Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172656 times)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #750 on: July 03, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »
I know it's time for an update with all of the metrics associated with it. I may wind up delaying until this weekend. I've been slacking this last quarter, and to be honest, I'm a bit worried about seeing the numbers. However, I have implemented a new plan (ish). My workouts are boring. Slow reps, those aren't any fun. And I'm not yet strong enough to do the running around the lake and working out thing (which is how I envision things going). So I'm in the process of developing a flow, that incorporates my workouts, but is bigger than that. Warm up, stretching, working out, drinking coffee...I think that all of this will be involved. My better half always says she wakes up halfway through the workout videos she does daily, but I can't do it. I need to sneak up on the day. Therefore, I will try to incorporate that sneaking into a nice habit. I'll let you all know how it goes, and we'll see how my body composition has changed by this weekend.

You guys are all kicking ass!! Don't forget that.
For me Jordan. I have to wake up 10-15 minutes earlier than I want to, to get a good relaxing cup of coffee in (timer set the night before so I just grab a cup on my way through the kitchen) before I drag my butt out to the garage and train. If I just wake up and go out to the garage i'm about 50% on if I am going to actually do it. Something about sitting around with a cup of coffee collecting my thoughts gets me ready. I also really enjoy this time to myself to just sit around with my own thoughts. I prefer to sit out on our back deck while doing this too. as long as the weather is tolerable. I sometimes miss my morning workouts due to life things and try and catch them up in the evenings. I hate having to do this. There are always a million other things to do and I feel like it takes away from family time which is my most valuable time.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #751 on: July 03, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »
Tried to post a few times and my post keeps getting eaten.

I've  finished 3 triathlons this season so far. My goal is to do 5. However, I have a lot of traveling coming up and start a new job in about 3 weeks. I've upped my training distances so that I could probably do an Olympic distance tri at the end of the season (September or October). Not sure if I want to put myself through that though. I'm doing a "virtual" ironman at the moment, which I am not counting towards my 5 tri total. It can be done in segments over 3 months. I'm trying to knock it out in a week. The swim only took two visits to the pool, biking I believe is done after today's 40 miler, and run is a PITA but I did 6 miles yesterday and will do another tomorrow and I think I'll be able to wrap it up by this coming Friday.

Did not lose weight this season - which overall is probably a good thing. A little squisher around the stomach, but legs and arms are stronger. I'm not getting to the pool enough to keep up my  water-feel (don't know how to explain it - but the ability to cut through the water instinctively - which seems to come w/ me putting in at least 3 miles per week).

Last triathlon SUCKED due to massive numbers of jellyfish - I wore leggings and shirt and lots of Vaseline and exposed areas still got stung. There were maybe 2 jellies per cubic foot of water. I mean - it was almost more jellies than water. It was a dock start and so you had to jump in and tread water for 2 minutes or so before the start. I jumped in when instructed and looked back and 1:30 later most of the group was still standing on the dock looking morose. I could feel my hands and feet swishing through the jellyfish, My boyfriend did not compete and met me at the end of the swim so I could dump my excess clothing on him and he told me people were sobbing as they got out of the water. Many were inexperienced with jellies (I am sorry to say that I have had much experience with them in open water) and were getting pulled out by the support boats and such. The  water was also very warm and the excess layers slowed me down, but better than being stung from head to toe.

Bike was fine but mysteriously headwindy the entire way. The run was in full sun and just generally wasn't fun (they never are, in my book).

Anyhow - I finished. My friend was a DTF due to getting a jellyfish sting on her eye. :(

A couple nerdy pictures attached just because.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #752 on: July 04, 2017, 12:29:56 AM »
Do full splits - about to pay $100 for a special splits class I am so desperate to accomplish this

What program are you looking at buying on splits? If you buy it, please post a review!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #753 on: July 04, 2017, 09:11:54 AM »
Do full splits - about to pay $100 for a special splits class I am so desperate to accomplish this

What program are you looking at buying on splits? If you buy it, please post a review!
It's actually a in-person class at a local pole dancing place, it's $100 for a 6-week series of weekly classes. There's also a yoga studio that has a splits specific series as well. I really, really want to do it because I feel like I'm just struggling to get this, despite my best efforts. 35 minutes per day of stretching specifically for the splits plus ~4 hours of hot yoga per week are NOT DOING IT.

