt as the blastocyst of a price book.
1/15:  $4.56 on coffee shop for me n' friend.

1/16 - $0 (but $10.95 using a gift card)
1/17 - $4.00 on travel
1/18 - $0

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #710 on: January 18, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »
I can't say we've been perfect - definitely a few small slip-ups - but overall, I am SO PLEASED with how we've tackled UFJ. Looks like we'll come in under what we thought was a 'stretch' budget goal!* Woot!

*Unless one of the random bad things that seem to be happening to other UFJ participants happens to us...

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #711 on: January 19, 2017, 05:45:25 AM »
I just saw this thread, definitely in! I need a low month after many months of quite the opposite. Goal is $1750.
I'm sitting at $169.15 spent so far this month. I haven't paid any of my monthly bills yet though...mortgage, utilities, car insurance. I'm pretty confident I will come in under $1,500 for the month.
I'm at $1,215 spent. All my big bills have been paid...mortgage, car insurance, all utilities. All that is left is 2 grocery trips, a tank of gas, and a round of golf. Should be right at $1,500 for the month, which will be close to a 60% savings rate!

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #712 on: January 19, 2017, 06:20:11 AM »
I just saw this thread, definitely in! I need a low month after many months of quite the opposite. Goal is $1750.
I'm sitting at $169.15 spent so far this month. I haven't paid any of my monthly bills yet though...mortgage, utilities, car insurance. I'm pretty confident I will come in under $1,500 for the month.
I'm at $1,215 spent. All my big bills have been paid...mortgage, car insurance, all utilities. All that is left is 2 grocery trips, a tank of gas, and a round of golf. Should be right at $1,500 for the month, which will be close to a 60% savings rate!

Amazing! Congrats!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #713 on: January 19, 2017, 07:24:36 AM »
Checking in again:

Monthly Reoccurring Bills paid: $96.42 (phone) $20.00 (barkbox)  ____(internet); _____(gas) _____ (electric) _____ (water/recycling) ______(mortgage/taxes)
1/1: $0
1/2: $0
1/3: $30.37 (me)  and $17.08 (DH)
1/4: $3.56 (me) and $7.42  (DH)
1/5: $0.60 (me) and $6.93 (DH)
1/6: $0 (me) and $30.35 (DH)
1/7: $34.15 (me) and $0 (DH)
1/8: $0
1/9: $45.14 (me) and $27.97
1/10: $44.88 (me) and $0 (DH)
1/11: $13.97 (me) and $0 (DH)
1/12: $4.99 (me) and $65.87 (DH)
1/13: $0
1/14: $120
1/15: $0
1/16: $0 (me) $33.05 (DH)
1/17: $4.05 (me) and $0 (DH)
1/18: $38.22 (me) and $0 (DH)

Another day, more grocery spending. Most of the $40 I spent yesterday was on meat- a gigantic pork loin at $1.69 a pound, and 4 pounds of beef at $3.99 a pound. The rest is a box of ice cream bars: oddly my nutritionist recommended them to me as a bedtime snack to help regulate my overnight fasting glucose level (though all my levels have been excellent, so I'm not too worried about things), and they work out cheaper per serving than the glass of milk I was drinking. Okay...

I'm trying to figure out what to do to celebrate my birthday. I had decided we were going to make an exception to go for Indian food for my birthday, but with the GD diagnosis I'd have to skip the mango lassi's and naan, and that's just not much fun. DH usually makes me a birthday cake, but I have to skip THAT too.  I think I'm going to ask him to make a nice stir fry at home; but it's not much of a celebration to eat a regular meal we always have...

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #714 on: January 19, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
1-17 - $0.00 spent
1-18 $0.00 spent   I'm already calling today.  DH is out of town eating on an expense account and I have leftovers for dinner.  I am hard at work on school assignments and have no intention of leaving the house.  Win.

I have a grocery list and meal plan in the works.  I am trying to change my mindset for groceries.  For example, I am out of my favorite cereal, but I have two other cereals to use up. Normally I would keep those two boxes in reserve instead of eating them.....next week I'm going to eat those boxes.

scissorbill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #715 on: January 19, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
I have a grocery list and meal plan in the works.  I am trying to change my mindset for groceries.  For example, I am out of my favorite cereal, but I have two other cereals to use up. Normally I would keep those two boxes in reserve instead of eating them.....next week I'm going to eat those boxes.
It's great to see the small sacrifices that add up.  I've shaved $200 off my grocery budget this month and nobody's lost weight or developed scurvy. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #716 on: January 19, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »
I think I'm going to ask him to make a nice stir fry at home; but it's not much of a celebration to eat a regular meal we always have...

Happy Birthday! This is a great time to create a list of non-food ways to celebrate. I come from a family of foodies where EVERYTHING revolves around or is celebrated by food. Due to some recent dietary issues that is a no go anymore so we have had to find other ways to celebrate. Maybe your husband giving you a massage? Or you play a game? or....

We ended up writing a list of non-costly, non-food things we each love to receive based on our love languages. Acts of service, physical touch and words of endearment/compliments factor in high for both of us, and those don't involve spending money!

