Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 77291 times)

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #850 on: October 17, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
Last week:

4 cardio workouts, 30 minutes each, 3 times on the elliptical and 1 time on the Staircase machine

2 weightlifting workouts, 25 minutes each.

Taught 4 yoga classes, 90 minutes each class.
What style of yoga do you teach? Do you demo as you teach? (I'm a teacher too, but I had a baby a month ago and was on bed rest for the month leading up to birth so I've been out of commission.)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #851 on: October 17, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »
Last week:

4 cardio workouts, 30 minutes each, 3 times on the elliptical and 1 time on the Staircase machine

What style of yoga do you teach? Do you demo as you teach? (I'm a teacher too, but I had a baby a month ago and was on bed rest for the month leading up to birth so I've been out of commission.)

Thanks, I teach Iyengar yoga, and am certified as an Iyengar yoga teacher. Ann Arbor was the first city that BKS Iyengar established his style of alignment oriented yoga back in the mid-1970's. bksiyengar.com

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: October 18, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »
Last week:

Thanks, I teach Iyengar yoga, and am certified as an Iyengar yoga teacher. Ann Arbor was the first city that BKS Iyengar established his style of alignment oriented yoga back in the mid-1970's. bksiyengar.com
I am familiar with Iyengar though I've never been to an actual Iyengar class. I love alignment based yoga. I teach power yoga, I got certified through CorePower Yoga which is a massive commercial yoga chain. Their business model is definitely more "gym yoga" in order to have a broad appeal but they teach alignment based yoga. Books by Baron Baptise and BKS Iyengar were both used for instruction.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #853 on: October 26, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
Back for an end of year update. Ran. 1/2 marathon past weekend, which was not one of my original goals. Placed first in my age group at my last sprint triathlon.

Qualified for age group nationals in Olympic distance triathlon due to my finish at my last triathlon. Decided to go because I can drive there. Donít have any of the fancy equipment and judging from finish times from this years nationals, Iíll be in the bottom quintile. Decided Iíd rather say that I went than that I qualified. So Iím going to go. Will take myself 10% more seriously this year. 😂😜

SCUBAstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #854 on: October 27, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
Back for an end of year update. Ran. 1/2 marathon past weekend, which was not one of my original goals. Placed first in my age group at my last sprint triathlon.

Qualified for age group nationals in Olympic distance triathlon due to my finish at my last triathlon. Decided to go because I can drive there. Donít have any of the fancy equipment and judging from finish times from this years nationals, Iíll be in the bottom quintile. Decided Iíd rather say that I went than that I qualified. So Iím going to go. Will take myself 10% more seriously this year. 😂😜

That's quite an achievement - congratulations! I agree with you, if you qualified, definitely go! I'd be proud to come in dead last at an event like that, personally. :-)

Captain DIY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DIY to FI
« Reply #855 on: October 30, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »
Boy, looks like I'm a little late for the party as usual! That's ok, I'm gonna dive in and say where I want to go, and I'll look for next year's post soon.
I am just starting Week 3 of my goal to hit the exercise bicycle in my basement every weekday morning, and so far so good. I was just thinking this morning that I need to step up the intensity a bit, as it felt a little lame.
I have also stepped up my strength training again in the last few months, with the ultimate goal of Being Able to Lift Really Heavy Shit. I give myself 3 days a week, one day focused on Deadlifts and other pulling, another day on Bench/Overhead Press and other pushing, and of course the third day on squats and other leg stuff.
I haven't yet set any tangible goals there, but I will just so I can have something to post on this thread.
I also went through a phase a few years ago of trying to build as much weightlifting equipment as possible for as little money as possible, with some great equipment to show for it. The Buff Dudes channel on youtube, specifically featuring their dad DIY Duke, is a great resource in this respect.
Build, Learn, Grow
diytofi.blog

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #856 on: October 30, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »
I lost an 87 week gym streak last week.

I am traveling 4-5+ days a week right now, and am just a mess. Need serious motivation to get my fitness routine back on track.

Dropped and did pushups in the airport yesterday and was at half my usual max.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #857 on: November 04, 2017, 01:18:14 PM »
Eight month check-in.  Still losing weight with little effect on body fat percentage.

Input Goal: Run 130x / 10 months = 13x/month.
Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, July 12x, August 12x, September 11x, October 10.
Total runs 77. 

Results Goal:  Drop from 33% body fat to 30%.
Results: Body fat now maybe 31%. 

Notes:  Foot pain has not improved.  Had been improving a little; raised workout effort slightly, got immediate skyrocketing in arch pain.  Revisited doctor, was instructed to reduce running.  Will do so grudgingly but seek some alternate exercise.

Have been doing prescribed physical therapy to work on short head tendonitis.  Feels more painful than before, but PT claims we are on track to resolve probably this month.  I hope they're right!  However, they also sternly instructed me to not add any strength work until they're done.

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #858 on: November 14, 2017, 10:10:32 AM »
Almost the end of the year.