I've been really going at it since December, but honestly I've been stretching daily for 1.5 years and been working on and off on the splits for 12 years. I had them when I was a figure skater and in a supportive environment of other people stretching together each every morning (also they were required.) Which is why I think the class might not be a bad idea to get over the hump.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #754 on: July 05, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »
Managed to do 9 x 150lbs (130% of bodyweight) back squats yesterday. This is the highest I've gotten since I was 18yrs. My birthday (30 yrs) is on Friday!

Deadlift is now up to 165lbs but unfortunately, I think I need to get gloves or wrist braces or something to get much higher. My hands suck too bad to get much higher without adding something to the equation. I hate buying things so I'll likely put this off.

Still stuck on bench press at 70lbs, 2 reps.  Not sure I have posture using the machine perfect; my feet often don't touch the floor on the seat (have I mentioned I'm tiny?)

Update on goals
Deadlift 1RM/118lbs Done
Back squat 1RM/118lbs Done
Bench press 1RM/100lbs - 70/100 ugh
Complete 1/2 Marathon - Done
Yoga >= 100:00:00 - 63 hours, on track
>= 5x/week working out - on track
Bike > 2,518 miles - On track

What's the issue with the deadlift?  Is it grip strength? Or something wrong with your hands?

There are a few things you could try without spending money.  First would be learn how to Hookgrip (can be painful until you get used to it).  Second would be to try a reverse grip (if you're not already).  Or if you have some scrap leather or nylon webbing you could make a pair of lifting straps.

Nice work knocking off so many goals!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #755 on: July 05, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »
What's the issue with the deadlift?  Is it grip strength? Or something wrong with your hands?

I have rheumatoid arthritis so my grip strength is terrible, and unlikely to improve. My hands are often super-duper inflamed and have trouble gripping daily objects like pens and pots, let alone 150+ lb ones. I do use the mixed grip already, which has helped. I have been looking into the straps, but the fact that those are smaller objects mean that it will actually probably be harder to for me to grip. I think I need to actually get something that cushions the bar for me like this. That's similar to the adaptive devices that I use to hold pens, forks, etc. Perhaps I can get my health insurance to buy them..

And thank you!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #756 on: July 05, 2017, 04:17:17 PM »

I have rheumatoid arthritis so my grip strength is terrible, and unlikely to improve. My hands are often super-duper inflamed and have trouble gripping daily objects like pens and pots, let alone 150+ lb ones. I do use the mixed grip already, which has helped. I have been looking into the straps, but the fact that those are smaller objects mean that it will actually probably be harder to for me to grip. I think I need to actually get something that cushions the bar for me like this. That's similar to the adaptive devices that I use to hold pens, forks, etc. Perhaps I can get my health insurance to buy them..

And thank you!

Those fat grips are usually used to work on grip strength, or rather they make it harder to hang on by increasing the diameter of the bar.

The lifting straps might be a good option for you.  They wrap around the bar and around your wrist and lock you in pretty good.  They also come off easily when you let go.

They also make deadlifting hooks.  I don't have any experience with these, but they make me wary for some reason.  I would try the lifting straps before these.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #757 on: July 05, 2017, 04:55:38 PM »

And thank you!

Those fat grips are usually used to work on grip strength, or rather they make it harder to hang on by increasing the diameter of the bar.

The lifting straps might be a good option for you.  They wrap around the bar and around your wrist and lock you in pretty good.  They also come off easily when you let go.

They also make deadlifting hooks.  I don't have any experience with these, but they make me wary for some reason.  I would try the lifting straps before these.

