Author Topic: Uber Frugal February  (Read 44445 times)

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
Re: Uber Frugal February
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »
Mongoose - I am totally up for an Uber Frugal March. I'd actually like to do the whole year.

Same here on going all of 2017. But just want to take it month by month for now.

I need some new March goals though for stuff to tackle.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
DH's prescription arrived for month 2 of 2017. I used a copay coupon card, so the prescription was  $10 out of pocket.  (The coupon savings this month was $1,311).  As a bonus, we hit the family deductible for the year using only $250 of our own money, and $5,750 of copay coupon cards....  The remainder of medical expenses for the year should be $0.  Now that $5,750 gets to grow in my HSA until FIRE.

February never seemed longer.  My frugal muscles are weak.

I am pleased that our dining out expenses are low this month.  I've held up my end of the bargain and planned lots of meals ahead this month to thwart Red Robin and Chilis nights.  We haven't taken the kids to a single restaurant meal out this month. (For us this is MAJOR.) I did resort to takeout using Christmas gift cards a few times though. We also ate from the freezer much of this month. I anticipate only 1 more grocery visit, although it will be a Costco visit.  My kids both needed lunch money - I thought about cheaping out and doing a minimum check to get me through February, but my normal habit is to write $100 checks so I don't have to do it very often. I should really have them pack their own lunches, I know.  Their lunch is $2.25/day - and a from home lunch would probably only cost $1.25.

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »
Time to atone for all the money that flew out over the weekend.

2/14: $10.27 Valentine's chocolate for my kids. I don't even know how this happened; I thought I never buy stuff for this holiday
2/15: $83.90 Internet/business landline
2/16: $30.63 gasoline
         $49 trash/recycling
         $71.64 groceries
2/17: $54.45 2 cell phones
         $6.25 spouse bought a beer at a bar
         $18.25 craft store for my kid's birthday party
2/18: $27.36 garden seeds
         $25.43 groceries
        +$10.07 craft store refund; took back what I won't end up using
2/19: $28.07 gasoline
         $40.99 garden amendments
         $21.35 first aid and beer for slug traps
2/20: $28.87 groceries from natural food store, mistake
         $20 pot
2/21: $42 clothing
         $15 Girl Scout cookies... nothing to see here! Move along, move along
2/22: $80.13 lumber for raised garden bed
         $3.99 sweater pil comb
         $5.95 flowers for kid's teacher (I volunteered to bring these when I thought I'd have flowers growing in my garden but they were too ratty from slug damage to gift)
         $93.06 groceries from Trader Joe's; confirmed, again- this is not the store for me
         $14.69 groceries

Remember when I was trying to curb my wantiness for clothing? Well, after doing all the laundry,  assessing, and delaying purchasing for many days, it turned out I genuinely needed more clothing. I got a dress, 3 sweaters, 2 cardigans, and 5 shirts for $42... total score! They all work together within a limited color palette/are capsule wardrobe compliant, too.
I am on for March UFM, though next month i'll only record non-fixed expenses because it's way more satisfying to see a string of zeros. I also won't record gasoline because we're locked into high gasoline consumption at this point in our lives, rather unfortunately, we just can't do much about it now.
After seeing how much lumber costs for raised beds (I seem to forget every year), I need to limit my garden aspirations, big time.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »
Time to atone for all the money that flew out over the weekend.

2/14: $10.27 Valentine's chocolate for my kids. I don't even know how this happened; I thought I never buy stuff for this holiday
2/15: $83.90 Internet/business landline
2/16: $30.63 gasoline
         $49 trash/recycling
         $71.64 groceries
2/17: $54.45 2 cell phones
         $6.25 spouse bought a beer at a bar
         $18.25 craft store for my kid's birthday party
2/18: $27.36 garden seeds
         $25.43 groceries
        +$10.07 craft store refund; took back what I won't end up using
2/19: $28.07 gasoline
         $40.99 garden amendments
         $21.35 first aid and beer for slug traps
2/20: $28.87 groceries from natural food store, mistake
         $20 pot
2/21: $42 clothing
         $15 Girl Scout cookies... nothing to see here! Move along, move along
2/22: $80.13 lumber for raised garden bed
         $3.99 sweater pil comb
         $5.95 flowers for kid's teacher (I volunteered to bring these when I thought I'd have flowers growing in my garden but they were too ratty from slug damage to gift)
         $93.06 groceries from Trader Joe's; confirmed, again- this is not the store for me
         $14.69 groceries

Remember when I was trying to curb my wantiness for clothing? Well, after doing all the laundry,  assessing, and delaying purchasing for many days, it turned out I genuinely needed more clothing. I got a dress, 3 sweaters, 2 cardigans, and 5 shirts for $42... total score! They all work together within a limited color palette/are capsule wardrobe compliant, too.
I am on for March UFM, though next month i'll only record non-fixed expenses because it's way more satisfying to see a string of zeros. I also won't record gasoline because we're locked into high gasoline consumption at this point in our lives, rather unfortunately, we just can't do much about it now.
After seeing how much lumber costs for raised beds (I seem to forget every year), I need to limit my garden aspirations, big time.

Not very mustachian of you to have so many pets, those first aid costs are pretty high, you know?  And, I mean, if you must keep slugs, can't you reduce your pet food costs?  I see you already spent $27.36 on flowers for them, then another $21.35 for the first aid supplies and beer!  That's almost $50 this month on your pets alone.  Back when I used to keep slugs, I used to give them plain old water.  Plenty of slugs would be content with that, I really think you've spoiled yours.

And I don't even want to know if that $80 line item for lumber, and the $41 in soil amendments are really just your way of trying to hide additional slug care related costs in your budget...