Spending wise, it has been pretty boring on our front. Hubs purchased some weather stripping and stuff for the house, but used a gift certificate he received from work for a good safety record.  We are up to 190.00 for groceries and might have to do one more sub 50.00 shop. Quite a bit less than our average grocery spend last year of 444/month - but we are eating up a bunch of staples that will have to be considered for purchase once everything is gone.

I think the big things to come out of our UFJ is that we are pondering things more - and I thought we did this quite consistently, the nature of the conversations are changing a bit. We decided to totally redo out budget and ADD more money to a lot of categories.

I have been working from savings rate backward which was causing us a huge amount of stress and not giving us realistic data for what we actually spend. Once savings was accounted for there was very little left for actual living and we would just allocate any extra income that came in to bump up the categories as needed. This caused some "creative accounting" on our end and made it tough to break down in a couple of categories what we were spending. Also, it is not sustainable once we reach FI as there are things we are going to want to do. So instead we came up with a realistic budget we feel we can work with and still enjoy life and anything above that will be going to savings. In figuring out those amounts, we talked about what we realistically spend and went through all our purchases last year to figure out if they were worth it. Now any extra money goes right to savings, it is just a little but significant mind tweak. Abundance vs. scarcity. We'll see how it goes :)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #717 on: January 19, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
Not a good day yesterday.  Ended up going out for a fast food dinner - $16.00.   I feel really badly about this now that I look at it.  However, no more meals out for a week. 

Today and tomorrow, no buying coffee on the way to work.  So glad this little habit is broken.  Such a waste of $$$.   Tonight we are going to my nephew's hockey game and I am taking a water bottle and packing a snack. 

Keep up with the good work challenge members.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:57:24 PM by pachnik »

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #718 on: January 19, 2017, 09:46:38 AM »
Week 1: 2 0-spend days, total spending of $87 (postage, groceries, parking)
Week 2: 4 0-spend days, total spending of $434 (groceries and sports equipment for the kids)

Week 3:
Jan 16: $4 (lunch with new collegue) $4 (parking)
Jan 17: $12 (dinner at work travel) $120 (a huge pile of firewood)
Jan 18: $21 (car light) $3 (groceries)
Jan 19: $10 (snacks while travelling)

After a week where we ended up buying more groceries than planned (but still according to the overall food plan, and we found good sales on staples), this week looks much better. I almost made it through a long work travel without spending anything, but when I had to stay an extra night, my packed food ran out. Still, the per diem for that travel was more than $140, so I pocketed 90% of it. The firewood was according to plan (or really should have been bought in November). Also, the car light is not something that should be postponed. I think the potential ticket for a missing light is ~$200. The snacks today was unecessary and should have been avoided.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #719 on: January 19, 2017, 12:56:12 PM »
I'm doing okay this month (except my exception of clothing, which is off-budget for noted reasons in the beginning) but I wouldn't call myself super-frugal.

Fixed expenses are the same as usual: Rent: $615 Utilities/Internet: $70 and Health Insurance: $231

My big issue is with a snowstorm that shut down our unprepared city for 14 days of this month I have spent $20 on transit this month. Luckily, I put it on my Chase Sapphire Rewards card so it's getting reimbursed, but I hate spending money on transit :( even though I'm really happy transit mostly kept running and got me to work/events despite the awful weather. It simply was not bikeable outside though. Today is the first day of melting in over a week, so I finally was able to bike into work again today!

Flexible expenses this month thus far:
$121.57 on groceries (budget is $155, but this week was a stock-up, so we should make it)
$6 on a movie (our first in 7 months!)
$5.50 on eating out
$5 on coffee
$39.99 on the gym
$1 on household goods (sponge)
--------------------------------------
Total flexible spending: $174.06

So, not the most frugal ever with the coffee & the burrito/movie date night, but I'm happy about both those expenses (especially the  coffee after walking 2 miles in the snow.) So not that heartbroken but this is not my best frugal month ever.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #720 on: January 19, 2017, 01:22:26 PM »
It's great to see the small sacrifices that add up.  I've shaved $200 off my grocery budget this month and nobody's lost weight or developed scurvy.

Lol

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #721 on: January 19, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »
Can I join in two, nearly three weeks late? I've been reading along since the beginning of the month and am feeling inspired by you all to join in for Uber Frugal February, but figured, why wait? My goal is to put as much as possible on our car loan ($7825 remaining) over the next six weeks. February is a good month to tackle it as we're expecting some side income money to come in and hopefully a tax refund. If we pair that with selling some stuff and an UFM, we might get close to paying it off. I will admit, I did some shopping this morning, so I'll start my accounting tomorrow (I don't feel guilty about my purchases, though, as everything was bought with the intention of saving money in the long run (curtain fabric for some cold windows, garden supplies, and a saw for turning some storm-damaged branches into stove wood). I shouldn't have any exceptions for the rest of January, though my husband may feel the need to patron a potential client's business this month. My kids do have a triple birthday party to attend this month... I'm thinking I might find some blank coloring-in bookmarks and postcards we have around the house to give as gifts. Hopefully four and five year olds won't mind re-gifting!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #722 on: January 19, 2017, 02:31:14 PM »
Checking in again:

