Author Topic: Target FIRE: 2017  (Read 449842 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: Target FIRE: 2017
« Reply #750 on: March 08, 2017, 06:24:11 PM »
Okay,  It is fully public knowledge now.

My last day of work is March 10, 2017.

I had to give 6 weeks notice and chose that day because:
1)  There is a slight (slim) chance that I might recieve a bonus for last year, despite terminating.  We will see.  Bonuses are discretionary and the pay is received March 9th (and locked decision made by Feb 22).  I was a good person and told my boss before the locked in date.   Really,  I have been working from home so much, and not very effectively some days, it feels like I already received my bonus, so this may help my boss allocate more funds to those that really deserve it.

2)  Stock options vesting dates were March 3, and March 4, 2017.   May as well stay to get those.  This is the first time that I have ever been in the money on stock options, despite receiving 7 issues to date between my hubs and I, and letting them expire "under water" with 3 prior companies.  So Worth a shot.  Note - exercised them and will receive $12k.   Stock price lifted only 10% since I received the first issue 4 years ago.

3)  I pushed off taking vacation when I did a trial leave last year for 3 months.  This reduces my pay for last year (and taxes), and increases it this year.  I get a 6 week payout after my last day, plus the 1 week of salary pay delay.

4) My employment letter said I had to give 1 week per year of service, so 6 weeks notice.  I have been sitting on this news for nearly 6 weeks..

What is next?
[/color]

A)  My boss asked me to stay on as hourly callup to work on projects where they don't have any other staff with my skills.  One is for a client moving to a new warehouse 5 miles from my home (aka biking distance instead of the 90 minute commute downtown). What a change from having to fly to Toronto or even Phoenix for work.  I said yes, and we will see what happens.  I can always say no later.

B)  Excited.  I am booking a 1 month trip to France in July.   DH and DS will join for the first 2 weeks, and DD will stay with me for the next 2 weeks for slow, airbnb room rental while biking and painting type travel.  She graduates High School in June, so a reward of sorts.  We have never been overseas travel, only to the USA about 3 times in the past 20 years for vacation.  Usually just camping and driving vacations so we have saved up a large (to me) vacation fund.  Time to use it!   Note-- trying to use Aeroplan points would have cost us 60k points and $620 each, versus booking flights for $1000 each.  So hard to use Aeroplan.. We will save them for a shorter trip next year.. maybe to see friends.

C)  I plan to keep teaching one night course per semester with the local college.  It is only 5-6 hours per week, and I can earn $9k pre tax for it.   In slow years, that will be all tax free, and it has a pension plan, too.   I started this 18 months ago to see if I would like it as a part time money option in FIRE.

D)  I plan to start a lifestyle business (aka part time), on financial planning and financial coaching.   I finished my exams and obtained the Level 1 towards the CFP.   Next is finishing the capstone course and exam (by June this year), and documenting 3 years of work experience to get the full CFP license.  I can work under the level 1 license until then.

This is a big change.  I used to think that only special people were cut out to run their own businesses, and that  special snowflake wasn't me.  Now, with FU money and retirement covered, I have the confidence to just try.  Hey, I have been very successful in life at many things so far, so why not my own business.   Just gotta do it, and keep the effort up!   

Business license and wepage domain all set up, and some of the marketing strategy.  I just need to make the intiial webpage and start to do it.   JUST DO IT.

E)  Fear -- small one, is that I won't actually do much on the business, after all.  But enjoy life instead, then confess to DH that I was lame about it all along...   I don't think that will be much of an issue. 

F)  I have promised my husband that I would earn $30k per year (he is still working), to top up and allow us to still spend quite a bit.   That is supposed to come from the lifestyle business and the teaching for now.   He wants this extra padding as my youngest is still in Grade 9 and the oldest is just graduating now... and he is a nervous nelly.  Indeed.

We are retiring on his salary and whatever I make.  His salary alone means a 75% drop in our income, so I presaved the education funds, and retirement funds, and a bit of a cushion.  We are keeping the mortage because we don't want to move and it is still ghastly high, but we have now $600k equity in our home.

-->  My secret weapon is that I have pre-saved up about $70k in advance to cover the first two years and startup costs... by working that teaching job as a second income, and not spending last year's bonus money despite maxing out the RRSP's and such.

