Author Topic: Target FIRE: 2017  (Read 449904 times)

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
Re: Target FIRE: 2017
« Reply #600 on: January 18, 2017, 02:46:40 PM »
Well, I was planning to do this in April, but I just talked to my boss about cutting my hours down to 3 days/week. He was really supportive, committed to figuring it out so that I get what I want. I know that it will be a bit of a process to get there between dealing with my regional manager, HR, and hiring new folks (we are currently understaffed as it is), but just knowing that he is on my side is a huge weight off my shoulders.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #601 on: January 18, 2017, 03:24:03 PM »
FIRE me - yes I gave notice on 1/3 but caved and am working thru 1/27. I've updated the list:)

I negotiated work from home 2 days with 3 days in the office this week and next. My commute sucks so bad I only agreed to stay the extra two weeks if they'd give me that.

The bad news is that some extra income (2 weeks plus I get paid for 1 month vacation) puts me JUST over 300% FPL so I get no up front subsidy. That extra money I am making is going to go toward healthcare /sigh.

DH then says so now that you've already earned too much, you can just keep working right? Um NOPE! Hard to do online web work when were boondocking in our trailer... thank god for boondocking!

Here's a reprint of our retirement list:
Threshkin                Oct 31st, 2016    Confirmed
Metta            (at 55) January 1, 2017   Confirmed
MrsWhipple       (at 32) January 1, 2017   Confirmed
MsGreenStash     (at 51) January 1, 2017
FIRE me                  January 3, 2017   Confirmed
FrugalAussie             January 4, 2017   Confirmed
Zineth           (at 49) January 27, 2017  Confirmed
MarciaB          (at 55) January 31, 2017
mf3333           (at 56) January 31, 2017
dragoncar                March 1, 2017
Cottonswab       (at 30) March 1, 2017
easypeasy        (at 35) March 15, 2017   
Myhotrs          (at 38) March 31, 2017   
oblivion                 March 31, 2017
John Doe                 April 1, 2017
Daisy            (at 48) April 28, 2017
MandyM           (at 38) May 1, 2017     
Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) May 1, 2017       Going part time
Remote_Landlord  (at 39) May 8, 2017
Penguin159               May 12, 2017
Rachael          (at 42) May 21, 2017
BNgarden         (at 58) May 24, 2017
RedmondStash             May 31, 2017
Jack06           (at 42) June 1, 2017     
Fairviewite      (at 27) June 1, 2017
Romag                    June 1, 2017
Financial Asc.   (at 39) June 1, 2017
rahby1us                 June, 2017
Zephyr911        (at 38) Summer 2017
Charlie Foxtrot  (at 41) July 1, 2017
Bigchrisb        (at 35) July 3, 2017
Freedom17        (at 38) July 28, 2017
JoJo             (at 44) July, 2017
UnleashHell              July 28, 2017
Cookie78         (at 39) August 3, 2017
MonkeyJenga      (at 31) Fall 2017
SashaFiscal      (at 41) December 1, 2017   
Jim2001                  December 31, 2017
SwordGuy         (at 59) OMY
Mrs. SwordGuy            OMY
noble_goal               OMY

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #602 on: January 18, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »
6 out of 7, or 86% of the people who said they would FIRE by this date have done so.

Any word from MsGreenStash?   Enquiring minds want to know!!

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #603 on: January 18, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
Well, I was planning to do this in April, but I just talked to my boss about cutting my hours down to 3 days/week. He was really supportive, committed to figuring it out so that I get what I want. I know that it will be a bit of a process to get there between dealing with my regional manager, HR, and hiring new folks (we are currently understaffed as it is), but just knowing that he is on my side is a huge weight off my shoulders.

That's a good turn of events! How long do you plan to work part-time? I was hoping to work 3 days in the office but my boss really wanted me to try 4 days a week first and see how it goes. It still feels too much for me so I'm planning on giving notice maybe end of this month and hopefully work 3 days a week until he finds a replacement. It's a huge plus if your boss and you are aligned!