Interesting about the grips, usually for arthritic people we use increased width to make things easier, as grasping small objects is much harder for us (my hands don't make a full fist, for example.) Like this is what I use on pencils/pens:

My wrists are quite bad as well (I can't fold them back enough to do pushups for example, have to use bars, one has metal in it) so I am not sure I want to add any pressure on them. Those straps make me nervous, as do those hooks. I still haven't figured this out quite yet.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #758 on: July 06, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »
mm, with your health issues I wonder if you'd be better off developing posterior chain strength with different exercises, like hyperextensions and reverse hypers. I kind of fear for your wrists and hands with too much deadlifting. Plus a 165lb deadlift is not bad at all at your height and weight.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #759 on: July 06, 2017, 08:41:09 AM »
I jogged 5 miles on Tuesday. Yesterday I did 25 minutes of weightlifting, and 30 minutes of cardio on the staircase machine.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #760 on: July 10, 2017, 07:52:04 AM »
Because 2017 is apparently the year of stupid injuries I inflict upon myself, early last week I was teasing the neighbor children by stomping around pretending to be the big bad wolf... I stomped down my right foot, felt a sharp pain in my foot and up my ankle. Iced it. It felt fine by the next morning but was a dull ache by the end of the day. Took that day and the next off. Felt fine so I went for a short, easy run on day three. Dull ache by the end. Sigh. Took two more days off and ran a 5K I had already signed up for, dull ache by the end. Double sigh. Running seems to be my only issue with it though. I have been cycling and swimming with no issues. I'll continue that and take a few more days off from running. I just don't want to risk a dull ache becoming something more serious like the back strain did earlier this year. Perhaps I'm learning?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: July 10, 2017, 09:07:22 AM »
You might consider having a doctor look at it.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #762 on: July 10, 2017, 01:59:02 PM »

I will if a few more days off don't help it. It literally only aches after a couple miles of running, so I'm hoping it's just a little injury that the pounding from running is irritating while it heals. I'm just frustrated because this year every time I seem to get into a running groove, something has knocked me out of it. I've had silly, small injuries (not running/fitness related. Usually because I've done something dumb) or gotten the worst cold of my life that would. not. go. away. It'll be fine though, marathon not a spring and all that.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 02:04:57 PM by hudsoncat »

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #763 on: July 10, 2017, 03:40:54 PM »

I will if a few more days off don't help it. It literally only aches after a couple miles of running, so I'm hoping it's just a little injury that the pounding from running is irritating while it heals. I'm just frustrated because this year every time I seem to get into a running groove, something has knocked me out of it. I've had silly, small injuries (not running/fitness related. Usually because I've done something dumb) or gotten the worst cold of my life that would. not. go. away. It'll be fine though, marathon not a spring and all that.

@hudsoncat you and I sound a lot alike. I had the same thing happen to my ankle about three weeks ago. I was just walking around work, took a step, and shooting pain went from my foot to my ankle. Wound up taking two full weeks off running, while doing stretches/calf raises (which were the exercises I was given several years ago when I had Achilles tendinitis). My ankle is finally feeling better, and now my back is starting to bother me (I have horrible back problems, but it hasn't bugged me in a while). Sigh. 

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #764 on: July 10, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »
Well I'm happy to report that I did 45 minutes of cardio on the staircase machine yesterday, and 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical machine today. Then I taught yoga class.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #765 on: July 11, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »
I am curious about the work towards doing the splits. I've never been able to do them, even when I was doing yoga regularly as an adult and was otherwise super bendy. Couldn't do them as a teen when I was taking dance, although at the time I never specifically worked on doing splits.

Is there a website or general guidance for working towards this?

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #766 on: July 12, 2017, 01:28:32 AM »

Is there a website or general guidance for working towards this?

The general feedback I get is that being a runner is not good for doing splits. I tried the 30 days of splits program. For me, I think it might take 365 days. I also bought a stretching program a couple years ago and that seems like a better choice as it really helps position you for each stretch...and that makes a big difference for me. Most of my work focuses on hip flexors.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #767 on: July 12, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
I don't think being super flexible is an advantage. Strength and a certain amount of muscle tightness is protective of the joints, it prevents the joints from getting damaged from being overstretched.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #768 on: July 12, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »
Yea, over-flexibility isn't good for joints. That being said, if you're a dancer or your preferred form of expression is artistic + physical in some way, flexibility is a requirement. I couldn't compete with less than this level of flexibility in figure skating (minimum split height level for women above the 7th level out of 8 testing levels:)

Overall, running/training for marathons is way worse for you than running 5K every day. Doesn't mean some of us don't desire + enjoy working towards marathons (or splits).

