Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2018  (Read 77830 times)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2018
« Reply #300 on: April 23, 2018, 02:35:35 PM »
@FireHiker, @TX2RVA, Well Respected Man - so inspiring, I began tackling my burpees goal after reading your posts!

Aww, thanks @Bicycle_B ! I've historically been pretty sedentary other than hiking and occasional bursts of short-lived fitness. This is the first time in my life where I feel GOOD about where I'm heading with my health and fitness, and like it's something I'll keep up going forward. Maybe it's a mid-life crisis since I turn 40 this summer? Whatever it is, I feel great so I'll take it!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #301 on: April 24, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »
@FireHiker, @TX2RVA, Well Respected Man - so inspiring, I began tackling my burpees goal after reading your posts!

Thanks @BicycleB -- I'm a certified burpee hater but I have to work on them to accomplish one of the goals I set for myself this year.  How many are you doing at a time?

At this point, a paltry 9.  Up from 7 and then 8...    :)

I set my target at 15.  But my unstated goal is to get through 30 burpees as fast as possible, minimizing rest, so that I can compete in an event where penalties of "30 burpees" are assessed.  I need to be able to do these without multiple "rest" breaks, so a penalty is 2 or 3 minutes instead of 5 or 6.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #302 on: April 24, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »
Skipped the 2 mile run this last weekend.  I've always got an excuse.  This time it was that I had organized two different groups of people (Sat & Sun) to help me finish moving.  And that moving is good exercise when you are moving into the 3rd floor. 

Well, it also turns out that I'm not in *that* good of shape, and I was pretty exhausted by Sunday evening.  In the long run, I'm glad I didn't hold myself to the goal this week (run by Saturday), and will run this evening instead.  Rest is good; avoiding over-training is good; being flexible is good.

ETA: I did the run.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 09:52:54 PM by oneday »

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #303 on: April 24, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »

Thanks @BicycleB -- I'm a certified burpee hater but I have to work on them to accomplish one of the goals I set for myself this year.  How many are you doing at a time?

At this point, a paltry 9.  Up from 7 and then 8...    :)

I set my target at 15.  But my unstated goal is to get through 30 burpees as fast as possible, minimizing rest, so that I can compete in an event where penalties of "30 burpees" are assessed.  I need to be able to do these without multiple "rest" breaks, so a penalty is 2 or 3 minutes instead of 5 or 6.

Good luck, I don’t know if I could do 9 unbroken. I need to be able to do 4 sets of 10 with a 5k of running intertwined in under 30 minutes. The running part has gotten much easier but I still dislike burpees!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #304 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »
I've basically been out of commission for a whole month due to sickness, but I DO have a date for my krav maga level 1 belt test! Mid-June! It's going to be mostly cardiovascular endurance (~3 hours of continuous activity) so I gotta whip my butt into shape in May.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #305 on: April 25, 2018, 09:46:00 AM »
I am also finally getting back into gear, after bronchitis and Family Stuff(TM). Re-starting my running program, and am trying to do at least a few bodyweight exercises on non-run days. I really like the content of the full program that was linked earlier, but I think it's just Too Much right now given the amount of time available in a day and all the other things I want to accomplish in my life. I've been using Darebee to give me a variety of workout blocks, often cobbling together what looks and sounds good ("I want to do arms and core today and my knees hurt, so let's sub some punches for those lunges"). That's been fun (variety) and fairly effective (I usually feel it a little bit the next day).

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: April 27, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
I ran my first ever 10k (well, 6.31 miles) today! Feeling fantastic, albeit a little tired. My biggest complaint is that I find I'm always starving, which is not helping me lose weight...but I'm primarily focused on upping my fitness and hoping to see some weight decrease over time.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #307 on: April 27, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »
Making excellent progress towards being “farmer strong”. Today was shoveling piles of shit for a couple hours and then a hike. My back is feeling healthier than it has in years. Not 100% but getting there. This lets me work much longer than before, I’m at a point with practical task endurance that I can work doing heavy lifting for several hours without tiring, and could crank off at least 10-15 miles of walking no sweat if I actually had the time (have only done 8 so far).