Monthly Reoccurring Bills paid: $96.42 (phone) $20.00 (barkbox)  ____(internet); _____(gas) _____ (electric) _____ (water/recycling) ______(mortgage/taxes)
1/1: $0
1/2: $0
1/3: $30.37 (me)  and $17.08 (DH)
1/4: $3.56 (me) and $7.42  (DH)
1/5: $0.60 (me) and $6.93 (DH)
1/6: $0 (me) and $30.35 (DH)
1/7: $34.15 (me) and $0 (DH)
1/8: $0
1/9: $45.14 (me) and $27.97
1/10: $44.88 (me) and $0 (DH)
1/11: $13.97 (me) and $0 (DH)
1/12: $4.99 (me) and $65.87 (DH)
1/13: $0
1/14: $120
1/15: $0
1/16: $0 (me) $33.05 (DH)
1/17: $4.05 (me) and $0 (DH)
1/18: $38.22 (me) and $0 (DH)
1/19: $0 (me) and $14.06 (DH)

Today's spending was all in fruit. We each eat 3-5 pieces of fruit a day, so it really seems to add up. We buy fruit based on what is in season, so we do our best to reduce the spending; but it's expensive.  Maybe someday those apple trees in the backyard will produce something edible. (Though likely not in January...)

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #723 on: January 19, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »
Can I join in two, nearly three weeks late? I've been reading along since the beginning of the month and am feeling inspired by you all to join in for Uber Frugal February, but figured, why wait? My goal is to put as much as possible on our car loan ($7825 remaining) over the next six weeks. February is a good month to tackle it as we're expecting some side income money to come in and hopefully a tax refund. If we pair that with selling some stuff and an UFM, we might get close to paying it off. I will admit, I did some shopping this morning, so I'll start my accounting tomorrow (I don't feel guilty about my purchases, though, as everything was bought with the intention of saving money in the long run (curtain fabric for some cold windows, garden supplies, and a saw for turning some storm-damaged branches into stove wood). I shouldn't have any exceptions for the rest of January, though my husband may feel the need to patron a potential client's business this month. My kids do have a triple birthday party to attend this month... I'm thinking I might find some blank coloring-in bookmarks and postcards we have around the house to give as gifts. Hopefully four and five year olds won't mind re-gifting!

Welcome!  I'm definitely doing February as well.  I don't know if you've already seen the Frugalwoods post http://www.frugalwoods.com/2016/12/19/uber-frugal-month-the-ultimate-guide-to-saving-more-money-than-you-ever-thought-possible/ but I've really enjoyed the daily emails - they've given me quite a bit of insight into my spending habits.

tortoiseshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #724 on: January 19, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »
Day 6: $85.75 (internet: the price was raised this month; I have to work on getting it down.)

Day 19: $867.29 (rent, house coffee, oats, sesame seeds)

My total for the month so far is $1287.83, which is far less than usual at this time of the month! I'm so pleased.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #725 on: January 19, 2017, 06:13:17 PM »
Zero spending for today. Plus, I got reimbursed for my $4 parking fee, thanks to Chase and their $300 travel credit on the CSR. I'm editing the log, because it make me happy to see a long row of zeros. Yup, yup, yup.

Spending
1/14:  $64.62 on groceries. First big grocery shopping for 2017. I'm using the receipt as the blastocyst of a price book.
1/15:  $15 recharging Starbucks card

1/17 - $0  (reimbursed $4 on parking)
1/18 - $0
1/19 - $0

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #726 on: January 19, 2017, 06:20:13 PM »
1/1/17- gas, $33
1/2/17- groceries, $18
1/3/17- gas, $20 and groceries $51, general household $14, dog nails clipped $13
1/4/17- $0
1/5/17- $0
1/6/17- $0
1/7/17- $45.53 groceries, $18 pet food

1/8/17- $0
1/9/17- $25.07 groceries, $18.88 general household
1/10/17- $75 work jacket for DH
1/11/17- $3.68 groceries, $4.78 general household
1/12/17- $0
1/13/17- $23.53 gas; $20.49 groceries; $9.79 Beer for evening with friends; Amazon S&S: $49.28 dog food, $31 protein powder for DH, $13.24 general household, $22.73 prenatal vitamin
1/14/17- $8 car wash

1/15/17- $5.01 groceries
1/16/17- $10.91 gas; $43.23 groceries (costco)
1/17/17- $0
1/18/17- $8.98 groceries
1/19/17- $0 $2.65 wine (plus $7.34 as the remainder of a gift card)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:51:30 PM by Bracken_Joy »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #727 on: January 19, 2017, 07:48:23 PM »
Got tea at Starbucks today because I really just needed to get out of my basement  apartment and see daylight for a few hours, but had work to do.  House guest treated me to sushi and a fancy cocktail.  $2.45 spend today.

Did my budget projection out to mid March.  Things will be looking good if I can keep going like this, even though I'm not killing it like most everyone else in this thread.

