Author Topic: Uber Frugal January  (Read 69789 times)

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Uber Frugal January
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2018, 07:50:25 AM »
The waiting period thing was interesting to me, I've been doing that for ~15 years. I have a 15-year-old spreadsheet of "things I want to buy" ranked by price, how much I want them, how many different utility functions it has. I rarely wait less than a month for a discretionary purchase, except eating out which is usually planned a week or so in advance. I always put even goodwill purchases on hold overnight.

It's fun to look back at the spreadsheet at what I wanted when I was an 18 year old punk compared to now a 30 year old yuppie. Back then I wanted adbuster's logo-less shoes, bike stickers, touring panniers (which I bought then and still have now) and pretty planners.  Now I want pretty planners, bike bags, and professional grown-up shoes.

A new duvet cover has been on the spreadsheet for 7 years now, and I still can't make myself buy it because the price:cost ranking still isn't high enough!

Ha! I may have to steal the spreadsheet idea. I get an unreasonable amount of joy looking back at lists from my former self. I wouldn't want to re-read my journal (too much opportunity for self-judging), but lists are the just the right amount of reminder of who I used to be.

I bought a duvet cover when I was 22 for my first big girl apartment. I still hate putting it back on after I wash it. Overrated.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2018, 07:56:21 AM »
Here's my spreadsheet categories, in case it's helpful. Value is the value it represents (my core values are: community, creativity, travel, style, and health) and Emotion is the emotion it makes me feel. Reward for is if I can use a goal as a link to a reward - in the case of a really nice yoga shirt I want, for example, I get it when I get my splits consistently.

I bought a duvet cover when I was 22 for my first big girl apartment. I still hate putting it back on after I wash it. Overrated.
We have an ikea one but I hate it - the colors match nothing, it's really beaten up. I want one that *I* chose and that matches the Lichenstein print in our room - but I just want it, and clearly not enough. I'm only ever asleep in that room anyway. It's been on the list for 7 years.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2018, 07:58:48 AM »
@monstermonster --Thanks for the spreadsheet! I love it.

TikiTime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »
Uber Frugal January, here I come!  My goals:

Eat from the pantry and freezers (yes, we have 2)
$200 grocery spend for 3 adults
No new restaurant spend (able to use already owned gift cards valued at $125)
Reduce entertainment/alcohol spend

Spent $5 on eggs and apple cider vinegar
5/200

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2018, 09:44:32 AM »
You all are so inspiring!
We are trying to step off the spending train, my SO isn't convinced about reducing grocery/food costs
(he thinks my generous budget of $800 is too low! We regularly go out to eat and not in economical restaurants...and he really has a soft spot for cheese, wine and craft beer) But we have agreed to track food spending and are doing a 'no-shopping' year (his idea after reading a NY Times article)!

I haven't spent anything yet this year, went for a 2 hour snow-walk with a friend yesterday
and had a friend over for dinner last night but we ate tasty leftovers.

Tonight have a weekly date to go XC-skiing (it's local's night..so the ticket price is $7 vs $30)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2018, 11:22:28 AM »
Got my MRI. Did *not* get fancy coffee after. I usually reward myself for medical procedures with fancy coffees, but I skipped this time. I don't need the sugar and other crap in there anyway =) Making an extra coffee at home.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2018, 02:00:16 PM »
Ugh, it's already day 3 and I haven't updated at all!

1/1: $1150 rent, $95.20 gas (heat and cooking). The gas bill looked really high to me but I looked at our past utilities spending in YNAB and it's not actually particularly high. It probably just feels that way because this is the first bill covering a really cold period.

1/2: Bought convenience food and groceries, not sure how much (will come back later). I remember my husband's convenience food cost about $13, which seemed like a lot to me. Next time we go to Wegmans and he decides to eat there (he grocery shops and sometimes eats while I knit and socialize), I may ask him to see if there's something he can get cheaper than the buffet by weight. ETA: Total food bill was 42.98.

It occurs to me that I should probably start eating the walnuts in the pantry. Ugh. I bought walnuts for a food-processor recipe, but our food processor died. I don't like the texture of walnuts, but they should be tolerable if I cook them with my oatmeal, maybe.

