Author Topic: Target FIRE: 2017  (Read 226159 times)

FrugalAussie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Target FIRE: 2017
« Reply #1400 on: March 14, 2018, 06:00:27 PM »

I've finally gotten into somewhat of a routine with my diet and exercise and have nearly lost 10 lbs!  I'd like to lose about 5-10 more which I think is doable over the next several months. Also I'm just happier being able to spend time in the sun everyday. Happier to spend time moving my body everyday.

I still have some unpleasant feelings when I tell people I'm not working anymore.  Everyone is very supportive but I still feel uncomfortable telling people for some reason. Especially if those people aren't very happy with their current jobs. I think I feel a bit guilty because I can live this life but they can't. Anyone else feeling FIRE-guilt (kind of like rich-guilt)?

Sacha, I'm retired about 10 months.  I'm also enjoying getting fit after many years of sitting behind a desk in a high stress job.  I think I'm decompressed but I'm still not totally into retirement.  As a social worker I'm finding it hard to let go of meaningful work.  I do volunteer, have been on the Board of our local domestic violence service for several years, I'm a community rep on another committee that I value and I donate generously to a couple of NGOs. 

I also had some guilt about our fortunate financial situation.  Yes, we have worked hard, "sacrificed" consumer wants and overcome set backs such as divorce and sole parenting however I still had the feeling that somehow I didn't deserve our success, especially as we have just had built an amazing house on the coast so people can see our success, we can't continue to understate it. It helped me to reframe my thinking.  I think everyone deserves to have a house by the sea like us, if that's what they want, but there are structures and systems in place that are barriers to that happening. While I do what I can to address those barriers eg. homelessness for families experiencing domestic violence, honestly I know I can't change the capitalist system so I can chose to opt out (which I tried when my kids were young) or utilise it to my advantage. Currently I utilise it to my advantage.

Truthfully, I'll probably go back to work at some point.  The money I earn can be put to good use.  However, as I'm now financially independent the number of hours I work and the level of stress I need to endure is reduced so I can get a much better work/life balance and by working contract I know that the work has a finite time frame.

Good luck with your music. My partner retired last year also and has embraced his long time love of Traditional Irish Music (he's originally from N Ireland) so is learning the Bodhran and the tin whistle. In November last year we went to a couple of music festivals over in Ireland.  They were fantastic, we had the best time. 
FIRE'd in 2017, aged 51. Not bored yet!

Kay-Ell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Semi-retired in 2017
« Reply #1401 on: March 15, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »
I'm approaching 5 months retired, and I do not think I've completed the decompression stage yet.  My family was in turmoil for the first 2.5 months of my retirement, which took all of my emotional and mental energy, every single day (and often the unproductive night time anxiety took up my nights as well).  But the the last 2.5 month, life has been getting steadily better and better.  I really do love my life, and find so much joy in the people who are most important to me.  And I'm definitely starting to find moments where I take a big deep breath and say "wow... retirement is really amazing."

I have a few struggles right now.  One is finding motivation to be productive.  I still consult, on average about 8-10 hours per week for my old company.  And even though it's easy money, that does really help (I'm at a marginal FI level, and as long as I consult I can cover my expenses 100% without touching my stash) I'm having difficulty breaking out of the old mindset of feeling trapped behind my monitor even though I know I can get up and walk outside literally anytime I want to.  I'm experimenting with different rutines like working a little bit every morning, working a little bit every day, working longer periods every other day, etc.  I think I'll find a rythm soon.  And I think I'll probably drop the consulting all together at the end of the year.

I have other areas I'd like to be more productive in.  Currently have multiple projects on two separate renovations (my primary and one of my rentals).  I've always DIY'd a lot, and expected to do that even more once retired, but am finding it harder than expected.  I am really hoping that it's a matter of simply needing more time to decompress before I find my over-achieving, self motivated personality again. 

I still have some unpleasant feelings when I tell people I'm not working anymore.  Everyone is very supportive but I still feel uncomfortable telling people for some reason. Especially if those people aren't very happy with their current jobs. I think I feel a bit guilty because I can live this life but they can't. Anyone else feeling FIRE-guilt (kind of like rich-guilt)?

I definitely feel this.  My boyfriend, who is older than I am, and looks more age appropriate for traditional "early retirement" gleefully goes around telling everyone we are retired.  And every time, I kind of cringe, and try to downplay my own retirement as only "semi retirement, taking some time off with our daughter."  I feel bad for the person hearing about my amazing fortune, even if they seem happy to hear it.  Strange isn't it, that we can spend the better part of our lives working toward this goal, and then when we achieve it, feel kind of guilty when other people hear about it?

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #1402 on: March 16, 2018, 07:55:07 AM »
Thanks @Kay-Ell and @FrugalAussie for sharing those thoughts and feelings on decompression and sharing your retirement status with others. 

I'm in the 2018 cohort and have 7 more work days remaining.  It is getting real and I'm already starting decompression because I've been working remotely with fewer responsibilities.  I, too, am lacking motivation and hoping it will return after a likely months long decompression phase.  In the meantime it is a bit concerning, though overall I trust I will be productive again and this time in areas I choose instead of my employer.

I know zero people IRL who can relate to what I'm doing.  I know an octogenarian who up and quit a job on principle when he was young and broke and had to find work right away, which turned into another career.  Interesting guy and I'm hoping to talk with him more about that experience, but very different since I have a big stache and don't need another career.   I know a ex-mechanical engineer turned farmer who made the leap from maxing income in a soul-sucking cube job to being a low earning farmer, a job he loves.  Another interesting guy I hope to visit with about his experience, but he was changing from one career/identity to another.  I know a guy who owns and manages 50 rental properties.  He is so wrapped up in this identity, he can't pull himself away from that work even though he wants to do other things, and his health is suffering from running himself ragged.  I know no one who, in the prime of their career, walked away from work to stare into the void to find out just who they are and what they would do if all of the identity that used to come from a career is stripped away.  I look forward to this process, even if it is at times uncomfortable, but I wish I knew someone who has gone before me that I could chat with in person.

When people ask what I'm going to do next, or if I am looking for work, I just say I'm taking time off to reconsider what I want to do, and that it likely will not be more of the same career I'm leaving.  Most stare back at me uncomprehending.  "Time off?  What is that?"  At first it was entertaining, but it is also kind of isolating.  It is not a discomfort that makes me want to return to work just to avoid it, no way, but I did not expect to feel this way.