Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172634 times)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #650 on: April 27, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »
You guys, I'm so mad. I just writing to complain. I tried to stand on an chair at work today that folded up on me, I fell and became hopeless tangled in the chair on the way down. I have several scrapes and bruises, but what concerns me is how sore and swollen my ankle is. Sigh. I'm only mad because I could have gotten a step ladder, it would have taken me five more minutes. Currently icing and elevating. I'll give it a bit before I decide if I need to head toward a doctor. Dumb move all around. Hopefully this won't keep me out for long.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #651 on: April 27, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »
This year I've been hitting the gym for a 30-min bootcamp pretty consistently at 2-3x a week + a 1-2mi jog a week. I know this is the very bare mimimum for some people, but for me it is my first real fitness routine for the first time in my life!

I regret not taking photos at the beginning of the year so I can figure out if my shoulder definition is real or imagined. My weight hasn't shifted one bit, but I'm hoping there's SOME body recomposition that's happened in there...

This is super exciting! Good job. I'm going to credit your AWESOME teammates on Habitica for this one ;) Mwahaha.
Totally! Speaking of... I need to add a fitness goal in. (I have achieved daily showers (I know gross... but seriously!) as my biggest new habit I'm proud of.)

HAHAHA you guys. You guys + Habitica definitely helped me get the first 500+ pushups and 10mi+ jogs in for fear of "failing" you guys' trust.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to break the weight plateau hmmm

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #652 on: April 27, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
After a few weeks of not quite making it, I finally hit my 5k mark yesterday in running. I'm not sure yet if I've lost my chance yet to run the 10k I wanted at the end of May, as my training is progressing slower that I would like. I went to the doctor about my difficulty breathing while running, and was told I have allergies. Now I'm trying to find some meds that will get those under control and allow me to breath better while running. I'm making progress, and I'm doing better than I was, so it's a step in the right direction.

jordanread

« Reply #653 on: April 27, 2017, 04:51:58 PM »
Hudsoncat, I'm pretty certain that 75% of the things that go horribly wing are due to not taking 5 minutes to prepare right. Don't feel bad, you're not alone. Take it slow, and keep icing it.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #654 on: April 27, 2017, 05:42:39 PM »
After a few weeks of not quite making it, I finally hit my 5k mark yesterday in running. I'm not sure yet if I've lost my chance yet to run the 10k I wanted at the end of May, as my training is progressing slower that I would like. I went to the doctor about my difficulty breathing while running, and was told I have allergies. Now I'm trying to find some meds that will get those under control and allow me to breath better while running. I'm making progress, and I'm doing better than I was, so it's a step in the right direction.

If your running the entire 5K now I would think in a month you could complete a 10K. But you may have to walk some of it so depends if you'd enjoy that or you would rather wait to build up longer.

You guys, I'm so mad. I just writing to complain. I tried to stand on an chair at work today that folded up on me, I fell and became hopeless tangled in the chair on the way down. I have several scrapes and bruises, but what concerns me is how sore and swollen my ankle is. Sigh. I'm only mad because I could have gotten a step ladder, it would have taken me five more minutes. Currently icing and elevating. I'll give it a bit before I decide if I need to head toward a doctor. Dumb move all around. Hopefully this won't keep me out for long.

A couple years ago I was in my home gym/barn set up and I wanted to rearrange my rock climbing holds. Rather then walk down to the bottom of the barn where we have countless step ladders I choose to stand on a chair to do the work. Then my dumbass decided to test one of the holds right above the chair. In the split second I hung from the hold I must of spaced that the chair was still there and instead of lowering myself back down to the chair I just let go completely like to jump/fall to the floor. Nope the one post of the chair caught the majority of my weight right in my groin area. OMG top 5 pain of my entire life. Golf ball sized dark black bruise and damn near lost a man part.

Yeah, we all do dumb stuff (;

hopefully it's not too bad and you bounce back quickly!!