Today should be a no-spend day, unless this is the day the internet bill hits.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:06:11 AM by Kerowyn »

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
My month is going splendid so far:

January, 1st. --> No spend-day, eating leftovers from NYE & the cupboard

January, 2nd --> Went to the supermarket for 1 zucchini, carrots & some cherrytomatoes to make a quiche. Had all the over ingredients already available. Also brought back empty beer bottles for refund. Thus: free groceries! We got almost 8 euro's back, after we purchased the needed groceries.
The quiche made dinner for 2 & the leftovers were today's lunch.

January, 3rd. --> Another no spend day! Made dinner with cupboard ingredients & the carrots we bought yesterday. Spend the whole day cleaning and listed some stuff on Craigslist. Already earned 40 euro's, for an hour of work. Hopefully some of the other stuff will sell too.

poko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2018, 03:10:47 PM »
I'm in as well!

I signed up for the frugalwoods challenge, too. Should be interesting. The FB comments are a very different than this forum, lol.

Did anyone else have trouble with yesterday's assignment? My 10,20, and 40 year goals are all: be retired. Hah. Also, I find it really hard to think that far ahead!

My goals for the month are:
  • No parking costs (I don't have a garage spot because I take the $ instead, but sometimes I will drive in and park on the street. Not this month! Bike only, or if the weather is really bad, I'll take the bus)
  • Call internet provider to get cheaper rate (or, I suspect, faster service for the same amount I'm paying now)
  • Eat down my pantry and freezer
  • Figure out what is up with my utility bill - idk why it's so high
  • No workday lunches out. We get fed at work 4x a week so I always say, "oh one day a week out isn't bad". Again, not this month!
  • No food waste. I've been losing track of things in the fridge during the holidays and I hate it.

and I have been doing a dry January for many years now so no booze spending will help too.

Anyone doing any other challenges? I'm trying to do Apartment Therapy's January Cure and 30 days of Yoga with Adriene, too.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »
Can I count yesterday as a negative spend day? I not only forgot to go to the store but I found $200 when cleaning my home office. That'll go a long ways towards keeping us on budget. We also received several unusual cash gifts...small amounts but all that will add up for our trip at the end of the month not having to be pulled out of savings.

On the flip side, some month in the past I managed to pull some money out of the bank and misplace $200. And I didn't even notice?!?!?!?! That seems...suboptimal...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2018, 03:43:54 PM »
Got $10 in gift cards for studies I'm a part of. Starting the process on contesting a medical bill which will hopefully save me $180. Verified the imagine place was in network for my insurance before going in this morning. Cooking dinner based on what was in the freezer.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2018, 04:33:59 PM »
Day 1: $10 for bowling (kids)
Day 2: scheduled grocery run (should cover 14 days): $163, plus windshield fluid; $9 (usually get that cheaper, but ran out on the highway in bad weather)
Day 3: 0

We are following DD’s dinner list so far. Today was pasta and tuna, yesterday we were supposed to have fish tacos, but the tortilla were off. So we used some potato wraps instead (“lompe”). The kids liked it, the adults chose to eat a sandwich instead. The shopping trip yesterday was also based on DD’s list, and came out $40 below what we normally pay. Partly because she forgot to add snacks and candy to her list. :)

We are tracking the expenses on paper this month. DD has entered all the receipts and categorized them in her notebook. In addition, we got a bill and the first paycheck today, so she has entered the bill into the online banking system, and balanced all the accounts. The next paycheck is up in a few days, and then she can start transferring to savings. It is up to her what she wants to do with it, I’m curious to see whether she wants to put everything towards loans, index funds, buy stocks, or something else completely.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2018, 04:54:53 PM »
Gaja, I love that you are having your daughter manage the budget this month. She will learn so much from doing this!

Day 3: paid a utility bill and a medical bill, DH filled up the gas tank in the car he drives to and from work, and paid the fees for booking a flight with points ($22.40, but will be reimbursed within a few days with the Chase Sapphire Reserve annual travel credit, so does it count?)

I'm making good progress towards eating up the food in the fridge/Christmas leftovers. We are starting to run low on vegetables and I will need to grocery shop tomorrow or Friday.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »

On the flip side, some month in the past I managed to pull some money out of the bank and misplace $200. And I didn't even notice?!?!?!?! That seems...suboptimal...

I just found $40 :-/ Happy-sad!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2018, 05:06:31 PM »
So far so good.

