Author Topic: TO END OF 2019 FITNESS/HEALTH GOALS  (Read 17971 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
TO END OF 2019 FITNESS/HEALTH GOALS
« on: August 05, 2019, 04:09:54 AM »
August 5th 2019

All is welcome anytime to just list things they would like to accomplish before the end of year. Come and go or post daily and if you dont read this till? October or whatever it doesn't matter just join in. After back to back 120 day challenges thought to do something different! So list all or some of your goals and see how you do!

* 12k Steps minimum average per day over each week
* Below 195 currently around 204
* Eat more veggies and fruit and clean up the diet a bit more
* Try to average per my Fitbit a minimum of 6.5 Hours of sleep

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:23:04 AM by soccerluvof4 »

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
Re: TO END OF 2019 FITNESS/HEALTH GOALS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 05:31:09 AM »
I'm in! I've started this a week ago, after finishing Can't hurt me by David Goggins. What a great book!

- 100 runs (95 to go)
- 10,000 push-ups (9,920 to go)
- 1,000 pull-ups (1,000 to go)

I also wanted to run 10km, but I thought it was very hard to achive - and today I ran 8km, without a huge effort. I would have run 10km but I had to catch a train in the morning :) So my new goal is 10km in an hour or 12km without watching the clock.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 01:55:21 AM »
Awesome! welcome @kaposzta

8/6/2019

Sleep only 4 Hours
Weight 203.6
Steps 12,115
Fruits and veggies- 2 Bannanas 1 Peach and mixed veggies with dinner. For lunch I had just couple handful of mixed nuts, some craizans and a sports bar.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:22:20 AM by soccerluvof4 »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 02:53:23 AM »
8/7/2019
Weight 205.6
Had a bannana in the morning and a large Fresco Salad at lunch
9644 came up short and probably will today but over the 7 days am confident will average over 12k a day
Sleep about 5 3/4 Hours. That too after today should improve a bit or at least I hope.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 05:06:50 AM »
I'm in.

Just started really working out again now that I live in a building with a gym and pool.

I've spent the last several years rehabbing some serious injuries, so a lot of physio, and light walking, but nothing at all intense or vigorous and as I'm aging, I'm really feeling the loss of strength.

I have to be extremely careful with my joints, but I'm cautiously back to lifting, "swimming", and stair climbing (I'm on the 18 floor).

It's "swimming" in quotations because of my shoulder, I'm not allowed to do a proper stroke, especially not repeatedly, so it's mostly just kicking, which is easy with a snorkel.

I may also reintroduce some Pilates. I used to love it.

No weight loss goals, I lost a ton of weight and have kept it off for years. I fluctuate +/- 15lbs depending on my meds, but BMI always stays between 19-22.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 05:21:49 AM »
Thanks for starting this!

Work out - 3 times a week for cardio, 2 times a week for yoga/strength training
Run a mile under 10 minutes on the treadmill (yes, this is slow, but I just started running)
Continue eating at least two bags of Aldi salads a week (Southwest and Asian are my favorite)
Add more fruits and veggies to lunch and decrease other stuff
I gained 10 pounds this year but I still have a normal BMI.  So I just want to maintain my weight and not get higher (I'm approaching 40, and I now see the difference age makes or seems to make on metabolism!)

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 05:26:33 AM »
8/7/2019
Weight 205.6
9644 came up short and probably will today but over the 7 days am confident will average over 12k a day
Sleep about 5 3/4 Hours. That too after today should improve a bit or at least I hope.

So, I'm curious, how will the sleep improve after today?  I have just started getting regular sleep and it's amazing. I'm getting 7-8 hours a night.  I feel groggy though, like I slept too much. 

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 05:36:42 AM »
8/7/2019
Weight 205.6

So, I'm curious, how will the sleep improve after today?  I have just started getting regular sleep and it's amazing. I'm getting 7-8 hours a night.  I feel groggy though, like I slept too much.