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #655 on: April 28, 2017, 03:13:57 AM »

As others have said, injuries always happen unexpectedly. They are the worst but they can happen to anybody any time. Don't beat yourself up too much.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #656 on: April 28, 2017, 05:21:08 AM »
Checking in.  Making slow but steady progress on my pushup and pullup goal.   I LOVE how strong my upper body is feeling. I actually tried out the new monkey-bar track in our workout room a couple days ago, and was shocked to discover I could do it!   I paid for it a bit the night after, with some pain in my bad shoulder.  So I will build up to it more slowly.  Still, very exciting.

Hope everyone recovers from their injuries quickly!     

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #657 on: April 28, 2017, 07:08:29 AM »

I agree with LWTG... I think you could do a 10K in a month if you are doing a 5K now. No shame in walking a bit if you need to as you build your mileage.

Ankle update: After an afternoon of icing and generally staying off of it, the swelling has gone down. It's still a bit swollen and tender, but it's clearly not hurt badly thankfully. The bruising is turning pretty colors all down my foot. I am happy to have an excuse to miss a work related philanthropic walk tomorrow given that it is supposed to be pouring buckets of rain.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #658 on: April 29, 2017, 05:37:07 AM »
I am a new convert to the benefits of strength training! 

Did a bunch of chores last night, some of which involved heavy (for me) lifting and carrying -- two 5 gallon buckets of water, a large roll of fencing, 50 pound bag of chicken feed.  A few months ago I would have had to ask DH for help, but I did it myself!  I can feel how much stronger my whole upper body is -- it's awesome.  I like feeling how all the muscles work together -- abs, back, arms, shoulders -- when I lift something heavy.     

Running mileage took a huge hit in March and April due to the Whole30 diet/allergy version.  Man that wiped out my energy.   Getting back on an even keel now energy wise, and looking forward to ramping back up to normal running mileage. (3-5 miles per day)       

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #659 on: April 29, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
3.25 mile run today, and it actually felt pretty good! I feel like I'm getting stronger every day, and it feels great.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #660 on: May 01, 2017, 06:55:18 AM »

March checkin:
Cardio: 13/17 workouts
Strength: 10/17 workouts
Weight: 156
BF: 16.5%
Diet: On track, started tracking calories

April checkin:
Cardio: 19/17 workouts
Strength: 15/17 workouts
Weight: 156
BF: 16.3%
Diet: On track, but apparently at maintenance

Overall, a good month. I'm progressing on deadlift, and my shoulder feels fine. I had lots of boring meetings to dial into, so I got some extra cardio workouts in. I had a whole week where I was above my calorie target every day, which contributed to my staying at the same weight. I'm working on that this month.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #661 on: May 01, 2017, 08:08:20 AM »
So, April goals:
-20 walks + runs
-finish out the couch to 5k program, then move to 2 days per week running
-once C to 5k ends, add 1 scheduled day lifting per week
-3 yoga classes at the studio
-15 days of 10/10 daily minimums
-2 hikes
-Run a 5k at some sort of organized event

April totals:
-17 runs+walks- 3 under my goal
-finish out the couch to 5k program, then move to 2 days per week running- success
-once C to 5k ends, add 1 scheduled day lifting per week - nope, this did not happen
-3 yoga classes at the studio- this did not happen
-15 days of 10/10 daily minimums - 2 under my goal, I got 13.
-2 hikes- this did not happen, mainly due to weather- everything has been a mud bog
-Run a 5k at some sort of organized event- did not happen

Well... April wasn't great on the goals front, but for my baseline fitness it was still pretty good.

May goals:
-3 hikes
-keep running 2 times per week for the couch to 10k program
-15 days of 10/10 daily minimum
-3 bike rides
-Add 1 time per week lifting

May is a lot of April repeats that I'm hoping for.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #662 on: May 01, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
Overall I am pleased with April.  My runs with "new" people have made me push....one gal in speed and another in distance.  I managed to do a 12 mile run --probably the longest run I have done by FAR in about 8 years!

