Author Topic: Target FIRE: 2017  (Read 85927 times)

Freedom17

• Bristles
Re: Target FIRE: 2017
« Reply #450 on: October 24, 2016, 10:03:28 AM »
I guess the question I would ask is is management just 'mismanaging' things or is this intentional. If they can convince their workers to work twice as hard for the same money that means higher returns for the shareholders right? At the end of the day you need to make a choice about who to be responsible to: yourself and your family (who takes care of you if you have health issues due to these extremely unreasonable expectations?) or the owners of your company?

Some people have a hard time saying no but they probably should, or simply leave at 6 and see what happens. I bet nothing.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #451 on: October 24, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »
Holy shit, that is utterly inhuman. Possibly some is even illegal. Consider a labor board complaint?
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #452 on: October 24, 2016, 10:45:15 AM »
Only work extra if one or more of these conditions apply:

1) It is a true emergency, as opposed to a planned emergency (see the 35 people doing the work of 60 post above for a planned emergency).

2) You learn something that will improve your skills or marketability.

3) Your colleagues learn something that will improve their skills or marketability.

4) You are having fun doing it.

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #453 on: November 01, 2016, 10:07:09 AM »
I am now officially no longer a member of the class of 2017.  I have moved up to 2016!  I was RIF'd this morning and should get the package shortly.

I did a little dance of joy!

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #454 on: November 01, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »
I am now officially no longer a member of the class of 2017.  I have moved up to 2016!  I was RIF'd this morning and should get the package shortly.

Congratulations on your upcoming termination! :)
Come on in, the water is pretty good.
Was targetting Freedom35
Currently We're Homeless and Jobless

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #455 on: November 01, 2016, 11:24:55 AM »

Congratulations on your upcoming termination! :)
Come on in, the water is pretty good.

I have been wishing for a package for over a year now.  Just waiting for the courier to arrive.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
  • FIRE 2019
« Reply #456 on: November 02, 2016, 08:05:34 AM »

Congratulations!! How will you spend your first month?

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #457 on: November 02, 2016, 01:08:41 PM »

Congratulations!! How will you spend your first month?

The first two days have been busy setting up personal phone service, transferring data to a new computer and prepping everything to return to corporate so they will pay me. 

I expect the first month will mainly be decompressing and getting accustomed to not working.  We are talking about travel and have $600 in CSR credit to spend before the end of the year.

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #458 on: November 03, 2016, 04:28:48 PM »
What do you all plan to do if the markets stall or tank in the next few months? I'm hedging by putting 25% of my current equities into cash.

Freedom17

• Bristles
« Reply #459 on: November 03, 2016, 05:09:49 PM »
What do you all plan to do if the markets stall or tank in the next few months? I'm hedging by putting 25% of my current equities into cash.

If dividends are unaffected then collect dividends as usual and relax. If dividends are effected then spend less. We have a fair bit of safety margin between our comfortable target retirement and what we actually need to live.

Other more extreme options include selling principal residence and moving it into higher yielding assets, moving to a low cost of living area, allowing my wife to work (she keeps insisting she will be bored in retirement) or getting consulting work on the side.

I think flexibility is key.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:15:10 PM by Freedom17 »

JoJo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #460 on: November 03, 2016, 05:50:26 PM »
I am class of 2017, but started a new job in September and I'm actually loving it.  I'm tempted that instead of retiring, I ask to go to 80% time for a 20% pay cut next year, and take a month off a couple times a year and a few days off in the summer when the weather is nice for hiking.  Maybe even divert that 20% to pick up a 1/2 time/shared resource to keep things moving in the months I'm out.   I do have fear if I quit all these cool things I'm working on won't actually get finished.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #461 on: November 03, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »
... allowing my wife to work ...

That would imply that you could forbid your wife from working.

I'm neither brave enough nor foolish enough to try such a thing with my wife. :)

Freedom17

• Bristles
« Reply #462 on: November 03, 2016, 07:23:31 PM »

I'm neither brave enough nor foolish enough to try such a thing with my wife. :)

I strongly discourage it, but she has these crazy ideas so what can you do?

RedmondStash

• Bristles
« Reply #463 on: November 03, 2016, 07:34:51 PM »

I strongly discourage it, but she has these crazy ideas so what can you do?

Women. Going around thinking they're people. Pfft.

Financial Ascensionist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #464 on: November 04, 2016, 12:33:33 AM »
What do you all plan to do if the markets stall or tank in the next few months?

