Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 53983 times)

Drole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #800 on: August 02, 2017, 12:11:07 AM »
A quick July recap.

Worked out/did something 30 of 31 days (much less running but much more HIIT).  Eliminated dairy and nuts from diet.

No scale available but seeing/feeling a difference.

Plan is to continue on this workout program while cutting until 21 Aug. 

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #801 on: August 02, 2017, 05:43:56 AM »
Set up camp on a treadmill at my local gym this evening. 10.5km in 60 minutes - exactly the pace needed to do a 1/2 marathon in 2 hours.

The toughest battle for me is head and feet - staying mentally strong, and ignoring the niggling foot soreness. At the end of it I felt like I could do another 3 to 4 kms quite easy, but the full 21.1 I think would really have been a stretch. The gym started closing so I couldn't find out!

Anyway, have 6 weeks to sort it out before the big day.

I was surprised at the calorie burn (903) that the machine said... this means 1800 for the HM   :O

hudsoncat

• Stubble
« Reply #802 on: August 02, 2017, 11:37:14 AM »
https://money.good.is/articles/german-man-swims-to-work?utm_content=inf_10_81_2&c=tse1&tse_id=INF_354b9f3076eb11e785e8bfcdfe5d7856

I'm pretty impressed with the folks who cycle to work every day (I'm kind of a fair weather, when I feel like it cycle to work person <- working on it), but I'm even more impressed with this. Not sure this thread was the most natural fit, but also wasn't sure t needed it's own thread.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #803 on: August 05, 2017, 01:18:56 AM »
Ran a 10k race through the local national park today.

I have never ever finished in the top 10 of a running race before in my life. I don't care that there were only 14 people running, the fact I managed to beat 5 of them is something to smile about! :D :D :D

Think I did it in about 56 minutes, quite an undulating track which made it hard to get into a consistent rhythm.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #804 on: August 05, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »

I have never ever finished in the top 10 of a running race before in my life. I don't care that there were only 14 people running, the fact I managed to beat 5 of them is something to smile about! :D :D :D

Think I did it in about 56 minutes, quite an undulating track which made it hard to get into a consistent rhythm.

Way to go, Marty998!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #805 on: August 05, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
Five month check-in.  Continued gradual progress. 

Input Goal: Run 130x / 10 months = 13x/month.
Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, May 12x.
Total runs 44, avg 8.8/month,  68% of target rate.  Slow start, now on track.

Results Goal:  Drop from 33% body fat to 30%.
Results: Body fat now 28.75%.

Notes:  Dropped from 164.8 lbs to 151.5 lbs so far.  Waist down from 39.25 inches to 36.25.  Continuing track workouts that started in mid-May.  By appearance, am getting more toned.

WHY AM I IN THIS THREAD
Just occurred to me to state this...
1. Ya'll are very inspirational.
2. What I'm inspired to do is first get my cardio back and lose some fat, then gradually strengthen my core and overall muscles.
3. So yes, I appear to be measuring mostly cardio-related stuff and weight loss, but I'm on my way towards resistance work and building strength. 
4. So I'm here because strength is a real goal.  Even if I'm not expecting to complete the whole package in one little year.
5. I'm reasonably knowledgeable about running, less so about strength.  This thread is educational, which I will need to progress without undue injury.
6. Thanks for letting me join!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:45:10 AM by Bicycle_B »

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #806 on: August 07, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »
Still recovering from a cold this week, but my 2-mile treadmill time is back down to 16 minutes.  Next step is to try that out on a track and see if it holds.  Still researching what path to take on weight training.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • CFO
« Reply #807 on: August 07, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
I completely forgot about this thread over the past few months.

I raced an Olympic distance Triathlon on June 4th with barely any training. It was such a wake up call for my IRONMAN 70.3 race in September that I dove headfirst into a formal training program to peak for that race.

Went from no training, to in the past 4 weeks....

~300 miles biked
~75 miles ran
~5,000 yards swam

I am finally down to 221-222 lbs, from my high of 235 Jan 1st.

Down to a low of 216lbs I saw last week.

Last Saturday I did my longest training ride to date - 66 miles

This Saturday I did my longest training run to date - 10 miles

Last weekend I did my longest swim to date - 1.15 miles
"A small house can hold as much happiness as a big one." - Fortune Cookie

33 Months till FIRE - Stop by, or stay a while.....
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/fire-by-thirty-five-chronicles-36-months-till-sabbatical!/

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #808 on: August 08, 2017, 01:41:19 AM »
I completely forgot about this thread over the past few months.