I focused a lot on doing my stretches for the split program.  While not successful, it was a good exercise and I'm going to switch back to my Stretch Therapy program with a focus on hip flexors, etc.

•   Lose >= 8lbs: unknown—I believe down a tiny bit (maybe 1/2 - 1 pound).  I don’t own a scale
   •   <= 16% body fat: unknown, have not re-tested
   •   Full splits: not yet, see below
   •   Complete 30 day split program: Pass: completed 30 day program.  Probably some improvement but still not able to do a split.  Planning to create customized 30 day plan.  Guess I’d better get on that today.
   •   Consistent ab work: Fail: consistently inconsistent.
   •   Consistently perform Stretch Therapy Program: Fail: combining this temporarily with customized split program above.
   •   Run >= 3x/week: Pass: went on 12 runs.
   •   Run w/speed, hill or cross-training component-1x/week: Pass; 4 runs with speed work, 1 run with hill work
   •   Yoga >= Fail: 1x/week, can’t seem to get myself to go.
   •   Plank practice >= Fail, 3x/week…averaging 1 x a week.
   •   >=07:00 plank, not yet, in progress
   •   Practice press handstand >= 1x/week, Fail
   •   1 set/10 Press Handstands, not yet
   •   Bike to all nearby errands, Pass: biked to errands for 21 days this month, out of town 4 days, 1 day with a flat, 2 days nothing close by, 2 days used car (though for good reason on one day). 
   •   >= 1 hike/month: Fail
   •   Passagiata >= 3x/week: Fail, averaging 1 x/week
   •   Find slackline setup location: Fail….no place at house to setup
   •   Practice slackline, Fail, see above, this might just have to wait until I can grow some trees.
   •   Incorporate social activities in fitness: Pass: ran 4 times with “new” people, did 1 workout with “new” person
   •   Consistent Keto Eating: Pass, I don’t actually track and test but don’t cheat.  My main problem for weight loss is probably eating too many calories. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #663 on: May 01, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
Got my first open water swim in for the year. This was the first meeting for the open water group, although there are a few people who start in late March or early April. Water temp was about 67/68. I started with my wetsuit (sleeveless) and took it off after I swam the first kilometer. Turned in a second K without the wetsuit. Longest and coldest swim I've done in open water. I hate the wetsuit with a passion. Once I warmed up I was fine with the water temp, although I was the only one aside from the coach who was willing to go without. At this point my issue with cold water is mostly mental rather than physical.

I'll get another swim or two in before my next triathlon on May 21. That one is a lake swim. I forget what temp it is to be mandatory for wetsuits, but we should be above that. I'm faster with it but it is so claustrophobic and HOT and chokes my neck and damn I hate that thing.

I need a bit more time in ocean rather than just lake/ river but the ocean is 3 hours or so away. So I probably won't do an ocean swim unless I register for a tri there in September.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #664 on: May 02, 2017, 04:59:58 PM »
April update

still getting stronger. Most recent rep PR's are as follows

Press 130 x 5 = 152 calculated max
Dead lift 280 x 12 = 392 calculated max
Bench 180 x 11 = 246 calculated max
Squat 205 x 10 = 273 calculated max

I'm getting more comfortable in the squat but it is still my worst lift. My conditioning has been none existent I need to work on that during my next cycle. on the train to be awesome side of things I can do 3 unassisted pull-ups and 5 band assisted pull-ups for 5 sets now. At the beginning of the year I could only do the 5  band assisted pull-ups per set.

Good work everybody and keep it up

jordanread

« Reply #665 on: May 02, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »
I know some folks updated their goals recently. I will get that reflected in the participant tracking post tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #666 on: May 03, 2017, 12:56:36 AM »
I managed to complete the last day of the Blogilates for Beginners Workout Calender today - pretty proud of myself for sticking to it, even with the in-laws visiting this week. Trying to decide whether I want to goto the full calenders, or redo some of the beginner days - I found the last week pretty tough.