I stopped auto-investing and now all my spare income goes into accumulating enough cash to fund year one.  Nothing else is affected, but I will probably opt for a lower expense level if the market is *really* down around June 2018. 

UnleashHell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #465 on: November 04, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
got promoted.
and extra money.
which is handy because the market isn't giving anything.

plan remains unchanged.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #466 on: November 04, 2016, 09:23:43 PM »
What do you all plan to do if the markets stall or tank in the next few months?

I stopped auto-investing and now all my spare income goes into accumulating enough cash to fund year one.  Nothing else is affected, but I will probably opt for a lower expense level if the market is *really* down around June 2018.

My wife has to start taking mandatory 401k disbursements next fall.  She's planning on retiring this spring (though I think her paychecks will continue thru August as she gets paid on a 12 month plan).   

We'll continue to max out our 401Ks until we each retire (because I think the math still favors us doing that), but we'll probably stop buying stock the last 6 months or so.    That way, we'll build up our cash position pre-retirement.   

I'll know in a couple of weeks whether we're going to retire next year or not.    The suspense is killing me.

oneyear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #467 on: November 05, 2016, 04:16:53 AM »
My FIRE target doesn't have enough padding in my equities for a downturn but if this happens before I fire, then I'm really going to be in a buying frenzy. I had liquidated one holding last week and bought back on Friday. The result was an additional 300 shares. I'm continuing my weekly investments, but now siphoning off a percentage to hold in cash.

On the back of this thread I'm also getting a valuation on my commercial property. I don't take a rent from this currently as it's my company who is the renter and I'd have tax implications but may do post 2017. The rent alone should be my target monthly FIRE budget or very close to it.

Next year is looking busy already. I don't know if I mentioned this but as I don't want to officially re in 2017, I have planned sizeable vacations instead. We're already planning to be in the mountains for 3 weeks skiing and on the beach for a full month. We live near neither. Certainly there'll be a chunk of change thrown at this, but it's my incentive to keep working and to enjoy my time off.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #468 on: November 06, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »
Well, I'm about to flunk out of the 2017 FIRE cohort. 

Our offer to buy a mid-century modern home to restore got accepted.  We would prefer to keep a firehose of cash via my salary coming in whilst we're hiring out the expensive bits.

Our goal is to (a) not lose money and (b) restore the home and get it protected via some sort of historic registry.  (Still learning the ins and outs of that.)

If the costs for the roof, hvac, electrical, plumbing and mold/mildew remediation come in on the lower end, I might squeak by with a December date.  Otherwise, Spring of 2018.   

Financial Ascensionist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #469 on: November 06, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »
SwordGuy,
sounds like you are delaying just a few months in order to comeback in a much stronger position of strength.  This sounds like exactly the right thing to do given your specific situation. 

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #470 on: November 06, 2016, 05:20:15 PM »
SwordGuy,
sounds like you are delaying just a few months in order to comeback in a much stronger position of strength.  This sounds like exactly the right thing to do given your specific situation.

Thanks!

Personally, I think I'm probably being over-cautious.   I did the math and we should be fine if we paid off our current house and lost ALL the money on this rehab and I misread the info on the farm income I inherited and it will only be 1/2 what I expect.   

But I've been wrong before.  :)

So since it's not just my wife and I, but also our mentally handicapped daughter, I'll wait the extra time.  It's costing $100k to buy and I expect it to cost between $100k and $150k to buy it and fix it up.   I'm pretty darn sure I can sell it for $250,000 and can probably get a realtor to do it for free.  So, in theory, I should break even.   

We're going to go for historic property tax credits that could equal $40k to $50k.  But I can't count on that money because it's a new process for me and I don't know all the rules.   

It's possible the house could sell for a higher price, perhaps $350k if the market firms up and we get lucky with our buyer.   The right buyer will fall in love with the home.

We'll see. :)

RedmondStash

• Bristles
« Reply #471 on: November 06, 2016, 07:47:15 PM »

I love how on this forum, being laid off can be good news. Congrats, Threshkin!

It's getting harder and harder for me to justify sticking around at work through mid-2017 when we're basically bare-bones FI now. My job is still fun, but freedom is beckoning hard. All that writing! 3D modeling and animation! Making my own games! Sleeping in!

Ah, well. I'll stay through the end of this year and see where I'm at.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #472 on: November 09, 2016, 08:50:05 AM »
Was anyone else in the class of 2017 counting on Obamacare?

