Author Topic: TO END OF 2019 FITNESS/HEALTH GOALS  (Read 17972 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: TO END OF 2019 FITNESS/HEALTH GOALS
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2019, 07:27:01 AM »
Planned cheat day on Sunday since we went to our favorite restaurant.  Now I'm up 3#, but it should be off by the weekend.  Walked the dog last night to make up for not walking at lunch. I'm very consistently getting my 2x strength workouts and 1 run per week, but can't seem to get a 2nd and 3rd run scheduled in on weekdays.  Other than Sunday, eating is good, though maybe too much of a good thing yesterday!

@soccerluvof4  maybe you can squeeze in some yoga or stretching?  That always helps me when I'm body sore - seems to get the lactic acid moving out of the muscles without too much impact?

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2019, 04:33:48 AM »
Planned cheat day on Sunday since we went to our favorite restaurant.  Now I'm up 3#, but it should be off by the weekend.  Walked the dog last night to make up for not walking at lunch. I'm very consistently getting my 2x strength workouts and 1 run per week, but can't seem to get a 2nd and 3rd run scheduled in on weekdays.  Other than Sunday, eating is good, though maybe too much of a good thing yesterday!

@soccerluvof4  maybe you can squeeze in some yoga or stretching?  That always helps me when I'm body sore - seems to get the lactic acid moving out of the muscles without too much impact?

Thats actually a good idea!! I havent been able to get my steps in and workout and I somehow pulled my left hamstring a bit painting go figure! Just want to get done with this fliphouse I am working on so I can get back to exercise.

9/18/19
9031 Steps

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2019, 08:57:30 PM »
Missed our first workout day in 7 weeks yesterday. Trying to focus on the pros (heck of a streak!) and not the cons (broke the streak). Starting to get harder to move butt to the gym now that it's not as novel.

I've also realized that I either have to go cold turkey on coffee or accept a more lax rule. I've been having one cup (maybe 2) on long days, and it just makes them longer.

Average sleep for the past week has been only 6.75 hours, instead of 7.75 the prior two weeks. I'm doing something wrong. I don't know what.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2019, 04:22:00 AM »
9/19/19

12,112 Steps
Didnt weigh in and still felt like crap /exhausted yesterday.

@Ynari my fit bit says I average about 6.5 hours of sleep which is up of late for me from 5.50 but if it wasn't for naps I'd be even more wiped out. I tried cutting back on coffee but I drink it at 4-430am usually so two cups don't really make a difference. I am caffeine sensitive for sure so I make sure though I don't get anymore after that but its as you know in some foods etc..

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2019, 03:25:51 PM »
Got my run in today; loving the cool fall air!  New low weight by just a fraction.  This afternoon I put on a pair of pants I've been avoiding all summer because they were uncomfortably tight back in May or so.  Now I need a belt to keep them from sliding down!  Will be thrilled if I can lose 6# more by the end of the year and then just maintain.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »
@soccerluvof4 I am thinking it is coffee related. It was really easy to convince myself once or twice a week to get a latte between work-school (7am-3pm) and grad-school (4pm-7pm) because they're long as hell days, and I justified it because "It's not even 4pm YET". But I think even that is too late in the day given how early I have to wake up. I'll try a 2pm cutoff, which effectively means no more daytime coffee because class field trips to the Keurig are not advisable...

Anyway, workout updates:
9/19 - went to work out again but was exhausted. My back was upset either due to sleeping funny or not having good form. Took a 3 hour nap later that day.
9/22 - took an extra day between workouts, and did it in the evening. Today felt a lot better.

SO got me a weighted blanket for my birthday. It'll be interesting to see if that helps with the sleep. So far I've fallen asleep to the same episode of Great British Bakeoff twice with it, so that's promising.

Phillip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2019, 08:16:58 PM »
I want to set the weighted pistol squat world record, which might sound difficult at first until you realize I'm probably like one of twenty people who actually cares. This guy set it at 155lb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4toWEVlYYJg

I got 95lb the other day, and it was the first time I tried it. I've been a serious powerlifter for ten years, so I think I can do it.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2019, 02:28:02 PM »
Back home finally and ran for the first time in years last Saturday. I walked a lot this summer to prep for the 5k, and now it's time to actually get running. I'm sore and tired but I'm proud of myself for getting out there and doing it. I'm going for another run this afternoon.

