Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2018  (Read 77818 times)

jordanread

Strength & Fitness 2018
« on: December 29, 2017, 06:02:09 PM »
Welcome to the 4th Annual Strength & Fitness Gauntlet, for 2018!
Just for the record, I am both baffled and pleased that this is the 4th year for this gauntlet. You are all awesome!

As usual, I will create a tracking post to list out all of the goals, a resource post for...well, resources, a goal description post so that you can look at all the awesome things your fellow Mustachians are aiming for, and some extra stuff I'm doing for the gauntlet this year. Those will eventually be in their own comment (one of the reserved ones below). As far as the resources, everything is going to be combined into a few posts (instead of breaking them up by year). We'll have a list based on the kind of media (YouTube videos, books, articles, etc), but I'm also going to start digging into all of the resources, and start breaking things down by what issue it addresses. I will most likely need your assistance on that, so one of my first comments will be what I think the most common hurdles are, and what resources would be best.

I've got some thoughts on an application I can build (web based, hosted at one of my sites), but I'm not sure what I should include. Feel free to PM me suggestions (or put them in my journal, or whatever, but lets not gunk up this thread with discussions on software).

This thread has been a success for the last three years, and it keeps getting better. With growth comes a little bit of pain, and the fun thing is that any 'pain' that was experienced was always just stuff taken a bit out of context, and everyone has moved on and continued kicking ass. This thread was initially designed as just a place to publicize your goals, and maybe do some check-ins, but it's become so much more than that. It's now a place to share ideas, ask questions, post progress/technique photos, find suggestions on how to deal with difficult circumstances, how to figure out what program is needed to reach your goals, how to make fitness an awesome and sustainable part of your life, identify and overcome hurdles, stay on track and get some accountability, and get a view into alternate viewpoints of strength and fitness. I do think that the mention of finding diet specific threads for nutrition questions as it relates to S&F has prevented some flame wars. I am still highly contemplating making a perpetual sister thread dedicated to nutrition, with a nice table of contents for the discussions, but I won't have time to manage it until 1/2.

The Guidelines

Advice, whether solicited or not, is always welcome so long as it remains constructive.
Friendly ribbing/face punches are okay by default, but if you aren't okay with that, just say so, and it won't happen (and it's never personal).
If a comment rubs you the wrong way, say so, and we'll get that figured out.
I will do my best to keep this thread on track throughout the year. I personally noticed that I have a tendency to yo-yo throughout the year. In order to keep on track, I'm going to be doing monthly (maybe quarterly) sub-goals. At the beginning and the end of each month, I am going to make small short term goals, that will address any shortcomings I've noticed in myself. I am more than happy to do that for you as well. Now that we have mentions enabled on the forums, it would be a nice way to notify people.

The goals can be whatever you'd like. Based on the last few years, I've found the following are general enough to encapsulate everyone.

• Vague goals - Not really measurable, no real way to meet them. I've found that people who set goals like these just need to put something out there, and it's more of a motivational technique than something to shoot for specifically. It's kind of a public announcement that "this is something I'm going to do this year".
  • Specific Destination goals - What I did last year. In this case, it's more about the destination than the journey. It provides a lot of lee-way when it comes to how one accomplishes the goal, since the how isn't specified, just the result.
  • Specific Journey goals - This is a goal that focuses more on the journey than the destination. Instead of (or in addition to) a desired result, this is all about having a general idea of what one wants, and a specific idea as to what will get one there.

I will sometimes take liberties with the verbiage as I put goals on the tracking post, but I will always notify you and make sure it's okay. My favorite one was changing the goal of "Liking how I look" to "Increase Mirror-Lust".

Get ready to kick ass, increase health/stamina, and be sexier!

Thanks again for joining, as you are the ones who make this a success.

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »
Participant List

• @jordanread

• Obtain 32" waist measurement by March
    • Maintain 32" waist measurement
    • Achieve < 18% body fat
    • Maintain <18% body fat
    • Develop daily Habit of Movement

• @oneday

• Complete 100 push ups program - Wall Pushups
    • Complete 100 push ups program - Incline Pushups
    • 1x1 push ups
    • >2 mile jog 1x/week
    • Complete 5K run < 45:00
    • Read through resources post

• @dreams_and_discoveries

• Complete >= 2 Marathons
    • Beat Marathon Personal Record
    • Complete >= 38 ParkRuns
    • Weigh <= 122lbs (55kg)
    • Maintain weight <= 122lbs (55kg)
    • Identify Yoga Routine
    • Consistently perform identified Yoga routine
    • Identify HIIT/Bodyweight Routine
    • Consistently perform identified HIIT/Bodyweight routine

• @swashbucklinstache

• Press 1RM/150lbs
    • Row 1RM/175lbs
    • RDL 1RM/260lbs
    • Bench Press 1RM/200lbs
    • Identify ideal bodyweight for 2019 goal

• @hudsoncat

• Bike >= 1000 miles
    • Complete >= 2 Marathons
    • Mindful eating
    • >= 4 runs/week
    • >= 60 minutes/week
    • Cycle >= 2x/week

• @Mongoose

• Complete >= 1 half marathon
    • Complete marathon < 03:20:00
    • Complete >= 1 5K run solo
    • Weight training >= 2x/week
    • Identify additional goals

• @Bicycle_B

• <= 23.5% body fat
    • Complete >=1 10K
    • Run 1 mile <= 07:15
    • Push ups 1 set/20
    • Pull ups 1 set/3
    • Burpees 1 set/15

• @Laura33

• Workout logically - reduce risk of injury
    • >= 4x/week workout
    • < 3 consecutive weeks of 6+ workouts/week
    • Push ups 1 set/10
    • Pull ups 1 set/1

• @AcftW

• Rack Pull 1 set/5@495lbs
    • Weighted Dip 1 set/5@90lbs
    • Weighted Chin Up 1 set/5@45lbs
    • Trap Bar Deadlift 1 set/5@405lbs
    • Overhead Press 1 set/5@135lbs
    • Neck Curl 3 sets/20@90lbs
    • Push ups 1 set/50
    • Body weight >= 220lbs

• @monstermonster

• Workout >= 5x/week
    • Full splits one side
    • Choreograph & Film dance video
    • Stretch daily
    • 2 pack abs by July
    • Complete half-marathon <= 02:00:00

• @Trifele

• 1 set/5 military push ups
    • Pull up 1 set/1
    • Continue running >= 6 days/week

• @Jon_Snow

• >= 12:30:00 Intense Activity/week
    • Resting Heart Rate <= 45bpm
    • <= 10% BF

