Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172655 times)

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #300 on: January 30, 2017, 08:23:19 AM »
Was sick at the end of last week, only got in 4 days of working out, unfortunately, and broke my month-long streak of hour daily workouts. Back on the wagon this week (5:30AM circuit class), with the goal of going to the gym every day in February.

I really think I need to invest in some handles for push-ups/downward dogs/handstands & a stretching band for splits - both things I need to use (shit wrists) that my gym doesn't have. I hate spending money on something that I feel my gym should have, but the handles would benefit me both at yoga class (at a different gym) and, frankly, my knuckles are starting to get wicked calluses (and not in a good way) from doing push ups on them.

I've asked my MegaGym to get some handles about 7 weeks ago, not have appeared. Unfortunately the hand weights at the gym are not stable (they roll) so they don't work for using as handles.

I guess I should just consider the expense an investment in reaching my goals (100 pushups and the full splits) but I hate spending the money. Also I end up researching the fuck out of the options and get caught in a shame spiral about spending $15 on something.

Are you referring to these? If so, hit me up off line, I may have some I can send to you that I don't use.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: January 30, 2017, 08:27:46 AM »
Are you referring to these? If so, hit me up off line, I may have some I can send to you that I don't use.
Ah damn! I need the non-turning version of those, like these:

jordanread

« Reply #302 on: January 30, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »

Ah, okay. I went and looked at mine, and don't see an easy way to remove the spinny bottom. I was thinking you can probably jam it somehow. But then I was thinking about the comments earlier. You can probably just use a super cheap dumbbell pair, or even a pipe and some 2X4's.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »

Ah, okay. I went and looked at mine, and don't see an easy way to remove the spinny bottom. I was thinking you can probably jam it somehow. But then I was thinking about the comments earlier. You can probably just use a super cheap dumbbell pair, or even a pipe and some 2X4's.
Honestly, a pair of dumbbells costs about the same as some handles, and is a lot less weight/more compact to haul around in my work bag to take the gym. But I still hate spending money.

jordanread

« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2017, 08:41:59 AM »

Honestly, a pair of dumbbells costs about the same as some handles, and is a lot less weight/more compact to haul around in my work bag to take the gym. But I still hate spending money.

Yeah, makes sense. Sorry I couldn't help.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: January 30, 2017, 09:48:22 AM »
January update:
Weight -3.5%
Exercise goal: 6000 steps. Averaged 6484. Bumping goal to 7500

Other exercise temporarily on hold while I get occupational therapy for a torn ligament in my right wrist that didn't heal correctly.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #306 on: January 30, 2017, 01:33:35 PM »
I know there are still a couple more working out-able days in in January, but here is an accountability check for the month anyway:

Wins: Three solid weeks of running. Each week I added some interval pickups during one run to ease back into more structured speed work when the time comes. I also did 45-60 minutes of non-cardio each of those weeks. DH and I did a good job a of meal planning and cleaning up our diets. And I switched to healthier snacks.

Challenges: At the end of week three I had one of my worst long runs ever... I would have bailed completely by mile 7, but I still had 5 miles to get back to my car. There was a lot of walking those last 5 miles. I was having a lot of left glute pain that I think (thanks Dr. Google) is related to something going on with my Piriformis and the next day I came down sick, which probably didn't help. Between getting sick, wanting to rest whatever is going on with the piriformis, and a ridiculous week at work once I came back from being sick, I basically did nothing for 6 days. Sigh. I also did no cycling or swimming all month.

I did a nice 5 miler on Saturday with the barest twinge in my glute area starting at around mile 4.5. I also did a slow mile yesterday as just an easy warm up before jumping in to a nice overall bodyweight/resistance band workout with no problems. So... from here I'm going to cautiously try to do all my normal runs this week, but stay away from any speed. I'm going to try to focus on my form (issue is on the same side as the tweaked hamstring a few weeks ago) and do some pretty dedicated stretching in the area. If it continues to be a problem, I'll make an appointment to have it looked at.

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #307 on: January 30, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »
A bit late but here's my overall and very simple fitness and health goals for 2017:

- Increase my flexibility, endurance and muscle strength to do the follow yoga move: press headstand and the splits.

I usually train 3x a week but with very little improvment months after months. I've always wanted to do the splits but couldn't see real results even with trying everyday. I bought a Cody bundle (pure flexibility) and boy I was training wrong ! Hoping to see some progress as I'm now flexing all of my body instead of focusing on only a few parts.

I'm also doing PIIT28 1.0, it's actually the only fitness program I didn't got bored off for now. I did it once in dec 2016 but I didn't followed the schedule as I was too sore/tired. Back to the normal schedule now ! So my goal right now is to train 6x/week with PIIT28 and substitute with weight training if I want to spice things a bit. Then do Pure Flexibility 5x/week as a cooldown.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #308 on: January 30, 2017, 08:57:35 PM »
Back on the wagon this week (5:30AM circuit class), with the goal of going to the gym every day in February.

