Author Topic: Uber Frugal January  (Read 69774 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Uber Frugal January
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
It's that time of year again - time to challenge yourself to spend less and save more than an ordinary month.

Are you signing up for the FrugalWoods Uber Frugal Month Group Challenge? Are you setting a stricter than usual budget? Cutting out particular expenses altogether? Share with us! Let's cheer each other on!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Uber Frugal January
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »
Sign me up, although I still have to get the husband committed ;) But it'll be a good month to try- lots of medical expenses and a very restricted diet will mean a- no alcohol spending and b- motivation to cut back elsewhere and c- something else to keep my mind busy! And of course, post-Christmas spending!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
I think it is great to do the Frugalwoods challenge once to clean house a bit.

Other than that, I have found the monthly challenge threads to help keep me on track with the little things. Would folks be willing to combine for January, so that some are working through Frugalwoods while others are setting personal goals?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »

Other than that, I have found the monthly challenge threads to help keep me on track with the little things. Would folks be willing to combine for January, so that some are working through Frugalwoods while others are setting personal goals?

The point of this thread is to be whatever monthly challenge you want to set for yourself (doesn't have to be FrugalWoods) - sorry that wasn't clear enough in my introduction!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »

That's probably more where I will be too =) I'm sure my grocery budget will be bonkers, for instance, since so far I have been able to ascertain I can eat virtually nothing, and the antibiotics will make me want to eat nothing else either. I'm sure whatever I *do* manage to consume will be the most costly possible option, knowing Me. ;)

I need to think about my goals. Certainly would like to try for: zero alcohol spending, zero restaurant spending, zero clothes spending.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 06:55:35 PM »
Count me in too! 

First goal will be to stop spending on eating out on my own - this is mainly buying coffee + the odd scone.  Just want to look at my spending with a more critical eye.   

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 04:30:55 AM »
I’m in! We’re finally getting a handle on expenses in our new home so I’m excited to see how low we can get our spending. DH is on board, we just need to set specific goals.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 06:49:44 AM »
I also like to stay focussed on a monthly basis.

Goals for January:
1) Stay active. If possible, go cross country skiing. Or go hiking to work, winter not being an excuse.
2) Don't buy stuff at the cafeteria at work. This month I bought 3 things, one expensive cake thing, one lunch and one coffee bread. 3 unnecessary things too many.
3) Don't buy too many veggies in a row. Just eat up what you have before anything spoils. This usually goes well, but sometimes I loose focus and buy mindlessly.
4) Don't buy more stuff that I don't really need. This month I bought a couple of things (second hand) that I could have lived without.
5) I don't need new clothes.
6) Go to bed on time to be in better shape during the day. Not use half an hour extra on reading in bed.
7) Like December: no more drinking alcohol on normal weekdays, except for Friday. Also, max 1 bottle of wine per week (for the 2 of us).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:59:52 AM by Linda_Norway »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:07:04 AM »
I think I'm in!

2017 has been my spendiest year in quite a while.  I guess I felt like I had pretty much met my savings goals and then let the purse strings loosen...the results were a bit...interesting!  :/

This month, it looks like my grocery bill will be much smaller than the average from Jan - Nov, and I'm really stoked about that.  I would like to also keep it down in January.

And basically not spend any other money on extra crap that I don't need.

And minimize the clown car driving...

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 07:13:13 AM »
Too late...  already planned a cruise for January that was planned in August.  Haha maybe I will try my Uber Frugal Feb.

westtoeast

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 02:45:49 PM »
Oh good, I'm glad this thread has already been created. I'm coming off the least MMM couple of months I've had since discovering the forum. Yikes. January will be a month of redemption. My big goal is just to stick to the new 2018 budget I put in place. I did also sign up for the Frugalwoods challenge again-- I've done it twice already, so I may not read everything but those little emails each morning will be a good reminder for me.

I'm going to post my budget (minus rent and student loans) for accountability.