• @tyrannostache

• Make space in life for strength
    • Make space in life for movement
    • Make space in life for play
    • Strength training >= 3x/week
    • Increase muscle powered mobility
    • Muscle commute to work >= 2x/week
    • Teach 5yo to ski, skate, paddle

• @Drole

• Reduce body fat
    • Improve flexibility

• @TX2RVA

• Complete November Project <= 30:00
    • Complete Petersburg half marathon <= 1:54:59 Completed 1:53:51
    • Complete Patrick Henry half marathon <= 1:49:59
    • Complete Richmond Marathon <= 4:29:59 4:00:00
    • Complete 2 mile <= 14:59
    • Complete 5K <= 24:00
    • Complete 1K <= 51:00
    • Pull up 1 set/10
    • Complete MURPH
    • Dips 1 set/20
    • Pistol squats 1 set/10
    • Handstand hold >= :30
    • Overhead squat 1RM@95lbs

• @LWTG

• Complete half marathon <= 02:00:00
    • Pull ups 1 set/10
    • Mountain bike >= 12 unique locations
    • Mountain bike >= 600 miles
    • Increase ab tone by June 15th

• @Sailor Sam

• January/February

• Bodyweight routine >= 30:00 >= 2x/week
      • Cardio routine >= 30:00 >= 2x/week
      • Freak out < 1x

• @jmwagner5

• Complete 5K <= 17:00
    • Push ups 1 set/100
    • Achieve freestanding handstand
    • Strengthen core
    • Run 1 mile <= 4:40
    • Research kettlebells

• @2300

• RBF program >= 9x/month
    • Split training >= 20x/month
    • Yoga/Qigong >= 4x/month
    • Increase sleep quality/quantity

• @Eucalyptus

• >= 1x/week to the gym
    • Deadlift 1RM @ 2x bodyweight
    • Leg Press 1 set/10 @ 661lbs
    • Install chin up bar or rockclimbing holds
    • Chin ups 1 set/10
    • Complete >= 20 Stair Runs
    • Complete 24:00:00 rogaine navigation challenge
    • 500m row <= 01:30
    • January   

• 500m row <= 01:34

• @Flan

• >= 100 Krav Maga classes
    • Pass Level 1 Krav Maga Belt test
    • Lose >= 1" on waist

• @chasingthegoodlife

• Start C25K Program
    • Complete C25K Program
    • Design Strength Training Program
    • Strength Training Program >= 2x/week
    • Yoga Flow >= 183 days

• @asosharp

• >= 8000 steps/day
    • Consistently complete daily physio
    • Lose >= 22lbs (10kg)
    • Stretch: Teach regular dance class

• @Spoon

• Increase flexibility
    • Increase core strength
    • Increase fitness
    • Lower body fat %

• @Herk

• Consistently count calories
    • Perform short yoga program daily
    • Weightlifting program >= 2x/week
    • >=2 hikes/month
    • >=1 long yoga program/week

• @HarbingerofBunnies

• Increase high intensity cardio workouts
    • Weigh <= 200lbs
    • Stretch: Identify and resolve shoulder issues

• @Serendip

• >= 4x/week yoga
    • Complete >=1 Half Marathon
    • >= 3x/week walk/run/jog

• @Radagast

• Daily walk to work carrying >= 1x/bodyweight
    • Push ups 1 set/100
    • Pull ups 1 set/25
    • Stand up daily

• @zeli2033

• Back squat 1RM@190lbs
    • Deadlift 1RM@215lbs
    • Snatch 1RM@90lbs
    • Clean 1RM@125lbs
    • >= 1:00 Handstand
    • Pullups 1 set/12
    • Pushups 1 set/25

• @EngineerYogi

• Do something fitnessy
    • Consistently teach/do yoga

• @Mezzie

• >1x/week strength training
    • >1x/week cardio
    • >1x/week stretching activity

• @Eric222

• Weigh <= 190lbs
    • Run regularly
    • Complete 1/2 Marathon > 2:00:00

• @FireHiker

• Run regularly
    • Complete half marathon <= 4:00:00
    • Complete 1/2 Marathon and survive
    • Complete Mt. Whitney hike
    • Yoga >= 2x/week
    • Boot camp class >= 1x/week
    • Increase boot camp weights to #8s

• @diapasoun

• 1 set/1 floor touches with locked legs
    • >= 10 mile walk with no DOMS
    • Run >= 30 minutes consistently
    • Identify at home training regimen
    • Perform identified regimen >=2x/week

• @Forever Wednesday

• Weigh <= 190lbs/90Kgs
    • BFP <= 15%

• @HatTrick

• Strength training >= 3x/week
    • BFP <= 14%

• @e34bb098

• 3 set/5 Squats @335lbs
    • 3 set/5 Overhead Press @165lbs
    • 1 set/5 Deadlift @380lbs
    • 3 set/5 Bench Press @255lbs
    • 3 set/5 Pendlay Row @215lbs

• @Well Respected Man

• Don't die
    • Consistently train for 5K
    • Complete >= 2 5Ks by 07/15/18
    • Complete 5k <= 25:59
    • Complete 5k <= 24:45
    • Strength Training >= 2x/week
    • Body fat <= 16%
    • Create plan for over summer break

• @bpolson2

• Weigh <= 205lbs
    • Body Fat <= 18%
    • 4 set/8 Dumbell Bench Press @100lbs
    • 5 set/10 pullups
    • 4 set/8 Waling Lunges @135
    • Cardio Running >= 3x/week

• @leverage

• Body Fat <= 16%
    • 1 set/5 deadlift @375lbs
    • 3 sets/5 Squats @300lbs
    • 3 sets/5 Overhead Press @130lbs
    • 3 sets/5 Bench press @200lbs

• @lemanfan

• Lose >= 10kg
    • Consistent and improving strength training
    • Identify and perform training relating to more body awareness and movement

• @enFuego

• Eat healthy every day
    • Bodyweight <= 170lbs
    • Complete 100 push-up challenge
    • 1 set/10 overhand pullups
    • 1 set/10 underhand pullups
    • Perform 10 pull-ups overhand + 10 pull-ups underhand, unassisted - Not started
    • Trail Run 5 miles at 8 minute mile
    • >= 3x/week Run/Spin/Cardio

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:04:06 AM by jordanread »

jordanread

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
RESERVED.