Definitely take my time, do posture breaks, don’t overdo it but I’m really happy with my progress so far. Much further than I thought I would be at the beginning of the year.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: April 28, 2018, 07:55:19 PM »
I ran my first ever 10k (well, 6.31 miles) today! Feeling fantastic, albeit a little tired. My biggest complaint is that I find I'm always starving, which is not helping me lose weight...but I'm primarily focused on upping my fitness and hoping to see some weight decrease over time.

Congrats!  I'm in the same boat with less weight loss.  For now I'm focusing on "functional" gains, like being able to go up the stairs to my 3rd floor apartment without huffing & puffing.  Also looking for weight decrease in the long run (har).

2 miles today.  I haven't calculated the time (need to look up the list of songs Pandora played for me).  But it felt pretty good.  I'm close to being where I was in mid-Feb before I took a break for selling & moving house.

Also did 10 wall pushups today.  Haven't been doing these as my shoulder was feeling off, but what the heck.  I'll keep tabs on how the shoulder feels.  Also attempted an incline pushup.  I can get about 60% of the way down, which is a significant improvement, I would say I could go about 35% of the way down before I focused on pushups.  I'll try to sprinkle some wall pushups into my life more regularly so I don't lose my gains.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #309 on: April 30, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
@jordanread at the end of January, I just thought those were good goals for me in general, so I've been aiming for them every month. Can we just remove "January" and add a twice per week cycling goal? I cycle more than that usually for errands and such, but getting in two solid steady rides would be excellent in addition to riding to work and errands when possible.

Check in on those monthly goals:

January- Good except for the week I got the flu
February- Check!
March- Check!
April- Well....

I did catch a cold early-April that got into my chest enough I stopped cardio to avoid making it worse, but I really haven't jumped back on the bandwagon. And that's on me. But! May is a new month.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: May 01, 2018, 08:32:08 AM »
Monthly check in - goals vs results to date.

<= 23.5% body fat... 31.4% 1/31, 30.4% 3/1, 29.5% 4/2, 28.6% 5/1.   

Complete >=1 10K...  Ran 2x Jan, 11x Feb, 15x Mar, 7x Apr.  Spooked myself after some pain that followed March's 6.5 training run.  Longest run in Apr was 4.4 mi, done on 4/29.   Nonetheless officially emerged from physical therapy from plantar fasciitis because it's reached the point where pain is low and I can keep myself healthy doing exercises on my own.  Have begun tracking these exercises to have a measurable baseline that can be compared to results. 

Run 1 mile <= 07:15... 7:49 time trial, Mar.

Push ups 1 set/20... max 14 in Jan, 13 in Feb, 11 (?) Mar, 11 Apr. 

Pull ups 1 set/3... 1

Burpees 1 set/15... max 8 in Jan, 7 in Feb, 8 Mar, 11 Apr. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:35:51 AM by Bicycle_B »

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #311 on: May 01, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »
Good luck with your efforts, @oneday!

I can check off my boot camp weights goal, because I switched exclusively to 5's and 8's today successfully!

For my Whitney goal I did a training backpacking one-nighter this past weekend. 7.8 miles with 2563 ft elevation gain Saturday, and 16.1 miles with 2911 ft elevation gain Sunday, both with a full pack (Taquitz and San Jacinto), 10,800 approx. highest elevation. In two weekends I'll be doing Gorgonio, which is 11,500 ft elevation. Aside from my calves being really sore (I need to do more hills, clearly) I feel pretty great!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #312 on: May 04, 2018, 11:23:46 PM »

Congrats @FireHiker well done! You may find that your hunger increases a little bit because you are burning much more calories in your training?

Today I actually ran in a 10k race at Sydney Olympic Park. I've tended in the past to go out quite slow in races of this distance so as not to "explode" with one or 2 kilometres to go. The problem is I could never "kick" at the end and improve my time - I'd be going at the "slower" pace, and then end up going "even slower" at the end.

At the risk of saying something ridiculous - I pose the stupid fitness question of the day: What if you simply spent less time on course, so there is less time to get tired?

I put the plan into action. Last week I ran a 24:32 5k on a flat 400m track. I figured why not simply try and run at a 5:00/km pace until I inevitably explode, and hopefully the explosion will happen at a theoretical 11km mark, which is 5 minutes after I would theoretically finish.

