Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2018  (Read 77849 times)

asosharp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Strength & Fitness 2018
« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2018, 07:32:37 AM »
I'll jump in a bit later with additional stuff. First however, @asosharp , what is your diet normally like? Do you know what your body is burning as fuel usually (i.e. fat or sugars/carbs)? That would determine what a good snack would be.

Hmm... well the food I cook depends on what I feel on each day.

Breakfast is usually water and toast with peanut butter.

Lunch varies. It could be a sandwich or roll, left overs, chia pudding, salad with chicken/fish etc.

Dinner varies depending on what I cook. Pasta, or chicken/beef, vege, rice. Noodles. Egg with vegetables. Tofu. I don't have a set menu. I cook both Asian and western cuisine.

Fruits like apples or bananas. Depends what is in season.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
@Eric222 for yoga, there’s a YouTube channel called something like “30 Days of yoga with Adrienne” that gets consistently recommended as a good introduction for beginners. Plus, since it’s YouTube, it’s free and you can do it at home without feeling self conscious :)

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #202 on: March 04, 2018, 06:27:26 PM »
Checking in monthly for accountability - goals vs results to date.

<= 23.5% body fat... 31.4% 1/31, 30.4% 2/1. 

Complete >=1 10K...  Ran 2x Jan, 11x Feb.   Longest run 4.2 miles, up from January's 2.5.  Again did 8 sessions of physical therapy for plantar fasciitis and a fair bit of related stretching/exercises, will continue. 

Run 1 mile <= 07:15... no time trial.  Improved pace of 3 mile run to a peak of 9:28/mile, Jan peak was 10:15/mi.

Push ups 1 set/20... max 14 in Jan, 13 in Feb.

Pull ups 1 set/3... peak of 1 per set, but can now do 2 sets that complete a full pullup.

Burpees 1 set/15... Jan peak of 8, Feb peak of 7. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: March 04, 2018, 07:13:08 PM »
@Eric222 I also like Yoga with Adriene-- here is one class specifically for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHTeHAZQhM

I have done yoga for years-- sometimes at studios, occasionally a home practice and both are great options.
I would encourage you to try some out at home until you feel comfortable but don't worry about how it looks yoga is for everybody and ability! My boyfriend goes even though he is the most non-flexible guy around. It's great to have an instructor give feedback as well.

If you go to a studio you can look for restorative (often billed for injuries), hatha or yin (longer holds) classes..these are usually good for starting out.
Vinyasa or flow can be more demanding so if you try one of those make sure the instructor knows you are a beginner and they can guide you. And enjoy! :)

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: March 05, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »
Weekly update:

- I ran 4 times last week for a total of 32.1 miles -- down 3 miles from the previous week, but I did run 12 miles on both Saturday and Sunday. 

-Last week I was feeling a bit tired but I think my body is getting acclimated to the increased mileage.

-I lifted weights 3 times.  I feel like the running is taking away from my strength but it could just be an adjustment phase.

-I did not stretch or foam roll enough.  I have so many Yoga with Adrienne videos saved, I really just need to make the time for yoga the way I make time for running and lifting.

- I have to travel for work at the end of this week so I'm not setting any drastic goals for this week, just want to get in 25 miles or more and two strength sessions. 

-The plan is for my weekly mileage to be in the 40-50 mile per week range by early April. 

- My half marathon is just over 6 weeks away!  It is hilly (compared to my last) so expecting to PR might be a stretch but I'll see. 

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
@Eric222 for yoga, there’s a YouTube channel called something like “30 Days of yoga with Adrienne” that gets consistently recommended as a good introduction for beginners. Plus, since it’s YouTube, it’s free and you can do it at home without feeling self conscious :)
@Eric222 I also like Yoga with Adriene-- here is one class specifically for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHTeHAZQhM

I have done yoga for years-- sometimes at studios, occasionally a home practice and both are great options.
I would encourage you to try some out at home until you feel comfortable but don't worry about how it looks yoga is for everybody and ability! My boyfriend goes even though he is the most non-flexible guy around. It's great to have an instructor give feedback as well.