Bulk to 215óDONE, cut to 201 and am back to bulking, @204 lbs at present.

1x5 Rack Pulls @455lbsóDONE, did 1x6 @455lbs this week.

1x5 Weighted Dips @90lbsóALMOST DONE, did 1x4 with 90lbs last week, will try 1x5 tomorrow.

1x5 Weighted Chin Ups @90lbsóNot even close, I dropped the weight and Iíve been doing a much slower approach, lots of volume.  At 10lbs currently, doing 3-7 rep sets, adding weight each time I reach my target reps.

LifeHappens

• Magnum Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #859 on: November 14, 2017, 11:25:48 AM »
Ran a 5k today in 38:21. My goal now is to run 1x per week to maintain my endurance and work on my biking distance. I want to be able to cover 20 easy miles on my roadbike by the end of January.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #860 on: November 16, 2017, 09:52:20 AM »
I was thinking of starting with some basic lifting, but I discovered that I literally don't have the shoulder mobility to hold a barbell on my shoulders. WTF? Has anyone had this problem? Did any sort of shoulder mobility exercises help?

Pic for illustration - my shoulder/arms cannot physically rotate back enough to hold the bar on my shoulders - I can't get down below the back of my head, or, if I strain, my neck. Of note, my left side is significantly worse than my right (by probably 10 degrees or so). Could this be because I had dislocated my shoulder at some point previously?

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #861 on: November 16, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »
Almost the end of the year.

Bulk to 215óDONE, cut to 201 and am back to bulking, @204 lbs at present.

1x5 Rack Pulls @455lbsóDONE, did 1x6 @455lbs this week.

1x5 Weighted Dips @90lbsóALMOST DONE, did 1x4 with 90lbs last week, will try 1x5 tomorrow.

1x5 Weighted Chin Ups @90lbsóNot even close, I dropped the weight and Iíve been doing a much slower approach, lots of volume.  At 10lbs currently, doing 3-7 rep sets, adding weight each time I reach my target reps.

I find this highly impressive overall.  The inspiration continues.

LifeHappens

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #862 on: November 16, 2017, 11:50:39 AM »
@flan - the pic you shared shows the hands REALLY close together for that squat. Is that the posture you're trying to emulate? Or can you not get both hands *anywhere* on the bar? If the latter, your mobility is pretty awful and needs some attention, possibly even PT. I went through a couple months of PT on my right shoulder last winter and it's done wonders, so I recommend it!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #863 on: November 16, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
I was thinking of starting with some basic lifting, but I discovered that I literally don't have the shoulder mobility to hold a barbell on my shoulders. WTF? Has anyone had this problem? Did any sort of shoulder mobility exercises help?

Have you tried squats on a Smith machine vs free range barbell as that might give you a little more stability starting out.

Also maybe try different foot/leg positions.  I say this only bc I have a shoulder issue that I can't quite figure out.  It makes it really painful to do a nice-looking warrior 1 type pose in yoga and it is much more noticeable with my left leg forward vs right.  So perhaps explore and also see what a wide stance might do or a lunge position. 

For stretching, I would try stretching your bicep (google bicep stretch against wall as I find that one super effective).

Then for the shoulder, check out: https://nancynelsonyoga.com/2014/01/29/8-stretches-for-your-tight-shoulders/ 
I find 1, 2, 3 and 7 most helpful for me (though I just googled to find these pix, I don't actually use this site). 

I've had a little improvement but probably not consistent enough with the stretching.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
« Reply #864 on: November 16, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
5K PR today

24:25

on my lunch break, working from home =D
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

29 Months till FI - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
« Reply #865 on: November 16, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
I set a ton of goals in the 2016 challenge and only successfully attained ~50%. I realize now that some were unrealistic and  I didn't have much structure to my approach.

This year I have goals in 4 categories - Strength, Endurance, Speed, Physique

Strength
Deadlift 625lbs Missed - hit 600x1 and quit powerlifting in March in favor of triathlon training.
Squat 495lbs - hit 455x1 and same ^
Bench 365lbs  hit 355x1 ^
Compete in at least 1 USAPL Powerlifing meet. Negavite

Endurance
Run a half marathon technically yes, because LP had 13.1 mile run
Complete Ironman Lake PLacid 70.3  sub 8 Hours Success, beat this goal by over 30 min
Do one Century Cycle Ride (100 miles +) Missed, longest ride was 66 miles
Swim 1+ mile open water. Swam 1.2 at placid but did 1 mile open water swim in training prior.

