Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2018  (Read 6362 times)

flan

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2018
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2018, 06:46:25 PM »
New Goal:  Not die during the half marathon I signed up for at the end of April.

I think you'll be able to cross this one off ;)

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2018, 07:55:30 PM »
New Goal:  Not die during the half marathon I signed up for at the end of April.

I think you'll be able to cross this one off ;)
Agreed! As long as you show up that is! And 4 hours to complete 13.1 miles would be an 18 minute mile, that is a comfortable walking pace. You will just need enough endurance and conditioning to last the whole distance and you'll be fine!

HarbingerofBunnies

• Walrus Stache
  • Homeschooling and homestesding since 2013
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2018, 05:00:27 AM »
@FireHiker why is there a permit? Is that because thereís more demand than trail capacity or something? Iíve never heard of hikes like that.
*Presenting at CM*TO 2018*

Buntastic Gardens here in the journals. Same name on Facebook (more pictures, less money details there). Also write some at buntasticgardens.wordpress.com and monthly at NWEdible.com

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2018, 10:30:30 AM »
@FireHiker why is there a permit? Is that because thereís more demand than trail capacity or something? Iíve never heard of hikes like that.

There is massive demand relative to trail capacity, yes. They limit single day trips to 100 people per day, and overnight backpacking to 60 per day. Some of the dates last year were 600-1000+ permit requests (admittedly those higher numbers are on the weekend days). There was not a single overnight day within our desired timeframe where the permits requested didn't exceed capacity. We carefully picked our dates based on last year's statistics and made sure to fill in all 15 alternates, no weekends at all. I'm cautiously optimistic, and a bit scared, that we're actually going to get a permit.

It's actually pretty common in California to need permits for hiking, especially within a national park (Mt. Whitney is in Sequoia), but most hikes it isn't a big deal to get them. Mt. Whitney, Half Dome, John Muir Trail are all hard to get though. There's often a portion that are available for day of walk-ins also.

On my fitness progress: I went to my usual 60 minute boot camp class yesterday AND woke up early (NOT a morning person) to get in 2 miles this morning. I pieced together a combo training plan last night, using Couch to 5K and Hal Higdon's half marathon plan. I'm actually almost two weeks ahead of where I thought I was conditioning-wise just from my regular boot camp class. I ran 18 minutes (1.5 miles), walked 2 minutes, ran 3, walked 2, for a total of 2 miles. The couch to 5k for today was run 6 minutes, walk 3 minutes, 3 times. I'm feeling like it's a little more doable now than I thought originally. :)

HarbingerofBunnies

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2018, 10:38:48 AM »
Wow, thatís so different from hiking in my area.

Buntastic Gardens here in the journals. Same name on Facebook (more pictures, less money details there). Also write some at buntasticgardens.wordpress.com and monthly at NWEdible.com

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
@Eric222 and @FireHiker , I've got you added.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2018!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

CM*TO

FireHiker

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2018, 01:45:36 PM »
Wow, thatís so different from hiking in my area.

Take a look some time at pictures of hiking Half Dome before and after the permit cap was put into place. It was super crowded and dangerous before. I haven't done it yet, but it's on the list. It's a pain in the butt though; really hoping our Whitney permit comes through!

Thanks for the add, @jordanread :)

diapasoun

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2018, 04:24:19 PM »
If it's not too late, I'd like to join this gauntlet.

I've been various levels of fit throughout my life, usually somewhere between "couch potato" and "intermediate." I'm  currently much closer to couch potato than to intermediate fitness right now, and I'd like to make some improvements. I am currently stiffer than a 2x4, have the endurance of a pug, and can at least successfully lift my tea mug to my mouth. ;) I miss how I felt when I was in good shape, like I could take on the world by doing a back bend.

I want to focus on three main areas: cardio, strength, and flexibility. At the moment, my only really concrete goals are to have better cardio, strength, and flexibility at the end of the year than at the beginning! My current strategy (undoubtedly to be updated) is to work towards the following:

1. Be able to touch floor flat-handed with straight legs.

2. Be able to walk 10 miles in a day without feeling sore.
3. Be able to run 30 minutes straight without feeling like death.