Ooo...think I'll join you for similar challenge. Work out all 28 days of February. Probably only half gym with the other half running/biking/skiing but minimum 30 minutes of focused activity every day.

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #309 on: January 30, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »
Didn't do shit today but walk 6.5 miles. That is about my average for a day at work. It's the only reason why I'm not overweight. That and caffeine and nicotine, I guess.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #310 on: January 30, 2017, 09:41:16 PM »
Tried pilates tonight (on accident, it was in the usual yoga time slot at the gym). Verdict: super boring, imo.

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #311 on: January 30, 2017, 09:50:43 PM »
Tried pilates tonight (on accident, it was in the usual yoga time slot at the gym). Verdict: super boring, imo.

That's why I prefer Pop pilates or PIIT28. I tried Pilates last week at my gym and man it was boring. I prefer when it's more active and PIIT is pilates mixed with cardio moves.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #312 on: January 30, 2017, 10:31:28 PM »
Could you simply make two handles yourself? Just take a piece of wood, cut in half, cut out your size for handles and wrap rubber around. Voila, handles.
With my jigsaw that I totally own & store & can use in my 550 square foot urban apartment?

This is definitely a case where DIYing is not better than buying - also any DIY monstrosity I will then need to carry around heavy wooden handles in my gym bag all the time.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #313 on: January 31, 2017, 06:51:22 AM »
Officially back under the bar. SSB Squats felt solid, I benched without pain for the first time in 6 months, and deadlifts are feeling snappy. I won't be pushing for heavy (400/300/500)+ on Squat/Bench/Deadlift for a little while to make sure I don't re-injure myself unnecessarily, particularly as I drop 50+ pounds of fat.

SSB Bar for those who care is one of these. It really reduces strain on the wrists, elbows, and shoulders on us big guys.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #314 on: January 31, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
Cool safety bar! I like safety bar squats but rarely use one

what's going on with your bench that is causing you so much pain?

jordanread

« Reply #315 on: January 31, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »
A bit late but here's my overall and very simple fitness and health goals for 2017:

- Increase my flexibility, endurance and muscle strength to do the follow yoga move: press headstand and the splits.

I usually train 3x a week but with very little improvment months after months. I've always wanted to do the splits but couldn't see real results even with trying everyday. I bought a Cody bundle (pure flexibility) and boy I was training wrong ! Hoping to see some progress as I'm now flexing all of my body instead of focusing on only a few parts.

I'm also doing PIIT28 1.0, it's actually the only fitness program I didn't got bored off for now. I did it once in dec 2016 but I didn't followed the schedule as I was too sore/tired. Back to the normal schedule now ! So my goal right now is to train 6x/week with PIIT28 and substitute with weight training if I want to spice things a bit. Then do Pure Flexibility 5x/week as a cooldown.

frugalwitch, I've got you add to the participant tracking post. There are also some links about just the splits in the resource post (although it may be the 2016 legacy resources, which is one comment down).

Welcome to the gauntlet.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #316 on: January 31, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »
Cool safety bar! I like safety bar squats but rarely use one

what's going on with your bench that is causing you so much pain?

About 8 months ago, I strained my left forearm and lat with a 635 pound deadlift. While I didn't notice, when I look back at training video, I can see that my bench form shifted to accommodate that strain, leading to a strain in the pec. I had been just trying to push through it, but right before Christmas I was experiencing massive cramping and pain even just trying to put my arms around my wife, so I'm guessing I was getting close to rupturing something in the pec where it ties into the shoulder, which ties into the biceps not too far from there.  There was also some strains in the left lat from that deadlift that caused severe pain in the triceps on that side. So yeah, I needed some time off, even if I didn't want to admit it.

attackgnome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It was a cold spring day in Casper, Wyoming.
« Reply #317 on: February 01, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »
If it isn't measured it isn't going to change.

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 217
Neck: 15
Waist: 40
Wrist: 7.5
Forearm: 12
Hip: 45

Which from the Home Body Fat Test on the resource page results in 22.6% body fat.

I want to trim this down to 15%.

To accomplish this goal, I will continue my current regime of commuting via bike 19.8 miles round trip. A year ago, I was at 246 lbs, and I have dropped 29 lbs. I expect I still haven't hit a plateau with weight loss, as I moved in September which increased my commute from 6.4 miles round trip to its current 19.8 miles.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #318 on: February 01, 2017, 08:50:38 AM »
Checking in on my "move every day goal" - I MISSED 7 DAYS THIS MONTH!!! That is so pathetic. Work went off the rails for a couple weeks and I allowed that to be an obstacle.