I have not spent anything so far this year.  I have kept myself cooped up at coup's house.  Have been eating food that she either bought for me on 12/26 (thanks, coup!) or directed me to eat from her pantry (yukon gold potatoes--yum!).

I checked my Ting phone bill, which I will pay this month.  It will be $17.61--the lowest it has been since last March.  (When I remember to turn the data off, that helps!)

I will be spending some money to get back home this weekend.  I don't want to ask someone to come and fetch me at the airport, so I will spend $40 on a taxi service.  (The $80 round trip is cheaper (though not by much) than airport parking would have been for 12 days.)

I will aim to get to the airport early so that I can get some free coffee at the United lounge.

Also, on Friday, I might buy some snacks so that I don't have to spend a small fortune on gross airport food.

I am considering cutting out caffeine as soon as I get home.  Also all tea (even the herbal kind).  This would save me $$.  Also, it would mean that I would drink LOTS more water, as that would be my only beverage.  Still pondering...  I do need to drink more water...

I think I have enough food at home to get me through the first week of work.  The only things I might run out and buy are apples and green veggies.

Oh, and I have some automatic charitable contributions ($55) that will occur in January (each month).

Someone did me the huge favor of checking on my house(s) while my tenant and I were both out of town.  I will be spending ~$50 on something as a thank you for her.

Also, I parked my truck/camper at a friend's house so that it would be covered in case of big snowstorms.  I will spend ~$30 on a thank you gift for him.

Other than that, it should be a pretty lean month!!  :)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2018, 05:39:03 PM »
We just seem so off kilter this month. I could not make decisions at the grocery store. Finally, three boxes of ginger snaps and a jar of lemon curd will give me 100 sample servings of a dessert for under $10. My grocery store evidently only has three flavors of icing: vanilla, chocolate and cream cheese, but in three different brands each?

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2018, 05:56:02 PM »
Day 3: Success

Spent $9.21:
  • $1.91 on 100' of non-Christmasy wrapping paper at post-Christmas clearance.  Hopefully this will last a couple years.
  • $7.30 on groceries (will get $.5 back from rebate apps) - Carrots (2lbs), Onions (2), Apple, Head of Lettuce, Cucumber, Cream Cheese (8 oz) and Natural Peanut Butter (15oz)

Frugal Successes:
  • Ate packed food at work and used my K-cups - resisted urge to buy snacks/Starbucks.
  • Stopped at Panera to pick up my free bagel - for some reason they are giving me a free bagel every day this month.  No clue why as I have rarely purchased from there.
  • Stuck to my grocery list.
  • Stopped by the library to pick up books that came in off my hold list.
  • Made a big salad for lunch tomorrow and a small salad to have with dinner.  Pulled a tortilla out of the freezer and going to make simple black bean burrito filling for dinner (and future meals).

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2018, 07:18:01 PM »
Everyone is doing so well!!

I started a spreadsheet for needs/wants last month (but it's not as cool and detailed as yours, MonsterMonster!) -- that made today's challenge from FW much easier to tackle.

Started winter quarter today and stuck to my resolve to use the free student buss pass instead of paying for a campus parking pass -- even with the sub-freezing temps and icy sidewalks! Luckily, I don't need to buy any books this quarter, since all my classes use the same books as the previous classes in the series. Plus, another no spend day!

Grocery 173.02/400
No spend 3/31
Clothing/gifts 0/0
Entertainment 0/150

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »
Called and upgraded shipping on my horse's meds to avoid having to go buy extras from the vet.

This turned into quite the cluster.  After paying $29.95 for overnight shipping due to the pharmacy being slow filling the Rx, UPS had a weather delay and didn't deliver today, so I had to go to the vet and buy 2 days' worth of meds for $74 (minus $10 rebate).  I'll end up needing to purchase extras eventually anyway, but still annoying.  Would have had a no-spend day otherwise.

Tomorrow should will be no-spend though!  I have my lunch packed and will make coffee at work.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2018, 05:16:51 AM »
No purchases during the first 3 days, only bills.  Don’t know if I can have a Uber frugal month but I want to see how far I can go. 

What’s interesting is that I already cancelled an order of a mindless purchase and caught myself on other things I would have picked up if it wasn’t so cold outside to get to a store because I didn’t want to order products that would possibly freeze.  Awesome.

dlcp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2018, 07:23:22 AM »
Sounds like everyone is killing it! My husband and I have done pretty well.

