Author Topic: Uber Frugal January  (Read 4168 times)

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Uber Frugal January
« on: January 01, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »
Happy 2019! Anyone doing Uber Frugal January? I didn't see a thread.

I'm thinking of doing no non-consumable purchases and no coffees out.  Exceptions will be kids' clothes because my children are growing faster than strange interesting plants. Goal of 20 no-spend days. Today will be the first.

NB: Please no Frugalwoods bashing in this thread. If you want to discuss how they present themselves, I think there's still one unlocked thread for that.

clarkai

• Stubble
Re: Uber Frugal January
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 09:37:12 AM »
I'm in! Our spending really increased over the holiday season. So for this month: no eating out,  buy ingredients instead of prepared foods, and no out of town trips.

Distant dreamer

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »
I’m in too. I want to buy a couple of bits in the sales so it’s not going to be a no spend month but rather a double check to make sure we are doing all we can.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 10:02:51 AM »
Welcome, welcome!

I love this description because I think it's what the challenge is all about: your goals.

I’m in too. I want to buy a couple of bits in the sales so it’s not going to be a no spend month but rather a double check to make sure we are doing all we can.

And some great ideas here. You also reminded me that I am likely going on a short out-of-town trip, so I will economize it, but it's something I value it, so I will do it.

I'm in! Our spending really increased over the holiday season. So for this month: no eating out,  buy ingredients instead of prepared foods, and no out of town trips.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
Count me in. Starting February 1st, we'll be squeezed between two mortgage payments on a single income until we move into our new house and rent out our current one. Making the two mortgage payments is do-able, but what's left will leave the household coffers really bare. I'd like to use January as a trial run and save up as much cash to use for closing as we can. We weren't expecting to buy so we're pulling from our taxable investment account for the down payment, and the down market is killing it! Plus the house is a really big fixer-upper project, and there is some stuff that needs to be finished before we can move in, like some of the asbestos remediation, and that is also requiring a lot of cash.

So I'll be watching groceries and gas consumption like a hawk, making sure I use our cloth diapers instead of the disposables, resisting all unnecessary shopping, and finding and planning free or really cheap outings for the kids. I'm a SAHP to a 3 year old and 3 month old. Let the frugal games begin!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 10:31:03 AM »
Sounds like a great plan, @starbuck ! I'm home with a 3-year-old and an 8-month-old, so also doing frugal activities. Do share what you end up doing. We're big on the library (our local one has some pretty cool programs), little hikes, and a local children's museum (annual pass purchased in October).

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »
Welcome, welcome!

I love this description because I think it's what the challenge is all about: your goals.

And some great ideas here. You also reminded me that I am likely going on a short out-of-town trip, so I will economize it, but it's something I value it, so I will do it.

Good point re: travel. I'll amend it to: no leaving town except to visit loved ones, and even then, still no eating out.

hal

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 01:04:22 PM »
I’m in. My main goal is to simply stick to the actual budget that I have set up on YNAB rather than reconciling later and moving money around to cover overspending. The big areas that I want to be frugal is in not eating out at all, eating less meat than usual (once weekly) or no meat at all, and in having no unplanned/impulse purchases. My partner and I are saving for a wedding in June, so this frugality will hopefully help a lot!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 01:28:40 PM »
I'm in. The plan is to:

1. Use up all the extra baking goods that I didn't use up in December. Definitely not a hardship:), the baking supplies (chocolate chip et al)
 must be destroyed:)
2. Find a cheap source for small bags to use with the food saver machine I picked up for $26 at Aldi and use up the starter roll that came with it.
3. This should help out the kid (so he has some home-cooked meals while on the road - he's a truck driver) and us, since I'm not crazy about eating the same food three days in a row if I can help it. Besides, I have days when I'm not feeling well and a ready dinner will save on take-out/pizza delivery).

4. AARP has a deal - 25% off the price of an online safe driver course to knock off 10% off your car insurance premium for several years.
 Deal ends Jan 7, 2019. I procrastinated on taking the course last year, so now at least I get a few bucks off.

5. Renewing maturing $3K CD @ 3.50% APY in the next two weeks. Last year it was only 3% interest. I'll do one last sweep online before I renew just in case I can find a better CD offer.

Those are all easy enough goals except for the SD course which will require a bit of time. I'm still working on cutting the cable, might try for a bank bonus this month ...