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #769 on: July 17, 2017, 07:52:17 AM »
Back to running with no foot pain. We visited family this weekend who live in a very hilly neighborhood with long, steep hills this weekend. I went for a run one day and decided to tackle the biggest hill just to see if I could. On the way up I looked at my watch at one point and was running a 15:56 minute per mile pace. On the way down I decided to let it rip and see what I could get down too, 4:43 minute per mile pace. Suffice it to say, my normal running pace is usually somewhere in the middle of those paces. I wish we lived closer, I think I'd be a much stronger runner if I ran those hills frequently!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #770 on: July 17, 2017, 05:49:17 PM »
Yea, over-flexibility isn't good for joints. That being said, if you're a dancer or your preferred form of expression is artistic + physical in some way, flexibility is a requirement. I couldn't compete with less than this level of flexibility in figure skating (minimum split height level for women above the 7th level out of 8 testing levels:)

Overall, running/training for marathons is way worse for you than running 5K every day. Doesn't mean some of us don't desire + enjoy working towards marathons (or splits).

This is a conversation I have with DH often, because he can get pretty obsessive about his fitness stuff. Are you doing it for health? Because at a certain point, you cross the line from "optimal for health" to "sacrificing health to reach a goal". Which is fine if you're doing it consciously and it's a choice, but if you're unaware and unclear on your goals and your WHY, it can be a dangerous proposition.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #771 on: July 24, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »
I don't think being super flexible is an advantage. Strength and a certain amount of muscle tightness is protective of the joints, it prevents the joints from getting damaged from being overstretched.

Super flexible can be bad, though I would guess this is a rare situation for most modern humans.  I'd argue that most modern humans lack the required flexibility to even move through full ranges of motion without compensating ie reaching overhead, squatting, bending over etc...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #772 on: July 24, 2017, 07:35:52 AM »

Super flexible can be bad, though I would guess this is a rare situation for most modern humans.  I'd argue that most modern humans lack the required flexibility to even move through full ranges of motion without compensating ie reaching overhead, squatting, bending over etc...

I would draw a distinction between mobility and flexibility. Mobility connotes range of motion through a course of movement- ie, balance, core strength, all of that is expressed through a standard pattern of human motion, like a deep squat. Flexibility, on the other hand, generally implies static stretching of individual muscles, and implies nothing about the holistic stability of that stretching as part of a movement pattern. So I see *mobility* as being vital (and is, in fact an excellent predictor of mortality outcomes: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23242910).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #773 on: July 24, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »
I haven't checked in with this thread in a long time, but feel like I'm finally making some progress again.  It's been 11 months since I injured my ankle in a horse accident, and I can now do deep squats without feeling any sorts of "twinge" in that ankle, and it has 99% ROM of the good ankle.  It still gets a touch sore from running though, so I'm limiting that to a 3.5 mile run during the week and a 4.5 on the weekends, with some concessions for walking on the gravelly stretches if it's feeling sore.  Improvements seem to happen in about 2-month increments, so I'm hoping in September I'll be able to add in a third day of running.  I'm back at the gym 2x a week doing mostly kettlebell workouts with some rowing machine intervals and deadlifing (155# this week).  I'm also riding consistently 3x a week in a jumping saddle, which takes a lot more athleticism than the dressage saddle, so I'm getting a leg workout there.  The first few rides, my left leg in particular was about as effective as a wet noodle, but now I'm able to keep it on and use it more effectively.  Also hoping horse will have enough fitness to step up to 4 days a week in another month or so and start jumping once a week.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #774 on: July 24, 2017, 10:45:59 AM »
Yesterday I did 40 min. of cardio on the staircase machine, stairmaster maybe is what it is called.
Went to the gym and did cardio 4 times this past week.