If you want to sleep in a "super scientific" way, try sleeping for 6 hours or 7.5 hours, the bottom line is that it should be divisible by 1.5 hours. You can also try GABA before sleep, it's not working for me but it may help you have a deeper sleep in a shorter time.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 05:49:13 AM »
Will a fit bit (or some other device) determine how much sleep I'm getting and wake me up at 6 or 7.5 hours?  Otherwise, I'm not sure how to gage that, as I don't know when I fall asleep!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 02:50:16 AM »
Will a fit bit (or some other device) determine how much sleep I'm getting and wake me up at 6 or 7.5 hours?  Otherwise, I'm not sure how to gage that, as I don't know when I fall asleep!

There are so many different Fitbits out there but most of them gauge your actual sleep time. Like if I take a nap it wont gauge that but when I go to bed at night it will gauge that. Best thing is to look them up on line and search for what you want to do as there all pretty inexpensive. I have had mine for two years and it really helps.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 02:51:28 AM »
Woke 3:45
Steps 13,904
Fruits and veggies not so hot but better today
Weight 205.2

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 02:54:41 AM »
Good to have you all @Neustache , @kaposzta , @Malkynn ! the key is to check in as much as you can. There should be many others joining from previous challenges as well so we can get into good conversation and push each other on!

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 03:00:51 AM »
Since my last post on Monday I had a 12 minute run to test my progress (2.03 kms, small improvement, but finally broke through the 2km limit).
Today I reached a new milestone, my first run over an hour, it was 9.55km in 1:07, so the pace was worse than on Moday, but I felt much better and I felt I could go on for a couple of minutes easily. I'll have a short, 25 minute run tomorrow, and then my next big target is 10km, maybe still this week.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 04:41:17 AM »
Yesterday:
Lifted weights and did a 15 min cool down in the pool of kick-only laps.
I normally take the stairs back up to my apartment, but they are painting this week.

I have to ease up on some of my exercises because my spine is complaining a bit, the problem is, I have no idea which exercise is aggravating it.

Today I'll probably do physio, maybe go for a walk.

I don't know about you guys, but for me, the challenge is to always try and create systems and remove barriers to the behaviours I'm trying to form into habits.

It's been a process of trying to systemize gym gear + pool gear, without having to carry too much because with my shoulder injuries, it's not fun to do 18 flights of stairs carrying a bag.

So I now workout in a bathing suit and gym shorts and I've ordered microfiber towels for less bulk and weight, plus quicker drying.

If a pattern isn't seamlessly easy, I know myself, I just won't do it. I've learned that I have to hack my own behavioural patterns in order to get the outcomes I want.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 02:27:51 AM »
@Malkynn for me its pretty much always trying to work around things that dont hurt. My hips and knees were hurting so much from working on a side gig the last couple days for me to get steps in and exercise because I was wabling so bad I basically took 3 small walks. If I dont do anything for a day or two then all well be back to fine but I cant sit around. Pool would be great but its just to boring. So i just do what I do.

8/9/19
woke 2:45 fell asleep in my chair probably around 8pm. Need to get back to my normal sleep schedule but always a challenge.
Weighed 206.8 I couldnt stop eating yesterday!
Fruit and veggies. I had two bannanas and carrots with Dinner so nowhere near enough
17,773 steps

Yesterday I was in alot of pain in both hips and knees and had alot of errands to run. Had to meet a guy for some legal documments so walked parking lot while waiting for him. Then my # 3 DS had soccer practice so walked during that in the later morning and them my youngest son had practice at night so walked during that. Dont ache as much this morning but again have alot of errands. Maybe I will go for a morning walk or head to gym and get on elliptical. See what the day brings

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 06:30:47 AM »

Fruits and veggies- 2 Bannanas 1 Peach and mixed veggies with dinner. For lunch I had just couple handful of mixed nuts, some craizans and a sports bar.