Gun goes off and I settle in to a rhythm 25 metres in front of the 50 minute pace group. This worked for 5km (yay). They caught me after 6km (ok still good) however unfortunately on the barest of little rises I started falling behind.

By 7k I was 20 seconds behind, but you know what? I was almost 3 minutes in front of my 10k PB pace.

I could choose to run at 6:00 a km and still clock a best time. But I didn't... ended up doing about a 5:15 for KM8 and KM9 and finished well for a time just under 51 minutes - PB by 3 minutes over this distance.

I appreciate how wrong headed* the reasoning is. But fuck it worked. Next time around I'll get under 50 for sure!

*Either I've got a much better time in me for the 5k, or it's been too long since I last did a flat 10k :D

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2018, 09:47:09 AM »
Congrats on your new PB, @marty998! As for your "stupid fitness question of the day", it reminds me of a story one of my runner friends told me. It was about a really slow person who finished a marathon towards the back of the pack (last? I can't remember for sure now). Either the winner or one of the fast runners who nearly won talked with the slow person. The slow person was amazed at how quickly the fast person had finished the race, and the fast person was amazed at the endurance that it must take to run for the additional hours. I've told it poorly, but hopefully the idea is there.

And yes, I'm probably burning a lot more calories; I really need to get the nutrition side of things sorted out. But, I ran 7.28 miles yesterday! Feeling pretty good. Not sure if I'll get an 8 mile run in as my training schedule shows for the coming week because I'm backpacking Gorgonio, but at least I will be doing something. Less than 4 weeks now to the half!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »
Progress update:

1. Last week did over 10 miles in one day walking -- not all exactly at once, but pretty much "walk, 10 minute break, walk, lunch, walk". Had the DOMs. That one definitely needs more training.

2. I'm making steady progress on my running regimen, and enjoying it. Who knew that having new shoes that aren't almost worn through could make such a difference! I'm still at the stage where my legs hurt more than my lungs; my feet have to get used to the impact, whereas my lungs are pretty fine from constant walking and general activity. Soon, I will be at that hell stage where my lungs hurt instead, and I will be less chipper then. Right now, though, I'm very chipper about running.

3. I found a training regimen through Darebee called The Hero's Journey. It's a bodyweight regimen with an RPG component, and although I'm early into it, I'm enjoying it -- the RPG element is fun, and very well done. It's not the regimen I'd go with if I wanted to be Super Hardcore and really max out gains, but I'm finding it much easier to stick with this regimen for a while, and right now that beats out everything else. It's got variety, it fits in my schedule time-wise, and I get a nice little dose of storyline.

4. Not one of my listed goals, but I've been working towards both (a) generally eating healthier and (b) eating vegetarian much more frequently. It's been fun and I've been coming up with more and more interesting meals.

jordanread

« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »
Progress update:

3. I found a training regimen through Darebee called The Hero's Journey. It's a bodyweight regimen with an RPG component, and although I'm early into it, I'm enjoying it -- the RPG element is fun, and very well done. It's not the regimen I'd go with if I wanted to be Super Hardcore and really max out gains, but I'm finding it much easier to stick with this regimen for a while, and right now that beats out everything else. It's got variety, it fits in my schedule time-wise, and I get a nice little dose of storyline.

@Kerowyn and I have discussed this program before, and I was totally pissed that you mentioned it as if it was not in the Resource post. Um...it's not.

This is a major failure on my part, and I apologize to you all. I have 'toh.

It's been discussed from the first time I started this gauntlet. Thank you for the link, and I will definitely add it to the resource post moving forward. My mistake.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:23:49 PM by jordanread »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2018, 04:36:16 PM »
Progress update:

@Kerowyn and I have discussed this program before, and I was totally pissed that you mentioned it as if it was not in the Resource post. Um...it's not.

It's been discussed from the first time I started this gauntlet. Thank you for the link, and I will definitely add it to the resource post moving forward. My mistake.

I'm so glad other folks have used/liked it! I really am having a fantastic time with it so far, and I think that I'm going to try to use the fantasy/RPG aspect in self-designed workouts in the future.

jordanread

« Reply #317 on: May 07, 2018, 04:48:11 PM »
Progress update:

I'm so glad other folks have used/liked it! I really am having a fantastic time with it so far, and I think that I'm going to try to use the fantasy/RPG aspect in self-designed workouts in the future.

