Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172618 times)

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #600 on: April 03, 2017, 10:13:07 AM »
Also, use2betrix hit the nail on the head in regards to the six pack, but I did leave in the ab work goal.

Thanks Use2betrix & Jordanread.  Probably true on the abs, but I'm not ready to admit it.  A quick search suggests I'd need to get to 15% BF or less, and I think even when I was at that % many years ago, I don't think I had ab definition.  Maybe a 2 pk.  So I think I have work to do.   Plus I have those ab separation issues from pregnancy (diastasis recti?)  A quick search on fixing that suggests I should avoid regular ab exercises and planking.  Anyone here have suggestions on that?  I tried some recommended ones this AM, but feeling meh about them.

No suggestions on the ab separation issues, as I've never heard of it. How long is your slackline? I have a 25 meter one but haven't practiced hardly at all this year. It is by the computer, so I was hoping to get good via osmosis, but I don't think that will work.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #601 on: April 03, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »
Also, use2betrix hit the nail on the head in regards to the six pack, but I did leave in the ab work goal.

Thanks Use2betrix & Jordanread.  Probably true on the abs, but I'm not ready to admit it.  A quick search suggests I'd need to get to 15% BF or less, and I think even when I was at that % many years ago, I don't think I had ab definition.  Maybe a 2 pk.  So I think I have work to do.   Plus I have those ab separation issues from pregnancy (diastasis recti?)  A quick search on fixing that suggests I should avoid regular ab exercises and planking.  Anyone here have suggestions on that?  I tried some recommended ones this AM, but feeling meh about them.

You're definitely correct about "normal" ab work worsening diastasis recti. While I admittedly haven't given birth (or even gotten pregnant... hopefully soon!), one of my close friends found this article very helpful: https://wellnessmama.com/60398/diastasis-recti/ Katy Bowman also has a book out on it, named "diastasis recti". She can be woo-y, but she's got a great background in PT and I've always found her physiology to be spot on. Again, I haven't personally used these resources, but I have used the same people's sources for other things and found them solidly helpful.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #602 on: April 04, 2017, 06:31:01 AM »
First quarter check in.  Making good progress on my upper body strengthening goal.  I can do two pushups now in good form.  I think I'll probably exceed my goal of 5 pushups before the end of the year.  Still not close to doing a hanging pull up, but am getting stronger.  I can hang from the bar for a long time now (hands/forearms stronger and bad shoulder cooperating) and I am doing lat pulldowns three times a week.  Will be so excited if I can make it to a pull up. 

DH modified our workout room to include an awesome hand-over-hand monkeybar track that runs the length of the room along the ceiling.  Can't do that yet, but that is another thing I will work toward.  DH and our kids use it, and it looks like a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:36:56 AM by Trifele »

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #603 on: April 04, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »
I may hop in this thread just to keep myself accountable and because i am bored af at work right now.

I typically lift 5 days a week and hate cardio. Me and a buddy just switched to a program lifting 3 days per week and doing some HIIT cardio 2 days per week. I will probably throw in another day of cardio and some body weight stuff one day on the weekend and maybe add some cardio during our lifting days.

I typically hang around 188-193lbs..lately it has been closer to 193. Yesterday i weighed in at 195.8 after a weekend of drinking and eating like complete shit. I have no real big fitness goals or aspirations. My main motivating factor and goal is to just not become another office statistic and maintain a healthy blood panel. With that said, i would like to loose some weight.

April 3rd actual - 195.8
June 2nd goal - 182.8

That is 13 pounds in 9 weeks. Guess i better get to it then. Far less drinking, a much cleaner diet (especially on weekends), and a bunch more cardio. Hopefully those things combined will do the trick.

jordanread

« Reply #604 on: April 04, 2017, 07:17:10 AM »
I may hop in this thread just to keep myself accountable and because i am bored af at work right now.

I typically lift 5 days a week and hate cardio. Me and a buddy just switched to a program lifting 3 days per week and doing some HIIT cardio 2 days per week. I will probably throw in another day of cardio and some body weight stuff one day on the weekend and maybe add some cardio during our lifting days.