If your goal is to lose weight, “adding” fruit into what you are already eating is not a good plan. While healthy, fruit still has plenty of calories. Usually around 80-150 calories per piece of fruit, depending what it is.

While your lunch may sound small, the couple handful of nuts was probably 400ish calories, craizans around 150 calories, and sports bar another 300 calories or so. That’s probably around 800 calories total, which is a pretty significant amount for anyone, especially with a goal of losing weight in mind.

That lunch alone was probably near 800 calories with no “real” protein source.

On the other hand, 8 oz chicken is around 275 calories and a cup of rice is about 210 calories.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 02:34:11 AM »

If your goal is to lose weight, “adding” fruit into what you are already eating is not a good plan. While healthy, fruit still has plenty of calories. Usually around 80-150 calories per piece of fruit, depending what it is.

While your lunch may sound small, the couple handful of nuts was probably 400ish calories, craizans around 150 calories, and sports bar another 300 calories or so. That’s probably around 800 calories total, which is a pretty significant amount for anyone, especially with a goal of losing weight in mind.

On the other hand, 8 oz chicken is around 275 calories and a cup of rice is about 210 calories.

Thats a good point and my # is going the wrong way! Thanks.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 02:38:11 AM »
8/10
Woke 3am
Weighed 207.8 Breakfast dinner night probably not the best
Steps 19,934
Fruits and Veggies not enough to jot

Yesterday I walked for 2Hrs 20 minutes which made up most of my steps. Well at least about 15k of them. Still sore in the hips, knees and my right foot but getting better. I usually make that walk in under 2 hours.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 07:06:14 AM »

Love this!

End of yr goal:
155lbs
1mile under 10 minutes

I heard many of you that have a fitbit. I do have one too, I would love to have some friends and run some challenges; if you like, PM me your username/email!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 07:11:12 AM »

Thats a good point and my # is going the wrong way! Thanks.

Yep, as someone who lost A LOT of weight, it's really critical to conceptualize that just because food is "healthy" doesn't mean it's good for weight loss.

Mixed nuts and dried fruit/sports bars are "healthy", especially for hikers who need a compact source of a lot of extra calories, but a terrible snack for someone who is trying to lose weight.

That said, I never did well with counting calories, so my approach was to flood every meal with raw vegetables. Unlike fruit, it's extremely hard to overeat calories in raw veggie form.

Not great for the food budget, but fantastic for the waistline, DH and I were going through kilos of produce each week. Most meals were chopped peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, shredded carrot&red cabbage, avocado, sometimes a bit of a whole grain like sorghum, and a small portion of fish, chicken or pork.

Sometimes I would sprinkle nuts and seeds, sometimes artichokes or jalapenos, and always different spices and fresh herbs for flavour. No dressing.

You get very very full eating a giant pile of roughage, and a bowlful rarely adds up to more than 100 calories, depending on how much avocado you add.

It's only once I switched to vegetarian that I started paying more attention to portion control, but I was already down 50lbs at that point.

AFM, didn't do anything yesterday, not even physio, which is not ideal. May hit the gym today, may just do physio. I have a very busy day.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 10:06:50 AM »
Well, I will throw my hat in here.  I started reducing carbs in April and have lost about 6#.  I'm not terribly concerned about my weight per se, but would like to drop another 9#, which would put me where I was a few years back.  Up until the past few weeks I've been more focused on diet than formal exercise (I ride, garden and walk, so not too sedentary anyway), but as I've adapted to lower carbs, my energy level has come up and I've been wanting to exercise more.  Actually headed out for my first run in a while this morning.  Main goal is to be fit enough to ride my big, leggy 3 year old horse through any shenanigans, and have the balance and core strength for more refined riding on the well-trained horse I'm riding for my friend.

Goals:
Eat low-carb, except for my homegrown root veggies in small portions.
Green vegetables daily.
Drink 75-100 oz of water per day
2 strength workouts per week
On office days, walk at lunch and use my standing desk and/or balance stool at least half the day
Work up to running 10 miles/week by November

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 04:48:40 PM »
I'm in...the continuation.

