Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2018  (Read 77871 times)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
Re: Strength & Fitness 2018
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2018, 11:30:42 PM »
You're gonna be fine dude.

We're all in this together.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2018, 04:44:52 AM »
So far I have a few goals for this year. The first is vague, sorry:
- go as much as possible to the gym at work before my membership expires in June (at least once a week). This will be kept in check by a couple of my goals though:

1. Deadlift 2x bodyweight (raw no straps belts or help) by June (currently 1RM appx 145kg (PB), BW 81kg).
2. 10reps 300kg on leg press machine (current 260kg no worries. Did 5x270kg the other day without hassle). Update, goal complete 5th Feb! Will aim to be well above 4x bodyweight on this 320kg but will also focus more on endurance and my other goals (eg Deadlift, chinups, row).
3. Install a chin-up bar or rockclimbing holds at home by June. Get back to at least 10x full dead hang overgrasp chinups by end of year (currently maybe 3?).
4. Do at least 20 "Stair Runs" with my mate Stephen (he has agreed)
5. Do a 24hr Rogaine, competitively with Stephen (should be doing one in July).
6. Get to 1min34second 500m Row by Jan 31st! (This is a comp set by the gym. One of the guys in my lab group did 1.34 the other day, I did 1.39). Update: FAILED. Tested Jan 31, one second slower! I had a few nights of not enough sleep leading up to it which may have contributed. I finished feeling better though, so at least that's a plus.
7. Get to 1min30second 500m Row by June.

Cheers and good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:56:54 PM by Eucalyptus »

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »
@tyrannostache , @Drole , @TX2RVA , I've got you added. Welcome to the gauntlet. @TX2RVA , that MURPH looks intense.

Thanks so much for adding me to the tracking post, jordanread, and parsing my vague goals. I've been planning and want to make my goals a little more specific:

Weightlifting or bodyweight strength workout 3x/week (even if it has to be after 8pm!)
Walk, run, and bike more, including biking or walking to work/daycare 2x/week once roads are safe for baby bike trailer or jog stroller.
Get outside to play with kids more--start teaching 5YO to ski, skate, and paddle.

jordanread

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2018, 10:49:39 AM »
@Eucalyptus , I've got you added to the tracking post. @tyrannostache , I've updated your goals.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:45 PM »
Thanks!

I'm pretty determined to hit some of these goals, particularly the 2x BW deadlift. I've had this as distant goal post for years, but my random gym memberships and then attendance and then injuries (not from DL, ankles and such from other things) have held me back.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2018, 11:36:40 AM »
I’ll jump in this year. 2017 was a mixed bag for me. My diet is great, I’m a keto guy, high amounts of meat/eggs/dairy, small amount of veg and occasional berries. We produce about half our own meat (rabbit) and eggs, hoping to increase that this year. We grow a lot of our veg and berries.

Keto works well for me and is very easy to stick to, as cheating on it makes you violently ill. I’m at my lowest adult weight except for one other period, and during that period I was biking a shit ton of miles every day. Would like to get under 200, which I haven’t weighed since I was about 13 (very chubby kid).

My homestead requires a certain baseline of activity every day. Moderate lifting (water and feed) and activity. I feel like I can shovel dirt, carry feed bags or bales of hay at a moderate pace all day if I needed to. Even more so since starting keto. My intense cardio needs some work, something really hammered home since I joined a homeschool family hiking club. I get winded easily climbing hills when hiking, etc. Need to get around to having my bike repaired and then use it. I also enjoy walking and hiking, but struggle to fit it in during the winter when it’s so goddamn cold and dark.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
Jan. 5   - 197 lbs, 17% BF
Jan. 12 - 189 lbs, 14% BF

On course...probably ahead of schedule really. I've been diligent in using a combo of diet and exercise to fashion a significant caloric deficit per day. Much of my excess, and unwanted weight was a result of excess over December and into the first part of January - I enjoyed all the excellent food and drink and was quite aware of the effects as they inevitably manifested. I knew that a considerable amount of weight would literally melt off rapidly if I put the work in. Averaging 800 calories of exercise burned per day for my first week certainly qualifies I think. :) The remaining 7 pounds I'd like to lose will come off much more slowly...which is just fine.

The current plan is to keep this up for another 3 weeks, catch my breath in Baja in early February, then return home and resume intense training until May...when my gym-centric focus switches to my outdoor hobbies. The intent is hit the ground running in a very fit state so that I can shoot for some ambitious goals that relate to those hobbies. I might post some of these here at some point.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »
Week 2 is complete! Jogged first thing today, I think it made a difference. Got all the way through Holy Wars...Punishment Due (a 6+ minute song) before walking.