;-P

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2017, 02:42:34 PM »
Cool...I'll start a thread for that next week (if nobody beats me to it...which would also be totally cool with me).

We really need to buckle down and have an actual frugal March. :-)

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
PJ, ha! Don't worry. My pet slugs are hipsters and will only amble up to the trough for swill PBR and Oly. Too cool for premium beer.
Seriously though, does anyone know why slugs prefer cheap, domestic beer?

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2017, 11:14:27 AM »
PJ, ha! Don't worry. My pet slugs are hipsters and will only amble up to the trough for swill PBR and Oly. Too cool for premium beer.
Seriously though, does anyone know why slugs prefer cheap, domestic beer?

'Cause they're mustachian?  Free beer, dude!  Rock on!

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2017, 04:45:37 PM »
Other highlights -
**Paid an extra $500 on my mortgage  (can't wait to pay that off!)
**Upped my 401K contribution - I can afford it so I took the jump.  I'm not a high earner and recently divorced so it's difficult to be as comfortable with a smaller paycheck but it's working out fine.
Seriously impressive!!!! You are doing great!
Gulp. I read this and had a slightly different reaction. My question is "Are you stuffing your available retirement vehicles chock full before you prepay your cheap-ass mortgage?" Your future self will adore you for learning why putting the cart (investing for retirement) before the horse (mortgage pre-payment) is so utterly life-changing and can actually accelerate your arrival at FIRE.
So yay for you, I hope?

Let me explain... I already have quite a bit stashed in my 401K (I'm 47) so I don't plan to max that investment now.  I am investing 20% of my income into my 401K plus I get a 3% match and a safe harbor deposit once a year (usually around $1400). So, I'm still taking advantage of that tax shelter.  I also have a decent Roth IRA balance. And I max my Roth IRA contribution.  I want to retire at 55 (I'm right on track).  I'm recently divorced and re entered the workforce 3 yrs ago (stay at home mom for 20 yrs).   Although my ex was a high earner, I was the one who was the saver.  That put me in a pretty good spot now.  When I left, I chose to take no alimony (I did take half the assets) and support myself.  That is a little scary.  Neither of my parents were good with money (probably why I've always been so frugal).  My mom did lose her house due to poor money habits.  I don't want that to happen to me.  Part of my motivations are driven by fear but I still believe that paying off my mortgage will give me the peace of mind I really need.  My plan is to pay it off in the next 3 yrs (meaning I paid it in 6 yrs total - lots of OT and a second job).  Once the mortgage is gone, my total monthly expenses will be under $1000.  I could probably retire at that point but, since it's just me, I want to be mentally ready (I never expected to be on my own at this point of my life so I'm still trying to figure everything out).

Everyone's situation is different.  I love these threads because I learn so much about how other people are achieving their goals.  It's very motivating.  I don't think it's a great idea to judge someone's goals/achievements without knowing the entire picture.  So, yeah, yay me!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #258 on: February 24, 2017, 06:39:46 PM »
After two no-spend days, today turned into be a spendy day!  There I go lying again.  Spent $20 at CVS yesterday on lady products and some hair goo.  Nearlyl forgot that one.

$20 for a museum ticket for the weekend (last weekend in DC)
$20 at Trader Joe's
$121 online Sierra Trading Post order.  I'll pick this up at the store when I get home, and may return some or all of it.  I've decided that I want to simplify my wardrobe a bit, so I ordered five identical polo shirts to wear riding.  A couple months ago I bought a half dozen white saddle pads when they were on sale to replace the hodge-podge of different colors and styles of pads I had floating around. I also ordered two sleeveless shirts that are the same style but different colors.  If I don't love them, I'll return them.  Used credit card with 5% back. 

And I'm online shopping right now! I might not buy anything right away, but decided to take advantage of my current surplus of free time to search for some specific things.  If they aren't on sale, they just get bookmarked for possible purchase at a later date.  Right now footwear is my issue.  I can no longer be bothered with uncomfortable shoes for fashion's sake and could stand to get a couple replacements for uncomfy shoes I put in the donate bin last fall.

On the win side - I didn't buy any horse blankets, which are on clearance now, and which I LOVE buying for whatever reason.  But both horses have more than a full set.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2017, 06:58:03 PM »
Pretty good month so far -

1 - $4 (food - 3 "good" frozen pizzas with sale, coupons and Walgreens points), $40 (gas - 1st fill up since Dec 27th!)
2 - $0
3 - $142 (rug - bought a clearance remnant for the bedroom that I've really needed for 2 yrs)
4 - $57.13 (food), $75 (microwave on Craigslist - doesn't fit my space - UGH! - so I'll relist it)
5 - $22 (beer), $34 (paint)
6 - $0
7 - $0

8 - $0
9 - $0
10 - $0
11 - $106 (groceries - including $40 for cat food/litter)
12 - $0
13 - $0
14 - $0

15 - $0
16 - $0
17 - $0
18 - $0.26 (toothpaste - free with coupon but had to pay tax...)
19 - $0
20 - $66 (Lowe's - paint which I needed for this weekend)
21 - $0

22 - $0
23 - $14 (Wireless mouse and a bag of chips.  I'm giving up chips for Lent so figured I'd splurge one last time)
24 - $0

That makes 16 no spend days so far!  I need more paint to finish this project but that should be everything for the month!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2017, 06:33:24 AM »
This is the budget end of February for me, and I hit my $600 savings goal despite some eating out. I'm going for $700 in March, but that may be more of a stretch than I can do. We'll see.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2017, 08:02:26 AM »
After two no-spend days, today turned into be a spendy day!  There I go lying again.  Spent $20 at CVS yesterday on lady products and some hair goo.  Nearlyl forgot that one.