Goals

1. Finish half marathon training and the actual event (October 19).
2. Add more cross training: 6 swim, 8 bicycling, and 4-8 weight training sessions/month.
3. Continue cleaning up diet to include more vegetables and less sugar/junk.

Probably more than I can realistically handle currently but any progress is good!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 09:39:03 PM »
I want to lose 5 vanity pounds and get visibly defined abs again. I honestly don’t know what to do. I already workout almost everyday a mix of cardio and weights and I dont own a car so I walk a lot and now I’m doing MyFitbessPal again. The only thing that seems to work is eating 1k calories a day and going around hungry. I have started cutting carbs but I love love veggies.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2019, 03:54:39 AM »
Welcome to all the new comers!

I lost 60lbs when I first fire'd about 4.5 years ago not by changing so much what I ate or calorie counting or cutting back on carbs but simply Walking, eating less at meals and just healthier choices and not making it part of our entertainment so much. I have put about 15 back on over the last year simply by getting a bit lax but I will just go back to doing the things that worked in the past. At 6'3 even at the weight i am at I am on the thin side especially with my frame But psychologically being below 200 means something to me.

8/11/19

woke 3:45
19,517 Steps

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 03:28:02 AM »
8/13

Woke 4am only because I had to otherwise would of slept longer
19,931 steps

No fruit plenty of veggies. Travel day so will see how i do

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 09:31:04 AM »
Love random health goals. :) New years gets too much attention! My "big picture" goal is to keep my body in physical, mental, and artistic shape so that I can do satisfying activities like martial arts and circus without feeling excessive guilt, anxiety, or pain.

Targetable goals:
  • Decrease shoulder, elbow, and hip instability
  • Get 8-10 hours of sleep each night
  • Cut out weekday coffee :(
  • Exercise regularly
  • Play regularly

I had this *complex* schedule planned out about how I was going to incorporate these activities into my day once school started up again. (I will have a 3/4 time schedule, meaning I more or less work half days every other day.) I was going to go to martial arts twice a week, fit in aerial conditioning and artistic exploration, physical therapy exercises and cardio, and on and on.

But then, two weeks ago, I randomly decided to start strength training. I think somebody linked to the AllPro beginner's strength program on another thread, and I've adapted that for the gym in my building and the limitations of my body, and it's been going great! SO has been tagging along, and our workout looks like this:

10 minutes warm up (him: running; me: physical therapy exercises and light rowing on the erg)
30 minutes adapted program
A few handstands for good measure

Doing this every other morning is simple and mindless, yet it tackles a lot of my goals. Recently I've gotten really into aerial straps, so once a week of play/aerial conditioning will balance.

Now I just have to cut back coffee again.

8/13/19
Sleep: 8 hours 19 min - woke up just shy of 8. Will need to push back bedtime 2 hours because next week I have to start getting up at 6 again.
Exercise: did a strength workout
Coffee: 1 cup, but *just* 1. Will be doing tea after this.
Play: Not sure if I'm up for martial arts today. If I go, it'll be to the big class in the evening instead of the small class now, so I can get lost in the crowd...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2019, 04:14:19 AM »
Welcome aboard @Ynari

8/14
15,082 Steps

Was pleased to get that many steps in on a travel day!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2019, 12:49:26 PM »
I was pretty ill coming out of the weekend, so my only exercise consisted of sometimes getting off the couch. I did go for one 5k walk, but it was a rather slow one.

Today I'm better, so did my usual: a bunch of physio, lifted weights, swam for 20 minutes, and climbed 18 flights of stairs.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 04:50:35 AM »
@Malkynn glad your feeling better!