Hope to again this week.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #775 on: July 29, 2017, 01:00:51 AM »
Had my third hernia surgery 5 weeks ago. First two were umbilical, this one was inguinal. Shits getting soooo old but whatever, I've been lifting 15+ years and garbage like that isn't slowing me down. Took two weeks off then slowly been getting back into it.

I know everyone has different goals and people who don't care about having a low BF or being balanced or whatever hate seeing pictures, but it's always part of the reason I enjoy diet and exercise. I love working out in general, but also aim to improve my physique. Just started cutting a week or two for the next 6 weeks. Hope to be able to drop about 9 more lbs (at 189 now)

For the last several years my wife have been on a 3 day/wk workout kick. With optimizing a workout, cardio, and near flawless diet, I don't think anyone needs a ton more unless they have really specific goals they are training for.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #776 on: July 29, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »
PT has been a wash since I joined this thread.  Shortly after I posted, my workload went up 50% right up until I left Colorado.  I'm now in a cushy office job with no deployments, no travel, and 9-5 hours.  Uncle Sam is paying for a YMCA membership and there is one a 5 minute drive from my house and a 5 minute walk from my office. In the last two weeks I've gone 7 times.  The plan is to either go before work or during lunch.  With my injury history I need to sit down with a trainer and figure out how hard I can push it and in what order I should be doing things (this last one is the toughest nut to crack).  I want to work out Mon-Fri, and we go as a family Tuesday and Thursday while my son has a martial arts class so there's the possibility of going twice a day two days of the week.  I just know that without some guidance I will over-do it and add another injury to the list. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #777 on: July 29, 2017, 03:32:01 PM »
Changed jobs and I am trying to sort out my new workout schedule. Enjoying a lighter overall workout schedule as things settle in. At the start of July I did a "virtual" Ironman. This allowed it to be done in segments (starting July 1 and runs until September). This was at my old job and I wanted to knock it out quickly. I got it done in a week. Main challenge was a lot more running than typical for me - maybe twice my regular distance. As it happened I had a lot of biking opportunities that week and wended up doing about 170 miles on the bike, quite a bit beyond the ~120 that was required. Knocked the swim out in the first two days.

End result was that I was the first finisher on the event, got a sweet huge bag of swag. Kept exercising for another week and then went on vacation. My legs were shot. Could barely climb two flights of stairs. I was on a cruise and ran a few times as the top deck had a 1/4 mile track, but it was a slow hot shuffle.

Anyhow, now taking it a bit easier. I can ride to work 4 hilly miles each way. But I have way less time for riding now, more time for running and swimming (which are less time consuming). Not counting the virtual I have done 3 triathlons this year and my goal is to do 5. I'll probably sign up for a 1/2 marathon for October, assuming I can get my mileage up enough. Looking forward to cooler weather and a less crowded pool.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #778 on: July 29, 2017, 08:08:47 PM »
I didn't get to workout today like I hoped I got inundated with work.

I did teach 2 yoga classes, so I'm hoping that counts for something.

jordanread

« Reply #779 on: July 29, 2017, 08:11:32 PM »
u2bt, were those hernia surgeries due to working out, and were they left over from previous damage? Also, IIRC you were a lot more shiny last year. Was that shaving, lighting, or something else? I'm nowhere near where I have to worry about it, but just some knowledge for the back pocket.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #780 on: July 29, 2017, 11:50:30 PM »
For folks wanting HIIT workouts, i've enjoyed doing Jesse Itzler #WeDoHardStuff group. You have to join the facebook group in a roundabout type of way. He posts different challenges for people to do each month (and somehow donates to charity based on the results).

For me, it's been good to have someone else coming up with new workout ideas, etc. 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #781 on: July 29, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
u2bt, were those hernia surgeries due to working out, and were they left over from previous damage? Also, IIRC you were a lot more shiny last year. Was that shaving, lighting, or something else? I'm nowhere near where I have to worry about it, but just some knowledge for the back pocket.