$20 for a museum ticket for the weekend (last weekend in DC)
$20 at Trader Joe's
$121 online Sierra Trading Post order.  I'll pick this up at the store when I get home, and may return some or all of it.  I've decided that I want to simplify my wardrobe a bit, so I ordered five identical polo shirts to wear riding.  A couple months ago I bought a half dozen white saddle pads when they were on sale to replace the hodge-podge of different colors and styles of pads I had floating around. I also ordered two sleeveless shirts that are the same style but different colors.  If I don't love them, I'll return them.  Used credit card with 5% back. 

And I'm online shopping right now! I might not buy anything right away, but decided to take advantage of my current surplus of free time to search for some specific things.  If they aren't on sale, they just get bookmarked for possible purchase at a later date.  Right now footwear is my issue.  I can no longer be bothered with uncomfortable shoes for fashion's sake and could stand to get a couple replacements for uncomfy shoes I put in the donate bin last fall.

On the win side - I didn't buy any horse blankets, which are on clearance now, and which I LOVE buying for whatever reason.  But both horses have more than a full set.

You and I need to go on more of a frugality month....You should have waited until 3/1 to shop the Sierra sale...;-)  I have a pair of black Justin's from 1994 that are still going - because I no longer live near the country.  I'm OK with uncomfortable for fashion's sake.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2017, 10:35:21 AM »
You and I need to go on more of a frugality month....You should have waited until 3/1 to shop the Sierra sale...;-)  I have a pair of black Justin's from 1994 that are still going - because I no longer live near the country.  I'm OK with uncomfortable for fashion's sake.

Yep, I'd probably hit about the right level of spending if I tried for an Uber Frugal challenge each month. ;-)  In the past week or two I've had the urge to buy a wide variety of things.  It usually passes, and I'm enforcing a "wait and think about it" approach. 

I actually found these shirts last week and have been thinking about it and decided that I did indeed want them.  Since I've been away from home with a quite limited wardrobe, the idea of something closer to a capsule wardrobe has started to look pretty attractive.  I have one pair of leather shoes that I wear to work every day (I can feel the insole starting to wear, hence the shoe shopping).  What I'm working on now is more of a uniform for riding with all neutrals that go together and look nice.  Definitely not Uber Frugal though!  The clothes I have at home are a distant memory right now, so I know I won't be buying any new street clothes before I get home though.

Those Justins will last forever, especially if they're the bullhide ones (even if you wear them!).  I got tired of my Ariat paddock boots falling apart, so picked up a pair of the bullhides on eBay a couple years ago.  Not the comfiest thing ever, but they certainly hold up.  I also had a pair in the '90's and foolishly got rid of them, but my feet keep getting fatter, so they probably wouldn't fit now anyway.

OK - on the frugality front - breakfast was leftover rice with some random vegetables and an egg on top.  More of a brunch - I just eat twice a day on weekends.  Hanging out at home drinking coffee; should be a no-spend day today.  Leftover chili for dinner tonight.

I borrowed scissors from the office and have been trimming squirrelly bits of hair to make it until my hair appt. on 3/7.  Thought I'd need to get a haircut while in DC, but managed to avoid it, which probably saved $50.  Running out of hair goo I buy for a stupid price from my hair dresser and replaced it with a drug store brand for 1/3 the price, and think it will be satisfactory to keep buying the cheaper kind.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »
Booked 3 car rentals with UR points on the Chase portal today (CA June trip, December-January  CA/Maui trip required 2 rentals).   Traveling and dining out are major weaknesses for our family.

One think I figured out about the Chase UR site - they are cheaper than Hotwire!  And you can still get your loyalty brand points on top of that, and you can cancel up to three days before your trip unlike Hotwire.  Amazing.  We're still spending down the 2 Chase Sapphire Reserve/2 Chase Sapphire Preferred points we got from travel hacking. 

I'd say the 3 rentals still count as Fairly Frugal since no actual dollars went out the door....But I could have redeemed those UR points for cash.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2017, 12:27:06 PM »
At some point I need to tally up the damage from the last several days.

I view it as money well spent...but still expect to cringe inwardly.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2017, 08:55:21 PM »
I just posted in a bunch of other threads, hoping that people will get tired of reading my posts and skip this one.  And I'm also posting here in February's thread, even though I just got paid what I consider to be March's money.  I'm hoping that a bunch of folks have already moved over to the March thread and have stopped reading February's.

All that because I have to make (a) confession(s):

I ate out this weekend.  Twice.

Pizza on Friday night.  About $10, walk-in special price for a Large.  I love pizza.  Ate a bunch Friday night, almost half.  Ate half of what was left for a very late lunch yesterday.  There's enough left (3 tiny pieces) for one more meal.  Relatively frugal, right?  If I hadn't been starving by the time I ate on Friday night, I could have made it stretch for 4 meals instead of 3, for a per meal cost of $2.50.

And tonight, an amazing "Morning Glory" burger (veggie patty substituted for the meat, and a runny fried egg on top) with fries and chocolate milk from Shamrock Burgers.  ( http://shamrockburgers.com/locations/ )  About $15.  So worth it!  Had to put half of the fries away for another day though!  (Thrifty, or just too full?  Take a guess...)

Oh.  I think somewhere along the way I forgot I was supposed to be ashamed of all this.  Sorry.  (Not sorry.)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2017, 04:41:20 AM »
February was not uber frugal but frugal.  I was mindful about just about everything and that was a success.  I wouldn't say my spending impulse is  gone, still teetering, but it is definitely better. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2017, 04:47:27 AM »
Oh PJ, I went out to eat yesterday too!  Came home after a day of museum ing and there was a loud party going on upstairs, so I tried to do do a coffee shop to hang out in, but they were all packed.  Ended up sipping beers and getting a personal pizza to kill time.  So looking forward to getting back to my house where I'm not at the mercy of.the neighbors schedule.  Slept in the spare bedroom because apparently they were.staying up and o watch the Oscars.  No noise proofing at all in this.old building.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2017, 04:55:53 AM »
I just posted in a bunch of other threads, hoping that people will get tired of reading my posts and skip this one.  And I'm also posting here in February's thread, even though I just got paid what I consider to be March's money.  I'm hoping that a bunch of folks have already moved over to the March thread and have stopped reading February's.