If you go to a studio you can look for restorative (often billed for injuries), hatha or yin (longer holds) classes..these are usually good for starting out.
Vinyasa or flow can be more demanding so if you try one of those make sure the instructor knows you are a beginner and they can guide you. And enjoy! :)

Thanks both!  I've tried a beginner class on You Tube (sort of at random), but I've seen the ones Adrienne's mentioned.  I'll give that a try.  It seems very doable to start doing it at home until I'm more comfortable (it won't take long).  So far I've figured out that my hamstrings are tight - amazing how much looser they can get after a good stretch.  Classes with longer holds are exactly what I'm looking for, nice to know the proper names. :)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2018, 09:06:30 AM »
Weekly check-in:Last Monday I went for a great hard run (hard for me). Felt wonderful. Knew I was gonna be sore the next day.

Monday night, woke up with chills. And thus began The Cold From Hell.

I'm now in recovery mode -- today is my first day back to work -- and have some seriously diminished lung capacity. Running and strength training are going to go on the back burner for a bit until I get my lungs back into enough shape just for two daily walks and some super gentle yoga.

In the meantime, awesome to see everyone getting some sweet sweet workouts in. :)

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »
I went to lift weights for the 3rd time ever!

THE GOOD: I'm finally getting more comfortable in general with trying to figure out my actual strength and how to really push myself to finish out sets.

THE BAD: I couldn't finish my back squats this time because my shoulders wouldn't open enough :\ this is something I mentioned last year, but I'm a little bummed I probably have to cut back squats out of my lifts in order to keep from hurting my shoulders or worse. Does anyone have suggestions for a good alternative? I'm also doing leg presses on a machine.

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2018, 12:42:17 PM »
THE BAD: I couldn't finish my back squats this time because my shoulders wouldn't open enough :\ this is something I mentioned last year, but I'm a little bummed I probably have to cut back squats out of my lifts in order to keep from hurting my shoulders or worse. Does anyone have suggestions for a good alternative? I'm also doing leg presses on a machine.

There's this:

https://www.davedraper.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=b70f14811a9e38e6d452e01646ab98f9&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DDI&Product_Code=QPD-TTS&Category_Code=TOP

... which is specifically designed to let you do back squats when you have shoulder mobility issues. It is pricy at $139 but you may be able to find a used one on eBay.

You could also do front squats.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2018, 01:39:17 PM »
Weekly check-in:Last Monday I went for a great hard run (hard for me). Felt wonderful. Knew I was gonna be sore the next day.

Monday night, woke up with chills. And thus began The Cold From Hell.

I'm now in recovery mode -- today is my first day back to work -- and have some seriously diminished lung capacity. Running and strength training are going to go on the back burner for a bit until I get my lungs back into enough shape just for two daily walks and some super gentle yoga.

In the meantime, awesome to see everyone getting some sweet sweet workouts in. :)

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #210 on: March 05, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
I went to lift weights for the 3rd time ever!

THE GOOD: I'm finally getting more comfortable in general with trying to figure out my actual strength and how to really push myself to finish out sets.

I agree with @e34bb098 -- front squats are a good alternative.  You can also do goblet squats or heavy barbell walking lunges.  I'd suggest that over machines. 

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
thank you @e34bb098 and @TX2RVA! I will try some front squats if I can't get my shoulders more open. The top squat contraption is a bit intimidating for me as this is literally the third time I've touched a barbell so far. Front squats next time!

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2018, 03:56:07 PM »
thank you @e34bb098 and @TX2RVA! I will try some front squats if I can't get my shoulders more open. The top squat contraption is a bit intimidating for me as this is literally the third time I've touched a barbell so far. Front squats next time!