G)  What I have done so far to prep for my FIRE -- I bought discounted gym passes for the city rec centre special promotion -- 25 passes for $45 dollars,for their new (but small) facility.   They have a weight room, summer pool, and yoga / Zumba classes, and a drop in gym.  Time to get fit!  STOP THE POUNDS.  RELEASE THE WORK STRESS.

H)  I have agreed to ramp up my volunteer activities by stepping onto our church council and attending the school PAC meetings.  We will see what that brings.  I also want to rejoin choir.  These are things you just can't do when you have a lot of business travel.

I)  Another objective (after increasing health, volunteer, and my spiritual awareness) is to start to attend a lot more local meet ups and you know, meet people.  Gosh.  I have "friends"... but, like, only 2 from the past 10 years and both from work, and I have only done non-work things with them 3 times in 5 years.  All the other friends are from longer ago, and I barely call them, and they live in cities at least an 8 hour drive away.   I just don't entertain or get out and THAT WILL CHANGE.     (trumpets sounding)   I have definitely put too much time into being a sole income provider, raising kids, and earning money without much pause.  Time for balance and living a little.

Going to meet ups will also help me raise awareness of my business in the community, and maybe get clients or referrals.

J) I have also put myself down to give a "how to save for post secondary education" seminar at the local high school in early april.  Yay!  step one to the business bookings.

:-)

Can't stop smiling....  :-)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #751 on: March 09, 2017, 05:45:32 AM »
Last month I was supposed to schedule a career dialogue with my supervisor. I just can't make myself do it! Every time I sit down to fill out the form and come up with my 5 year career goals etc. I just smile to myself and put the form back in my to do pile. I don't think she wants to hear my real 5 year plan!! And I'm not sure I can summon the energy to create a 'what if I was dependent on this job for income' 5 year plan.

I'll file this under "Problems I'm thankful to have".

gahhhh

same here. I think the conversation with my boss is supposed to be this week. I'm on vacation at the end of next week so if i can stall then  I may be able to push it until April. Even then might be a bit early to put my plan as "to get the hell out this summer". Don't htink its what they are looking for.

Goldilocks: sounds like the have the glidepath well thought out!! good stuff..

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #752 on: March 09, 2017, 05:51:47 AM »

B)  Excited.  I am booking a 1 month trip to France in July.   DH and DS will join for the first 2 weeks, and DD will stay with me for the next 2 weeks for slow, airbnb room rental while biking and painting type travel.  She graduates High School in June, so a reward of sorts.  We have never been overseas travel, only to the USA about 3 times in the past 20 years for vacation.  Usually just camping and driving vacations so we have saved up a large (to me) vacation fund.  Time to use it!   Note-- trying to use Aeroplan points would have cost us 60k points and $620 each, versus booking flights for $1000 each.  So hard to use Aeroplan.. We will save them for a shorter trip next year.. maybe to see friends.

Hi Goldielocks, I'm also going to France. Three friends and I have an airbnb in Nogent-sur-Marne, just outside of Paris.  Where are you going to be?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #753 on: March 09, 2017, 07:42:32 AM »
Okay,  It is fully public knowledge now.

My last day of work is March 10, 2017.

That's fantastic!
Thanks for sharing all your plans! So exciting!!

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #754 on: March 09, 2017, 09:41:44 AM »
Last month I was supposed to schedule a career dialogue with my supervisor. I just can't make myself do it! Every time I sit down to fill out the form and come up with my 5 year career goals etc. I just smile to myself and put the form back in my to do pile. I don't think she wants to hear my real 5 year plan!! And I'm not sure I can summon the energy to create a 'what if I was dependent on this job for income' 5 year plan.

gahhhh

same here. I think the conversation with my boss is supposed to be this week. I'm on vacation at the end of next week so if i can stall then  I may be able to push it until April. Even then might be a bit early to put my plan as "to get the hell out this summer". Don't think its what they are looking for.