I typically hang around 188-193lbs..lately it has been closer to 193. Yesterday i weighed in at 195.8 after a weekend of drinking and eating like complete shit. I have no real big fitness goals or aspirations. My main motivating factor and goal is to just not become another office statistic and maintain a healthy blood panel. With that said, i would like to loose some weight.

April 3rd actual - 195.8
June 2nd goal - 182.8

That is 13 pounds in 9 weeks. Guess i better get to it then. Far less drinking, a much cleaner diet (especially on weekends), and a bunch more cardio. Hopefully those things combined will do the trick.

Welcome Andy! You want me to just add the weight loss goal?

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #605 on: April 04, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »

April 3rd actual - 195.8
June 2nd goal - 182.8

Welcome Andy! You want me to just add the weight loss goal?
yea...why the hell not...

jordanread

« Reply #606 on: April 04, 2017, 07:48:06 AM »
yea...why the hell not...
PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE!

I've got you added to the participant tracking post. Welcome.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #607 on: April 04, 2017, 09:03:28 AM »
Yesterday I "graduated" from PT for my right shoulder. They gave me a t-shirt and a home exercise routine. I set up my home gym area to make the equipment I need accessible and did my first workout this morning. It's all high rep, low weight stuff. It gets lots of blood flowing into the joint. I get a nice pump from it - very bodybuilder like :)

I am highly motivated to keep this from happening again. Aside from being painful, I have spent over $1500 and driven almost 800 miles to get this fixed.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #608 on: April 04, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
Yesterday I "graduated" from PT for my right shoulder. They gave me a t-shirt and a home exercise routine. I set up my home gym area to make the equipment I need accessible and did my first workout this morning. It's all high rep, low weight stuff. It gets lots of blood flowing into the joint. I get a nice pump from it - very bodybuilder like :)

I am highly motivated to keep this from happening again. Aside from being painful, I have spent over $1500 and driven almost 800 miles to get this fixed.

Yay graduation! And I'm so glad to hear you're committed to staying on top of the home exercises. I didn't, after my neck injury, and I regret it all the damn time.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #609 on: April 04, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »

Yay graduation! And I'm so glad to hear you're committed to staying on top of the home exercises. I didn't, after my neck injury, and I regret it all the damn time.

I've been doing daily exercises and stretching all along. This is just a little more involved. The cause of my injury - basically bad posture and overuse - means I could easily mess myself up again. Can't have that, it's Unmustachian!

jordanread

« Reply #610 on: April 04, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
The cause of my injury - basically bad posture and overuse - means I could easily mess myself up again. Can't have that, it's Unmustachian!

That is going on the list of top 10 quotes of all time from the S&F threads.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #611 on: April 04, 2017, 12:31:59 PM »
The cause of my injury - basically bad posture and overuse - means I could easily mess myself up again. Can't have that, it's Unmustachian!

That is going on the list of top 10 quotes of all time from the S&F threads.

I'm honored!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #612 on: April 04, 2017, 04:48:02 PM »
How long is your slackline? I have a 25 meter one but haven't practiced hardly at all this year. It is by the computer, so I was hoping to get good via osmosis, but I don't think that will work.

I think I'll be doing osmosis too.  One tree in the backyard.  Side yard has "rubble".  Front yard....well, I live on the world's busiest street and I'm not sure I have the chutzpah to practice out front.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #613 on: April 04, 2017, 05:55:54 PM »
Well, I'm almost at the end of the C25K program that I'm doing. Technically the next run I'm supposed to do should be the 5k length, but I don't think I'm quite ready for it yet. I may throw in an extra workout or two before trying the full 5k, just to get myself feeling a bit more comfortable. I did, however, check my calendar today and I'm still on track to hit 10k the weekend of memorial day, which is a race I'm thinking of running. Oh, and my husband just decided he may want to do a 5k the first weekend in June, which would actually work perfectly with my plan to cut my distance the week after the 10k. Fingers crossed he wants to stick with it.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #614 on: April 05, 2017, 12:32:20 PM »
I felt inspired by House of Cards today. For those who have never seen the show, at one point the main character's wife gives him a rowing machine and tells him to start using it. From that point, the rowing machine shows up every so often in scenes. The place I'm renting at currently has a pretty decked out gym that is free for residents to use. I decided to try the rowing machine. I've never used one before because it looked intimidating for some reason.