You may want to check out some YouTube videos from Alan Thrall.  He's a strength coach who breaks down mechanics for the squat in crazy detail, with workarounds for common issues.  (Which lack of shoulder flexibility is.)

Among other things, if you're doing a low bar squat (bar across your deltoids), you could try a high bar squat (bar across your trapezius, at the base of your neck).  It's a good middle ground between low bar and front, as far as the muscle chains it works, and -- relevant to your issue -- it's a lot easier to get your hands on the bar if your shoulder flexibility isn't there yet.

And just stretch your shoulders out of course. :)

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #213 on: March 05, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »
  • @e34bb098

• Squat 1RM@335lbs
    • Overhead Press 1RM@165lbs
    • Deadlift 1RM@380lbs
    • Bench Press 1RM@255lbs
    • Pendlay Row 1RM@215lbs

Minor correction due to my own lack of clarity:  My goals are not 1RMs.  For the deadlift, it's 1x5.  For everything else, 3x5.  Please and thank you.

Sunday was:
Squat 3x5 @ 250#
OH Press 3x5 @ 105#
Deadlift 1x5 @ 215#

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2018, 06:15:13 AM »
I'm in (late) this year, after falling off a cliff halfway through last year. One of my goals last year was <15% BF, and I got close, but even at 150 lbs., I was still at 15.2% or something. Crazy. Anyway, I proceeded to gain almost 25 lbs. from that point to the first of this year, and I'm back at 19% BF.

Another thing is I counted my workouts from last year, and between strength and cardio, I did 183. So to the person who claimed you just have to do 100 workouts this year, I would adjust it to 25 workouts per quarter, or two a week, because stopping halfway through doesn't work out so well.

Here are this year's goals (@jordanread, can you please add me):

- Don't die (rule #1 in our house)
 - Train for 5k and run 2 5k races by 7/15
 - Target race time: 25:59
 - Strength training 1-2 times per week on days I'm not running
 - Reduce BF % to 16% by 7/15
 - Make a plan for staying on track through summer vacation and beyond

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: March 06, 2018, 10:51:33 AM »

You may want to check out some YouTube videos from Alan Thrall.  He's a strength coach who breaks down mechanics for the squat in crazy detail, with workarounds for common issues.  (Which lack of shoulder flexibility is.)

Among other things, if you're doing a low bar squat (bar across your deltoids), you could try a high bar squat (bar across your trapezius, at the base of your neck).  It's a good middle ground between low bar and front, as far as the muscle chains it works, and -- relevant to your issue -- it's a lot easier to get your hands on the bar if your shoulder flexibility isn't there yet.

And just stretch your shoulders out of course. :)

Haha - it took some work to even be able to set the bar on my traps on good days!

THANK YOU for the rec. I will check out the videos!

Old Ball Coach

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: March 06, 2018, 04:19:00 PM »
New to this forum and this post.

I'm definitely in for this.

I'm a teacher/football coach by trade, so working out just comes with the territory. That being said, I'm not getting any younger so I have some goals I'd like to get back to before I'm not in the shape to achieve them anymore.

Goals:
Bodyweight - under 205 lbs.
Bodyfat - under 18%
DB Bench - 100 LB DBs for 4 sets of 8
Pull-ups - Bodyweight 5 sets of 10
Walking Lunges - 135 LBS for 4 sets of 8
Cardio - 3 runs/week (once the snow melts)

leverage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »
I'm in for this! My current numbers:

• BF: 24%
  • Deadlift: 280lb (1x5)
  • Squat: 230lb (3x5)
  • Overhead Press: 90lb (3x5)
  • Bench Press: 120lb (3x5)

Goals for the year:

• BF: 16%
  • Deadlift: 375lb (1x5)
  • Squat: 300lb (3x5)
  • Overhead Press: 130lb (3x5)
  • Bench Press: 200lb (3x5)

I've only been lifting for about 7 months, so trying to keep these goals relatively modest.