I'm running some numbers on my post ACA insurance costs, and it isn't pretty.
FIRE'd on January 4, 2017

JoJo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #473 on: November 09, 2016, 09:22:36 AM »

As someone who was planning to spend most of my time out of the US, and carry an international plan, I'll be happy when the mandate (tax) is gone.  No more the need to spend 330 days outside the US - coming home for a family emergency will be possible.

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
« Reply #474 on: November 11, 2016, 08:00:56 AM »
I was factoring in Obamacare.   

Have any healthy people looked into calculating the expected cost of not buying insurance and just covering all expenses out of pocket? 

markbike528CBX

• Bristles
« Reply #475 on: November 11, 2016, 08:25:33 AM »
Have any healthy people looked into calculating the expected cost of not buying insurance and just covering all expenses out of pocket?

Thread on the topic, http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/self-insured-specifically-health-insurance/

TL; DR  consensus not so enthusiastic,

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: November 11, 2016, 09:33:03 AM »
I was factoring in Obamacare.   

My expected medical costs (excluding dental) this year is $20 for a flu shot. It is the unexpected costs that concern me.

MarciaB

• Bristles
« Reply #477 on: November 11, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »

I sure am. And was disheartened to see that a potential recall/rebuild/re*F* of Obamacare might be coming down the pike.

I looked at plan information a couple of weeks ago, has anything changed since the election?

MarciaB

• Bristles
« Reply #478 on: November 11, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »

Such excellent news Threshkin!! Congrats!

MarciaB

• Bristles
« Reply #479 on: November 11, 2016, 01:14:48 PM »
So, they interviewed a pile of candidates yesterday for my job...makes it very real that I have less than 3 months to go.

Anyone else started having disquieting dreams about their financial situation and the decision to fire as the time draws closer? I'm surprised that I have.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #480 on: November 11, 2016, 03:14:21 PM »
Anyone else started having disquieting dreams about their financial situation and the decision to fire as the time draws closer?

Yes!

RedmondStash

• Bristles
« Reply #481 on: November 11, 2016, 05:29:16 PM »
Anyone else started having disquieting dreams about their financial situation and the decision to fire as the time draws closer?

Yes!

Yep. Without getting too political, I am also concerned about massive and unpredictable market upheavals right before I hope to get to FI. RE may have to wait.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: November 12, 2016, 09:56:10 AM »

I sure am. And was disheartened to see that a potential recall/rebuild/re*F* of Obamacare might be coming down the pike.

I looked at plan information a couple of weeks ago, has anything changed since the election?

Obamacare in 2017 is very likely to be unchanged.

2018 and beyond are the years I'm concerned about. It seems likely the the subsidy will go away, maybe a phase out, or maybe abruptly.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #483 on: November 14, 2016, 02:42:13 PM »
My semi-FIRE plan includes staying in the Air Guard for another 5-6 years and I'll get good insurance for really cheap that way, as well as having some flexibility on my final *full* retirement date. So I'm cautiously optimistic that even if costs go up, they'll at least have settled into a predictable range again.

That said, I'm still hitting some unexpected headwinds in executing all my transitional measures, so I may have to slide from my April stretch goal back to summer-ish. DW has really gotten unhappy with her job and may accelerate her plans, which could mean I pay more bills (I'm OK with this if she needs it, it's a minor difference)
Vacancy at my personal rental + HVAC overhaul will probably hit my near-term cashflow for $5K or more, and my startup has hit some snags so I won't have as much baked-in residual income there in the spring quarter. All in all, though, morale is high.

It's still my year, no doubt at all.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #484 on: November 15, 2016, 05:13:54 AM »
I've reduced my excessive work a bit and I'm getting real sleep finally so I'm happy. FIRE date is bearing down hot and hard and I'm worried that I won't have everything in order before I leave my job. In fact, that's practically inevitable at this point. I'm working on releasing that worry.

Obamacare was in my plans but not immediately. The immediate plan is for me to go on my husband's insurance plan. What this messes with is his plans to leave in three years. On the other hand, he wasn't sure that he wanted to retire in three years since he loves being a tenured academic. The threat to end Obamacare is more of a worry for me with my sister who absolutely depends on the provisions in it.

Another FIRE area that this election has changed are my plans for where I plan to spend my volunteer hours. I'd looked forward to spending some of my surplus time on causes I believe in, none of which were political. Now it looks like I need to get political since issues with a higher priority to me are under threat.

My manager (and a few others) are begging me to work as a contractor for my company when I leave. I kind of think that is absolutely crazypants. If I were going to do that, why not simply stay and enjoy the benefits of my job? Why take the financial risk of being a contractor? Is anyone else facing this?