Transportation (Bus, Train, Uber) < $100
Phone Bill < $30 (fixed)
Groceries < $250
Medical < $40 (fixed)
Fitness < $50 (Gah! I haven't paid for fitness in years. But I really need a once a week class to motivate me right now. I'm choosing to consciously spend this money for my health.)
Misc Expenses < $200 (this includes any personal care, household, or entertainment expenses-- the lower the better here)
Clothing = $0
Eating Out = $0

TOTAL SPENDING GOAL: $675

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »
January is typically a pretty good month for us, as we're coming off of that New Year's high, where my motivation is usually at its peak. :-)

Still working on our January goals, but here's what I'm thinking:
-No eating out (minus a planned work trip, but all of those meals will be expensed)
-Lose 3 pounds
-Run 40 miles
-Max out our 401Ks (mostly generated by our yearly bonuses)
-Stick to the budget in all categories

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »
I am going to try this get the grocery spend down to $300 for January, including the restock when we get home on Dec 28.

I am also going to set a goal to exercise 15 days. Every time I try to do every day, I end up hurting my back.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 08:49:25 AM »
I'm in...but only for the specific goals. I didn't find Frugalwoods super applicable to my current situation but it would've been awesome a few years ago.

We have a big trip in January so I want to focus on how we can have the most fun without overspending. Plus traveling with my celiac kid can get stressful. Preplanning is a must or mom gets horribly anxious!

Initial thoughts on goals for January
1. Keep trip food budget close to normal grocery budget. We have microwave, refrigerator, cooking facilities at both stops so I'm planning on mostly buying food at grocery stores and cooking. We have two dinners and one breakfast out planned. DH and I will probably eat lunches out for 5 other days. I guess I need to start investigating how we can do this without decimating our budget and expanding our waistlines. Time to get creative.
2. Maintain exercise schedule. Pretty much a must do because I have a 7k trail race scheduled for the end of the month.
3. Keep up with the housework, laundry etc. so it doesn't get out of hand.
4. Limit activities to free or those covered by the local pass we plan to get. All of the attractions we want to visit are covered. I'm still debating the value of the pass because it depends on what we go to. I need to look it back over with DH before we commit.

I am going to try this get the grocery spend down to $300 for January, including the restock when we get home on Dec 28.

I am also going to set a goal to exercise 15 days. Every time I try to do every day, I end up hurting my back.
Definitely allow yourself rest days if this is happening. Your body needs time to repair and strengthen muscles between exercise sessions.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 09:04:04 AM »

I am also going to set a goal to exercise 15 days. Every time I try to do every day, I end up hurting my back
Definitely allow yourself rest days if this is happening. Your body needs time to repair and strengthen muscles between exercise sessions.

I have a degenerative disc. In November I was trying to work.up to long walks every day, with a couple of five mile walks. I still have hopes that I can get there if I work towards it more slowly.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »
I'm in. I've been having my most frugal months lately and want to carry it forward into 2018. Most of my budget categories are fixed amounts that are fairly low. My goal for Jan is to set and keep the variable categories low as well;

Groceries = $200
Dining Out = $100
Entertainment = $50
Clothes = $0 (modified after joining the No Clothes Shopping Challenge)
Personal & Household items = $10
Misc = $75

The misc category is my most challenging. I'm sure I can lower Dining out more but currently my average is $200 so halving it I think is a good starting point.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:10:36 PM by haypug16 »

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »
I've signed up for the Frugalwoods challenge, but I'll definitely set some specific goals. 

1) Reduce alcohol spending from $50/mo - husband is trying to eliminate his drinking at home, and I'd rather have cake anyhow.
2) Meal plan for the whole month to eliminate last-minute grocery spending and pizza purchases.
2.5) Make sure there are delicious leftovers for husband to have lunches every day, so he doesn't "have" to go out and get food.
3) Stop buying worthless snacks at the grocery store - no more random Talenti pints, or single-wrapped pieces of cornbread, or energy bars that look tasty.  Hopefully this will also lead to better health overall.
4) Don't spend any of my spontaneous money in January - I have more than enough books and clothes and shoes.
5) Sell at least 1 thing on Craigslist or to a pawn shop.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
I think I'll join in. My husband and I have been spending more than I think we ought to be, and I could use some accountability. I don't think I want to set goals, but I want to list out every expense on a daily basis so I can look at them with a critical eye and ask myself if we really wanted to spend that money. I think it's too easy for us to convince ourselves in the moment that we need something, and that might be why our spending is high. We could probably opt for cheaper alternatives on some things, as well.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »
I'm in for January 2018.

2017 was the most $$$ I have spent in one year in 15 years, it's all sorted out now, but I'm still left with an unexpected car payment, which throws a wrench into my major goal of $50K by the end of next year, 2019.

Main goals:
1. - 0 - credit card balances - every month in 2018
2. Save 100% of SS money each month - all of 2018
3. Don't buy anything - unless it is absolutely necessary or already planned.

