Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2018  (Read 77859 times)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2018
« Reply #350 on: June 02, 2018, 08:55:57 AM »
I ran a sub 2 hr half-marathon!

1:57:40 to be precise.  I can check that goal off for the year.  Next up - sub 4 hour marathon!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #351 on: June 02, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »
Wow!!  Well done, my friend.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: June 02, 2018, 02:52:10 PM »
Due to injury, I wasn't able to train for a half-marathon I signed myself up for.
Instead of pulling out as I planned, I decided to join the walkers (who start early) and just enjoy the process and have a mellow day in the great outdoors (I walked the majority, with jogs on downhills and occasional flats)

Finished in 2:38, which ended up being only 3 minutes slower than my SO, who jogged slowly the whole way.

Very fun and I like the non-competitive vibe..plus, we were able to start 50 minutes earlier than everyone so the path was quiet and beautiful.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #353 on: June 04, 2018, 10:21:29 AM »
Well, I finished my first ever half marathon! I woke up at 3am the day of with a migraine, but I had run my 9 mile two weeks prior with a migraine, so went for it. It was the hottest day we've had in ages and SO sunny which was rough, but I finished. I wanted to break 2:30, but ended up with 2:48:32. It was really interesting. I definitely have some lessons learned, but with one down, I'm ready to move on to my next goal! I had to walk some of it because of the heat and my head, but we passed WAY more people than we had people pass us (even when I had to stop and walk), and I felt pretty strong at the end. I think I'll go for something with a smaller field next time. We ran the San Diego Rock n Roll half, and with 35,000 running between all the events it was such an insane crowd. Fun, though. I'm really glad we did it! I plan to spend my summer training in heat and on hills, because right now I don't have a chance of running with my brother in August.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #354 on: June 04, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »
I've been a total lazybutt for the last week or so. Thank you very much to everyone posting about their awesome running escapades -- you're giving me a good push to get back into my running gear, too.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #355 on: June 04, 2018, 07:08:01 PM »
Props to Eric222, Serendip & FireHiker!

diapasoun, we are not all running. I'm currently experiencing plantar faciitis in my left foot, so staying off it when I can. That means no running, but also taking busses or the car when I've been walking in the past. Hopefully it makes a difference by Saturday when I have a 5K scheduled with friends!

Activity report: no running due to injury.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #356 on: June 04, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »
Oneday, I hope your foot feels much better very soon.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #357 on: June 04, 2018, 11:01:21 PM »
dispasoun, thanks so much!  I'm sure it will if I rest it.

AerynLee, thank you for the recommendation!  My MD was little help, she just said to walk less. Even sports trainers don't always understand the issue.  I had a trainer keep insisting that I wouldn't be successful in the program if I didn't use the treadmill.  I don't' know how many times I said: I have a diagnosed injury.  The way to heal is to not-walk.  I will use the stationary bike instead.  And the trainer wouldn't change their stance on using the treadmill.  Jerk.  Another lady in my office got diagnosed with PF last year & her MD gave her a lot of support (pun intended): exercises, devices, advice.  Compare to what my MD did: said to stop walking (impossible!).

Hmm, was nice to get that off my chest.*

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation, I've bought one already so it will be here in time for the 5K.  It's a bubble run, I've been told there's a lot of walking at the bubble stations as people try to collect as many bubbles as possible, so it's not that intense and I'll just make it work.  Considering that I was walking at least 4K/day up through last Friday, and have stayed off it as much as possible since then and will continue that, should be OK.  It was probably all that daily walking that did it, in a double whammy.  First, the increased walking itself.  Then, I used my running shoes for the walking, and they weren't new so they are probably totally unsupportive now.  Better get new shoes this week, too!

I also let my PF go too long before "treatment", I simply had no idea that such a thing existed and I thought it was just a sore foot from maybe stepping on a rock on a hike or worn out shoes.  Had I known, there was a hike I would have declined, as that was the hike that pushed me over the edge from occasional pain to a 3 year period where I was nearly an invalid.

*Now that I think about it, I wasn't totally untreated. My chiropractor gave me more effective advice (roll it on a golf ball to break up adhesions) than the MD, and I also found an alternative medicine practitioner who also gave me more effective treatment (standing on the soles of my feet, kind of an accupressure thing).