I've resolved to not care at all about my body weight, instead looking only at BF%. I'm following a mostly keto diet.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
I see some of you have body fat percentages goals. How do you measure it? I have a bathroom scale that measures it but it shows a big variation of results depending on the age bracket I set, which looks really imprecise. Is there a DIY way of measuring BF that doesn't involve purchases?

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2018, 12:34:28 PM »
I use one of the methods in the Resources post:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/strength-fitness-2018/msg1831233/#msg1831233

specifically "measure body fat without calipers"
https://www.livestrong.com/article/90931-measure-body-fat-percentages-calipers/

So, a scale and a tape measure (plus calculator, aka Google Sheets on my phone)

Herk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #220 on: March 07, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »
@Patrik

Consistently count calories
Perform short yoga program daily
Weightlifting program >= 2x/week
>=2 hikes/month
>=1 long yoga program/week

Time for an update.
I changed my forum handle, this is me!
Counting calories got boring real fast. I did about 2 weeks and after that I sort of have a feel for how much I should eat. I also got a free membership with weight watchers from my work, so I use that sometimes to keep track.

Short yoga program is down to 3 times per week (all days that I don't go to the gym or do longer yoga)
Long yoga program is 1/week
I've done at least two hikes per month (actually 6 hikes since my first post)
Strength program is up to 3 times per week

Results:
Down 6.1 kilos since January 10th.
Energy levels up a lot.
I am sloooowly getting more flexible.
Strength wise, I am advancing very slowly with adding weight, just focusing on warming up and doing everything with proper technique. I have done that mistake before, to lift to heavy to fast and then I get hurt or injured because of bad technique and to much weight.
All in all, quite pleased were I'm at this far, but I have a long way to go still.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »
Haven’t been checking in much due to frustration with knee, which killed my original back squat goal and continues to limit me to more like 3 workouts a week (I hate it when my “no macho injuries” goal conflicts with my “work out at least 4x/week” goal).

But I finally do have some good news to report:  I managed five “real” push-ups today, which is a personal record by about four.  So it’s nice to see some progress, at least.

I also still need the pull-up bar, as DH failed to pick it up for me for my birthday.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #222 on: March 08, 2018, 07:52:34 AM »
I use one of the methods in the Resources post:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/strength-fitness-2018/msg1831233/#msg1831233

specifically "measure body fat without calipers"
https://www.livestrong.com/article/90931-measure-body-fat-percentages-calipers/

So, a scale and a tape measure (plus calculator, aka Google Sheets on my phone)

Thanks

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #223 on: March 08, 2018, 09:36:59 AM »
This morning:

Squat 3x5 @ 260# (PR!)
Bench Press 3x5 @ 150#
Row 3x5 @ 135#

Previously, I always seemed to stall out around 250# on the squat.  Then I'd deload 10% and work my way back up.  But for whatever reason this morning, 260# didn't even feel that difficult.  Mental focus?  Eating more calories?  Proper alignment of the stars?  Whatever, I'll take it.  Going to try for 265# on Sunday.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #224 on: March 09, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »
I ran a full 5k, 3.12 miles, this morning. I think this is the furthest I have ever run without stopping in my life!

I've also been going to my boot camp class regularly, 2x per week. I haven't been very good about getting to yoga, but I'm going today and hoping to go tomorrow. I can't believe I ran for 3+ miles! It was a reasonably respectable 37 minutes; much better than I would have thought I could do so soon when I just started running a few weeks ago. :)

jordanread

« Reply #225 on: March 10, 2018, 05:25:28 PM »
Way to go everyone. I've got everyone new added and names and goals updated. I am in the midst of a forum break, so I won't be updating as quickly as usual, but I'll jump in here at least every 2 weeks if a new comment has come in.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »
I ran a full 5k, 3.12 miles, this morning. I think this is the furthest I have ever run without stopping in my life!