8/15/19

13,071 steps
Weight 204.4

Did a shorter walk as I still have pain in my hips and knees. Got up late this morning and right hip is bugging me so will see how it feels in a bit before I decide to walk or not.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 03:05:33 PM »
11,000 steps today according to my phone, which is about 3000 steps too many for my knees. I have about a 7000 step limit before I feel like I'm pushing it.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 07:48:48 PM »
Did our workout in the evening instead of morning because we slept in (8 hr 38min!) No coffee. Work starts tomorrow and next week will be chaos, so I need to be good about sleep. It's bed time now.

Be kind to yourselves. Joint pain is no fun. I think my joints are adjusting to the bench presses, my elbows aren't complaining like they did the first week. I think maybe the muscles caught on to the fact they have to DO something.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 01:22:23 AM »
Thank you for starting this thread!

I got a fit bit and it is still in the box. So, this week's goal is to find, activate, and actually start wearing the thing . . . small steps.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 03:30:54 AM »
@Zamboni I think once you start using the fitbit you will find it motivating! Good luck and welcome

8/16/19

Did a morning walk my longer one as I felt fine but still not where i need to be. See what today brings. I really need to get a walk in as tomorrow I am leaving for most of the day.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 06:26:11 AM »
Did our workout in the evening instead of morning because we slept in (8 hr 38min!) No coffee. Work starts tomorrow and next week will be chaos, so I need to be good about sleep. It's bed time now.

Be kind to yourselves. Joint pain is no fun. I think my joints are adjusting to the bench presses, my elbows aren't complaining like they did the first week. I think maybe the muscles caught on to the fact they have to DO something.

Yeah, I have some fairly serious injuries and an inflammatory disease, so I have to be extremely careful. I've learned the hard way not to push anything if it hurts.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2019, 03:31:15 AM »
8/17/19

Steps 17,948
Weight 205.8

Looks like I gained .2 lbs each day this week. Anyhow I did go for a walk yesterday over 2 hours and FINALLY my knees and hips are seemingly getting back to normal. Travel day today so will do best i can.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »
I had to instruct SO when we started lifting not to cheer me on. "One more! You can do it!" seems supportive but my limits are my limits, I'm not blocked by energy or willpower. I wonder if that's true for other people and everyone thinks powering through pain is normal...

Yesterday (8/16)
No coffee
6hr 44min sleep
Did some handstand drills and stretching
Moved a bunch of tables and desks around a classroom.

Today (8/17)
7hr 52min sleep
Morning strength workout. Felt more difficult than usual - maybe because it's only been a day and a half, not two days, since last workout. Or the sleep thing. Fatigue is tricky.

Thinking of getting back into gelatin tea at night. It's supposed to help with sleep and joints. I just haaaate jello.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2019, 11:47:39 AM »
I'm sticking to my diet and getting my 2x a week strength exercises in.  Also doing pretty well at using my balance stool and standing desk at work and walking at lunch.  Just not finding the time/energy to run just yet since I spend about 3 hours at the barn riding and caring for horses most weeknights.  Haven't shifted any weight this week, but haven't gained either, so I will just keep on keeping on.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2019, 04:37:54 AM »
8/18/19

Steps 14,523
Weight 206.6

With 8 hours of driving yesterday was happy to make sure I still got that many steps in. Still gotta cleanup diet a bit to get the weight number moving.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2019, 07:13:31 AM »
Good work on your goals.

I’m going to try to exercise at least 4 times per week and lose one pound per week, starting today.

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2019, 02:32:30 PM »
In the last 10 days I managed to run 5 times (40 mins, 75 mins, 12 mins, 45 mins, 41 mins). I should have tried to squeeze at least 1 more run in, but whatever, next week I'll try to run 5 times, as following: 40 mins, break, 60 mins, 40 mins, break, 40 mins. 88 runs to go.
Push-ups: I don't feel it, I made 2x20 yesterday, but I was too weak to do more. I guess 4 months without going to the gym has taken its toll on my strength...
Pull-ups: no progress

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2019, 06:29:03 PM »
In the last 10 days I managed to run 5 times (40 mins, 75 mins, 12 mins, 45 mins, 41 mins). I should have tried to squeeze at least 1 more run in, but whatever, next week I'll try to run 5 times, as following: 40 mins, break, 60 mins, 40 mins, break, 40 mins. 88 runs to go.
Push-ups: I don't feel it, I made 2x20 yesterday, but I was too weak to do more. I guess 4 months without going to the gym has taken its toll on my strength...
Pull-ups: no progress

That's an awesome track record (eh?) of runs!