jordanread

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »
Resources

Measurements/Standards
Few things are as empirical as solid measurements when it comes to fitness. They also allow you to make awesome charts to get a nice visual representation of your progress at a glance. To that end, I created this section of resources that are all about getting those stats. Remember, the exact method is not nearly as important as remaining consistent. Even if your chosen method of measurement isn't 100% accurate, the consistent measurements still allow you to see your progress.
  • Body Measurements (video)
    This video outlines how to measure your neck, forearm, bicep, shoulder, chest, waist, hips, thigh, and calf using just a flexible measuring tape. If you don't have one, a piece of string/rope and a regular tape measure can accomplish the same thing. Again, consistency. This video helps me to make sure I measure the same area each time.
  • Strength Level Standards
    The strength standards on this page grade your one-rep max performance against other adult lifters at your bodyweight.
    The Strength Level Calculator can show your exact level of strength at any bodyweight. You can also specify the number of repetitions and it will estimate your one-rep max.
  • Body Fat % Visual Estimation
    There are comparison photos for men and women with corresponding body fat percentages. If you don't have an easy way to determine your body fat, this is a good start.
  • How to Measure Body Fat Without Calipers
    If the photos aren't quite good enough for you, this link contains some calculations to determine your body fat percentage using a measuring tape and a scale
  • Home Body Fat Test
    Covert Bailey believes that knowing percent body fat tells you more about your body than any other test. It tells you what your correct weight ought to be, how much fat you have, how much muscle, and what exactly you need to gain or lose. Knowing this one number allows you to design an exercise program to maximize your efforts.
  • Diet Calculator, Body Fat Calculator
    The effects of a diet or exercise program can only be monitored when you have accurate biometric data. This web page will help you calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI), Waist-to-Height ratio, percent body fat, and lean body mass. You also get an estimate of your daily calorie and protein requirements based on your level of activity. It is a good idea to record your measurements once per week to keep track of your progress. If you keep the data in a spreadsheet (e.g., MS Excel) you will be able to create charts to see trends more easily.

Logging/Tracking
By no means mandatory, or indicative of success of failure, logging does provide benefits. It saves one from needing to remember exactly how the last workout went, a way to track progress, a way to analyze your form, and a way to a tweak your program. Below are some different methods to meet these needs.
  • Google Fit
    Effortlessly track any activity. As you walk, run, or cycle throughout the day, your phone or Android Wear watch automatically logs them with Google Fit.
    • Get instant insights. See real-time stats for your runs, walks, and rides. Google Fit will record your speed, pace, route, elevation, and more so you can stay motivated and on track.
    • Reach your fitness goals. Set goals based on steps, time, distance, calories burned. Receive personalized recommendations and coaching for activity goals.
    • Measure your wellness. Aggregates info from other apps to track fitness, nutrition, sleep, and weight: Android Wear, Nike+, Runkeeper, Strava, MyFitnessPal, Lifesum, Basis, Sleep as Android, Withings, and Xiaomi Mi bands.
    • Check in from anywhere. Track your progress from your phone, tablet, the web (fit.google.com) and even your Android Wear watch.
  • MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter
    Lose weight with MyFitnessPal, the world’s most popular health and fitness app! With the largest food database by far (over 5,000,000 foods), our amazingly fast and easy to use calorie counter help you take those extra pounds off! And it’s FREE – no strings attached. There is no better diet app – period.
  • LoseIt!
    Lose It! helps you set a daily calorie budget, track your food and exercise, and stay motivated to make smarter choices and achieve your goal. We think it’s the best, most seamless weight loss system available.
  • Runkeeper
    Every one. Every run. Track your pace, measure workout distance, chart weight loss, crush training goals and more with the running app trusted by 45 million users! Runkeeper is the simplest way to improve fitness, whether you’re just deciding to get off the couch for a 5k, biking every day, or even deep into marathon training.
    Track your runs, walks, bike rides, training workouts and all of the other fitness activities using the GPS in your Android Phone.
  • Moves App
    This is a really fabulous app that not only has a great algorithm to figure out what mode of transportation you’re using, but keeps GPS tracks of where you’ve been that are really nice and easy to read as a timeline of your day.
  • Gympact
    If you like a "carrot" as well as a "stick", I also use Gympact, which is like Beeminder except it also pays YOU if you work out, and takes money if you don't. It integrates with runkeeper, moves, and a lot of other things. I set the amount of times a week I plan to work out, and Gym Pact uses data from Runkeeper to determine if I’ve worked out enough. It only counts one workout per day, and the time spent exercising must be greater than 30 minutes. At the end of the week, if I haven’t met my goal, I get charged $5 for each day I missed. If I meet my goal, I get paid out a sum of money from the other people who didn’t meet their goal. Usually it’s around $1.25-$1.50 a week. I've been using it for 2 years and I've earned about $60 off of it.
  • Coach.me habit app
  • Strength Graphs
    Track and compare your big lifts.
Workout Programs
Doing things in a haphazard way very rarely yields good results. There are a plethora of workout programs out there. This is going to contain free programs, and if someone shares a paid one that works, a link to that one as well. There are also books that contain programs, and I'll add those as well, based on recommendations and personal experience.
  • Crossfit site featuring WOD (Workout Of the Day)
    The site isn't the easiest to navigate, but it's set up kind of like a blog with a new post every day (that's the WOD). The exercise demos have a plethora of information on proper form for specific exercises.

• MobilityWOD (YouTube)
    They have fantastic resources for anything mobility related, and heavy PT backgrounds, so really safe and well vetted stuff. Kelly Starrett (aka KStar) is the author of Becoming a Supple Leopard (amazon), and is frankly a genius.

