Author Topic: Tidying Up on Netflix  (Read 4090 times)

frugalkristen

• Stubble
Tidying Up on Netflix
« on: January 01, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »
Just finished watching Tidying Up on Netflix - A great start for 2019!  I want to clean out my closets and think more carefully about what I bring into my house.  Great series!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: Tidying Up on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 07:23:59 PM »
Omg this is so exciting, I didn't know it was there! Have just added it to my list.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 07:54:36 AM »
Just found it yesterday and watched a couple of episodes. Marie Kondo is so tiny! I'm enjoying it, although finding it hard to believe none of them have heard of the idea of sparking joy before. Her book has been out for a good few years now and is so popular.

I also found and watched Consumed (also on Netflix) over Christmas and found it really excellent. That was what inspired me to move stuff around to a better set-up in my kitchen yesterday and it was just the icing on the cake when I sat down after doing it and saw that Tidying Up was on Netflix.

frugalkristen

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 03:28:59 PM »
Just found it yesterday and watched a couple of episodes. Marie Kondo is so tiny! I'm enjoying it, although finding it hard to believe none of them have heard of the idea of sparking joy before. Her book has been out for a good few years now and is so popular.

I also found and watched Consumed (also on Netflix) over Christmas and found it really excellent. That was what inspired me to move stuff around to a better set-up in my kitchen yesterday and it was just the icing on the cake when I sat down after doing it and saw that Tidying Up was on Netflix.

I'll have to look that show up!  Sounds interesting!

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 03:34:31 PM »
Gorged myself on it. I read her book a while ago and was a little skeptical because of some of the woo-woo in it. But then a few months back I decided to declutter my clothes and books her way (pile everything in that category in one pile), keep only what "sparks joy." It was eye opening how much I had that I really disliked, but felt bad getting rid of (e.g., a shirt I bought and wore once). Her system for folding clothes so you can see what you have all at once in a drawer is really great and useful. I'm going to do my kitchen stuff next.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 04:35:26 PM »
Gorged myself on it. I read her book a while ago and was a little skeptical because of some of the woo-woo in it. But then a few months back I decided to declutter my clothes and books her way (pile everything in that category in one pile), keep only what "sparks joy." It was eye opening how much I had that I really disliked, but felt bad getting rid of (e.g., a shirt I bought and wore once). Her system for folding clothes so you can see what you have all at once in a drawer is really great and useful. I'm going to do my kitchen stuff next.
The best two things I learned from her book were to accept my husband's stuff as his (and not try to secretly toss it) and how to handle my clothing.  I was able to get rid of expensive dresses that I didn't like or wear.  I was able to get rid of shoes that were uncomfortable.  All without guilt!  My wardrobe is much smaller, but I don't have the feeling of having nothing to wear. 

Thanks for letting me know about the show!  I'll have to log onto Netflix and check it out!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 05:27:04 PM »
Yes, I watched the first few episodes..my favorite part is when she 'greets' the home and introduces herself. Somehow I find that so touching..

I'm excited as we have been on a slow, minimizing journey, but I feel like my SO might be inspired if he watches one of the episodes with me.
Perhaps :) but I'm also just happy to be working on my end of things.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:28:48 PM by Serendip »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 06:20:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I read the book a few years ago, and have been rolling my shirts since then, but I could use a re-boot.

thatbrowncat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 01:43:45 AM »
I've read somewhere online that her book can be quite harsher when it comes to decluttering and tidying.
But I've found it quite the opposite when I watched the show.
Kondo-san is actually gentle when she's interacting with the families, and she doesn't give a condescending word when people express their difficulties in letting go of their items.
It's sort of refreshing compared to other shows I watch that involves decluttering.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 02:25:09 AM »
Her book isn't harsh as such, but she does sort of imply hers is the only way and that you must follow her process. Many people don't like that, it didn't bother me though!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 02:36:51 AM »
It's a while since I read the book but I don't remember finding it harsh at all. I think the only thing that annoyed me was her assumption that every woman loves to be feminine and have lacy, delicate clothes. Or something along those lines, as I said, it has been a while since I read the book.

I definitely liked that she was gentle with people. Actually, that was one of the things I loved about Consumed, as well. Just genuine help offered in a sympathetic way.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 07:45:41 AM »
I read the book, "harsh" seems like the exact opposite of how she writes, but she does advocate strongly for her technique. Really there's not much to the whole thing. You pick a category of your stuff, gather everything you have in that category in one place, evaluate what you have, pick out only the stuff that you really love (and not stuff that you keep for guilt or worry you might need it or whatever) and move on. She has an order to it, start with clothes, various categories, and then do sentimental stuff last.

But I do mini versions of the technique all the time. I gathered all my spices one day, discarded really old musty stuff, tossed some I never use but bought once for a recipe, combined duplicates, and reorganized. I think the big pile helps you understand that you have too much or duplicates or stuff you never use. Doing a drawer ay a time (as I've seen in other declutter blogs) leaves you with, for example only, too many pens spread across many drawers. You never do get on top of what you have in total. I have this struggle with my husband where he buys the same household cleaners over and over because they are split up between under the kitchen sink, in the laundry room, and in the main bathroom. He doesn't look in all the places. So, my next project is gathering everything in one place.