All that because I have to make (a) confession(s):

I ate out this weekend.  Twice.

Pizza on Friday night.  About $10, walk-in special price for a Large.  I love pizza.  Ate a bunch Friday night, almost half.  Ate half of what was left for a very late lunch yesterday.  There's enough left (3 tiny pieces) for one more meal.  Relatively frugal, right?  If I hadn't been starving by the time I ate on Friday night, I could have made it stretch for 4 meals instead of 3, for a per meal cost of $2.50.

And tonight, an amazing "Morning Glory" burger (veggie patty substituted for the meat, and a runny fried egg on top) with fries and chocolate milk from Shamrock Burgers.  ( http://shamrockburgers.com/locations/ )  About $15.  So worth it!  Had to put half of the fries away for another day though!  (Thrifty, or just too full?  Take a guess...)

Oh.  I think somewhere along the way I forgot I was supposed to be ashamed of all this.  Sorry.  (Not sorry.)

We have been this for months now and I don't think yours were all that bad. You didn't go swinging from the chandeliers, right? Sounds like you have moved on. :0)

Like horsepoor, I have been thinking about lot of stuff. All home decor. Curtains, rugs, paintings, martini glasses. It makes me feel gross that I could be slipping back into my old ways. I did not spend a dollar (yet) but I feel like I cheated on my spouse or something - like that yuckiness when you did something wrong and a shower won't fix it because you know you went too far. A little overdramatic, yes. To remedy it a bit, I did list 7 of my cookbooks on Amazon that I don't get any use out of and if I could get back on the sales wagon in March (of selling my crap), then I would feel better about buying a couple things.

Recap:
So actual dollars spent = $0
Dollar in my head spent = $1,600 (maybe more)

The want desire makes me nervous because DH is very close to retirement. I don't have figures like this budgeted into our retirement budget. I did 1,000 a year for this kind of thing (if markets going well, but otherwise no). Some of these are legacy expenses from buying a new-to-us home and I don't expect them to be recurring. Thankfully, I have a small (for America) home.

In other areas, I discovered cocktails at home.  In November,  when I was in NYC with a girlfriend, we went to this swanky bar and got $20 cocktails but have never made them really them home.  I love myself a drink around 5pm. I don't like having wine at home because one glass easily becomes two. I had some leftover tequila, vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice and Rose's lime juice, plus a little fresh lime too. I have been enjoying great margaritas, cosmpolitans, etc. Free (no incremental cost this month), fun to make, and my physical tolerance leads me to only have 1 drink. Perfect combo!  What I have been making at home rivals what I would get while dining out (except I don't have pretty glassware (yet)). And it is better on my waistline. There a million cocktail recipes online so it feels festive to me. I can hear Frank Sinatra singing when I make them.

Sorry for rambling. Excited to be moving on to March.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2017, 04:57:16 AM »
Oh PJ, I went out to eat yesterday too!  Came home after a day of museum ing and there was a loud party going on upstairs, so I tried to do do a coffee shop to hang out in, but they were all packed.  Ended up sipping beers and getting a personal pizza to kill time.  So looking forward to getting back to my house where I'm not at the mercy of.the neighbors schedule.  Slept in the spare bedroom because apparently they were.staying up and o watch the Oscars.  No noise proofing at all in this.old building.

I think I would have done the same thing. Sorry for your troubles.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2017, 05:08:31 AM »
In other areas, I discovered cocktails at home.  In November,  when I was in NYC with a girlfriend, we went to this swanky bar and got $20 cocktails but have never made them really them home.  I love myself a drink around 5pm. I don't like having wine at home because one glass easily becomes two. I had some leftover tequila, vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice and Rose's lime juice, plus a little fresh lime too. I have been enjoying great margaritas, cosmpolitans, etc. Free (no incremental cost this month), fun to make, and my physical tolerance leads me to only have 1 drink. Perfect combo!  What I have been making at home rivals what I would get while dining out (except I don't have pretty glassware (yet)). And it is better on my waistline. There a million cocktail recipes online so it feels festive to me. I can hear Frank Sinatra singing when I make them.

Update alert: just checked Personal Capital to confirm....my last alcohol purchase was Jan 11 for $38!!!! I officially had a zero spend alcohol month (by accident, of course)!  Woo hoo!

If we didn't have company coming in later March, I would set a goal to make March a zero alcohol spend month too.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2017, 06:12:04 AM »
Day    Feb.
1    $187
2    $22
3    $7
4    $68
5    $5
6    $41
7    $0
Week 1 Total:    $329

Day    Feb.
8    $60
9    $30
10    $0
11    $0
12    $163
13    $0
14    $47 
Week 2 Total:    $299

I've been sick for like a week and have spent about $50 on drugs....so that's kind of a bummer. Otherwise, it's been going good.

Day    Feb.
15    $0
16    $0
17    $721 $601
18    $53
19    $54
20    $0
21    $7 
Week 3 Total:    $835 $715

edit: backed out principal payment of mortgage
The month isn't over, but my spending is...so here we go...