Good luck with your goals everybody!

Phillip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2019, 06:40:26 PM »
Good luck, E.T.! Walking improves cardiovascular fitness more than most people know, and it's way better for your joints anyway.

Kinda related, kinda not: Started incorporating chickpeas into my diet since they're the cheapest protein I can find, and I'm ASTOUNDED at how full I feel and how nutrient-dense these little legumes (beans? idk) are. Gonna make a hummus out of them soon.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2019, 03:38:35 PM »
Thanks @Phillip! That video was cool, that must take so much balance. Good luck with the powerlifting!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2019, 03:41:43 PM »
Hey all! I've been MIA a bit. Just havent had much energy but I did force myself to get out and get my steps in yesterday and doing pretty good today.

Yesterday 9/25 18,109

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2019, 06:31:41 PM »
Hi all,

I’d love to join this challenge.  I had so much work travel over the summer that I feel a bit out of sorts.  Here are my goals over the next couple months:

Walk at least 5,000 steps/day
Yoga 2-3 times/week
No drinking on weekdays (unless out at an event)
Average 7.5 hours of sleep

That seems like a good start.  We’ll see how I do!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2019, 04:16:16 AM »
Welcome @PacificaFog  and Good Luck!!

9/27

Yesterday I got 14,022 Steps in
Weighed this Morning 204.4

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2019, 04:55:19 AM »
9/30/19

Felt good to get on the Eliptical this weekend while traveling at hotel and do some walking

9/28-13,430 Steps
9/29-15,224 Steps

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2019, 07:41:07 AM »
Missed my workouts for the past week, sadly.  Had too much going on with my horses, and then started fighting a cold at the end of the week.  Planning to get back at it on Wednesday.  At least the horse training I'm doing currently involves quite a bit of walking and a bit of jogging.

Not going to weigh myself until I feel like I'm back on track.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2019, 03:52:15 AM »
10/2/19

Yesterday I got to the Y for an hour and added to my steps on Elliptical and got some walking in so 12,668
Was 203.7

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »
Just got back from family weekend visiting my oldest at college. I really need to get back on track. We did do a LOT of walking since we had a couple days in DC as well; 90,000+ steps last week overall. I still haven't gotten back to running or yoga but soon I hope. Came back to a firestorm at work...can't wait to pull the RE trigger but it's going to be a few more years...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2019, 04:12:12 PM »
Well, I am in the runner's thread, but my running has taken a back seat due to hip pain.  At the same time, my favorite kettle bell gym closed down.  So I'm sort of re-grouping.

Goals: keep regrouping.  Come up with a new plan.

1.  I've been swimming instead of running.  Back in the pool!  My goal is to swim at least 2x a week.
2.  Use the YMCA!  Before the KB gym shut down, I had 3 gym memberships.  We didn't go to the Y often (family membership) so the cost per use was $$.  I'd like to get the total # of individual visits to 21 each month ($5 each).  (If we go for a family swim, that's 2,3, or 4 "visits" depending on how many of us go).
3.  Keep lifting.
4.  Get back to running, but cut back to 2x a week.
5.  Weight.  Sigh. I've gained about 8 lbs in the last year.  I'm fairly certain some of it is muscle because of the lifting.  So, I don't really want to worry too much about it.  I wouldn't mind losing about 5 lbs.  It's hard tho, when it's "easy" to maintain, like now, my BMI is 25-26.  Eh well.

So, I've been doing well the last few weeks. Sept had 19 individual visits to the YMCA.
1. Two weeks ago: swim, swim, yoga at home, BodyPump at the Y, walk, walk
2. Last week: walk, swim, BodyPump, swim, walk, BodyPump, swim, walk
3. This week: walk, BodyPump, swim, walk (and the rest of the week: swim,  BodyPump, walk)

When the hip is better, I'll do 2x a week running (basically, dropping Tues swim).