Wheels for the stroller arrived today, so will be able to take a small boy out for walks again (one wheel had shredded)
Taken the kayak out a few times lately, which has been good, my kayaking goal is to go from paddling around an island, to then being able paddle to a nearby bridge and back.
Also taken the bike sometimes, but not as a regular thing.

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #667 on: May 03, 2017, 03:02:32 AM »
Nice job everyone, I really enjoy reading the monthly reports.

My April check-in:

Totals from my Garmin for April (And annual goal progress):
14 runs for 70 miles, plus 6 soccer matches (no goal for running)
5 bodyweight workouts (a little behind schedule for the year)
19 yoga classes (well ahead of schedule for the year)

Strength progress (context is the Reddit bodyweightfitness recommended routine):
Really fell off on strength training the second half of this month, no workouts for two weeks straight. I don't feel excited to do strength sessions as I do for yoga and running and soccer, and if I don't have time to do all I'd like I always skip those workouts. I can still catch up and make my yearly goal, but it's in jeopardy right now. I do enjoy the results of the strength work, so maybe I need to focus more on that.

Flexibility progress:
Stopped nightly stretching sessions to see if my right hamstring/glute would recover. It has not. I saw my primary care doctor and got a referral to a PT, who I will see in the middle of May. I think I'm about the same in terms of front fold flexibility as last month. Yoga sessions are probably helping maintain my flexibility, but possibly preventing my leg from recovering better too. I'm unsure about how much I should rest, what I should stop doing and for how long, in order to try to get this nagging muscle issue to improve.

Running:
Increased mileage a little in April and feeling stronger. Had three straight weeks of 5-6 runs per week (if including soccer as a run). Did not add more hill work.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #668 on: May 03, 2017, 06:36:33 PM »
Well, I haven't run since Saturday, which means I've missed two runs so far this week, but I have the chance to make at least one of them up if I do it right. I tried to run on Sunday, but my ankle was bothering me, so I figured I would rather rest it for a few days than push it. Then today, just as my ankle no longer bothered me, I managed to hit my foot into my car door, leaving a giant red bruise/bump on the top of my foot that hurts when I wear shoes. It's always something it seems.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #669 on: May 03, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »
End of April check in:
I gave up on my c25k running goal. I did a c25k workout, I enjoyed it, but the bunion pain afterwards kept me up at night. I'm not interested in getting bunion surgery, so I'll just cross running off my list.

Still can't do a chinup, but I added two seconds to my bent-arm hang time.

Most importantly, I biked every day (587 miles total for April), and did some strength stuff every day.

May? If I don't have to skip town to help my parents again, then the goal is to just stick with what I'm doing. If I do have to skip town, the goal is to find a way to keep working out daily in some way, which will be more challenging than last time because they are downsizing and moving to a senior center and I'm pretty sure they have gotten rid of their dumbbells by now. I'll have to look up some prison cell workouts.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #670 on: May 06, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
Question: how feasible do you think it is to get from a 70lbs bench press to a 90lb bench press in 9 weeks? (115lb female, 29yo) Probably unlikely, eh?

I turn 30 in 9 weeks and have a lot of strength goals I was trying to meet by my birthday (also recognizing that this is an ongoing thing and that isn't a drop-dead date - I hope).

I'm getting discouraged by how slow my bench press progress is coming (partially due to my RA - meaning I have shitty wrists)  compared to my other lifting goals. I've switched in the past couple weeks to using the bench press machines instead of barbells exclusively (partially because I don't have a spotter, mainly because of wrists).

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #671 on: May 08, 2017, 11:13:25 AM »
Question: how feasible do you think it is to get from a 70lbs bench press to a 90lb bench press in 9 weeks? (115lb female, 29yo) Probably unlikely, eh?

I turn 30 in 9 weeks and have a lot of strength goals I was trying to meet by my birthday (also recognizing that this is an ongoing thing and that isn't a drop-dead date - I hope).

I'm getting discouraged by how slow my bench press progress is coming (partially due to my RA - meaning I have shitty wrists)  compared to my other lifting goals. I've switched in the past couple weeks to using the bench press machines instead of barbells exclusively (partially because I don't have a spotter, mainly because of wrists).