Day    Feb.
22    $127
23    $0
24    $4
25    $213
26    $0
27    $0
28    $7 
Week 4 Total: $345

Grand Total: $1,688.08
Housing: $774.04
Transportation: $142.94
Consumables: $290.04
Fun: $78.84
Other: $402.22

The "Other" category was exceptionally high this month, which was kind of expected. The bulk of this were irregular expenses: $55 on medicine (sick for like 2 weeks), $127 on supplements, $20 on gifts, $100 for tax prep. Not as frugal as last month ($1,474 in January), but still well under $2,000, so I'm happy. My savings rate this month will be 48.9%.

I'm out for March. I have a small kitchen reno that will be taking place hopefully...

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2017, 07:55:27 AM »
PJ, your eating out bill per meal is less than we spend on dinner at home (or equivalent per person). Just cuz it comes from a restaurant doesn't make it bad IMO. If it fits in the budget, cool (not super healthy possibly but fine occasionally). See, and I was congratulating myself that folks were still on the February thread and wouldn't notice my spending on luxuries already. ;-)

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
1 - $0.00
2 - $0.00
3 - $223.07 groceries, makeup, massage (with deductible)
4 - $14.85 alcohol
5 - $0.00
6 - $0.00
7 - $0.00
8 - $0.00
9 - $0.00
10 - $163.30 groceries
11 - $285.59 birthday $
12 - $0.00
13 - $43.07 groceries, tea, lozenges
14 - $45.73 groceries
15 - $0.00
16 - $0.00
17 - $0.00
18 - $65.81 groceries
19 - $120.95 wake up light
20 - $5.00 tax filing
21 - $0.00
22 - $0.00
23 - $38.36 groceries
24 - $0.00
25 - $0.00
26 - $0.00
27 - $0.00
28 - $0.00

TOTAL: $1005.73
No spend days: 18

Not a frugal month.. with my birthday, both of us being sick for half the month, and a few other things I just had trouble holding it together. The birthday money I spent was gifted to me at least, and the rest was mostly buying treats/convenience items at the grocery store when we were too tired/sick to cook. Next month I'm aiming to get the grocery spending back down.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
LOL! 

You guys are too nice!  Where are the facepunches????

All right, yeah, I didn't go wild and crazy, but I did exhibit zero self-control.  I said "neener neener neener" to the frugal thoughts in my head and just got what I wanted when I wanted it. 

I will let myself off the hook now, but trying to be conscious of what led to that - the thought process is something like "I'm busy and I'm tired and I deserve to have someone take care of me for a change."  The problem is that I'm busy and tired way too often to succumb to that line of thinking, which is a big factor in why I have CC debt in the first place.  Throwing money at problem/feelings to make it feel better temporarily doesn't work in the long run.

For me, this exercise is all about mindfulness in spending, and making reasoned choices, and trying to find alternative ways to meet my needs.

Anyway!  On that note, re home stuff shopping, especially with a new place, nottoolatetostart, could you pick a particular area that you want to fix up, or a particular need that you need to fill, and set yourself a challenge to do it with X dollars, or at the lowest possible price.  There's a home decorating magazine I used to read ages ago, Style at Home, that has a High/Low feature, getting the same look for more or less money:  http://www.styleathome.com/decorating/subsection/high-or-low

Now, their "high" priced version is usually shockingly high, and their "low" priced version is laughable (i.e. not really low), but I could totally see taking a picture from an ad, or a magazine (read at the library or in the supermarket check-out line) where you go searching for the items to create a similar look, shopping at thrift and budget stores.  So, you choose a look you like, and then go searching for just the right table, mirror and baskets for a staging area near the front door, or whatever.  Could be kind of fun!

edited to add:  Oh, and mongoose - too funny, you posting in March and me posting in February, both hoping to slip under the radar!  Didn't work though, did it?!?

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #275 on: February 27, 2017, 01:59:24 PM »
Here are the totals -

1 - $4 (food - 3 "good" frozen pizzas with sale, coupons and Walgreens points), $40 (gas - 1st fill up since Dec 27th!)
2 - $0
3 - $142 (rug - bought a clearance remnant for the bedroom that I've really needed for 2 yrs)
4 - $57.13 (food), $75 (microwave on Craigslist - doesn't fit my space - UGH! - so I'll relist it)
5 - $22 (beer), $34 (paint)
6 - $0
7 - $0

8 - $0
9 - $0
10 - $0
11 - $106 (groceries - including $40 for cat food/litter)
12 - $0
13 - $0
14 - $0

15 - $0
16 - $0
17 - $0
18 - $0.26 (toothpaste - free with coupon but had to pay tax...)
19 - $0
20 - $66 (Lowe's - paint which I needed for this weekend)
21 - $0

22 - $0
23 - $14 (Wireless mouse and a bag of chips.  I'm giving up chips for Lent so figured I'd splurge one last time)
24 - $0
25 - $68.45 (Lowe's - last of the paint supplies)
26 - $0
27 - $0
28 - $0 (working 7am-10pm means no time to spend!)

Total - $628.84

This included a lot of home improvement items ($385.45 - including the microwave that I need to relist to sell as it didn't fit).  Food costs - $189.13.  It's hard to figure out my food spending as I do almost all of the grocery shopping for my household - and that includes feeding my boyfriend dinner during the week, and all meals on the weekend.  My son stops over for a couple dinners a week also.  My bf buys his own breakfasts and lunches during the week.  And he bought stuff to make dinner Saturday night which wasn't included in my spending.  I also work in a medical building and am able to take home lots of leftovers (I usually just take home things on Friday because it would just get thrown out otherwise) so that helps my budget a little. 

I plan to spend less in March as I don't need many home improvement products.  But my daughter is coming for a visit and I do plan on some takeout that I know she really misses.  Nothing fancy or expensive though.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2017, 05:03:21 AM »
LOL! 

You guys are too nice!  Where are the facepunches????

