Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2018  (Read 77838 times)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2018
« Reply #400 on: July 07, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
The running continues to progress nicely.  I did a 52 minute 10k tempo run today, which is just shy of my 10k race from a few months ago.  Longest run so far was Wednesday, I did 15 miles in 90F weather.  Best purchase this month has been a CamelBak...keeps me from dying on those runs.  The 15 mile run was MUCH slower than the 10k tempo run... I'm confident that I'll be able to at least run the entire marathon in October.  Pushing towards being in good enough shape for that sub-4hr time. 

I need to do more tempo runs.  I tend to just do the longer runs - but those now take 2-3 hours.  I also need to startup yoga again - it makes a big difference for both speed and keeping me from injuring myself. 

And - I've now been at my goal weight for over 3 months! 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #401 on: July 07, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »
The year is more than half over--would it be silly for me to join now? I don't know why I haven't before. I do strength and fitness.

I am pretty close to my goal weight/size and starting to think about what comes next! So here are my goals:

1. Maintain a weight between 117-122 pounds. In May 2017 I weight 138 pounds. I have had trouble with weight creeping on if I am not consistent. (I currently weigh 122 and am 4'11" tall.)
2. Keep making weight training progress! I don't really have an end goal here but it's getting harder to progress.
3. Don't get hurt.

Some current numbers for me:
My waist is 27". That might be the same measurement I had when I went away to college? Does that mean I should rest on my laurels, slimness-wise? My goal was to be roughly as slender at my second wedding (coming up in September) as at my first (when I was a mere girl of 20).
I am a 37 year old librarian and mom of two, for anyone who doesn't know me (hi!)

At last count I can squat 157.5 in three sets of five, bench 88.5 (ditto), and deadlift 165 (single set of 5) and can do three or four continuous unassisted chin ups.

I'm thinking of having my body fat % checked. I don't think BMI is very important but mine is high normal and I would feel better about that if I knew my body fat percentage and it was on the low side.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2018, 10:34:26 AM »
Well, I am sad to report that I am NOT on Mt. Whitney right now as planned...instead it is evacuated because of a forest fire. We picked up our permit Sunday before the closure occurred, and may get to go back and use it a different day IF they can get it contained and re-open the area. I'm glad to not be caught up there cut off because of a fire, but it's still a pretty disappointing day. :(

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
Well, I am sad to report that I am NOT on Mt. Whitney right now as planned...instead it is evacuated because of a forest fire. We picked up our permit Sunday before the closure occurred, and may get to go back and use it a different day IF they can get it contained and re-open the area. I'm glad to not be caught up there cut off because of a fire, but it's still a pretty disappointing day. :(

But...but... you're FIRE HIKER!

sigh

jk

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »
The year is more than half over--would it be silly for me to join now? I don't know why I haven't before. I do strength and fitness.

Not silly...welcome! I like goal #3 best.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #405 on: July 10, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »

But...but... you're FIRE HIKER!

sigh

jk

LOL Thank you for making me laugh! :) NOT the type of fire I'm going for though, right? ;) I will wallow in my sadness today and then pick myself back up tomorrow and keep training like it's still imminent. It may be if I can get another permit once it reopens...My friend who was with me can't go back up, but my ultrarunner brother is a teacher and is off for the summer. He's agreed to go with me anytime as long as I give him 24 hour notice so that he "doesn't do too long of a run right before". I think my new fitness goal is to be perpetually 24 hour ready to do a Mt. Whitney caliber activity.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: July 10, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »
My friend who was with me can't go back up, but my ultrarunner brother is a teacher and is off for the summer. He's agreed to go with me anytime as long as I give him 24 hour notice so that he "doesn't do too long of a run right before". I think my new fitness goal is to be perpetually 24 hour ready to do a Mt. Whitney caliber activity.

This is a VERY good goal. I remember my sister once saying "I always want to be ready in case someone offers me a free trip to go hiking in Hawaii"..ha

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #407 on: July 10, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »
My friend who was with me can't go back up, but my ultrarunner brother is a teacher and is off for the summer. He's agreed to go with me anytime as long as I give him 24 hour notice so that he "doesn't do too long of a run right before". I think my new fitness goal is to be perpetually 24 hour ready to do a Mt. Whitney caliber activity.