Very observant you are lol. I always shaved up until last fall I just started trimming. Kind of nice but I don't look as lean either. Will probably shave again while I cut hard. I also believe the last pics were at the gym, so sweat = shiny lol

For men - hernias are often just genetic or bad luck. My dad and grandpa both had several. not much you can do to prevent it, other than just be sedentary which is probably a bigger risk long term. This last one was a breeze. I went to a hernia specialist who only does hernias. Recovery and the likes were all great as well. Of course - before insurance this surgery would have been 25k vs my last two, 3 and 6 years ago, around 12k. Thanks Obamacare.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:36:33 PM by use2betrix »

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #782 on: July 30, 2017, 10:17:24 AM »

There are a few things you could try without spending money.  First would be learn how to Hookgrip (can be painful until you get used to it). 

I'll second the advice of learning the hook grip. You can just lift so much more weight with it.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #783 on: August 02, 2017, 12:11:07 AM »
A quick July recap.

Worked out/did something 30 of 31 days (much less running but much more HIIT).  Eliminated dairy and nuts from diet.

No scale available but seeing/feeling a difference.

Plan is to continue on this workout program while cutting until 21 Aug. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #784 on: August 02, 2017, 05:43:56 AM »
Set up camp on a treadmill at my local gym this evening. 10.5km in 60 minutes - exactly the pace needed to do a 1/2 marathon in 2 hours.

The toughest battle for me is head and feet - staying mentally strong, and ignoring the niggling foot soreness. At the end of it I felt like I could do another 3 to 4 kms quite easy, but the full 21.1 I think would really have been a stretch. The gym started closing so I couldn't find out!

Anyway, have 6 weeks to sort it out before the big day.

I was surprised at the calorie burn (903) that the machine said... this means 1800 for the HM   :O

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #785 on: August 02, 2017, 11:37:14 AM »
https://money.good.is/articles/german-man-swims-to-work?utm_content=inf_10_81_2&c=tse1&tse_id=INF_354b9f3076eb11e785e8bfcdfe5d7856

I'm pretty impressed with the folks who cycle to work every day (I'm kind of a fair weather, when I feel like it cycle to work person <- working on it), but I'm even more impressed with this. Not sure this thread was the most natural fit, but also wasn't sure t needed it's own thread.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #786 on: August 05, 2017, 01:18:56 AM »
Ran a 10k race through the local national park today.

I have never ever finished in the top 10 of a running race before in my life. I don't care that there were only 14 people running, the fact I managed to beat 5 of them is something to smile about! :D :D :D

Think I did it in about 56 minutes, quite an undulating track which made it hard to get into a consistent rhythm.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #787 on: August 05, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »

I have never ever finished in the top 10 of a running race before in my life. I don't care that there were only 14 people running, the fact I managed to beat 5 of them is something to smile about! :D :D :D

Think I did it in about 56 minutes, quite an undulating track which made it hard to get into a consistent rhythm.

Way to go, Marty998!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #788 on: August 05, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
Five month check-in.  Continued gradual progress. 

Input Goal: Run 130x / 10 months = 13x/month.
Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, May 12x.
Total runs 44, avg 8.8/month,  68% of target rate.  Slow start, now on track.

Results Goal:  Drop from 33% body fat to 30%.
Results: Body fat now 28.75%.

Notes:  Dropped from 164.8 lbs to 151.5 lbs so far.  Waist down from 39.25 inches to 36.25.  Continuing track workouts that started in mid-May.  By appearance, am getting more toned.

WHY AM I IN THIS THREAD
Just occurred to me to state this...
1. Ya'll are very inspirational.
2. What I'm inspired to do is first get my cardio back and lose some fat, then gradually strengthen my core and overall muscles.
3. So yes, I appear to be measuring mostly cardio-related stuff and weight loss, but I'm on my way towards resistance work and building strength. 
4. So I'm here because strength is a real goal.  Even if I'm not expecting to complete the whole package in one little year.
5. I'm reasonably knowledgeable about running, less so about strength.  This thread is educational, which I will need to progress without undue injury.
6. Thanks for letting me join!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:45:10 AM by Bicycle_B »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #789 on: August 07, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »
Still recovering from a cold this week, but my 2-mile treadmill time is back down to 16 minutes.  Next step is to try that out on a track and see if it holds.  Still researching what path to take on weight training.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #790 on: August 07, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
I completely forgot about this thread over the past few months.