6. Canceling Amazon prime - so that's about $110 savings for this year.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 09:15:34 AM »
I’m in!

I’m focusing on reducing discretionary income. Shopping, groceries, dining out. The usual things that creep up when I’m not looking!

I also think there’s an opportunity to sell a bunch of stuff on Craigslist.

Great thread for starting the year off on a good foot!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 11:41:55 AM »
I am in! There are some known purchases that will occur in January, but my goal is to substantially reduce eating out/food budget (so out of control the past few months) and no unplanned spending.

Known spending that will occur in January that deviates from this:
-plane ticket for my son's trip in March to his future college for a scheduled visit
-hotel for son's rugby tournament in Vegas in February (looking at points/sale options now, opened a new card and will use for minimum spend)
-electric kettle (belated gift for husband for Christmas; he finally selected it last night but I haven't purchased yet)
-18th birthday/9th birthday combo meal for my two boys, will be this Sunday. They requested Fogo de Chao, doing brunch instead of dinner to save $$$
-still need to buy a birthday gift each for the boys whose birthdays are in January. Was waiting until after Christmas to see what they still want/need
-gift for niece's bridal shower (Jan 12, yikes, guess I need to figure that out)

Otherwise, we will only buy gas, groceries, replace any consumables/household supplies if we are on the last one and getting low (soap, etc). 

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 01:43:04 PM »
First frugal win of the month - Christmas ornament storage! At the start of December, I anticipated finally springing for a dedicated ornament storage container instead of dealing with dozen boxes of different ornaments every year. Instead of paying for some piece of plastic junk, I repurposed some disposable plastic containers and boxes to store everything much more compactly. Didn't spend a dime and kept some junk out of the landfill.

Yesterday was a day of yard work and putting the house back together post-holiday season. Still haven't spent any money this month, but the fridge is looking bare. Time to look at the grocery circular and write a meal plan. I stuck with my cloth diaper resolution today (only using disposables at night) and it was just as annoying as I thought it would be. Ah well, it will be really great if we don't have to buy any more diapers (or pull-ups!) before we move.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 02:41:06 PM »
Nice, starbuck! I love repurposing. And, welcome @FireHiker , @Tuskalusa , @hal , and @Rosy . Some great ideas here!

BTW, if anyone is interested in signing up for the actual FW challenge the link is here: https://www.frugalwoods.com/2019/01/01/join-the-2019-uber-frugal-month-group-challenge-today/. The emails are motivating.

Yesterday, we did a family hike, undecorated the tree, and got the house cleaned up. This morning I took the kids to the children's museum, and I think we'll be in for the rest of the day.
(non-bills) $ spent in 2019 so far: $0.
No-spend days: 2/20

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »
I've signed up every year it's been offered and always learn something new.

I'm currently working on house projects - fixing bathroom floor/wall/fixtures and basement appliances. Trying to be super frugal was extremely stressful and led to money anxiety and procrastination; so I'm waiting until the big work is done to focus on the challenge. Mostly due to ordering pizza for my young adult kiddos home on break.

So for now I'm posting to read along for inspiration but I'll be doing the challenge after this week!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 09:22:29 PM »
Smart move, katscratch! Good luck with the projects. I'm sure the pizza was appreciated by all. :)

appleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 10:30:25 PM »
I'm in, too! We had a spendy December (mostly expected but higher than usual), and I need to budget for contributions to our HSA (new this year).

We were traveling home on the 1st, so spent more than usual on food/gas but planning on a regular grocery trip on Monday with a meal plan that I hope can get us through the rest of the month (I'll get eggs and produce again later in the month). Otherwise we're going to use what we have in the freezer and pantry. I spent $15.60 on milk, eggs, bananas, clementines, bread (discount overflow from holiday!), yogurt, and baby carrots today.  Smallest grocery trip I've done in ages!

I'm making a vegan lentil dish from budget bytes in the Crock-Pot tomorrow.

I do feel like I bent the rules because my dad offered to buy my oldest winter boots and get me a new shirt, so I took him up on it, but I'll use what we have and make him some cookies or something as a thank you.