This is a VERY good goal. I remember my sister once saying "I always want to be ready in case someone offers me a free trip to go hiking in Hawaii"..ha

That is a super lofty goal! I love it! The Boy and I want to do an ambitious hike this weekend but since we haven't been hiking in a loooong time (I lift and he runs), we gotta be careful.

Not silly...welcome! I like goal #3 best.

Thanks! That one is definitely the most important :-).

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: July 10, 2018, 05:20:09 PM »
I called the permit office today and they said I'll have seven days to use it once the road reopens. I told my brother and he called me to ask "what exactly are the details". I told him: 21.9 miles round trip, about 6700 feet of elevation gain, need to summit by 11am to avoid afternoon lightning storm. He said "okay, cool. I'd prefer a Saturday or Tuesday since those are my climbing days but can change it around." I am definitely fired up to keep a high level of fitness a top priority going forward. To get ready for this trip I have been training for months, and I'm still nervous that I'm not prepared enough. Now we wait and see!

@La Bibliotecaria Feroz Welcome! What is your potential ambitious hike this weekend? I hope it goes well!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #409 on: July 10, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »
@FireHiker, that sounds like a crazy fierce climb! I bow before you!

We are thinking of doing about 7 miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park (Burro Trail plus Windy Peak, elevation gain of 1900 feet). I imagine that will be plenty taxing for a couple of people who haven't left the mile high city in an embarrassing long time!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: July 11, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
...21.9 miles round trip, about 6700 feet of elevation gain, need to summit by 11am to avoid afternoon lightning storm...

Wow!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: July 11, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
@FireHiker, that sounds like a crazy fierce climb! I bow before you!

We are thinking of doing about 7 miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park (Burro Trail plus Windy Peak, elevation gain of 1900 feet). I imagine that will be plenty taxing for a couple of people who haven't left the mile high city in an embarrassing long time!

Well, to be fair, I have been training for months! We've done overnights to San Jacinto and Gorgonio for altitude practice with full packs. I've been running (which I'd never done before in my life) and completed my first ever half marathon in June. It's a big bucket list item and even though I've done all the "right" things to prepare I'm still nervous about it! I called the permit office yesterday and they said to call back each day to check on road status but that once they reopen the road I'll have seven days to use my permit...I'm bummed that our careful plans to acclimate for two nights and day hike won't happen; it will be harder coming up from sea level and I don't know what the logistics will look like now. But, I'll make it work if I get the chance.

Enjoy your 7 miles in Golden Gate Canyon! 1900 feet is a legitimate gain, especially if you're just starting out again. :)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: July 11, 2018, 02:17:01 PM »
@FireHiker It will be amazing--enjoy!

I don't know if you ever use trekking poles but I find they are amazing for the descent.
Just did a 7km (one way), 1200 m climb (so..almost 4000feet elevation gain in 4.4 miles) hike last week, a pretty steep one and was expecting my quads to kill me (even though I've been hiking quite a bit this spring/summer). My calves definitely complained for the following days but I was the only one in the group who didn't experience quad/hamstring soreness and I suspect it was my handy-dandy walking stick.

And the view up top was fantastic.
You will do great! Excited to hear an update.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #413 on: July 11, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, @Serendip ! I do have trekking poles and will definitely be using them. They helped a fair bit backpacking Gorgonio in May.

Looks like the road is being re-opened 6pm today and I have preliminary plans to hike it Sunday. I wish it wasn't a weekend day that worked for me because it will be so crowded, but given other constraints it is probably the best option. I'm finalizing details with my brother and his wife, and my husband and kids are going to come up and we'll make a family camping trip out of it. Here's hoping the fire stays contained!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #414 on: July 12, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, @Serendip ! I do have trekking poles and will definitely be using them. They helped a fair bit backpacking Gorgonio in May.

Looks like the road is being re-opened 6pm today and I have preliminary plans to hike it Sunday. I wish it wasn't a weekend day that worked for me because it will be so crowded, but given other constraints it is probably the best option. I'm finalizing details with my brother and his wife, and my husband and kids are going to come up and we'll make a family camping trip out of it. Here's hoping the fire stays contained!

Yay...good luck!  I have started following a bunch of PCT hikers on IG, and of course many of them summit Whitney.  I love the views - but that hike is not for me.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: July 12, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »
Yay...good luck!  I have started following a bunch of PCT hikers on IG, and of course many of them summit Whitney.  I love the views - but that hike is not for me.