I've also been going to my boot camp class regularly, 2x per week. I haven't been very good about getting to yoga, but I'm going today and hoping to go tomorrow. I can't believe I ran for 3+ miles! It was a reasonably respectable 37 minutes; much better than I would have thought I could do so soon when I just started running a few weeks ago. :)

Nice! You have set an ambitious goal indeed of a half-marathon if you have never run 5k before. It looks like you are well on the way. Are you following a graduated training program to increase your mileage?

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
This morning:

Squat 3x5 @ 265# (PR!)
Overhead press 3x5 @ 110#
Deadlift 1x5 @ 235
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:50:50 AM by e34bb098 »

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #228 on: March 12, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »
I'm still not back into gear yet after my sickness -- last week was hardcore recovery time. This week, I'm planning to get my walks back in order and to re-start yoga; I may also work on getting the bodyweight program going again. Started today with a nice long walk at least, and got some good walking in yesterday, top.

The cough is, unfortunately, still very much there, and I don't think it'd be good to start up running again until it's gone -- I already find it difficult to go on walks and not break down into bad coughing fits. I'm hoping it clears up over the next week so that I don't need to go to the doctor for an inhaler or anything. >.>

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: March 12, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »
@jordanread I never solidified my 'goals' so here are a few to be added next time you are on please (and enjoy the break!)

-Yoga 4-5 times/week
-Half-m in June (finishing healthy, no time goal)
-Walk/Hike/Jog 3 x/week

I do a home practice so yoga is my strength component..chataranga helps my shoulders.  I do have a physical job as well, so am moving around a lot)

Might try to add more traditional gym workout for strength if the new gym beside my house offers a deal once they open :)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »
Ran a super slow 7 miles yesterday (took the dog, there were several pit stops plus some bonus stops for sniffing), but! The sun was shining for the first time in what felt like forever and I saw a crocus in bloom. Half marathon training is starting to ramp up and as an after work runner, I'm excited for the extra hour of daylight (and hopefully more sunshine) in the evenings. Anyone else excited for a little more evening daylight?

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: March 12, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »
Nice! You have set an ambitious goal indeed of a half-marathon if you have never run 5k before. It looks like you are well on the way. Are you following a graduated training program to increase your mileage?

Thank you for your encouragement! I have several friends who are pretty hardcore runners/ironman athletes (plus my brother who does legit 100 mile ultras) so I've been very fortunate to have a lot of good advice. When I signed up last month I built up a combo training plan using Couch to 5K for the first few weeks since we're running a 5k this Sunday, and then Hal Higdon's half plan for novices starting next Monday. From what I've read, the Hal Higdon plan assumes being capable of running 3 miles 3 times per week before beginning. I'm close. I went out a few weeks ago to see what I could do and was already 3 weeks ahead of the Couch to 5k plan, thanks to the boot camp class and yoga I already did.

I actually ran 3.5 miles yesterday in 40 minutes and felt surprisingly good; I don't seem to be suffering from any ill effects today. I made it to yoga Friday and it felt SO good after the running.

Half marathon training is starting to ramp up and as an after work runner, I'm excited for the extra hour of daylight (and hopefully more sunshine) in the evenings. Anyone else excited for a little more evening daylight?

I am the opposite; I run before work and I am really bummed about getting up in the dark. I may switch to running after work for a couple weeks until it gets light earlier. I have worked super hard the past month to train myself to get up early and run before work as I am naturally NOT a morning person at all. It really sucks to have DST come along and mess with my progress! I'm glad you get to enjoy your extra light in the evening though. When is your half? Mine is in June. :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #232 on: March 12, 2018, 12:17:01 PM »
Good luck and have fun at your 5k this weekend FireHiker!  Great job.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: March 12, 2018, 02:38:39 PM »

Thank you! I feel pretty good about it! We're running it with our kids though, who are 6 and 8. The 8 year old should be fine but I have my concerns about the 6 year old. At least I no longer have to worry about being the weak link and getting my butt kicked by my 6 year old, thanks to my recent hard work. :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #234 on: March 12, 2018, 05:50:54 PM »

Thank you! I feel pretty good about it! We're running it with our kids though, who are 6 and 8. The 8 year old should be fine but I have my concerns about the 6 year old. At least I no longer have to worry about being the weak link and getting my butt kicked by my 6 year old, thanks to my recent hard work. :)

Running with kids is fantastic!  Love it.  That's actually what I asked for (and got) for my birthday a few weeks ago -- a family run.  :)

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
  • Paid to optimize. Love not to.
« Reply #235 on: March 12, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »
Update time..

