Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2018  (Read 28617 times)

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2018
« Reply #400 on: July 06, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
I was on vacation in June and realized I hadn't posted here in awhile! My Mt. Whitney hike is coming up in just a few days...I did some running and some hiking on vacation (I got to run in NYC and hike in Maine and New Hampshire!). We did a lot of walking during the trip too. We got back the middle of last week and since then I've done one decent hike in the heat and a few runs. I am back up to running 5 miles as of this morning. I leave Sunday to drive up for my Mt. Whitney hike, with shorter day hikes planned for both Sunday and Monday before the big hike Tuesday. I've never hiked 21 miles before; my longest day is 18.5 backpacking Gorgonio, but with a full pack. Should be interesting.

After the hike I am ramping up my running, especially on trails, so that I can pace my brother in August. He's running the Kodiak 100 and I REALLY want to run the last 14 with him into the finish. I'm not sure I'll be ready; I have only run double digits twice, and both times on roads at sea level. Any ultra runners have some advice or training recommendations? I've joined a local trail running group so I'm hoping that will help. And besides, he'll have just run 86 miles...he'll hopefully be tired enough that I can keep up and help his progress as opposed to hinder it!

I've been sucking at getting to yoga and boot camp; haven't been since vacation. I plan to go back today if my work schedule will allow.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #401 on: July 07, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
The running continues to progress nicely.  I did a 52 minute 10k tempo run today, which is just shy of my 10k race from a few months ago.  Longest run so far was Wednesday, I did 15 miles in 90F weather.  Best purchase this month has been a CamelBak...keeps me from dying on those runs.  The 15 mile run was MUCH slower than the 10k tempo run... I'm confident that I'll be able to at least run the entire marathon in October.  Pushing towards being in good enough shape for that sub-4hr time. 

I need to do more tempo runs.  I tend to just do the longer runs - but those now take 2-3 hours.  I also need to startup yoga again - it makes a big difference for both speed and keeping me from injuring myself. 

And - I've now been at my goal weight for over 3 months! 
“Except when awesome is just awesome, because sometimes it is.” - Scrubby

Journal: Racing towards zero

Where I started...

Long term goals:  Stay fit, NW0 by 39, and FI by 52.  Required SR:  60%.  SR goal for monthly income: 50%.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #402 on: July 07, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »
The year is more than half over--would it be silly for me to join now? I don't know why I haven't before. I do strength and fitness.

I am pretty close to my goal weight/size and starting to think about what comes next! So here are my goals:

1. Maintain a weight between 117-122 pounds. In May 2017 I weight 138 pounds. I have had trouble with weight creeping on if I am not consistent. (I currently weigh 122 and am 4'11" tall.)
2. Keep making weight training progress! I don't really have an end goal here but it's getting harder to progress.
3. Don't get hurt.

Some current numbers for me:
My waist is 27". That might be the same measurement I had when I went away to college? Does that mean I should rest on my laurels, slimness-wise? My goal was to be roughly as slender at my second wedding (coming up in September) as at my first (when I was a mere girl of 20).
I am a 37 year old librarian and mom of two, for anyone who doesn't know me (hi!)

At last count I can squat 157.5 in three sets of five, bench 88.5 (ditto), and deadlift 165 (single set of 5) and can do three or four continuous unassisted chin ups.

I'm thinking of having my body fat % checked. I don't think BMI is very important but mine is high normal and I would feel better about that if I knew my body fat percentage and it was on the low side.

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2018, 10:34:26 AM »
Well, I am sad to report that I am NOT on Mt. Whitney right now as planned...instead it is evacuated because of a forest fire. We picked up our permit Sunday before the closure occurred, and may get to go back and use it a different day IF they can get it contained and re-open the area. I'm glad to not be caught up there cut off because of a fire, but it's still a pretty disappointing day. :(

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
Well, I am sad to report that I am NOT on Mt. Whitney right now as planned...instead it is evacuated because of a forest fire. We picked up our permit Sunday before the closure occurred, and may get to go back and use it a different day IF they can get it contained and re-open the area. I'm glad to not be caught up there cut off because of a fire, but it's still a pretty disappointing day. :(

But...but... you're FIRE HIKER!

sigh

jk

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #405 on: July 10, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »
The year is more than half over--would it be silly for me to join now? I don't know why I haven't before. I do strength and fitness.

Not silly...welcome! I like goal #3 best.
A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Jornal is now here

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #406 on: July 10, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »

But...but... you're FIRE HIKER!

sigh

jk

LOL Thank you for making me laugh! :) NOT the type of fire I'm going for though, right? ;) I will wallow in my sadness today and then pick myself back up tomorrow and keep training like it's still imminent. It may be if I can get another permit once it reopens...My friend who was with me can't go back up, but my ultrarunner brother is a teacher and is off for the summer. He's agreed to go with me anytime as long as I give him 24 hour notice so that he "doesn't do too long of a run right before". I think my new fitness goal is to be perpetually 24 hour ready to do a Mt. Whitney caliber activity.

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #407 on: July 10, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »
My friend who was with me can't go back up, but my ultrarunner brother is a teacher and is off for the summer. He's agreed to go with me anytime as long as I give him 24 hour notice so that he "doesn't do too long of a run right before". I think my new fitness goal is to be perpetually 24 hour ready to do a Mt. Whitney caliber activity.