Have you tried wrist wraps? I have to wrap mine after a certain point or they give me trouble, happened after I tore a tendon during an axle press. Ken at Anderson PL is a good guy, sells some grat wraps. I'd link to them, but I have mixed feelings about linking merchandise here. Basically though, if you want wraps, you want real wraps, not some crappy ones from walmart. KLA 2000s are where it's at.

And are you talking about adding 20 pounds for a single rep, or for a set of 10 or something? If it's for a single, we can get you there easily.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #672 on: May 10, 2017, 09:20:44 AM »
Ran 3.1 miles today even though I'm on vacation. I'm excited that this is becoming a habit!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #673 on: May 10, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »
Ran 3.1 miles today even though I'm on vacation. I'm excited that this is becoming a habit!

That's great! I'm finding running easier as I do it regularly too.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #674 on: May 11, 2017, 07:38:44 AM »
I am proud to say that I've been averaging 3x attendance at the gym for the last two months! I even try to add a mile on the treadmill after my gym class most days :)

ADVICE NEEDED: I'm going on a 10-day vacation soon, and I'm wondering what suggestions people have for not falling off the wagon while/after taking a long-ish trip.

jordanread

« Reply #675 on: May 11, 2017, 08:11:23 AM »
I am proud to say that I've been averaging 3x attendance at the gym for the last two months! I even try to add a mile on the treadmill after my gym class most days :)

ADVICE NEEDED: I'm going on a 10-day vacation soon, and I'm wondering what suggestions people have for not falling off the wagon while/after taking a long-ish trip.

What kind of workouts do you do at the gym? If they are easily done on the trip, no biggie. However, even if you can't, I've found that merely setting time aside to do something focused on physical stuff keeps the mindset and habit in place. Like walks, or jumping over riled up towels, out running the stairs.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #676 on: May 11, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »

What kind of workouts do you do at the gym? If they are easily done on the trip, no biggie. However, even if you can't, I've found that merely setting time aside to do something focused on physical stuff keeps the mindset and habit in place. Like walks, or jumping over riled up towels, out running the stairs.

So I actually have been attending a 30-min bootcamp of 3 sets of 6 1-min exercises (e.g. burpees, ball slams, free weights, ropes) overseen by a lovely trainer who fosters a lot of community but encourages improvement. Without her / the structure / the camaraderie / the pressure not be the most pathetic, I have never been able to sustain any semblance to a workout habit on my own.

I think maybe I can try to squeeze that 7-minute workout app into my days, but I worry I may not even commit to that once I'm in Hawaii. At least I should be walking lots...

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #677 on: May 11, 2017, 02:21:44 PM »
Well, this year in fitness has been totally derailed, although for reasons that I think anyone would understand. First, my wife had a rare and acute medical situation about 6 weeks ago, leading to emergency and life-saving surgery. Worst week of my life surrounding that... Thankfully, she is now mostly recovered and they don't expect any significant long term effects. But I sure as hell didn't get many workouts in this last 6 weeks. Despite that, I have also somehow developed some kind of chronic pain/cramping in my erector on the right side of my back, which makes me scared to deadlift heavy and sometimes flares on squats as well. Guess I just have to bro it out and do bench only for a while, but it's troublesome enough I may go to the Dr about it soon. Either way, I probably will need to either miss all of my goals or redefine them once I know where I'm at 1RM-wise in a month or two.

I also broke down and spent some more $ on my home setup - Scored a pair of powerblock elite 90lb adjustable dumbbells in great condition for $380. They go for almost $600 new and tend to keep their value. I rarely see them on craigslist at all and never for under $500 until now, so I caved to the impulse, as olympic dumbbell handles really limit what you can do with them. I would have preferred Ironmasters, but haven't found any deals near as good for them, and have enjoyed the powerblocks more than I expected in the couple workouts I've tried. It has been really nice being able to reintroduce a bunch of dumbell accessory work that I have been missing.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #678 on: May 11, 2017, 02:37:41 PM »
What a tough year, Lagom. I'm glad your wife is recovering. Do get your back checked out. It sounds painful and also like the type of issue that could lead to other bad stuff.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #679 on: May 13, 2017, 08:22:41 AM »
Joining too. Specifically need to work on my posture/core strength.

