Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172610 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #450 on: February 19, 2017, 01:03:17 PM »
Well, today was both a little alarming and very informative. Had DH run behind me on my C25k run today. Turns out, when I think my feet are both pointing forward? The right one actually points out slightly, and I'm lightly collapsing my arch each stride. Left is totally straight. Ugh. So on the next running cycle, I tried "forcing" my foot straight. This resulted in a slight improvement, but I was also landing too much on the outside of my foot. Knowing what I know about the weak areas of my body, the next cycle of running I tried tensing my iliopsoas muscles and dropping my tail bone, and focusing on a very slow jog. (It nearly felt like I was leaning back, but DH assured me I wasn't at all- just very upright). Anyway, this seems to be the ticket- fixed my stride and just exhausted the hell out of my vastus lateralus (outside portion of the quads) and my calves. But especially on the right side. Oh, and my psoas is just done now.

So... yay, I found a solution and know why my knee is hurting. Boo, turns out I have some serious muscle weaknesses I wasn't aware of and also less body awareness for alignment that I realized.

Gameplan is this:
-Keep doing C25K nice and slow with new modified running form
-Work on doing a modified active squat- blocking my feet together in the middle, with knees pressed out. And not relying on my flexibility to just drop into the squat and rest on my laurels and not keep an active pose ;)
-I've started sleeping with a pillow under/between my knees. I think I cross my left leg on top of my right knee when I sleep, and thus hyperextend my knee while I'm sleeping.
-Keep going with the "clamshells" to strengthen some of my weak as hell hip muscles

Anyway, that's the game plan for now. Anyone have good exercises/resources for strengthening your feet arches? I don't have a particularly weak arch, but I have a very high one, so it's probably a good idea since I've been collapsing on the right.

Helmet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #451 on: February 19, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »

Anyway, that's the game plan for now. Anyone have good exercises/resources for strengthening your feet arches? I don't have a particularly weak arch, but I have a very high one, so it's probably a good idea since I've been collapsing on the right.

I had a similar problem with my right arch about a year ago -- my arch is good but collapsed with each step. I found the pen/penny exercise helpful: standing, put a coin under the ball of the foot and a pen or pencil under the arch. Press down on the coin without touching the pen. Once you figure out what activating those muscles feels like, you don't really need the objects and can do this pretty much any time. A search for ballet foot warm up and strength may give you some more ideas but it may make you feel like you just have blocks of cement for feet (it did for me, but they help too!).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #452 on: February 19, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »

I had a similar problem with my right arch about a year ago -- my arch is good but collapsed with each step. I found the pen/penny exercise helpful: standing, put a coin under the ball of the foot and a pen or pencil under the arch. Press down on the coin without touching the pen. Once you figure out what activating those muscles feels like, you don't really need the objects and can do this pretty much any time. A search for ballet foot warm up and strength may give you some more ideas but it may make you feel like you just have blocks of cement for feet (it did for me, but they help too!).

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you =)

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #453 on: February 20, 2017, 07:47:54 AM »
I'm coming to join this party!
I posted last year, but struggled to add fitness (was solo parenting off and on for months at a time, partner lost his job etc) so I'm coming back to rejoin this bandwagon.

My goals:
I think I was the one who had the 'mirror-lust' goal and that still stands. I went shopping for some pants for a job interview today, and was mortified to discover I'm now a size 18. I'm I'm going to use that as a kick in the pants to eat better, and to get moving more. (Not really looking for face punches please)

General stuff - my partner gave me a kayak for Christmas, so I want to use it at least once a week.
I'm going to try to convince my toddler that strollers really are ok, so I can go for a decent walk (he normally walks next to me, but stopping every 2.5 seconds for toys/stones/cuddles/distractions/meltdowns gets old in a hurry.
Also go biking once a week, we have a trail-gator that attaches Mr Toddlers bike to an adults, will see if I can attach to mine, so I can go for a boie ride even if my partner isn't around. If not, I'm going to see if I can attach my kayak to the bike and tow it to the river.

Not really sure how I'm going to go about the eating better, but there is some low hanging fruit (biscuits, chocolate, icecream etc) that I'm going to stop buying, despite what I'm sure will be desperate proteste

jordanread

« Reply #454 on: February 21, 2017, 02:50:54 PM »
I'm coming to join this party!