• 30 days to splits
    I’m going to teach you how to get into the side splits in just 1 month. This will be a VERY REWARDING journey, however, you will need to show me that you are DEDICATED. Increasing your flexibility at this level TAKES TIME. A little every day.  You will need to stretch for at least 10 min a day if you’re serious about getting into the splits in 1 month. But let me assure you right now that this feat is not impossible!
  • Dr. Jordan Metzl's Ironstrength Workout
    Dr. Metzl has developed the Ironstrength Workout specifically for runners and triathletes, as featured in his Runner’s World “Inside the Doctor’s Office” series. The videos break down the workout into muscle-group specific sequences, and therefore it is important to complete the sequence in the correct order.
  • Zombies Run! (Free to install - first 5? missions included...extra missions cost $)
    Quote from: jordanread
    This app is super fun. It's the only way I can really run. There are apparently issues attempting to use the playlist and playing your music in the app, but it's an audio only adventure (with gps stuff and different scenarios, like mobs of zombies that you have to run faster to escape), so I haven't actually tried that feature. Feel free to post your experience here if you've used it!!
  • C25K
    The proven C25K (Couch to 5K) program was designed for inexperienced runners who are just beginning an exercise routine.The plan's structure prevents new runners from giving up and at the same time challenges them to continue moving forward. C25K works because it starts with a mix of running and walking, gradually building up strength and stamina to fully running 5K.
    (Jordan Note: See the goal description post for more info on the program itself)
  • Hundred Push Ups
    Hundred Pushups is the ultimate program to train the body to go from just one pushup to 100 consecutive reps in less than two months -- sculpting muscles in the chest, abs, back, glutes and arms without a single piece of unwieldy equipment.
  • 30 Days of Yoga
    On a mission to get the tools of yoga into schools and homes, Adriene also produces and hosts Yoga With Adriene, a successful online community that provides high quality yoga at no cost to inspire people of all shapes and sizes across the globe. YWA was recognized by Google as the most searched workout of 2015, has been recognized by The Wall Street Journal and was awarded a Streamy in Health and Wellness in 2016.
  • Hero's Journey
    Hero's Journey is a role-play fitness program inspired by every hero’s transformation from minion to master. Each day takes you through a stage of the journey, presents you with fresh challenges, opportunities and threats. Each of these is accompanied by exercises that test your skill, push your performance and require you to adapt and develop in order to go on.
Motivation/Habit Building
Strength and Fitness is work. Sometimes it's hard work, other times it's fun. One thing that is certain is that the work needs to be consistently done for results to stay, or improve. This section contains different methods of motivation, including apps. If you just need help building the habit, or there is some rough day where you just don't want to work out, this section is the answer to that.
  • Beeminder
    It’s a combination of quantified self and behavioral economics. Essentially, you tell it what you want to do, and if you don’t work towards those goals in a systematic way, it’ll charge you money. It’s helpful in that you don’t have to worry about whether or not you’re making progress on a goal, because Beeminder will tell you if you’re off track. It autolinks to a bunch of other things mentioned in the resources list - like Runkeeper and Strava and Fitbit.

At the moment, I get charged $5 by Beeminder if I don’t average 10,000 steps a day and average 7 hours of sleep a night (this is an average, so I can make up the time over the week – 9 hours one night, 6 the next is okay in the end.) If I get really behind, I can actually say “I have to go to bed by 8:30 or take a long walk at lunch otherwise I get charged $5″. This helps with making sure I’m on top of my sleep hygiene and daily steps. And I don’t need to do anything special because they’re integrated automatically!
  • Habitica
    Habitica is a free habit building and productivity app that treats your real life like a game. With in-game rewards and punishments to motivate you and a strong social network to inspire you, Habitica can help you achieve your goals to become healthy, hard-working, and happy.
  • Zen Habits Site
Troubleshooting
All kinds of things happen when working out. Sometimes it's struggling with a specific training exercise, other times things may just feel off, or maybe you wind up tweaking something. This section is for any tools to use while troubleshooting.
General Information
For things that don't really fall under a different section, they will go here. I've got them broken down by media type (at least for the books). Feel free to PM me if you have additional questions about this media.Diet
I've previously tried to keep specific diet stuff out of this thread, just because of how it so often devolves into a flame war. However, we might as well. So I've gone ahead and created a sister thread. I'll try to manage that one as well and keep things civil and organized. I think it should be able to be done. People here are awesome!
Nutrition for Strength & Fitness
Shared Resources
Since there are all kinds of people here, I've created a writeable uploads folder so that you can share any file that you want. To upload files, just use this link. In order to make sure that nothing gets deleted, I will then prettify the documents, and add them to the resource shared folder (read only).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:21:30 PM by jordanread »

jordanread

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 06:02:50 PM »
RESERVED.

jordanread

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 06:02:58 PM »
RESERVED.

jordanread

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 06:03:25 PM »
RESERVED.

jordanread

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »
RESERVED.

jordanread

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 06:03:43 PM »
RESERVED.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 08:03:43 PM »
Jeez, JR.  You made it sound like it would take a whole lot of time, but I think it was only about a half hour between your post on my journal & posting here.  Anyway, thanks for the online space and resources!

Well this is my first appearance in a S&F gauntlet.  It's daunting when one's midsection might be mistaken for a marshmallow and arms for cooked spaghetti, OK?

So.  Now is the time.  I've started already with the program at http://hundredpushups.com/, but only got into the 3rd week before allowing other things to become higher priority.  Goal #1 is to finish this program, and I started on W3D1 last night.  This is just a journey goal to stretch my stick-with-it-ness. 

Goal#2 is a destination goal, which is to be able to do 1 measly pushup by the end of the program, whether that takes only the final 4 weeks of the program, or all year.  You see, I have not been able to do even 1 knee pushup, so I'm doing wall pushups.

Goal#3 is to jog 1x/week at 2 miles or more.  This will not be an average, so if I miss a week I can't make it up or "work" ahead.  This is to build a cardio routine right into my weekly rhythm or "make fitness an awesome and sustainable part of [my] life".

Goal#4 is to read & absorb the resources in this thread (or last year's) so I can tell good fitness advice from bad, cuz right now I'm clueless.

OK! Excited to see who else joins in & what y'all are up to!  Happy New Year!

jordanread

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
@oneday , I didn't have time to get everything in decent shape. Stubbing it out isn't a problem. :) I've got you added. Welcome to the gauntlet. This is going to be a good year.

I've got a few of my goals added, but I'm going to add more when I get more time (more journey related goals). In the meantime, I have a theory.

Plumber's Crack: Gravity, belts, and physics

So I did pretty good in 2017, making some pretty good progress, but backslid just as bad (if not worse). I still haven't managed to get the habits built, though. That is going to be a priority for me this year. I may even take a pretty big risk and do some of the stick based apps above. I have realized something lately (this will let you know my current state prior to getting my measurements posted), but plumber's crack is a real thing, and it's an interesting problem. It's been happening to me more lately, and I think I've figured out how to prevent it, and why it happens. It's an issue of math. The ratio between waist and hips (I'm using the belly button as the waist) is the key number. A 1:1 ratio is close to where I was in my before picture from last year. When that ratio drops to something like 1:.9 or something, that means that one's hips are not the widest point, which makes belts useless. I don't like it. It's not comfortable, it's not functional, and it sure as hell ain't pretty. Hence the reason that my current goals are about waist measurements. I've achieved 32" before, and it's pretty sustainable. That will be a good easy number for me to hit, and I hope to be able to have a win pretty quickly.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 07:52:56 AM »
Ok, I need to bite the bullet and join in - I'm lazy and could do with some accountability. I'm writing this post drinking tea in my running gear, as it is raining - when I should really just have gone out for my run.

Anyway, my targets for 2018 are
  • Run two marathons - have done so for the last few years, so an easy goal
  • Beat my marathon PB - won't get there for my March marathon, but hopeful I will for the later one
  • Get to 100 ParkRun's - at 62 now
  • Get my weight back down under 55kg
  • Improve flexibility - get into a yoga routine
  • Improve strength - incorporate more HIIT and bodyweight workouts

Thanks for all the links Jordan, they look awesome.

jordanread

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 02:16:12 PM »
D&D, I've got you added to the list. I look forward to following your journey. Please let us know when you find a yoga and training regime, and if it's not on the list already, I'll make sure to add it.