Goals:
- Foundation Training (recommended by chiropractor) for core/back strength. I'm on exercise 1 of 10, but poor posture lately is making the exercises almost moot.

- Improve Posture - keep shoulders back! Purchased ergonomic pillows ($25 total on amazon: lumbar, sleeping, reading in bed, the water pillow recommended by dr, and seat cushion), changing laptop setup for better eye/neck height (aka using books/puzzles to prop higher). Considering a posture back brace support.

- Continue walking at least 1 mile/day, morning stretches/yoga, 7-minute workout, and 4-minute workout.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #680 on: May 16, 2017, 07:22:07 AM »
Checking in.  I've had a setback on my upper body strength goal.  Developed some shoulder and elbow pain on my 'bad' side.  Scaling back on the strength training a bit to see if that will heal/fix itself. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #681 on: May 21, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »
Just finished my second triathlon for the year. I've been sick since Wednesday with some sort of nasty cold and congestion.  Nevertheless I turned up and placed sixth in my age group.

Now I am going back to bed.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #682 on: May 21, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »
Well, I never did progress far enough with my running in order to run the 10k this coming weekend that I wanted to run. I signed up for the 5k instead. At least it's a race. Now I just need to make sure to get my act back in gear for the slow build up I'm doing for my half marathon in the fall.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #683 on: May 21, 2017, 09:43:13 PM »
jordanread says that you are all very nice people, and this is a nice thread. So I'm going to slowly start reading through everyone's posts. But first: My goals

Vague goal: get to an activity level I'm happy with, without sending my pain and fatigue into an ugly spiral. So baby steps, not jumping into things just because I'm capable that day.

Complete each of the distances needed for a sprint tri, super slowly, without linking them:
Swim  750m (30 lengths)
Bike 20k (hmmm. looks like my work and back is 20k, but not continuous. I could probably test this one and get it out of the way as soon as we get a sunny day)
Run 5k (registered for a race september 9th)

Be able to do all the basic poses in my sequence without modifications. I need to work on:
headstand
plow
locust
crow

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #684 on: May 22, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »
I'm not sure if I should call this a check in or a wake up call...

Since my ankle injury in mid-April my running has been sporadic at best, I've cycled once, not been in the pool at all, and did a couple half-hearted non-cardio workouts. So yeah... Also let my diet slide a bit.

Basically I think it's time to hit the reset button. So that's what I'm going to do starting this week. Starting with some slow, easy runs for a couple of weeks just to get back on a consistent schedule and a goal of two swims each of the next two weeks (I ride my bike to the gym, so that'll ease me back into cycling too).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #685 on: May 22, 2017, 09:54:39 AM »
I'm also due for a reset! I got bored with my running. This is a problem for me =\ I ran out of routes without driving somewhere new, so I know all my route variations super well now. It's not spring anymore, so there aren't as many obvious Nature changes on my runs. And my app started having issues and making my life harder. So I have been skipping runs... only ran once per week the past two weeks. Sigh. Time to call it and change routine!

I think I want to go to a 1 day per week run- 5k followed by sprints if I'm up for them, and 2 days of lifting. Need to figure out my lifting plan. Thinking I'll work toward my first pullup from a deadhang. Anyway, need to put my program together still, but that's my basic plan.

jordanread

« Reply #686 on: May 22, 2017, 10:24:34 AM »
I'm also due for a reset! I got bored with my running. This is a problem for me =\ I ran out of routes without driving somewhere new, so I know all my route variations super well now. It's not spring anymore, so there aren't as many obvious Nature changes on my runs. And my app started having issues and making my life harder. So I have been skipping runs... only ran once per week the past two weeks. Sigh. Time to call it and change routine!