Good luck to everyone!

hal

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »
So far so good. Yesterday we spent some time clearing out clutter in the house, which felt good and helped me appreciate the things which I already have and which spark joy for me. I also made my first recipe with the Instant Pot that I received for Christmas. It was a great success (Mushroom stroganoff) and pretty cheap, too! One of my big spends areas pre-MMM was in eating out and convenience foods, so I have to constantly strive to eat at home, save money, etc.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 09:23:00 AM »
I’m gonna take a Page from Starbuck’s book today. We have a ton of Xmas lights, and not enough storage. I’m going to go through our plastic boxes and see what I can repurpose!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 10:24:50 AM »

I do feel like I bent the rules because my dad offered to buy my oldest winter boots and get me a new shirt, so I took him up on it, but I'll use what we have and make him some cookies or something as a thank you.
Welcome! There are no rules here, but I get what you mean. My mom got my son music classes for the next 10 weeks, and it feels a bit like cheating, activity wise.

But I think there's a pretty substantial difference in mindset between buying something for yourself and accepting a gift. Rushing out to buy something to satisfy an immediate desire keeps you in the problem-solving-by-buying mindset. Gifts, on the other hand, are not guaranteed and you know you would've been fine without them.

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 11:02:16 AM »
I am in. Set up automatic savings transfers every week. Tbh I am feeling a slight twinge of anxiety doing this, but I think it will be very beneficial for me. Wishing everyone luck and look forward to hearing how it is going.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 11:05:34 AM »
I am in. Set up automatic savings transfers every week. Tbh I am feeling a slight twinge of anxiety doing this, but I think it will be very beneficial for me. Wishing everyone luck and look forward to hearing how it is going.
You've got this! Great job paying yourself first.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »
I'm in! My goals are :

1. Cut the eating out and grocery budgets. I also need to work on eating up leftover s and cleaning out the freezer a bit.
2. Use cloth diapers except for nighttime
3. No household or kids spending. I did a big cleanout of the bathrooms and closets over the holidays, so now I KNOW we won't run out of tp or toothpaste.
4. List at least 10 things on Craigslist or fb to sell. I have more, but ten seems both reasonable motivating.
5. Set withholdings to max HSA and 401k for the year. - both done in time to hit the first paycheck of the year
6. Use Christmas gift cards to buy cabinets o for our small basement canning kitchen. Thank you ILs!!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 01:22:02 PM »
I'm in! My goals are :

1. Cut the eating out and grocery budgets. I also need to work on eating up leftover s and cleaning out the freezer a bit.
3. No household or kids spending. I did a big cleanout of the bathrooms and closets over the holidays, so now I KNOW we won't run out of tp or toothpaste.
4. List at least 10 things on Craigslist or fb to sell. I have more, but ten seems both reasonable motivating.
5. Set withholdings to max HSA and 401k for the year. - both done in time to hit the first paycheck of the year
6. Use Christmas gift cards to buy cabinets o for our small basement canning kitchen. Thank you ILs!!
Great goals! Love #4: the other side of the frugality coin.

hal

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 04:18:46 PM »
I'm in! My goals are :

I also like your #4. I need to be better about this. I have been decluttering for what seems like forever, and there are some things that I don't want to donate or trash, preferring instead to sell them online. But then I don't end up selling them, and they are still taking up space.

Today was good... went to the library to treat some cabin fever (for free) and get some work done before I have to go back to work next week. I did "splurge' on a coffee from the library's coffee shop, but it is within my allocated "pocket money" for the month, so it is ok and aligned to my goals of sticking to my budget. The bigger deal, for me, was that I logged the transaction immediately in YNAB -- a habit that I am trying to cement.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 01:01:23 PM »
Well, it's the fourth of Jan and all expenditures so far were medical related.
It helped that I still had a credit at the clinic and that somehow Walgreens made a mistake and charged me $158 for a medication that my son picked up for me in Dec.

1. I paid Walgreen's a visit and they credited me back $148, my co-pay was only ten bucks. Glad I paid attention and sorted it all out even though I haven't been feeling on top of the world.

2. I'll look for a couple of grocery coupons online later today, usually nets us about $6 total, two to four times a month - $15-$35 total a month is well worth the three to five minutes spent online (for egg, coffee, cheese, paper towels, TP...).