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 05:02:42 PM »
First time gauntleter! (gauntletee?). I lift weights in my 420 sq ft apartment with home-built squat stands. Mostly barbell stuff and adjustable dumbbells.

I'm a few months into a, sadly, modified "Boring but Big" 5/3/1 weightlifting routine w/ very good adherence to the plan so my goals are results-oriented. I'm a certified "mirror lust"-er + "need to do unsexy training things in order to be able to still use my body at 40"-er. Related to that second part, astute observers will notice a distinct lack of squatting :( :( :(

170 pounds at 5 foot 9. If I stand in the right lighting and flex, the charitable among you could convincingly lie to me that you see like 3 abs. If I don't you can see a nice little beer bump.

Current calculator-estimated 1rm:
Press: 105
Row: 140   
RDL: 195
Bench: 170

Goals by 12/31/2018:
Press: 150
Row: 175
RDL: 260
Bench: 200
I'd like to approach a more consistent bodyweight but might need another year of lifting before I'm satisfied with what that would be (i.e.: it is lustylicious). Don't care what that # is, dictated by appearance. 2018's goal is to set the stage for this to be a 2019 goal.
I have two big groups of PT exercises/stretches I should do every day separate from all of this, 1 hour each. I'll set a goal of doing 200 days of group 1, 180 days of group 2.

Going to need a good mix of technique improvement, cooperation from my body re: health, and strength gains to get these!

jordanread

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 08:33:29 PM »
@swashbucklinstache , I've got you added. Welcome!

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »
D&D, I've got you added to the list. I look forward to following your journey. Please let us know when you find a yoga and training regime, and if it's not on the list already, I'll make sure to add it.

Thanks JR. Will let you know what I decide, going for Adrienne's 30 days of yoga to start.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 07:14:44 AM »
I'm back in. I fell off the wagon a bit in mid-2017. I kept running and that's it. Pretty much the story of my fitness life... I like running, everything else I'm kind of 'meh' about. I'm going to try to keep it simple. So here we go, some year goals and some monthly goals:

Year:
  • 1000 miles on the bike (Did not achieve this one in 2017, trying again)
  • Complete 2 Half Marathons in new states
  • Be mindful of the food I eat

January:
  • Run at least 4 times per week (It turned super cold yesterday! Need a little motivation here)
  • 60+ minutes of non-cardio per week

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 07:56:32 AM »
I'm in. I was doing great in 2017 until July, when my life became endless rounds of driving and coordinating rehab for an ill parent. I did manage to finish a half marathon, but ended up walking due to an unexpected asthma attack.

2018 Goals
1. Complete a half marathon (and PR...which should be easy right because last years was 3 hrs 20 minutes). I'd like to run 2 but am unsure if I can train enough for the one in May. Stretch goal: 2 half marathons.
2. Run one 5K on my own. I ran 2 in 2017 with a friend who is very out of shape and so we had pretty slow times (around 45 minutes).
3. Weight lifting 2X per week. (Not sure if this is enough to be helpful?). No specific goals. I have some free weights.

I would like to have some more specific goals that don't involve running but haven't figured out what is realistic with my schedule and location. Biking is difficult from my house and we don't have a gym/access to a pool. I'm open to suggestions for exercise that doesn't require equipment or me to be very fit, and can be done in short pockets of time.

jordanread

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »
@dreams_and_discoveries thanks for the update. I've added the 30 days of yoga to the resource list.
@hudsoncat & @Mongoose , I've got you two added. Glad to have you here.

So far, I'm seeing the six month mark as a common falling off point. I yo-yo'd a bit more than that, but one of my goals for this year is to make sure we all stay on track throughout the year.

I don't know that I'll have the time or inclination to do anything weekly, but I am going to be doing some monthly stuff for me, and will provide a nudge for everyone else at the same time. Otherwise we will need 52 volunteers :).

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »
Goals for 2018:

Main Results Goal - 23.5% body fat or below. 

Additional Goals -
Regain the ability to run 10k.
Run a mile in 7:15 or less.
Regain ability to do 20 pushups in a row.
Become able to do 3 pullups in a row.
Become able to do 15 burpees in a row.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 01:01:19 PM »
OK, I'm in -- first time for me.  Status:  female, 51, started Crossfit a little over a year ago, love-love-love it despite my general out-of-shapeness.  Alas, age + historic injuries/imbalances predispose me to injury, which doesn't mesh well with my tendency to push a little too hard.  So I have dual goals of kicking my ass into better shape, while at the same time reining myself in and acknowledging my limitations.  Specific goals include:

1.  Don't be a headass -- no stupid injuries*
2.  Work out at least 4x/week barring injury; do not work out 6x/week for more than 2 weeks in a row.**
3.  Specific achievement goals:
     a.  Do 10 "real" pushups (currently do box or knee pushups)
     b.  Back squat 185 (currently 170)
     c.  Do one %$#$#%@ pullup (currrently require two bands)

I also do hope to work on my weight and diet this year, but I need to focus on those more organically; years of "lose weight" resolutions have been about as helpful as one would expect.  The lifting makes me feel awesome about myself, though, because, shit, what 50-yr-old weenie-ass woman can deadlift 200 lbs, you know?  So my plan is to reframe my thinking around the things I need to do to fuel my overall fitness and health, which I hope will be more effective than making a specific resolution.

*E.g., next time we do a deadlift ladder, do not push through all five @205 when you feel the back start to go on the third lift.  Even if you're the last woman standing and everyone is cheering for you to finish.

**Even if it is one-rep max week, dammit.

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »
Been loosely involved the last 2 years so why not!

Rack Pull                1x5 @495
Weighted Dip          1x5 @90
Weighted Chin Up    1x5 @45
Trap Bar Deadlift     1x5 @405
Neck Curl               3x20 @90
Pushups                 1x50
Bulk to 220 lbs

Given myself pretty easy goals, the dips I hit this same goal in November but had to start going lighter after a mild injury.  I should hit most of these by June, but the trap bar deadlift will likely be toward the end of the year.  Have to build back up to pulling from the floor.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:32:13 PM by AcftW »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »
100% I'm back in! I work at a gym now so I have to ;)

Here's my goals:

• Work out 5x per week
  • Full consistent splits on one side
  • Choreograph + film a dance video
  • Stretch daily
  • Get back 2-pack abs by 7/1
  • Run half-marathon in September in under 2 hours

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 05:18:21 AM »
Hi Jordan
I made it 8 months in 2017 before I fell off, ha ha.  My shoulder crapped out on me again, and I failed on goals #1 and #2.  Succeeded on #3 though.