Made some progress on pushups too.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
It's Sunday and that means the end of my first week of dedication to a new program of diet and exercise that will (hopefully) see me reach the levels of fitness that I achieved a few years ago.

A screenshot from my Garmin fitness app provides a snapshot of what my week of exercise looked like. A BALANCED (and this will continue to be a theme for me) mix of cardio and strength work. As is clearly evident, gym bike work is featuring heavily right now, but once I get a bit more excess weight off I'll start to ramp up the running. I've learned from past mistakes the cost of running too much before my body is ready for it.

The one run recorded happened today. My DW and I ran 7k to a local craft brewery where we enjoyed a couple of pilsners and lagers. Remember what I said about BALANCE? This fitness regime has plenty of room for occasional treats such as a couple of brews as a reward at the end of an exercise session. At this very moment, as I'm typing this I'm eating Twizzlers. Again....balance.

One of my goals to hit a minimum of 750 "intensity minutes" was easily made in week one. It's as though my body is telling me that it WANTS to get back to where it was previously. Throughout the week I kept pushing, waiting for fatigue to set in...."listening to my body" is a term that is commonly heard, and I have definitely to do this. I was listening for signs of my body telling me to take a rest day this week...it didn't happen. It might next week, or the week after, and I will dial things back accordingly.

Another snapshot showing the past week in terms of "intensity minutes". As expected, Monday was a big activity day, with both cardio and weights. And just as I was expecting normal fatigue to be setting in on Friday...instead I got a second wind and just crushed out an amazing workout. Saturday amounted to the closest to a "rest day" that I had in Week 1, but DW and I still got out for an 8k walk.

And to help further explain the concept behind "intensity minutes", I'll post this. It really helps illustrate how you can really increase your numbers if you can elevate you workout into the VIGOROUS category.

Week 2 starts tomorrow. :)

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2018, 07:24:13 AM »
Of the very long list of goals I listed on the previous page, these are the ones I'm currently working towards:

-Petersburg half marathon <= 1:54:59
-Pull up 1 set/10
-Dips 1 set/20
-Pistol squats 1 set/10
--

- I'm behind on my mileage due to the weather and we are supposed to get more snow on Wednesday and I really don't want to run on the treadmill.
- My PR for pullups is holding at 5.  However, I continue to get stronger at chinups so at least I can see some progress.
- PR for dips is 12 and I don't doubt I'll hit my goal of 20 by the end of the year.
- My pistol squats are trash!  I have the strength just not the mobility so I'm focusing on increasing flexibility in my lower legs and ankles for now. 

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2018, 09:00:40 AM »
It's kind of hilarious how far I am (mentally) from the original goals I set myself by the end of the year, but it is always fun to start a new year and set fresh goals ;)

THIS YEAR'S GOALS:

- attend 100 krav maga classes in 2018
- pass Level 1 belt test in krav maga
- lose 1 inch around waist and maintain

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
@jordanread

Will you also add Overhead Press 1x5 @135 lbs to my goals in the tracking post?  I’m committing to actually trying to build it up, and getting over my fear of dislocating my shoulder (again).

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2018, 02:49:03 AM »
Ok, I’m going to do this. Hubs and I are talking about maybe trying for a baby later this year and I’d love to go into that journey in great physical shape.

The specific goals are a bit trickier, and I can’t decide whether I want to join a gym again.

For now I’m going with:
Restart (and finish) the couch to 5k program.
Design a strength training program I can do at home without hating my life, then actually do it 2x per week.
Gentle yoga more nights than not.

asosharp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2018, 04:17:21 AM »
Anyone here use a Fitbit? I have one but I don't have any friends who use it! I'd love to be able to do the challenges and have people on my list that I can do them with.

I really need to lose weight, which I've documented on some other thread about losing weight challenges or something or other in this Throw Down The Gauntlet thingo.

I attempted to do more exercise last year - I took up zumba, Latin dancing, and golf. Unfortunately golf also ruined my knee, and I'm currently seeing the physio.

My #1 goal is to getting my knee into shape, with the help of the physio.

I officially joined the gym yesterday, 12 month contract.
I'd like to do at least 8,000 steps a day as that's the amount of steps WHO recommends.
Also do all of my physio stuff every day, which means going to the gym daily.
I'd also like to lose at least 10 k.g. by the end of the year.