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #485 on: November 15, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »
My manager (and a few others) are begging me to work as a contractor for my company when I leave. I kind of think that is absolutely crazypants. If I were going to do that, why not simply stay and enjoy the benefits of my job? Why take the financial risk of being a contractor? Is anyone else facing this?

If you are FI, and like the work, being a contractor is awesome. You get premium pay, probably get paid for every hour you work, and there is much larger room for tax advantaged savings with a Solo 401k. You can probably also set your hours and workload to as little as you want, much easier as a contractor as opposed to permenant employee.
In your case, you can get benefits through your husband, so you are good, and if you were going to retire anyways, not like benefits would hold you there. Sure, it's not permenent, but you are ready to retire, what do you care? :)
Was targetting Freedom35
Currently We're Homeless and Jobless

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #486 on: November 16, 2016, 10:57:01 AM »

If it affords you more flexible hours and better hourly pay, why not? I'd totally do it. I may try to do something like that.

MarciaB

• Bristles
« Reply #487 on: November 16, 2016, 02:39:07 PM »
It's been a while since the list was reposted, so here it is with a couple of changes that were mentioned recently (and please feel free to edit):

Metta            (at 55) January 1, 2017 
MrsWhipple       (at 32) January 1, 2017 
MsGreenStash     (at 51) January 1, 2017
FIRE me                  January 3, 2017
Zineth           (at 49) January 17, 2017
MarciaB          (at 55) January 31, 2017
rahby1us                 January 31, 2017
mf3333           (at 56) January 31, 2017
easypeasy        (at 35) March 15, 2017   
Myhotrs          (at 38) March 31, 2017   
oblivion                 March 31, 2017
Zephyr911        (at 38) Was here but now maybe summer 2017?
Threshkin        (at 59) Was here but moved to 2016!   
Jojo                     Was here but now maybe not?
MandyM           (at 38) May 1, 2017     
Mrs. Pomodoro            May 1, 2017
Mrs. SwordGuy            May 16, 2017
SwordGuy         (at 59) Was here but now 2018 instead?
BNgarden         (at 58) May 16, 2017
Rachael          (at 42) May 21, 2017
RedmondStash             May 31, 2017
Jack06           (at 42) June 1, 2017     
Fairviewite      (at 27) June 1, 2017
Romag                    June 1, 2017
Cottonswab       (at 30) June 1, 2017
Financial Asc.   (at 39) June 1, 2017
Charlie Foxtrot  (at 41) July 1, 2017
Bigchrisb                July 14 2017
Freedom17        (at 38) July 28, 2017
UnleashHell              July 28, 2017
Cookie78         (at 39) August 3, 2017
Jim2001                  December 31, 2017
noble_goal               OMY

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #488 on: November 16, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »

SwordGuy         (at 59) OMY, sometime in 2018

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #489 on: November 16, 2016, 06:25:37 PM »
Thanks for posting an updated list! I take it as a sign that I should reaffirm my plan (to myself, mostly.) Had quite a bit of ups and downs in the past few months. There were multiple occasions where I wanted to just give notice and call it done. I've been on medical leave for 6 weeks (no major health concern at this point,) and now have a chance to switch to working part-time but not sure how long I want to keep dragging my feet. Before going part-time becomes a possibility, I was planning to hang on 'till the end of the year and give notice on the first work day next year; now if I work part-time and assuming I don't experience another major break-down, I might be able to go with my original plan of leaving by the end of April?

I'm pretty set on leaving next year 'cause the medical leave made me realize how much I need to decompress before I can move forward in life, even that might mean going back to work later for a bit depending on how the economy and healthcare go in the future. It's not so much that my work environment is so terrible that I can't stay anymore; I'm just really, really done with what I do for work. There are so many other things I'm interested in and I also want to spend as much time with family and old pets as I can while everyone's still healthy.

Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) May 1, 2017
SwordGuy         (at 59) OMY, sometime in 2018

Freedom17

• Bristles
« Reply #490 on: November 16, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
I think it's time for a roll call!

We're on track. Flights booked. Counting the weeks :)

Threshkin        (at 59) Graduated to 2016! 
Zephyr911        (at 38) Summer 2017?
Jojo                     ?
SwordGuy         (at 59) OMY
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 07:33:41 PM by Freedom17 »

MrsWhipple

• Bristles
« Reply #491 on: November 16, 2016, 10:39:29 PM »
Roll call checking in! So I guess technically I've been retired since August when the babby was born, but I still have some business things to wrap up at the end of the year. The past six months we've been in the red and it freaks me out to be spending more money than I'm making. It's mostly due to dwindling royalties, and I'm going to be getting another lump sum at the end of the year from my other publishing business, so there really isn't a need to freak out, but I'm still freaking out.