I simultaneously feel good and feel like it kicked my butt. I rowed for about 17 minutes, and was out of steam at that point. Going to try to see how far I can up that amount before I move out. :D

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #615 on: April 05, 2017, 12:36:25 PM »
I felt inspired by House of Cards today. For those who have never seen the show, at one point the main character's wife gives him a rowing machine and tells him to start using it. From that point, the rowing machine shows up every so often in scenes. The place I'm renting at currently has a pretty decked out gym that is free for residents to use. I decided to try the rowing machine. I've never used one before because it looked intimidating for some reason.

I simultaneously feel good and feel like it kicked my butt. I rowed for about 17 minutes, and was out of steam at that point. Going to try to see how far I can up that amount before I move out. :D

Just be sure to check your form! I've seen some people row with really bad form.

Super awesome though. I'm really jealous. I would LOVE a rower for our home gym, but good ones are $800+ =(

jordanread

« Reply #616 on: April 05, 2017, 12:52:15 PM »

Just be sure to check your form! I've seen some people row with really bad form.

Super awesome though. I'm really jealous. I would LOVE a rower for our home gym, but good ones are $800+ =(

Oh man. I have a rower on the bowflex (and a squat attachment, preacher curl, etc), and it is quite the burn. I'm almost at the point of giving it away, since I've dropped the price by $400, and haven't had a single email. I'd offer to send it to you for shipping, but I'm pretty sure shipping would be around $800. :) I forgot about rows though. They are ridiculously fun.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #617 on: April 05, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »

Yeah, the rower felt good. I liked that it felt like I was getting more of a workout than, say, a treadmill. I don't know why the treadmill seems so super popular when I don't feel like I get anything different from just taking a run outside. The rowing motion is hard to get without water nearby and a boat you can row with! It was way more fun than running on a treadmill too. The time I was on it went by fast!

I took your advice on form and watched some videos on YouTube of how to do it correctly. I *think* I did it mostly correctly (I saw a few places where I could definitely improve!), but the gym's mirrors aren't visible from the rowing machine. I'll have to take someone down there with me one day so they can give me feedback. The time of day I usually use the gym no one else is there.

I already think I'm going to miss it when I move!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #618 on: April 05, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »

Yeah, the rower felt good. I liked that it felt like I was getting more of a workout than, say, a treadmill. I don't know why the treadmill seems so super popular when I don't feel like I get anything different from just taking a run outside. The rowing motion is hard to get without water nearby and a boat you can row with! It was way more fun than running on a treadmill too. The time I was on it went by fast!

I took your advice on form and watched some videos on YouTube of how to do it correctly. I *think* I did it mostly correctly (I saw a few places where I could definitely improve!), but the gym's mirrors aren't visible from the rowing machine. I'll have to take someone down there with me one day so they can give me feedback. The time of day I usually use the gym no one else is there.

I already think I'm going to miss it when I move!

Glad I could help! =) And you can always opt for propping up your phone and filming a bit of your row to give you a good idea. Can't see it from multiple angles like if someone is helping you though. I struggle with that with running stride all the time. Just end up hauling my husband out on a run with me and having him check my form, haha.

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #619 on: April 05, 2017, 02:51:57 PM »
Haven't checked in since the start of the new thread.  Rack Pull has been increasing nicely.  375 lbs for several sets of 3.  I backed off for a few weeks because I thought I may have pulled something in my abdomen/gotten a hernia.  After a bit of achiness the next few days I haven't had any issues.

I'm kind of in limbo with moving for the next few weeks so I'm getting used to a different gym and not having regular meals.  Gains are on hold, just working for maintenance for now.