Got the gas bill and it was a reasonable $102 considering how cold it's been since mid December.   Glad I burned so much firewood.  Electricity looking to stay on target around $70 even though I teleworking and used a space heater quite a bit.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #728 on: January 19, 2017, 08:46:43 PM »
Had to run to an appointment. Left wallet at home. DD called wanting dessert. No can do! Spending money adverted.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #729 on: January 19, 2017, 11:14:33 PM »
Can I join in two, nearly three weeks late? I've been reading along since the beginning of the month and am feeling inspired by you all to join in for Uber Frugal February, but figured, why wait?

Hi, I'm joining late too!  Why wait, indeed?!?

Some of you will have seen me around here before, but I must admit that I tend to drop in and out of the forums, active for a while then just too busy to keep up an online life and I drift away for sometimes a long while.  But I never fail to appreciate the amazing community here, and it's good to see some old online friends in this thread!

Anyway, I have signed up for the Frugalwoods emails, so will be working my way through whatever they have to offer for the next 31 days, best as I'm able.  I'm not going to be able to tackle all of the introductory questions tonight, but thought I'd share a couple of reflections...

1.  Why are you participating in this Challenge?
In the usual spirit of New Year's, I've been taking stock.  And I'm realizing that financially, I'm in much the same position I was in this time last year.  Good news/Bad news.  Good news is that last year at this time, I didn't have a handle on my recurring expenses, but now I'm at least stablized.  Bad news is that my debt is still about the same!  I need to move the needle even further, if I want to get the debt paid off and have the opportunity to save for my future.  Future me is clamouring for some money love, and current me still isn't sure I'm getting the best value for how I spend my money.

2.  What do you hope to achieve?
Short term goal is to squeeze a little more money aside this month for debt repayment. 
But the bigger goal is taking some time to consider value for money, in how I spend.  Am I getting what I want out of my dollars?  Is my money helping me to accomplish my real life goals?  Reading through this thread, I really appreciate seeing people not just pinch pennies, but spend them judiciously when it means preserving existing relationships, or developing new ones. 

So, after reading through most of this thread last night (and the rest with my morning coffee - made at home!), this is what I did:

1.  Packed my lunch and dinner (worked from home this morning, then went into the office for the afternoon and evening), supplemented lunch with food I have stashed in my desk at work.  Lunch was snack-y stuff (cheese, crackers, applesauce, etc).  Dinner was a container of noodles and beans from the freezer.

2.  Ended up meeting with someone, so I didn't get the chance to eat dinner at work.  I brought the still partially frozen food back home with me.  Realizing that it and most of my freezer meals are short on actual vegetables (and I'm a vegetarian!) I stopped at the grocery store and bought: milk (a more expensive brand than usual, but with a much longer expiry date), cream (for afore-mentioned coffee at home), bananas, oranges, carton of kiwi, small carton of grape tomatoes, a zucchini, a bag of 5 avocados, and a bag of shredded broccoli/carrot/cabbage stuff that's great for quickly adding veggies to a variety of dishes when I come home late at night.  Oh, and two jars of Kraft PB on sale for my hold-out price.  Less than $30 and no prepared foods, since there's plenty in the cupboards to use up!  Not sure how that's possible, considering that I've participated in several "Eat all the food in your house" type threads before.  I guess I've never actually gotten all the way through my stocks before I go back to shopping again.

Hopefully, some good progress will be made this time around!

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #730 on: January 20, 2017, 05:14:41 AM »
Here's an example of the challenges you face when you're an expat.

Saturday morning I have a men's breakfast 5€, with a bit of luck I'll get on street parking, if not 3€ an hour. I watch the time as the the other day I was 3 mins late and had to pay for another hour grr

Next week I have a lawyers appointment at 5pm and there is an expat event in the same area later that evening. So this typically means parking or taking the train plus eating out.  The wife and I brain stormed some ideas to keep it reasonable. What we'll do is take the train in which at 15€ should be the same or cheaper than parking and for dinner either a Happy Meal at Micky Ds (about 8€) or take sandwiches and then at the social we stick to a beer each. Still 25 to 35 Euros for the evening. 

Oh and some great news, just got my hydro/gas bill and getting 164€ back and you monthly bill is dropping from 110€ to 59€ All those LED lights I installed when we moved really paid off! Will take one year to recover the investment (approx 500€ in lights).

While not as lucrative as the US I do collect reward points and over time it really adds up. On payback I'm almost at 5000 points which translates into 50€ which I can have deposited into directly into my account.

All You Need is Fresh (an Amazon company) is trying to break into the German market so they’ve been giving out loads of discount coupons (17% this week) plus free delivery and Swagbucks. On a typical shopping I get 250 swagbucks so every two weeks I can trade it in for a 5€ Amazon gift card.

Takes a minor bit of effort but worth it
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:53:53 AM by Captain and Mrs Slow »

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #731 on: January 20, 2017, 06:28:09 AM »
Today's email about frugality as a joyful lifestyle is the concept that most clicked with me when I originally read it.

