Author Topic: The Physical Therapy/Gentle Movement Accountability & Resources Thread  (Read 40074 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: The Physical Therapy/Gentle Movement Accountability & Resources Thread
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2023, 03:58:53 AM »
Saw this today and thought it belonged here. I can't seem to post the actual picture, so hopefully the link works.

https://twitter.com/nathanwpyle/status/1363143255739744262/photo/1

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2023, 07:11:54 AM »
If you are struggling,  maybe the prescribed exercises (all the sets and reps) are a goal to work up to both in habit and intensity.

Did a little of everything yesterday and the new stuff is slightly easier. 3/10 for the reps.

the_hobbitish

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2023, 07:48:10 AM »
I'm going to try the do at least the easy stuff method. I feel like I've been on the fits and starts track with exercise in general for years and yeah that's not really getting me anywhere except to a slightly messed up knee.

I did 1/3 PT sessions this week. I noticed a difference from last week when I did everything more often. My joints were very crunchy and more wobbly though luckily not more painful. My body is learning to use more of the little muscles that it's never bothered to use before. So that's good.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #303 on: January 13, 2023, 09:25:57 AM »
Did my exercises today and as a reward Southwest airlines sent the ~$2000 payment to more or less make us whole after the fiasco in December.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: January 13, 2023, 10:07:11 AM »
The link worked @Metalcat --I love Strange Planet

@dandarc --amazing. Imagine what you will be rewarded with today after your exercises :)

I have been waking up and doing my breath/stretch in front of the fireplace. It's a game changer since before the fireplace was difficult to turn on and now we have a remote switch. So it doesn't feel like punishment to get out of bed when I know I'm going to go sit in front of the heat and flickering light while it's still dark out :)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #305 on: January 13, 2023, 10:20:34 AM »
Been having such a rough time with illness lately - was feeling unwell again from Sun-Wed but was OK yesterday and managed to get all my stuff done plus a bonus walk for my still-sore back.

I wish I could figure out what is bothering my upper arms/shoulders. They are still aching and I have no idea why. Stretching them hasn't helped. Resting them hasn't helped. I don't do anything with them as far as I can tell that should bother them, and haven't started doing anything new with my arms. It's so odd.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2023, 05:06:54 PM »
X posted from my journal:

Pelvic floor PT is reallllly highlighting where I'm out of shape! I used to be so strong!* Now I do, like, two sets of split squats (lunges but where you don't move your feet) and I get so sore. Well, I'm making excellent progress on my "sneeze leakage" and also finding areas for improvement in my general strength, so win/win!

*Pre-pandemic, pre-fertility treatment and geriatric pregnancy, I was something of a gym rat and could squat my body weight

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2023, 08:33:49 PM »
Excellent Nathan Pyle/Strange Planet link!!! Love those comics.

Yes, make it easy and enjoyable until it's such an ingrained habit that it's no big deal to throw in the stuff you don't enjoy.

A decade from now, you will be better off if you did 6 months of lame, only marginally helpfully PT daily and then 9.5 years of solid PT every other day, rather than fits and spurts of diligent PT for a few weeks at a time here and there over a decade.

Until you crack how to make it a habit, you won't get much benefit. The habit matters more than the exercises at the beginning.

I'm really trying to internalize this. In the week I was on vacation and waiting for the first PT appointment, I pulled out old exercises for a different shoulder injury and did what I could (limited by pain and range of motion), and did them every day. Had *huge* decrease in pain and increase in mobility. Just from doing those things (which are not at all the same things that have been prescribed this time) faithfully: 3 sets of 10 reps every day for 7 days. Which I think reinforces and illustrates what you are saying.

And the doc was saying, when I asked about trying to fit in 5 sets every day, that I should be looking for moments of downtime and sneaking the stretches in. And his whole point is that the stretches are supposed to counteract the movements/positions held while working at a keyboard all day. So doing the *habitually* throughout the day would be the most beneficial way to counteract the issues. I'm hoping at some point I'll develop a sense of "I've been holding this position a long time, time to stretch." But so far, no dice.