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #604 on: January 18, 2017, 06:37:21 PM »

Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) May 1, 2017       Going part time
JoJo             (at 44) July, 2017

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #605 on: January 18, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »

That's a good turn of events! How long do you plan to work part-time? I was hoping to work 3 days in the office but my boss really wanted me to try 4 days a week first and see how it goes. It still feels too much for me so I'm planning on giving notice maybe end of this month and hopefully work 3 days a week until he finds a replacement. It's a huge plus if your boss and you are aligned!

I am also at 4 days a week after returning from medical leave. Now I wish I would have returned at 3 days a week, but too late now. I'm using my ample PTO time to compensate.

I thought with a medical note for part time it would be easy going, but my managers keep asking when I am going to full time. I'm relying on the doctor's  note to keep them off my backs.

It looks like some of you have an easier time sliding into part time. In my department these days, it seems to be frowned upon. That wasn't  always the case. I guess most part timers tend to be people returning from maternity leave now that I think about it. I haven't seen any other part timers for other reasons...maybe no one has asked?

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: January 18, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »
Update on my situation.  After talking to the CEO (boss) and HR I may go part time.  The company is trying to save money so I suggested I would take a 25-40% pay cut in exchange to go 75-60% time & prorated PTO.  BUT... I'm interested in long term international travel so I said I'd do it only under the condition that the time off could be in blocks up to 2 months.  For the longer trips I would make my self available for critical meetings and regularly check e-mails, and get credited for that time. 

They are seriously considering this.  A 25% pay cut would give me 17.5 weeks off per year.  A 40% pay cut would give me 24.4 weeks off per year.    As the expense savings are desired for 2 years this deal might be on the table for 2017 and 2018.  Either way, I'm still making 6 figures.  The decision will likely be made next week.   Is this too good to be true?

This way I also see if long term solo travel is really what I want to do with my life before I totally uproot (sell the condo, etc).

On the other hand, I'm way over the threshold for FI.  This working would give me extra extra cushion and give me some fun money without the guilt (I have my eye on a $12,000 trip to Antarctica, not including the airfare).

Should I stay or should I RE?  The few friends that know about this say I should stick around (but not sure if that's just because they don't want me to leave for good).

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: January 18, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
JoJo, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Will you be under any contract that would force you to stick around for 2 years, or would you still be able to quit at any time if you want to keep on travelling and FIRE earlier? You'll  probably only need to do the fun parts of your job in this arrangement as they wouldn't want to waste what little time you are working on the BS part of many jobs.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #608 on: January 19, 2017, 12:07:54 AM »
Update on my situation.  After talking to the CEO (boss) and HR I may go part time.  The company is trying to save money so I suggested I would take a 25-40% pay cut in exchange to go 75-60% time & prorated PTO.  BUT... I'm interested in long term international travel so I said I'd do it only under the condition that the time off could be in blocks up to 2 months.  For the longer trips I would make my self available for critical meetings and regularly check e-mails, and get credited for that time. 

They are seriously considering this.  A 25% pay cut would give me 17.5 weeks off per year.  A 40% pay cut would give me 24.4 weeks off per year.    As the expense savings are desired for 2 years this deal might be on the table for 2017 and 2018.  Either way, I'm still making 6 figures.  The decision will likely be made next week.   Is this too good to be true?

This way I also see if long term solo travel is really what I want to do with my life before I totally uproot (sell the condo, etc).

On the other hand, I'm way over the threshold for FI.  This working would give me extra extra cushion and give me some fun money without the guilt (I have my eye on a $12,000 trip to Antarctica, not including the airfare).

Should I stay or should I RE?  The few friends that know about this say I should stick around (but not sure if that's just because they don't want me to leave for good).

Hmm. 75% pay to work 75% time is to good to be true? Usually part time workers get paid more than pro-rata given the disadvantages of being part time for most people. Why don't you ask for 65% pay to work 50% time and ask for half of your time to be work from home or work remotely?