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #620 on: April 06, 2017, 01:32:00 AM »
March check-in:

Totals from my Garmin for Feb (And annual goal progress):
13 runs for 63 miles (no goal for running)
9 bodyweight workouts (a little ahead of schedule for the year)
17 yoga classes (ahead of schedule for the year)

Strength progress (context is the Reddit bodyweightfitness recommended routine):
Moved on to ring dips and they are kicking my butt. I can do 6, but my arms shake and it feels a little out of control. I think it's improving now after a couple of weeks.  Pullups have not improved at all, in fact might have regressed a little, still at 8 on the first set then 7/6. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? It may be because I'm gaining a bit of weight too.
Figured out I can do three sets of 8 ring pushups if I change my form a little to put my hands directly under my shoulders instead of back by my ribs. I don't think it's cheating, just maximum leverage. Now I moved the rings back to my ribs again to make it harder on purpose. I have to admit, it did give me an ego boost to figure out I can do 3 sets of 8 the other way.
Still working tuck front lever but it's hard to tell progress since the difficulty changes immensely with my leg position. I took a video but it's not very good because I'm doing it in a doorframe pullup bar and you can't see my whole back in the video. I'll have to make a special trip to a park near my house to do a better form check video.

Flexibility progress:
I increased my passive stretching time in the evenings and I started to notice a little more hamstring progress in my left leg, but my right leg is not cooperating. I think it has an issue. I'm going to try to see a PT this month.

Running:
Increased mileage a little in March. Planning to add more hill work and keep increasing distance in April.

jordanread

« Reply #621 on: April 09, 2017, 12:22:32 PM »
Quarterly statistics.

Didn't have time to put in the unit abbreviations. Weight is in lbs and kg, everything else is inches and cm. The shoulders, chest, and waist are all very cool to see. A lot less barrel like currently. And this is way more than sustainable.

Abooki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #622 on: April 11, 2017, 06:47:27 AM »
I will join. May be late but here I am.

Goals
1. Workout everyday (doing so good so far)
2.Abs definition by the end of the year
3. Gain muscle and tone

Stats currently
-5'7
-135 pounds

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #623 on: April 11, 2017, 07:17:34 AM »
Just a quick update here.
HAven't been doing as many walks/bikerides etc as I would like, but I have been making an effort to do the Blogilates beginners calender. (Pilates).
I'm currently on day 10, and today I discovered I can actually fit a top that I haven't worn for several years due to having gained weight. Used to be too tight around both the belly and the arms, and there is definitely some slack there now.
I did manage to get the kayak out yesterday, so pretty happy about that.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #624 on: April 11, 2017, 08:00:06 AM »
Just finished my garage gym at the beginning of the year, and started on the 5x5 program.  Goal for the year is hit 5x5 @225 lbs consistently.  Yesterday's workout was @135 lbs, so assuming the program works perfectly it should take 1 1/2 more months to hit.  In my past experience it doesn't go that quickly, so we'll see what happens.

Once I'm doing 2 plates for reps consistently, I'll reassess whether I want to go heavier or change it up.  Likely I'll go back to Olympic lifting or crossfit at that point for fun and just maintain the squat strength.  A few years ago I was squatting that much, but also doing Olympic lifting and crossfit and ended up overworking myself and hurting my knee.  Injury prevention is a priority this go around.

Increasing flexibility is another big goal for the year, but isn't as measurable to me.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #625 on: April 11, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »
Well, I reached the end of my C25K trainer, which theoretically means I should be able to run a 5k. However, for the  first time of doing this program (which I've done like 3-4 times) I can't seem to complete the full distance. I'm getting extremely frustrated with myself because running has never felt quite this hard before in the 5 or so years that I've been doing it. I'm running so slowly that it practically counts as walking and yet I'm almost gasping for air in the middle of my workout.

Does anyone know anything about exercise induced asthma? I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a reason for all of my troubles...

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: April 11, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »
Completed by first triathlon for the year - placed 3rd in my age group! I hoped to podium this year (but it wasn't on my official goal list) and I made it on the first go. :)

Maintaining a sensible training schedule - slower than last year w/ hopes of not exhausting myself and over training. So far so good. I do need more time to swim - but that will be easier over the summer.

Ran 5 miles - no walking - this morning. This is the longest successful run for me. Minimal knee pain and my shins are complaining a bit this morning. I'm icing and will have a PT appointment tomorrow.

I have my first 10K in about 2 weeks. Hope to hold a 9 min pace. Race is mostly slightly downhill and is known for PRs.

Next tri is mid or late May (I can't remember).

Also - exercise = I can eat all the things!  Running leaves me absolutely famished.

jordanread

« Reply #627 on: April 12, 2017, 05:08:21 AM »
I will join. May be late but here I am.