3. Bonus $250. (bank bonus applied for in October) just showed up in my account.:)

Spent $32 plus $1.54 plus $10 plus $40 so far. All medical.
Kid filled up my car as a thank you for using it.
Mr. R. bought me the BP monitor the doctor told me to get, as a Xmas gift. (We have separate finances).
Forgot I also spent $12.50 and $5 at the Walgreen's Christmas markdown - for two Jan birthday gifts coming up. Half price - good deal:) Nail polish collection and a really nice set of lotions etc.

So far so good - I'm ahead for the month for now.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 03:13:57 PM »
Still at $0 spent this year (though we'll need to buy milk at least this weekend) and 4 no-spend days. I also finally joined a buy-nothing group in my new location, so hopefully that will be helpful, especially for kid clothes (we don't need much else).

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
Went to Aldi for the first time today! There are no convenient locations, but there is one down the street from the children's museum (about a 25 min drive), so we put our annual pass to use today and stopped at Aldi beforehand. Tried to resist the urge to stock up since one of my goals is to also eat down the pantry over the next few months so there's less to move. But I was able to grab a lot of perishable items that we use regularly at great (almost unbelieveable!) prices. I thought the price of the bag of apples was $1.49/lb, but nope, it was just $1.49 for all 3 pounds. Time will tell if I'm happy with the quality. The grapes I bought (which were the most expensive item) tasted terrible, but the toddler ate them up and asked for more, so I guess it's not a total loss!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 07:04:12 PM »
Aside from my fixed expenses (Rent, Health Insurance, Medical bill payment)

My goals are:

Groceries- $200.00
Gas- $80.00
Personal Care- $40.00
Misc Extra (includes household stuff)- $100.00

no eating out or alcohol out. Most months I give myself a $20 budget for those two things combined, but this is Uber Frugal month! For me that means cutting out all unnecessary expenses. The one big expense I will have this month is getting new brake pads/rotors in my car, which will be about $300.00. I am dog sitting to cover the cost so I do not take it out of my regular paycheck.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2019, 12:43:46 PM »
Broke my no-spend streak today. I should be able to get another streak going starting tomorrow.

Spending so far this year:
Groceries: $3.96
Kids' clothes: $39.42 (higher than I wanted to spend. It did include needed new shoes for my older son, but I'm face-punching myself a bit)
Total: $43.38

No-spend days: 5/20

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2019, 03:24:32 PM »
I had plans for taking the baby to Walgreens to get her passport photos done this morning, and then realized that we could fairly easily take them at home if we do a bit of research on the State Dept requirements. Boom, $15 saved. No avoiding the passport application fees unfortunately.

In an effort to stave off any food waste, spent the afternoon cooking up some vegetables to turn into meals for the next few days. I think I'll also make a baked oatmeal dish so I've got something easy and healthy to eat in the mornings.

Still have $832.54 to get us through the rest of the month!

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2019, 08:18:05 PM »
Got my meals packed for tomorrow.

In an attempt to eat down the freezer I cooked a frozen truffle-cheese-mushroom flatbread I'd gotten for my son (who loves truffles). I detest truffles. What the heck was I thinking! :) It did have me researching why people have such strong reactions to them, though, so at least I got some entertaining facts out of the lunch-gone-awry.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2019, 08:47:58 PM »
My goal for January is eating at home for all meals but one (that one is a pre-commitment to an annual group dinner out). My secondary goal is to continue to eat down the freezer and pantry.

Can I get through January without grocery shopping? There’s a lot of food in this house so it should be doable, though boredom with pantry meals is a risk. Hopefully the challenge aspect will keep me going.

cripes7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2019, 09:46:53 PM »
I'm jumping on as well. We should have plenty of groceries until the end of the month, bought the birthday gifts for the month, and trying to stick to only eating out cheaply at the 2 events we have this month. Eating out and buying stuff for grandkids is my money suck. I'm trying for uber frugal February as well.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 09:50:39 AM »
Doing well with our goals. We did have our splurge meal for the boys' birthdays yesterday, but it was a Sunday so we parked for free downtown (yay free meters on Sundays) and we saved $56 by going to brunch instead of dinner. We also only drank water and didn't add anything else to the meal (free birthday desserts, bonus). I also handled a couple of the other known exceptions: Bought husband's belated Christmas electric kettle but he found one for $40 that has the exact settings he wanted instead of the $100 I had been considering for his gift. I also booked my son's flight for March using points, and he said to book the cheapest flight even though it had two layovers on the way home.