FK, I've got you added to the participant tracking post.

As far as mirror lust goes, I am beginning to notice that I am getting some shadows on the mid section (YAY!!). My weight is coming down, but a lot slower than previous times I've stopped drinking to excess. I'm guessing it's because I'm not doing enough vigorous activity to offset a caloric surplus. I still do the strength training, but that is not cardio intensive in the least. Pure strength. But, weight is still dropping. I think I'm running at consistently 185-188lbs. That's at least 7lbs, which is actually pretty good when I do the math, but I'm really use to not weighing often, so the numbers being a lot bigger. I'm feeling pretty good though.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #455 on: February 22, 2017, 04:07:28 PM »
I'm going to join.

I'm trying to get myself back into running. Several years ago I was doing really well. I ran a 5K, then a 10K, then was signed up for a half marathon when I got injured. Since then I tend to be an on again off again runner, and I'm trying to get myself back into doing it more regularly.  I have just started C25k (again!) and I'm on week 3. My goals are:

• Run three times a week until May
  • Run a 10K race on May 28 (or at least the equivalent of a race if I don't manage to sign up for the race itself)
  • Run four times a week starting in June
  • Run a half marathon October 8

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: February 22, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »
My garage gym supplies are starting to show up and I'm excited!

I have a ~900lb freight shipment getting dropped off tomorrow. Thanks to a crazy Valentine's Day sale I stumbled upon, I scored a high quality power rack, 1000lb rated adjustable bench, power bar, and 500lbs in plates for just over $1000 with free shipping (from Chicago!). MSRP on all of those is almost $2000 and I can't believe they shipped something so heavy for free. Honestly not sure I could have done much better via craigslist without spending many months stalking it, and all of this is brand spanking new to boot. Either way, I only get to pretend the expense is mustachian because I was paying $260/month in gym fees previously, but whatever. This is by far my most serious hobby and I will make good use of all of this for years to come.

Never had something shipped by freight before. It looks like the delivery guy is not allowed to help me unload it. I'm assuming they'll give me enough time to take everything off the truck and check for missing/damaged items. Anyone ever receive a shipment like this before?

Next steps: building a deadlift platform, picking up a few more odds and ends, spending many hours putting everything together, and then I'll be ready rock and roll. I feel stupid celebrating such a large purchase on a forum like this, but screw it. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #457 on: February 22, 2017, 04:33:28 PM »
I'm going to join.

I'm trying to get myself back into running. Several years ago I was doing really well. I ran a 5K, then a 10K, then was signed up for a half marathon when I got injured. Since then I tend to be an on again off again runner, and I'm trying to get myself back into doing it more regularly.  I have just started C25k (again!) and I'm on week 3. My goals are:

• Run three times a week until May
  • Run a 10K race on May 28 (or at least the equivalent of a race if I don't manage to sign up for the race itself)
  • Run four times a week starting in June
  • Run a half marathon October 8

Hey! I'm on week 3 also (3rd run of it is tomorrow).

Welcome to the gauntlet.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #458 on: February 22, 2017, 04:34:53 PM »

I have a ~900lb freight shipment getting dropped off tomorrow. Thanks to a crazy Valentine's Day sale I stumbled upon, I scored a high quality power rack, 1000lb rated adjustable bench, power bar, and 500lbs in plates for just over $1000 with free shipping (from Chicago!). MSRP on all of those is almost $2000 and I can't believe they shipped something so heavy for free. Honestly not sure I could have done much better via craigslist without spending many months stalking it, and all of this is brand spanking new to boot. Either way, I only get to pretend the expense is mustachian because I was paying $260/month in gym fees previously, but whatever. This is by far my most serious hobby and I will make good use of all of this for years to come.

Never had something shipped by freight before. It looks like the delivery guy is not allowed to help me unload it. I'm assuming they'll give me enough time to take everything off the truck and check for missing/damaged items. Anyone ever receive a shipment like this before?