This way you have nothing to lose. If they say yes you get an awesome deal. If they say no there's no hard feelings and you get full freedom and no regrets. Now is the time to flex your muscle.

Personally I've cut down to 9:30 - 3:30 with 2 hour lunches (still full time). It's been fantastic. I got the highest performance rating ever as well. I should have done this years ago.

IMO 75% pay for 75% time is a good deal for the employee and the employer is losing out.  Assuming you are a professional, their overhead remains mostly the same.  They still need space for you to work (office/cube).  They still need to process your paychecks and benefits.  And so on.  So their total expense only goes down to, e.g., 85% but they only get 75% of the work out of you.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #609 on: January 19, 2017, 06:29:15 AM »

I'm not sure how long I will work PT. Perhaps two years. I'm not sure that I will want to go any longer than that, but who knows, it might be a great balance for me. Good luck to you!!

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #610 on: January 19, 2017, 06:34:56 AM »

Hmm. 75% pay to work 75% time is to good to be true? Usually part time workers get paid more than pro-rata given the disadvantages of being part time for most people. Why don't you ask for 65% pay to work 50% time and ask for half of your time to be work from home or work remotely?

This way you have nothing to lose. If they say yes you get an awesome deal. If they say no there's no hard feelings and you get full freedom and no regrets. Now is the time to flex your muscle.

Personally I've cut down to 9:30 - 3:30 with 2 hour lunches (still full time). It's been fantastic. I got the highest performance rating ever as well. I should have done this years ago.

IMO 75% pay for 75% time is a good deal for the employee and the employer is losing out.  Assuming you are a professional, their overhead remains mostly the same.  They still need space for you to work (office/cube).  They still need to process your paychecks and benefits.  And so on.  So their total expense only goes down to, e.g., 85% but they only get 75% of the work out of you.

Depends on what benefits are still available to you - I would guess that at 75% you could still get all the same benefits, but maybe not. My company requires 30 hours/week to be able to get the family insurance coverage, so 75% would do it.  (I only have to work 20 hours/week to get covered as a single person).

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: January 19, 2017, 10:14:13 AM »
JoJo, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Will you be under any contract that would force you to stick around for 2 years, or would you still be able to quit at any time if you want to keep on travelling and FIRE earlier? You'll  probably only need to do the fun parts of your job in this arrangement as they wouldn't want to waste what little time you are working on the BS part of many jobs.

Not under contract.  I agree about the fun parts... I basically work on special projects, do some pilot programs, and then get requirements to the point where they need to be passed on to someone else.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #612 on: January 19, 2017, 10:20:14 AM »

With the prorated PTO, 75% pay actually equates to working 66% of the weeks of the year.

Employer is losing out a little but not tons in this case... There is alot of extra space in the building right now but that's really sunken costs.  If the company weren't trying to save a bunch of money this probably wouldn't even be considered.

We haven't worked out benefits but the hope was I could stay on the health insurance.  Most of the other benefits are directly tied to the prorated salary I'd earn (401k matching, cash contribution pension, social security, next year's bonus).

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #613 on: January 19, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »
My company pays full benefits for anyone over 20 hours. That makes PT that much sweeter! That is, if they let you stay PT for long or maybe this puts you on the next layoff list.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #614 on: January 19, 2017, 03:59:50 PM »

I'm sort of amazed that people are negotiating terms with their bosses. Isn't the point of FU money to dictate terms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikbQPldhPY

Love that video! I guess the thing is that I'm not really pissed at anyone and my boss is a really nice person. He would probably let me go 3 days if I insist, but I was also willing to give 4 days a try at that time. Anyway a weekday's difference is no longer important. I just gave notice, like, 3 minutes ago. I'll be working 4 days a week 'till the end of April and that's it! Whew!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:14:25 PM by Mrs. Pomodoro »

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #615 on: January 19, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
I am also at 4 days a week after returning from medical leave. Now I wish I would have returned at 3 days a week, but too late now. I'm using my ample PTO time to compensate.