For February I will stick with the same goal.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »
I'm only 10 days into this, but here's my end-of-month update:

Wins:  met workout frequency goals for cardio, strength training, and PT.  I'm easing into the bodyweight-based strength training, so not doing my full intended routine yet, but I'm doing more each time!

Challenges:  (1) still avoiding riding my bike
(2) I'm having a lot of trouble performing lunges, mostly due to knee pain during the activity.  Are there any recommendations for alternate movements I can incorporate into my bodyweight circuit routine?

I think I'll take monthly body measurements to assess progress on those goals.  No measurements for end of January, though, since I just started!

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2017, 09:23:55 AM »
I'm only 10 days into this, but here's my end-of-month update:

Wins:  met workout frequency goals for cardio, strength training, and PT.  I'm easing into the bodyweight-based strength training, so not doing my full intended routine yet, but I'm doing more each time!

(2) I'm having a lot of trouble performing lunges, mostly due to knee pain during the activity.  Are there any recommendations for alternate movements I can incorporate into my bodyweight circuit routine?

I think I'll take monthly body measurements to assess progress on those goals.  No measurements for end of January, though, since I just started!

I do step-ups when lunges aren't an options. I have a stool that is 15" high and tends to give me a decent challenge if I do them slowly and under control.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: February 01, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »

I do step-ups when lunges aren't an options. I have a stool that is 15" high and tends to give me a decent challenge if I do them slowly and under control.

Thanks!  I'll give that a try.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #322 on: February 01, 2017, 10:49:33 AM »

frugalwitch, I've got you add to the participant tracking post. There are also some links about just the splits in the resource post (although it may be the 2016 legacy resources, which is one comment down).

Welcome to the gauntlet.

Did people actually get into the front splits with the link from the resource post? I took a look, and I do virtually ALL of those stretch exercises daily at yoga (which I've been doing consistently for almost a month now). I feel like I'm very slowly getting closer to front splits, but it seems crazy to say you could get there in 30 days by just doing a few of those stretches a day. I'd say maybe I could get them in six months? Perhaps progress on that front isn't linear, though.

My knees have been hurting a bit, and I came to the realization that while practicing front splits and I'm trying to challenge myself to go lower, I'm hyperextending my knee instead of making my hamstring muscle do the stretch, so I've been more aware of that and trying to keep a tension/bend in my front knee. Same with when I stand in a wide straddle and fold forward; I'm getting my gains toward the floor at the expense of my knees. Whoops! Now that I realize I'm doing it hopefully I can knock it off and let my sore ligaments heal.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #323 on: February 01, 2017, 12:01:43 PM »
Checking in: I totally did the 31 Day Yoga Revolution every single day in January, even when I really didn't want to. Woohoo!

I'm taking a few days of rest while I work out a schedule for the rest of the year, which will list specific things to do each day of the week, but with more flexibility than doing yoga every single day. Yoga Revolution was a little hard on my problem hip, and it needs a break.

I will also be working out about how many hours of yoga I need to do for each of the remaining 11 months of the year to give myself convenient check-in points.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #324 on: February 01, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
January summary:
For my 'daily minimums', I only had 8 days completing all 10. My big downfall is eating fish every other day. I had 27 days where I did 9/10 tasks, and all but 2 of those it was the fish that I didn't get.

For 'do something every day', I batted 100% (although the day I moved furniture could arguably have been skipping, since it really wasn't *that* hard, but hey, it still got me moving). These go above and beyond the daily minumums- ie, the 5 goblet squats in the morning don't count for these, and neither does the short AM yoga flow.
I did 10 days of yoga
I did 7 weight lifting workouts
Nature: Snowshoeing 1x, hike x1, beach walk x1
Local walks: I did 15 walks, all but 2 were more than 1 mile

On to February! Goals:
-Do better with fish (minimum 10 days with all 10 daily minimums)
-Do 20 local walks
-Do another 10 days yoga minimum
-Do 10 weight lifting workouts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #325 on: February 01, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
I guess I should just consider the expense an investment in reaching my goals (100 pushups and the full splits) but I hate spending the money. Also I end up researching the fuck out of the options and get caught in a shame spiral about spending $15 on something.

I screwed up my wrist a while back and use something similar all the time now for push ups and it really helps.   No shame!  You'll use them and they'll you'll get more healthy...I determined that anything that honestly helps the mind and/or body get better doesn't count as "spending" (it's investment like you said).   Within reason of course so no gold plated ones.

I'll post an update on month 1 soon.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2017, 08:11:46 PM »
My January highlights:

Worked out with weights every day - a huge accomplishment for me!
Increased kettle bell swings from 20 to 53 reps with 25lbs.
Increased side planks from 30 to 72 seconds.
Increased bent arm hang, working up to a chin-up, from 0 to 4 seconds.