Next steps: building a deadlift platform, picking up a few more odds and ends, spending many hours putting everything together, and then I'll be ready rock and roll. I feel stupid celebrating such a large purchase on a forum like this, but screw it. :)

That's awesome! I request (demand?) progress photos of the home gym =)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #459 on: February 22, 2017, 04:41:50 PM »

Will definitely keep you guys updated with photos. On a tangentially related note, flags are always fun decorations for gyms. I wonder if MMM would mind if I co-opted his front page logo to order a custom one? :)

Also, when it's finished, you guys are all welcome to come lift if you are ever visiting the Silicon Valley area!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2017, 04:43:10 PM »

Will definitely keep you guys updated with photos. On a tangentially related note, flags are always fun decorations for gyms. I wonder if MMM would mind if I co-opted his front page logo to order a custom one? :)

Also, when it's finished, you guys are all welcome to come lift if you are ever visiting the Silicon Valley area!

I have a sibling down there, so there's a chance SirB and I will take you up on that sometime in the fall! =D

The flag idea is awesome. I wonder if I can talk SirB into one for our gym...

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: February 22, 2017, 05:14:59 PM »
I have a sibling down there, so there's a chance SirB and I will take you up on that sometime in the fall! =D

Absolutely! Feel free to drop me a PM if you guys are ever in town. Plus, Mrs. L is the type to bake things for guests, so there's the potential added bonus of delicious, homemade, post-workout carbs :D

First look at custom flags and they seem pricey! I've only checked out one website so far, but it was quoting $50 for a 2'x3' flag and over $70 for a 3'x5'. I feel like such a purchase, with the MMM logo on it, might be somehow sacrilegious...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #462 on: February 22, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »

Absolutely! Feel free to drop me a PM if you guys are ever in town. Plus, Mrs. L is the type to bake things for guests, so there's the potential added bonus of delicious, homemade, post-workout carbs :D

First look at custom flags and they seem pricey! I've only checked out one website so far, but it was quoting $50 for a 2'x3' flag and over $70 for a 3'x5'. I feel like such a purchase, with the MMM logo on it, might be somehow sacrilegious...

Ouch. JK. Maybe I'll do some paint and a drop cloth... haha.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #463 on: February 22, 2017, 05:21:43 PM »
How much did you think they would be? I'm curious. Screens are not cheap. It would cost about that  much for the screen + ink + fabric just to DIY.

Unless that quote was for digital printing, in which case that seems high.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #464 on: February 22, 2017, 05:34:33 PM »
How much did you think they would be? I'm curious. Screens are not cheap. It would cost about that  much for the screen + ink + fabric just to DIY.

Unless that quote was for digital printing, in which case that seems high.

I had no basis for comparison, never ordered anything like this before, but I suppose what you say makes sense given the cost I've seen for custom t-shirts. I guess I could just get a large print made, but it wouldn't feel the same!

ETA - I guess I was thinking about the super cheap flags I've seen on Amazon. I was looking at getting a 3'x5' Swedish flag for like $5. I'm sure it's flimsy as hell but since I'm just hanging it on an interior wall I'm not too worried about that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:36:39 PM by Lagom »

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #465 on: February 23, 2017, 07:56:15 AM »

Hopefully you'll see this before the shipment gets in. I got my rack and bench from EliteFTS via freight. It was honestly super easy. The guy got it into the lift gate for me, let me look it over, and then helped me get it into my driveway. After that I was on my own, but it wasn't too big of a deal. Basically, everything should go fine. Thats all.

jordanread

« Reply #466 on: February 23, 2017, 08:35:50 AM »
I'm going to join.

I've got you added to the participant tracking post.

Lagom, don't forget how much workout you get building all that stuff. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: February 23, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
Hopefully you'll see this before the shipment gets in. I got my rack and bench from EliteFTS via freight. It was honestly super easy. The guy got it into the lift gate for me, let me look it over, and then helped me get it into my driveway. After that I was on my own, but it wasn't too big of a deal. Basically, everything should go fine. Thats all.

Thanks, this is helpful to know in advance. My delivery window today is 10-2. Fortunately I work from home so the huge window isn't a problem.

@jordan, my workout today is most definitely going to no more than moving and setting up 1000lbs of equipment! :)

Spent last night straightening up and better organizing my garage, which was long overdue. Gotta make sure things don't look like crap if I'm posting pictures for the world to see!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #468 on: February 23, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »
Lagom - congrats on the home gym purchase. Sounds like a great investment.