After my knee gets better, I am interested in getting back into zumba and dance classes. I have an 'ultimate' goal where I would love to teach dance class one day.

Not sure about doing golf again though lol... my physio says I shouldn't be put off golf but get a better instructor. A friend told me about a golf club which does 1.5 hour sessions and apparently most of it is to do drills so that golfers don't injure themselves. I'll think about it because surprisingly even my friends who are notorioius for not playing sports actually play golf so it's something the girls and I can do together even if it's just at the driving range.

jordanread

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2018, 07:23:39 AM »
@flan @chasingthegoodlife @asosharp I've got you all added to the tracking post. Please look over the goals and make sure I didn't screw anything up.

@AcftW I've added the Overhead Press to your goals.

jordanread

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2018, 08:02:54 AM »
@asosharp you brought up an interesting point. I know @Jon_Snow uses garmin now, we do have a strava group (that I really should put as a resource), and many other people have used fitbits throughout the past. My sense of those communities are that they are a touch more competition than support, so I personally don't join them. But, if there are already existing Mustachian groups for some of these platforms, I'd definitely be interested in people posting them here.

So does anyone have existing groups in any of these platforms designed for Mustachians and/or support?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »
@asosharp you brought up an interesting point. I know @Jon_Snow uses garmin now, we do have a strava group (that I really should put as a resource), and many other people have used fitbits throughout the past. My sense of those communities are that they are a touch more competition than support...

Correct, I use the Garmin ecosystem now. I made the switch from Fitbit because I wasn't very pleased with Fitbit build quality...they had the tendancy to disintegrate on my wrist...sun + sea water didn't agree with them it seemed. I've heard it said that the Fitbit software is better than Garmin's....but for my own purposes, I really need something that will physically endure sometimes extreme outdoor environments.

And for whatever reason, I have always been very good at self-motivation, so the joining of online fitness groups and challenges would probably benefit me much.

I'm just off to the gym for a cardio session which will consist of 30 minutes of incline (8%) treadmill walking and 30 minutes of stationary bike (Level 15 resistance). These activities will allow me to keep my heart rate between 145 and 155 BPM, for a total calorie burn of around 800 - and another 120 in my weekly "intensity minutes" bank (remember, X2 credit for VIGOUROUS minutes).

I'm really starting to feel good...the process of being leaner, lighter, stronger in combination with increased cardiovascular endurance is progressing well. I found myself today realizing that my current regime is pretty much identical to the one I embarked upon immediately following my FIRE in 2014. That journey saw me lose almost 60 pounds. Thankfully, I do not nearly have as far to go this time to get to my desired destination. I can't see not being there by April...when I will leave the gym-scape behind and switch over to my outdoor pursuits. 

JR...I might just post a rather bizarre kayaking goal on the board. I need to think further on it's feasibility....or ridiculousness. ;)

jordanread

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2018, 01:04:02 PM »
Correct, I use the Garmin ecosystem now. I made the switch from Fitbit because I wasn't very pleased with Fitbit build quality...they had the tendancy to disintegrate on my wrist...sun + sea water didn't agree with them it seemed. I've heard it said that the Fitbit software is better than Garmin's....but for my own purposes, I really need something that will physically endure sometimes extreme outdoor environments.

I've heard, and experienced the same.

And for whatever reason, I have always been very good at self-motivation, so the joining of online fitness groups and challenges would probably benefit me much.

I'm just off to the gym for a cardio session which will consist of 30 minutes of incline (8%) treadmill walking and 30 minutes of stationary bike (Level 15 resistance). These activities will allow me to keep my heart rate between 145 and 155 BPM, for a total calorie burn of around 800 - and another 120 in my weekly "intensity minutes" bank (remember, X2 credit for VIGOUROUS minutes).

I'm really starting to feel good...the process of being leaner, lighter, stronger in combination with increased cardiovascular endurance is progressing well. I found myself today realizing that my current regime is pretty much identical to the one I embarked upon immediately following my FIRE in 2014. That journey saw me lose almost 60 pounds. Thankfully, I do not nearly have as far to go this time to get to my desired destination. I can't see not being there by April...when I will leave the gym-scape behind and switch over to my outdoor pursuits. 

JR...I might just post a rather bizarre kayaking goal on the board. I need to think further on it's feasibility....or ridiculousness. ;)

Dude, by all means post the goal. How'd you do for last year's  2016's goal of 500K paddled?