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #358 on: June 05, 2018, 08:45:07 PM »
Sorry to hear @oneday
One other thing that some people have success with is to freeze a water bottle and roll your foot with the cold after walking, or being on your feet. You receive the double whammy of rolling out the adhesions and icing/reducing inflammation at the same time.
Hope it feels better soon!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #359 on: June 05, 2018, 09:24:31 PM »
Sorry to hear @oneday
One other thing that some people have success with is to freeze a water bottle and roll your foot with the cold after walking, or being on your feet. You receive the double whammy of rolling out the adhesions and icing/reducing inflammation at the same time.
Hope it feels better soon!

I am totally going to do that!  Too bad I don't already have a frozen water bottle, but it's on my list for when I get home.   Thanks for the pointer!  Y'all are taking better care of me than the MD!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #360 on: June 06, 2018, 07:49:26 AM »
Sounds like several of the running folks here are currently injured, but for those who aren't, it's Global Running Day! I challenge you to lace up your shoes and get out for a run today, even a short one.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: June 06, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »
Sounds like several of the running folks here are currently injured, but for those who aren't, it's Global Running Day! I challenge you to lace up your shoes and get out for a run today, even a short one.

I did mine! 4.5 miles this morning. It was my first run since the half marathon on Sunday. I felt pretty good, but I guess I'm a real runner now...looks like I'm going to lose a toenail.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #362 on: June 06, 2018, 08:10:44 PM »
Got my run in today too. Slow, but really pleasant and in a great headspace.

enFuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Somewhere between On Fire and FIRE...
« Reply #363 on: June 07, 2018, 08:21:32 AM »
Congrats to all on your progress.

Checking in after about a month (shame)... So I started out really well with eating and doing cardio several times a week.  Lots about 4-5 pounds.  Then I got interrupted by a week-long outdoor project (lot's of physical activity but no cardio) and a short vacation (lots of walking).  Failed to get back into the good habits after that interlude  [End of excuses].  The eating went the wrong way, the exercise dried up, and the pounds came back.

I have righted the eating ship... back off the sweets wagon, less alcohol.  Started cardio 2+ times a week again.  Still lots of walking now that the nice weather is fully here and the dog walking/hiking has resumed.  I also started the pushup/situp/pullup challenges in full.  I think the rebound pounds are back off again.

So no real milestones to celebrate other than I got back on track.  Honestly it helped to have put myself out there on this thread... There was always a little nagging voice in the back of my head while scarfing down a piece of cake that I had to own up to it here.  Didn't want to be that guy that just disappeared...  I will try to may my next check-in sooner and hopefully with real accomplishments!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #364 on: June 07, 2018, 01:21:50 PM »
6 months late but I am here!

I've been working out steadily for 7 weeks now. Already lots of gains and losses.

-Bench press 225(never done that before)
-Squat and Deadlift 250 each(sounds reasonable for where I am now)
-Run a sub 6 minute mile(have never done, though close). I'll be about at my lightest when I turn 35 later in the summer so age will make this tough.
-Place in some athletic event, maybe a highland games. May not happen this year but would be nice to do once before I am too old.
-33 in waist
-<15% body fat
-<12% body fat temporarily
-<15% for maintenance

I have been following the Buff Dudes cutting plan. www.buffdudes.us The website is best for recipes, however I actually found them by looking for proper deadlift videos. Most of their stuff is informative but also funny and entertaining.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #365 on: June 07, 2018, 02:06:40 PM »
Jumping in a bit late!

I've started getting back into working out the past couple months as I'm trying to lose a few pounds and get back into shape.

Goals for the remainder of the year are;

Goal #1 Run a 28 min 5K = Last 5k I came in at 30:04 PR is 26:15 so somewhere in between sounds about right. To do this I will continue running (duh!) and add in a speed workout once a week with sprints.
Goal #2 Complete the Jillian Michael's Body Shred program - 90 day program to start this Sunday
Goal #3 Bike to work once a week
Goal #4 Do a split! I've never been able to do this, I have average flexibility though. To achieve this I will stretch daily and do yoga twice a week

Goal for June:
1. Run 2-3 times a week
2. Start Body shred program
3. Bike to work on Friday's starting next week
4. Stretch every day for 10 mins plus yoga 7 times

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #366 on: June 11, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »
-getting back into my daily walking routine(40 min), hoping that I can incorporate running slowly, as my hip allows
-daily yoga practice (yoga with Adrienne), often only 20 minutes but sometimes longer
-hiking has been happening as the snow recedes off the mountains

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #367 on: June 11, 2018, 10:14:42 PM »
Last weekend's workout was mostly walking a 5K.  This was an organized event, but aimed at families, so there were many little ones slowing the whole thing down.  I'm fine with it, as it gave a good chance to chat with & be silly with my friends.