I raced an Olympic distance Triathlon on June 4th with barely any training. It was such a wake up call for my IRONMAN 70.3 race in September that I dove headfirst into a formal training program to peak for that race.

Went from no training, to in the past 4 weeks....

~300 miles biked
~75 miles ran
~5,000 yards swam

I am finally down to 221-222 lbs, from my high of 235 Jan 1st.

Down to a low of 216lbs I saw last week.

Last Saturday I did my longest training ride to date - 66 miles

This Saturday I did my longest training run to date - 10 miles

Last weekend I did my longest swim to date - 1.15 miles

Great progress 2Birds! Looks like you are in a good position for your Ironman 70.3 in September.

Five month check-in.  Continued gradual progress. 

Input Goal: Run 130x / 10 months = 13x/month.
Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, May 12x.
Total runs 44, avg 8.8/month,  68% of target rate.  Slow start, now on track.

Results Goal:  Drop from 33% body fat to 30%.
Results: Body fat now 28.75%.

Notes:  Dropped from 164.8 lbs to 151.5 lbs so far.  Waist down from 39.25 inches to 36.25.  Continuing track workouts that started in mid-May.  By appearance, am getting more toned.

WHY AM I IN THIS THREAD
Just occurred to me to state this...
1. Ya'll are very inspirational.
2. What I'm inspired to do is first get my cardio back and lose some fat, then gradually strengthen my core and overall muscles.
3. So yes, I appear to be measuring mostly cardio-related stuff and weight loss, but I'm on my way towards resistance work and building strength. 
4. So I'm here because strength is a real goal.  Even if I'm not expecting to complete the whole package in one little year.
5. I'm reasonably knowledgeable about running, less so about strength.  This thread is educational, which I will need to progress without undue injury.
6. Thanks for letting me join!!

You are inspirational, BB! Solid ramp-up on your running frequency, and seeing results too.

Nice! As much as I try to tell myself that fitness is only a competition with myself, there's undeniable pleasure in placing well. Even in a small field. Sound like a fun trail run.

I haven't checked in for a few months. Here is my July update:

Totals from my Garmin for July (And annual goal progress):
8 runs for 44 miles (no goal for running)
4 soccer matches (no goal for soccer)
6 hikes for 55 miles (no goal for hiking)
0 bodyweight workouts (abandoned this as an annual goal)
14 yoga classes (well ahead of schedule for the year)
5 bike rides for 145 miles (no goal for cycling)

Strength progress (context is the Reddit bodyweightfitness recommended routine):
I decided to abandon strength training this summer. I wasn't enjoying it and I wanted to give myself more time to do the things I was enjoying more, like hiking. I am giving myself permission to stop strength training completely for the summer and will consider starting strength workouts again when the weather gets worse, around October.

Flexibility progress:
I have abandoned flexibility as a result goal. I was not making any measurable progress, my right hamstring still felt tighter than my left and on the edge of injury while I was stretching. I am continuing to go to yoga frequently and stretch occasionally on my own. I saw a physical therapist, who told me that for someone who is a strong runner, my hip and hamstring range of motion is not out of the ordinary (I can touch my toes, barely). He said that I should focus work on the twisting exercises and lower back release in yoga. I would still like to improve flexibility, but I am trying to be easier on myself and be happy with whatever small improvements happen organically in yoga classes. Perhaps after a few months of yoga, I'll try again with a stretching regimen.

Running:
At the end of June, I ran for a mile PR inspired by the Strava challenge that month and I was very happy to run my fastest ever mile, 5:04. I'd still like to break 5 minutes one day, but not focusing on that right now. The summer months are so precious in Seattle, I'm trying to use my current fitness to get out and enjoy the mountains rather than pound the pavement too much with intervals etc.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #809 on: August 08, 2017, 03:23:39 AM »
At the end of June, I ran for a mile PR inspired by the Strava challenge that month and I was very happy to run my fastest ever mile, 5:04.