Same modest goals for this year:

- Do 5 good military style pushups
- Do 1 pull up
- Keep up current running, ~6 days per week

I am starting off January very slowly, and my goal for the month is to do some gentle shoulder exercises every day and ease back into it. 

Thanks for the great thread!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:23:23 PM by Trifele »

jordanread

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
I'm going to ramble for a bit here, but by the end of it, I should be able to pick out some goals to add to the post.

Since I started this gauntlet 4 years ago, or even before that, when I started looking into physical fitness, I've had one ultimate goal. That was to come up with a sustainable way of working out. I didn't want it to be a chore, or something I had to use willpower to do on a daily basis. My better half does video workouts (ChaLean Extreme, P90X, Insanity, Butt Bible, etc) every weekday morning. She says she doesn't really wake up until about halfway through. It's all on autopilot. I would absolutely love to be in that place, but I haven't yet gotten there. I get super motivated the first half of the year, make some impressive gains (or losses), but then backslide the rest of the year. So I obviously haven't gotten to the sustainable part. Or not the habit part. Sometimes it feels like my eyes are bigger than my mouth, and I bite off more than I can chew. I've determined that even though I have all these plans, these desires, these ideas, I've yet to figure out a way to make it habit, I've yet to get things on autopilot.

I've spent a lot of time trying to make this happen, trying to find joy in the process required to get to the really cool feats of strength, agility, and fitness. I've failed. But with this failure is an opportunity to try something else, something new(ish). My underlying goals remain the same, but the process of getting there is changing. I previously thought that embracing a plan that has steps from where I am to where I want to be would be the key. I personally have a problem with that. With something set in stone, when I invariably slip up, I think of the ripple effect it will have on my ultimate success, and it's too easy to get hopeless and give up. To that end, my journey goals are a bit different. I will still maintain my goals of a specific program (or two), but I will have a more important goal of generating a habit of movement daily. Whatever that winds up looking like, I need to focus on that. I'm thinking that it will need to be an outdoors thing, but we'll see.

And while it doesn't always directly effect things for everyone, I've found that mindfulness is super important for me. Being in the moment, focusing on the way my body moves, it's all a good thing, and it does a good job of making me focused. Even the requisite 10 minutes of meditation in the morning makes it more likely that I will get out and moving. To that end, I really want to combine my mindfulness with mobility, stretching, and warm ups. I have this foam roller, which is amazing, but I've only used it when I'm hurting bad. I'm thinking it should be part of my morning stretches or something. Also, I need to start morning stretches. :D

I'll have to delve deeper into some of the KStar Mobility stuff.

One thing I have known about for a while, but has been bothering me lately is my knee. It's nothing major, but I can feel it almost tweak. To me, that indicates a failure of the supporting muscles, so that is an additional thing I'm going to focus on. Later today, I will use this post to identify some additional goals to add. I will get everyone added today too.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 03:36:26 PM »
What's you main motivation?

Have you beat 2 hours before? that was one of my 2017 goals and I got pretty close at 2:04 and change. Going to try again this year.

My main motivation is vanity, and I am OK with that. I'm filming a dance video in June and I want to look awesome on it ;)

I got to 2:01 last time I did a half, and tend to hover around there. Pretty sure I can shave off 1.5 minutes with some speed training, as I was not really training beyond 10 miles a week (no speed work) last time I pulled a 2:01. Also I ran a 2:20 as a guide runner the very next day (pace was more about who I was a guide runner for, not me). SO I CAN DO IT.

jordanread

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 09:43:31 PM »
I've got everyone added. Somehow, while I was trying to figure out how I was going to incorporate mindfulness and stretches into a daily routine that complements my workout programs, I managed to go down a youtube rabbit hole on Wim Hof, and the breathing methods. Also, the cold water immersion brought some interesting ideas back to the forefront. I still need to iron it out, but whatever it is I decide, it will start tomorrow. Still getting over this damn cold too. Breathing is an extremely laborious proposition right now.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 12:36:07 AM »
RESERVED

The holiday season has been a busy one, so I'm a bit behind in pinpointing what my exact goals will be for 2018. I'd say that 2017 was my least successful in terms of overall fitness since I FIRE'd almost 4 years ago now - though this is probably more a comment on what I was able to achieve in the two previous years than my fitness being awful last year.  It was still light years ahead of what it was in the decade previous. Some may be aware of that story. :( 2017 was also the only year I haven't participated in the Strength and Fitness thread. Probably a coincidence, but I'm not taking any chances this year. ;)

As in the past my preference is to attack this with a balanced, 3-pronged attack of cardio, strength and diet. Yet, I feel like I need to change up the specifics within this in order to keep things fresh and interesting.

I will fill in the details here as my overall plan develops. A moderately paced 5km run tomorrow to kick things off. :)

I've been thinking about this a bit more...and last night I made the decision that 2018 would be the year I try to get in the best shape of my life. I say this knowing that at some point in my late 20's I was REALLY fit. But, those years are already fading into the mists of time so I think I must use the benchmark I managed to set in April of 2016...as a 44 year old. I'd really like to at least MATCH that level as a just about 46 year old...yipes. How did THAT happen.

I know this thread demands numbers and tangible benchmarks to hit...I just haven't wrapped my head around what these may be yet.

No...wait. My Garmin Vivoactive fitness tracker uses units called "intensity minutes"....and the default weekly goal is to achieve 150 intensity minutes per week. In the past, I've tried to hit a minimum of 750 intensity minutes per week. I will attempt to do so again. The intensity minutes system gives you credit for 2X minutes if your heart rate reaches the VIGOUROUS category - above 140 BPM for my age. And virtually all my cardio is done in this manner, so I can achieve the 750 intensity minutes by doing 375 minutes of VIGOUROUS exercise per week...which works out to around 50 minutes of intense cardio per day. Very tough. I will try to keep this up for the next month, then will take a break on a vacation in February, then resume again once I get home.

I don't really like talking weight numbers...I feel fixating on the scale can lead to trouble. But...I'd like to lose 12 to 15 pounds. I've lost 60 before so I am familiar with what this path looks like for me.

I could put forth bodyfat%, resting heart rate, 5 and 10k run time goals...but I'm not sure I want to...not yet at least. Really, I just want to get fit....really fit. I remember how I felt in 2016 - the memory of feeling light and strong, somehow imperious to gravity - and I want to feel that again.