Jan. 1 - no spend
Jan. 2 - $45.00 charitable giving
Jan. 3 - no spend and on the road home my 11 y/o really wanted fast food. I explained what we are doing this January and said he could pay for it or just wait until we got home in an hour and he chose to wait.

All that is planned today is grocery shopping and my goal for the month is to keep it to less than
$500 this month. I have a lot of basics to buy because we just got back into our house after Harvey, so that's why it's a little high.

Have a great uber frugal day everyone!

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »
1/1: $1150 rent, $95.20 gas
1/2: $42.98 groceries and convenience food
1/3: $5 Planned Parenthood donation (this is a scheduled monthly donation--we have two other $5 monthly donations that will hit the accounts at some point this month)

I should also note that I budgeted $30 for my cell phone bill, but I'm on the family plan and my mom goes into a shared account on no apparent schedule (at least it's not apparent to me!) to get reimbursed, so I don't know whether this month's cell phone payment for me will be $0 or closer to $120.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2018, 08:19:33 AM »
Jan 4 Update

Groceries = $200 ($0/200)
Dining Out = $100 ($0/100)
Entertainment = $50 ($27.48/50) saw The Greatest Showman on New Year's Day, it was fantastic. DH says he'll pay me back for the tickets but until then I'm marking it down
Clothes = $0  ($0/0)
Personal & Household items = $10 ($0/0)
Misc = $75 ($0/0)

So far this month is going well, I know it's early but I'm starting off right.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2018, 08:43:23 AM »
Snow day here in DC, so I'm unexpectedly working from home.  Going to make it a no leaving the house and a no spend day.  It probably would have been a no getting out of my pajamas day if I had remembered to check OPM status before getting up and showering. 

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2018, 09:35:18 AM »
Good job everyone! Happy Snow Day to those of us on the East Coast. Hope y'all keep power!

JAN BUDGET:
Transportation (Bus, Train, Uber) < $100 $8/$100-- This frigid weather is making Uber feel very tempting. Then I saw that thread about biking in below 0 weather and I felt like a wimp. So I'm really holding myself to this goal.
Phone Bill < $30 (fixed) $0/$30
Groceries < $250 $60/$250
Medical < $40 (fixed) $20/$40-- I've had 1 of 2 scheduled appointments, so I should stay on budget for this one.
Fitness < $50 $0/$50-- haven't signed up for any classes yet. Might try and see if I can motivate myself at home. I'm wishing there wasn't a blizzard right now, because I'd love to run outside.
Misc Expenses < $200 $16/$200-- Netflix & Hulu-- I got the Hulu for Handmaid's Tale, forgot to cancel. Oops. I'll get rid of it for next month. Keeping Netflix though!
Clothing = $0 $0/$0
Eating Out = $0
$0/$0-- found that I still have some money on a Chipolte gift card, so I'll use this if I really need a cooking break this month
TOTAL SPENDING GOAL: $675 $104/$675

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2018, 10:18:41 AM »
Today will be my first grocery trip(s) of the month. Hitting costco, but have a pretty short list, and no meat or eggs. Only buying a few things, since I'm still waiting to hear from my doctor when I start my meds/medical diet to go along with it. Spending will probably sky rocket at that point since I can eat like... nothing >.< Ughhh. Anyway, I should plan ahead and make a meal plan for that, but have a MASSIVE mental block about it.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
Jan 1 $0 too cold to grocery shop so ate from the freezer as I should be doing anyway
Jan 2 $120 car battery troubleshooting, new battery, and installation by my kiddo
         $48 taking my kiddo and his gf out for dinner to thank them for spending 3 days in -10 to -15 F fixing my car
Jan 3 $8.81 groceries that should last through the weekend
         $0 at dance night, had tea before going and water while there. Take that, Bulleit Bourbon giving me the sideeye.

I bussed to work all days last week and this week except for today. Chose to sleep an extra hour and drive.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »
I'm planning a relatively frugal January after 2 weeks of travelling during December that cost a lot.  We need to spend at least some money on the following though:

• at home simple 6th birthday party for younger daughter.  We usually just buy food and drinks and I make cupcakes for everyone
  • haircut and color for me - I do this around twice a year and it definitely needs to be done now

Not going to buy any clothes for anyone or other unnecessary stuff and we're keeping the food budget low.  No eating out.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2018, 01:16:11 PM »
Day 4:

Spend 15 euro's on groceries. Total spend on groceries: 15/250.