All right, yeah, I didn't go wild and crazy, but I did exhibit zero self-control.  I said "neener neener neener" to the frugal thoughts in my head and just got what I wanted when I wanted it. 

I will let myself off the hook now, but trying to be conscious of what led to that - the thought process is something like "I'm busy and I'm tired and I deserve to have someone take care of me for a change."  The problem is that I'm busy and tired way too often to succumb to that line of thinking, which is a big factor in why I have CC debt in the first place.  Throwing money at problem/feelings to make it feel better temporarily doesn't work in the long run.

For me, this exercise is all about mindfulness in spending, and making reasoned choices, and trying to find alternative ways to meet my needs.

Anyway!  On that note, re home stuff shopping, especially with a new place, nottoolatetostart, could you pick a particular area that you want to fix up, or a particular need that you need to fill, and set yourself a challenge to do it with X dollars, or at the lowest possible price.  There's a home decorating magazine I used to read ages ago, Style at Home, that has a High/Low feature, getting the same look for more or less money:  http://www.styleathome.com/decorating/subsection/high-or-low

Now, their "high" priced version is usually shockingly high, and their "low" priced version is laughable (i.e. not really low), but I could totally see taking a picture from an ad, or a magazine (read at the library or in the supermarket check-out line) where you go searching for the items to create a similar look, shopping at thrift and budget stores.  So, you choose a look you like, and then go searching for just the right table, mirror and baskets for a staging area near the front door, or whatever.  Could be kind of fun!

edited to add:  Oh, and mongoose - too funny, you posting in March and me posting in February, both hoping to slip under the radar!  Didn't work though, did it?!?

Didn't work at all!

I always think of MMM article on "Is it convenient? Wrong question" (or something like that) and go down the catheter path when I think about convenience (YMMV).

For home decor, I find that buying cheaper does not always pan out. At least, nowadays I spend A LOT of researching and thinking, and thinking more, if it is something I want and yes, try to find it cheaper (I am a decent carpenter too). And of as of this year, these purchases don't come out of our actual budget either...I need to earn the money from sales or rebate stuff (but someday that well will run dry).  But I hate the aftermath of poor choices, I have to sell on Craiglist or use my most precious (time) to return something, so I would rather wait and spend money on something I really, really want.

Funny enough, I noticed on personal capital last night before going to bed that our net worth went up $45k (wtf?!??!?!) in the last 30 days and I did a bunch of prepaid expenses so it was a spendy month for us (insurances, CSA, electric bill).  The market uptick is nuts. I laughed because I am debating $125 for new curtains and found out NW increased significantly more than that (yes, it was our frugalness that got us investment money, you could argue).

PJ, you would find it funny that at a free playdate last week (thank goodness I have neighbors that purchase spendy playground equipment for their kids!), a mom was telling a group of us that she got a quote for curtains for a bay window that has been curtainless for 7 years. She said the quote was more than her kids tuition. I didn't know curtains came that expensive???? So her husband gave her option of new curtains or kids tuition, so they are considering it.  Now, I only have 1 kid in preschool right now part-time at $2k but both of her preschoolers go full time (which is probably $5-6k total - there is a sibling discount so I don't know what she pays).  Doesn't it help to frame my $125 curtains (which includes making my own curtain rod)?   Ok, maybe not, but I figured it was worth a shot. :0))))

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2017, 06:29:36 AM »
PJ, you would find it funny that at a free playdate last week (thank goodness I have neighbors that purchase spendy playground equipment for their kids!), a mom was telling a group of us that she got a quote for curtains for a bay window that has been curtainless for 7 years. She said the quote was more than her kids tuition. I didn't know curtains came that expensive???? So her husband gave her option of new curtains or kids tuition, so they are considering it.  Now, I only have 1 kid in preschool right now part-time at $2k but both of her preschoolers go full time (which is probably $5-6k total - there is a sibling discount so I don't know what she pays).  Doesn't it help to frame my $125 curtains (which includes making my own curtain rod)?   Ok, maybe not, but I figured it was worth a shot. :0))))

I could see custom drapes getting very expensive.  Yards and yards of $50 fabric, and then the custom work, plus linings, hardware, etc.  Heck, throw in a motorized remote opener/closer thingie.

Just think:  because of frugalness, you can afford your kid's tuition AND curtains!

Well, today is the last day of the month.  I managed to be a little below budget on groceries and utilities, but went over on restaurants and the online shopping of the past few days.  Overall, I'm at ~$1600 net of take home pay - expenses.  Pretty happy with that since I am currently paying $750/month for my delinquent horse's training/reform school.  When she comes home I'll be able to net >$2,000 based on a 2-paycheck month (get paid 26 times per year).

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2017, 09:33:24 AM »
Didn't work at all!

I always think of MMM article on "Is it convenient? Wrong question" (or something like that) and go down the catheter path when I think about convenience (YMMV).

For home decor, I find that buying cheaper does not always pan out. At least, nowadays I spend A LOT of researching and thinking, and thinking more, if it is something I want and yes, try to find it cheaper (I am a decent carpenter too). And of as of this year, these purchases don't come out of our actual budget either...I need to earn the money from sales or rebate stuff (but someday that well will run dry).  But I hate the aftermath of poor choices, I have to sell on Craiglist or use my most precious (time) to return something, so I would rather wait and spend money on something I really, really want.

Funny enough, I noticed on personal capital last night before going to bed that our net worth went up $45k (wtf?!??!?!) in the last 30 days and I did a bunch of prepaid expenses so it was a spendy month for us (insurances, CSA, electric bill).  The market uptick is nuts. I laughed because I am debating $125 for new curtains and found out NW increased significantly more than that (yes, it was our frugalness that got us investment money, you could argue).