Have my first half-marathon on April 7th.  Got the mileage up to about 31-32 miles/week at the moment and have been able to knock out some 10-12 milers at a decent clip.  Assuming no overuse injuries I'm feeling pretty good about this race in ~3 weeks. 

After that I am part of an ultra team for a Ragnar in Mid-May.  Lots of races coming up in the next couple months. 

Other than that, keeping pretty consistent with doing core and lower back work and doing yoga at least 1/week along with putting in the miles. 

Will need to sign up for an actual 5K at some point in time here if I want to achieve my goal time.

Keep after it everyone, seeing all of the work is motivational!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2018, 06:39:29 AM »
I am the opposite; I run before work and I am really bummed about getting up in the dark. I may switch to running after work for a couple weeks until it gets light earlier. I have worked super hard the past month to train myself to get up early and run before work as I am naturally NOT a morning person at all. It really sucks to have DST come along and mess with my progress! I'm glad you get to enjoy your extra light in the evening though. When is your half? Mine is in June. :)

You know, I actually am a morning person... but I've never managed to make myself a morning runner. I do like yoga first thing in the morning though! I'm running the Fargo half marathon in mid-May. Good luck with your 5K this weekend!

Update time..

Have my first half-marathon on April 7th.  Got the mileage up to about 31-32 miles/week at the moment and have been able to knock out some 10-12 milers at a decent clip.  Assuming no overuse injuries I'm feeling pretty good about this race in ~3 weeks. 

After that I am part of an ultra team for a Ragnar in Mid-May.  Lots of races coming up in the next couple months. 

Good luck on your upcoming half too!I've always wanted to join a Ragnar team, but haven't managed to convince a group of my running friends to do it yet!

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #237 on: March 13, 2018, 07:51:52 AM »
This morning:

Squats 3x5 @ 270#
Bench press 3x5 @ 155#
Row 3x5 @ 140#

Another squat PR. Onward and upward.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »
Well, I ran 3.5 miles Sunday and 3 miles this morning! I was lucky to find a very narrow window between rain showers. I took the kids for a run last night, and the 8 year old did 2 miles with me (slow because he's run too quickly then get tired and walk, rinse, repeat) but the 6 year old got tired after just a couple minutes. I was feeling pretty concerned about our race Sunday, but today was a "fun run" at school and both kids did 1.5 miles in their allotted 15 minutes. I think that she'll be just fine with adrenaline Sunday, thank goodness.

I also went to boot camp yesterday. I feel good; I think I'm going to keep working on this fitness thing.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2018, 03:43:22 PM »
Inspiring work everybody!

I just went for a run on a treadmill...first time in ages and my face is still cooling off almost an hour later :)
Very minimal but my body isn't used to cardio besides one weekly XC ski so I need to work on this..did 3.5km in 30 min, including some hills.

Bought a gym pass for the month since the outside weather is too unpredictable and I signed up for a half-marathon in 12 weeks. It'll be my first one in 8 years (haven't run for a long time following a back injury)..I will run 3x/week and build up with time vs. miles. This is what I did previously and it worked very well for me. Finishing is the goal, I am a super slow runner!

Have been doing small yoga sessions daily and overall feeling good.