Thank you! Fire is 42% contained today and the road is open, so it's looking like it's really going to happen Sunday!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: July 15, 2018, 08:53:48 AM »
I've decided to move my half marathon up by 2 weeks so I'm running a different one than DH. As much as we'd like to run it together, I can't feel very confident that we'll have someone available to watch the kids. I'm already registered for both so I could run the second one with DH if we somehow managed to get the kids covered. There would be a 2 week break between runs and I'm just aiming to complete the race, not achieve some specific time goal.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: July 16, 2018, 10:06:30 AM »
Ugh, such disappointment. I finally got to attempt Mt. Whitney with my sister-in-law yesterday (well, midnight two nights ago to be exact) but she got AMS and we had to turn back about 7 miles in around 12,000 feet. I'm upset with my brother (the crazy mountain ultrarunner) for insisting she go instead of him, when he knew she has had altitude issues in the past. I do feel pretty good with how I did; I had no altitude issues at all even at 12,000 feet, aside from getting winded a little more easily going uphill. My training plan definitely worked well. Now to keep it up, I guess, until I can get another chance. It was a gorgeous trail and I can't wait to get back up there.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #418 on: July 16, 2018, 10:13:20 AM »
Ugh, such disappointment. I finally got to attempt Mt. Whitney with my sister-in-law yesterday (well, midnight two nights ago to be exact) but she got AMS and we had to turn back about 7 miles in around 12,000 feet. I'm upset with my brother (the crazy mountain ultrarunner) for insisting she go instead of him, when he knew she has had altitude issues in the past. I do feel pretty good with how I did; I had no altitude issues at all even at 12,000 feet, aside from getting winded a little more easily going uphill. My training plan definitely worked well. Now to keep it up, I guess, until I can get another chance. It was a gorgeous trail and I can't wait to get back up there.
Sorry to hear of your aborted summit attempt. I did Whitney many years ago and got a wicked headache at trail camp (~12000 ft ?). Luckily we camped there so I felt better in the morning. Had another headache on the summit but felt much better as we descended.

That’s a good sign that you didn’t have any issues around 12000 ft. It’s tough if you are living at sea level one day and the next day are at 12000+ ft. My body doesn’t like it.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: July 16, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »

I would be annoyed with your brother, too! So sorry it didn't work out. Maybe it 's not so bad to have it to still look forward to?

My small hike was fun. The Boy had to stop on an incline while I, though winded, was prepared to soldier on. I teased him about the apparently superiority of squats over running :-).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #420 on: July 16, 2018, 01:30:16 PM »

That's a complete bummer.  But I feel for your SIL.  I don't do well with altitude.  Last summer we went to Colorado on vacation.  Our friends (who live in Santa Fe, so they have more altitude experience), rented a cabin at 11,500 feet.  So to get there, you have to hike in from 10,500 feet to 11,500 feet, over 2.5 miles.  We did a test run beforehand at 8000-9000 feet.  The kids and I were fine, but hubby didn't take it well.

So, instead of staying with them at the cabin, we acclimated at 9000 feet for 2 days and did a day hike in to visit.  Man, I had the worst 12 hour headache that I've ever had in my life, from 4 pm to 4 am the next morning. 

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #421 on: July 16, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for the condolences! I totally don't blame her at all for getting sick, but I'm pretty mad at my brother who knew she had a history of altitude issues but insisted she go instead of him. I think he really wanted her to be able to do it without being realistic about her abilities. It was still a good hike, but not what I had hoped to accomplish. I'll be putting in for a permit again next year I guess! It will keep me motivated on the fitness front anyway for another year.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: July 17, 2018, 07:59:31 AM »
Sorry about your hike result. Definitely hard for folks who do struggle with altitude to have flexible plans. Definitely seems like your training was good. Fingers crossed you can get a permit next year.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #423 on: July 17, 2018, 09:46:26 AM »
Thanks Mongoose! If I'd been able to go with my original plan with my friend who trained with me since February I think we would have done it without much issue. Unfortunately with the fire and the limited window they allowed us to have our permits re-issued she couldn't join me. It was a great hike and I plan to be in even better shape when I try it again, hopefully next year unless something miraculous happens this season. Between that and my brother getting an actual, real, big name ultrarunner to pace him at Kodiak, I guess I need to make some new goals for the remainder of the year. I'm taking it easy today and then back to running tomorrow!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #424 on: July 23, 2018, 10:48:34 PM »
Well, my PF foot is feeling a lot better, but not healed yet.  It's been about 2 weeks since I grounded myself.  I'll wait till I have no pain for a full week, then gradually add walking then running back.