About half the days, I do one set. I'm supposed to be doing 5 sets every day. The chasm between there and here just seems so wide. It's frustrating.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: January 14, 2023, 10:17:55 PM »
I wish I could figure out what is bothering my upper arms/shoulders. They are still aching and I have no idea why. Stretching them hasn't helped. Resting them hasn't helped. I don't do anything with them as far as I can tell that should bother them, and haven't started doing anything new with my arms. It's so odd.

Did some research about what could be the deal with my upper arms, and when I tried the suggested (very easy) exercises for the thing that seemed likely (biceps tendinitis), it felt pretty unpleasant. Now I'm wondering if this means "yup, that's it, you figured out the thing that's wrong" or if I'm doing something that's bad and wrong for me :-/ Hmm.

I stopped doing the shoulder exercises I was doing because I was afraid they were exacerbating the problem. But I did everything else on my list for the last two days. I've been feeling mostly fine since Thursday! Except kind of sore in a lot of places for no good reason. Inexplicable pain is my middle name.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #309 on: January 14, 2023, 10:35:46 PM »
Even though my PT exercises are teeny, tiny, I still managed to overdo them and blew out my knee.

It's been partially dislocating with most steps for the past two days. So yeah, I totally failed to assess my limits on those exercises.

Oh well.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2023, 06:42:10 AM »
Lately I have been intermittent about doing my stretches, which is really slack of me because they are all small things that can be done while I wait a few minutes for something. 

I've been better the last few days - basically because I can feel how tight I have gotten and want to not be tight.  Plus tight is bad for my knees and that is why I have these stretches in the first place!

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2023, 09:02:57 AM »
Just found this thread and ptf!  Thanks, @oneday!  I’m in PT for the effects of a sedentary work-driven life, namely back and knee pain caused by lack of work of my leg and core muscles and extremely tight and weak hip flexors.  The PT has helped a lot but I need to do the exercises more frequently and at home, not just at the PT gym.  I get lazy about making time to do them.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #312 on: January 15, 2023, 09:27:13 AM »
Just found this thread and ptf!  Thanks, @oneday!  I’m in PT for the effects of a sedentary work-driven life, namely back and knee pain caused by lack of work of my leg and core muscles and extremely tight and weak hip flexors.  The PT has helped a lot but I need to do the exercises more frequently and at home, not just at the PT gym.  I get lazy about making time to do them.

The key is to treat it like a Class A priority, not a Class B priority.

People tend to think that making something a priority means knuckling down and adding it to their already crowded demands in their life. But that means putting it at the top of the Class B priorities.

Class B priorities are things you are ultimately okay not doing. Class A priorities are the things you actually do.

If you are cool with not getting it done, that's fine, keep it as a Class B priority. But if you want something to change and want to improve the situation, or just prevent it from getting worse, you need to displace something out of the Class A priorities to make space for a new one.

What are some things you consistently get done that are not actually as important as your physical well being and future capacity for function?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: January 15, 2023, 07:24:22 PM »
I feel like this whole breathwork thing is helping my upper body open up.

Felt some very cool sensations in the sternal and upper rib area while doing something called Box Breathing. I feel like I'm able to hold myself more upright somehow.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2023, 08:12:16 PM »
Check-in for yesterday and today. Ankle bends, glute roll-outs, kickbacks and some hip bridges.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: January 15, 2023, 11:43:16 PM »
Got everything done for today, trying ice and voltaren on the shoulders. I tried ice yesterday and it seemed to help quite a bit, so I'm working on the assumption that it's mainly inflammatory. Still no idea why I'm having pain there, but I feel like I'm narrowing things down a little.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #316 on: January 16, 2023, 08:02:52 AM »
Keeping up with most of the exercises getting attempted each day.  I am really noticing how much Covid is still lingering.  I have been negative on a RAT for 8 days now, but back to feeling winded with just minimal exertion. Am really focused on the new breathing / relaxation pelvic floor muscle engagement exercises.  Am now able to actually connect with all the different muscle zones that PT has prescribed. That took about 14-18 tries. I am at 2/5 reps for the new ones and 8/10 for the older ones that were no effort for 5. I think the barrier now is concentration more than weakness.