I've a sneaking suspicion it might involve backwards paddling.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2018, 03:49:41 PM »
Dude, by all means post the goal. How'd you do for last year's  2016's goal of 500K paddled?

Your suspicion is pretty damned accurate. ;) I've goofed around with backwards paddling before, and MAYBE done a single kilometre in one shot...but a 20km+, around-the-island soujourn would be a much different story. I know for a fact that it would be using completely different muscle groups than the forward stroke does...and a ocean touring kayak is not designed to track very straight backwards and there would be constant looking behind to gauge my route...so the process is likely to become annoying at some point. I suspect this will be a lifetime "one off" event if I do it. It's not really a fitness thing though is it? More of a "why the hell not" thing. But then again, what good is FIRE if you can't occasionally do goofy shit? ;)

I believe I did pull off my 500km's paddled in 2016....I just can't remember if I posted the official results or not. I'll keep track of my distance paddled this year just out of curiousity, but not planning to hit any particular distances.

In other, actual fitness related news....I hit the wall HARD today. Had to dial back the resistance on the bike several levels. This is body telling me something. So I will listen.

jordanread

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »

Your suspicion is pretty damned accurate. ;) I've goofed around with backwards paddling before, and MAYBE done a single kilometre in one shot...but a 20km+, around-the-island soujourn would be a much different story. I know for a fact that it would be using completely different muscle groups than the forward stroke does...and a ocean touring kayak is not designed to track very straight backwards and there would be constant looking behind to gauge my route...so the process is likely to become annoying at some point. I suspect this will be a lifetime "one off" event if I do it. It's not really a fitness thing though is it? More of a "why the hell not" thing. But then again, what good is FIRE if you can't occasionally do goofy shit? ;)

The best fitness things are based in "Why the hell not" IMHO. 

I believe I did pull off my 500km's paddled in 2016....I just can't remember if I posted the official results or not. I'll keep track of my distance paddled this year just out of curiosity, but not planning to hit any particular distances.

You didn't post. But awesome!!

In other, actual fitness related news....I hit the wall HARD today. Had to dial back the resistance on the bike several levels. This is body telling me something. So I will listen.

How many of you hit the wall this week? What does it mean to you?

Spoon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2018, 03:39:02 AM »
Hi Jordanread, I’m in!

My fitness history:
My first full time job was as a bicycle courier, I was riding 600km+ (my guesstimate) a week, training twice a week for rugby, and playing a match on the weekend. I will never be this fit again, but I do find it easy to get my resting heart rate down. That lasted around 6 months, before I started a variety of less active jobs. For the next 6 years or so I spent regular time in the gym and did some yoga. My next major job change was into construction and most days involve moderate physical activity, with not very much cardio. I do a small amount of cardio each year before I lose interest and quit. Gym work is out, but I have the equipment at home for bodyweight fitness, which I did last summer.

The goals:
Increase flexibility, strengthen core, increase fitness and lower body fat percentage.

The plan:
I will do 2 yoga sessions a week. I am a fan of Yoga with Adriene and have done her programs on and off for a few years. I started her 30 day True series and will move on to another 30 day program after that. I plan on doing some extra planks with my sessions from here on in which will increase core strength. Currently sitting on 51/104

I will do 26 days of intermittent fasting,using Michael Mosley’s system. When I am working I lose weight anyway, as I snack less and burn more energy. I have a month holiday booked in the middle of the year and would like to start that in good shape. Currently sitting on 8/26

I will do 3 cardio sessions a fortnight. I plan on starting with running to build fitness before moving to H.I.I.T. I did a few months of Body for life around 10 years ago and found the cardio plan there good, so that will be my starting point. Currently sitting on 34/78

I will do one strength session a week. I have never been able to do 10 pull-ups in a row (got to 9 around 9 years ago) and would be pumped to reach this goal. Currently sitting on 12/52

Goodluck to everyone
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:32:49 PM by Spoon »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2018, 04:47:55 PM »
Jan. 19 - 187 lbs, 14% BF

I'm ready to declare the "holiday bloat" gone. Now it's just going to be slow, steady progress until I hit my goals. My DW is in the midst of her half marathon training so if a break in the weather materializes tomorrow we are going to go for a 12km run. I haven't run that kind of distance in quite a while, subsisting instead on a diet of 5 and 7k's. I feel good. I think I'm ready.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2018, 10:20:30 AM »

I'm ready to declare the "holiday bloat" gone. Now it's just going to be slow, steady progress until I hit my goals. My DW is in the midst of her half marathon training so if a break in the weather materializes tomorrow we are going to go for a 12km run. I haven't run that kind of distance in quite a while, subsisting instead on a diet of 5 and 7k's. I feel good. I think I'm ready.