For me, frugality and having a mindset of no spending as my baseline has resulted in completely stopping the internal feedback loops that led to mindless spending choices.

Like being hungry on my way home from work, repeatedly thinking about my hunger and whether I should stop on the way home, and stopping at Target which for me usually meant buying way more than the one snack I "needed."  Once I made it not an option to stop on the way home, yes I was hungry, and had to wait an extra 15 minutes to cook or heat something, but huh, I didn't die of starvation -- merely had to experience an uncomfortable 30-45 minutes with an angry tummy.

Knowing it's not an option to stop for snacks means the repeat "OMG I'm so hungry" loop in my head is quieted, because it doesn't matter at the moment, and moreso I'm not that hungry after all when I know I am well-fed and will be able to eat a hot meal in less than an hour.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #732 on: January 20, 2017, 06:35:30 AM »
Bit of an impluse shopping. Every 3 weeks BoFrost, a frozen food delivery company stops by. Usually I plan the order ahead of time but was on the road and forgot to cancel so I put in a small order. Am over a out 8€ for this weeks shopping.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #733 on: January 20, 2017, 06:52:21 AM »
Jan 1: $526 rent + water
Jan 2: $37 Aldi groceries + dustpan
Jan 3: $0
Jan 4: $8 pool league, $5 toothpaste
Jan 5: $25 gas
Jan 6: $0
Jan 7: $0
Jan 8: $2.33 groceries
Jan 9: $25 electric from Nov 14 - Dec 14
Jan 10: $0
Jan 11: $21 gas
Jan 12: $0
Jan 13: $16 gas for bf's car
Jan 14: $40 monthly donation for local parrot rescue
Jan 15: $22 two oil filters and oil wrench, $23 car insurance
Jan 16: $28 groceries, my turn to buy (bf bought last week, we don't live together but we split food and cook enough for the whole week)
Jan 17: $17.50 Internet
Jan 18: $8 pool league
Jan 19: $24 gas

Total: $804.83

Goal: $1000

Only thing missing is health insurance, because I'm a loser and still on the parent's plan. My work plan doesn't offer dental or vision so I've been procrastinating what to do about that. :/ It would add about $80 a month for just medical through work. Maybe I should just get laser eye surgery (only one eye can be corrected so half the cost too) and floss really really well so I don't need either coverage...

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #734 on: January 20, 2017, 08:32:48 AM »
Only thing missing is health insurance, because I'm a loser and still on the parent's plan. My work plan doesn't offer dental or vision so I've been procrastinating what to do about that. :/ It would add about $80 a month for just medical through work. Maybe I should just get laser eye surgery (only one eye can be corrected so half the cost too) and floss really really well so I don't need either coverage...
$80 for health insurance is a killer deal! Have you asked your folks how expensive it is for them to stay on your plan? I suspect it's >$80 unless they have a seriously awesome plan. If they do have a seriously awesome plan, you should milk that until you're 26!

Vision/dental insurance is usually pretty crap, by the way. Both are more like a "discount plan" rather than health insurance with incredibly low maximums ($1000-$2000 for dental, $100-200 for vision, which is then vertically integrated in a super crazy way.) Also if you have pretty good teeth and won't need much in the way of major dental, just paying out of pocket for dental cleanings/exams every six months is pretty cheap (don't skip them, though, they pay for themselves!) - usually about $75 a cleaning if you get the "cash" discount, plus you can fund an HSA or FSA so it's pre-tax dollars, giving you a 25-45% discount depending on your tax rate.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #735 on: January 20, 2017, 12:12:48 PM »

Some of you will have seen me around here before, but I must admit that I tend to drop in and out of the forums, active for a while then just too busy to keep up an online life and I drift away for sometimes a long while.  But I never fail to appreciate the amazing community here, and it's good to see some old online friends in this thread!

YAY! So happy to see you drop in again, PJ! Hope you will stay a while, you have been missed around here :)

tortoiseshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #736 on: January 20, 2017, 05:26:56 PM »

Day 19: $867.29 (rent, house coffee, oats, sesame seeds)
Day 20: $0

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #737 on: January 20, 2017, 06:08:50 PM »
January isn't as frugal as I hoped but here's the breakdown so far:

1 - $57.58 (groceries), $5.35 (Family Dollar - needed paper to print my resume! and a pocket calendar to get organized)
2 - 0
3 - 0
4 - 0
5 - 0
6 - 0
7 - $21.80 (Walmart - mostly groceries), $14 (Lowes - finishing project), and $27 Takeout (my son dropped by unexpectedly so...fail)

8 - 0
9 - $30.56 (groceries)
10 - 0
11 - $17.44 (beer...)
12 - $11 (tampons - on sale with a coupon and should last a few months)
13 - 0
14 - 0

15 - $67.24 (groceries)
16 - 0
17 - 0
18 - $4.99 (shampoo at Walgreens - that printed out a $5 register reward so I'll pick up something free this weekend with it!)
19 - 0
20 - 0

Pretty happy with week 3.  I'm buying a shop vac tomorrow but I really need it (working on the house) and probably another small grocery run.  That will probably be it.  Added to my fixed expenses (about $1250) and I'm in pretty good shape.  I'm planning to take this into February - and hope to beat it!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #738 on: January 20, 2017, 06:34:21 PM »
Savings at $440 this month so far. Not bad!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #739 on: January 20, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »
I usually celebrate Fridays by picking up an edible treat from the grocery store. Dinner from the hotbar, and chips, or ice cream. I pride myself on the frugalness of treating myself from the grocery store, instead of a restaurant. Uber Frugal January does not approve of treats though, even from the grocery store.