The goal isn't to achieve a minimalist home, it's meant to leave you with things that make you happy and enhance your life.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 02:16:09 PM »
I watched the first episode and I read about half the book (and skimmed the rest). I hated the idea that my socks are tortured because I don't fold them with honor....

I find some of her ideas great- keep what you need and makes you happy, get rid of the rest.

Regarding episode 1:

I had a hard time with the kitchen stuff -in the idea that you are supposed to sort "like sized items". I have always been into the functional triangle and keeping the things that are most commonly used nearest at hand and things that are less used higher up or in a bottom drawer or something. I also find endless little boxes kitchy. It may help in some circumstances and drawers but I don't think everything needs separation. They did not really discuss how to sort through stuff or how to decide what to keep in the kitchen. For instance, I make applesauce once per year and have an awesome apple peeler (antique spinning skewer style). It's enormous and only gets used once per year when I make 10 gallons of applesauce. Keep? Toss?

The garage: Their garage was filled with stuff and at the end, it was better organized. But what did they get rid of? It was hard to say.

My kid wouldn't part with anything. She loves all her stuff. Sometimes we focus on letting stuff go near holidays (there's no room for new birthday presents!) but in general this is hard.

I have to admit I had to judge the SAHM with 2 kids who couldn't be bothered to do the laundry. I'd be a little pissed if I was working 60 hours a week and had to do the laundry too while my spouse stayed home. The friction between the two of them was really palpable. I hope having a neat and tidy house really does help their relationship. They could use some therapy, too, I think.

I'll try to watch some of the other episodes as inspiration. The idea of heaping all my clothes on a bed terrifies me!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »
I just finished episodes 2 and 3.

Episode 2 was the hoarder lady with her nutcrackers and the baseball card spouse.

WOW did they have a lot of stuff. It made me itchy. And I wondered where all her Xmas stuff went at the end? She seems to have a shopping addiction and they both have hoarding tendencies. Sort of alarming. Mari seemed to handle it with grace and I hope they stick to what she taught them.

Episode 3 was the family in the small apartment. I really loved this episode - as a type A mom that works full time, I always put so much pressure on myself to do everything and get it all done and be perfect, etc etc. I really appreciated the way they showed the Mom being pressured to keep up those appearances and failing. They really managed to engage the kids and the husband in a positive way, I thought. It was also inspiring what they did in a small space!

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 01:19:08 PM »
Episode 3 was the family in the small apartment. I really loved this episode - as a type A mom that works full time, I always put so much pressure on myself to do everything and get it all done and be perfect, etc etc. I really appreciated the way they showed the Mom being pressured to keep up those appearances and failing. They really managed to engage the kids and the husband in a positive way, I thought. It was also inspiring what they did in a small space!

That whole family was so charismatic! I did get a little weepy-eyed about the mom feeling pressured. I guess that's what happens when you become a mom? You get emotional about reality television? Someone should tell you these things...

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 02:33:04 PM »
I've been enjoying it! I like the fact that she doesn't judge at all what the families want to keep or dispose of, and that they are realistic about the fact that this is a long process (I think at least one family took a couple of months.) I thought it was interesting that in several of the homes, things appear pretty neat and tidy--it's only when you start looking in closets and private spaces that you realize how much needs to be done.

With all these types of shows, I always wish we could go back a few months later and see whether changes took long-term. Some of the families, especially the ones cleaning out houses that represented decades of accumulation, seemed like they would likely stick with it. The family with the two kids in the small apartment--I would love to know about them. Families with kids have to be hard because you naturally have a lot of items coming and going as the kids grow in and out of clothes, activities, etc.

And yes, it inspired me to do some cleaning out. My situation isn't too bad because I cleaned out thoroughly before I moved three years ago, and I'm pretty good about one-in one-out, but I've still been finding items to clear away.

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 05:52:31 PM »
I really liked the series, although some the episodes my jaw dropped at all the stuff. (And I thought my parents’ place was filled to the brim.)  I can’t remember the episode no., but in one the wife was arguing with the husband about keeping all the extra clothes hangers post-purge. She said something like what harm are they going to do sitting in the garage. I wanted to yell, lady that’s exactly why your garage has all the crap it does. You’re missing the point of this exercise!

In contrast to all my judginess, I was impressed with Marie’s lack of judgement or criticism. She seems very sweet. I didn’t find the books harsh at all. Very insistent on following her process, but she’s not telling people what they should or shouldn’t have or how much they should have. So I found it very flexible.

It’s been a few years (since reading the books) and I’m still folding all my clothes in her method. I think the ‘everything has a place’ really helps make it a habit. But I’d also really like to see a ‘where are they now’ a few months or year later.

And yes, +1 to episode 3. I hope they are all still pitching in so mom’s not doing it all.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 06:42:21 PM »
The garage: Their garage was filled with stuff and at the end, it was better organized. But what did they get rid of? It was hard to say.

Marie doesn't require minimalism.  I think she even told the woman with the dress her grandmother bought her that she isn't there to make people get rid of things. Just that the things you have should be intentional. 

As for folding socks- my husband has had me do this for the past 15 years now (his folding system is remarkably similar, but not quite the same, as hers).  It really does help extend the lives of the elastic.  I still roll the baby socks though.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 07:27:06 PM »
I binged on this too. I liked the entire vibe & she didn’t make me feel guilty.

I find clothing difficult. I need to apply this method to them.
I can’t get rid of things that are too small because they spark joy.

But I will find it easier to start with the kitchen.