Goals
1. Workout everyday (doing so good so far)
2.Abs definition by the end of the year
3. Gain muscle and tone

Stats currently
-5'7
-135 pounds

Welcome to the gauntlet. I've got you added to the participant tracking post. I broke up your last goal into two, one for gaining muscle, and one for increasing tone. Subjective vs. objective goals essentially. It sounds like you are in the increase mirror lust camp, although i just mentioned it because mirror lust is fun to say/type.

I'm currently on day 10, and today I discovered I can actually fit a top that I haven't worn for several years due to having gained weight. Used to be too tight around both the belly and the arms, and there is definitely some slack there now.
I did manage to get the kayak out yesterday, so pretty happy about that.

That is awesome all around!!

Just finished my garage gym at the beginning of the year, and started on the 5x5 program.  Goal for the year is hit 5x5 @225 lbs consistently.  Yesterday's workout was @135 lbs, so assuming the program works perfectly it should take 1 1/2 more months to hit.  In my past experience it doesn't go that quickly, so we'll see what happens.

Once I'm doing 2 plates for reps consistently, I'll reassess whether I want to go heavier or change it up.  Likely I'll go back to Olympic lifting or crossfit at that point for fun and just maintain the squat strength.  A few years ago I was squatting that much, but also doing Olympic lifting and crossfit and ended up overworking myself and hurting my knee.  Injury prevention is a priority this go around.

Increasing flexibility is another big goal for the year, but isn't as measurable to me.

Very cool. I still don't have any official goals for you. Not a big deal, but if you want something specific, just post, and I'll get you added within a day or two.

Completed by first triathlon for the year - placed 3rd in my age group! I hoped to podium this year (but it wasn't on my official goal list) and I made it on the first go. :)

That is amazing. Great job!!

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: April 12, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »

Very cool. I still don't have any official goals for you. Not a big deal, but if you want something specific, just post, and I'll get you added within a day or two.

5x5 @ 225 lbs Squat by 12/31/17, thanks!

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #629 on: April 18, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »
I have achieved another one of my goals: retrieving my bike. Unfortunately, the goal doesn't really feel finished yet, since the bike needs work before I'll feel safe riding it. The bike shop that I could have easily gotten it to closed a couple of months ago, and I want a better way to get it to another bike shop (already recommended by a fellow forum member!) than taking the front wheel off and stuffing it awkwardly in the back of my car.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a car bike rack, or suggestions for how to find one that's appropriate for the car I have?

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #630 on: April 18, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a car bike rack, or suggestions for how to find one that's appropriate for the car I have?

I have the Saris Bones 2-bike now because it was recommended on The Wirecutter. It's working out well. For a previous car I used to have whatever cheap 2-bike rack comes up highest in the Amazon search results (Allen Sports Deluxe, I think). Honestly, that one worked great and it was cheaper.

As for which cars it will work with, these racks and this style of rack in general attach to the car using long straps that make them super adjustable and will fit on almost any car, whether sedan or hatchback.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #631 on: April 18, 2017, 03:09:25 PM »
Quarterly statistics.

Didn't have time to put in the unit abbreviations. Weight is in lbs and kg, everything else is inches and cm. The shoulders, chest, and waist are all very cool to see. A lot less barrel like currently. And this is way more than sustainable.

Two thumbs up

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #632 on: April 19, 2017, 08:32:20 AM »

I have the Saris Bones 2-bike now because it was recommended on The Wirecutter. It's working out well. For a previous car I used to have whatever cheap 2-bike rack comes up highest in the Amazon search results (Allen Sports Deluxe, I think). Honestly, that one worked great and it was cheaper.

As for which cars it will work with, these racks and this style of rack in general attach to the car using long straps that make them super adjustable and will fit on almost any car, whether sedan or hatchback.

Great, thanks! Part of my problem is that when I searched, I was getting either the type of rack that goes on the back of the bike or the stationary type that you lock the bike to--and then one that attached to a car with a rear external spare tire. So I wasn't sure what the options were out there.