I raced an Olympic distance Triathlon on June 4th with barely any training. It was such a wake up call for my IRONMAN 70.3 race in September that I dove headfirst into a formal training program to peak for that race.

Went from no training, to in the past 4 weeks....

~300 miles biked
~75 miles ran
~5,000 yards swam

I am finally down to 221-222 lbs, from my high of 235 Jan 1st.

Down to a low of 216lbs I saw last week.

Last Saturday I did my longest training ride to date - 66 miles

This Saturday I did my longest training run to date - 10 miles

Last weekend I did my longest swim to date - 1.15 miles

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #791 on: August 08, 2017, 01:41:19 AM »
I completely forgot about this thread over the past few months.

I raced an Olympic distance Triathlon on June 4th with barely any training. It was such a wake up call for my IRONMAN 70.3 race in September that I dove headfirst into a formal training program to peak for that race.

Went from no training, to in the past 4 weeks....

~300 miles biked
~75 miles ran
~5,000 yards swam

I am finally down to 221-222 lbs, from my high of 235 Jan 1st.

Down to a low of 216lbs I saw last week.

Last Saturday I did my longest training ride to date - 66 miles

This Saturday I did my longest training run to date - 10 miles

Last weekend I did my longest swim to date - 1.15 miles

Great progress 2Birds! Looks like you are in a good position for your Ironman 70.3 in September.

Five month check-in.  Continued gradual progress. 

Input Goal: Run 130x / 10 months = 13x/month.
Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, May 12x.
Total runs 44, avg 8.8/month,  68% of target rate.  Slow start, now on track.

Results Goal:  Drop from 33% body fat to 30%.
Results: Body fat now 28.75%.

Notes:  Dropped from 164.8 lbs to 151.5 lbs so far.  Waist down from 39.25 inches to 36.25.  Continuing track workouts that started in mid-May.  By appearance, am getting more toned.

WHY AM I IN THIS THREAD
Just occurred to me to state this...
1. Ya'll are very inspirational.
2. What I'm inspired to do is first get my cardio back and lose some fat, then gradually strengthen my core and overall muscles.
3. So yes, I appear to be measuring mostly cardio-related stuff and weight loss, but I'm on my way towards resistance work and building strength. 
4. So I'm here because strength is a real goal.  Even if I'm not expecting to complete the whole package in one little year.
5. I'm reasonably knowledgeable about running, less so about strength.  This thread is educational, which I will need to progress without undue injury.
6. Thanks for letting me join!!

You are inspirational, BB! Solid ramp-up on your running frequency, and seeing results too.

Nice! As much as I try to tell myself that fitness is only a competition with myself, there's undeniable pleasure in placing well. Even in a small field. Sound like a fun trail run.

I haven't checked in for a few months. Here is my July update:

Totals from my Garmin for July (And annual goal progress):
8 runs for 44 miles (no goal for running)
4 soccer matches (no goal for soccer)
6 hikes for 55 miles (no goal for hiking)
0 bodyweight workouts (abandoned this as an annual goal)
14 yoga classes (well ahead of schedule for the year)
5 bike rides for 145 miles (no goal for cycling)

Strength progress (context is the Reddit bodyweightfitness recommended routine):
I decided to abandon strength training this summer. I wasn't enjoying it and I wanted to give myself more time to do the things I was enjoying more, like hiking. I am giving myself permission to stop strength training completely for the summer and will consider starting strength workouts again when the weather gets worse, around October.

Flexibility progress:
I have abandoned flexibility as a result goal. I was not making any measurable progress, my right hamstring still felt tighter than my left and on the edge of injury while I was stretching. I am continuing to go to yoga frequently and stretch occasionally on my own. I saw a physical therapist, who told me that for someone who is a strong runner, my hip and hamstring range of motion is not out of the ordinary (I can touch my toes, barely). He said that I should focus work on the twisting exercises and lower back release in yoga. I would still like to improve flexibility, but I am trying to be easier on myself and be happy with whatever small improvements happen organically in yoga classes. Perhaps after a few months of yoga, I'll try again with a stretching regimen.