The PT K-taped my shoulder today. I feel like a Crossfitter! It does seem to be helping. The head of my humerus is not quite sitting in the socket correctly, so PT is working on getting everything properly aligned. I also did approximately 750 different strengthening exercises and stretches in 40 minutes. Thank the goddesses for ice.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #469 on: February 23, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
I have a question: how many wears do you get out of sweaty gym gear before you need to wash it?

I have 2 sports bras + 2 pairs of leggings and I work out in generally very sweaty ways (running, dance, hot yoga) every day. Lately, I've been having more recurrences of a type of fungus I earned by living in India, which is harmless but essentially crops up whenever I wear tight-fighting clothing in hot places often (it doesn't help I'm immunosuppressed). I think re-wearing my sports bras and leggings a few times after simply letting them "dry" in the bathroom is to blame.

Without wearing out my clothes by constantly washing them, is my only choice to get more sports clothing? I hate to acquire new clothing, but I also hate having weird leopard spots on myself. What do you do? My leggings, even when hand washed and rung, take more than 24 hours to air dry (damn quality leggings) and I work out more frequently than that.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #470 on: February 23, 2017, 03:22:14 PM »
I'd be getting more clothing, preferably stuff that quick dries.  Get enough so you can put used stuff through a wash and still have something to wear for workouts.  Probably only have to double what you already have.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #471 on: February 23, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
Lagom,

Sounds like you got a steal on all of that equipment. I also have a garage based gym that I have pieced together over the years. My squat rack is pretty light duty (found at a yard sale) I don't know how It will hold up when I get to heavier weight. I think anything over 400 lbs would be pretty sketchy. I also have a hard time doing pull ups from it at 6'6" (my knees touch the ground if I really stretch) My bench press is something I built in high school welding class and works for now but will probably be upgraded at some point since it isn't adjustable and I can see it bowing when my friend is benching 300+ on it (my long gangly arms aren't strong enough yet to move that much weight) lol. I also have a cheap bar that doesn't roll smoothly so it makes it hard to do any Olympic lifts. I wish I would have done something like you did and just bought quality stuff that would last a lifetime. I am probably upgrading the bar this year for sure, because I want to add power cleans into my routine.  Excited to see pics of the new setup.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #472 on: February 23, 2017, 03:26:29 PM »
Yeah, I second GT- I would want more. I don't even sweat that much, and usually do a sweat-inducing workout every other day, and I still only do 1 wear for sports bras, 1 for unders, 2 for shirts, and 3+ or until they've gotten actually sweaty for shorts/capris/yoga pants.

I was definitely thinking, weeks 1-3, that couch to 5k was surpsingly easy. I was wondering when the 'tipping point' would be, and they would turn up the heat. FOUND IT. Why hello, week four, I didn't expect to add 50% to my mileage.

jordanread

« Reply #473 on: February 23, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »
This is a little bit different of a case, but when I rode around 14 miles to work, I'd sweat a lot. When I got to work, I'd jump in the shower with my jersey and bike shorts. Get them nice and soaked (no soap), hang them in the locker, and once I finished a day, put them back on for the ride home. Hung them up so the sweat would dry, and wore them the next morning. Maybe every other weekend I'd actually wash them.

I was definitely thinking, weeks 1-3, that couch to 5k was surpsingly easy. I was wondering when the 'tipping point' would be, and they would turn up the heat. FOUND IT. Why hello, week four, I didn't expect to add 50% to my mileage.

I read that comment before I read who posted it (while I was typing). I was about to say OMG, BJ said the same thing!!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: February 23, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »
Lagom,

Sounds like you got a steal on all of that equipment. I also have a garage based gym that I have pieced together over the years. My squat rack is pretty light duty (found at a yard sale) I don't know how It will hold up when I get to heavier weight. I think anything over 400 lbs would be pretty sketchy. I also have a hard time doing pull ups from it at 6'6" (my knees touch the ground if I really stretch) My bench press is something I built in high school welding class and works for now but will probably be upgraded at some point since it isn't adjustable and I can see it bowing when my friend is benching 300+ on it (my long gangly arms aren't strong enough yet to move that much weight) lol. I also have a cheap bar that doesn't roll smoothly so it makes it hard to do any Olympic lifts. I wish I would have done something like you did and just bought quality stuff that would last a lifetime. I am probably upgrading the bar this year for sure, because I want to add power cleans into my routine.  Excited to see pics of the new setup.