Whoa that's quick. If I ever get down to that level for a mile I'd be cheering.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: August 08, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
Last week I did cardio 5 times - 3 times on the Stairmaster, 30 min. each, - 2 times on the elliptical 30 min, and 23 min. workouts.
I did weightlifting 3 times, 25 minutes each time ( all muscle groups ).
And I taught 5 yoga classes.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #811 on: August 09, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
With my new job I have the time available to work out for an hour in the morning and at lunch on most days.  I want to make the best of it, but I also need to be careful about overdoing it.  My fitness requirement is 2 minute of pushups, 2 minutes of sit ups, and a 2 mile run.  I also want to build up my joints to prevent any more injuries. I have the start of a routine that I'd like some feedback on:

Monday - morning: treadmill run 2 miles
Tuesday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Wednesday - morning: treadmill hill runs; afternoon: leg exercises
Thursday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Friday - morning: treadmill run 3-5 miles; afternoon: ?
Sat-Sun: rest

Does this make sense? Am I missing anything or doing too much of something? There will be mornings where I don't work out and will likely combine my morning and afternoon routines if I have the time.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #812 on: August 10, 2017, 07:52:51 AM »
I might add some gentle stretching.

Here's an interesting article that questions weight loss strategies via exercise

Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy
https://nyti.ms/2uFxUgW

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: August 10, 2017, 09:53:26 AM »
I might add some gentle stretching.

Here's an interesting article that questions weight loss strategies via exercise

Exercise as a Weight-Loss Strategy
https://nyti.ms/2uFxUgW

I'm 5'10 and 160lbs. Weight loss is definitely not my concern.  I have discovered the need for a lot more stretching though. I'm waking up pretty sore.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #814 on: August 10, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »
Oh yes your weight is fine. It was just an interesting informational article.

facepalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #815 on: August 13, 2017, 03:01:43 PM »
With my new job I have the time available to work out for an hour in the morning and at lunch on most days.  I want to make the best of it, but I also need to be careful about overdoing it.  My fitness requirement is 2 minute of pushups, 2 minutes of sit ups, and a 2 mile run.  I also want to build up my joints to prevent any more injuries. I have the start of a routine that I'd like some feedback on:

Tuesday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Thursday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps

Does this make sense? Am I missing anything or doing too much of something? There will be mornings where I don't work out and will likely combine my morning and afternoon routines if I have the time.

What kinds of set/rep scheme are you following, and at what percentage of 1RM?

I see you are doing a two day split routine wth a bunch of cardio thrown in, and basically working your legs 4-5 days per week. Way too much leg work, especially with the running, unless your volume is super light.  Drop the leg work on Wednesdays. And since you only have to be able to run two miles, for the time being stick to that. Also, drop the rowing or else substitute it for one day of running. The last thing I would want to do after a back workout is row.

You might also consider doing abs on your running days. I would not work abs and lower back same day, unless your volume is super low.

Good luck with your training!

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #816 on: August 13, 2017, 03:11:52 PM »
I felt a little inspired this morning. Got up at 5am, went for a 3k light run.

Feels incredible for a Monday morning. If I hadn't done that I would have dragged myself out of bed at the usual 6am... stumbled around with breakfast and had a shave, reluctantly got dressed and staggered my way half asleep to the train station.

Now I'm on the train feeling bright and alert. I'm going to do this as often as I can now.

brute

• Bristles
« Reply #817 on: August 13, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
Bench is up to 225 for sets of 20. I haven't been trying for max weight on anything since the surgery 4 months ago, but I think I'm going to start strength training again. I've got my eye on a strongman contest in december, so we'll see how that goes. Sitting at 295 today, down 45 pounds since January. 20 more pounds to go, I think i'd like to walk around at 275.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #818 on: August 13, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »

I see you are doing a two day split routine wth a bunch of cardio thrown in, and basically working your legs 4-5 days per week. Way too much leg work, especially with the running, unless your volume is super light.  Drop the leg work on Wednesdays. And since you only have to be able to run two miles, for the time being stick to that. Also, drop the rowing or else substitute it for one day of running. The last thing I would want to do after a back workout is row.

You might also consider doing abs on your running days. I would not work abs and lower back same day, unless your volume is super low.

I've been doing mostly 3 sets of 10.  I might put in another set if I think I can handle more weight.  I've never calculated RM1 so I can't answer that.  While I'm tested on a 2 mile run, I need to have the stamina to go 4 miles since we do that as a group occasionally.  I'm definitely cutting out the rowing since I have to go straight from work to the gym to meet up with my family.  If I cut the Wed afternoon leg workout, are the squats and running enough for leg conditioning or should I be adding something else?