It did make my PF hurt.  I made an appointment for an MD to call me today & he gave useful advice & followed it up with an email so I can't forget.  I'll add those things to the compression sock & the ice bottle (which were giving good results up through Friday).  Hopefully I'll be back in walking/running form by next weekend?  Although the MD said it could take months. >:(

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #368 on: June 12, 2018, 06:26:39 AM »
I ran 10k on Saturday and 10 miles on Sunday. Most distance in a weekend in a decade. :). I do need to be careful though, it was 90F when I ran Sunday - I got really cold at the very end of my run. I just missed heat stroke...

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #369 on: June 12, 2018, 07:49:41 AM »
Yeowch, oneday! Poor foot. Good on you for making the appointment with the doc. I hope it doesn't take months to heal, but do whatever you need to in order to keep your get in long term working order!

Eric222, glad you did not in fact get heatstroke. That's a good reminder to us all to be careful as the summer progresses in the northern hemisphere (and I didn't know getting cold was a symptom of heatstroke, so I've learned something!)

Progressed to the next week of my running program, which I've been taking slowly so as to keep the feet and legs in good shape. It's finally starting to work my lungs some!

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #370 on: June 12, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »
I'm still here keeping at it.  The majority of my goals for this year are running related. Right now I'm just focusing on following my marathon training plan that started on June 2.  I actually had to decrease my weekly mileage to follow this plan, but that's ok because my shins had been giving me grief. 

I ran 24 miles last week, this week I'm scheduled for 28.  I really like my training team -- I'm excited for the season. 

In other news, I joined a yoga studio (eekk).  I'm a former yoga hater but this studio really clicked for me and I love the style (Rocket yoga).  I cannot believe I'm paying over $100/month because I'm so cheap when it comes to fitness but there no chance I'll do yoga on my own while watching a video. Exercising twice a day once my mileage picks up might be difficult but for now I'm able to manage running, lifting and yoga. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #371 on: June 12, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »
Eric222, man.  Take it easy!  Running is at least in part about being healthy, so I'd hate to see you get sick from doing it!  Don't take my example (walking on an injury), lol.

diapasoun, good progress!  It's nice to have a tangible reminder of the gains, like suddenly feeling it in the lungs or wherever.  Thanks for the sympathy.

TX2RVA, your running sounds really fun. 

Runners unite :)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: June 14, 2018, 08:20:50 PM »
I have finally gotten restarted running. DH is doing a couch to half marathon training group (the same one I did last year) and I'm playing along. Trying to run when it's cooler during the day though.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #373 on: June 16, 2018, 09:56:27 AM »
I have finally gotten restarted running. DH is doing a couch to half marathon training group (the same one I did last year) and I'm playing along. Trying to run when it's cooler during the day though.

On doctor's advice, I replaced worn out shoes (plus other things).  Walking around in them since Wednesday gives me confidence they are right for my feet and so I ran a mile on the treadmill today to test them further.  No pain!  I'm so happy.  If I'm still feeling good on Monday, I'll do another mile or two.  It's good to be back in the race (or nearly so)!

ETA: @Mongoose my reply to you disappeared!  It was something like, welcome to the MMM running club :)

@diapasoun thanks!  I want to run again today, but don't want to push too hard.  Feet feel OK, but I've had times in the past where I pushed too hard & really regretted it.  Soooooo tempting, but no.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:50:02 PM by oneday »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #374 on: June 16, 2018, 07:22:26 PM »
Ahhh! I'm glad that new shoes have helped so much!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #375 on: June 18, 2018, 07:57:23 AM »
First run in about a month today. It was still cool and Lively when i went out. Only one loose dog. No skunks. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: June 18, 2018, 05:13:38 PM »
@Drole yay no skunks!

Ran another mile today and also did some walking around (errands).  Feet feel fine.  I will resume walking for my commute on Wed.  If I still feel OK, I'll run my normal 2 miles on Saturday.  Fingers crossed!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #377 on: June 20, 2018, 03:22:24 PM »
10 days until my first belt test in krav maga! EEEEEP. I hear it's 2-3 hour of nonstop cardio. Anyone have tips for getting endurance up in a short time?

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #378 on: June 24, 2018, 02:08:29 PM »
No.