In the mean time*, I realized this thread is Strength and Fitness.  So I found a simple 4-exercise body weight routine (squats, planks, push ups & dumbbell rows).  I've been working my way up to 1 real push up for a while already, so it's going to be easy to add the other three to that routine.  Did the first routine yesterday.  Not sore today, so tomorrow or Wed I'll do again with more vigor or reps.

*Yeah, two weeks later...someone is a slow study :|

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #425 on: July 24, 2018, 08:21:06 AM »
@jordanread

Goals for 2018
Back Squat - 190
Dead Lift - 215
Snatch - 90
Clean - 125
Freestanding Handstand: 1 minute
Dead hang pull ups, consecutive: 12
Push ups, consecutive: 25

Got a 1RM back squat today of 200!!! Blasted through my goal weight thanks to a 12 week hatch squat program. Looking forward to making more progress on the other ones throughout the rest of this year.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: July 24, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
Excellent zeli2033!

I'm struggling to keep up with my running program in the heat. 6 miler scheduled for Friday. Hopefully it'll be cool enough at 9 am when I can drop off the kids at their summer camp.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #427 on: July 31, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
I've been in such a funk since the failed hike. Time to stop wallowing and pick myself back up though. I'm going to find another race to sign up for (probably another half marathon towards the end of the year) and get back to a regular plan. I'm thinking maybe I'll do a trail half marathon this time instead of a road race. I recently joined a local trail running group. It's been disgustingly hot so I haven't been out much, but I have gotten a couple runs in. I'm going back to my regular boot camp class at lunch today, and I've gotten back to yoga at least weekly. Even though I didn't get to finish Mt. Whitney before 40, I want to make sure I'm in shape to do it. A friend is going with a meetup group in September so she suggested I get on the wait list. Better keep in shape!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: July 31, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #429 on: July 31, 2018, 04:06:34 PM »
Thanks @Bicycle_B ; I just need a couple weeks to get my attitude adjusted. I went back to boot camp today and I signed up for a 15k trail race in October. Turns out I really need to have something specific to train for, otherwise I get a little complacent. I won't be pacing my brother the last 14 miles of his race in two weeks because he has an actual, legit ultrarunner pacing him 50 miles...kind of crazy. We'll still be going up to help crew and cheer him across the finish. I'm irritated about the Whitney hike, but he's still my brother.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: August 01, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »
Monthly check in - goals vs results to date.

<= 23.5% body fat... 31.4% 1/31, 30.4% 3/1, 29.5% 4/2, 28.6% 5/1, 29.7% 6/1, 28.4% 7/1, 29.8% 8/1

Complete >=1 10K...  Ran 2x Jan, 11x Feb, 15x Mar, 7x Apr, 7x May, 8x Jun, 13x July. Long run in July 7.8 miles.

Monthly goals: long runs for month 5.5 mi June done, 7 mi July done, 9 Aug, 11 Sept, 13 Oct, run half marathon Nov.

Run 1 mile <= 07:15... 7:49 time trial, Mar.

Push ups 1 set/20... max 14 in Jan, 13 in Feb, 11 (?) Mar, 11 Apr, 15 May, 17 June, 15 July.

Pull ups 1 set/3... 2 in May, 2 in July. Still rare.

Burpees 1 set/15... max 8 in Jan, 7 in Feb, 8 Mar, 11 Apr, 13 May, 15 June. 

chiefsuave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #431 on: August 07, 2018, 05:26:27 AM »
Getting towards the end of the year. Here is my fitness update. I am doing the program "Field Strong" ($27) a month

Back Squat: 405lb
Bench: 255lb
Deadlift: 415lb
3 Mile: 21:37
Decided to just stop going up cause of the risk for injury but hit these lifts fast and powerful.
I'm now focusing on doing yoga EVERYDAY and doing some marathon training (gross).

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #432 on: August 07, 2018, 07:30:49 AM »
Room for a humble middle aged attorney who knows (mostly) what to do, but frequently fails to do so?

I've taken some positive steps in the last ten days. I've eaten clean. I've joined a gym and had three workouts. I've done yoga a few times. And tomorrow I'm meeting with a trainer for some guidance, body fat testing, etc. Then I'll be in a better position to set some specific goals and I'll ramp up my workouts, as I've been easing into this to avoid injury.