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: August 14, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
Ran half a mile to the gym at lunch, ran for 2.25 miles in 16 minutes on the treadmill, and ran a half mile back.  I didn't have enough time to do anything else today.  At the two mile mark I felt like I still had some gas in the tank so my next speed run I'll bump it up a couple notches.  Tomorrow I want to try deadlifts when I go back to work out.  I've only tried them a couple times and kept hitting my legs. 

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #820 on: August 15, 2017, 02:44:04 AM »
I have been working my way up to doing a HM on the 17th of September.

Today I signed up to do one on the 3rd, mostly as a test run (no pun intended) to see if I can actually survive the distance.

Suddenly with only 2 weeks to go I have a bit less time to freak out about it all which is good too. Will aim to do the first one in 2:06... 6 minutes a kilometre is a little below my 10K pace of ~5:30, the hard part will be actually forcing myself to run at that slower pace.

Can then aim to break 2 hours 2 weeks later.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #821 on: August 15, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »
Have been extremely demotivated around working out, possibly because I hit my "goals" for lifting. I really, really miss classpass and working out in a small group environment every single day, plus the variety. I've gotten lazy with my own workouts, going through the motions.

Though, I have started the splits class, and it is totally helping. I am pretty sure in ~2 weeks I will have my splits on one side. Have been going to yoga about 3-4 days a week at least, as well.

A friend invited me to join her and her partner running a half-marathon in December. It is $70 but I am tempted to do it, regardless, as motivation for keeping up with running. My running lately has only been 10-25 minutes per day on the treadmill in order to warm up for stretching and weight lifting. I'm not getting any "better" at running.

I don't even long to be great at running halfmarathons (I've done 7 or so, including 2 of them in a weekend) but I need a concrete goal to work towards and external accountability. I'm really lacking in working out motivation, at least training for a half-marathon will give me something to work towards.
Bikes, bowie, and business: using glitter to double my net worth by 30 the journal- with 40 less pages than the old journal!

<$25,000 income, 20% savings rate, traveling from Dublin > Shanghai by ferry/train this September.

My personal finance podcast for millennials (and those who love them)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #822 on: August 15, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
Suddenly with only 2 weeks to go I have a bit less time to freak out about it all which is good too. Will aim to do the first one in 2:06... 6 minutes a kilometre is a little below my 10K pace of ~5:30, the hard part will be actually forcing myself to run at that slower pace.
I am extremely jealous. 2:01 is my PR for half-marathons. Still haven't broken the 2 hour mark, possibly because I tiny and have real short legs, most likely cuz I'm not a great runner. Good luck!
Bikes, bowie, and business: using glitter to double my net worth by 30 the journal- with 40 less pages than the old journal!

<$25,000 income, 20% savings rate, traveling from Dublin > Shanghai by ferry/train this September.

My personal finance podcast for millennials (and those who love them)

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #823 on: August 16, 2017, 04:04:05 PM »

I've been doing mostly 3 sets of 10.  I might put in another set if I think I can handle more weight.  I've never calculated RM1 so I can't answer that.  While I'm tested on a 2 mile run, I need to have the stamina to go 4 miles since we do that as a group occasionally.  I'm definitely cutting out the rowing since I have to go straight from work to the gym to meet up with my family.  If I cut the Wed afternoon leg workout, are the squats and running enough for leg conditioning or should I be adding something else?

Yep, definitely overdoing it right now. Between Monday's run and squats/deadlifts yesterday my legs were crushed today.  I was sore and tight and just jogging to the gym was an effort.  I did about half a mile of hills on the treadmill and had to turn it off. About the only thing I could do today was some light arms and abs.  My body is still adjusting to the exertion and I need to sort out the order and frequency of my workouts.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: August 17, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »
I am extremely jealous. 2:01 is my PR for half-marathons. Still haven't broken the 2 hour mark, possibly because I tiny and have real short legs, most likely cuz I'm not a great runner. Good luck!

I once met a woman who had been the women's world champion in the marathon.  She was about 4'10" or 4'11". 

Measure against yourself and not others.  Never accept false limitations though.  Your height allows fantastic running! 

Anyway, best wishes on any future half marathons.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:15:14 PM by Bicycle_B »

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #825 on: Today at 09:13:09 AM »
New goals:
1) By October 21, complete Couch 2 5k program.
2) Continue shoulder rehab exercises a minimum of 3 days per week.

I completed Week 2, Day 1 of Couch 2 5k this morning. It's going well so far, but I want to give myself some extra time to repeat days as needed. I repeated all of Week 1 to condition my legs a bit and I think it helped.