Well damn....I have to ask...what is your diet?  10 lbs in 2 weeks is mighty impressive to me when you are at that % BF.  I note your very intense workout post above, but would be interested in learning a bit more about what you are doing.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2018, 11:53:48 AM »

No wall, Jordan.  I feel great!  Like my body is saying "What took you so long to get back to strength training, slug?"  :)

Herk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2018, 03:47:17 PM »
I will also join in, as I think it is a good way of holding yourself accountable.

I've been gaining weight more or less for 15 years now, and this is the year it will turn around!

I don't have a working scale right now, but I would imagine I weigh north of 120 kg. I would like to get down to 100 at the end of the summer (31/8). And in the long term down to 80 kg.
I am also serioulsy inflexible, so I will work on that too.

I have already started this process:
  • counting calories
  • Daily short yoga-program
  • Weight lifting program 1-2 times per week (will increase to 3 times per week when my body feels ready for that).
  • 2 hikes per month
  • Once a week longer yoga program

So far it feels great, already lost a bit more than an inch around my waist! Next weekend will be a longer hike for at least 4-5 hours with snowshoes.

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
  • Paid to optimize. Love not to.
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »
Just wanted to check in and provide an update on progress.

Been getting up to do my workouts at 4:30AM so that way I make sure I "put first things first" as the saying goes.  Got in 21 miles two weeks ago and 23.3 miles in the the week that just ended today so the mileage is building up nicely.  Pace has dropped down from 7:18/mile to an average of 7:03/mile for the training runs so I feel pretty good about increasing the speed components now. 

Push ups are up from 20 in a sitting to 50 in a sitting after just 2 weeks of doing them daily.  Here's to hoping that this sort of pattern continues onwards! 

Now I just need to pick some 5K races to actually get a benchmark 5K time down and start looking more into Kettlebells. 

If this all keeps going at this rate, I'm going to need some new goals by June!

jordanread

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2018, 09:05:49 PM »
Kicking ass everyone!! @Spoon and @Patrik , I've got you too added.

I've got some things I want to get written out, but I won't get it written up until Monday, which is coincidentally the first real bad weather day we'll have and my first opportunity to overcome some motivation issues I've been dealing with.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2018, 05:09:43 PM »

Well damn....I have to ask...what is your diet?  10 lbs in 2 weeks is mighty impressive to me when you are at that % BF.  I note your very intense workout post above, but would be interested in learning a bit more about what you are doing.

Thank you for your interest Drole. You made note of the intensity and duration of my weekly exercise regime...but yeah, that's only one part of the story. My diet is fairly locked down Monday to Friday. A typical day probably amounts to around 1700 - 1900 calories daily...so before all the workouts I'm already in a significant caloric deficit when according to my fitness apps my maintenance level is around 2300 calories. I'm avoiding all sugar and trying to limit my carbs to whole wheat sources and trying to eat ample protein to hopefully avoid to avoid possible muscle loss while I'm in this cardio, bodyfat loss mode. I tend to relax on the diet discipline during the weekends in terms of overall calories - but I'm still trying to avoid Pizza Hut type pitfalls. I'm actually noticeably stronger in the gym over the last two weeks so I'm very pleased with this. The whole idea that you must "bulk up" to get stronger has not been my experience. During my 60 pound weight loss 3 years ago, my strength and muscle tone increased simultaneously as the body fat melted off. This process is occurring right now, albeit on a smaller scale.

I'm actually feeling like I'm only a few weeks away from dialing back the cardio and diet (in terms of calorie counting) to focus on ramping up the strength training aspect a bit more. Over the past few years I'll admit that I got caught up with the whole vanity angle of getting "in shape"...some call this phenomenon "mirror lust". Increasingly though, I am coming to believe that the HEART is the most important muscle in the body...and the idea that you can build up your heart (like you can your biceps) to such an extent that it doesn't have to work that hard to push blood through your body (this is the science behind a low resting heart rate), and so that it actually becomes a challenge to become tired and winded....THIS is really what I'm interested in. Not so much the beach body anymore...though this is a pleasant byproduct of the whole process...my DW would agree I think. ;)

A snapshot of the past week....