I got a huge reprieve on this - I was promoted last spring and one of the biggest perks to my new (mostly meaningless title) is that I no longer have mandatory annual reviews. Unless you are a major screw up, the bulk of your review is discussing your career goals.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #755 on: March 09, 2017, 09:59:48 AM »

gahhhh

same here. I think the conversation with my boss is supposed to be this week. I'm on vacation at the end of next week so if i can stall then  I may be able to push it until April. Even then might be a bit early to put my plan as "to get the hell out this summer". Don't think its what they are looking for.

I got a huge reprieve on this - I was promoted last spring and one of the biggest perks to my new (mostly meaningless title) is that I no longer have mandatory annual reviews. Unless you are a major screw up, the bulk of your review is discussing your career goals.

But how do you discuss your career goals for 30 min if your only goal is to escape within the year?

On that note, I'm starting to think I may come back for a little under a year after my leave of absence. It largely depends on how my finances are working out, my aversion to work by then, and whether my houses have sold. That'll technically put me in the class of 2019, but I'm starting to come to terms with that. After a year off maybe it won't be so bad. The biggest down side is that I'll be working through another winter!! Ugh.

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #756 on: March 09, 2017, 10:23:31 AM »

Threshkin                October 31, 2016  Confirmed
Metta            (at 55) January 1, 2017   Confirmed
MrsWhipple       (at 32) January 1, 2017   Confirmed
FIRE me                  January 3, 2017   Confirmed
Zineth           (at 49) January 27, 2017  Confirmed
MarciaB          (at 55) January 31, 2017  Confirmed
MsGreenStash     (at 51) February 1, 2017  Confirmed
dabears847               February 17, 2017 Confirmed
Cottonswab       (at 30) March 1, 2017     Confirmed
Goldielocks              March 10, 2017    Confirmed
Dragoncar                March 15, 2017
Easypeasy        (at 35) March 15, 2017   
Myhotrs          (at 38) March 31, 2017   
Oblivo                   March 31, 2017
John Doe         (at 50) April 1, 2017     Part time
FrugalAussie             April 20, 2017
Daisy            (at 48) April 28, 2017
oneyearfromnow           April 28, 2017
freedom47                April 28, 2017
MandyM           (at 38) May 1, 2017     
Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) May 1, 2017       Part time
Remote_Landlord  (at 39) May 8, 2017
Penguin159               May 12, 2017
Rachael Talcott  (at 42) May 21, 2017
BNgarden         (at 58) May 24, 2017
RedmondStash             May 31, 2017
Jack06           (at 42) June 1, 2017     
Fairviewite      (at 27) June 1, 2017
Romag                    June 1, 2017
Financial Asc.   (at 39) June 1, 2017
Rahby1us                 June, 2017
Charlie Foxtrot  (at 41) July 1, 2017
Bigchrisb        (at 35) July 3, 2017
Freedom17        (at 38) July 28, 2017
UnleashHell              July 28, 2017
MonkeyJenga      (at 31) Fall 2017
Zephyr911        (at 39) Fall 2017
SachaFiscal      (at 41) Dec 1, 2017   
Jim2001                  Dec 31, 2017
Mf3333           (at 56)                   OMY
SwordGuy         (at 59)                   OMY
Mrs. SwordGuy                              OMY
Noble_goal                                 OMY
JoJo             (at 43)                   OMY
Cookie78         (at 39)                   OMY

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:35:41 AM by Freedom17 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #757 on: March 10, 2017, 04:56:03 PM »

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #758 on: March 10, 2017, 05:31:52 PM »
Best meme ever. Congrats!!!

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #759 on: March 10, 2017, 08:43:31 PM »
Thats awesome, congrats! Happy Friday to everyone still working, one more week done. I can count my remaining in-office work days on my digits!!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #760 on: March 10, 2017, 10:47:18 PM »

Hi Goldielocks, I'm also going to France. Three friends and I have an airbnb in Nogent-sur-Marne, just outside of Paris.  Where are you going to be?

Well,  realize that DH, DS, DD have never been overseas...a bit touristy to start..  So Paris, Loire Valley, Brittany, Lille and Vimy Ridge, detour to London via the Chunnel. (is it geeky that DH is as excited about the Chunnel as DD is about the art museums?)  DH and DS fly home, then DD and I go to Burgundy for two weeks (or maybe somewhere else, not sure).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #761 on: March 10, 2017, 10:50:41 PM »

Woohoo!