Feb. goals:
Another month without missing a workout day.
Increase kettle bell swings to 75.
Increase bent arm hang to 8 seconds.
Add one new stretch each week to my routine. I haven't done stretches for years.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #327 on: February 02, 2017, 09:52:56 AM »

I screwed up my wrist a while back and use something similar all the time now for push ups and it really helps.   No shame!  You'll use them and they'll you'll get more healthy...I determined that anything that honestly helps the mind and/or body get better doesn't count as "spending" (it's investment like you said).   Within reason of course so no gold plated ones.

I used them daily at my old gym but the new gym doesn't have them! I'm just annoyed that I personally have to buy them. I did shell out the $13 though, which I think will be worth it. My knuckles cannot take all these push ups & downward dogs & burpees on my knuckles - even on a mat-  which is my only alternative without handles.

I don't think I could feel that way about spending on health being "free" as I already have a lot of guilt about paying for the gym despite using it every day. Even as it stands, fitness is my 4th largest spending category, and my largest discretionary one, at $50/month.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:55:06 AM by monstermonster »

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #328 on: February 03, 2017, 06:53:07 PM »
I finally started swimming again. I had to pause for 30 seconds every two laps, but I did 20 minutes (nit counting pauses) and felt great. I'm doing weights one day fewer per week than I had planned; I'm going to try and improve that next week.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2017, 01:01:55 AM »

I used them daily at my old gym but the new gym doesn't have them! I'm just annoyed that I personally have to buy them. I did shell out the $13 though, which I think will be worth it. My knuckles cannot take all these push ups & downward dogs & burpees on my knuckles - even on a mat-  which is my only alternative without handles.

I don't think I could feel that way about spending on health being "free" as I already have a lot of guilt about paying for the gym despite using it every day. Even as it stands, fitness is my 4th largest spending category, and my largest discretionary one, at $50/month.

My wife and I spend $240/month on our (private powerlifting) gym membership and I don't regret a single penny. Making myself fitter, stronger, and better looking, not to mention the associated health benefits, increase in happiness, and good friends made from a supportive community? Can't imagine a better bargain.

If you make use of what you're paying for, I see fitness as the one area where it's hard to overspend.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #330 on: February 04, 2017, 02:05:10 AM »
I'm deployed to Germany for the next three weeks. Yesterday I spent 20 minutes on a treadmill and thanks to being at 1000ft elevation rather than 6000ft I dropped 2:30 from my 2 mile run time. Unfortunately, I can't bend my knee today without excruciating pain.  It's not even the knee I had surgery on last year.  I'm popping anti-inflammatories and hopefully this goes away soon.  I was looking forward to putting on some miles while I'm here.

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #331 on: February 04, 2017, 06:20:06 AM »
First week of my training program completed. I've trained 6x HIIT and 5x on flexibilty. I'm not used to that kind of intensity but I'm improving myself slowly. I am now able to do push-up burpees, yay !

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #332 on: February 04, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
Guess who's on a liquid diet for at least 3 days? Me! I'm on all the antibiotics. The good news is that even though I haven't eaten for 38 hours, I haven't felt very hungry and my energy levels are high. I'm also down another 3 pounds on bodyweight (or more specifically, food that used to be in my body) I look a lot slimmer though, so that's nice.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #333 on: February 04, 2017, 11:43:30 AM »
Guess who's on a liquid diet for at least 3 days? Me! I'm on all the antibiotics. The good news is that even though I haven't eaten for 38 hours, I haven't felt very hungry and my energy levels are high. I'm also down another 3 pounds on bodyweight (or more specifically, food that used to be in my body) I look a lot slimmer though, so that's nice.

Is the liquid diet because of the antibiotics? Or are you on some sort of crazy crash diet? Cuz the nurse in me would need to send you lots of links about how dangerous that could be =\

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #334 on: February 04, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »

Is the liquid diet because of the antibiotics? Or are you on some sort of crazy crash diet? Cuz the nurse in me would need to send you lots of links about how dangerous that could be =\

It's because of the issue that's making me take antibiotics. No need to worry about me crash dieting. The craziest I get is cutting out refined carbs and eating a lot of protein unless my doc tells me not to eat anything for a while. The good news, the gut pain in manageable today, in that I can walk to the bathroom without holding onto something.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #335 on: February 04, 2017, 12:16:50 PM »

It's because of the issue that's making me take antibiotics. No need to worry about me crash dieting. The craziest I get is cutting out refined carbs and eating a lot of protein unless my doc tells me not to eat anything for a while. The good news, the gut pain in manageable today, in that I can walk to the bathroom without holding onto something.