And I blew by my 750 intensity minute goal again...despite hitting a bit of a wall of Thursday...but bounced back in a big way on Friday.

Our intended 12km yesterday turned into an 11km run as the heavens opened up in a typical PNW deluge...and I didn't have my iPhone (my music source) protected in it's usual sandwich ziploc bag, so we cut it 1 km short. Still, a pretty good run, and I can walk with minimal pain today so that is what I call a win!

Tomorrow is Monday, and thus starts another week on the path towards health and fitness!

jordanread

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2018, 06:00:04 PM »
I think I speak for all of us when I say I really enjoyed that write up @Jon_Snow , including the way you phrased the Resting Heart Rate*.

It doesn't look like we so far have as many people doing the C25K as in previous years, but your last sentence did bring up something that I think would be useful, if you don't mind expanding. I know that you've previously struggled with some achilles issues, and also running on dry or wet sand. Are you still having issues with that?

*I still almost instinctively always write out BMR, for Basal Metabolic Rate, because I use the terms interchangeably, even though they aren't (which I had to confirm and found this excellent response)**.

**I also just realized that the Fitness StackExchange should totally be in the resource post...an issue that I will definitely remedy.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2018, 10:04:39 PM »

Well, I usually talk myself out of working out *too* hard, so have never experienced The Wall (getting to the point of physical exhaustion/sickness; not being able to complete a planned workout).  I would be quite surprised with myself if I ever get to that point; it would be vastly out of character.

I tend to agree with J_S that the heart is the most important muscle.  It's much of the impetus for my focus on fitness.  When I got to the point that I could not walk up the two flights of stairs to my condo without being short of breath with pounding heart, that was my cue to do something.  Extra weight/vanity has not been enough of a motivator.  Well, I am hoping/expecting to lose some weight as well.

This week I did not get my run in time (Saturday).  So that's one out of 52 or 2% of my yearly goal missed.  I am giving myself a pass because I had a cold in the last half of last week AND I did run 2 miles today.

Edited today: Today's run was good.  I ran for longer than last week before walking.  Not sure of the time, but based on landmarks on the course.  Also, it might have taken only 35 for the whole 2 miles.  I really gotta start noting the time I start :-/

Still progressing with pushups, too.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:15:05 PM by oneday »

asosharp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2018, 03:25:56 AM »
@asosharp you brought up an interesting point. I know @Jon_Snow uses garmin now, we do have a strava group (that I really should put as a resource), and many other people have used fitbits throughout the past. My sense of those communities are that they are a touch more competition than support, so I personally don't join them. But, if there are already existing Mustachian groups for some of these platforms, I'd definitely be interested in people posting them here.

So does anyone have existing groups in any of these platforms designed for Mustachians and/or support?

Ah I see... that's a shame!

By the way yes you got my goals down right. :)

jordanread

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2018, 07:52:00 AM »

Ah I see... that's a shame!

By the way yes you got my goals down right. :)

I'm glad I got your goals down right. As far as the group, I'd say give it two weeks, and create one yourself if you can. Let me know, and it shall be added to the resource post for the foreseeable future. I'm not familiar with it, but if you need help, feel free to PM me and we'll go from there.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »

I looked back at my log and realized that the day you posted this question was a really rough workout day. I pushed through a swim I didn't enjoy and then I struggled through two miles on the treadmill (it was SLICK outside), had to walk a bit, shrugged, and called it a day. Took Friday as an easy day, just gentle yoga and and some other easy stretching. Saturday I popped off five miles running without an issue. Sunday was a good swim, some weights, and a short run.

For me, if I have a bad workout day I look back at my log and usually realize it's been a while since I had an easy day or a full rest day. That usually gets me back on track pretty quickly. If I have several bad workouts in a row, it's almost always because I'm starting to get sick.

jordanread

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2018, 09:08:03 AM »
@HarbingerofBunnies I just realized there weren't any goals I was able to parse. What did you want on the tracking post?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »
@HarbingerofBunnies I just realized there weren't any goals I was able to parse. What did you want on the tracking post?

Nothing measurable right now. I’ll try and think of something.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »

Have not hit any wall yet, though not exactly sure what that means to me but I guess just losing motivation or not getting enough rest? Not sure

Not to call you out, but didn't you have a bike trip last fall that didn't go to well?  Or maybe you have a different definition of The Wall than I do.

jordanread

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2018, 02:00:22 PM »

Have not hit any wall yet, though not exactly sure what that means to me but I guess just losing motivation or not getting enough rest? Not sure

Not to call you out, but didn't you have a bike trip last fall that didn't go to well?  Or maybe you have a different definition of The Wall than I do.