This is a VERY good goal. I remember my sister once saying "I always want to be ready in case someone offers me a free trip to go hiking in Hawaii"..ha

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #408 on: July 10, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »
My friend who was with me can't go back up, but my ultrarunner brother is a teacher and is off for the summer. He's agreed to go with me anytime as long as I give him 24 hour notice so that he "doesn't do too long of a run right before". I think my new fitness goal is to be perpetually 24 hour ready to do a Mt. Whitney caliber activity.

This is a VERY good goal. I remember my sister once saying "I always want to be ready in case someone offers me a free trip to go hiking in Hawaii"..ha

That is a super lofty goal! I love it! The Boy and I want to do an ambitious hike this weekend but since we haven't been hiking in a loooong time (I lift and he runs), we gotta be careful.

Not silly...welcome! I like goal #3 best.

Thanks! That one is definitely the most important :-).

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #409 on: July 10, 2018, 05:20:09 PM »
I called the permit office today and they said I'll have seven days to use it once the road reopens. I told my brother and he called me to ask "what exactly are the details". I told him: 21.9 miles round trip, about 6700 feet of elevation gain, need to summit by 11am to avoid afternoon lightning storm. He said "okay, cool. I'd prefer a Saturday or Tuesday since those are my climbing days but can change it around." I am definitely fired up to keep a high level of fitness a top priority going forward. To get ready for this trip I have been training for months, and I'm still nervous that I'm not prepared enough. Now we wait and see!

@La Bibliotecaria Feroz Welcome! What is your potential ambitious hike this weekend? I hope it goes well!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #410 on: July 10, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »
@FireHiker, that sounds like a crazy fierce climb! I bow before you!

We are thinking of doing about 7 miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park (Burro Trail plus Windy Peak, elevation gain of 1900 feet). I imagine that will be plenty taxing for a couple of people who haven't left the mile high city in an embarrassing long time!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #411 on: July 11, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
...21.9 miles round trip, about 6700 feet of elevation gain, need to summit by 11am to avoid afternoon lightning storm...

Wow!

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #412 on: July 11, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
@FireHiker, that sounds like a crazy fierce climb! I bow before you!

We are thinking of doing about 7 miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park (Burro Trail plus Windy Peak, elevation gain of 1900 feet). I imagine that will be plenty taxing for a couple of people who haven't left the mile high city in an embarrassing long time!

Well, to be fair, I have been training for months! We've done overnights to San Jacinto and Gorgonio for altitude practice with full packs. I've been running (which I'd never done before in my life) and completed my first ever half marathon in June. It's a big bucket list item and even though I've done all the "right" things to prepare I'm still nervous about it! I called the permit office yesterday and they said to call back each day to check on road status but that once they reopen the road I'll have seven days to use my permit...I'm bummed that our careful plans to acclimate for two nights and day hike won't happen; it will be harder coming up from sea level and I don't know what the logistics will look like now. But, I'll make it work if I get the chance.

Enjoy your 7 miles in Golden Gate Canyon! 1900 feet is a legitimate gain, especially if you're just starting out again. :)

Serendip

• Bristles
« Reply #413 on: July 11, 2018, 02:17:01 PM »
@FireHiker It will be amazing--enjoy!

I don't know if you ever use trekking poles but I find they are amazing for the descent.
Just did a 7km (one way), 1200 m climb (so..almost 4000feet elevation gain in 4.4 miles) hike last week, a pretty steep one and was expecting my quads to kill me (even though I've been hiking quite a bit this spring/summer). My calves definitely complained for the following days but I was the only one in the group who didn't experience quad/hamstring soreness and I suspect it was my handy-dandy walking stick.

And the view up top was fantastic.
You will do great! Excited to hear an update.

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #414 on: July 11, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, @Serendip ! I do have trekking poles and will definitely be using them. They helped a fair bit backpacking Gorgonio in May.

Looks like the road is being re-opened 6pm today and I have preliminary plans to hike it Sunday. I wish it wasn't a weekend day that worked for me because it will be so crowded, but given other constraints it is probably the best option. I'm finalizing details with my brother and his wife, and my husband and kids are going to come up and we'll make a family camping trip out of it. Here's hoping the fire stays contained!

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #415 on: July 12, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, @Serendip ! I do have trekking poles and will definitely be using them. They helped a fair bit backpacking Gorgonio in May.

Looks like the road is being re-opened 6pm today and I have preliminary plans to hike it Sunday. I wish it wasn't a weekend day that worked for me because it will be so crowded, but given other constraints it is probably the best option. I'm finalizing details with my brother and his wife, and my husband and kids are going to come up and we'll make a family camping trip out of it. Here's hoping the fire stays contained!

Yay...good luck!  I have started following a bunch of PCT hikers on IG, and of course many of them summit Whitney.  I love the views - but that hike is not for me.

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #416 on: July 12, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »
Yay...good luck!  I have started following a bunch of PCT hikers on IG, and of course many of them summit Whitney.  I love the views - but that hike is not for me.

Thank you! Fire is 42% contained today and the road is open, so it's looking like it's really going to happen Sunday!

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: Today at 08:53:48 AM »
I've decided to move my half marathon up by 2 weeks so I'm running a different one than DH. As much as we'd like to run it together, I can't feel very confident that we'll have someone available to watch the kids. I'm already registered for both so I could run the second one with DH if we somehow managed to get the kids covered. There would be a 2 week break between runs and I'm just aiming to complete the race, not achieve some specific time goal.