It is what it is. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: January 16, 2023, 03:10:09 PM »
Yesterday did a good amount of all the stretches, and did all the exercises. No ice.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #318 on: January 16, 2023, 07:59:49 PM »
I did everything once today and some things were done more than once. I just need to get a routine going.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: January 17, 2023, 08:42:21 AM »
This morning's session went really well.
Feeling good!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #320 on: January 17, 2023, 07:07:13 PM »
I don't remember what I did yesterday, but did all the exercises today and two sets of stretching. Finally getting some movement of the scapula on two of the stretches, which is good progress after 8 weeks. Still more to go, though.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2023, 07:24:49 PM »
I'm back to doing all of my exercises daily, just being very careful not to dislocate my knee while doing them.

It is exhausting trying to do exercises with a leg that can't really move.

It's also horrifying to watch the muscle disappear almost daily from total lack of use. I move the leg around daily, but I do it with a leg lifting strap. My muscles are literally useless.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #322 on: January 18, 2023, 11:10:00 AM »
We were out of town for a short trip until Monday evening. So only have done the PT Friday and Tuesday recently. Trying to give myself some grace on this because this week is "hell week" for my volunteer stuff - hopefully last time ever I'm VP for Finance while we're putting the annual budget together.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2023, 11:17:08 AM »
I've got a four or five day streak going! Hoping my health has stabilized for a while and I can keep up the habit again.

Still trying out different shoulder exercises to see what feels like it might be helping. Ice every day and different exercises to see what feels helpful.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2023, 11:39:28 AM »
Yesterday I joined the gym. It was a great experience, and so different from other gym joining experiences I’ve had. The person who runs it took detailed information, ran me through everything (doing the entire workout he recommends including all the reps) at the pace he wants (slow), and then went through the equipment I was to use again at the end. He’s there most of the time, and doesn’t seem to be at the desk much at all. He also seemed to know everyone by name and the types of things they would be doing. So different from my previous experiences.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2023, 11:59:26 AM »
Struggling with life generally, and have not really had bandwidth to prioritize PT. But I have managed to do some PT every day, so I am just counting that as a win. Got through another life hurdle this past weekend, and I remain ever optimistic that I can ramp up the self-care (which I include PT in).

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #326 on: January 19, 2023, 09:43:36 PM »
Good job checking in @Metalcat @dandarc @Dollar Slice @deborah @FrugalShrew . I can tell you are determined!

Stretches yesterday, stretches today (not enough) and exercises. Still no ice.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #327 on: January 20, 2023, 12:15:23 AM »
According to my app, I have a six day streak going and I did 7 out of the last 8 days. (And I think it's possible I did 8/8 and just forgot to mark down the 8th, I was pretty much just chilling at home that day and wasn't feeling sick or anything. Dunno.) Haven't iced my shoulder yet today but I might still do it before bed.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #328 on: January 20, 2023, 06:12:43 AM »
Had my second PT appointment this week. Got the boring stuff removed and new, more challenging stuff added...and then proceeded to slack off for two days, ugh. Ran though the new routine last night and survived. Note to self: careful what you wish for.

I am part of a huge HMO. Sometimes getting appointments is a PITA and takes too long. The PT's next opening is five weeks from now, so I'm on a cancelation list for my next visit. OTOH, my PT is on an app on my phone. It's easy to use and doesn't pester me. It does provide the PT with a record of my activity. The PT says she doesn't check it because it's too easy to game the system, but it's useful for the patient.