Now that I've found the correct Amazon category, I can review them properly. Plus, Amazon seems to have (for at least one rack) specs to tell you whether it will fit on your car. The Allen Sports Deluxe may well be what I end up going with.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #633 on: April 19, 2017, 09:34:59 AM »
After a slow start to the year, I'm back on track (and even slightly ahead of schedule) on my bike-to-work goal.  I've ridden 9 days of the 26 I'd targeted.  That's 34% of goal and 32% of the way through the time allotted to reach that goal.  I need to keep this up now (riding 2-3x per week for the past few weeks), because I know it will drop off in the summer heat.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #634 on: April 19, 2017, 04:25:52 PM »
I have achieved another one of my goals: retrieving my bike. Unfortunately, the goal doesn't really feel finished yet, since the bike needs work before I'll feel safe riding it. The bike shop that I could have easily gotten it to closed a couple of months ago, and I want a better way to get it to another bike shop (already recommended by a fellow forum member!) than taking the front wheel off and stuffing it awkwardly in the back of my car.

Sorry I missed this.

I use the built in roof racks on my Subaru Outback and have attached two of the Yakima Frontloader racks.  They fit bikes from 20" up to 29" wheel size and only hold the bike by the wheels.  Those Frontloaders have survived both this car and my previous car where I used them in combo with Whispbar roof racks.

With a rear rack that is attached to the tow hitch on the car, a mate has a Thule Euro Ride 3 on his car and it's reasonably easy to use, just sometimes a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to fit the bikes in.  Another mate has a simple two bike one that clamps over the towball itself, he also has my old Whispbar roof racks and uses Thule ProRide racks.

I have room for one more bike rack for the roof and I will probably pick up a Thule ProRide that way I can transport the bike I have with fenders, as fenders aren't compatible with the Yakima Frontloader front wheel clamp.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #635 on: April 20, 2017, 07:19:07 AM »
Thanks, GT! I don't think your suggestions will be helpful as we have neither a roof rack nor a tow hitch, but I appreciate it all the same :)

And of course now that I've posted and gotten advice on everything, I found a couple of people selling racks locally on Craigslist, so hopefully we will be picking one up on Saturday for $20.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #636 on: April 20, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »
Thanks, GT! I don't think your suggestions will be helpful as we have neither a roof rack nor a tow hitch, but I appreciate it all the same :)

And of course now that I've posted and gotten advice on everything, I found a couple of people selling racks locally on Craigslist, so hopefully we will be picking one up on Saturday for $20.

That's OK, you could always buy roof racks and then add bike racks to it.  But if you're getting something off CL for $20, then you're sorted and in a MMM way too.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: April 24, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »
Ran my first ever 10k. It was fun! I didn't die! I was hoping for. 9 minute pace and managed 8:47. Vey happy with myself. Being more sensible with my training this year is paying off. It was literally the farthest I have run ever. I hadn't done the distance in training. Making a 10 k was a huge accomplishment for me. It also opens the door to do an Olympic distance tri at some point.

I have an hour now, paid for by work, to exercise 3 mornings per week. I have to get up at 4:45 to do it. I haven't missed a day. This is huge for me and has really helped my running. If I run fewer than 3 days per week I just can't seem to manage to make any progress in terms of speed or stamina

I am being more disciplined in taking care of my legs in recovery with ice and foam roller. Makes a huge difference. Getting dry needling at PT which is also aswesome and effective and so painful.

Next triathlon will be May 21 or so. Lake swim. Likely to be cold. I need to get out in my wetsuit and spend some time in it (short term goal) because I hate it so much and I am unaccustomed to it.

Here I am after the race looking pleased with myself.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:11:07 PM by MsPeacock »

jordanread

« Reply #638 on: April 24, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »
Bad Ass!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #639 on: April 24, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
That's awesome! And your arms look great in that photo, it rocks!

10k is my next goal. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out- a couple weeks ago I dropped down to 2 times per week running from 3 times per week. I wonder if it'll slow my progress. So far I haven't struggled to hit the milestones in the program I'm following. If I do, I will definitely re-evaluate my dropped run.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #640 on: April 24, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »
Cracked out a 100km ride on the single speed, sub 4hrs, which is decent enough when you're on your own and not drafting in a pack.