@flan, endurance athlete here. The main advice I could offer is:
1. Hydrate if possible. Usually a body can do about 1.5 hours using what you have in your body. If you can hydrate starting half an hour in, your endurance will extend in that you won't collapse as fast or damage yourself as much.
2. Include some salt or sweat-like minerals if possible. Thus, Gatorade. Or bites of banana, if your exam allows sustenance during breaks.
3. Pace yourself. Where possible, do the exertion that's necessary, not 100% effort at all times. Block with minimal motion, wrestle for survival rather than immediate kills, etc... admittedly I know no krav maga, modify as needed.

If you've been doing long workouts already, taper in the last few days - equal intensity, shorter and shorter workouts. Last day or two, nothing hard at all.  Sleep as much as possible. Hydrate reasonably the day before.

If you haven't ever done a cardio challenge that long, I would assume that part of the test is to determine your behavior when you hit the wall. If the test is strong, you will hit it. Your brain will slow down, your limbs will feel like weights. Your instructors will see it. If you pass, later you will all laugh about it. But when it happens, you will be moving through molasses. The blows will come from nowhere. You will be confused.

That is when your heart rules all. Never quit. Never stop fighting. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 02:17:10 PM by Bicycle_B »

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #379 on: June 25, 2018, 09:07:33 AM »
No.

@flan, endurance athlete here. The main advice I could offer is:
1. Hydrate if possible. Usually a body can do about 1.5 hours using what you have in your body. If you can hydrate starting half an hour in, your endurance will extend in that you won't collapse as fast or damage yourself as much.
2. Include some salt or sweat-like minerals if possible. Thus, Gatorade. Or bites of banana, if your exam allows sustenance during breaks.
3. Pace yourself. Where possible, do the exertion that's necessary, not 100% effort at all times. Block with minimal motion, wrestle for survival rather than immediate kills, etc... admittedly I know no krav maga, modify as needed.

If you've been doing long workouts already, taper in the last few days - equal intensity, shorter and shorter workouts. Last day or two, nothing hard at all.  Sleep as much as possible. Hydrate reasonably the day before.

If you haven't ever done a cardio challenge that long, I would assume that part of the test is to determine your behavior when you hit the wall. If the test is strong, you will hit it. Your brain will slow down, your limbs will feel like weights. Your instructors will see it. If you pass, later you will all laugh about it. But when it happens, you will be moving through molasses. The blows will come from nowhere. You will be confused.

That is when your heart rules all. Never quit. Never stop fighting. Good luck.

This is all great advice!! I will plan on packing some snacks (maybe also a shake or smoothie) to stay hydrated and also nourished during the test. I think you're right - part of the test is behavioral because they do expect us to hit that wall. Thank you @Bicycle_B!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: June 25, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
Re shake or smoothie, perhaps reconsider.  Be aware that the body can process small amounts of sugar on the fly along with electrolytes, hence sport drinks help quickly.  But it cannot process fat and protein the same way.

Fat and protein use a different digestive process that sucks energy away from your muscles. They have a negative short term effect. Most shakes and smoothies therefore detract from your performance.

In any case, the main factor isn't adding calories for a 2 hour test. That's relevant for a 24 hour run. The main thing at 2 or 3 hours is electrolytes, so you don't cramp up or lose the ability to sweat. Again, water or sports drink.  Banana has electrolytes, hence is an option, but not a majority choice because of using some digestive energy. Sorry if I muddied the waters!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #381 on: June 25, 2018, 03:14:53 PM »
Re shake or smoothie, perhaps reconsider.  Be aware that the body can process small amounts of sugar on the fly along with electrolytes, hence sport drinks help quickly.  But it cannot process fat and protein the same way.

Fat and protein use a different digestive process that sucks energy away from your muscles. They have a negative short term effect. Most shakes and smoothies therefore detract from your performance.

In any case, the main factor isn't adding calories for a 2 hour test. That's relevant for a 24 hour run. The main thing at 2 or 3 hours is electrolytes, so you don't cramp up or lose the ability to sweat. Again, water or sports drink.  Banana has electrolytes, hence is an option, but not a majority choice because of using some digestive energy. Sorry if I muddied the waters!

Hey, no worries! Always appreciate the advice. Thank you for unmuddying the waters and clarifying about the main concern being electrolytes!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #382 on: June 26, 2018, 08:32:13 PM »
Resumed walking commute Wed & Thur with no pain.  Friday I needed the car after work, so didn't walk.  Kinda bummed that I only got 2 days of walking.

Ran my 2 miles on the weekend and feet felt fine!  I'm totally healed, but keeping up with some therapies recommended by many sources (including MMM S&F friends!) so I don't go right back to pain.