So far so good.

But.... I spend 100 euros on home decor (plants, 1 lamp for beside our bed & some wall decoration). On the upside, I used the 50 euros earned on Craigslist for this. Although I planned this expense, it still feels kinda unnecessary. But since we're selling our house this month & our house looked way too empty, cold & minimalistic in the pictures, we decided to spend it anyway. So before the photographer will take the real pictures of our house to go online, we created some pretty nooks. House looks much prettier overall (not just in the pictures, but in everyday life as well), so all in all I'm really very happy with this spending. Another 50 euros are planned for this purpose as well and that should do it :) Hopefully it'll work & we'll sell our house quickly!

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2018, 01:17:06 PM »
Well, my no spend day was a failure. But, in kind of a good way. 

As I was doing a bit of organizing, I realized I only have ~3 weeks of contact lenses left.  Time to reorder.  And no need to pay for rush shipping (yes, I have been there and done that).  Instead of just reordering from 1-800-contacts which would have been $599 for a year's supply (with a $90 rebate), I did some research.  Ordered a year's supply from CVS for $365.   Also clicked through a portal giving 3 amtrak points/$ (~8.5% rebate) to pad my amtrak account for future trips.

No more spending for the day.  For real this time. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2018, 01:26:26 PM »
Stopped myself from buying a starbucks gift card, even though cardpool FINALLY got them back in stock, and they're 10.5% off. We go to starbucks so much less now than ever before that I'll just try to delay as long as possible. No planned road trips, which is when we mostly use them.

Costco spending was a little higher than expected, because ziplocks were on sale, and we're running low on gallon size. I picked up sandwich bag size too, but much to my frustration found we have an unopened box of 4 boxes already! And the returns like is BONKERS because of post christmas, so I don't want to return them. Ughhhhhh. I'm sure they'll be used eventually, but not for a long time- we move through them very slowly. Also forgot we needed new coffee, so the trip cost more overall than expected ($62 total, $20.18 of "general household" and ~$42 of groceries).

One more diagnostic procedure Saturday, unsure if my initial deposit to this clinic will cover it or if it'll cost more, we'll see. Still, actually making progress on my health stuff, so that's good.

DH wants new jiujitsu shorts, but has agreed to wait a month. Personally, I'm hoping the work he's been doing around the gym (helping them set up security cameras, and running cable for that) will mean a free month or some free gear or something. We'll see.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2018, 04:02:01 PM »
Dang--got hit with an annual fee for a credit card.  They say they won't waive it.  Grrr.  Also, an insurance company hit me with a $7 fee because their use interface was confusing and annoying.  I think I might have success arguing that one, but my first attempt didn't work.  Extra grrr...

I am considering taking myself out to lunch tomorrow at an Indian restaurant here near @couponvan 's house.  (Her DH recommended it.)  I do love me some Indian food, haven't had any for years, and won't have the opportunity again for who knows how long.  And it will probably be good food, because I get the sense that there is a strong Indian community in the area.  And I imagine that lunch will be cheaper than dinner.  Hmm...will ponder, and take a look at what else I will be spending money on this month...

hal

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2018, 04:06:43 PM »
Today was a snow day for me, and tomorrow will be, too. That means it has been easy not to spend money, especially since we meal planned and bought groceries before Jan 1. Today, I got to work on the couch and smell the wonderful food in the slow cooker all day...

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2018, 04:37:55 PM »
Four days in!

Today was a most excellent day. Didn't spend but came out $150 ahead! I bought new shoes right after Christmas at REI. There was damage to the metal eyelet ring, which shredded the shoelace the first time I pulled them tight. Yesterday I sent in a warranty request to Keen, requesting new laces (I can fix the eyelet with needle nose pliers -- it just wasn't crimped properly). A nice apology email showed up a few minutes ago with a code for $150 off my next purchase, must be used within a year - and I get to keep the shoes! I didn't even spend $150 on the shoes originally because they were 50% off clearance, which Keen could see because I had to send them the receipt. I'd budgeted for new hiking/everyday wear shoes for the younger boy this spring, now he gets them for free. Still going to wait until after snow boot season to get them so he doesn't outgrow the new shoes before he gets a chance to wear them.