See how comfortable my new budget is and re-evaluate both my new budget and my new goals for February.
I'm saving up for both a (long, expensive overseas) trip in Aug 2018 and the $50K goal - we'll see how it all shakes out when I'm three months in.
Maybe the best thing for me would be to just find a way to make $256.05 extra income each month, to offset the car pmt.

So my challenge really is - what can I do to bring in or save $256.05 a month in 2018?

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 05:26:40 PM »
I already signed up for the Frugalwoods challenge, but since I don't do Facebook anymore it is helpful to have a place for accountability and camaraderie on this forum! :)

We do have a trip planned for January, four days for our anniversary and to check out a possible grad school option for myself. Flights and the air bnb are already paid for, and we have a budget set for meals, etc. We probably won't fiddle with that too much, other than to try and optimize what spending we do and challenge ourselves to come in under budget. Other than that, though, the mantra for January is SAVE, SAVE, SAVE!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 09:12:06 AM »
I’m in! I’ll see if I can get Spendypants SO on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 11:39:59 AM »
I already signed up for the Frugalwoods, so this will be great!  I don't want to ask the husband to get on board with this until I've set an example, so this will only be about my personal spending and grocery budget, and as much as I can influence regarding our family budget (activities with kids, etc.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 11:44:19 AM »
I already signed up for the Frugalwoods, so this will be great!  I don't want to ask the husband to get on board with this until I've set an example, so this will only be about my personal spending and grocery budget, and as much as I can influence regarding our family budget (activities with kids, etc.)

Personally, I think that's fantastic and wish more people would do the same. Lead by example, and let your spouse come to you, once they've seen your own work and positive changes. =) Honestly, all finances come down to "what's in our sphere of control", I think too many people just assume their spouse should be in that sphere!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »

Personally, I think that's fantastic and wish more people would do the same. Lead by example, and let your spouse come to you, once they've seen your own work and positive changes. =) Honestly, all finances come down to "what's in our sphere of control", I think too many people just assume their spouse should be in that sphere!

+1.  I signed up too with Frugalwoods.   

Completely agree on setting an example for spouses rather than naggin.   When I signed on here, there was a lot I could do by myself:  stop buying coffee out every morning, stop unnecessary spending on stuff etc.   It took maybe a year or so of this and then my husband paid off his car + his credit card debt.  Now, he also saves a third of his income like I do.  It can happen!!!!

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »
I am in. Next year is going to be an expensive year.

January is extra tricky, as it is school holidays and back to school time around here. Plus we have a kids' bday party to organize. 2 bdays to attend. Maybe plane tickets to buy for mid year if I find a good deal.

I will concentrate on keeping the groceries down and low cost kids' entertainment options. Luckily I already bought most of the back to school stuff, so realistically, all I have to buy them is a pair of school shoes each.

The most expensive part will be vacation care for 2 kids at 85$ EACH a day. I hate that part.

akzidenz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 06:26:01 PM »
I'm in. I generally want to be quite frugal (minimize eating out, walk the literal extra mile to Trader Joe's instead of Whole Foods, save 50%+ of my income). But the two thematic goals I have are:
  • No buying new things. This obviously doesn't count groceries and household goods like dish soap. But I want to hold off on all purchases like furniture, clothes, gadgets…I want 2018 to be a year where I tread more lightly on the environment, and forcing myself to wait on all purchases will (hopefully!) get me to think more critically about whether I truly need something, and whether that need justifies the expense and environmental impact.
  • Entertain myself through creation, not consumption. Instead of buying things, I want to make things. This could mean: writing more, doing calligraphy, drawing. I like thinking of myself as a creative person, but that identity has been weakened in the past few years by relying on material satisfaction instead of artistic or intellectual satisfaction. I want to push back against this worrisome trend and be productively engaged in doing.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »
I'm in. We are finally settling in to our new budget after moving in Nov. My goals are:

1. Meal plan, clean out pantry and freezer and no eating out.
2. Minimize clothing and household expenses. (With the exception of taking things to be altered.)
3. Start listing things for sale. I have several big boxes that really need to go.
4. Exercise everyday, in some manner. Running, hiking and yoga are my favorites.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
  • Spend less. Live more. SWAMI.
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »
Beginning with my first paycheck of 2018, I'm maxing out my 401k. I'm extremely excited, but also pretty nervous. It's going to decrease my take-home pay by over $500 a month.