I love the program. It's on the resource post now. Thanks again!!

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #318 on: May 08, 2018, 09:10:21 AM »
Oh, thanks for posting, that website looks cool.  So many workout programs!

Goals for May 7-13
- Run 40 miles (4/40)
- 5 yoga sessions (1/5)
- 4 strength training sessions (2/4)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: May 08, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »
@diapasoun @jordanread @Kerowyn thanks for mentioning the Darebee site!  It looks useful, budget conscious and friendly to a fitness noob like me.

I did not run this week.  More excuses, but I haven't given up on running.  It's just sporadic right now as I put effort into moving house, then don't have energy left for other things.  I'm not sure I should alter my goal of running 2mi/week...that's still the goal.  Obviously I won't get that in every week this year; it's already too late for that.  But I'm making running more of a priority & when I skip, it's less often just blowing it off and more for reasons of needing rest or something.  Does this mean my excuses are just getting more elaborate?

The end goal is to make fitness a priority in my life, and I am moving in that direction, so I guess no changes for now.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #320 on: May 09, 2018, 05:16:47 AM »
@FireHiker maybe there is a sweet spot between going too fast and too slow :)

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: May 09, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
@FireHiker maybe there is a sweet spot between going too fast and too slow :)

Yeah, that's what I'm after! I will definitely not be anywhere near the front in my half marathon in a few weeks, but I feel pretty confident that I won't be in the very back either.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #322 on: May 13, 2018, 08:43:06 AM »
I'm making good progress on my goals for the year.

@Eric222

Weigh <= 190lbs
Run regularly
Complete 1/2 Marathon > 2:00:00

I've been at 185 +/- 3 pounds for 6 weeks.
I ran 9 miles yesterday.
First half marathon is in 2 weeks.  I'll be able to finish....2 hours might be a stretch.  I have agreed to run a marathon with my brother in October, so that will be interesting...
I've been doing Yoga frequently, which is helping prevent injuries and is making it easier to run (so much less tight!).  I haven't felt this good since...grad school, when I was running marathons...hmmmmm.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: May 13, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »
Feeling good!  That's the payoff.  These other goals are steps.  Great stuff @Eric2222, very happy for you.  Good luck with your half marathon.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #324 on: May 14, 2018, 10:00:47 AM »
Another training hike for Whitney in the books. We did Vivian Creek Trail to San Gorgonio this weekend, spending the night at High Creek Camp. Wow, what a butt kicker. I am much less sore today than I was after San Jacinto two weeks ago though, and I had no issues with the altitude at all. I do need to do some more hill work because the steep downhill (and damn, was it steep in sections!) was rough and I ended up with a few minor blisters.

Today is rest day, but back to boot camp tomorrow and another 5 mile run Wednesday!

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #325 on: May 14, 2018, 10:04:31 AM »
Two runs and two bodyweight workouts this past week. I should have also gone for a run over the weekend, but just... didn't. Nonetheless, 4/7 is good for days worked out during a week. I'll take my improvement and not judge myself too much.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #326 on: May 14, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
Oh, thanks for posting, that website looks cool.  So many workout programs!

Goals for May 7-13
- Run 40 miles (4/40)
- 5 yoga sessions (1/5)
- 4 strength training sessions (2/4)

Update on last week's goals:

Goals for May 7-13
- Run 40 miles (27/40) -- dealing with some shin and ankle pain from overzealous stretches found on YT (ugh)
- 5 yoga sessions (5/5)
- 4 strength training sessions (4/4)

Goals for May 14-20
- Run 35 miles
- 5 yoga sessions
- 4 strength training sessions

I hit a new PR on my chin-ups this morning (10 reps).  Hoping to get to 10 pull-ups by the end of the summer. 

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #327 on: May 14, 2018, 05:45:16 PM »
I just had an almost head-on collision with a painted lady butterfly this afternoon while running -- I was going one way, the butterfly was going another way, and then a gust of wind launched the butterfly almost into my face (luckily, I ducked).

Anyone else have any good wildlife encounters recently while exercising?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #328 on: May 14, 2018, 07:26:32 PM »
I just had an almost head-on collision with a painted lady butterfly this afternoon while running -- I was going one way, the butterfly was going another way, and then a gust of wind launched the butterfly almost into my face (luckily, I ducked).