JR, for now...put me down for a minimum of 750 intensity minutes weekly.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:13:02 PM by Jon_Snow »

jordanread

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 07:54:13 AM »
I've got you stubbed out JS. Glad you are back!

jordanread

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
So I made a comment in my journal that initially seemed too vague for a goal, but I decided to add it anyway. It kind of encapsulates some of the more fundamental aspects of my journey. So I added a new goal about developing a Habit of Movement. There are some excuses and stuff relating to how efficiently life is set up, but even with that efficiency, I need to make sure I'm still moving. And now, to read about breathing and stuff.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:21:37 PM by jordanread »

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »
OK, I'm in on this. 2017 was a year of really letting fitness slip away. The main factor was having a baby, our second. Between baby-related sleep deprivation, working full time, transporting 2 kids to 2 different locations (daycare, school), and my partner starting his own business, time and energy have become our most scarce resources. And then it becomes a feedback loop: lack of movement leads to physical discomfort which leads to worse sleep which leads to less energy which leads to lack of movement...

So in 2018, I want to break that cycle and build fitness back into my life. Sustainable fitness is a great way to think about it, jordanread--it's not just about hitting a DL max (though that can certainly be part of it) but about making space in my life for strength, movement, and play. For now, I'm marking my place here. I'll be back with some concrete goals.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
Since I keep mixing things up in exercise and diet, I'm going to keep this simple.

-Reduce body fat (I think I want to hit 16%, but since I've never been there, I'm not 100% on that.....I'll know it when I see it??)
-Improve flexibility (focus on improving shoulder and hip issues.  Examples of things I'd like to be able to do: warrior-1 with ease, splits, a reasonable pancake, a well aligned triangle pose)

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 11:18:14 AM »
I'd like to join.  This is my first time participating.  I'm a 38 year old female, 5'7 - 135lbs. 

2018 RUNNING GOALS
Complete November Project PR day in under :30 (consists of 40 burpees and a 5k run but it is a loop - not a straight road)
Run Petersburg Half Marathon on 4/21/18 in 1:54:59 or less
Run Patrick Henry 1/2 marathon - 1:49:59 on August 25, 2018
Run Richmond Marathon in 4:29:59 or less on November 10,2018
Run 2 miles in 0:14:59 or less by 7/5/18  -- last time I did this I was 22 years old
5K - :24 or less (7:43 pace)
10k - :51 or less (8:12 pace)

2018 FITNESS GOALS
10 pullups from a dead hang with a overhand grip
Complete MURPH as prescribed (no vest) on Memorial Day 05/28/2018
20 bodyweight dips (from parallel bars not a bench)
10 pistol squats each leg
Handstand hold for :30
Perform an overhead squat with 95 lbs

some of these goals are lofty -- especially the 5k & 10k goals but that is what motivates me. 

jordanread

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »
@tyrannostache , @Drole , @TX2RVA , I've got you added. Welcome to the gauntlet. @TX2RVA , that MURPH looks intense.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2018, 08:36:05 PM »
I've got everyone added. Somehow, while I was trying to figure out how I was going to incorporate mindfulness and stretches into a daily routine that complements my workout programs, I managed to go down a youtube rabbit hole on Wim Hof, and the breathing methods. Also, the cold water immersion brought some interesting ideas back to the forefront. I still need to iron it out, but whatever it is I decide, it will start tomorrow. Still getting over this damn cold too. Breathing is an extremely laborious proposition right now.

I did the breathing exercises a few weeks ago and it was pretty awesome. I got the tingles and everything. I need to do the cold baths but I just can’t bring myself to do it in the winter. I’ll do the breathing exercises in the morning before the gym, definitely need to get in the habit.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »
Okay, I need to be on this thread. I'm staring down the barrel of a sedentary year, with cramped accommodations that will make exercise difficult. The beginning will be simple, since my schedule is in a huge amount of flux

Jan & Feb Goals:
1. 30 min body weight routine, 2 times per week
2. 30 min cardio, 2 times per week
3. Don't freak out

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2018, 11:12:12 AM »

RESERVED

The holiday season has been a busy one, so I'm a bit behind in pinpointing what my exact goals will be for 2018. I'd say that 2017 was my least successful in terms of overall fitness since I FIRE'd almost 4 years ago now - though this is probably more a comment on what I was able to achieve in the two previous years than my fitness being awful last year.  It was still light years ahead of what it was in the decade previous. Some may be aware of that story. :( 2017 was also the only year I haven't participated in the Strength and Fitness thread. Probably a coincidence, but I'm not taking any chances this year. ;)

As in the past my preference is to attack this with a balanced, 3-pronged attack of cardio, strength and diet. Yet, I feel like I need to change up the specifics within this in order to keep things fresh and interesting.

I will fill in the details here as my overall plan develops. A moderately paced 5km run tomorrow to kick things off. :)

Hey Jon_Snow, nice to see you back! I can't write that without thinking and mentioning I finally caught up to real time on GoT, man what a show.

I bold-ed your mention of the "3 pronged attack". I've had years where I did pretty well with 1 or 2 but never really stayed consistent for all 3 for a long enough duration. Going to try that this year.

-----------

2018 goals:

-Run a sub 2 hour half marathon

-Get a 6 pack or as close as I can by June 15th

-Do 10 consecutive pull-ups by years end

-Mountain bike 600+ miles in 12 or more unique places

LWTG! Good to see you here man. Let's DO THIS.

Other than the biking stuff, I should be able to hit similar goals if I reach the fitness level I want in 2018. Thinking about how AMAZING I felt in Baja, in April 2016, I really can't wait to get started in earnest. Well, I officially started yesterday...with an 800 calorie burn yesterday at the gym. 1 hour of stationary bike and a 25 minute incline/walk - flat sprints on the treadmill.

I've NEVER tracked my calories, but I'm attempting to dip my toe into these waters now. Already I can see how it should contribute to dietary accountability. The last bit of Christmas junk, a bag of Skittles, was consumed last night. Even with that, thanks in large part due to the cardio session, I still acheived a large caloric defecit.

ETA: I've been thinking a bit more about my "3 pronged" approach to fitness. Without consciously thinking about it, depending on my current goals, I am consistently adjusting the percentages amongst diet/cardio/strength training. As my current mode is to lose the flab I have accumulated during the last half of 2017 I think I can summarize my strategy, until early February at least as....

40% diet
40% cardio
20% strength training (just enough to maintain range of movement and general muscle tone)

After our February vacation I will likely increase the strength quotient and ramp up the cardio....and MAYBE loosen up the diet a bit.

Something like...

30% diet
30% cardio
40% strength training
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:13:28 PM by Jon_Snow »

jordanread

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
@LWTG , @Jon_Snow , and @Sailor Sam , I've got you all added to the tracking post. @LWTG, if you can take a look at that ab goal, I wasn't quite sure how to word it, but I think I got it.