Just wanted to check! You didn't seem like the crash diet type, but my 'mother hen' instincts demanded I ask. Hope you feel better soon, and the antibiotics fix what ails 'ya. Have you looked into studies about probiotic courses to re-establish gut flora after a rough abx course? It's especially important for the intense ones like Flagyl and Doxycycline. More doctors are prescribing specific probiotics now, but it's still not super common practice. You can see benefits with even just common stuff like any living yogurt though (note: lots of brands, like yoplait, are scarcely alive when they reach you). Anyway, I don't know your medical situation obviously, so this doesn't constitute directly actionable advice- just a direction you can take for your own investigation/talking to your doctor about.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #336 on: February 04, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »

Just wanted to check! You didn't seem like the crash diet type, but my 'mother hen' instincts demanded I ask. Hope you feel better soon, and the antibiotics fix what ails 'ya. Have you looked into studies about probiotic courses to re-establish gut flora after a rough abx course? It's especially important for the intense ones like Flagyl and Doxycycline. More doctors are prescribing specific probiotics now, but it's still not super common practice. You can see benefits with even just common stuff like any living yogurt though (note: lots of brands, like yoplait, are scarcely alive when they reach you). Anyway, I don't know your medical situation obviously, so this doesn't constitute directly actionable advice- just a direction you can take for your own investigation/talking to your doctor about.

Thanks for the reminder of probiotics. I've got some pretty great ones in the fridge right now. I even make my own yogurt and kombucha (and beer and cheese and charcuterie and I'm getting my mushroom culturing/farming up and running finally yay!) It's Flagyl and Cipro. I'll definitely need some help getting gut bacteria back.

In general, I'm a huge fan of probiotics for anyone trying to lose weight and struggling. Getting gut flora under control has always been hugely helpful for craving bread/pizza/tacos, and it seems to improve my insulin sensitivity too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: February 04, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »

Thanks for the reminder of probiotics. I've got some pretty great ones in the fridge right now. I even make my own yogurt and kombucha (and beer and cheese and charcuterie and I'm getting my mushroom culturing/farming up and running finally yay!) It's Flagyl and Cipro. I'll definitely need some help getting gut bacteria back.

In general, I'm a huge fan of probiotics for anyone trying to lose weight and struggling. Getting gut flora under control has always been hugely helpful for craving bread/pizza/tacos, and it seems to improve my insulin sensitivity too.

Oooof, yeah, Flagyl and Cipro will floor you. Do whatever you can to take care of yourself right now. Those are big guns, as I'm sure you're aware!

Also, AWESOME on all the stuff you sprout/ferment/grow yourself! That is awesome. We just do kombucha right now, and occasionally yogurt. What do you do for storing your kombucha once it's done fermenting? I used to have a bottle collection and don't know, so I'm feeling stuck.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #338 on: February 04, 2017, 12:36:34 PM »
Related to Fitness spending I'm curious what others spend/feel a bout it.

To me  I only have 1 body so can justify investing in my health.

Gym?:
My living room & 2nd bedroom where pullup bar is hanging (wife loves that...), although I can certainly see why some opt for a gym membership (specialized training, space, motivation, etc and I have no problem with gym memberships).

I've also made some stuff with resources like this:

Homemade Workout Equipment:
http://rosstraining.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157
http://homemadestrength.blogspot.com/p/project-index.html

Curious what equipment others may have purchased or made (and really use/like):

Purchased:
Loop bands (essentially got the pilates and assisted pullups packages although use them for other things):  https://ironwoodyfitness.com/product-category/bands/41-inch-single-band-packages

Pull up bar: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OXUWOB6/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w

Socks/towels: for leg curls like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4_VGIfvfQY

Made:
Loop band handles: http://rosstraining.com/blog/2011/03/31/diy-resistance-band-handles
Suspension trainer:  based on this and others, but not identical to any:  http://scoobysworkshop.com/diy-trx-6-dollars/

Rope with knots on the ends to use for triceps extensions, neutral grip curls, alternate chin up grip, etc.

Want to make:
T-Handle (cheap way to make adjustable kettle bell--really just for swings):   Here: http://www.instructables.com/id/T-Handle-Kettlebell   AND here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tim-ferriss-superhuman-kettlebell.htm

Parallettes:  These or similar (I think):
https://gmb.io/parallettes-construction

Dip Stand:
 Not certain what I'll do yet, but some options:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535295105681936019/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABOyy72ZoCQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VQxD-tZks8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HFcKGgl57A

Curious what others may have made/purchased/liked etc.  Most of my workouts these days are BW, but also do a few other things too.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:47:53 PM by 2300 »

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: February 04, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »
@2300. I do think it's an interesting question and I love the home made equipment list you've put together! That said, I'll reiterate that I don't believe thoughtfully made (this is key) fitness expenses can ever really be "bad." It's just that we all have different priorities. For example, if I want to be fit and spend as little as possible, I should just combine  cardio (only running outdoors if we want to be truly frugal) with bodyweight exercises, and maybe a few of those home made implements if I want to splurge.