Pull ups are hard to jump straight into. Can you count a negative version? Jump up to the top of the pull up, then lower down to a count of five. They are actually really brutal, but doable even if you don't have a pull up yet.

Today, we hauled the rig out because some acquaintances in the building said they wanted to try silks. Ended up juggling and doing trapeze/straps for over an hour without anybody showing up. It's a little demoralizing, but nice to play at full height once in a while.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2019, 04:33:53 AM »
8/19/19

My day was basically an off day I tried to get my steps in and ended up just under 8k. Severe storms blew in so I got about an hour in and thats fine I needed one to rest my joints.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2019, 03:46:17 AM »
8/20/19

17,984 Steps

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2019, 05:22:37 AM »
Got back from a few days in the woods with my father.
Gym/swim/stairs/physio yesterday, bloody feeling it this morning, yikes.

This is slowly starting to become a routine and not feel like a chore to work it into my day. I might start separating out swimming and gym though, as what I love about having them in the building is that it's easy to go, but when I do both, it's ever so mildly cumbersome bringing gear for both.

I think I might start swimming in the evening, which is when DH does.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2019, 03:32:31 AM »

This is slowly starting to become a routine and not feel like a chore to work it into my day. I might start separating out swimming and gym though, as what I love about having them in the building is that it's easy to go, but when I do both, it's ever so mildly cumbersome bringing gear for both.

That is nice and convenient having that all in the Building.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2019, 03:34:07 AM »
8/21/19

22,102 Steps

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2019, 05:23:28 AM »

That is nice and convenient having that all in the Building.

It's 98% of the reason I decided I wanted to move here.

I'm a funny creature when it comes to motivation. I'm very very good at working very very hard, but what I put that energy towards is easily redirected if there's an annoying barrier in my way.
If there are too many irritations or little steps between me and exercise, I'll do something else instead.

Going to the public pool was a pain in the ass, especially in the winter with wet hair, going to the gym involved avoiding peak times, and even just going for a nice long walk is often treacherous in the winter and requires a ton of gear, and in the summer requires spackling on sunscreen.

I'm an impulse exerciser, if I can't easily be exercising within 5 minutes of the strike of the impulse, I'm not going to do it.
For me, it's all about removing barriers.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2019, 01:29:58 PM »
Sunday - did my workout anyway when I arrived and the gym and realized I hadn't changed from my flip-flops to gym shoes.
Monday/Tuesday - Walked at lunch, horse and garden activities after work.
Today: walked at work by myself.  I usually only walk with my husband, who works in an adjacent building, but he's home sick today, so going on my own took a little more motivation.  Gym workout tonight.

Weight is equal to the lowest I've hit a couple times over the past few weeks, but haven't gotten through that stopping point just yet.  I think it will happen soon.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »
Switched it up a bit and did physio and pilates today, might go for a swim, might do the stairs, we'll see.

Going to the gym and lifting weights always makes me feel strong, and then I try and do pilates and I feel like a piddly, inflexible weakling, lol.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2019, 03:11:30 PM »
Wins since Monday: (it is now Wedesnday)
Took a 1 hr nap today
Have gotten around 7000 steps every day this week
Strength trained on Monday and plan to tonight
Avoided coffee Monday/Tuesday

"Needs improvement":
Averaged 6.5 hours sleep per day (both due to early wakeup, and to playing games late at night)
Had coffee today
Sleep-triggered anxiety is making itself known and is making mountains out of every molehill

Maybe no more games after 8pm?