Since I'm not sure how much income I'll have next year from residual royalties (anywhere from $50-150k probably), I don't know how I should handle the insurance thing. What do you guys think? Should I assume low and apply for a subsidy that I might have to pay back? There's no penalty to doing that, or so I can tell from my research -am I right about that?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #492 on: November 16, 2016, 10:49:20 PM »
Sooooo...I am the one that started the Class of 2015 thread, date came and passed, then dipped my toes in the Class of 2016, and now that will pass, but F-IT! 2017 is my FIRE year!

2016 was a heck of a year. I had a medical emergency and was on leave from work for 6 months. I returned part time. I was very grateful for the patience my employer had with me while on leave. Also, I work with a great group of people that were really worried for me and wanted to return and express my gratitude. So 2016 hasn't been a work filled year anyways...kind of like a medically enforced sabbatical.

But, after only a few months after returning, I think my honeymoon is over and I am itching to FIRE. It's definitely going to happen in 2017. I am done!

I'm on my phone and editing the list is hard. Can someone add me in for April 28, 2017 at the age of 48? Figure I'll do it first half of the year. End of March brings a bonus and ESPP payout. So might as well ride out April and be FIRE by May.

April showers bring May flowers...daisies!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:54:22 PM by Daisy »

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
  • FIRE 2019
« Reply #493 on: November 17, 2016, 05:39:22 AM »
Roll call checking in! So I guess technically I've been retired since August when the babby was born, but I still have some business things to wrap up at the end of the year. The past six months we've been in the red and it freaks me out to be spending more money than I'm making. It's mostly due to dwindling royalties, and I'm going to be getting another lump sum at the end of the year from my other publishing business, so there really isn't a need to freak out, but I'm still freaking out.

Since I'm not sure how much income I'll have next year from residual royalties (anywhere from $50-150k probably), I don't know how I should handle the insurance thing. What do you guys think? Should I assume low and apply for a subsidy that I might have to pay back? There's no penalty to doing that, or so I can tell from my research -am I right about that?

What are your royalties from?

I wish I knew what to tell you about assuming low. I run a business, and it's so tricky to estimate the revenue in advance.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
  • FIRE 2019
« Reply #494 on: November 17, 2016, 05:40:21 AM »
Sooooo...I am the one that started the Class of 2015 thread, date came and passed, then dipped my toes in the Class of 2016, and now that will pass, but F-IT! 2017 is my FIRE year!

2016 was a heck of a year. I had a medical emergency and was on leave from work for 6 months. I returned part time. I was very grateful for the patience my employer had with me while on leave. Also, I work with a great group of people that were really worried for me and wanted to return and express my gratitude. So 2016 hasn't been a work filled year anyways...kind of like a medically enforced sabbatical.

But, after only a few months after returning, I think my honeymoon is over and I am itching to FIRE. It's definitely going to happen in 2017. I am done!

Congratulations! Sorry to hear of your illness and glad you are better. May you continue to have good health and enjoy your FIRE!

RedmondStash

• Bristles
« Reply #495 on: November 17, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »

Congratulations! Sorry to hear of your illness and glad you are better. May you continue to have good health and enjoy your FIRE!

Yes, this.

I am hopeful that we are still on target for a mid-2017 FIRE. But I no longer know how to estimate medical and insurance expenses, given the uncertainty of Obamacare's future. I don't know how to reconcile that with accurate future financial projections, so I might delay a bit until more becomes clear. Assuming it does.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #496 on: November 17, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »
Thanks oldtoyota and RedmondStash!

As far as the ACA subsidies being removed... If they are and not replaced with an affordable alternative...well insurance companies would go under because no one will afford it. I'm going to try and not let this bother me.

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #497 on: November 17, 2016, 10:54:11 AM »
Adding Daisy. 

I posted a two-week status update to my journal (see siggy line)

Threshkin        (at 59) Graduated to 2016!
Daisy            (at 48) April 28, 2017
Zephyr911        (at 38) Summer 2017?
Jojo                     ?
SwordGuy         (at 59) OMY

MrsWhipple

• Bristles
« Reply #498 on: November 17, 2016, 10:55:46 AM »
What are your royalties from?
Romance novels I self-publish. I guess I'll estimate low and then hopefully keep my income down through deductions.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #499 on: November 17, 2016, 01:22:09 PM »
I may actually turn 39 before I quit... horror of horrors! xD