I thought with a medical note for part time it would be easy going, but my managers keep asking when I am going to full time. I'm relying on the doctor's  note to keep them off my backs.

It looks like some of you have an easier time sliding into part time. In my department these days, it seems to be frowned upon. That wasn't  always the case. I guess most part timers tend to be people returning from maternity leave now that I think about it. I haven't seen any other part timers for other reasons...maybe no one has asked?

I've been asking to go part-time since I come back from my maternity leave 4 years ago and never got it until after I went on medical leave last year. They really don't want you to do it here because there are too few people and too many tasks. My boss is very accommodating but I think he really wants me to go back to full time as soon as I can. I know it's never going to happen and don't want to leave him in a difficult situation with his management. I feel much more relieved now after telling him my intention to leave.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #616 on: January 19, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »
This is what I take issue with. They have too many people because either they're skimping on headcount to try and get more profit for themselves, or they're not paying attractive enough wages to fill the open positions they have, again so they can keep more profit for themselves. Now I understand from a pragmatic point of view why people are forced to accept those conditions when they don't have options, but you do. You don't have an obligation to solve their problems for them just because they're trying to squeeze their workers for everything they can get from them and keep all of the profit for themselves. I understand having good relationships with people, but if work conditions are that crazy then I don't see you having an obligation to be exploited by the company's owners.

I'm sure the boss is a nice guy. That's always the role of middle management. To be a clueless buffer to deflect blame onto so the workers don't see the real sociopath executives at the top who create these overworked situations by design. And since your boss likely doesn't have the resources to fix the situation he's a good intermediary since you're not going to feel bad towards him over a situation he can't control. The good old MacLeod hierarchy.

Does that mean most people who's not in management are losers? I do see the sociopaths - clueless hierarchy since that has been affecting my org a lot. Politics are getting worse, bonuses are getting smaller, and many old timers/people who can afford it start to leave.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #617 on: January 19, 2017, 05:45:15 PM »
Losers here means in the economic sense. Losers trade their labor for less than its worth thereby allowing the clueless and sociopaths to profit from the difference. So yes all line workers are losers.

Sounds like your org is getting to the end of the lifecycle where it collapses under the sheer weight of too many clueless middle managers.

Lol that's pretty accurate. It's like what Steve Jobs called bozo explosion, and I'm seeing it happening here.

I can now see that I don't really fit in the corporate world. Only took me 17 years to realize and accept that...

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #618 on: January 19, 2017, 10:05:10 PM »
I wouldn't  say my workplace is as toxic as described above. I just think they'd  rather have people working full time to meet schedule needs, etc. They did hire me full time, it's just that for medical reasons I am part time - and I kind of like the arrangement. It's a pretty nice arrangement. It is a pay cut but I still get full benefits.

But from management's perspective they'd  rather have a full time person. That's  why I was surpised to see so many others apparently  getting their status reduced to part time so easily, when I am getting some flack  for it.

If I didn't  have a medical reason I'm  not so sure I'd be granted part time status. I know the FU power is in my hands, but if management doesn't want it there's not much you can do other than quit. And then it would be hard to start at a new place part time (at least for professional work).

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #619 on: January 20, 2017, 03:12:23 PM »
Is that really true? They can't bad mouth you to future employers just because you quit, provided you give reasonable (2 weeks) notice. People change jobs all the time. The old days of company loyalty to employees and vice versa are long gone.

Also like a codependent relationship the real toxicity of the relationship comes from its insideousness. Everything seems fine on the surface but underneath something is very wrong you just can't quite put your finger on it. The organizations that do this the best manage to give you an uneasy feeling that maybe it's you that's the problem which is a great motivator. Why do I feel uneasy? Maybe if I just work harder and get promoted that uneasy feeling would go away.