I was feeling a bit flummoxed today -- elated and a bit depressed / uncertain at the same time.  How about you?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #762 on: March 11, 2017, 12:44:53 AM »

I was feeling a bit flummoxed today -- elated and a bit depressed / uncertain at the same time.  How about you?

Yeah, I totally didn't expect it, but I was a bit nostalgic that I wouldn't be coming back there.  I was even bored at work, since there wasn't really anything for me to do besides wait for happy hour.

I'll be in France too!  Early May!

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #763 on: March 11, 2017, 06:10:59 AM »

Well,  realize that DH, DS, DD have never been overseas...a bit touristy to start..  So Paris, Loire Valley, Brittany, Lille and Vimy Ridge, detour to London via the Chunnel. (is it geeky that DH is as excited about the Chunnel as DD is about the art museums?)  DH and DS fly home, then DD and I go to Burgundy for two weeks (or maybe somewhere else, not sure).

Cool!  Some day I will do the Chunnel. 

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #764 on: March 13, 2017, 07:28:50 AM »
I've had very mixed emotions lately - so anxious to quit this job, but also feeling a bit ridiculous about that excitement - I have a really great job. I'm paid quite a bit, I have clients that I consider friends, great benefits, and a boss that rarely bothers me. I know its normal to have mixed emotions, but I also know that a job like this is fairly abnormal. I guess it is all good motivation to leave on the best terms possible in order to leave the door wide open in the future. Having the option of returning will hopefully make it feel less drastic.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #765 on: March 13, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »
I've had very mixed emotions lately - so anxious to quit this job, but also feeling a bit ridiculous about that excitement - I have a really great job. I'm paid quite a bit, I have clients that I consider friends, great benefits, and a boss that rarely bothers me. I know its normal to have mixed emotions, but I also know that a job like this is fairly abnormal. I guess it is all good motivation to leave on the best terms possible in order to leave the door wide open in the future. Having the option of returning will hopefully make it feel less drastic.

This happens to prisoners. They get institutionalized. Don't know how to live in the world anymore after so long inside.

https://livingafi.com/2014/01/20/fear-of-freedom/

I already knew everything that was said in that post...but I still needed to read it. And I need to keep reminding myself that although its a good job, its not a fulfilling job for me.

DollarDominatrix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Because You've Been Naughty with Money
    • Dollar Dominatrix
« Reply #766 on: March 13, 2017, 01:18:27 PM »
I am GIVING NOTICE this Wednesday!!!

I am so nervous and excited.

It's amazing how consistently happy this has made me. For WEEKS I've been walking around with a silly smile on my face. :)

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #767 on: March 13, 2017, 03:53:16 PM »

This happens to prisoners. They get institutionalized. Don't know how to live in the world anymore after so long inside.

https://livingafi.com/2014/01/20/fear-of-freedom/

I already knew everything that was said in that post...but I still needed to read it. And I need to keep reminding myself that although its a good job, its not a fulfilling job for me.

This is exactly how I felt. I had nothing to *complain* about...but just needed to move on.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #768 on: March 13, 2017, 03:54:46 PM »

It's amazing how consistently happy this has made me. For WEEKS I've been walking around with a silly smile on my face. :)

Woohoo! Good for you. Add yourself to the big list!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #769 on: March 14, 2017, 12:56:29 AM »

Awesome!

RedefinedHappiness

• Stubble
« Reply #770 on: March 14, 2017, 06:18:27 AM »

Nice!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #771 on: March 14, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
I made an entry here before, but I'm not on the list!

It's official--my last day will be June first, and I'll be FIRE'd at 50!

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #772 on: March 14, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »
Adding MandalayVA to the all-star list!

Dragoncar                March 15, 2017
Easypeasy        (at 35) March 15, 2017   
MandalayVA       (at 50) June 1, 2017

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #773 on: March 14, 2017, 12:19:40 PM »
DollarDominatrix's - what will be your last day? We need to add you to the list!

DollarDominatrix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dollar Dominatrix
« Reply #774 on: March 16, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
DollarDominatrix's - what will be your last day? We need to add you to the list!

March 24th! I am so NERcited!

DollarDominatrix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dollar Dominatrix
« Reply #775 on: March 16, 2017, 08:47:59 AM »

March 24th! I am so NERcited!