I think I want to go to a 1 day per week run- 5k followed by sprints if I'm up for them, and 2 days of lifting. Need to figure out my lifting plan. Thinking I'll work toward my first pullup from a deadhang. Anyway, need to put my program together still, but that's my basic plan.

How has Girls Gone Strong not been mentioned here so far?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #687 on: May 22, 2017, 10:28:45 AM »

No idea. But I'll share the links that came up via the dicussion on my journal:

https://stumptuous.com/the-less-thinking-more-doing-starter-program
https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/strength-training/getting-started-strength-training-true-stories-former-first-timers/

jordanread

« Reply #688 on: May 22, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »

No idea. But I'll share the links that came up via the dicussion on my journal:

https://stumptuous.com/the-less-thinking-more-doing-starter-program
https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/strength-training/getting-started-strength-training-true-stories-former-first-timers/

I'll get them added to the resource post.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #689 on: May 24, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »
Mongoose   
Lose >= 11%/bodyweight of fat
1 set/10 pushups
Complete C25K program
>= 6000 steps/day
>= 10000 steps/day

I've been hiding out doing occupational therapy so haven't posted any updates. Bad news : poorly healed torn tendon in my right hand. Good news: I graduated OT and can do...drum roll...one push up. Depending on how my hand reacts, I may have to scrap that goal.

Others: I'm down 5% on weight. Stopped focusing on loss at that point to try a period of maintaining (always immediately regained before). Easy this time so planning to start the second loss phase.

Easily getting in 7500 steps per day but still struggling to get an average of 10k in per day. Onward.

My C25K has morphed into a C2HalfMarathon. There is a localish training group and maybe I'm crazy. But there you have it. "Race" is scheduled for October 14 and my goal is to finish. I'm intimidated by the distance but going for it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #690 on: May 24, 2017, 08:40:36 AM »
Another resource came up that I thought was worth sharing on this thread! This was over on the pregnancy and baby thread. =)

Anyone looking for an exercise program, I highly recommend MommaStrong (.com, I think). It's $2 a month; she has a prenatal program, a 3-day program for diastasis recti before you do the exercises, and a few levels of workouts.  She is big on injury prevention (I think she said "it doesn't matter how many burpees you can do if you  get hurt") and recognizing that a Mom's body is an incredible thing.  SHE is super duper skinny; but her attitude is that your body is perfect, so make it work for you- it's important to be strong for your kids, not skinny for them.  It's a good program.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #691 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:12 AM »
Any advice on low/no-cost lifting equipment? I want to minimize spending, or not spend at all if possible. I do not have a gym membership. We have 4 dumbbells: 2 are 5 lbs. (so I gather these are worthless), 1 is 20 lbs, and 1 is 30 lbs. I figure I can start by focusing on bodyweight and the 2 heaviest dumbbells...but how do I add weight over time?

Personally, I think 2 kettlebells (1 relatively light for one handed work, 1 heavy for 2 handed) gives you a lot to work with. 2 handed swings, turkish getups, goblet squats, etc. Tons of options!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #692 on: May 25, 2017, 10:00:33 AM »
Any advice on low/no-cost lifting equipment? I want to minimize spending, or not spend at all if possible. I do not have a gym membership. We have 4 dumbbells: 2 are 5 lbs. (so I gather these are worthless), 1 is 20 lbs, and 1 is 30 lbs. I figure I can start by focusing on bodyweight and the 2 heaviest dumbbells...but how do I add weight over time?

Personally, I think 2 kettlebells (1 relatively light for one handed work, 1 heavy for 2 handed) gives you a lot to work with. 2 handed swings, turkish getups, goblet squats, etc. Tons of options!