Had an interesting sidebar chat with the PT, while she was applying some pressure and we had a moment to talk. She asked if I had a tennis ball at home. I told her how just the day before, on my walk, I had picked one up outside a tennis court and kept it. (I did so because it was still firm, but wasn't fuzzy any more, pus it was too far for me to throw back over the fence. I have never done this before, but for some reason, I thought it might come in handy.) She told me they have a patient who is in his 90's who has been doing PT there for decades. He periodically brings them a case of tennis balls, because they go through so many of them. Of course, he is their favorite patient. I'm sure he doesn't have to wait 4+ weeks between appointments. Since I volunteer at a thrift store, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for anything that could be similarly useful.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #329 on: January 23, 2023, 10:54:19 AM »
According to my app, I have a six day streak going

Ten day streak up in here! :-) Although not 100% consistent with icing, I'm doing all my exercises, such as they are.

I still can't figure out what to do with my shoulder, so I'm counting "tried to do something good for my shoulder". I keep thinking I'm making progress because it's feeling better for a day or two, and then I'll do something totally innocuous like reaching for the comforter while I'm in bed, and I hurt it all over again. I'm baffled.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #330 on: January 23, 2023, 12:23:33 PM »
I broke mine streak yesterday, but I put a bookcase together (lots of bending and stretching) so it counts as 1/2.   ;-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #331 on: January 23, 2023, 12:26:28 PM »
Well, I missed two days in a row, but I got back on the wagon yesterday. The new regime caused sore muscles, so I used that as an excise of take a couple of days off. I feel fine today, so that's encouraging.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #332 on: January 23, 2023, 12:27:57 PM »
My daily PT now consistently involves me yelling at my leg "JUST FUCKING MOVE YOU STUPID MUTHERFUCKER!!!"

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #333 on: January 23, 2023, 12:47:11 PM »
Glad to see for your journal that approach is actually working at least a little bit Metalcat.

Also good to see the streaks from others and such.

For me, I got released from PT on Friday - I was told "2 times per week to maintain, 3 or more to continue progress". They are keeping my "file open" for 6 weeks in case I think I could use more PT appointments, and I have a follow up with the clinic next week, but looking pretty good overall. Turns out that setback really was temporary a couple weeks ago - that version of leg hurt resolved quickly. So I did the PT today (didn't since Friday) and my excessively busy week is finally behind me, and June 30th is my last day, probably ever, on the board of this church. Not that I'm leaving or anything, but the board is definitely not for me. So I guess that I'm saying, while I'm sure there will be some variability even in a bad week I managed to do the PT workout twice - should be better going forward.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: January 23, 2023, 02:09:08 PM »
I am doing well.  All of a sudden some of the new exercises clicked. 

I totally get it @Metalcat.

Try as I might, for the longest time, I could not get the bilateral gluteals to do a damn thing. (Therapist had given me some exercises that could only be done with the glutes.) Slowly the right side would activate but the left side? Nope. I was working up a damn sweat without the bloody left knee leaving the floor.

After weeks, I could get the left side to move, but with five times the effort of the right. Now I can move the left as much as the right with a little more effort and a lot less endurance.

In October PT transitioned to very controlled use of pelvic floor muscles. Contracting on an exhale only, and mostly imagining them relaxing and releasing. I have learned that they don't respond positively to anything more than a gentle suggestion. When I start cursing all muscles go on strike.

And after months and months of some muscles being MIA, all of the them will now respond to some degree. And it is more like a switch flipping rather than a gradual thing. I can isolate the individual muscles. Before I was thinking about the instructions the PT was giving me. She was saying I was doing the thing but I didn't feel like I was doing the thing. Then a switch flips and I can do the thing and do it easily.

What is freaking weird is that some muscles will respond with pain, even though I am working on the opposite side. When I switch to that side, there is no problem / no pain.  I tried starting on the left side (which was the most injured initially) and I notice the right side clenching down. Although not as many areas, or as intensely. By the time I have done 10 reps of 6 different breathing/releasing/gently contracting sequences, nothing is sore. Just tired.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #335 on: January 23, 2023, 05:58:25 PM »
PT today went well. Everything I’m doing is ok. I’m supposed to exercise no more than every second day.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #336 on: January 23, 2023, 06:07:47 PM »
I am doing well.  All of a sudden some of the new exercises clicked. 