Yes, people all over the place (on the forums) are talking about the market uptick.  Of course, it could go down again too, but it sure is fun to see while it lasts! 

I did know that curtains come that expensive.  Had a friend whose job used to be selling carpeting and custom drapes, on behalf of a major department store (Sears).  As a single person nearing retirement, she had a nice car (some type of small SUV - she had a lot of samples to carry) and a condo down by the waterfront, though not central downtown, it was in the west end of Toronto.  Now, near the end of her working life, that department was struggling, and the pay structure got changed, and she started to supplement her income with dog walking and boarding.  But she was able to retire and sell her condo and move out of the city, and it was all supported by a career selling drapes! 

But seriously!  The choice between drapes and your kid's needs is an easy one.  Isn't it?  Also, people who could afford to spend $7000 on drapes should be forced to choose between drapes and tuition!  If it comes down to those two things, it's a pretty good indication that you can't afford the drapes.

(Ok, and super helpful reference to the MMM article.  I'ma gonna go read that one again!)

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: February 28, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »
Final February numbers...

2/23: $54.45 2 cell phones
2/24: $105.63 insurance for 2 cars
         $25.05 groceries
         $13 pot
2/25: $6.95 Microsoft word for side business
         $32.49 gasoline
         $0.96 vanguard fee (I should really learn more about how these fees work)
2/26: $0
2/27: $169.02 groceries
         $36 beer at bar (spouse... and he had an event both before and after this with free drinks!)
         $18.95 medicine
         $6.95 video subscription service
         $19.66 fast food (spouse decided my cooking was inedible and got this instead. My children and I have been happily eating that meal I cooked for three day's of breakfasts.)

Grocery total (includes paper products, toiletries, LED light bulbs, alcohol, etc.): $807.29 for 4 people. Not great.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:58:54 AM by lemonverbena »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: February 28, 2017, 11:38:27 AM »
         $19.66 fast food (spouse decided my cooking was inedible and got this instead. My children and I have been happily eating that meal I cooked for three day's of breakfasts.)

Sounds like spouse needs to do more of the cooking...

lemonverbena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: February 28, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »
It sounds bad, doesn't it? To be fair, he has two full-time jobs, while I'm a SAHM. One of those jobs is as an executive chef, cooking up to 600 or so meals a day. So, nah, he really shouldn't cook more at home (though he does that often, too), he just needs to lower his standards! ;)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2017, 02:08:27 PM »
That does help to put it in context.  But "inedible" is a bit of a stretch.  Hope he has made it up to you in other ways!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2017, 03:35:48 PM »
Spending week 1
2/1: $27.19 on pizza;  $76.92 Patreon subscription
2/2: $0
2/3: $15.71 groceries;  $30.79 gasoline
2/4: $89.63 groceries
2/5: $0
2/6: $0
2/7: $2.47 coffee;  $9.80 stamps;  $39.99 internet

Week One: $292.5

Spending week 2
2/8:   $0
2/9:   $1.73 spatula
2/10: $29.93 restaurant
2/11: $29.72 restaurant;  $30.06 groceries
2/12: $0
2/13: $16.39 audible subscription
2/14: $0

Week Two: $107.83

Spending week 3
2/15: $43.83 Turbo Tax
2/16: $14.14 dentist reward;  $15.00 coffee pre-load
2/17: $115.08 violin rental;  $7.29 Friday treats;  $53.70 gym membership
2/18: $34.23 Costco gasoline;  $55.24 Costco groceries;  $60.06 Costco household;  $69.98 b-day gift
2/19: $23.00 restaurant;  $1.62 Redbox
2/20: $58.86 groceries;  $4.95 toll
2/21: $0 (yay!)

Week Three: $556.98

2/22: $7.63 groceries;  $5.98 cookies;  $62.19 cell phone
2/23: $2.14 coffee shop
2/24: $0
2/25: $29.89 eating out;  $74.20 hosting visitors
2/26: $31.50 eating out;  $129 AirBnB
2/27: $7 tea shop;  $9 eating out;  $8.76 Hulu;  $96.05 electric

Week Four: $496.94

Ummmmmm. Lookit that zero spend day on the 24th! Otherwise, yeah. Lotsa money.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
2/01 -- $18.74 box wine...that was almost purchased 1/29 but I held out!
2/02 -- $0
2/03 -- $0
2/04 -- $103.77 Costco ($30.56 dog food)
             $22.08 Costco gasoline
2/05 -- $122.59 Home depot

2/06 -- $0
2/07 -- $0
2/08 -- $0
2/09 -- $0
2/10 -- $35.20 co-op -- loose leaf tea that was a LOT spendier than I thought! I also should've calculated before buying to make sure the scale at the register was reading correctly. Oops! and coconut ice cream on sale**
2/11 -- $24.27 grocery store
           $3.48 grocery store
           $11.02 wine
2/12 -- $0

2/13 -- $0
2/14 -- $74.16 -- 3 tickets to our bike shop party next month for 30 Days of Biking
2/18 -- $16.72 -- groceries
         -- $24.89 -- gasoline
2/19 -- $0
2/20 -- $0

2/21 -- $0
2/22 -- $0
2/23 -- $35.00 - kid-home-from-college tradition of eating dinner at his gf's workplace - $10 less than normal due to no wine
2/24 -- $7.96 - processed frozen food requested by kiddo that I totally indulged in as well
           $5.50 - snack for kiddo while listening to me and bike shop owner talk for two hours
2/25 -- $37.57 weekly groceries
2/26 -- $0

2/27 -- $17.28 - kiddo and friends requested a particular home cooked dinner..."but of course!" aaaand had left my wallet at work so went back out to the neighborhood store instead of cheap cheap store.
2/28 -- $0

Well I learned it's a lot easier to go super frugal and boring with food when it's just me :)  It used to be the opposite; I was much better at cooking for at least two and gleaning the leftovers. Now I'm dialed in to just my meals for the whole workweek which leaves not a lot in the fridge when, say, hungry 18 and 19 year olds show up for dinner :)  I love the whole gang to pieces though so it's worth taking a few months to figure out how to make it work for me.