I waffled for a while, then forced myself to drive past the grocery store, and ate some tasty food I already had. Now, post-supper, I'm glad I skipped the treat and chose healthy food instead. Sure was hard, though.

Spending
1/15:  $15 recharging Starbucks card

1/17 - $0  (reimbursed $4 on parking)
1/18 - $0
1/19 - $0
1/20 - $140 on passport renewal

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #740 on: January 20, 2017, 08:03:12 PM »
Picked up our new toilet $100, plus $80 for new seat and $10 tolls and parking, fuel, still a $275 saving on buying the same thing instore.

Went to IKEA to look at cabinets and showed great restraint - spent just $12 on storage jars and a replacement salad spinner. I don't think we've ever got out of there before for less than $200!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: January 20, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »

YAY! So happy to see you drop in again, PJ! Hope you will stay a while, you have been missed around here :)

Aww, thanks swick!  As usual whenever I drop back in, I'm surprised by the warmth with which I'm greeted, and by my own joy at seeing all the familiar names and avatars!  Sometimes it's hard to believe that I've never met all y'all folks!

Ok, on to Uber Frugal January updates!

Today someone gave me some money I was owed, and when I saw that I already had enough money in my wallet to easily take me through to next payday (once a month, on the 25th) I decided to take it straight to the bank machine to deposit as a payment on my credit card.

Also, it was a crazy busy day, with little sleep last night, and not a ton of time between my appointments.  My willpower is not optimal under those circumstances.  I'm happy to report two frugal wins though:

1. I was running late in the morning, but grabbed a granola bar, banana, and the 2nd half of my cup of coffee, and jumped in the car.  No drive-thru breakfast for me!
2. In between appointments, I would have killed for a coffee!  I knew they'd have some crappy coffee where I was going, but I wanted Timmy's (*whine*)  But I powered through and went straight to my destination.  Actually, it was worse than expected, because they didn't know how to use the big coffee urn, so had put out a kettle, instant coffee, and Coffeemate.  :-(

Oh well, I didn't spend any money, and I put $200 toward my credit card. Check this day off - it's done!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #742 on: January 20, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
When I am recognized by barristas, I know I am in a bad way.   :0
This is funny to me - I have had a lifelong dream of being recognized by the baristas/bartenders and getting to order the usual, but I haven't since I worked as one.  I'm too cheap so I never get to be a "regular".

...I'm still facebook friends with 4 past baristas who I was a regular for. And had a bartender know me by sight in college and give me my 'regular', because I would drink Irish coffees while working on papers. One coffee shop (I always worked there when I was in online classes) was to the point that other regular knew me, and I could put drinks on my 'tab' and top it up periodically (basically they held a GC behind the counter for me, lol), and the owner would randomly give me like lasagna and stuff he had cooked. Not even on the menu- just gave me random free foods.

It's been quite a journey to frugality for me in several respects, haha.

I have similar barista and bartender moments in my before-frugality history.... um but not because I was writing papers hahaha. 

So, earlier this week (BEFORE I signed on for UFJ!) I was out for dinner with my sister.  She's a barista.  The waitress comes over to our table to take our order, and my sister immediately says, "Hey, don't I know you?"  Waitress says, "You work at Starbucks, right?  I used to work at XYZ pub."  My sister immediately responds with waitress' "usual" coffee drink order, right down to the correct flavouring.

Folks, my sister hasn't worked at that Starbucks location for over a year!  Still knew correct drink, size and flavour.  I'm thinking waitress spent a lot of her tip money from the pub at Starbucks!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #743 on: January 20, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »

So, earlier this week (BEFORE I signed on for UFJ!) I was out for dinner with my sister.  She's a barista.  The waitress comes over to our table to take our order, and my sister immediately says, "Hey, don't I know you?"  Waitress says, "You work at Starbucks, right?  I used to work at XYZ pub."  My sister immediately responds with waitress' "usual" coffee drink order, right down to the correct flavouring.

Folks, my sister hasn't worked at that Starbucks location for over a year!  Still knew correct drink, size and flavour.  I'm thinking waitress spent a lot of her tip money from the pub at Starbucks!

This made me laugh, I still remember most of my regulars orders from my Barista job at a local coffee shop when I was still in HS. My memory has outlasted several owners and the coffee shop, which was turned into a bar. Repetition works!

UFJ Update -

Experiment: Spent today going through and organizing the freezer and pantry. Discovered I have a whole lot of Flax seeds, so am trying two different flax seed cracker recipes. They are going to have to dehydrate over night, but if they are even a little tasty, I'll be able to keep us in crackers for the next year!