I totally get it @Metalcat.

Try as I might, for the longest time, I could not get the bilateral gluteals to do a damn thing. (Therapist had given me some exercises that could only be done with the glutes.) Slowly the right side would activate but the left side? Nope. I was working up a damn sweat without the bloody left knee leaving the floor.

After weeks, I could get the left side to move, but with five times the effort of the right. Now I can move the left as much as the right with a little more effort and a lot less endurance.

In October PT transitioned to very controlled use of pelvic floor muscles. Contracting on an exhale only, and mostly imagining them relaxing and releasing. I have learned that they don't respond positively to anything more than a gentle suggestion. When I start cursing all muscles go on strike.

And after months and months of some muscles being MIA, all of the them will now respond to some degree. And it is more like a switch flipping rather than a gradual thing. I can isolate the individual muscles. Before I was thinking about the instructions the PT was giving me. She was saying I was doing the thing but I didn't feel like I was doing the thing. Then a switch flips and I can do the thing and do it easily.

What is freaking weird is that some muscles will respond with pain, even though I am working on the opposite side. When I switch to that side, there is no problem / no pain.  I tried starting on the left side (which was the most injured initially) and I notice the right side clenching down. Although not as many areas, or as intensely. By the time I have done 10 reps of 6 different breathing/releasing/gently contracting sequences, nothing is sore. Just tired.

Muscles that won't move are assholes.

Weirdest fucking feeling in the world.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: January 24, 2023, 10:48:12 AM »
I'm keeping up with my PT and haven't missed any scheduled days OR any days of my 30 day yoga challenge.

I'm not sure I'm getting great results from the PT? My iliotibial band still hurts and I still pee sometimes when I sneeze. Maybe it's less?

My wrists do seem to be healing, though, so that's something. I hardly ever need the spica brace anymore. I actually left it at work from Friday to Tuesday and only really wished I had it like once, and then I did ice instead.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #338 on: January 24, 2023, 07:47:03 PM »
I'm not sure I'm getting great results from the PT? My iliotibial band still hurts and I still pee sometimes when I sneeze. Maybe it's less?

Maybe check in with your professional, if you haven't in a while? They should let you know if your healing times are expected to be long, or maybe take a different approach with the therapy if results are not as anticipated.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #339 on: January 25, 2023, 07:13:15 AM »

Maybe check in with your professional, if you haven't in a while? They should let you know if your healing times are expected to be long, or maybe take a different approach with the therapy if results are not as anticipated.

Exactly this. Have you communicated to them your lack of progress and your frustration? Do they seem like they have a good handle on how things are progressing? A good plan of attack if they aren't? Or is it just more of the same and watchful waiting?

If PT is going nowhere you have to do something about it. Either kick your PT in the ass to do something or find a new PT who will. 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #340 on: January 25, 2023, 08:51:16 AM »
Still keeping up my streak, including remembering to ice last night even though it was chilly.

I had my neurologist appointment yesterday... I originally made it about something else but was able to bring up my recent spate of unusual symptoms (including the "my hips and shoulders all simultaneously started hurting for no reason" thing since it was happening concurrently with a bunch of purely neurological stuff) and they're sending me in for a bunch of unpleasant testing. So... that's... good? I guess? They seemed a little alarmed.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #341 on: January 25, 2023, 09:32:40 AM »
Punching in. Did Monday, skipped Tuesday, Did Wednesday. Which means I'm already at "maintain" for this week; lower back hurt right after the workout today but a couple dangles and some heat and I'm fine (I do still work Monday-Thursday so eventually I'm driving in and happened to grab the car with heated seats).

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #342 on: January 25, 2023, 10:10:08 AM »
Wonderful PT appointment.  She could feel so much improvement.  And what would take five or six breaths to get a release was done in one or two this week.  Folks - I am getting there. 