I'll still have plenty of money for bills and groceries, but I'll have to monitor my savings and keep enough cash around for the 1st of the month bills. I think I can do it though, I'm very optimistic about this. I know it doesn't sound like much but I'm going from saving 5k a year in the 401k to 18k (roughly). That doesn't include employer match and whatnot, but it still just feels like it's not enough and retirement is so far away.

Anyways... That's my Uber Frugal January: putting more into the pre-tax account. Hopefully that'll be my Uber Frugal 2018 ;)

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 11:51:55 AM »
Yeah, I needed to hear this...

I'm going to try to limit telling my spouse just once that if we're careful this month we can pay off our roof loan. Then I'll post a chart with our spending on the fridge as a silent reminder.

Goal: pay off remaining $1436 roof loan
Method: eat through the pantry and the emergency food (that stuff should get rotated out every once in a while anyway), cancel entertainment subscriptions, no visits to my favorite thrift store, no home improvements we don't already have supplies for, no eating out

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2017, 08:14:12 AM »
I noticed I'm already playing games with myself to keep January frugal:

"Self, you should stock up on those sweet potatoes and broccoli that are on sale before the first of the year so you don't have to spend money on that in January."

"Self, maybe you should try to make plans with that friend on December 30 so you don't spend that money in January."

I mean, I would spend the money either way, but it's artificial January savings, right?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 08:18:55 AM »

"Self, you should stock up on those sweet potatoes and broccoli that are on sale before the first of the year so you don't have to spend money on that in January."

"Self, maybe you should try to make plans with that friend on December 30 so you don't spend that money in January."

I mean, I would spend the money either way, but it's artificial January savings, right?

Definitely an urge I have to fight. People do this all the time with dieting. ("I just have to eat all this junk from my house first! I can't waste it!"). Definitely a tricky one to avoid! I usually let myself "get away" with a small one, like the sweet potatoes, so I have the willpower to say no to the 'plans with friends' ones. =) I'd be interested to know if anyone else has a way around this!

(I'll admit though, that's part of why I love doing this January- last year I had social fatigue and tons of leftover food and booze from the holidays, so it worked well to be a budget "win" month. By doing a challenge at the same time, I felt like it was under my control, not inevitable anyway, haha).

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2017, 09:26:41 AM »
I am in for January.  I need to define my "frugal."  However, I need to reign it in some and be mindful and January will be a good time to start. 

I have never followed a budget and am considering doing so this year.  I am curious what everything adds up to be at the end of the year.  I created one at the beginning of 2017 but I am bad at keeping diligent with the upkeep.

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
The sweet potatoes are 18 cents a pound.  They are never that cheap!  For the friends thing, I will have to be creative as far as planning activities that aren't dinner/drinks.  That is a go-to, especially after work.  I've already decided no "purchases" until at least winter is over, so socializing will be my biggest hurdle.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »

Last year, when I decided that I was going to make some specific no-spend resolutions for the year I avoided the "stocking up in advance" temptation by starting with immediate effect even though it was only the somethingteenth of December. This also kept me away from the post-Christmas sales.

I'm going to try to tighten up our spending in January, but that's with a view to keeping it tightened up at least until the middle of the year so that I can maximise my tax-advantaged savings in what I intend to be my last part-year in my job.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2017, 10:25:14 AM »
I'm in!

I'm already pretty frugal, but here are some areas where frugality can factor in next month:
  • No restaurants (average $20 per month)
  • No coffee out (average $12.35 month)
  • No clothing spend
  • Tracking "treats" and "coffee/tea" separately in grocery budget, in order to see just how many treats I'm hiding in the grocery budget  - average grocery spend it $151 per month

Things that won't be frugal
  • If I manage to make myself go do it, I have $50 budgeted for makeup so that I finally learn how to do makeup (professional necessity). I hate it so much, this may not happen in Jan, anyway.
  • I may buy tickets to Jordan for a wedding in March - travel hacking, but I'll still be paying taxes & fuel surcharges

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2017, 01:07:02 PM »
I'm in, with the exception of a planned and budgeted car maintenance (new tires, brakes, synthetic oil change). Which I am way overdue for. 