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2019, 05:09:18 AM »
Welcome @mm1970

10/3/19

So yesterday I added another 10 minutes to the elliptical then walked the track a bit. Trying to work my way back up to what I use to do.

Steps 13,017
Weight 205.2

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2019, 04:07:27 AM »
10/4/19

8,067 Steps. Travel day so didnt get a workout in

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2019, 05:59:48 PM »
Met all my goals for the past week!  I read once that it’s easier to meet daily goals than goals that are a couple days a week because you can’t just say, “I’ll do it tomorrow.”  I’d say that’s certainly been true with my walking goal.  Tuesday I had an incredibly challenging day at work and wasn’t anywhere near 5,000 steps when I got home, but I forced myself to go out for a walk before bed.  Really proud of myself!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2019, 08:22:51 AM »
Missed my workouts for the past week, sadly.  Had too much going on with my horses, and then started fighting a cold at the end of the week.  Planning to get back at it on Wednesday.  At least the horse training I'm doing currently involves quite a bit of walking and a bit of jogging.

Not going to weigh myself until I feel like I'm back on track.

LOL, this week has been a bust.  I really underestimated this cold, and it's been all I can do to get to work (did take a sick day) and take care of my horses this week.  This is the first morning I'm feeling somewhat OK.  In the meantime, my dad showed up for a visit, so I'm hosting him, which always means eating ice cream. At least he is a low-maintenance guest. If I'm still feeling decent this afternoon I'll go for a short gym workout.  I did venture to weigh myself on Friday morning and just had two extra pounds that I think are mostly bloat from being sick.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2019, 03:42:32 AM »
10/7-22,495 steps
10/6-6,079
10/5-8537
10/4-19,117

Slowly working them back up but my steps got mixed up on my last post so not sure what that was about. Anyhow right now so thats that.

Phillip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2019, 05:27:35 PM »
Good luck, E.T.! Walking improves cardiovascular fitness more than most people know, and it's way better for your joints anyway.

Kinda related, kinda not: Started incorporating chickpeas into my diet since they're the cheapest protein I can find, and I'm ASTOUNDED at how full I feel and how nutrient-dense these little legumes (beans? idk) are. Gonna make a hummus out of them soon.

Pretty easy 100lb pistol squat:

https://imgur.com/a/JNyVmri

Not gonna lie, it's going to be really hard to add 60lbs to this. I know I have 130lb in me by December, though, for sure.

Minimum goal by 2020: 130lbs

Stretch goal by 2020: World Record at 160lbs

Wish me luck!

Edit: This is also something I don't want to push TOO hard, seeing as I'm on one leg and all. It doesn't make up the bulk of my programming. It got a compliment from one of my friends though, and he's a world class decathlete! :)

Double edit: Also, I'm ACTUALLY growing out the stache for MAX STRENGTH GAINS lmao:

https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/7154232-phil-sykora
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:32:57 PM by Phillip »

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2019, 06:56:30 PM »
10/3 Jogged .6 miles with hills around my block
10/4 jogged .6 miles with hills
10/5 jogged .6 miles with hills and 4 hours of amusement park walking
10/6 - no exercise
10/7 jogged .6 miles with hills

Now that the weather has cooled off we are enjoying jogging in our neighborhood versus driving 10 minutes to the gym. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2019, 04:07:17 AM »
10/9/19

16,105 Steps
Weight 206.8

Did 75 minutes on the Elliptical. Still not getting the diet part dialed in yet. Uggh

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2019, 10:56:44 AM »
I started running again last week. I'm definitely starting over...I did one mile last Friday and 1.1 today. I haven't made it to any yoga classes yet but I have been doing some yoga at home. Weight is still crap. I really need to get back to meal planning. I'm hoping to take a stab at that this weekend. We're working on adding more veggies right now. Checking in, though, to keep some accountability going on.
10/8 weight up yesterday, ugh, 180.2.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »
For the week:
Thurs: swim (1200 yd, I was tired and kept sucking down pool water, so bailed early)
Fri: BodyPump at the Y
Sat: Nothing.  First Sat day off in forever and ever (had to be at the beach at 6:15 am for a school function)
Sun: 4.5 mile walk, then took a kid to the pool for swimming fun
Mon: BodyPump at the Y
Tues: TRACK TUESDAY.  First run in 3.5 weeks, just getting started slowly with easy 200m repeats for 30 min
Weds: Hip / Core workout for running, and walked 2 miles