But I most enjoy getting stronger, which is a pursuit that also motivates me the most to keep working out. Because of this, I doubt I could discipline myself to only run/do bodyweight stuff since the best way to get stronger is to lift big weights, which requires expensive equipment. Now I could build a home gym and eventually recoup the cost with the lack of membership fees, but since I also value optimizing my strength gains while staying safe/healthy, which requires qualified coaching (at least for now while I'm still gaining knowledge) and easy access to spotters. I also value belonging to a fitness community, which is both enjoyable and additive to my motivation.

Thus in my case, the pricey gym membership is logically the best option. It gives me both the best return on my specific fitness goals, and increases my happiness the most out of my available options. Where fitness runs afoul of mustachianism, imho, is when an individual does things like purchases gym memberships that go unused, or buys a treadmill for their home that they use for a couple months before it becomes an overpriced laundry drying rack, or constantly switches between various fitness regimes, each of which requires buying something new.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #340 on: February 04, 2017, 03:10:56 PM »
@2300. I do think it's an interesting question and I love the home made equipment list you've put together! That said, I'll reiterate that I don't believe thoughtfully made (this is key) fitness expenses can ever really be "bad." It's just that we all have different priorities...

No worries Lagom, I 100% agree with all that you're saying and I didn't mean to imply anything wrong with gym membership if it came off that way (of course as you note a gym membership that goes unused is a waste, but certainly not the case here).  I've also considered it mainly for form coaching and if/when expand to serious barbell lifts will likely do some form of formal coaching.

I think it's great that there's lots of different goals on here with overall point of getting stronger/healthier so can learn new options.

I'm mainly "home gym curious" and may expand--in particular next thing I want is a dip station (which I may make). 

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #341 on: February 04, 2017, 03:21:37 PM »
My wife and I spend $240/month on our (private powerlifting) gym membership and I don't regret a single penny. Making myself fitter, stronger, and better looking, not to mention the associated health benefits, increase in happiness, and good friends made from a supportive community? Can't imagine a better bargain.

If you make use of what you're paying for, I see fitness as the one area where it's hard to overspend.
Oof! Kinda a dream! I'm sure that's a great gym - when I had classpass for $79/month, I really enjoyed access to high-end gyms. I am business startup phase right now and living entirely off my 12 hour a week W2 job (around $18,000 a year) so a high-end gym is off the table for me (especially with health care costs) but in the future, I'd like to have the kind of wealth where high-end fitness makes sense. At the moment, I'm strongly contemplating going back to fitness coaching as a side hustle to get access to the nice fitness studio (Barre3).

I think it's easy to have fitness as another luxury as there's a point at which you are just buying a higher quality version of something that delivers similar results (for example at $40,000 car instead of a $30,000 car because of nicer seats + infotainment system), but that doesn't mean it's a bad choice if it aligns with your values. I believe there are no bad choices in budgeting if they are made consciously, in line with your values, without consumer debt.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #342 on: February 04, 2017, 04:17:47 PM »
My husband came into the marriage with an exercise bike and weight bench, plus we both had bicycles.

I don't really like the cycle in place thing or the bench. I bought some dumbbells, a chinup bar, a couple kettlebells and one of those big balance balls for indoor stuff and they are all ideal for me.

I tried a crossfit gym membership - that was horrible - expensive, and while I understand coaches are trying to push their clients, it was counterproductive for me. The "coaching" just pushed me past my natural limits and led to short term injuries that temporarily incapacitated me. I had stuff like muscle fatigue to the point where I was home alone one night and had to strategize how to get up off the floor because I wasn't able to push up with legs or arms and had even pulled muscles in the palms of my hands. I was rolling around the floor in a ball trying to figure it out, thinking I might be trapped on the floor til my husband came home. So stupid. I quit the gym the next day.

My $$ weakness when it comes to fitness has turned out to be blinging out my bike and self with gear. Homemade, when possible, but I love good headlights, tail lights, reflectors, reflective jackets, pogies, fleece tights, helmet covers, ugh.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #343 on: February 04, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »

No worries Lagom, I 100% agree with all that you're saying and I didn't mean to imply anything wrong with gym membership if it came off that way (of course as you note a gym membership that goes unused is a waste, but certainly not the case here).  I've also considered it mainly for form coaching and if/when expand to serious barbell lifts will likely do some form of formal coaching.

I think it's great that there's lots of different goals on here with overall point of getting stronger/healthier so can learn new options.

I'm mainly "home gym curious" and may expand--in particular next thing I want is a dip station (which I may make).