It took me years to realize this about the place I work at and that's it's by design. It's done in such a subtle way. You'd be shocked if I told you the name of the place I work.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're jaded by corporate culture. ;) I have some vague idea where you work and I also work in one of "those." I think we're at the end of company loyalty spectrum (which is close to 0) and it's really unfortunate 'cause there are so many bright and motivated people here. What you said about thinking there's something wrong with ourselves it's very true, and I was still questioning myself up 'till a few months ago even I'm sort of FI (not as prepared as you are, though.) I just had this conversation with my optometrist this morning, his wife probably works where you do, about how we're on a treadmill and couldn't get off and having hard time keeping up the pace. He's talking about ER, too.

I think this modern work culture is simply not sustainable, and I see it all around me but people are not doing much to help themselves. I have coworkers my age who got heart problems, cancer, mental illness, you name it. The environment here in the valley seems worse than elsewhere.

I would say though from what I see the American dream is not TOTALLY random but there may be about 20 to 30% we can control, if we want to play by the rules, which is, well not exactly in our favor. There are people who are competent and working very hard on the corporate ladder. I just hope that this is really what they want.

In my case, I'm done with living my life according to other people's agenda now, and it's liberating! :D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:13:58 PM by Mrs. Pomodoro »

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #620 on: January 21, 2017, 06:43:36 PM »
Anyone here going to camp mustache, in may?

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #621 on: January 24, 2017, 04:21:40 PM »
Update on our situation.

My boss is struggling to let me go, probably a co-dependent, control/power issue.  She's had a few things to say, wanting to let me know that if she knew I was leaving she "wouldn't have agreed to some of the things she did last year" eg. study leave 2 hrs per week for 26 weeks.  She has a point but as I told her, last year I didn't know I was leaving, I was committed to my job and was planning to work with the organisation long term.  Then work stressors and aging parents, plus being FI changed my thinking. She also implied that I'd struggle with not working, that I'd become flat, hit a slump ie. depressed.  I've been offered reduced hours and leave without pay for up to a year.

I'm taking a long plan two week holiday the week after next.  At this stage, when I return I'll be resigning, give 10 weeks notice so finish end of April.

My partner has three weeks holiday coming up, he then has 14 week long service leave starting late April, will return to work after that, perhaps part time, but has told his boss he'll be retired by Christmas. 

So, long story short, it's a more complicated process than expected but we remain determined. Interesting times.

What I've notice, when telling the few people we have about our plans, is it triggers their own values around work, financial decisions, life outside of employment, self image etc and so, at least initially, they have quite a strong reaction.

Good luck to everyone who's FIRE'd this year so far.  How's the transition from work going?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #622 on: January 24, 2017, 06:53:49 PM »
Well it looks like a severance package isn't in the cards, so I'm still going to plan to give notice in a few weeks.  I'll offer a  flexible end date but at this point I'm not that indispensable on anything anymore

Anyone have sample resignation letters?  Departure emails?  None of that crap?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #623 on: January 24, 2017, 08:01:06 PM »

What I did notice is that those friends that have high self esteems were genuinely happy to see me transitioning to a new phase in life. It made me realize how many people I know have issues with self esteem and weird small man syndrome things going on (which sort of explains why they're combative / argumentative on many different topics on such a regular basis, for them I don't think it's about finding the truth through conversation but rather winning an argument as a competitive gesture).

So very true!  Their craziness isn't about your actions, it's about what's going on in their own heads while reviewing their own actions.   And because they are small-minded, they would rather feel right than be right, so you must be wrong, so now they can feel good about themselves again.

Given that we are moving countries soon and I'll be reestablishing a social circle it's made me more careful about consciously choosing who I spend time with and surrounding myself with winners that have high self esteem rather than people who have become frustrated with life.

In five years, you'll be more like what you learn about and who you hang out with in that time frame.