Running:
At the end of June, I ran for a mile PR inspired by the Strava challenge that month and I was very happy to run my fastest ever mile, 5:04. I'd still like to break 5 minutes one day, but not focusing on that right now. The summer months are so precious in Seattle, I'm trying to use my current fitness to get out and enjoy the mountains rather than pound the pavement too much with intervals etc.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #792 on: August 08, 2017, 03:23:39 AM »
At the end of June, I ran for a mile PR inspired by the Strava challenge that month and I was very happy to run my fastest ever mile, 5:04.

Whoa that's quick. If I ever get down to that level for a mile I'd be cheering.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #793 on: August 08, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
Last week I did cardio 5 times - 3 times on the Stairmaster, 30 min. each, - 2 times on the elliptical 30 min, and 23 min. workouts.
I did weightlifting 3 times, 25 minutes each time ( all muscle groups ).
And I taught 5 yoga classes.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #794 on: August 09, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
With my new job I have the time available to work out for an hour in the morning and at lunch on most days.  I want to make the best of it, but I also need to be careful about overdoing it.  My fitness requirement is 2 minute of pushups, 2 minutes of sit ups, and a 2 mile run.  I also want to build up my joints to prevent any more injuries. I have the start of a routine that I'd like some feedback on:

Monday - morning: treadmill run 2 miles
Tuesday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Wednesday - morning: treadmill hill runs; afternoon: leg exercises
Thursday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Friday - morning: treadmill run 3-5 miles; afternoon: ?
Sat-Sun: rest

Does this make sense? Am I missing anything or doing too much of something? There will be mornings where I don't work out and will likely combine my morning and afternoon routines if I have the time.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: August 10, 2017, 07:52:51 AM »
I might add some gentle stretching.

Here's an interesting article that questions weight loss strategies via exercise

Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy
https://nyti.ms/2uFxUgW

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #796 on: August 10, 2017, 09:53:26 AM »
I might add some gentle stretching.

Here's an interesting article that questions weight loss strategies via exercise

Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy
https://nyti.ms/2uFxUgW

I'm 5'10 and 160lbs. Weight loss is definitely not my concern.  I have discovered the need for a lot more stretching though. I'm waking up pretty sore.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #797 on: August 10, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »
Oh yes your weight is fine. It was just an interesting informational article.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #798 on: August 13, 2017, 03:01:43 PM »
With my new job I have the time available to work out for an hour in the morning and at lunch on most days.  I want to make the best of it, but I also need to be careful about overdoing it.  My fitness requirement is 2 minute of pushups, 2 minutes of sit ups, and a 2 mile run.  I also want to build up my joints to prevent any more injuries. I have the start of a routine that I'd like some feedback on:

Monday - morning: treadmill run 2 miles
Tuesday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Wednesday - morning: treadmill hill runs; afternoon: leg exercises
Thursday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Friday - morning: treadmill run 3-5 miles; afternoon: ?
Sat-Sun: rest

Does this make sense? Am I missing anything or doing too much of something? There will be mornings where I don't work out and will likely combine my morning and afternoon routines if I have the time.

What kinds of set/rep scheme are you following, and at what percentage of 1RM?

I see you are doing a two day split routine wth a bunch of cardio thrown in, and basically working your legs 4-5 days per week. Way too much leg work, especially with the running, unless your volume is super light.  Drop the leg work on Wednesdays. And since you only have to be able to run two miles, for the time being stick to that. Also, drop the rowing or else substitute it for one day of running. The last thing I would want to do after a back workout is row.

You might also consider doing abs on your running days. I would not work abs and lower back same day, unless your volume is super low.

Good luck with your training!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #799 on: August 13, 2017, 03:11:52 PM »
I felt a little inspired this morning. Got up at 5am, went for a 3k light run.

Feels incredible for a Monday morning. If I hadn't done that I would have dragged myself out of bed at the usual 6am... stumbled around with breakfast and had a shave, reluctantly got dressed and staggered my way half asleep to the train station.

Now I'm on the train feeling bright and alert. I'm going to do this as often as I can now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!