No worries, I didn't take it that way :)

Just wanted to offer my own thoughts on spending $ for fitness. I actually have thought quite a bit about how I would construct a home gym. In my opinion, while expensive it's still often worth (eventually) buying a barbell set, and something of relatively high quality, almost regardless of your fitness goals. I would also probably slowly accumulate dumbells and maybe a kettle bell or two. Bands are probably worth the investment as well, imo. My thought if I ever do this is to invest in a few critical things upfront and then give myself a budget (say $20-50/month) to slowly add to the gym until it had everything I ideally would want. The problem for me is that my minimum upfront costs would be pretty huge.

There's also a lot you can DIY, as you've indicated. I've even seen homemade squat racks, though the idea makes me nervous personally. A sled is another fantastic implement to help with both strength and conditioning that I would personally recommend for most fitness goals.

Oof! Kinda a dream! I'm sure that's a great gym - when I had classpass for $79/month, I really enjoyed access to high-end gyms. I am business startup phase right now and living entirely off my 12 hour a week W2 job (around $18,000 a year) so a high-end gym is off the table for me (especially with health care costs) but in the future, I'd like to have the kind of wealth where high-end fitness makes sense. At the moment, I'm strongly contemplating going back to fitness coaching as a side hustle to get access to the nice fitness studio (Barre3).

I think it's easy to have fitness as another luxury as there's a point at which you are just buying a higher quality version of something that delivers similar results (for example at $40,000 car instead of a $30,000 car because of nicer seats + infotainment system), but that doesn't mean it's a bad choice if it aligns with your values. I believe there are no bad choices in budgeting if they are made consciously, in line with your values, without consumer debt.

+1 to the bolded.

Our gym is definitely a luxury expense! It is also pretty much our only one. We never go out to eat, share a car (and both work full time), etc. because spending more on those things would not bring enough happiness to be worth it. I do agree with your premise on overspending creep. It's why I don't pay for one on one coaching, for example. But it would be almost impossible to replicate everything else I get, given my goals, without spending thousands on a home setup. We are definitely lucky to be able to afford this gym option :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:04:20 PM by Lagom »

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #344 on: February 04, 2017, 05:01:08 PM »
My husband came into the marriage with an exercise bike and weight bench, plus we both had bicycles.

I don't really like the cycle in place thing or the bench. I bought some dumbbells, a chinup bar, a couple kettlebells and one of those big balance balls for indoor stuff and they are all ideal for me.

I tried a crossfit gym membership - that was horrible - expensive, and while I understand coaches are trying to push their clients, it was counterproductive for me. The "coaching" just pushed me past my natural limits and led to short term injuries that temporarily incapacitated me. I had stuff like muscle fatigue to the point where I was home alone one night and had to strategize how to get up off the floor because I wasn't able to push up with legs or arms and had even pulled muscles in the palms of my hands. I was rolling around the floor in a ball trying to figure it out, thinking I might be trapped on the floor til my husband came home. So stupid. I quit the gym the next day.

My $$ weakness when it comes to fitness has turned out to be blinging out my bike and self with gear. Homemade, when possible, but I love good headlights, tail lights, reflectors, reflective jackets, pogies, fleece tights, helmet covers, ugh.

I definitely suggest anyone considering crossfit research it extensively and make sure the coaches at their gym are well trained in how to modify exercises and programming based on the needs of clients. I would also hesitate to join any crossfit gym that doesn't harp on form or that uses many, if any AMRAP types of workouts, especially with technical or heavy lifts (e.g. cleans or deadlifts).

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2017, 08:07:57 PM »
I wouldn't call barbells and weights expensive -- usually 50-75 cents/lb. on Craigslist. When we quite the gym(s) a year and a half ago, we were paying 2x$40/month for Gold's, and 1x$50/month for a power/Olympic box. I bought a cheapish bench/lat pulldown/situp combo with a bar and some weights, some more weights and another bar at 50 cents/lb. from a metal working shop, and a treadmill for $50 from a neighbor who was moving. Total investment, about $350. My wife really wanted a spin bike, and paid $400 for one, which I though was overpriced, but agreed to the purchase. The bike is setup in my home office, and I use it 3-4 times/week, so it has been worth it. All that equipment was paid for within six months of no gym fees, and so we have saved over $1500, and have much easier access to the equipment.

Update on my fitness efforts: I worked out for 12 straight days, and on the 13th day, injured myself during my workout. It wasn't an ordinary injury, but a flying log from a misplaced maul strike whacking my knee. My planned lower body workout was cancelled. This adds an additional wrinkle to the upcoming challenge of diet and exercise due to a business trip. I had planned to take advantage of whatever better food options I can, and to do double workouts today and tomorrow, followed by a workout/day Tuesday-Friday. I expected to gain a temporary pound or two because of increased food and drink consumption, but to mitigate the increase by continuing to work out.