Anyone else have any good wildlife encounters recently while exercising?

@diapasoun not recently as in the last week, but within a month or 6 weeks, I've seen a group of 3 pelicans swimming & feeding underwater in sync.  It's pretty cool!  I hadn't seen that before.

Another day there was a whole flock of pigeons on the trail. They didn't want to give up their territory to me since they were feeding on something, but flew away at the last second.  Silly birds, I don't want your grubs!

jordanread

« Reply #329 on: May 14, 2018, 08:10:35 PM »
Pelicans are so gross!!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: May 14, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »
Pelicans are so gross!!

Maybe up closer than I was.  They were pretty far out in the lake.  They coordinated their movements, dare I say, elegantly?

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #331 on: May 14, 2018, 11:33:34 PM »
Two runs and two bodyweight workouts this past week. I should have also gone for a run over the weekend, but just... didn't. Nonetheless, 4/7 is good for days worked out during a week. I'll take my improvement and not judge myself too much.

(claps)
well done!!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #332 on: May 15, 2018, 09:33:11 AM »
Good work everyone!

I took over a month off from exercise after re-aggravating a hip/pelvic injury..went skiing recently and realized it definitely is the aggravating factor.
Might need to train/rehab this area for next year so that I don't have this problem again.

Had to cancel my half-marathon (June2) due to this injury, but that feels like the right thing to do.

Have been bike commuting, daily dipping/swimming and getting back into hiking as the snow melts--did a 6.5 hour hike last week and felt good, some soreness the next day. Going for a 4 day hiking trip next week (small days, so shouldn't be too bad except carrying backpacks always adds to it).

Today heading for a small hike, few hours, not a big elevation gain.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #333 on: May 22, 2018, 05:15:55 PM »
Last week was 2 runs and 1 bodyweight workout -- very lazy overall, although I also had some serious DOMS from them as well. This week I intend to go a little less hard but get more workouts in overall.

jordanread

« Reply #334 on: May 22, 2018, 08:49:48 PM »
Never will you find this challenge made by me again.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #335 on: May 22, 2018, 08:52:08 PM »
Hmm,  I kind of "forgot" to update last week.  Update for last week: didn't run.

This week I ran on Sunday rather than Saturday.  Three segments walking and two running for a total time of 34 minutes over 2 miles. 

I felt the strangest sensation.  I went out with another person, who was going to walk a shorter route and we would meet at the end.  We began together on the part of the route that is the same for both trails.  We were talking over her options for which ways to go & how long it might take, etc.  We passed the point where I normally transition from warm up (walking) to running.  All of a sudden, my body sent out this almost irresistible urge to run!  I really had to suppress it, since we were still discussing options, which was pretty hard to do.  I've never had my body yell at me to work out before...maybe it likes the activity?  Who knew!

Are you saying this is the last year you are "sponsoring" the S&F thread??? [confused face emoji]

jordanread

« Reply #336 on: May 22, 2018, 08:57:44 PM »

Are you saying this is the last year you are "sponsoring" the S&F thread??? [confused face emoji]

If by sponsoring, you mean taking accountability for it...yes. One can take it over. I don't care so much.

It won't be in my signature anymore, nor will I think I do good.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: May 22, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
I am sad.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2018, 09:35:24 PM »
It's been a wonderful run up to now.  Thanks for what you've already done, JordanRead, has helped a lot. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #339 on: May 22, 2018, 09:37:08 PM »
It's been a wonderful run up to now.  Thanks for what you've already done, JordanRead, has helped a lot.

Oh god.  Of course, this too!  I have benefited greatly even 5 months into this year from this thread, thank you so much!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: May 23, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »
Checking in; I'm doing really well! I ran 5 miles twice last week (and this morning), 9 miles Sunday (longest EVER and felt super strong), boot camp twice last week AND yesterday, using 5's and 8's, and power yoga (hot) 60 minutes Monday. I'm feeling great and I'm so excited to finally be making progress with my strength and fitness goals.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2018, 10:13:30 AM »
Checking in; I'm doing really well! I ran 5 miles twice last week (and this morning), 9 miles Sunday (longest EVER and felt super strong), boot camp twice last week AND yesterday, using 5's and 8's, and power yoga (hot) 60 minutes Monday. I'm feeling great and I'm so excited to finally be making progress with my strength and fitness goals.