Woohoo!

I am really worn out from explaining everything to people. "What are you doing next? Oh so you're going to be a stay-at-home-mom? What do you mean retired? So how will you make money? You know you could make money by..."

But aside from that I continue to be elated.

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #776 on: March 16, 2017, 08:52:52 AM »

Dragoncar                March 15, 2017    Confirmed
DollarDominatrix         March 24, 2017
Easypeasy        (at 35) Late 2017

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #777 on: March 17, 2017, 02:21:50 AM »
I've had my bonus this week, a pay check and I'm off work for 10 days.

the number of paydays left is in single digits.  That feels good.

or i might quit early.. I keep looking at the amount of money i am earning now and it will be tough to turn that spigot off..

but life....

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #778 on: March 17, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »
I'm going to have to push my April 28th date out.

I'm really liking the sound of 7/17/17 with its number symmetry and all.

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #779 on: March 17, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »
Only a few weeks left before my bonus and profit sharing but man are they making it hard for me. New management, new roles for everyone this year and morale is off a cliff. We're all sitting around making spreadsheets instead of talking to clients, planning sales, ie DOING OUR JOBS. Changed our pricing to basically use our monopolistic power to extract huge increases from clients (who we ironically call partners now.)

Clueless management all drank the cool-aid and don't understand why we are all pissed off. The only reason I just never come back after the 31st is my team and how much that would screw them. So basically management wins by limiting resources to the point we work to help each other. All the changes are horrible long-term but they look like rock stars for now.

jack06

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #780 on: March 18, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »
Verbally informed my superiors of my leaving on August 1st (so pushing back two months from my earlier June 1st estimate), but now it is official. I was a bit nervous, because they are almost family. I've been working there for most of my career, and was an early employee so I've seen the company grow from nothing to several hundred employees. I'm relieved it is said!

-Jack

Jack06           (at 42) August 1, 2017

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #781 on: March 19, 2017, 11:35:08 PM »
Huh,  guess what?  I realized that I don't have to go to work tomorrow.

Weird and wonderful.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #782 on: March 20, 2017, 05:15:27 AM »
Huh,  guess what?  I realized that I don't have to go to work tomorrow.

Weird and wonderful.

Congrats!

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #783 on: March 20, 2017, 09:53:01 AM »
Posting to follow, and to say a hearty congratulations to the Class of 2017!

Not sure when I'll be "graduating" yet, but I'll be taking my inspiration from this thread!

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #784 on: March 21, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
A friend today was upset because he lost his job. Later he told me he has a net worth of $8M and he has very moderate spending habits. I asked him why he's still working. He doesn't want his family to worry. I need to show him the path.

$8M?! I'm speechless. Please show him the path. He can be teletransported to the finish line! Can you also tell him that family will always worry regardless of how much we have so it doesn't really matter that they worry?

I know of 2 ppl with that kind of net worth. One retired 5 years ago, bought his parents two houses in the Caribbean's (where he's originally from) so he has places to go in between his traveling; the other just retired last year after going part-time for years to use up all his accumulated vacation days. He sold his house in the valley and now live in his fancy Tahoe lake-side vacation home permanently. The possibilities are endless!

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #785 on: March 21, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »
I sent him quite a few articles, including the MMM website and http://earlyretirementextreme.com/are-you-suffering-from-careerism.html. I asked him if he'd heard of the 4% rule and he said no.

Sadly he found another position already so he's plugged straight back into the matrix. I guess some people just like it in there, reminds me of Cypher https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5y68ErffgM

Heh, I was thinking about the blue pill when I read your first paragraph. I just thought of another person who is playing golf all day. You don't even need to be mustachian when you accumulate that much. Maybe I will never understand your friend's reasoning 'cause I don't even want to have that much...

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #786 on: March 22, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
I'm starting to waffle on my 5/31/17 date. I may have a case of the OMYs, or at least the SMMs (six more months).

The thing is that I really like my job, and that it has good health insurance. I care more about the insurance than the money, tbh. That's an area of life that feels very uncertain over the next several years because of the political goings-on in Washington. I honestly have no idea how to predict health-care costs because everything is in flux politically around premiums, coverage, the ACA, etc.