4. Figure out a GOOD bodyweight/at home strength training system that I can do two or three times a week.

I have a gym membership that's currently on hold; I can't stand using cardio machines at the gym (I get SO BORED) and although I really enjoy weightlifting, I wasn't going regularly enough for the cost to be worth it. I think I need to let this membership lapse and focus on doing bodyweight exercises at home, where I can just fling myself around in my pajamas, and then consider getting a membership at a (cheaper) gym later in the year if needed. We'll see about that, though.

HarbingerofBunnies

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2018, 04:32:07 PM »
@diapasoun

Your #1 is something I could never, ever do.

For your #4 look at getting a kettlebell. Some folks say they really benefit from some initial in person coaching on form but itís a really versatile tool. Body weight stuff can be great too, so many programs for that out there.

Not sure what my chiro will clear me to do once Iím past the initial healing stages. I miss resistance training, though I do get a decent amount of it everyday carrying feed and water for my animals around.

diapasoun

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2018, 04:49:32 PM »
@diapasoun

Your #1 is something I could never, ever do.

For your #4 look at getting a kettlebell. Some folks say they really benefit from some initial in person coaching on form but itís a really versatile tool. Body weight stuff can be great too, so many programs for that out there.

Not sure what my chiro will clear me to do once Iím past the initial healing stages. I miss resistance training, though I do get a decent amount of it everyday carrying feed and water for my animals around.

I've been able to do the flat-handed floor touch before. Right now, I'm at the "I can touch my toes mostly straight legged if I do five minutes of warmup yoga first" stage. So, I know it's possible, it'll just require some real work. Luckily it's work that I can do and that doesn't take a lot of time -- just consistency.

I've thought about kettlebells before. I think I'm going to start out with bodyweight, because I'm so weak right now that I don't want to accidentally bone myself over and get an injury. After that, though... kettlebells are a thing I will be looking at.

Forever Wednesday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2018, 03:28:43 AM »
Hah, I am all in. I'm basically looking to bulk up and lose some belly fat.

SHORT TERM GOAL:

Weight: 90 Kg
Fat %:  15%

CURRENT:

Weight: ~85 Kg
Fat %: ~19%

DIET:

I'm currently experimenting with a low carb / Ketogenic. My protein intake should definitely be high enough for muscle growth (I eat 4 eggs a day and plenty of meat), but I'm not sure if I may be lacking other essential dietary components to stimulate this. I don't track calorie intake and eat when I'm hungry.

WORK OUT ROUTINE:

This is where I have the most room for improvement. I reserve Monday and Friday evenings as "gym" days, but I've skipped a handful of these due to laziness or forgetting my gym gear. So, actually showing up and putting in the hours is problem #1.

If I do turn up, I've been using strength training machines and haven't yet had the balls to ask someone how to use the free weights. I think this is key as exercising entire muscle groups via natural movements (pull-ups, squats, deadlifts, etc.) must surely stimulate more overall growth and fat burning compared to isolated movements. So problem #2 is finding someone to show me the ropes so I don't make an ass out of myself. ;)

NEXT STEPS:

1) Register at a gym that's much closer to my apartment
2) Reach out to a gym instructor that can show me the ropes

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2018, 09:47:31 AM »
@diapasoun and @Forever Wednesday , I've got you both added. Welcome to the gauntlet!!
Get in shape in 2018!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

CM*TO

diapasoun

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2018, 09:51:06 AM »
@diapasoun and @Forever Wednesday , I've got you both added. Welcome to the gauntlet!!

You made my goals sound so much fancier. I like this. :)

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »

You made my goals sound so much fancier. I like this. :)

Welcome!! I am a wordsmith a bit, and goals reflect that. Shit, Mirror Lust is still my favorite.
Get in shape in 2018!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

CM*TO

jmwagner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2018, 11:45:44 PM »
I signed up for my solo 5k to meet my goal. It's March 17. I have never run one on my own so this will give me some sort of baseline.

Good luck Mongoose! Since you've completed a 7K you obviously have the baseline to do a 5K.  Just make sure you think positive thoughts and do your best.  :)

jmwagner5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2018, 11:50:12 PM »
Is there a benefit to building in rest days from cardio like there is with resistance training, or should I only rest if I feel like my body needs a break?