Old Ball Coach

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2018, 07:31:15 AM »
Goals:
Bodyweight - under 205 lbs.
Bodyfat - under 18%
DB Bench - 100 LB DBs for 4 sets of 8
Pull-ups - Bodyweight 5 sets of 10
Walking Lunges - 135 LBS for 4 sets of 8
Cardio - 3 runs/week (once the snow melts)

Progress
Bodyweight - 224
Bodyfat - 26%
DB Bench - 80 LB DBs for 4 sets of 8
Pull-ups - 10, 8, 6, 4, 3
Walking Lunges - Still in recovery
Cardio - Still mud and snow

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #241 on: March 15, 2018, 08:36:26 AM »
This morning:

Squats 3x5 @ 275#
Overhead press 3x5 @ 115#
Deadlift 1x5 @ 240#

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2018, 06:51:42 AM »
March 5-11

I fell short on my 25 mi. per week goal due to traveling. I got in 23 miles. There is only so much treadmill running I can do in a hotel fitness center. Plus the training I was attending was 13 hours straight - ugh never again. 

This week:

I'm at 8.5 miles.  I plan to run 7.5 miles on Saturday and 14 miles on Sunday.  I've never run that far before and I've never run double digit distances alone.  I'm just going to take it nice and slow -- it is all about time on my feet. 

Being out of town plus the never ending cold weather is killing my mojo! It looks like the weather will start to warm up in 7-10 days.  I'm a morning runner and I'd be happy with low temps in the 40s.  Is that too much to ask?  It is March in Virginia not Upstate NY, sheesh! My Texas roots always come out this time of year -- where is the warmth!?!

I had an awful run on Wednesday -- well it didn't feel awful at the time but my heart rate was way too high when I checked Strava.  I'm assuming I was severely dehydrated. It is hard for me to drink enough water when I'm cold. Must. Do. Better.

Eh, sorry this has been such a whinny update. 

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #243 on: March 16, 2018, 06:58:27 AM »
Heart rate could be helped by experimenting adding salt and/or potassium to your water as well. I notice my heart rate getting wonky if I’m short on potassium.

e34bb098

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #244 on: March 18, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »
This morning:

Squats 3x5 @ 280#
Bench press 3x5 @ 160#
Row 3x5 @ 145#

Another squat PR. Getting hard.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: March 18, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
Decided to buy a gym pass since the weather is still up & down around these parts.
Actually a nice routine to go early and then follow with yoga at home..feeling accomplished by 9am

Yesterday ran 2.9 miles in 32 minutes & finished a 30 day online Yoga-challenge

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #246 on: March 18, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
23 miles on the bike today, beautiful weather (55 and sunny). Back to colder days in the extended forecast but enjoying it while I can :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #247 on: March 18, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »
Finally got a run in; its been 5 weeks of busy-ness to sell my condo and that took up my spare time. 2 miles.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »
We ran a 5k with our kids (6 and 8) yesterday and it was great! It was the very first ever organized run for any of us and it was a lot of fun. We finished in 41:28, including the time we had to wait at the aid station while the six year old used the bathroom. The best part is that my husband and I felt great, like we could have gone further or faster (or both). It didn't even feel like a major workout or anything. I got up this morning and ran 4 miles, my longest ever up from 3.5 a week ago. My brother convinced me to start using Strava to track (he's a legitimate ultra marathoner) so today was my first run tracked using Strava. I can tell it's for "real" athletes because it only records to the tenth instead of the hundredth of a mile. I thought it would never tick over off of 3.9!

I feel really fantastic today; I think the half in June is actually feasible. I do need to get back to working yoga classes into my schedule, but I have been doing some yoga at home at least on run days.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2018, 11:45:27 AM »
Heart rate could be helped by experimenting adding salt and/or potassium to your water as well. I notice my heart rate getting wonky if I’m short on potassium.

@HarbingerofBunnies -- Thank you for this advice!  I have been getting some muscle cramps which is also a sign.  I did use the Skratch powder after my 14 miles yesterday.  I need to do it after all runs longer than an hour. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!