I realize I could quit this job, try out FIRE, and then get another job if necessary. But honestly, this is one of the best jobs I've ever had, and my BS tolerance has dropped way down over the past few years. I'm not sure I could tolerate a lesser job at this point. There's so much dysfunction in IT and in the games industry that drives me nuts. I have left more jobs in that field than I've stayed in for a year or more. And I also have some health issues that, while not expensive, make full-time work nearly impossible, and there are precious few part-time gigs.

Anyone else here dealing with this? This year just seems more fraught with uncertainty than most for a FIRE year.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #787 on: March 22, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »
I'm starting to waffle on my 5/31/17 date. I may have a case of the OMYs, or at least the SMMs (six more months).

The thing is that I really like my job, and that it has good health insurance. I care more about the insurance than the money, tbh. That's an area of life that feels very uncertain over the next several years because of the political goings-on in Washington. I honestly have no idea how to predict health-care costs because everything is in flux politically around premiums, coverage, the ACA, etc.

I realize I could quit this job, try out FIRE, and then get another job if necessary. But honestly, this is one of the best jobs I've ever had, and my BS tolerance has dropped way down over the past few years. I'm not sure I could tolerate a lesser job at this point. There's so much dysfunction in IT and in the games industry that drives me nuts. I have left more jobs in that field than I've stayed in for a year or more. And I also have some health issues that, while not expensive, make full-time work nearly impossible, and there are precious few part-time gigs.

Anyone else here dealing with this? This year just seems more fraught with uncertainty than most for a FIRE year.

I hear you. I'm not exactly waffling (although I am cutting to PT and not outright quitting), but I find that I am telling fewer and fewer people and talking about it less and less. Because I feel slightly ridiculous to want to leave this above average job. The only solution I have is that I am working to make sure that I leave the door wide open when I do quit. No bridges burned and as much honesty as I can reasonably give so that if I ever decide to come back it can be an option. (seeing as we are about to re-hire someone that quit a year ago, this is a realistic possibility)

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #788 on: March 22, 2017, 09:25:13 AM »
MandyM           (at 38) May 1, 2017       Part time     
RedmondStash                               OMY

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #789 on: March 22, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »
Everyone's situation is unique but I'll say one thing. There is always a special circumstance to justify delaying for another year. I went through this when I bought one of my investment properties. First work was unstable so I waited another year. Then the financial crisis hit. Then I realized there would never be an ideal time and if that was my criteria I'd never buy.
So its not a question of OMY. It's a question of do you want to retire or not. Because the world is always going to have uncertainty.

Fair point, Freedom17. It's true that nothing is certain or guaranteed, and there will always be a reason to worry about the future. I am genuinely uncertain as to whether I want to retire or not; my job provides a lot of satisfaction, purpose, and pleasure, but freedom is so alluring. Thanks for the perspective.

I hear you. I'm not exactly waffling (although I am cutting to PT and not outright quitting), but I find that I am telling fewer and fewer people and talking about it less and less. Because I feel slightly ridiculous to want to leave this above average job. The only solution I have is that I am working to make sure that I leave the door wide open when I do quit. No bridges burned and as much honesty as I can reasonably give so that if I ever decide to come back it can be an option. (seeing as we are about to re-hire someone that quit a year ago, this is a realistic possibility)

Yeah, that's my plan too, Mandy. I have a solid relationship with my manager & team, and I plan to leave on the best possible terms, whenever that finally happens.

I'm honestly all over the board on this one. FIRE-ing at the end of May still has a strong appeal. But yeah, I probably am in OMY limbo for now. I'll reevaluate in May. Time is really flying by this year.

Thanks, folks.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #790 on: March 22, 2017, 02:24:46 PM »
That's the amazing thing. He's a very frugal down to earth guy. I think it's more about family pressure than money or lifestyle. His family are worried he will be bored. He clearly longs to travel.

Maybe one day he will realize he can live his life according to himself. Getting older (and knowing the better half of your life has gone by) may help. :)

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #791 on: March 22, 2017, 02:51:19 PM »
I am looking at June 16th.  I am starting to have some fun with the incredulous stares and questions.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #792 on: March 22, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
Adding fidreamer. Our class is expanding fast!

fidreamer                June 16, 2017
RedmondStash                               OMY

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #793 on: March 22, 2017, 08:49:37 PM »
I've thought about it, and I'm putting myself back in for May 31. It gives me something to shoot for. I may change it later, but for now, I'm sticking to the original plan.