JS, while the other metrics are something I've looked at, the one thing I actually find myself interested in is that resting heart rate. It's a cool metric. Oh, and since I don't get notified when you edit a comment, can you ping me when you modify it moving forward? No big deal now, but as the thread gets longer, I don't want to miss anything.

Do your paddles count as Vigorous?

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
  • Paid to optimize. Love not to.
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »
I definitely want to jump in on this as well JR! I write out my goals on a post-it note around the house for motivation/accountability but I really value the added publicity that this offers so thank you!

2018 Goals

1. Run a 5K in <17:00
2. Complete 100 continuous push ups
3. Complete a handstand not using wall for support
4. Strengthen core to eliminate lower back problems
5. Run <4:40 mile
6. Understand how on Earth to use kettlebells properly

jordanread

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »
I definitely want to jump in on this as well JR! I write out my goals on a post-it note around the house for motivation/accountability but I really value the added publicity that this offers so thank you!

Welcome JMW!! I personally don't know anything about kettlebells besides some weird thing I vaguely remember about squishing a dogs head. However, I bet that there are some resources that people know about here (that aren't on the list) and can share. And if you find something that is helpful, just post it here, and I'll make sure to get it added to the resource list.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
Week 1 of 2018 is over for me now.  I am doing Sun-Sat in order to take away one of my procrastination techniques (I'll do it tomorrow).  I got out for my run just before dusk and got 2 miles in 29 minutes.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »
To report in for my first week.

Did Parkrun, yoga every day and some press ups. Also mainly kept to my marathon training plan, did  14 mile long run today, which although it was very slow, I was happy with it. However, the training plan was a bit ambitious, the 8 miles of hills on Thu did get truncated to 5 miles...

So all in a good start, plan for this week is to do all the miles on the training plan, and up the bodyweight exercises gradually. Yoga is becoming a fun part of my bedtime routine, and easy to fit in every day.

jordanread

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2018, 10:47:43 AM »
Yoga is becoming a fun part of my bedtime routine, and easy to fit in every day.

I am curious about your routine. Also, thank you for reminding me that there are other parts of the day in which I can do stuff.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2018, 11:47:46 AM »
JS, while the other metrics are something I've looked at, the one thing I actually find myself interested in is that resting heart rate. It's a cool metric. Oh, and since I don't get notified when you edit a comment, can you ping me when you modify it moving forward? No big deal now, but as the thread gets longer, I don't want to miss anything.

Do your paddles count as Vigorous?

Resting heart rate really is one of the best metrics in monitoring overall fitness levels...and the better fitness trackers do a great job of keeping track of this. Again, I will reference April 2016 (my peak fitness level in recent memory) in which my resting heart rate was in the mid-40's. Currently, I'm in the low 50's. JR...might as well add RHR of 45 BPM as one of my "goals".  May as well throw in a 10% Body fat percentage goal too....because I was in that neighbourhood as well two years ago. I will try to revisit that state too.

I've tracked so many paddles, of different lengths and intensities to know that it doesn't fall into the VIGOUROUS category. Unless I increase my paddlestrokes into an all out sprint, I have a hard time getting my heart rate above 100 BPM. And because I like to enjoy the natural surroundings around while I'm paddling, kayak sprint mode really takes away from this ability.

Kayaking is, at best, a MODERATE cardio workout....but a GREAT upper torso (especially arms, shoulders and lats) muscle toning activity. If you concentrate on executing a little "crunch" with each stroke...it can be decent for the abs too. The chest can be worked too...if you paddle backwards. I've this weird desire to paddle around JSI in reverse this Summer. :)

And yeah...as I fiddle about with my goals, I'll let you know if I modify my original post...but I'll likely just make new posts from here on out.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2018, 11:53:43 AM »
Yoga is becoming a fun part of my bedtime routine, and easy to fit in every day.

I am curious about your routine. Also, thank you for reminding me that there are other parts of the day in which I can do stuff.

Sadly it's not very exciting..... mainly spurned on from the fact I discovered my PJ's are perfect yoga attire, but others clothes are not. I tidy up a bit, get into PJ's, get out the mat, fire up the yoga video, do some light bodyweight exercises while she chats...then yoga concentrating on really stretching for 25-30 mins. Then teeth and straight to bed.

Well that's the aspirational aim. Reality may differ.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
I’m back!  Thanks again Jordan and All for the motivation and awesomeness!

Goals:

Similar to last year, but simplifying workout tracking and adding splits training.  I don’t expect to be able to actually do splits anytime soon, but looking for general improvement in flexibility.  Resources has a “90 day program”, but I expect to do it all year (and likely forever as I’ve found I regress if don’t keep it up in the ~1 month I tried in 2017). 

—Reddit Bodyweight Fitness workout:  9x a month (or more) & improve via harder progressions or weight (no specific target improvement...just keep getting better).
—Splits:  Every day is Plan...goal = 20x a month (or more).   
—Yoga and/or Qigong:  4x a month (or more).
—Sleep:  Re—Read Books to remind myself of the power of the mind and positive attitude that I don’t have Insomnia...

Resources:

Workout Program:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine/

Splits:
http://antranik.org/antraniks-splits-routine/

Yoga:
https://m.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

Bodyweight Fitness and mobility;
https://m.youtube.com/user/FitnessFAQs

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCU0DZhN-8KFLYO6beSaYljg

https://gmb.io/articles/

Qigong:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zzD4svzG9js

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3K-0JpiJu-o

Sleep:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0805089586/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1515362008&sr=8-2

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:18:56 PM by 2300 »

jordanread

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2018, 04:25:40 PM »
@2300 , I've got you added. I'll pull the resources out and put them into the resources post this week (maybe today, but we'll see). @Jon_Snow , I've added those two additional goals. MXT and I had an interesting discussion about kayaking backwards. And, even with everything I've researched, you were the first to mention RHR in this context that I came across. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is what I had heard of, but never considered it a metric as far as fitness. No idea why, but you can take credit for that.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »

Hmm, yes.  Bedtime yoga is intriguing.  I will have to remember this once I reach my goal of doing AN pushup. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2018, 10:16:28 PM »
Mondays (when I'm in Fitness Mode) have always been my big workout day. Sunday is typically a "do nothing" day do there is lots in the tank.

Not sure I'm trusting the RHR number or the calories credited to the weight workout, but it felt good to be back "on it". One month of this and I'll be ready to relax a bit in Baja...where, incidentally, my DW is running a half marathon. We are on this journey together. :)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 10:55:08 PM »
I’ve been doing the Yoga With Adriene 30day challenge. It’s fulfilling my gauntlet goals, but reminding me of how out of shape and overweight I am. These reminders lead to >1 freaking out. I suppose that balances to zero, eh?

Comfort me, Snow. Do it now.