For one of the better one stop shop options, I would say buy a set of bands, like this one - https://www.elitefts.com/mountain-dog-band-pack.html

Not super cheap, but at least as cheap as two kettlebells and they do have sales, or you could try an off brand. The sheer variety of exercises you can do with bands is insane though. You can replicate quite a few lifts and they pack well for travel. Lots of bodyweight options as well of course, many of which can be assisted/augmented by bands.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #693 on: May 25, 2017, 10:46:57 AM »

For one of the better one stop shop options, I would say buy a set of bands, like this one - https://www.elitefts.com/mountain-dog-band-pack.html

Not super cheap, but at least as cheap as two kettlebells and they do have sales, or you could try an off brand. The sheer variety of exercises you can do with bands is insane though. You can replicate quite a few lifts and they pack well for travel. Lots of bodyweight options as well of course, many of which can be assisted/augmented by bands.

Bands are amazing for small spaces. I had a 'door adaptor' and would do banded pull downs and a bunch of other stuff when we had a tiny apartment. That, and a DIY kettlebell for 2 handed swings and goblet squats was my poor/tiny space solution during nursing school. It won't get you mad ripped, haha, but it's enough to keep you healthy/maintenance phase.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #694 on: May 25, 2017, 12:14:19 PM »
There's also the TRX and various DIY or knockoff options. RossTraining.com is a good resource for DIY training equipment.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #695 on: May 25, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »

Freecycle and BuyNothing groups sometimes have dumbbells on offer. I do things like strap them together or grip two in one hand. So you have 5, 10, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 50 lb. weights for unilateral movements. There are also plenty of body weight exercises that you can do -- pushups, pullups, situps, pistols, planks, jumps, burpees, squat thrusts, get-ups, muscle ups, etc. There's also yoga. If you have a canvas tote bag, you can put your dumbbells and/or rocks in it to add weight for farmer's carries, rows, overhead press, goblet squat, deadlift, kettle bell type exercises. Look for other heavy things that are ergonomic to lift off the ground or over your head. Go to the local park and use the equipment there.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #696 on: May 26, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »
2017 Goals:

-Complete a set of 10 pull-ups
-Dead lift my weight 10 times
-Squat my weight 10 times
-Bench my weight 1 time
-Complete a Half Marathon under 2 hours
-Mountain bike 50 times and/or 500 miles

Been reading along, good advice as always! Doing a little check in-

Pull-ups are slow after finally doing my first one in mid-March since my injury last year I'm still only at 2-3 but I'll keep working on it.

My weight lifting was pretty consistent the first couple months but has fallen off a ton. Starting a new program tomm with my wife so hopefully I'll get some consistency back into my routines.

Picked my Half Marathon, it's in November so ~6 months to prepare. Got a few runs in May but will really start ramping up in June.

Have mountain biked about 10 times/100 miles so far. May-October is the main prime Season so should get this moving much more rapidly. Also going to potentially train for a 75 mile event in October so that will knock off a big chunk of the goal in one day!!

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #697 on: May 27, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »
I did a half press headstand (one leg already up). YAY ! Next step, full press ! Have to work on that core.

I was afraid I would loose some strenght after eating less proteins and more carbs, but no, I'm seeing improvment.

jordanread

« Reply #698 on: May 27, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
Team, I have got to get back through some of these recent posts and updated things. I will set aside some time on Monday for that. Sorry for the delay. I know we're getting into the part of year where it becomes important to maintain momentum, but I've been letting real life get in the way. Apologies. New folks will be added, goals added and marked complete, resources added, and responses made.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #699 on: May 28, 2017, 06:11:17 AM »
Well, I ran my 5k yesterday, and I'm very glad I didn't attempt to go for the 10k. The race didn't have an elevation map available ahead of time, and there was .75 of a mile in the middle of the 5k that was basically all up hill. There was a lot of walking involved in this race. Unfortunately, that affected my time significantly, as this wound up being my slowest 5k ever (by like 8 minutes).

Equally depressing if not more so, my sister decided at the last minute that she wanted to run too, and after having never run a 5k and not having trained for the race, her time was only 2 minutes slower than mine.

Sigh. Makes me wonder why I've been bothering to train, as it doesn't seem to be helping much.