I thought the same thing, but then I realized I asked about this week. :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
Hi everyone, inspiring to read your posts.
I would like to join this challenge!

I am fairly active in ways but it's been tentative since 2011 (following an undiagnosed back injury), I have ups and downs and am committed to finding ways to be active without aggravating a somewhat sensitive body! I really want to build strength, resiliency and feel more energetic.

Currently my activities are walking, skiing (downhill 2-3x/wk, skate-skiing 1x/wk) and the odd bit of qi gong and yoga (nothing power related as again it aggravates my back). In the summer, hiking is my main thing.

Cardio has been getting better (due to skiing) but consistency & low-impact is key (both parents have had stent procedures). Pre-injury I was a runner, snowboarder and did heaps of yoga--things have had to be reorganized but I am hopeful I can run again this year.

I will mull over my goals--looking into trying a spin class to see if that would be good for cardio without stressing the back too much.

Just did one of the qi-gong videos someone recommended, which was great.
 I also like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-jSBBwr8Ko

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »

I thought the same thing, but then I realized I asked about this week. :)

D'oh! You are right, JR.

@LWTG : as Rosanne Rosanadana says, "never mind".

jordanread

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2018, 08:20:08 AM »
I've got @HarbingerofBunnies and @Serendip stubbed out. I might parse a few ideas based on Serendip's post, but we'll see.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »
I’ll jump in this year. 2017 was a mixed bag for me.

Need to get around to having my bike repaired and then use it.

Cool, welcome! 2017 was a mixed bag for me as well, did lots of cardio but strength work and diet was Meh.

DO IT !! :0 Seems like you really used to enjoy it. Maybe set a goal like into the shop by mid-February to be ready to ride if you catch some nice Weather in March or something.

Got it dropped off today! Shifting was a bit wonky and couldn't figure it out on my own. Headset also needs looking at, but the guy didn't think it needed to be replaced. Should have it back by Saturday, then I can hook it up to the trainer.

@jordanread Okay, here are my goals:

1. Cardio back to the level I had in 2015. My resting heart rate is pretty good and my ability to do low/mid intensity for long durations is also good, but I need more high intensity cardio. I get winded way too easily when the intensity picks up.

2. Weight below 200. Haven't weighed below 200 since like 14. Currently 213, which I'm already very happy with especially given my current activity level.

Stretch goal: Figure out WTF is wrong with my shoulder/neck (mainly right deltoid) constant muscle spasming/pinched nerve. May be limited by budget if my middle daughter has to start braces this year. Found a herbal ointment that helps but I'm pretty sure I need a new round of PT or something. Dunno.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »
@Laura33
         ◦Workout logically - reduce risk of injury
◦>= 4x/week workout
◦< 3 consecutive weeks of 6+ workouts/week
◦Push ups 1 set/10
◦Back Squat 1RM@185lbs
◦Pull ups 1 set/1

Update:  mixed progress so far.  Have made noticeable improvement on pushups, with a minor rotator cuff setback.  Increased front squat 10 lbs., so some progress on squats as well.  Pull-ups on hold until DH gets me the pull-up bar for my birthday next month.

Biggest issue has been that my goal of 4-6x/wk workouts has run into direct conflict with my goal of not pushing myself to the stupid injury point.  I'd been happily feeling like I was reaching the end of an annoying three months of rotator-cuff-knee-shin issues, back to normal, no pain, etc. -- and then my other knee started swelling for no apparent reason whatsoever.  No pain, no discernible injury, just what my dad used to call "water on the knee"; but squats "feel" wrong (lots of pressure inside the knee from the fluid), and anything with impact (jump rope, running) or heavy use of the legs (biking/rowing) irritates it and makes it puff up worse. 

So I prioritized "don't be stupid" over the "at least 4/wk" goal and went to the gym only 2x last week (and modified what I did).  This week will be probably only another 3x while I figure out if I the stupid thing is going to clear up or if I need to get it looked at.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2018, 12:59:31 PM »
Bike picked up, mounted on the trainer and got it dialed in okay so far. Did 20 minutes just now, plus walking 2 miles to pick it up and then biking back to get it home.