Speed
Run a sub 7:00 Mile 7:30 is my fastest this year
Run a sub 24:00 5K 24:25 today, I have time to get this one done
Run a sub 50:00 10k ^ Ditto
Beat last year's Sprint Triathlon record Diceded not to do any Sprint distance races this year
Cycle 25 miles in 1 hour I think I missed this one

Physique
Drop 25lbs by my 30th birthday (May 9th) Currently 234.8lbs Miss, but I am down to 214.8, so 20lbs overall
Get to sub 200lbs by September 10th 2017 ( IMLP 70.3 race) 220 on race day
Keep lean body mass above 175lbs Easy when you're still fat ;)

Well, some of these will have to carry into the 2018 thread :)
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

29 Months till FI - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #866 on: November 20, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »
5K PR today

24:25

on my lunch break, working from home =D

Well done!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #867 on: November 21, 2017, 08:57:08 PM »
@flan - the pic you shared shows the hands REALLY close together for that squat. Is that the posture you're trying to emulate? Or can you not get both hands *anywhere* on the bar? If the latter, your mobility is pretty awful and needs some attention, possibly even PT. I went through a couple months of PT on my right shoulder last winter and it's done wonders, so I recommend it!

LifeHappens + Drole - I cannot get both hands on the bar *anywhere* and have it over my head. My mobility IS awful. I was shocked I could not do this whatsoever!

LifeHappens

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #868 on: November 22, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »

LifeHappens + Drole - I cannot get both hands on the bar *anywhere* and have it over my head. My mobility IS awful. I was shocked I could not do this whatsoever!
Oh, boy. That is pretty limiting. I used to follow Mobility WOD. There is a book, "Becoming a Supple Leopard" that explains a lot of the stretches, but at your stage, I think literally any kind of stretching, yoga, etc. would be helpful.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #869 on: November 28, 2017, 07:34:34 AM »

Oh, boy. That is pretty limiting. I used to follow Mobility WOD. There is a book, "Becoming a Supple Leopard" that explains a lot of the stretches, but at your stage, I think literally any kind of stretching, yoga, etc. would be helpful.

Pretty sure we have that, and some videos in the resource post here.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

CM*TO - Ticket Lottery

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #870 on: November 28, 2017, 07:53:24 AM »
Starting a part-time job today at a high-end fitness studio, which will not only hook me up with some cash but also a free unlimited fitness membership at a gym that costs $225/month. So now I get all the pilates reformer, barre, spinning, and indoor rowing my heart desires.

...Please stay tuned for me getting back the 4-pack abs of my youth.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #871 on: November 28, 2017, 04:14:04 PM »

Pretty sure we have that, and some videos in the resource post here.

Thank you, LifeHappens and jordanread! I'm gonna look into some of those flexibility resources. Interestingly, I did some testing, and it seems that it is mostly my LEFT shoulder rotation that is limited by 10-15 degrees compared to my right (which is not super flexible, but at least can lay flat against a wall with arm in a right angle). I am almost wondering whether the "improved" right shoulder flexibility is because I have been pressing my coffee with my right arm/shoulder for the last year+? How odd. I've switched arms for pressing coffee in the mornings JUST IN CASE!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #872 on: December 14, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »
@flan  I just saw your mobility question! (Haven't checked this thread in ages). YES, I had pretty bad mobility starting out. For me, it was front rack position- I couldn't raise my elbows. Turned out for me tight lats were a key component.

Here's some KStar videos that might help: https://youtu.be/skHV4sTF3hI and https://youtu.be/mD9NtKH8ZyA His content is usually just wonderful. Video quality is terrible ;)
It sounds like what you have is the same we've been dealing with for my BIL, and it's (sadly enough) often called "computer hunch", "programmer's shoulders" that sorta thing. It's also sometimes called "runners shoulders", which IIRC you run, so could be related to that. Also when you sit a lot, and roll your shoulders forward. My understanding is: It results in a lack of external rotation of the shoulder. This can be lat tightness, pec tightness, scapular retraction issues, or just not having the muscular cues/awareness down.

Anyway, I don't know a ton about it, but I figured giving some terminology and resources might help in your quest for improvement =)
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #873 on: December 14, 2017, 04:28:05 PM »
@flan  I just saw your mobility question! (Haven't checked this thread in ages). YES, I had pretty bad mobility starting out. For me, it was front rack position- I couldn't raise my elbows. Turned out for me tight lats were a key component.

Here's some KStar videos that might help: https://youtu.be/skHV4sTF3hI and https://youtu.be/mD9NtKH8ZyA His content is usually just wonderful. Video quality is terrible ;)
It sounds like what you have is the same we've been dealing with for my BIL, and it's (sadly enough) often called "computer hunch", "programmer's shoulders" that sorta thing. It's also sometimes called "runners shoulders", which IIRC you run, so could be related to that. Also when you sit a lot, and roll your shoulders forward. My understanding is: It results in a lack of external rotation of the shoulder. This can be lat tightness, pec tightness, scapular retraction issues, or just not having the muscular cues/awareness down.

Anyway, I don't know a ton about it, but I figured giving some terminology and resources might help in your quest for improvement =)

Dude. My sitting-at-a-computer (my normal workday) to running ratio is roughly 500 hours to 1. Lately, it's been infinity : 0, so the "programmer's shoulders" would make sense!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #874 on: December 14, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »
Iíhe recently started doing this multiple times a day to help compensate for deskprison.

Streatch for rounded shoulders:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GcV1Qdt686E