I think being choosy about who you spend a lot of time and energy with is very wise.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #624 on: January 26, 2017, 12:58:23 PM »
Well it looks like a severance package isn't in the cards, so I'm still going to plan to give notice in a few weeks.  I'll offer a  flexible end date but at this point I'm not that indispensable on anything anymore

I only gave verbal notice and looks like my boss will take care of the rest. I told him I'll stay 'till April or May depending on when he can find a replacement, but I want to leave before things get crazy in summer. I imagine I'll be sending a "My last date is xxx." e-mail to HR at some point.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #625 on: January 26, 2017, 01:04:52 PM »

In the past I've given a letter with wording something like "I regret to inform you that I will be resigning with my last day to be ____. I am grateful for the opportunities this company has provided..."yadda yadda yadda. A few sentences, maybe a note about the end date being somewhat negotiable. I'm guessing HR wants something for the file and I generally stick with tradition unless there is a specific reason otherwise.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: January 26, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »

Not a retirement letter, but I did have one where I noted that it is fun to "tilt at windmills" for a while but then it gets distinctly less fun after the first few times.  (Don Quixote reference)

The current preparation is:
 As I’m sure you and other of my colleagues have suspected, DW and I no longer need the financial support of Semi-Big Corp.

The Epic FU money thread might have some gems if you are so inclined.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:35:05 PM by markbike528CBX »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #627 on: January 26, 2017, 05:12:21 PM »

Not a retirement letter, but I did have one where I noted that it is fun to "tilt at windmills" for a while but then it gets distinctly less fun after the first few times.  (Don Quixote reference)

The current preparation is:
 As I’m sure you and other of my colleagues have suspected, DW and I no longer need the financial support of Semi-Big Corp.

The Epic FU money thread might have some gems if you are so inclined.

I was going for more of a subtle FU, like "I'm going to take some time off to explore other interests"

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #628 on: January 26, 2017, 05:49:03 PM »
just change your email settings:

Dragoncar will be out of the office on 1st March and returning - never.
if you need to contact me  - don't.

see how long it takes them to notice.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #629 on: January 26, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »
I guess I should be taken off the list.  Effective as of this January, I'm going part time (70%).  I worked out a deal where I get 105 days off this year (includes holidays, so really 97.5 days if you subtract holidays).  So, I'm going to Indonesia for 7 weeks starting in May and 9 weeks in Spain, Portugal starting in September (doing the Camino). That leaves about 3 more weeks off to spread through the year - holidays and such.

I was thinking about renting a room since I'm going to be gone so much and last night an acquaintance was lamenting that the house she shares for $1100 per month has too many people (brothers, girlfriends) and dogs. She's looking to move out so I may take on a roommate - saves me from needing a housesitter too.  That should be enough to fund both trips.

I don't feel too bad about not FIREing this year.  We'll see how this year goes and re-evaluate in 2018.  Work has been pretty interesting and fun.  If it stops being fun there are options.

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #630 on: January 26, 2017, 06:02:32 PM »

Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) May 1, 2017       Part time
JoJo             (at 44) OMY

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:09:01 PM by Freedom17 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #631 on: January 26, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »
just change your email settings:

Dragoncar will be out of the office on 1st March and returning - never.
if you need to contact me  - don't.

see how long it takes them to notice.

Beautiful

I guess I should be taken off the list.  Effective as of this January, I'm going part time (70%).  I worked out a deal where I get 105 days off this year (includes holidays, so really 97.5 days if you subtract holidays).  So, I'm going to Indonesia for 7 weeks starting in May and 9 weeks in Spain, Portugal starting in September (doing the Camino). That leaves about 3 more weeks off to spread through the year - holidays and such.

I was thinking about renting a room since I'm going to be gone so much and last night an acquaintance was lamenting that the house she shares for $1100 per month has too many people (brothers, girlfriends) and dogs. She's looking to move out so I may take on a roommate - saves me from needing a housesitter too.  That should be enough to fund both trips.

I don't feel too bad about not FIREing this year.  We'll see how this year goes and re-evaluate in 2018.  Work has been pretty interesting and fun.  If it stops being fun there are options.