So, here's the thing. I have this friend-not-friend.  You know, an Instagram friend (saw her posts, started following her).  She's local, and a runner, and a "not fast" runner to boot, so I obv love her.  So I started following her on Strava too.  And here we are, I've never spoken to her one on one but we've yelled/waved hi at races AND it turns out, her older kid just switched to my younger kid's school - same grade, different classroom.

Anyway, she has a goal to hit 1000 miles of running this year, and it means that because of a surgery she had earlier, she has to do 30 miles a WEEK till the end of the year.  And I said, on the IG post "damn, I've never done more than 28".  She asked if that was my pep talk.  Ha!

I decided that I should try to do the same - with the caveat that I am NOT trying to run 30 mi a week (see: hip injury), but simply to get 30 miles a week on my Garmin with all movement.  However, that's still a lot (about 10k steps a day, and I sit on my butt a lot at work, and I don't wear the watch at the pool).

So, it's week 1!  I've hit about 9700 steps a day so far.

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2019, 04:16:48 PM »
Met all my goals for the past week!  I read once that it’s easier to meet daily goals than goals that are a couple days a week because you can’t just say, “I’ll do it tomorrow.”  I’d say that’s certainly been true with my walking goal.  Tuesday I had an incredibly challenging day at work and wasn’t anywhere near 5,000 steps when I got home, but I forced myself to go out for a walk before bed.  Really proud of myself!

That feels so true! I find our every-other-day workouts much easier to stick to than a 3-times-a-week schedule, because the lack of flexibility defeats my internal arguments. "Did I work out yesterday? No? Then I HAVE TO work out today."  Meanwhile, when I have to miss a workout due to life, I don't feel at all guilty or frazzled trying to fit in a weird makeup workout.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2019, 02:58:33 AM »

That feels so true! I find our every-other-day workouts much easier to stick to than a 3-times-a-week schedule, because the lack of flexibility defeats my internal arguments. "Did I work out yesterday? No? Then I HAVE TO work out today."  Meanwhile, when I have to miss a workout due to life, I don't feel at all guilty or frazzled trying to fit in a weird makeup workout.

Totally agree and i fell into that trap myself yesterday. Just gotta go everyday and do something if not even like you did a walk to keep the wheels turning.

10/10
6405 Steps because I procrastinated
211 Weight , Highest I have been in years. Sure alot of water weight but alarming never the less. Really struggling.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2019, 02:32:04 AM »
10/11/19
13,820 Steps
209.2 its a start. No going back

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2019, 06:39:53 AM »
10/12/19
7130 Steps
207.4 on weight.

PacificaFog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2019, 09:31:21 AM »
After a fairly painful dentist appointment this week, I’m adding flossing to my daily health goals.

Someone above mentioned meal planning as a health goal.  The Kitchn Website has a great Facebook Meal Planning Club where I’ve gotten some great inspiration and ideas!  I’ve definitely found that when I do my planning and shopping for the week on Sundays, my entire week is so much less stressful and I’m much less likely to go out for expensive/less healthy food.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2019, 04:01:28 AM »
10/15/19

Yesterday I did 75 mins on the Elliptical so got my steps up to 18,383 for the day  but weight 208.4 Now that I am done traveling on the weekends I am hoping that makes a difference.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2019, 05:32:59 AM »
Still very sick.

I've spent a little time in the pool, but mostly literally noodling around with a pool noodle. No gym, no stairs, nothing strenuous.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
Getting back on track! I have been back out running 3 times in the past week (met my goal), went to yoga once last week (goal was 2x but that's better than zero). Trying to make better food choices and walking more in general. Down three pounds since last week! I'm sure it won't always be 3 pounds per week but at least it is finally moving in the right direction. My goal is to get down to 169 by  the end of the year so that I am "only" overweight and not "obese"...not that I put a lot of stock into BMI in general since my fit, athletic son is "obese" because of his muscle mass, but I am shooting for the very high end of "normal" as my healthy target anyway, which is 140.