Overall, ok. Avoided impulse purchases again this month, which I love, because the more times I do it the less I'm tempted in the first place. Still trying to decide if I should buy new Aeropress filters, but in the meantime I've used the same two over and over for about a week now without grounds in my coffee.

I think next month I need to track spending daily - I got a little blasé halfway through the month and didn't go crazy spending but definitely had trouble remembering what specifically I bought on one grocery charge (the frozen food).

I love reading everyone's updates and musings about our own individual spending psychology. Great job, everyone!

akzidenz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2017, 12:07:41 AM »
I'm conflicted about how well I fulfilled UFF. I definitely cut down on some spendy categories, but I feel my baseline level of spending is quite extravagant. But I'll continue to the Uber Frugal March thread and try to condition myself slowly into appropriate levels of spending!

CategoryAmount
Home Goods$457
Fashion$331
Food$314 ($440 in January)
Healthcare/Fitness$252
Entertainment$133 ($192 in January)
Gifts$83
Transportation$55 ($79 in January)
Media$53
Beauty$53

In total, I spent…$1,731. Not that frugal at all, really. It's tough because I'm trying to furnish a new place right now, in my first post-college apartment of my own. It's disorienting to realize how many household goods I need (basic cleaning supplies, for example!) and it's terribly easy to want the "upgrade" option that's unnecessarily expensive. I'm hoping the home goods expenses will calm down a few months from now.

No really good excuse for the huge fashion expense. I am proud of how low my food and transportation costs are, though (extensive walking and bus usage, plus being in a city, helps a lot here).

Additional notes: I had 10 no spend days, and my savings rate was 30% (not counting my 401k contributions and EOY bonus, which I hurriedly stashed in an investment account as soon as I got it).

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #286 on: March 01, 2017, 09:35:42 AM »
The February totals:

1 - $5 groceries
2 - $0
3 - $12 drinks out
4 - $0
5 - $70 fuel for truck
6 - $0
7 - $30 groceries
8 - $0
9 - $0
10 - $132 ferry travel and food
11 - $7 Jalapeńo Cheddar smokies
12 - $0
13 - $12 ferry food
14 - $0
15 - $90 fuel and a meal out
16 - $0
17 - $30 taco ingredients and a few other food staples
18 - $45 beer at hockey game + transit
19 - $0
20 - $0
21 - $60 groceries
22 - $0

23 - $50 fuel for truck
24 - $260 hotel and parking (2 night hotel stay, one night paid with Visa travel card points)
25 - $120 food and drinks out
26 - $30 fuel for truck

27 - $0
28 - $0

Total discretionary spending: $953
Fixed expenses (approx): $1100

Total February spending: $2053

Our very low housing costs ($400) are the key to our ability to keep overall monthly expenses low. Even with a fair bit of travel expenses, including a ritzy hotel for me and a fair bit of eating and drinking out, we barely ticked over $2000. I asked DW if she thought it felt like we were sacrificing too much this month. She said it didn't feel like it. I fully intend to reference this experiment should she decide that she wants to join me in retirement before our current "5 year plan" plays out. The fact that we can live happily on this amount (or less) should help ease her fears that we have not saved enough. (She is not completely sold on the "math of early retirement" quite yet)

March may include some bigger expenses, related to the arrival of Spring gardening season. Today, for instance I'm likely to buy $50 worth of vegetable seeds. A few truckloads of topsoil are also in my future.
And our food stocks are in serious need to replenishing - the pantry is REALLY bare.

I actually enjoyed this process and may participate again for March...

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #287 on: March 03, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
Week 1 update:

2/1 – $15 for political action group dues
2/2 – $0
2/3 – $0
2/4 – $15 for cocktail (business networking-related)
2/5 – $0
2/6 – $34 for tax filing software
2/7 – $0

Total for Week 1 = $64

I've been delinquent on updating for February, but here's the rest of the month.  Managed to keep my spending really low, so thanks, everyone, for your inspiration!

2/8 - $28 for gas, $46 for groceries (mostly just produce and dairy!), $4 for dish soap, $19 for OTC medicine and vitamins; also submitted $84.50’s worth of mileage reimbursements, which will offset all of my gas this month and then some
2/9 – $5 for eggs from my CSA
2/10 – $10 to get my bangs trimmed, $50 at the discount grocery store, $4 theater ticket change fee so we didn’t have to drive an hour in a blizzard
2/11 – $0
2/12 – $0
2/13 – $0
2/14 – $0

Total for Week 2 = $166 (or $81.50 if you factor in the mileage reimbursement!)

2/15 – $0
2/16 – $23.50 for dinner out with a Meetup group
2/17 – $0
2/18 – $4.50 for milk
2/19 – $5.50 for snack when out and about (didn’t think I would get hungry, but I did, and needed to eat)
2/20 – $27 for gas, $4.50 for a sympathy card, $1 for Cadbury mini eggs (the one seasonal candy I give in to every year)
2/21 – $0

Total for Week 3 = $66

2/22 – $0
2/23 – $1 for bartender tip
2/24 – $5 for reusable mug
2/25 – $7.50 for a flight of beer at a networking happy hour
2/26 – $42.50 for necessary clothing purchase, $6.50 for a souvenir magnet
2/27 – $0
2/28 – $34 for February snow plowing

Total for Week 4 = $96.50

Total February spending:  $1460.50 (2016 average = $2373)