There is definitely a need to give your body a break from cardio if you are doing the same type of cardio all of the time.  Running in particular can be particularly stressful on the joints with repetition over time.  My personal philosophy is to do 2 or 3 days in a row and then add in a day off from running.  This can be a complete day off from cardio work or doing some cross training like biking or swimming. 

I have found that taking that rest day allows me to have better runs in those 2 or 3 day windows.  I get far more out of those chunks of workouts because I have had a chance to recover from a particularly onerous set of workouts.  YMMV but I recommend taking time off from the perspective of overall health and also for fitness gains. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2018, 01:30:30 PM »
Okay, a bit of an update.

I am very pleased to say that I feel that my health/fitness "reset" that I initiated at the start of the year has been a success thus far. A month of fairly intense cardio work, with some strength training mixed in has me feeling that I am well on the path of setting myself up to maintain a fairly high baseline of fitness for 2018.

Having developed a "scale fixation" in the past (during my post-FIRE 50 pound weight loss) and realizing that it's not a particularly healthy thing for me, I hesitate to focus on my weight numbers much...I much prefer to focus on how I FEEL existing within this body of mine. However, as one of my goals is reaching a BF% number, there is some usefulness in knowing what my weight is in terms of keeping track of my body composition between fat reduction and (hopefully) some modest muscle/strength gains. Good news on that score. My weight has been stable at around 187 pounds, while my BF% has slowly, but steadily been decreasing. As best as I can determine with the less than ideal suprailiac skinfold caliper method, my BF% is around 12%. This feels like a very sustainable level of "leanness" and has me questioning whether or not 10% is even worth shooting for. I'll likely just keep on as I am, mindfully attentive to diet and exercise and see if I hit that at some point...but I'm definitely not going to obsess about it. The real takeaway here is that while I have been getting leaner my weight has stayed constant...which means I have been successful in putting on some muscle mass. While I'm not interest in having MOAR MUSCLEZ!, some good, usable strength that will help me in my gardening and paddling hobbies would be a great thing. So far so good.

I am currently at our place in Baja, where my DW and I have ramped up our walking and running. There are options for me to sign up for a gym here at a reasonable price, but I'm okay to take a break from weights while I'm here...I'll resume when I head back North.

And while we were here...my DW did THIS.

Oh....might as well include a snap shot of what our Baja exercise regimen looks like....less cycling and weights, with more running and (mostly beach) walking.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 01:33:37 PM by Jon_Snow »

diapasoun

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2018, 08:53:09 AM »
I've stuck to my running schedule the past two weeks, and have been doing some quick yoga flows at home for flexibility. I've also gotten some good walks in. I think I'll probably hit the "10 miles without soreness" goal first, which will be nice - I love walking.

Still thinking about effective home strength workouts.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2018, 05:05:23 PM »
Iíve been dealing with sleep issues in January (and December) and wrist issues in February.   Beat sleep issues (again) and working on wrist/elbow that was weak from previous injury, typing job, and not continuing rehab (as prehab) and slacking on warmups. 

Not getting down on myself this time though and still working outómainly doing ring pull-ups (super easy on joints) and lower body stuff, and rehabbing wrist.  Also had nice vacation hiking around Death Valley/Alabama Hills (which are in California for some reason). 

@diapasoun you should check out:
http://antranik.org/toe-touching-routine/

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

Donít skimp on the warmups...especially wrists. 

More wrist and general tendinitis stuff if anyone is interested:
https://gmb.io/wrists/

http://stevenlow.org/overcoming-tendonitis/

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2018, 05:35:19 PM »
Between @lhamo and @Eric222 discussing running things in a journal, and now @2300 posting some nice specific resources mean I have some work to do on the resource post. Thanks all.
Get in shape in 2018!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

CM*TO

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2018, 06:27:25 PM »
Confession time!  I did not run my 2 miles this week.  Have been packing up the condo to sell.  Last week that meant packing up all the crap in time so the painter could get to all the walls.  So all free time was devoted to that. 

Could have run on Saturday, but I visited Mom instead.  She lives 3 hours away, and I had a 24-hour window for the visit & already 6 hours are devoted to driving & 8 to sleeping.  Wanted to maximize time with her, and she does not run. 