Man I feel you on benching with long arms. There are a few ladies at my former gym that have a range of motion of well under a foot, between being short and having crazy arches. At 6'4" with an above average wingspan for my height, mine has got to be somewhere in the 2.5'-3' range! But my build does give me monster deadlift potential, so at least there's some good with the bad.

Shipment arrived with no issues. The guy even helped me move stuff into the garage, which I don't think he's technically supposed to do. I felt bad I had no cash to tip him. The adjustable bench that came with my set is really nice, but also massive. I'll make due for now, but it will be pretty inconvenient to move around, and my butt goes right in the gap that all adjustable benches have when I am bench pressing, which is not ideal. I'll probably eventually get a flat bench to use strictly for bench pressing and just use that one for inclines, chest supported rows, overhead presses, etc. Was a major pain in the ass to assemble but this thing will last a lifetime and is definitely going to see heavy use.

Power rack was easier, but also involved manually tightening 40 bolts with a pair of pliers and a small wrench, as my socket wrench set did not fit the bolts. Also made the dubious decision to assemble it solo. Definitely were some dicey moments where the whole thing almost fell over on me. Rock solid cage though once completed. Knocked out some pullups and it didn't budge (I weigh 215). Deeper than expected too.

The plates look nice, although being cheap, they were unsurprisingly a bit inconsistent with their weight, especially the 45s. But I was able to pair up plates within .2-.4lbs of each other, which should work well enough. They even came in a wooden box I think I can co-opt to make a decent storage system with a few extra 2x4s.

Took a few pics as I progressed and will share soon, or maybe all at once when everything has been completed. Can't wait for the first home workout!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #475 on: February 24, 2017, 05:56:48 AM »
Just checking in.

Holding running mileage steady -- 6 days per week.  I'm making great progress on my upper body strength goals! I went from being able to do only one knee push up to 3 sets of 10, plus now I am doing three 'negative'/lowering push ups with knees off the ground.  I can feel that first real push up coming -- it's just around the corner.  :)

On my pull up goal, I went from not being able to hang by my hands for even one second (messed up shoulder) to hanging for 10 seconds, 3 sets.  I am also doing lat pull downs and am currently at 3 sets/10 reps of 40 pounds. I'll be stepping up in weight today. I can't 'see' that first pull up yet in my future, but I will just keep plugging along and have faith.  If I get there I will be so excited.  I've never done one before, and it will feel damn good to be -- in at least that one way -- fitter than I've ever been.   

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #476 on: February 24, 2017, 08:13:28 AM »
Can anyone recommend a beginner's Pilates video for free or cheap? I haven't found anything that looks decent on YouTube and I don't want to buy anything without knowing what I'm looking for. Unfortunately classes aren't really available within a reasonable drive where I live.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #477 on: February 24, 2017, 08:27:12 AM »
I'm hanging in with my increase walking goals. Push-ups are on hold...went to the doctor and ended up in occupational therapy for my dominant hand. Possible torn ligaments and/or tendons that didn't heal properly. Does OT count as improving strength and fitness? Kidding mostly because I'm counting it. Can't do much upper body with my hand/wrist on mandatory rest. :-(

My schedule is calming down so I'm planning on adding in the slow poke version of couch-to-5k next week.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #478 on: February 24, 2017, 09:45:06 AM »
Can anyone recommend a beginner's Pilates video for free or cheap? I haven't found anything that looks decent on YouTube and I don't want to buy anything without knowing what I'm looking for. Unfortunately classes aren't really available within a reasonable drive where I live.

Does your library have a selection? Mine has a pretty big section with yoga, pilates, tae bo, etc. DVDs. Might be worth a look.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #479 on: February 24, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
Man I feel you on benching with long arms. There are a few ladies at my former gym that have a range of motion of well under a foot, between being short and having crazy arches. At 6'4" with an above average wingspan for my height, mine has got to be somewhere in the 2.5'-3' range! But my build does give me monster deadlift potential, so at least there's some good with the bad.