Win: Plucked up the courage to tell MIL that going out for dinners wasn't working for us. We all go together but pay for ourselves. Due to my dietary issues either I couldn't go, or I would be stuck getting something stupid expensive and plain. The ONLY reason we do go out is so we can spend time with the family. But when you have 7-8 people, you are only getting to visit with whoever is directly beside/across from you, and even then it is a challenge.

I suggested we set a family potluck date at our house once a month instead. This will add a bit to the groceries, but be much less expensive and more enjoyable. She thought it was a great idea! <---WIN! This is will probably save us about $400.00 this year.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #744 on: January 21, 2017, 04:01:50 AM »
Hi all - enjoy reading everyone's posts. We are still sticking with the challenge here. This week was a good week! Zero spending on dining out, car used only twice (once for Craigslist sale - meeting at fire station as opposed to my house) and then hubby had free work dinner at fancy restaurant too far to walk to. We both walked to/from work/kids school 100% for the week (16 opportunities total!). This is the best exercise "program" I have ever been on!

My big ah-ha this week is that I am working on repairing our leaking (seriously leaks into our basement) hallway bath. Multiple shots at caulking and incision grouting has not worked over the last months and we finally resorted to lovely garbage bag. I was able to reuse all but 3 pieces of tile by scraping off the old mortar with boiling water. Tiles peeled off by hand so demo was easy! At the point I needed to cut my cement backerboard for the circles where the faucet handles were....the old me would have gotten in the car (I was avoiding because I didn't want to use the car) to buy a 3" inch drill bit to make perfect 3 inch hole. Instead, I looked at Youtube and figured people back in the 50's didn't just run down to hardware store. Thanks to a video, I made my own radius scoring device with 2 screws and a scrap of wood to make perfect impressions into my cement backerboard. Took me a few minutes only.  I probably saved 36 minutes in the car (because I would have had to go to Home Depot 18 min away) plus $5-6 on this drill bit. And then it would have went into my exhaustive collection of crap, probably never to be used again, so save on time wasted at Home Depot and driving, save on money and save on no clutter! Sorry for the rambling but I am super proud.

Tiling project almost done. I think I need to buy tile nipper though unless I can get my old wet saw fired up. Hubby home today so i should be able to focus on spending time on old saw. I have 1 last tile to set around the faucet handles. Its gnarly. Youtube videos on scoring have not worked.

I have thought about Frugal Woods perfection article (you must read if you have not because this is me to a T). My tile job looks pretty damn perfect but I did have to use 2 tiles that kind of match, but are obviously off (I tried finding vintage ebay matches but no avail). I keep telling myself to redo the whole bath, especially at this stage of my life with young children, would cost $7k for my contractor to do (yup, thats what he quoted me). I now hopefully have repaired situation for at least a few years, if not indefinitely, until my kids are in school and I can devote 5 hours a day to getting that bath done myself for ~<$1000 in materials. My pursuit of perfection costs me too much damn money. In certain lights, you can't tell they are different. I am so proud to have done this project. Expenses thus far are $10 for backerboard  (will be able to reuse in the future) + $30 for tile (I will reuse extras in the future if/when I do the bath) + $6 for tileset mortar + $ 20 for grout + $5 misc = $71 so far assuming no tile nipper purchased. I already owned caulk and reused most vintage tiles and had scraper and razor blade and grout sponge on hand.

My other win is that our 7 year anniversary was this week. I made an awesome cake (last time I made cake for a celebration, it was so bad (yes bad) I sent DH out to local bakery for ~$30). This time, I measured everything (love my food scale) and even made white chocolate rainbow sprinkles from scratch with kids. They loved it and made my cake frosting amazing.

So that brings me to my other thing that I learned from Frugal Woods. I deprive myself the opportunity to get better at something when I outsource. My cake skills are damn near some of the best bakeries I have ever been to now (I love cucake bakeries but no more!). I told my husband that it is a skill I need to learn and he needs to bear with me! Hahah...but it has paid off..

Our cell and electric bills are WAY down. Only spending this week was 40 in groceries (half of that was for anniversary dinner crab lump meat for crab cakes). I made 1 Craigslist sale so $15...net net $26 spent this week.

Great week! Learned a lot ! Sorry for rambling.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #745 on: January 21, 2017, 08:56:16 AM »
1/1/17- gas, $33
1/2/17- groceries, $18
1/3/17- gas, $20 and groceries $51, general household $14, dog nails clipped $13
1/4/17- $0
1/5/17- $0
1/6/17- $0

1/8/17- $0
1/12/17- $0
1/13/17- $23.53 gas; $20.49 groceries; $9.79 Beer for evening with friends; Amazon S&S: $49.28 dog food, $31 protein powder for DH, $13.24 general household, $22.73 prenatal vitamin
1/14/17- $8 car wash

1/15/17- $5.01 groceries
1/17/17- $0
1/18/17- $8.98 groceries
1/20/17- $19.53 groceries

Had friends over last night. I think everyone was *really* hungry, because I made a DOUBLE batch of Budget Bytes oven fajitas over rice and it all got eaten =o Not upset, it just ended up more expensive than I was planning. Peppers aren't cheap right now, but it was a last minute plan, so I went with what I could quick thaw at home. Overall it still was a win vs going out, but ehhh. Also, there was a sale on some items we use regularly- canned jalapaenos, green chiles, and chipotles en adobo, so I grabbed a decent number (6, 6, and 2). A couple of these will be used immediately today, because I've been requested to make a mega batch of chili for our friends who just had a baby (it was also their requested wedding present a few years ago!) But I still need to buy some extra meat for the chili today.