On the plus side, we did go for a 2 mile brisk walk.  And I live on the 3rd floor with no elevator, so have been doing a lot of stair climbing to move the aforementioned crap to storage.  So at least I didn't blow off my run to sit on the couch.  So while I didn't meet my running goal, I was able to salvage the week and do some activity.  I will run next week.

Still doing pushups, though.
A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Jornal is now here

diapasoun

• Stubble
« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2018, 09:33:51 AM »
Thanks @2300! I'm looking through these now...

I did all my cardio this last week, and some decent amounts of yoga flows -- still only just touching my toe tips at the end of a short flow, but hey, at least I'm there and not barely at the tops of my arches, like I've been before. I also got in over 10 miles of walking on Sunday, with no soreness yesterday, so I'm counting that as a preliminary success. The end goal is to do 10 miles in one go -- this time was only about 7.5 miles in one go, with the rest coming throughout the day.

I did the long walk with a friend, and I'm thinking that I need to find some way to make sure I don't get bored when I'm trying to do these long walks by myself. I don't like the idea of walking with headphones in, unfortunately, so this may just be a ~mindfulness~ exercise as well.

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »
Last week I:

- ran 31.5 miles surpassing my goal of 25 miles for the week. 

- did 3 full body strength training sessions and 4 runs

- This week I will add a 5th running day (Wednesday) to the mix.  I haven't decided if I'm going to do a two-a-day or run before lifting.  I'm up against the clock in the mornings it would probably be best to run after work but I don't know if I trust myself to get out there.  It will be warm out so that is a plus.  I'll figure it out in the morning.

I need to test my pull-ups and dips at the gym this week. 

hudsoncat

• Stubble
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2018, 01:07:24 PM »
I've been inconsistent with any workout not called "running" so far this month, but I am happy to say that I think the pool and I are friends again. Some long time readers know that I have a love/hate relationship with swimming, but I keep trying because all my best running times have also coincided with consistent pool time.  I also signed up for a 100 mile cycle ride in July... You know, never done an organized ride, might as well start with a century!

@diapasoun: look into a local running/walking club. My running club is super welcoming to walkers. We have long runs every weekend where you might not be doing the entire workout with others, but the route overlaps and crosses itself enough that you frequently get a nice boost from seeing others. I find that even when there is no one my pace on any given day, crossing paths with other folks to share a "good job" and a high five helps keep boredom at bay and gives me something to look forward if its a run that isn't going well.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: Today at 04:49:59 PM »
It's great to see everyone progressing here - I enjoy reading about the wonderful diversity in terms of goals and the different methods in terms of diet and forms of exercise used to hit these benchmarks. There are so many great resources out there for those of us on this journey....but for me it really can be boiled down to EAT WELL AND MOVE (preferably a lot). :)

I am just a few days into a slightly revised strategy. For about a month, at the start of the year, partially because of a "hair on fire" desire to lose some alarming post holiday bloat, I hit the cardio very hard. I was generally doing 1 hour of hard cardio (10% incline treadmill walking, a bit of treadmill running, and Lifefitness stationary bike @ resistance level 15) 5 days a week. On a Monday, Wednesday, Friday I would also throw in an hour of weight training. Not particularly heavy lifting, more emphasis on higher reps and careful form. I have been pleasantly surprised that there have been noticeable strength gains even though that hasn't been a priority.

What I am doing now, and will do until early April (when I head to Baja one more time) is carry on with my hour of cardio work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on MWF strength training days I'm going to cut the cardio down to 15 or 30 minutes at a lesser intensity than I have been doing - essentially just a warm up before lifting some heavy things. :) I am going to try to slowly increase the weight I am lifting and probably lift for 1.5 hours per session. Still 2 hour gym sessions on MWF, but more time lifting than walking, running, or cycling. Not sure I have mentioned this before, but my gym is literally a block away and I can walk there in 5 minutes. I suspect that this fact has contributed greatly to my success in making this routine "stick" - for quite a few years now.

I cannot wait for the arrival of the amazing PNW Summer when I can leap into all my favourite outdoor activities and feel great in doing so.

Keep on going everyone!