We still have the following known expenses to handle this month:
- one birthday present for my almost 9 year old that I still need to purchase (birthday mid-month)
- hotel in February for Vegas rugby tournament, although we did just open a new Hilton card so the booking will go towards minimum spend
- gift for niece's bridal shower this Saturday...no idea, need to figure that out

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 05:45:33 PM »
So far everything has been going to plan. Had a slight moment of panic with a water heater fuse and that drove home why I am doing this. 2019 is the year I am devoting to saving more (already invest 15% in retirement, not a lot for here, but I have to start somewhere). One goal for the month is to not get takeout at work.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 07:01:02 AM »
Alright, I've fallen in love with Aldi. The quality has been great on most things. Time to figure out how to work it into our routine regularly as it's a 30 minute drive. If the coffee they sell is decent, it might get me to skip our Costco membership for a year. Blasphemy!

Not shopping is surprisingly easy when you would need to take two children with you, AND move it to a new house in two months. I found a few really good gift card deals that will come in handy in the next few months once our cash flow is squeezed between the two mortgages. But outside of groceries and one gas tank fill up, we've barely spent anything. Spouse floated the idea of picking up a pizza last night, but we held strong and pieced together a dinner at home instead.

Still have $660 to get us through the rest of the month. At the beginning of January, one of my goals was to reduce the amount we'd have to sell from our investment account for closing on the 31st. But my spouse is actually an 'essential' federal employee and so has already missed one paycheck and maybe the next one too. So it looks like we'll have to sell off just as much as originally planned from our portfolio. Damnit.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »
I'm in but surprisingly while the last 3 months of 2018 I beat my budget pretty much , This month I am shooting to break even or I'll take a 100$ beat. Getting hammered.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 11:44:40 AM »
Checking in, we're doing great this month! We have historically been terrible about groceries and eating out, and are crushing it this month (for us). We've spent $388.93 so far on groceries and eating out combined, and have only eaten out 3 times, 2 of which were very cheap and the third was a good meal out with kids during the winter break at our favorite Thai place where my pickiest child eats with reckless abandon (he's a strange one). I didn't include the meal out for my boys' birthdays in that number because it's recorded as "birthday/holiday" in my tracking, but I've been trying really hard to still come in under our general food target even with that giant expense. Since my 9 year old said he didn't want a party, it works out. Our car insurance hit this month (ugh, I didn't forget, but it's painful). The every 6 months with an 18 year old male driver included is a big hit, but we're still well under our usual spending even with that expense factored in.

@starbuck  I'm sorry to hear about your spouse's paycheck woe. Thank goodness you guys are in a responsible position to make it through, and as an "essential" employee I hope you'll still see those paychecks eventually.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2019, 04:29:29 PM »
January is shaping up nicely on the money front, but medically speaking it is a disaster. There is some serious spending ahead of us for Mr. R. and my son, most likely all of it in February.
I've been lucky with my insurance all my tests and procedures and even the Acupuncture fees and treatment have been fully covered.

Checking in: Success - renewed the smallest CD. The $3K CD at 3.50 APY - just as I hoped to be able to do. I wish I could afford to invest it instead, but I need to have $50K in cash in case we have to bankroll a year or two of expenditures without touching retirement monies.
Once I hit that $50K I'll consider investing a portion of my saving, but not before.

Glad I looked, because the auto-renewal would have been for 3% instead of 3.5%, but they just happened to have a promo offer. We'll see what offers there are in March when the big CD is up for renewal.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »
We came so very very close to ordering takeout for dinner tonight but resisted. Boxed mac and cheese to the rescue!

FreeBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2019, 06:44:22 PM »
It's embarrassing an very Facepuch worthy, but we spend about $ 9000 US yearly ($170 weekly) on eating out, NOT including restaurant meals while on vacation.  It's our second largest expense after our mortgage!

I finally realized that this is very unhealthy and wasteful.  Actually, we only frequent 3-5 restaurants and get the same 2 dishes at each.  Even at ethnic buffets, they really do don't have much variety.  We now this after hundreds, if not thousands of meals, at each of these restaurants.

I figured that we can cook meals as good or better at home for a tenth (10%) of the cost.  Bottom line:  in 2019 we are averaging $ 54/week, compared to $170/week.  Still a lot of $$, but this a huge improvement in Badassity for us!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!