Grocery 173.02/400
No spend 4/31
Clothing/gifts 0/0
Entertainment 0/150

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »
I'm in for a frugal month.
Today I filled the car up for $1.49/gal premium gas, $20 total (used discount on grocery points).  That should be the only time I fill up this month since the only time we drive is to take the kids to school (4mi/day total), and get groceries 1x/week (8 mi round trip).
No spend on 1/1, 1/3; 1/2 was $35 on groceries, 1/4 $20 gas, $43 wine/vodka..... need to work on this one. No spend planned for the next 2 days.

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »
Took the kids with a friend (and her 2) to a nature reserve for a walk and a picnic. It was great (and free). My friend also volunteered  to look after them the whole day next Tuesday, saving us 170 dollars in childcare fees. I am so grateful. I am also grateful for the kids being cute and well behaved as people keep inviting them over and volunteering to look after them.

Spent 136$ on groceries. A bit higher than planned, but meat was on sale so I stocked up and I am planning to do some batch cooking today.

Not  frugal but fun: the weather looks great so we are doing a long weekend away on the boat. We  have fuel budgeted for this, and we have plenty of drinks a d food, so I guess the 100$ is not bad for 3 days away snorkelling.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2018, 06:40:28 AM »
Still haven't bought any coffee at work! Yesterday was looking like a no-spend day, but I picked up a few veggies and milk in the evening.

Monthly total:
Coffee bought: 0
Grocery spending: $18

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2018, 06:45:46 AM »
Day 4 - no misc impulse spending.  Awesome. 

What is interesting is what I would have bought mindlessly that I wasn’t even looking for but just happened to see. 

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2018, 06:48:50 AM »
We ended up going out to eat last night due to poor planning on my part, blah. And we'll be eating out for an event with my husband's alumni group this weekend, which we could skip but probably shouldn't.

I got most of next week's grocery shopping done at Aldi for $62, including a few treat items (ice cream and berries). Still need to pick up the last few items at the big grocery store, but grocery spending for the month stands at $133/$400, including our herdshare payment for the month's milk.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
I bought some travel size peanut butter for carry on. DS will eat PB&J for airport meals on our upcoming trip. His favorite. No luck finding small jelly yet. We don't usually spring for convenience size but will do so to avoid paying for airport food. Our goal is no airport food spending.

TikiTime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2018, 09:21:30 AM »
Decided to add a few more categories to hold myself more accountable:

Grocery 20/200  Spent $15 on mushrooms, spinach and deli meat
Entertainment(includes alcohol)  20/50 bought a box of wine  This will be a huge challenge, Mardi Gras season starts on 12th Night!
Fitness 0/50
Clothing 10/0  First Fail, but scored 2 beautiful blouses reg. retail $168!

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2018, 09:44:36 AM »
I think I had unrealistic expectations.  This week, there was supposed to be a trivia night at our local bar, and it was cancelled after we ordered drinks.  Normally, my husband's drinks are comped, but since there wasn't trivia, we had to pay $11 instead of $5 for just mine.  I didn't really even want to go, but it was a special situation with husband announcing the trivia.  So, money spent for nothing.

We are having friends over for dinner, and while I already had the chicken and potatoes, we bought zucchini (on sale) and beer/vodka.  The vodka will last a while, but it was $20, and the beer and zucchini, limes, and tonic were another $20ish.  The beer will also last a while with our current lifestyle.  But still.  Spent $50 this week, and it doesn't seem like I did anything different than I would have otherwise, so it doesn't really feel like I am even trying.

We aren't doing anything on Saturday, primarily because I don't want to spend money.  I have a friend who wants to get together, and her sons play with my son, but inviting them over means serving food, and I don't have a complete meal, so I'm kinda on the fence.  Meeting elsewhere means spending even more money, so I am trying to avoid that entirely.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »
We aren't doing anything on Saturday, primarily because I don't want to spend money.  I have a friend who wants to get together, and her sons play with my son, but inviting them over means serving food, and I don't have a complete meal, so I'm kinda on the fence.  Meeting elsewhere means spending even more money, so I am trying to avoid that entirely.
Invite friends over; go buy some food is my take (you don't need to serve a whole meal!) - part of the goal of frugality for me is more time with friends and having MORE fun, and if I completely avoid hanging out because of a very small marginal cost, it does not serve that goal.