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
I love these, especially just to eat down my pantry

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
DD11 is getting the reigns for January, within some thresholds;
-all bills are automated, or entered into the online bank under supervision
-we will do two major grocery runs, paid by me. But she has to write the shopping lists.
-she has control over all the cash we had in the house, a total of around $500. That has to cover the rest of the food, eating out, clothes, etc. In short; everything we would go to the shop and/or pay by card for. It also includes online shopping.  If there is anything left at the end of the month, she can keep it.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »
My January budget is as follows:
All bills: 1310.4
Groceries: 180
Other: 100 (2 birthday gifts, baby gift, a little surprise for my mom and a medical bill)
Total: 1590.4

Income for January is 3210 so if I do this, I have a savings rate over 50%!

AmandaPanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2017, 09:35:03 AM »
I know it's not January yet, but the sweet potatoes were not purchased, and I did not make plans with a friend for December 30. Instead, people are coming over the first Friday in January to eat some food I already have in my freezer.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
I'd love to do this, but I am going to New York in January - oops!

I am doing dry Jan though - no drinking of alcoholic drinks. I will still try to be uber frugal in Jan

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »
I’m in! No specific dollar amounts, just a cutting back of spending.

My pantry and freezer are bursting so most of my savings will come from spending little in the grocery stores. I’m not quite used to just cooking for DH and I. Our teenaged boys apparently ate a lot of food. Now that they are off to college I should be cutting back grocery spending a bunch.

I don’t need to buy any clothes in January. I’m trying to drop weight anyway.

I have lots of crafty project to fill time and more than enough supplies. Early start to homemade projects for Christmas 2018!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 04:50:18 PM »
So looking forward to this. Going to try out YNAB for January.

Rules for myself:
-No alcohol spending
-Groceries under <specific $>
-No clothes, unless an item wears out
-Eat down the freezer and pantry

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2017, 10:07:50 PM »
Grocery shopping involved three stores lately. DH must have eggs and I can't bring myself to spend full price knowing that there are cheap eggs at Aldi's. Today, I sent him out for his own eggs.

Yes, I realize it isn't January yet, but we just got back from visiting the relatives and needed to restock.

Grocery Spend: 69/300

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
I'm in.  I have a lot of meat in the freezer so grocery shopping will only be fresh veggies and maybe a snack or two.  No spending other than groceries (and a trip to the hairdresser - I'm very overdue but have a gift card which will cover everything except the tip).  It will also be a no alcohol month.  AND I want to lose 6 pounds.  It will all be a challenge!

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2017, 03:42:13 PM »
I know it's not January yet, but we have an epic snow/ice storm happening so I got out this morning to do our big monthly grocery shop. I did very well.

Thus far, we are at $154/$400 January grocery budget.

CodingHare

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »
My January goals (Not financial):

- Drink alcohol only on special occasions (IE my birthday.)  Should help both with health and with budget!
- Instead, drink my 64oz of water a day.  I've already increased to about 48oz a day, so I just need to refill my water bottle one more time per day.
- Meal prep breakfast and lunch to save $$ and feel better.  Overnight oats and the Instant Pot we got for Christmas should help here!
- 5K training.  I have a 5k in March, so January and February are my training months!  I've run 5ks before, so this is a relatively easy goal.
- Finish my existing hobby projects before buying any new ones.  No hobby spend in January unless I somehow plow through my backlog or the item is absolutely needed to finish a project (IE, quilt batting).
- Remember that 50% improvement is still improvement, so not to treat myself too harshly if I fall short of perfection on my goals.

Financial Goals (Year long):
- Maintain maxing of 401k and HSA
- Max ROTH IRA this year

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »
Following for inspiration but not sure what my goals are going to be this time. Last year the UFJ was my lowest spending month ever!

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2017, 10:42:05 PM »
I’m in.

We are finally set up with most appliances and basic household things so no more excuses. Our loose goals are:
x stop buying lunch so often (Mr Pancakes hasn’t taken lunch to his new job once yet but we had no fridge at home until very recently...)
x stop drinking so much during the week.
x don’t buy so much coffee (yay freebie coffee machine!)
x get back into cloth nappies

And overarching all of those is trying to reduce our waste.

This will be our first ‘typical month’ on this income. I hope we will add at least $2000 in savings at the end of the month.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2017, 11:38:25 PM »
I'm signed up for the Frugalwoods Challenge - following along here for accountability.

I don't have any specific goals, but figure this is a good opportunity to reevaluate my budget and make sure that my spending is aligning with my goals and I'm being efficient and effective with how I spend my money.