Congrats!  Remember, doing something you think will make you happy is not failure-- don't feel bad st all.  I've mentioned countless times that going pet time just made me long for RE more, but I don't regret trying it out and I made a little extra money in the meantime.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #632 on: January 27, 2017, 07:35:44 AM »

That sounds like a really sweet deal! Good idea about the roommate plan too. :)

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #633 on: January 27, 2017, 09:33:29 PM »
So my boss now knows of my plans. I've shared with many co-workers but until now management has been unaware. Guess he heard a rumor. Made a verbal deal to give them plenty of time assuming my bonus is "on target" this March. Pretty much told him that by late summer at the latest I'm out.

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #634 on: January 28, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »
Is anybody else feeling a bit guilty for abandoning their colleagues?  My department is probably going to lose at least part of my load, which means more work for everyone else.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #635 on: January 28, 2017, 05:41:18 PM »
Is anybody else feeling a bit guilty for abandoning their colleagues?  My department is probably going to lose at least part of my load, which means more work for everyone else.

Yeah I feel this off and on.  Somedays I think they'll be just fine without me and sometimes I worry that I'll be dumping too much on them when I leave.  To ease my conscience I'm trying to document any tribal knowledge and teach/train others around me what I know. Now I am starting to feel like my co-workers will be fine without me and maybe better off without me because I'm not giving my 100% anymore.  Also I'm taking a couple months off soon so it will be a trial run for them to solve problems on their own.

I'm sure you've had co-workers resign and for a while you had to take over what they were doing.  It's somewhat difficult at first but eventually it normalizes.  When you leave, your co-workers may have their priorities changed and if there is too much work, management will have to hire someone to replace you or reprioritize what they want to get done.  So really you shouldn't feel too bad. Everything is gonna be fine.

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #636 on: January 28, 2017, 06:26:17 PM »

The same thing happens when changing company and I never felt bad about that. It's a normal part of the modern work world to move every few years, at least where I am. How long have you been at your company? Would you be feeling guilty if you were moving on for a better work opportunity?

It's not common in academia.  People get tenure and stay forever.  I had a colleague who retired a few years ago after 52 years here.  I've been here 8 years.  In that time, no one in my department has left to take a different job.  We have a picture on the wall of everyone who has ever worked in the department, since the 1800's.  I think it's been at least 20 years since someone has left for reasons other than retiring at normal retirement age.  So what I'm doing is culturally weird.

Yeah I feel this off and on.  Somedays I think they'll be just fine without me and sometimes I worry that I'll be dumping too much on them when I leave.  To ease my conscience I'm trying to document any tribal knowledge and teach/train others around me what I know. Now I am starting to feel like my co-workers will be fine without me and maybe better off without me because I'm not giving my 100% anymore.  Also I'm taking a couple months off soon so it will be a trial run for them to solve problems on their own.

I'm sure you've had co-workers resign and for a while you had to take over what they were doing.  It's somewhat difficult at first but eventually it normalizes.  When you leave, your co-workers may have their priorities changed and if there is too much work, management will have to hire someone to replace you or reprioritize what they want to get done.  So really you shouldn't feel too bad. Everything is gonna be fine.

Thanks.  It's nice to know I'm not the only one.  I have also been passing on my tribal knowledge.  I'm sure they'll be fine without me, and they are understanding and even happy for me.  But I think in this specific situation, management (the administration) is also going to ask each person to do more. They can do it, but it will be more stress. In the past when people have left, we've hired replacements, but we have a new administration and a weak financial situation. Anyway, thanks for listening!

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #637 on: January 28, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
It's funny you mention academia. I was a professor once but ended up going into industry a year later. My colleagues were all tenured. Now 11 years have gone by and I just heard that all of the 'tenured' professors got forced out due to some internal politics. Many of them are unemployed 6 months later. It's kind of a rough place to be at 50-55 after a life in academia and no industry experience. Made me really glad that I left. I left back then because of a weird vibe I got from the new head of department. He's the one who ultimately pushed all these guys out. Goes to show that even things that people take for granted like tenure can change suddenly.