Feeling a bit weird, then I remembered I donated blood yesterday.  Dag, probably shouldn't have ridden so far.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #641 on: April 25, 2017, 06:16:23 AM »
Ran a half marathon on Saturday. Went out way too hard for my fitness (those three weeks off in March were not great), paid for it in second half of the race (major positive split). Also, who knew Kansas had so many hills?! I would say it was a wake up call, but frankly, I knew it would be a suffer fest and it was for the last three miles. Now I just need to build back to where I was pre-injury so I can have a solid base going into a summer of racing shorter distances and then hopefully build to a fall half PR per my start of the year goals.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #642 on: April 25, 2017, 07:10:41 AM »
New strength goal: get back to my beginning of  year levels of strength.

Surgery is done, but I've got 4 more weeks of not lifting anything over 20 pounds, then the slow grind back from starting at very light weights to be sure I don't tear myself apart again.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #643 on: April 25, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »
MsPeacock - awesome!! Great to get over the 10k hurdle.

GT - That's an impressive ride for being down a liter of blood!

hudsoncat - way to keep going despite the suffering.

Brute - so sorry about the injury. No doubt you will get your strength back.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #644 on: April 25, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »
This year I've been hitting the gym for a 30-min bootcamp pretty consistently at 2-3x a week + a 1-2mi jog a week. I know this is the very bare mimimum for some people, but for me it is my first real fitness routine for the first time in my life!

I regret not taking photos at the beginning of the year so I can figure out if my shoulder definition is real or imagined. My weight hasn't shifted one bit, but I'm hoping there's SOME body recomposition that's happened in there...

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #645 on: April 25, 2017, 05:14:13 PM »
GT - That's an impressive ride for being down a liter of blood!

We only get tapped for 500mL here, but yeah, not the smartest thing I could have done.  I have raced in the weekend following a blood donation earlier in the week and felt rat shit during that too.  Its something I told myself I'd never do again.

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #646 on: April 26, 2017, 12:41:32 AM »
flan, 3 or 4 times per week consistently of some exercise is a big deal. To me just getting any exercise habit started is the hardest part, especially if it's the first time in your life!

Bracken_Joy, what prompted you to drop down from 3 runs per week/which program are you following? 2 runs per week is less than I've seen recommended in my reading about running training.

MsPeacock, way to meet your 10k time and distance goal! That's a big threshold to cross. I think there is some mental or physical barrier right around 5 or 6 miles...once you can run that far, I think it's a lot easier to progress to running even farther (if you decide you want to).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #647 on: April 26, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »
Bracken_Joy, what prompted you to drop down from 3 runs per week/which program are you following? 2 runs per week is less than I've seen recommended in my reading about running training.

Just schedule constraints. As we go into spring, there are a lot of house and gardening projects that are demanding time. And in THEORY, if it ever stops friggin raining and all our trailheads sop being mud bogs, we'll get back to weekly hikes.

Saturday was my running day I dropped. Saturdays are now 'work outside' days. If there's a big yard/garden project to do, we do it, or a hike, we'll do that, otherwise DH and I will be going over to the local food bank garden and volunteering for 4 hours together. So far it's been a lot of garden work. (Although this Saturday it was the March for Science and Sunday was garden work).

The other part of the plan is that it should remove some knee soreness for me, so that I can get back to doing some more lifting, now that DH is around again to make me remind me coach me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #648 on: April 26, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
This year I've been hitting the gym for a 30-min bootcamp pretty consistently at 2-3x a week + a 1-2mi jog a week. I know this is the very bare mimimum for some people, but for me it is my first real fitness routine for the first time in my life!

I regret not taking photos at the beginning of the year so I can figure out if my shoulder definition is real or imagined. My weight hasn't shifted one bit, but I'm hoping there's SOME body recomposition that's happened in there...

This is super exciting! Good job. I'm going to credit your AWESOME teammates on Habitica for this one ;) Mwahaha.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #649 on: April 26, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »

This is super exciting! Good job. I'm going to credit your AWESOME teammates on Habitica for this one ;) Mwahaha.
Totally! Speaking of... I need to add a fitness goal in. (I have achieved daily showers (I know gross... but seriously!) as my biggest new habit I'm proud of.)