FireHiker, that's awesome!!!

Jordan, just wanted to (a) thank you for starting this thread and collecting all these wonderful resources, and (b) strength and fitness is about a lot more than just your muscles. Take care of yourself as you're going off the forums, and remember that there are people rooting for you.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #342 on: May 23, 2018, 10:26:31 AM »
New to the thread, but I've been reasonably happy with my progress in 2018. My goals are:
1. A round of 21 Day Fix every month. For those of you not familiar, it's a total of 9 strength focused HIIT workouts, 6 cardio workouts, 3 pilates, & 3 yoga workouts. I like & need the balance
2. Training/running a half marathon
3. Based on the above two, and better eating choices, lose weight.

So far, I've done a reasonable job on #1 & #3. I've only lost 4 pounds, but my clothes fit much better & I overall feel much more toned. However, I have a huge mental block on #2. And, I've done 5 half marathons before, so it's not like I'm tackling something new. I can tell that I'm afraid of failure. I'm not training enough to have it come easy, so with each 3 miler, it's like starting over. Which, as runners know, is no fun. I'm not sure how to break out of this rut. :-(

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #343 on: May 23, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
One of my 3 goals this year was "Pass Level 1 Krav Maga Belt test". IT'S BEEN SCHEDULED FOR JUNE 30!! (barring any injuries or unforeseen circumstances).

I HAVE 38 days to whip myself into super shape. It's a 3-6 hour test. During the day. In the Texas heat.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #344 on: May 29, 2018, 06:51:51 AM »
Ran my first half marathon on the year May 19, it went fine. Not a PR, but I wasn't well trained for a PR, I was trained to cover the distance with DH and that's what I did! Then we spent a week hiking at Theodore Roosevelt National Park. What a lovely place! I've been to several national parks in the US, this one might be my favorite for the variety of hiking, animals, and general lack of people. It was great!

Back to my regular schedule this week. Run > Cycle > Swim > Yoga.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #345 on: May 29, 2018, 10:14:34 AM »
I did my first ever double digit run Sunday: 10 miles! That was the longest run for the Hal Higdon half marathon novice plan, so now I taper this week and run my first ever half marathon next Sunday. So excited!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #346 on: May 30, 2018, 06:13:01 AM »
I did my first ever double digit run Sunday: 10 miles! That was the longest run for the Hal Higdon half marathon novice plan, so now I taper this week and run my first ever half marathon next Sunday. So excited!

Great job on the 10 miler, that first double digit run was when I finally felt like I could really complete the half marathon. Good luck on your half!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #347 on: May 30, 2018, 10:12:48 PM »
Ran last weekend, 2 miles.  If I can believe the clock, I did it in 31 minutes.  Didn't seem that fast when I was doing it.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »
Great job on the 10 miler, that first double digit run was when I finally felt like I could really complete the half marathon. Good luck on your half!

Thank you so much! I'm really looking forward to the race this weekend. It seems like it's actually going to be possible to run the whole thing, which is something I never would have dreamed I could do until recently. It's still all a little bit surreal to think that I RUN now...but I like it.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #349 on: June 01, 2018, 12:30:01 PM »
Monthly check in - goals vs results to date.

<= 23.5% body fat... 31.4% 1/31, 30.4% 3/1, 29.5% 4/2, 28.6% 5/1, 29.7% 6/1.

Complete >=1 10K...  Ran 2x Jan, 11x Feb, 15x Mar, 7x Apr, 7x May. Longest run May, 4.2 mi.  New goals: long runs for month 5.5 mi June, 7 July, 9 Aug, 11 Sept, 13 Oct, run half marathon Nov.

Run 1 mile <= 07:15... 7:49 time trial, Mar.

Push ups 1 set/20... max 14 in Jan, 13 in Feb, 11 (?) Mar, 11 Apr, 15 May. 

Pull ups 1 set/3... 2 in May!  Still rare.

Burpees 1 set/15... max 8 in Jan, 7 in Feb, 8 Mar, 11 Apr, 13 May.  Did 30 in 3 sets – 13 reps, then 9, then 8.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!