"Academic politics are so vicious because the stakes are so small"  (commonly attributed to Kissinger)

Like any job, there are good things and bad things, but I'm really ready to get out at this point. 

MsGreenStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #638 on: January 29, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
6 out of 7, or 86% of the people who said they would FIRE by this date have done so.

Yes, it's me, MsGreenStash!  Thanks for asking!  My date slipped by a month so I have 2 more working days!!  I still haven't solved the problem of what I'm doing on first day...and it has me stressed out!  This has definitely been an emotional roller coaster for the past few months.  Mostly I'm really excited...but have days when early retirement just makes me feel old and scared!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #639 on: January 29, 2017, 07:24:07 PM »

Yes, it's me, MsGreenStash!  Thanks for asking!  My date slipped by a month so I have 2 more working days!!  I still haven't solved the problem of what I'm doing on first day...and it has me stressed out!  This has definitely been an emotional roller coaster for the past few months.  Mostly I'm really excited...but have days when early retirement just makes me feel old and scared!

Thanks for checking in. Congratulations on your imminent freedom! My recommendation for your first day after work is some celebratory wine and then lots of sleep. I'm still tired and it has been a month since I left!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #640 on: January 29, 2017, 08:00:30 PM »
I almost have a feeling that I'm going to be leaving my job to go volunteer for the ACLU

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #641 on: January 29, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »

MsGreenStash     (at 51) February 1, 2017 Confirmed
Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) May 1, 2017       Part time
JoJo             (at 44) OMY

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #642 on: January 29, 2017, 10:17:54 PM »
I almost have a feeling that I'm going to be leaving my job to go volunteer for the ACLU

I have never in my life been so attracted to an auto-fucker.

Hopefully to do something more productive than suing towns for putting a cross on their Christmas tree :)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/13/indiana-town-removes-cross-christmas-tree-after-aclu-lawsuit/95384080/

Bill Maher did a great piece on this recently

https://youtu.be/JaC1-U8LIY0

There are bigger fish to fry

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #643 on: January 29, 2017, 10:41:58 PM »

I had this same thought today!

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #644 on: January 30, 2017, 07:40:09 AM »
MarciaB officially confirming!

Today (Jan 30) is my last full-time-working-Monday-ever-in-life. My final paycheck hit my bank account this morning and it included a nice chunk of cashed out vacation time.

Tomorrow (Jan 31) is my last full-time-working-Tuesday-ever-in-life. At the end of the day my wonderful staff will take me out for a beer and that will be that.

This is the culmination of a three-year "FIR" plan (because at my age there's no "E" about it really, especially not in the MMM crowd). Feels great!

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #645 on: January 30, 2017, 08:24:58 AM »

Today (Jan 30) is my last full-time-working-Monday-ever-in-life. My final paycheck hit my bank account this morning and it included a nice chunk of cashed out vacation time.

Tomorrow (Jan 31) is my last full-time-working-Tuesday-ever-in-life. At the end of the day my wonderful staff will take me out for a beer and that will be that.

This is the culmination of a three-year "FIR" plan (because at my age there's no "E" about it really, especially not in the MMM crowd). Feels great!

Congratulations!  You are an inspiration to the rest of us :)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #646 on: January 30, 2017, 08:43:55 AM »
So exciting to see all the FIRE confirmations!!!

I have 27 weeks to go and yesterday it was feeling like FOREVER to wait that long. Then I realized it would be 27 YEARS remaining if I were to retire at 65. Suddenly 27 weeks doesn't feel that bad. :)

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: January 30, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »

I had this same thought today!

Same.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #648 on: January 30, 2017, 09:25:36 AM »

Congratulations!! Welcome to our lovely little club.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: January 30, 2017, 10:40:42 AM »

Thanks for checking in. Congratulations on your imminent freedom! My recommendation for your first day after work is some celebratory wine and then lots of sleep. I'm still tired and it has been a month since I left!

I'm looking forward to this part SO MUCH!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!