Yea My buddy with a pretty strong bench press is about 5'8" with a pretty thick chest so his ROM is pretty short. I always tell him I have a longer ROM just un-racking the bar for my bench press lol. I have never really trained the deadlift until getting back into weight lifting this year so I am hoping that my long levers will help make it one of my strongest lifts. I always felt that I would injury my lower back doing them. After four months of deadlifting with moderate weight for my fitness level my back has never felt stronger.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #480 on: February 24, 2017, 10:08:14 AM »

Does your library have a selection? Mine has a pretty big section with yoga, pilates, tae bo, etc. DVDs. Might be worth a look.

Good suggestion. We have a small library but they surprise me sometimes.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: February 24, 2017, 10:26:14 AM »

Good suggestion. We have a small library but they surprise me sometimes.

Also, interlibrary loan might be a possibility. And sometimes they'll order something if you request it, say if you found a popular pilates series that might have appeal to other patrons.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: February 24, 2017, 10:27:51 AM »
Yea My buddy with a pretty strong bench press is about 5'8" with a pretty thick chest so his ROM is pretty short. I always tell him I have a longer ROM just un-racking the bar for my bench press lol. I have never really trained the deadlift until getting back into weight lifting this year so I am hoping that my long levers will help make it one of my strongest lifts. I always felt that I would injury my lower back doing them. After four months of deadlifting with moderate weight for my fitness level my back has never felt stronger.

Deadlifts are life, my friend :)

In my book, there's nothing so primally satisfying as pulling big weights. Just watch your form and stay tight, and there should be no lower back issues.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #483 on: February 24, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
So, after taking most of a week off to nurse a sore knee, I finally got back to running today and week 3 day 3 of C210K is done. I missed two runs this week because of my knees, and we'll see how they hold up after today's attempt. Fingers crossed.

jordanread

« Reply #484 on: February 24, 2017, 05:48:42 PM »
So, after taking most of a week off to nurse a sore knee, I finally got back to running today and week 3 day 3 of C210K is done. I missed two runs this week because of my knees, and we'll see how they hold up after today's attempt. Fingers crossed.

I cannot recall if you did it or not, but have you had someone check out your running form?

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #485 on: February 24, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »

I cannot recall if you did it or not, but have you had someone check out your running form?

Not recently. I've been running on and off for four years, and this is the first time I've had knee problems. I'm currently chalking it up to being out of practice. I'm hoping that as I get back into it and build my muscles and flexibility, it won't be an issue anymore.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #486 on: February 25, 2017, 05:07:39 AM »
Update.

Walking has been good.
Weight down to 195.6 from 211 to start the year
Body fat down to 16.9% from 20% to start the year.
Pullups so close to double digits still at 9.75 hoping to hit 10 in a week. Up from about 2 one year ago

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #487 on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:30 AM »
C210k week 4 day 1 down. It was a bit of a challenge, since it was a fairly large increase over last week, but I made it through. Onward and upwards.

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #488 on: February 26, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »

Blogilates on Youtube. Many videos for free !

Checking in:

I had a bad cold last week and couldn't work out for days. Just started yesterday and man it felt good to sweat a bit.

Not fitness related but I took the bus to go to the grocery store. Had to walk a bit with my bags and it wasn't much of a chore. 2 years from nom I would probably have hated it and now, I feel it like a challenge !

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #489 on: February 27, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »

In my book, there's nothing so primally satisfying as pulling big weights. Just watch your form and stay tight, and there should be no lower back issues.

I always write something on my white board in my gym to help me focus. That will be it for the foreseeable future!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #490 on: February 27, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »

I always write something on my white board in my gym to help me focus. That will be it for the foreseeable future!

Ha! They are words to live by!

To all, I do still intend to post pics soon enough, but I need to clear away a bunch of crap in my garage so I can pretend to be a total minimalist badass first! Also finishing up some odds and ends. The main thing left to do at this point is build the deadlift platform. Picking up the lumber tomorrow and stall mats later this week. Assembly should not take very long. Had my first workout in the new setup yesterday. Squats + bench + some dumbbell/band accessories and I was doing just as well as any workout in my old gym. By November, the money I've invested in this home setup will pay for itself!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #491 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »

Blogilates on Youtube. Many videos for free !