Weight:
10/8 180.2
10/15 177.2

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2019, 06:34:08 PM »
Still very sick.

I've spent a little time in the pool, but mostly literally noodling around with a pool noodle. No gym, no stairs, nothing strenuous.
This sucks.  I hope you get better soon.

Week 1 of "try and complete 30 miles a week" was 35.6 miles.  (I wear my garmin all the time...so it's all steps)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2019, 04:00:28 AM »
10/16/19

weight 205.0

Stepped up another 15 minutes on the Elliptical so did 90 minutes. Ate better and am going to try to keep improving that part of it. No more weekend traveling as I mentioned at least for awhile should help

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2019, 05:24:28 AM »
Still very sick.

Week 1 of "try and complete 30 miles a week" was 35.6 miles.  (I wear my garmin all the time...so it's all steps)

It really does suck.

I forgot to mention that I've been doing some great 5-7km walks though. With the colours this time of year, I would walk forever if my body let me.

So at least I'm doing that, which is so nice.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2019, 11:02:49 PM »
Miraculously haven't gained any weight the past few weeks.  Feeling almost recovered from the cold from Hell and eating is back on track.  I'm off work and doing some heavy yard work, so regularly scheduled exercise will have to wait until next week.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2019, 03:27:40 AM »
10/17/19
13,005 Steps yesterday all from working outside replacing windows.
Did not weigh in

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2019, 02:07:56 PM »
Still very sick.

It really does suck.

I forgot to mention that I've been doing some great 5-7km walks though. With the colours this time of year, I would walk forever if my body let me.

So at least I'm doing that, which is so nice.
Gosh I miss the colors of autumn.  And the cooler weather.  Grew up in the northeast, but live in So Cal now...so we get a very mild version of fall and Oct usually is hot.  I also love walking and the combo I could also do forever.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2019, 08:10:32 PM »
Wow, I actually hit a new low weight of 170.8.  So close to the 160's, where I should be.  Trying to remember where I stashed my skinny jeans to see if they fit.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2019, 03:30:11 AM »
Wow, I actually hit a new low weight of 170.8.  So close to the 160's, where I should be.  Trying to remember where I stashed my skinny jeans to see if they fit.

Well done!!!!!!

10/19/19

Yesterday I got in 11,830 steps from running around replacing windows. Didnt get to gym but going to get some exercise in either walking or going to gym today, tomorrow or both!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2019, 03:40:47 PM »
I love reading this thread...keeps me motivated to keep moving. Although I haven't been posting, I got in most of my runs. Half marathon completed today. It was brutal...could definitely have done with more training.

New goal: keep running while the weather cools so I can have some time to get into better shape while not melting. Bonus if I actually manage to add swimming ~2X a week. There is a local rec center that isn't too expensive so hubby and I are planning on signing up the end of this month.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2019, 04:45:13 AM »
10/23/19

Yesterday
14,418 Steps got to the gym and did 75 minutes on Elliptical so that was a chunk of it.
This morning was 207.4

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »
Week 2: 39.8 miles.  This week might be tougher to hit 30, we'll see.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2019, 03:00:07 AM »
10/24/19

12,394. I got to the Y again yesterday and got 75 minutes in on the Elliptical. I would of had alot more steps but after leaving the Y i couldnt find my watch. Finally found it in pocket of my workout pants. Going early today so should get into at least high teens today I would hope. After the Y yesterday I was pretty much done though.

Didnt weigh myself but sure was hungry yesterday....

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2019, 01:52:34 AM »
10/25/19

Yesterday I got to the gym early morning did 80 Minutes on the Elliptical and day 1 of getting back into some resistance training. Ended day with 21,498 steps

Weight 208.6

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #149 on: October 26, 2019, 03:39:28 AM »
10/26/19

Steps 18,588
Weight 208.2

Yesterday I added another 10 minutes to the Elliptical so 90 in all and did some strength training. After that some steps came from installing windows.