Go team 2017!

fidreamer                June 16, 2017

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #794 on: March 22, 2017, 10:29:10 PM »

I don't get it... if you really like your job, why leave?  I think FI is a wise goal for everyone, but not necessarily RE.  Is there something else you'd rather be doing?  If so, by all means RE!  Otherwise do what you want

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: March 23, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »

I don't get it... if you really like your job, why leave?  I think FI is a wise goal for everyone, but not necessarily RE.  Is there something else you'd rather be doing?  If so, by all means RE!  Otherwise do what you want

Fair question. It's a little complicated, but it's partly that spouse is retiring next month and it would be great to spend more time together, and partly that I have some health issues such that any real job takes all my energy and leaves me exhausted. I have pretty much no social life outside work. So I miss out on parties, dinners, evening events, movie outings, etc. And as much as I enjoy my job, it is temporary, and part of me wants to move along into a more permanent phase of my life, start renewing the friendships I've had to let lapse while working, and be part of a more permanent community that I used to be part of before the health issues hit.

And there are some other activities I'd like to be doing, but can't while I'm working. So it's really just figuring out when the scales tip far enough in the RE direction to be worth it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #796 on: March 23, 2017, 09:40:27 AM »

Fair question. It's a little complicated, but it's partly that spouse is retiring next month and it would be great to spend more time together, and partly that I have some health issues such that any real job takes all my energy and leaves me exhausted. I have pretty much no social life outside work. So I miss out on parties, dinners, evening events, movie outings, etc. And as much as I enjoy my job, it is temporary, and part of me wants to move along into a more permanent phase of my life, start renewing the friendships I've had to let lapse while working, and be part of a more permanent community that I used to be part of before the health issues hit.

And there are some other activities I'd like to be doing, but can't while I'm working. So it's really just figuring out when the scales tip far enough in the RE direction to be worth it.

Sorry if you've discussed this elsewhere, but it sounds like a part time arrangement (or simply taking unpaid leave) would be ideal for you at this stage.  If you are FI, you have more leverage to make that happen, although obviously it's not possible with every employer.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #797 on: March 23, 2017, 10:56:43 AM »
Can I join your group?  I'll be leaving my FT cube job on Dec 29, 2017 due to a site closure, age 39.  I won't be full FIRE, but am planning to work PT or concentrate on side gigs, so Semi-FIRE.  I will not be looking for FT work in my field, which I've done at 3 companies spanning 17 years.

Looking through this thread, I feel similar to many of you, worrying about US healthcare, markets being overpriced, etc. but longing for more freedom and to do things I find fulfilling, mostly growing food and providing for myself and family, building community and friendships.

I'm a bit sad I don't get to resign like most of you.  I wish I could have hit my target and just resigned, but this way I'm getting some lovely parting gifts that will push me towards FI.  I'll be piecing together income to cover expenses until the stash grows to hit my target.  But I was in the class of 2022 and the change in employment situation has been a kick in the pants to try to find ways to make this work now.  I may not fully FIRE for some years, but I'm essentially escaping the cube 5 years before I planned.  Because starting over doing the same work for another company just sounds so terrible to me right now.  There is plenty of work that sounds interesting to me and can cover our low expenses.  More details in my journal, which I started soon after the site closure was announced.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #798 on: March 23, 2017, 01:18:39 PM »
Welcome homestead neohio!

+1 to this! Even just 2-3 years ago, I didn't enjoy my job due to the manager at the time. Then he magically left and pieces fell into place, but who knows how long this will last. One of my best clients is on the verge of retirement and when he leaves that project could drastically change and morph into something I don't like. I'll go PT soon and maybe I'll still quit before the end of the year, or maybe I will stick around  a bit.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #799 on: March 23, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
Welcome, homestead neohio! Don't be sad, you're taking half of your life back! Working part-time is perfectly fine. No IRP here. :) I've been working part-time since January and am now ready to take the next leap. It makes the downshifting process easier.