I think it is close to time for me to raise the bar a bit.  I want to run the full 2 miles, so I might add in a mile of running on the treadmill on work from home days.  Hoping that will increase overall fitness to a level where I can run longer before getting too winded.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: July 01, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »
Monthly check in - goals vs results to date.

<= 23.5% body fat... 31.4% 1/31, 30.4% 3/1, 29.5% 4/2, 28.6% 5/1, 29.7% 6/1, 28.4% 7/1. Need to pick up the pace. Will increase running and get more serious about strength.

Complete >=1 10K...  Ran 2x Jan, 11x Feb, 15x Mar, 7x Apr, 7x May, 8x Jun.  Ran 4 mile race in June.

Monthly goals: long runs for month 5.5 mi June done, 7 mi July, 9 Aug, 11 Sept, 13 Oct, run half marathon Nov.

Run 1 mile <= 07:15... 7:49 time trial, Mar.

Push ups 1 set/20... max 14 in Jan, 13 in Feb, 11 (?) Mar, 11 Apr, 15 May, 17 June. 

Pull ups 1 set/3... 2 in May!  Still rare.

Burpees 1 set/15... max 8 in Jan, 7 in Feb, 8 Mar, 11 Apr, 13 May, 15 June. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: July 01, 2018, 12:09:06 PM »
Had a fairly active June with heaps of hiking and yoga.
I completed a half-marathon which wasn't properly trained for, but running seems to aggravate my hip/glute so I am staying away for now. Hiking & walking it is..

July will focus on: 1-2 big hikes/week (5-8 hrs), continuing near daily yoga sessions & perhaps trying out the new gym that promises to open nearby (if they have a great introductory deal!)

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #385 on: July 01, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »

Hey, no worries! Always appreciate the advice. Thank you for unmuddying the waters and clarifying about the main concern being electrolytes!

Passed my krav maga yellow belt test!!! :)

Man people had literal gallons of coconut water (for electrolytes) and salt pills laying around (to prevent muscle cramps). @Bicycle_B your advice has proven very on point!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #386 on: July 01, 2018, 08:33:04 PM »
Tried to run my usual 2 miles, but felt weird in a bunch of ways.  Tightness, stride was off, and the freakin' foot pain is back!  Cut it to 1 mile, which was the shortest I could by the time my foot started hurting.  Back to therapies.  I guess my prediction of being healed last Saturday was premature.

Bicycle_B thanks for reminding me about pushups.  When my phone died, I lost the reminders.  Did 5 today (incline style) and felt strain in my armpit area.  Not sure if I'm doing them wrong or have lost strength.  I'll just take it easy & hope for the best.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:52:25 PM by oneday »

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #387 on: July 01, 2018, 08:46:24 PM »

Passed my krav maga yellow belt test!!! :)

Congratulations, @flan!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #388 on: July 02, 2018, 07:25:13 AM »
@jordanread myself and haypug16 have our goals up for a while and havn't been added.

speaking of which anyone know why jordanread has been a guest for over a week now? can't even search his old post to see if he got banned or whatever.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #389 on: July 02, 2018, 02:01:47 PM »
@jordanread myself and haypug16 have our goals up for a while and havn't been added.

speaking of which anyone know why jordanread has been a guest for over a week now? can't even search his old post to see if he got banned or whatever.

He left the forum on his own.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: July 03, 2018, 06:38:39 AM »

any idea why?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #391 on: July 03, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »

any idea why?

Sorry my reply was so curt.  I was replying on my phone.

He left of his own volition in order to take care of himself better IRL.  He's still in touch with a few forum people and he's doing ok from what info has trickled back here & there.

ETA: below is his announcement of his final involvement in this thread on 5/22.  Easy to miss. If you follow the link back, you will see he & I had a tiny bit of back & forth that clarifies a bit.

Never will you find this challenge made by me again.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:56:13 AM by oneday »

enFuego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Somewhere between On Fire and FIRE...
« Reply #392 on: July 03, 2018, 08:43:29 PM »
So I had an unrelated injury and it required surgery. I won't be doing any push-ups or pull-ups for months. I am essentially out of commission for the short term except for as much walking and hiking as I can get in. Hopefully I can resume sit-ups, spin and running in a few weeks. It'll probably be about pain management at that point. Not sure what my exercise goals for the year actually are at this point but I will need to focus on eating healthy to lose weight as my exercise is limited. So far a very underwhelming and disappointing challenge on my part but I'll do what I can and try again.

I will continue to check in. I enjoy reading everyone's updates. Keep it up all.