I think I’m going to leave this bike inside all the time (essentially turning it into an exercise machine) and then I’m looking at buying a new bike which will be only for regular riding.

jordanread

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
I just finished a small balance flow. I didn't die, but dancer pose twists me enough that I have a fold. Not good. I'll keep doing yoga stuff as a warm up, and perhaps I'll do some zombies run missions this coming week.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2018, 01:45:35 PM »
Alpine skiing/ 3x this week and went nordic skiing once.

Today walked 4 km to town for errands and will do an online yoga class later this afternoon.
Feeling good, albeit a bit tired/soreness in legs from skiing.

I signed up for a half-marathon (in June) so my goal will be to increase winter walking/jogging so that come spring I can begin training.

Also picked up a book from the library called "Move Your DNA: Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement" by Katy Bowman, so am looking forward to digging into that this weekend :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:47:31 PM by Serendip »

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2018, 10:29:09 PM »
I'm joining! I'm an exercise minimalist, so I'll keep it simple. Goals by end of 2018:
1. Carry my body weight to work every day, in addition to my body
2. Do 100 consecutive pushups
3. Do 25 consecutive pullups
4. Stand up at work every day all day

1. I started working on this in November. Every time I get a new jar, jug, or bottle I throw it in the pack. Currently at about 70 pounds. A downside is that my pack isn't really designed to carry more than 60lb comfortably. I'll either need to upgrade the pack, or get dumbbells, or something. My walk to work is only about 700 feet, but there is a 50 foot elevation gain mostly over a very short distance. Using Google Earth profile it gets to more than a 40% slope. Most people get very out of breath just walking up.

2. Idea from OP. Just tested at 30. In college I did as many as 95 consecutive pushups, but never broke 3 digits. I seriously need to work on upper body and core strength.

3. I know from experience that you will totally burn out of pushups after a few months. These come next.

4. I am already doing this. It helps if you move around and fidget on your feet, to keep any one muscle group from tiring.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2018, 03:53:31 PM »
@jordanread hoping it's not too late to join in but I'd love to get in on this for the year!

I used to be a fitness and diet nut but I've since changed a bit: I'm happier not measuring my weight or body fat percentage and I've loosened up on strict caloric tracking and planning. Now I am just going for feeling strong and staying in the same dress size.

Starting Metrics
28 female, 5' 3", somewhere between 125-130. For all lifting measurements below, I'll base goals on weight of 130.
Current 1RM, in LBs
Back Squat - 175
Dead Lift - 200
Snatch - 75
Clean - 105
Freestanding Handstand: ~15 seconds
Dead hang pull ups, consecutive: 5
Push ups, consecutive: 10

Goals for 2018
Back Squat - 190
Dead Lift - 215
Snatch - 90
Clean - 125
Freestanding Handstand: 1 minute
Dead hang pull ups, consecutive: 12
Push ups, consecutive: 25

For me, the big ones are the Snatch, Clean, Handstand, pull ups and push ups. My technique on the snatch sucks - I am 100% strong enough to blast through the weight I'm using now, but the technique fumbles me up. With the Clean, it's my wrists which have gotten progressively weaker since I stopped rock climbing and hand stand training about a year ago. I'm picking both those back up more aggressively and I'm hoping that stronger wrists will help me accelerate the weight I can clean.

jordanread

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2018, 09:03:08 PM »
Never to late to join. I'll get you both added in the AM. @zeli2033 , I can't help but think that @Bracken_Joy would be an excellent resource on form.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »
@Radagast love your user name!

Week 4 is in the bag.  I did the run on Saturday, but didn't have a chance to post here since then.  Didn't run as much time as last week in the first run, but in the second run, ran up a hill I've been avoiding and the third run was longer than usual.  The end result was another 32 minute run, so overall I think I ran about the same amount. I'm happy with that.

Didn't do any pushups, though.

jordanread

« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2018, 10:57:35 AM »
@Radagast love your user name!

I agree. The ratio of awesome people here is better than IRL I think.

Hey Jordan, I saw the bat signal =) I'll read back over stuff in a bit and drum up some resources. Sadly, with fertility treatments and such, I've been out of the lifting game for a while now, and will be a while still =( So I doubt I'll join in on the Gauntlet this year personally though. I'm glad you're keeping it rolling though!

A) I can't quite use words to describe my glee that so many people consider mentions a Bat-Signal.
B) @Bracken_Joy I understand you probably don't have the hardcore goals, but that doesn't mean you don't have goals. :P