Can you go hang out at a 3rd space where you won't provide food? The library kid's area or a community center for example?

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2018, 10:01:32 AM »
Day 5:
Spend the planned 50 euros on home decor.

Groceries: 4 euro. Total: 19/250.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »
I bought some travel size peanut butter for carry on. DS will eat PB&J for airport meals on our upcoming trip. His favorite. No luck finding small jelly yet. We don't usually spring for convenience size but will do so to avoid paying for airport food. Our goal is no airport food spending.

You should be able to just fill a small container with jelly to carry on?  I have yet to have TSA object to my bringing on food items; I just add a little extra time for a bag search if I feel I'm pushing my luck with the items I'm bringing on.

Horse meds were delivered yesterday and I went online to register for the Mfr. rebate.  It looks like I'll get $70 instead of the $28 I was expecting, which takes the sting out of spending $30 for the overnight shipping.

$57 spent at the feed store today; read feed bag labels and checked prices while I'm there as I'm going to reconfigure the feeding program this month and will try to make sure it's as cost-effective as possible.  Also going to the indoor arena after work, so $3 fee + gas for the pig truck.

Started lentil and ham soup in the slow cooker before coming to work this morning.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2018, 11:38:16 AM »
Day 1: $10 for bowling (kids)
Day 2: $163 + $9 scheduled grocery run (should cover 14 days), plus windshield fluid (usually get that cheaper, but ran out on the highway in bad weather)
Day 3: 0
Day 4: $3.3 (needed more lunch meat and lettuce)
Day 5: $10 (breakfast meeting at a café with a colleague. Got three sandwiches at 50% since they were a day old - had enough for lunch too)

Got another paycheck today. After paying the phone bill and DH's copay from the doctor, DD decided to put the rest towards the mortgage. She says she is buying back our house from the bank, and will be calculating how many square meters she will be able to buy during her month as head of family finances.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2018, 12:06:39 PM »
DD decided to put the rest towards the mortgage. She says she is buying back our house from the bank, and will be calculating how many square meters she will be able to buy during her month as head of family finances.

That is awesome, what a smart kid you're raising!

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2018, 12:53:53 PM »
DD decided to put the rest towards the mortgage. She says she is buying back our house from the bank, and will be calculating how many square meters she will be able to buy during her month as head of family finances.

That is awesome, what a smart kid you're raising!

I don’t know. Tried to explain compound interest and the positive sides of index funds. But she is so risk averse she would rather pay down the loan that has 2.4% interest. Had expected her to split the money between different things. But I guess simple is better at 11 :)

Yes, she is a great kid.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »
I didn't grab take out!

I did grab prepared foods at the grocery store. I caved to the cold.

No spend: 3/5

Groceries: 179/300 (might as well see just how far we go off the rails)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »
I'm in for January 2018.

2017 was the most $$$ I have spent in one year in 15 years, it's all sorted out now, but I'm still left with an unexpected car payment, which throws a wrench into my major goal of $50K by the end of next year, 2019.

Main goals:
1. - 0 - credit card balances - every month in 2018
2. Save 100% of SS money each month - all of 2018
3. Don't buy anything - unless it is absolutely necessary or already planned.

See how comfortable my new budget is and re-evaluate both my new budget and my new goals for February.
I'm saving up for both a (long, expensive overseas) trip in Aug 2018 and the $50K goal - we'll see how it all shakes out when I'm three months in.
Maybe the best thing for me would be to just find a way to make $256.05 extra income each month, to offset the car pmt.

So my challenge really is - what can I do to bring in or save $256.05 a month in 2018?

First-week result

1. -0- credit card balance - failed - there will be a balance on one card this month $466 balance carry over - I could pay it off, but then I couldn't save up for my two main goals this year. So I'm sticking with my savings plan and biting the bullet on interest, might be zero?, not sure.
2. Save 100% of my SS money - yup, that is one of my big goals and it is happening:)

3. Don't buy anything unless necessary or already planned:
Planned purchase - printer $89 plus tax
Gasoline $27
Resisted going out to eat and going to Starbucks or the bookstore - Score.

No other purchases. I think my COLA might add up to $50 or so by the time they take out for increased insurance costs. Waiting for all payments to come through. I'll have final numbers by Feb 1.
I reworked the budget and I think it will all work out fine in the end.
Started a new journal to help me stay badass long enough to at least meet my two new goals.