Sigh. Feeding other people might be my UFM grocery downfall, haha. Looking back I think I've served an additional 10 people meals so far this month. It's kind of a tough proposition: a lot of our friends don't cook, so going out to eat is the only alternative. At least people usually bring good drinks as a thank you, haha.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #746 on: January 21, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
Ugg 12€ for parking today but I did ask around where to find free parking on a Saturday and got some ideas, unfortunately  that is Frankfurt not sure about Darmstadt. Life of an exapt!

On other good news between Swagbucks, Payback and Deutschlands card I have nearly enough points to get 70€ cash which will buy some things I need for the house, super huge win

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #747 on: January 21, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »
I really enjoyed your post, nottoolatetostart, so thanks for "rambling."  I'm happy for you that you were able to make something so yummy/pretty for your anniversary (congrats on that too, btw!) and I appreciated the reminder about insourcing helping to build our skills.

I really enjoyed today's post about spending to impress others and needing to decide for ourselves who we want to be and if we are getting value and enjoyment from the money we spend (especially on that).  Definitely going to ponder that some today.

My UFJ has still been going pretty well.  Between lowering my medical premiums a bit by going with the higher high-deductible plan and this challenge, I can see that I can increase my 401k at least another 3%.  I'll be doing that this weekend.  And with an increase coming in April, I should definitely be able to hit my goal of 25% contribution this year, without it hurting or making me feel cheated in the rest of my life.

Along with my goals of improving my health and decreasing my food budget, I've been focusing on making my dinners a bit more interesting.  I'm a decent cook but I've always found baking more fun.  Since I've sworn off that for now, I've been trying some new dinner recipes which have helped "eat my pantry" and have made it much easier not to eat sweets/baked stuff and still feel happy about food.  Found a pumpkin veggie chili recipe and a coconut flour flatbread recipe which were both easy and yummy. 

All of these goals combined together, and reading everyone else's wins, has been very motivational.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #748 on: January 21, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
I'll update weekend numbers when I get back to work, but we made an impulse purchase today.
I had to mail 3 quilts I made for baby showers, and did that today instead of waiting for Monday because rates are going up.

While there I bought 2 books of stamps. Stamps aren't cheap, so it wasn't good for this month.  But we will use them (we use about 4 books of stamps a year), and we get an immediate return on our investment tomorrow when the price goes up 2 cents.

I also bought Thank You postcards to start sending out for baby gifts that are trickling in. I was going to send thank you cards (which I'd also need to buy)- but the postcards are cheaper, and so is the stamp. I again didn't want to buy these in January, but I feel like waiting much longer to send them would border on rude, as gifts have already arrived.

DH is also on board for postcard (instead of in an envelope) baby announcements- but that won't be until April.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #749 on: January 21, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »
1/1/17- gas, $33
1/2/17- groceries, $18
1/4/17- $0
1/5/17- $0
1/6/17- $0

1/8/17- $0
1/12/17- $0
1/14/17- $8 car wash

1/15/17- $5.01 groceries
1/17/17- $0
1/18/17- $8.98 groceries
1/20/17- $19.53 groceries
1/21/17- $21.31 gas; $49.06 groceries; $32.08 membership upgrade

Ran some errands today. First stop, a 'new' grocery store. Turns out, they fail miserably at produce prices, but they sweep the competition for things like salsas, canned peppers, hot sauces, rice, beans, etc. We mainly cook mexican at home, so this is going to be awesome. This is also where we got the meat for the chili we're taking to friends. (Meh meat prices). We spent a little more than planned because they had a hot sauces we wanted to try, and we grabbed a new type of salsa verde then we usually buy- if we like it, it'll be like 1/3 the price of what we do now.

Second stop, Costco. A couple staples- eggs, half and half, cheese samples brussel sprouts, etc. We also got pulled aside- our account had been 'flagged'. After a moment of "oh no what's wrong was my identity stolen?" it became clear that it was flagged because we spend enough there they wanted us to upgrade to an executive membership. Lol. I've actually been meaning to do this (an extra 2% back), so we went ahead and did that today- $32 for the upgrade through our renewal in August. (Plus, if we somehow don't hit the #s to make it worth it, they refund the additional cost- I know 2 people who have done this in the past, and they honor it). Anyway, not planned spending per se, but something I had meant to do and was being lazy on/forgetting.

This sadly continues the pattern that I'm less focused and spend more when DH is shopping with me. Which is a shame, because I love grocery shopping with him.