I lifted weights all through law school, and I was probably a lean 175 back then. I was up to 223 last month. That was a wake up call. I'm down to 216 and figure it is very possible to get into the 190s by the end of the year. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get back to 175 though.   

PS: I really enjoyed the OP and the supportive environment being created.

chiefsuave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #433 on: August 07, 2018, 09:04:48 AM »
Room for a humble middle aged attorney who knows (mostly) what to do, but frequently fails to do so?

I've taken some positive steps in the last ten days. I've eaten clean. I've joined a gym and had three workouts. I've done yoga a few times. And tomorrow I'm meeting with a trainer for some guidance, body fat testing, etc. Then I'll be in a better position to set some specific goals and I'll ramp up my workouts, as I've been easing into this to avoid injury.

I lifted weights all through law school, and I was probably a lean 175 back then. I was up to 223 last month. That was a wake up call. I'm down to 216 and figure it is very possible to get into the 190s by the end of the year. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get back to 175 though.   

Good luck on your goal of 190's! You eating clean is probably going to help towards your goal 75% and the other 25% is sweat. CRUSH IT!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #434 on: August 07, 2018, 11:33:05 AM »

Good luck on your goal of 190's! You eating clean is probably going to help towards your goal 75% and the other 25% is sweat. CRUSH IT!

Thanks, man! I agree about the nutrition! For me, it's by far the biggest battle. I have pretty much taken over all family grocery shopping and 80% of meal prep. It's the only way I can keep crap out of the house.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #435 on: August 07, 2018, 12:35:29 PM »
I'm doing pretty decently strength-wise, but my body fat percentage is a bit higher than I'd like, and I've lost some of my flexibility.

Current goals are:
- Start running 2 miles a day (without breaks) by the end of the calendar year.
- Alternate training acro and aerial daily.
- 15 minutes of daily flexibility training. I want both active and passive flexibility, and honestly, those 15 minutes are a minimum.
- Hit the ideal weight for my height, based on mortality data. I probably have about 6lbs to lose, but boy do I feel it.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: August 07, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
Welcome @Nick_Miller --always room for more folks to join!

and good job signing up for something @FireHiker , I agree: goals can definitely keep you on track. I practically RAN the last stretch of a hike last week since we had a HARD turn-around time but I really wanted to see the lake. And at 2 minutes before the turn around time, I made the lake (only 3 of 8 of us did!)..so I took a picture for the others. It's not always reaching the goal, but having one helps :)

On that note: I just bought a gym pass to rehab the hip which gave me grief last winter and spring. It will hopefully cancel out the costs of the physio and there is an infrared sauna.
Want to be ready for an active winter!

I will aim to go 3-4 times/week, depending on other activities.
Been hiking some big lengths lately, so maybe just stretching and sauna on those days.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache

chiefsuave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #438 on: August 08, 2018, 12:16:45 AM »
Everyone with running and weight training goals should read some Kelly Starrett books. I recommend Supple Leopard and Ready to Run. "Sitting is the new smoking"

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: August 08, 2018, 08:18:14 AM »
Question!

How will I know when I get "swol?"

I mean...will it be obvious?

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #440 on: August 08, 2018, 03:51:17 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2018/aug/07/short-guide-strong-woman-lifted-332-5kg-dinnie-stones-scotland

Ahh..very interesting, good for her!
 I have no ambition to be able to lift such heavy weights, I'm more of a long-distance hiker-- but admire people who set goals for themselves. Impressive.

Just went for a quick but challenging hike today..10km in just over 2 hours with only 300 m elevation gain (since you start the trail up in the alpine already). Will go to the gym this evening and try out that sauna :)

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: August 09, 2018, 08:38:27 AM »
Okay, beginning stats as of 8/8/18

Weight: 217
Body Fat: 27%

I sat down with a trainer, and went over nutrition, macros, meal planning, and exercise program. First goal is to get down to 207. So he put me at 1950 calories per day clean eating, as that's the maintenance caloric intake for a 207-lb. guy my age with low activity.

GOAL 1:
What: Get to 207 lbs by Sept 5th (4 weeks)
How: 12-16 workouts and clean eating for next 4 weeks, hitting all macros

chiefsuave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #442 on: August 09, 2018, 10:59:44 PM »

I sat down with a trainer, and went over nutrition, macros, meal planning, and exercise program. First goal is to get down to 207. So he put me at 1950 calories per day clean eating, as that's the maintenance caloric intake for a 207-lb. guy my age with low activity.