She suggested I start cautiously doing both left and right muscles at the same time if I am getting the phantom referrals.  It is probably my brain saying 'hey, we normally fire symmetrically' .

The measure of too much is more than one day to recover.  Pushing the baseline higher! WOOHOO!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #343 on: January 25, 2023, 10:57:14 AM »
Wonderful PT appointment.  She could feel so much improvement.  And what would take five or six breaths to get a release was done in one or two this week.  Folks - I am getting there. 

She suggested I start cautiously doing both left and right muscles at the same time if I am getting the phantom referrals.  It is probably my brain saying 'hey, we normally fire symmetrically' .

The measure of too much is more than one day to recover.  Pushing the baseline higher! WOOHOO!

In certain exercises, the offside muscles are doing a lot of work to stabilize your body.  So it isn’t unusual to feel muscles engaging on that side.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #344 on: January 25, 2023, 10:58:10 AM »
I'm taking a day off of PT today.

I fucked my leg in my sleep last night. I experimented with lying on my side on my good leg and woke up with my bad leg VERY VERY ANGRY.

Just trying to get through today in some orientation that doesn't make my brain explode.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #345 on: January 25, 2023, 11:21:11 AM »
Yesterday I did 12.5k steps and my PT, which I had skipped on Monday. Today,  I have 7.7k steps in so far and I am feeling it. Should I do the PT anyway? I've never done this before and I'm not sure how to discern between prudence and inertia. I acknowledge that I'm dealing with far less than many others, I'm not trying to be a whiny baby and hope I don't come off as such.

For reference, I typically do 10k 3x a week, so 12.5 was not a huge difference. I just meant that I did something besides my new PT regimen.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:07:59 PM by Dicey »

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #346 on: January 25, 2023, 11:39:28 AM »
Today,  I have 7.7 steps in so far and I am feeling it.

I'm hoping you forgot the "k" ;-)  Otherwise you might be posting this while laying on the floor halfway to the bathroom...

It's OK to try doing only some of the exercises (the easy ones, or the ones that avoid the hurty parts) or less reps, or less weight/intensity, or something like that, if you're feeling iffy about it. I think that's a better approach than skipping PT altogether, if you're supposed to do it daily. But it's hard to say exactly without knowing what exercises you're doing.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #347 on: January 25, 2023, 11:42:17 AM »
Yesterday I did 12.5k steps and my PT, which I had skipped on Monday. Today,  I have 7.7 steps in so far and I am feeling it. Should I do the PT anyway? I've never done this before and I'm not sure how to discern between prudence and inertia. I acknowledge that I'm dealing with far less than many others, I'm not trying to be a whiny baby and hope I don't come off as such.

For reference, I typically do 10k 3x a week, so 12.5 was not a huge difference. I just meant that I did something besides my new PT regimen.

It's a process of learning your body's signals.

I usually try to push through and do PT and then see if it makes things worse on the second day. Often PT makes pain less.

Just try and pay close attention. The more you learn the little signals of your body, the more effective your PT and all exercise will be.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: January 25, 2023, 11:48:30 AM »
Yesterday I did 12.5k steps and my PT, which I had skipped on Monday. Today,  I have 7.7 steps in so far and I am feeling it. Should I do the PT anyway? I've never done this before and I'm not sure how to discern between prudence and inertia. I acknowledge that I'm dealing with far less than many others, I'm not trying to be a whiny baby and hope I don't come off as such.

It's a process of learning your body's signals.

I usually try to push through and do PT and then see if it makes things worse on the second day. Often PT makes pain less.

Just try and pay close attention. The more you learn the little signals of your body, the more effective your PT and all exercise will be.
My PT person defines overdoing it by taking more than a day to recover.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #349 on: January 25, 2023, 01:28:44 PM »
Did my PT today, focus on exercise ball exercises for core and hips.  I have been working out every weekday at the gym. But now Spouse’s schedule doesn’t allow a Wednesday gym session.