Thanks for this. I did a beginner's video this morning. It was helpful and painful, so pretty much perfect.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #492 on: February 28, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
I was on such a roll with exercising every day, or nearly every day - but then I 1) had houseguests for a few days, and I felt bad taking time away from them to go to the gym, especially since I already had to go to work during their visit; and 2) immediately thereafter, a huge project at work and an unexpected business trip to another city.  The project might last weeks, with a lot of travel.  I need to follow the advice of another poster here, and at least do *something* every evening in my hotel room, even if it's just a few bodyweight exercises. 

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #493 on: February 28, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »
I need to get back on board with doing SOMETHING every day, even if it's just bodyweight & mobility work, and working out with weights at least 2x/week. I'm pregnant, and it's far too easy to use that as an excuse. Last time around (this is kid #2), I was doing olympic and powerlifting 2-3x/week until about 33 weeks. Pregnancy actually helped to fix my squat form. :)

Since I haven't kept up with heavy lifting during this pregnancy, I'm not going to restart that right now (3rd trimester), but I will commit to a kettlebell/sandbag workout 3x/week. And more walking.

If all goes well after baby #2 arrives, we'll be building a garage platform & rack. I miss deadlifts!

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #494 on: February 28, 2017, 05:24:44 PM »
I finished C210K week 4 day 2. It was easier than it was on Sunday, so that's good, but still a challenge. Hopefully next run will be even better.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #495 on: February 28, 2017, 05:36:45 PM »
February Check-in:

Wins: Ran a good amount of miles. Mostly hit all the workouts on my training plan (cut one run a mile short because of poor timing/planning). Had a great, if slightly slower than I hoped half marathon mid-month. Got back in the pool for the first time all year and back on my bike. Both were great! Did some hill work, but not speedwork.

Challenges: I barely did an hour of non-cardio all month, much less doing at least an hour each week. I didn't cycle nearly as much as I probably should have given how unseasonably warm it's been and the fact that I skipped the non-cardio.

We also had the awards banquet for our local run club. I finished second in my age group in year end points! It wasn't a complete surprise (I had a pretty good idea where I stood) but it was still nice to get confirmation. I now have a nice club hoodie to wear.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #496 on: February 28, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »
Questions on deadlift program from brute:

Is the program you outlined useful for everyone, or should it be adjusted for body weight/current max/age/experience? Is it meant to be one session/week, or more? I'm currently doing 1x5 as my work set, and adding 5 lbs. per workout, which is every 3-5 days. I'm at 1x5x155 now, which is just below my body weight, I'm 51, and my previous 1RM was 275 a couple of years ago at about 160-165 lbs. BW.

February checkin:

Cardio: 14/16 workouts
Strength: 15/16 workouts
Weight: 157
BF: 16.8%
Diet: On track

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #497 on: February 28, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »
I've made some pretty good progress in Febuary.

current rep maxes are

press 136 lb
deads 343 lb
bench 222 lb
squat 245 lb

I've also gotten to where I can do my first 3 pull-ups on each set of my 5 sets of 10 un-assisted. I then go to band assisted for the remaining 7. I have been lacking on the conditioning side of things though. I hate doing conditioning work but I NEED to. I've been hitting mobility work about twice a day and that has been paying huge dividends. My lower back pain is almost none existent, my shoulders are feeling strong and mobile, and my knees no longer sound like a bowl of rice crispies when I take my first few steps in the morning.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #498 on: February 28, 2017, 08:38:05 PM »
Racked up my required Strava goals for the month, both ride and climbing challenges.  Rode to work 15 out of 16 days that I had to be there and ended up with 908kms for the month.

Just need to work on my ITB's as they caused me knee issues on a 100km rec ride earlier this week.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #499 on: March 01, 2017, 08:02:16 AM »
Feb check-in:

Feb goals:
- Another month without missing a workout day (missing one day due to migraine & airport travel)
- Increase kettle bell swings to 75 (success!)
- Increase bent arm hang to 8 seconds (failed, due to being out of town away from a chinup bar for most of the month).
- Add one new stretch each week to my routine. I haven't done stretches for years. (success!)

March goals:
- workout every day, but drop weight exercises to every other day for recovery time. Fill in alternate days with biking now that the snow is gone.
- increase kettle bell swings to 85 per day
- increase bent arm hang to 8 seconds
- start c25k again when the field I run in gets less soggy

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!