GOAL 1:

Good Luck and train hard! Keep us posted.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: August 10, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »
Did some free weights at the gym the other day for my arms (first time in a long while) and am now quite fatigued :)
Biked to work, so I just did a 30 min Yoga with Adriene class as my 'fitnessing' session.

It's very hot out, so will try to go to the gym in the morning tomorrow--when it's not 33degrees out.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: August 10, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »
Running is not going well this year. It is horribly hot. The only times I can really get out and run end up being late afternoon. At near 100F, this is not happening. I've been trying to run on the treadmill but it's boring and between the kids and dog, I feel like I'm spending all the time trying to keep furry and/or flying objects away from the belt. DH isn't home when I have time to run so nobody is available to police the weebeasties.

Anyway, long story short, I'm very discouraged about my half marathon goal for this year.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
Running is not going well this year. It is horribly hot. The only times I can really get out and run end up being late afternoon. At near 100F, this is not happening. I've been trying to run on the treadmill but it's boring and between the kids and dog, I feel like I'm spending all the time trying to keep furry and/or flying objects away from the belt. DH isn't home when I have time to run so nobody is available to police the weebeasties.

Anyway, long story short, I'm very discouraged about my half marathon goal for this year.

Dang, it sure has been hot. I just started running in February, so running in heat has been really unpleasant. I did get a short trail run in recently when it was in the 90's so I'm making progress. I need to get back to running in the morning before work but we've been staying up too late so it's been hard.

I spent most of last week on vacation for my 10th anniversary. I didn't get any running in because my husband has been having foot problems, but we did do a couple hikes. Now we're home and back to it I guess! I should have a lot of motivation after this week because we're crewing for my brother who's running the Kodiak 100 on Friday/Saturday. I'm sure I'll come home really motivated again!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: August 14, 2018, 08:57:15 AM »

GOAL 1:

Keeping my macros consistent, 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats. Weight is pouring off, even though I am eating a ton of (fairly low calories) foods and lifting weights 3-4 times per week. Down to 213.6 lbs. I tell you, almost 2,000 calories of nutritious food is a lot of food. My basic meal plan today:

Meal 1: Protein bar, cup cantaloupe, cup greek yogurt
Meal 2: P3 package
Meal 3: Salad with tuna and serving of pea crisps
Meal 4: Raw veggies, hummus, protein shake
Meal 5: Hamburger (no bun), raw veggies, cottage cheese

I don't eat after dinner, although I do have a cup of coffee or tea sometimes if I want a flavor in my mouth.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #447 on: August 19, 2018, 07:36:24 PM »
Recently I was revising my familiarity with the government healthy eating guidelines. It's actually a physically large volume of food, for example the following would fulfil their recommendations for a 19-50yo male,

3 cups/450g/1lb mixed vegies
1 apple, 1 orange
1 cup cooked oats
2 cups cooked pasta
2 eggs
200g piece of fish
1 cup milk
1 cup yoghurt
2 tbsp grated cheese
(some oil etc for cooking is factored in)

So for example you'd have
breakfast, cup oats with cup milk, 2 eggs
snack, fruit with yoghurt
lunch, fish with 2 cups vegies
snack, fruit
dinner, 2 cups pasta with 1 cup vegies for sauce and grated cheese on top

and they allow 0-3 serves "discretionary", like someone focused on strength might have more meat, someone with bone density issues might have more dairy, a larger-framed and active person might have more grains, etc. Though some would take the 0-3 allowance as "cool, more lollies and booze" - but if the person is also taking the govt advice about exercise (75' vigorous or 150' moderate exercise a week, plus 2 strength training sessions a week) the extra junk would be no big deal.

thisisjeopardy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #448 on: August 20, 2018, 04:31:33 AM »
Started 100 pushups training program. Couldn't do 5 good ones. Now I can do 25.

Going to sign up for tai chi classes this week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #449 on: August 20, 2018, 08:09:45 AM »
Started 100 pushups training program. Couldn't do 5 good ones. Now I can do 25.

Going to sign up for tai chi classes this week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I like that goal. Very objective, and it's set up where you can see progress almost every time, assuming you're going to failure each time, and just trying to knock out one or two more each time? (I assume)

I am working my way up to doing a pull up, which I have NEVER done in my life.