Best wishes to @jordanread.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #393 on: July 05, 2018, 07:41:17 AM »
OK, time to get back on the horse. Here are my original goals:

• Don't die
  • Consistently train for 5K
  • Complete >= 2 5Ks by 07/15/18
  • Complete 5k <= 25:59
  • Complete 5k <= 24:45
  • Strength Training >= 2x/week
  • Body fat <= 16%
  • Create plan for over summer break

And now I can cross off the 2 5ks by 7/15, because I ran a 4-mile race on 7/4. I don't have the time yet, but I know it wasn't on the 8:00/mile pace of my 5k goal, so that one remains outstanding.

My plan for the rest of the summer:

- Strength training 2x/week, starting as soon as I finish this post
 - Continue running, outdoors when possible, but on treadmill if too hot or rainy
 - 10k steps/day during my upcoming vacation
 - Strength training during vacation
 - Chop wood 1 hour/week until winter or until the wood is all chopped
 - Run 5k race in October

And now I can cross off the goal of creating a plan for over the summer break.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: July 05, 2018, 07:52:27 AM »
-Bench press 225(never done that before)195 pretty easily, 205 and needed a spot
-Squat and Deadlift 250 each(sounds reasonable for where I am now)-deadlifted 215
-Run a sub 6 minute mile(have never done, though close). I'll be about at my lightest when I turn 35 later in the summer so age will make this tough.got to an even 7 min on treadmill
-Place in some athletic event, maybe a highland games. May not happen this year but would be nice to do once before I am too old.
-33 in waist
-<15% body fatthe little machine says I am 15.3 so getting close at least
-<12% body fat temporarily
-<15% for maintenance

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #395 on: July 05, 2018, 10:27:49 AM »
I completed one of my goals on Memorial Day but I forgot to check  in.  I completed "Murph" without a vest and I used a band to assist with the pullups.  My time was 53 minutes. 

I'm in the 5th week of marathon training.  It is hot and humid and grass pollen is off the charts but I'm getting through it and staying positive.  I know things will get rough once the mileage increases later in the summer.  This week I finally started to push myself on my Tuesday run because I have the very bad habit of running all distances within a :30 second range.  That does me no favors.  Easy runs should be very easy and short runs should be hard.  I'm a habitual sandbagger, hoping to change my ways.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #396 on: July 05, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
Interesting, I had forgotten about Murph.

So if you are trying for the first time do you cut the running in half too or just the pullup/pushup/squat reps?

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #397 on: July 05, 2018, 01:15:17 PM »
Interesting, I had forgotten about Murph.

So if you are trying for the first time do you cut the running in half too or just the pullup/pushup/squat reps?

@hoping2retire35 -- Yes, you would cut the run in half as well.  I also partitioned the reps so I did 10 pullups/20 pushups/30 squats and repeated for 10 rounds, you could do 5 instead. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: July 05, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »
enFuego - good luck with your recovery.  Glad to hear you are not totally incapacitated & can still walk!

Well Respected Man, hoping2retire35, TX2RVA - great to see you all making strides toward your goals!

Didn't run because the foot pain is back (intermittently).  Made the mistake of walking a bunch (in my new supportive shoes no less) on Sunday, and that just made the intermittent become permanent.  But I don't like being a couch potato!  This is tough, but I'll just go back to my therapies & "ground" myself for another week.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: July 06, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
I was on vacation in June and realized I hadn't posted here in awhile! My Mt. Whitney hike is coming up in just a few days...I did some running and some hiking on vacation (I got to run in NYC and hike in Maine and New Hampshire!). We did a lot of walking during the trip too. We got back the middle of last week and since then I've done one decent hike in the heat and a few runs. I am back up to running 5 miles as of this morning. I leave Sunday to drive up for my Mt. Whitney hike, with shorter day hikes planned for both Sunday and Monday before the big hike Tuesday. I've never hiked 21 miles before; my longest day is 18.5 backpacking Gorgonio, but with a full pack. Should be interesting.

After the hike I am ramping up my running, especially on trails, so that I can pace my brother in August. He's running the Kodiak 100 and I REALLY want to run the last 14 with him into the finish. I'm not sure I'll be ready; I have only run double digits twice, and both times on roads at sea level. Any ultra runners have some advice or training recommendations? I've joined a local trail running group so I'm hoping that will help. And besides, he'll have just run 86 miles...he'll hopefully be tired enough that I can keep up and help his progress as opposed to hinder it!

I've been sucking at getting to yoga and boot camp; haven't been since vacation. I plan to go back today if my work schedule will allow.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!