My modified plan is to do upper body and abs only, with some swimming as long as I can stand it. If my knee feels better toward the end of the week, I'll resume lower body and bike/treadmill work. Any other ideas for non-impact cardio? A heavy bag maybe? Pushups to exhaustion?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2017, 10:44:23 PM »
I wouldn't call barbells and weights expensive -- usually 50-75 cents/lb. on Craigslist. When we quite the gym(s) a year and a half ago, we were paying 2x$40/month for Gold's, and 1x$50/month for a power/Olympic box. I bought a cheapish bench/lat pulldown/situp combo with a bar and some weights, some more weights and another bar at 50 cents/lb. from a metal working shop, and a treadmill for $50 from a neighbor who was moving. Total investment, about $350. My wife really wanted a spin bike, and paid $400 for one, which I though was overpriced, but agreed to the purchase. The bike is setup in my home office, and I use it 3-4 times/week, so it has been worth it. All that equipment was paid for within six months of no gym fees, and so we have saved over $1500, and have much easier access to the equipment.

Update on my fitness efforts: I worked out for 12 straight days, and on the 13th day, injured myself during my workout. It wasn't an ordinary injury, but a flying log from a misplaced maul strike whacking my knee. My planned lower body workout was cancelled. This adds an additional wrinkle to the upcoming challenge of diet and exercise due to a business trip. I had planned to take advantage of whatever better food options I can, and to do double workouts today and tomorrow, followed by a workout/day Tuesday-Friday. I expected to gain a temporary pound or two because of increased food and drink consumption, but to mitigate the increase by continuing to work out.

My modified plan is to do upper body and abs only, with some swimming as long as I can stand it. If my knee feels better toward the end of the week, I'll resume lower body and bike/treadmill work. Any other ideas for non-impact cardio? A heavy bag maybe? Pushups to exhaustion?

Agree that a reasonable barbell and weights setup can be a relatively affordable option for many, just not powerlifters :)

Knee injuries suck. Heavy bag isn't a bad idea imo. Based on what I am surmising are your goals, once you feel up to it I would also consider heavy sled pulls as an excellent option. Even with a high volume strength program, you can mix them in liberally as they have little to no impact on recovery while providing excellent conditioning benefits. Not that taxing on the knees either as long as they aren't too messed up.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:46:05 PM by Lagom »

Helmet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #347 on: February 05, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »
I'd better get in on the S&F thread this year before it's too late. Since I missed January let's just say I'm 91.67% committed to these goals for 2017:

1. Sub-21:00 5k. My race best is just over 24 minutes back in 2014. I haven't done any running since September of last year but I know I was doing 5k in the 22-23 minute range while training for Hood to Coast.

2. 20 pull ups. It seems like a good round number.

3. 2x bodyweight deadlift. Not a huge number but I'd never picked up a barbell until a couple of years ago (and immediately fell in love) and this is a nice signpost on the road to my ultimate goal of 3x BW. The deadlift is my favorite.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2017, 04:12:59 PM »
I had to search it out, but I found the picture I posted of our home gym. We've added another set of bumper plates since then, and swapped the small speakers for a bigger speaker/amp set up. Also added a white board on the back wall. I'll re-take a photo at some point, but not right now =) Hmm, we also added a rack with a speed rope and some elastic bands on the back wall... okay, I really do need to take a new photo sometime!

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/roughest-mustachian-on-the-nicest-block/msg1216817/#msg1216817
Also! Forgot to post my home gym as previously requested.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »
Love that giant board that says "YES!" Braken_Joy.  Pretty cool motivation.

January Update:

Goals:
--9 strength training days, minimum target was at least 10 :(
--Sleep rules followed ~87% of time, goal was 95%+
--Strength data going up:  doing chin ups unassisted now and horizontal BW rows which are both improvements.  Also was increasing handstand against the wall planks.
--No injuries :)

Wins:
--Didn't let tradeshow trip completely throw me off training.  Trained less than desired, but could have been a lot worse.  Man I hate tradeshows...I can walk all day long, but standing still all day kills me. 
--Hung really dark shades to help with sleep!
--Started meditating, not a lot, but it's a start.

Challenges:
--Sleep...missed multiple days even when I did follow the good sleep rules mentioned earlier in the tread.  Unfortunately this made me miss more excersize days that I wanted to.  To start helping combat this I split my workout in two this weekend and approximately did front/back split sat & sun do do something active on both days (also because I couldn't complete a full workout on either day).  Any workout is better than no workout!  Think I'm finally getting back on track post trade-show.

Next steps:
--Start up normal workouts again next week--I'm actually taking Tuesday off specifically to not stare at computer too much and have energy to work out.
--Continue increasing strength and continue reading and meditation to calm + sleep.
--Should have a big update in the next couple of months work wise if all goes as planned that I'll have to figure out a few things fitness-wise, but excited to do so.